Ys

Serious question. Are the Ys games played for the plot, or just for the gameplay?

Right now I just finished some games, and I suddenly had the urge to go into my backlog to check more out. And I saw that I had Ys Celceta that's why I'm asking.

Gameplay first and foremost. Music is usually great too and the plot can be rather generic or nothing too special at best. That being said, Ys Memories of Celceta is pretty good but the plot gets retarded near the end.

Good gameplay with good music. Plot isn't the worst thing in the world but expect many cliches.

Nobody plays Ys for the plot. It's there and in some games it is interesting if it's connected to the first game, but it's mostly average at best. It's the gameplay and OST that make the games memorable and worth playing.

>Ys Memories of Celceta is pretty good

If they don't play it for the plot I don't know what they play it for other than the music
I played Ys 1 and that game objectively fucking sucks

Then why is Ys popular if it's this divisive coming from the response here?

Its alright.

you are objectively a dork fag nerd lmao

People play it for the gameplay and music. The division usually comes from exclusivity. Seven, Celceta and currently, Lacrimossa of Dana are hated because theyre not available to PC. Seven can be emulated and plays pretty well. Celceta and Dana are Vita exclusives. The 3 are also subject to like it or hate it due to the change to a party combat system which removes jumping and the platforming that makes the Ark of Napishtim games (includes Ark of Napishtim, Oath in Felghana and Origin) so tight.

I'd say all of them are very solid, but Memories in Celceta did go pretty meh during the last part of the game. Ark of Napishtim is also just ok but mainly because its the first game using that engine, and they polished it in Oath and Origin

Ys is anything but popular in the west.

Not according to Falcom.

It's one of the reasons why they started going for PS4 development for their next titles.

The Ys games are all about the gameplay. The story is always secondary.

You CAN play celceta on PC.

Can someone explain why they're all about the gameplay to me
Cause I played Ys I & II Chronicles and they basically require walkthroughs unless you want to wander around the entire map multiple times hitting Use on everything

If you want plot from Falcom you play Trails.

Don't judge the whole series just by I+II. They're a bit archaic nowadays.

... you don't think that's fun...?

I got Oath in Felghana and Origins in a Steam sale, are they any better?

I'll be honest, it's not great, no

They're old Japanese action RPGs. Of course you need a guide to get most things done.

I think that just means that old Japanese action RPGs weren't very well made

Shit was cryptic back in the day. Made so you had to buy guides.

The good gameplay and the fantastic soundtrack. The story is actually pretty interesting, but Ys wasn't made with it in mind. Trails in the Sky and the rest of the Trails series was, however.