STOP FUCKING DOING THIS SHIT

YOUR THOUGHTS?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=F5wAH_Gz77E
youtube.com/watch?v=vM9vWF1j1Pg
youtube.com/watch?v=ppWbb0vM1UU
youtube.com/watch?v=PGuhX5AmjuA
lmgtfy.com/?q=Aim assist
gamesradar.com/pc-gamers-destroyed-console-gamers-in-tests-says-voodoo-pc-founder/
youtube.com/watch?v=XzkCmidjeHc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's fine as long as the takedowns aren't inconsistent to execute and the animations are done well.

I hate them, they should just dissapear.
Give me back equitable melee weapons which I'm allowed to aim on my own.

You realize ALL animations are "scripted"? The animators at the dev studio made them (or captured them if they're lazy).
Anyway, what do you propose? Sneak up on an enemy, play a generic knife swing animation, and watch the enemy turn into a ragdoll?

what is even happening there? he waves his arm near the guy's neck and his head explodes?

Increased FoV makes it look distant, but it's actually very close.

I think they are great as long as they aren't ridiculously lengthy
I don't want to go back to canned slash animations

well ok, but the arm doesn't even react like it hit anything

What's better?
>awkward animation of a melee weapon attack
>npc drops like a bad of sand of the ground
vs
>scripted takedown animation which looks nice but gets boring after a while

They're fine but it really depends on the game.

The reason why they exists and are so frequent, is because consoles users find it (rightfully) awkward to aim at close things with a controllers.

I'll very happily accept inaccurate animations for smoother gameplay which gives me 100% of control.

I prefer the method that doesn't take control out of your hands. It's not about the difficulty of execution or it looking better, I just don't like watching a 1-2 second cutscene you'l likely watch dozens of times over the course of the game. Having full control over melee makes the game feel way faster and less tedious.

Metro is one of those series where I felt like the edgy Nazi faction was actually right

I liked how Last Light made the reds the true villains

It's fine if they take about as long as a normal knife swing would and they don't change the camera position much. Shit like Human Revolution though has to go.

>Liberals are still butthurt about Communists
What else is new?

In 2033 both factions had utter scum and good people who happend to be on the wrong side because of circumstances.
I hated how LL just went ahead and made them both comicbook villian tier.
LL was a very mediocre sequel and a step back in almost every way.

In games like Dishonored it's done ok, you have the choice to kill with a normal melee attack, or you can make a quick takedown animation.

In HR-MD is not, you don't have any other melee tool other than takedowns, which they make a sequence in third person that takes away control from the player, that's also not very well animated and it's too long. It just clashes with everything else about the game. Plus, you can't make dragon tooth runs, fuck that.

It's pretty stupid, especially in multiplayer games. I can let it slide in singleplayer but I'd still rather it not be there.

THEY INTERRUPT THE flow of gameplay far too much imo they feel like shit, they feel like it's not me doing stuff, it feels like the controls are ripped away from me so the devs can gloat "Look! Look at our animation team! Look what we can do! Okay, back to the game :)" every twenty seconds of combat.

Especially when they're combined with crap like 'the player is invincible while doing it' or 'the enemies stop attacking while the player is doing it', it's shit.

"Scripted" refers to the canned, static, movie choreography-like jerkyness of them. What's the industry accepted term, then, huh?

The former. Art should serve the gameplay. There's no need to lie about a dichotomy (even though you're just giving a hypothetical question, not saying it has to be one or the other) so artists have plenty of room to make good combat look and feel nice without resorting to that shit.

Human Revolution is a great example of how not to handle melee combat in a game. That game also has big issues with meshing its gameplay with its narrative and how the main character (Glasses and beard third person Jensen) fits with the effective player character (Mute psycopath first person "Jensen").

No shit you fucking dunce.

I see your point, but it does look kind of janky. Also having loose gameplay with no commitment or time cost to your actions isn't necessarily better. Lots of japanese games make you commit to an animation to do things and I think it's much better than the western way.

Also way less repetitive.
In FEAR every melee fight plays out different no matter how often you use your kung-fu.

Serious Sam 3 did it the best desu

They are fine as long as they are not the focus of the gameplay and do not interrupt the gameplay flow. Obviously if they are gonna end up being shit animations then don't bother at all.

Also take make them a throw, as in an animation that triggers by connecting with another animation, like the parries in Nioh and Dragon's Dogma. Don't make them 1 button press with 5 mile hitbox and the player won't even notice. FUCK Shadow of Mordor.

Uncharted 4 multiplayer is the only game to have done this well, you need to wind up your grappling hook for one hit ko, thus if anyone looked around in time you'd fill them full of lead.

Fuck instant gratification, there should be more to it than stealth and getting bum raped. Even having to swap out to your melee weapon and slow animation to perform it.

>muh consoles

Will this meme ever die?

No, this is the best thing about new Battlefield games. There's such satisfaction in sneaking behind one of those useless sniper faggots and triggering the animation and all he can do is just sit there and watch his little character getting stabbed because he's a stupid fucking shit who not only doesn't change position after every kill, but never fucking moves or does anything useful for the entire game. But hey, eppin snipez doe lolz xD. Fags.

I don't mind as long as there is a good variety of short and good animations, especially if they react to the environment and your positioning
DOOM fucking nailed this

is this on a really low difficulty or is melee just good in Fear?

i like shooters with good melee.

I'd take a short takedown animation over an awkward manual melee swing kill any day.

Melee is just that op. The slide is an instant kill on regular soldiers. Same in the second game. And in multiplayer too.

I have no problem with them as long as they are short. Better than slashing at someone's knees and having them fall over dead.

Bulletstorm has some good moments

I really like how you are using the webm of the game with the scripted takedowns to make your point.

>he's a stupid fucking shit who not only doesn't change position after every kill

Fucking kek

You either never snipe in BF games or you are just as useless a shithead as the knife bait bush wookies, you are just sitting on the other side of the spectrum. My guess is that you are just another shit player in general as only those parrot the Snipers aren't useful meme. Bad snipers aren't useful, good snipers can turn whole games. You don't change positions after every kill, this isn't a fucking sim, all you need is basic situational awareness.

I fucking loved sniping in BC2 when that meme was at it's highest, people got confused when i would end up at the top pf the leader board.

I hate this shit, they are too long and you end up seeing them hundreds or thousands of times. Far prefer a swipe knife or an equipable knife that is satisfying to just stab someone for an instant kill like TF2 or old Battlefield games instead of watching the same long canned animation over and over.

>muh control

>I should be in control 300% of the time

Okay Arin "Aryan" Handso

Only on Adrenaline kills, and those are terrible and if you've played the game you'd know they stick out like a sore thumb, proving my arguments. Fortunately you can are able to circumvent them by doing late swings, jump swings, magic, ranged daggers, etc. So yeah, it's a fitting example.

I like what Hitman pre-absolution did.
You could "take down enemies", but you had to ready your weapon and attack from behind.

Ruined it in Absolution by just making it where you press a button and bam, ded.

>went out of his way to suggest reason without shitting on console users
>you still bring up meymey shit

Close the door on the way out.

You have a choice to not use them and there are free aimable alternatives to them.

Even the adrenaline kills have variations which let you aim manually.

is this God Hand?

thank god I never got it, looks terrible, IGN was right

It's a post literally saying scripted takedowns exist solely because of consoles. Fuck off.

You gotta try harder than that.

It's interesting to compare God Hand to RE6 though. RE6 feels a lot more imprecise due to how the animations tend to snap and auto-aim. RE6 is also more repetitive, but its punchy combat is only for one character so whatever.

>In games like Dishonored it's done ok, you have the choice to kill with a normal melee attack, or you can make a quick takedown animation.

I liked them in Dishonored because they're so damn quick and brutal. You never feel like game is wasting your time with a fancy animation because they want you to see it frame by frame. It's neat at first, but grows old real fast. Just like constant swipe animation in new Thief whenever you steal something.

I know people praise dark messiah for its combat, but playing it I realized its still just clunky and akward
first person melee combat always was and always will be shit no matter what

>triggered sniperfaggot

Literally no contribution to the team, your opinion is irrelevant. Just go play COD, laddy.

Even if it does, the damage is done and the next generation of developers will believe this is how games must be made.

It's not clunky or akward at all, you just need to become proficient.

The real problem is press X to do cool shit nonsense.

They set up these elaborate scenarios but you never actually get to play any of it. You press a single button and your character goes into cutscene mode to look as badass as possible while you sit there doing nothing.

Except when the shit netcode/tickrate reads your front stabs as a backstab.

>remember to tap RB to breathe

Yep, it's a muh objective ticket hogging minced meat assault faggot

Keep respawning and running towards that com like a mindless drone, you're """""""""objective play""""""""" is a real credit to the team

It's really. What's your problem with it? Motion sickness?

Nice reading comprehension senpai

I think they work in some games.
Never bothered me in Manhunt but hated them in Deus Ex HR for example. Manhunt is probably the exception though since it fits the snuff film theme of the game.

>its still just clunky and akward
Feel free to elaborate. I think it has a great sense of weight and the physics based nature and amount of options the player has gives it a nice amount of depth and choice. The magic is especially fun. Though the balance in regard to harder difficulty modes is a little bad. What do you dislike about it, specifically?

this is why I won't touch Desu Ex

>become proficient
oh yeah, ragdollizing or staggering your enemy with every second hit sure is hard

You want to play a videogame yourself?
Fuck off.

Either that or a retarded QTE.

It's a good point though, Battlefield never had them till Bad Company, Halo added them with Reach, the more multiplatform a shooter goes them more they pop up like with Far Cry, it's clearly an influence from consoles, maybe not the 100% reason but then again you may be reading too much into the original post and spazing out at the possibility consoles may more or less the reason for them.

I mean seriously. How can people like these games? Terrible animations and sound effects.

look at your webm or this the physics and reaction of the enemies are ridiculously exaggerated which makes it feel like you're fighting dolls
there is a reason why that kicking meme took off

I miss sending dudes flopping 5 feet through the air from being stabbed in Battlefield.

I found RE6 combat to be the best one in the series. I wish the walk speed while aiming was in par with dead space but it somewhat made up with the dodge.

So are we pretending that Halo is a "PC fps" now? Is that what we are doing?

Wow, it's almost like the actual argument is that it's a sign of the times and not platforms.

I like them as long as they're short and to the point.

Honestly it feels really stupid to just kind of slash at someone's ankles and then they die instantly without a sound.

Scripted kill sequences are fine in stealth games. I've been playing Styx lately and it kind of adds a bit of extra difficulty, especially when you have a choice between a quick but loud kill or a slow but silent murder. One lets you go in, get a kill, and get out with less time spent outside of the shadows, while the other is much slower and increases your risk of being seen, but is a lot quiter and reduces your risk of being heard.

>Kill animations
>In a multiplayer game
>If it makes you vulnerable to damage you won't use them because they will get you kill
>If it makes you unvulnerable to damage everyone will complain about them
Just don't put kill animations in multiplayer games please.

It was just an example of a console shooter adding them in, are you really going to deny that kill animations etc make more sense on console and are obviously having an influence on multi plats? why does Stalker have none and Metro/Far Cry etc have tons, hell you can't even loot animal corpses in Far Cry without watching the same animation a hundred times.

Not that guy but you're a bit of a spastic.

I can't go into it right now, but trust me on this ok.

my biggest gripe with revengeance
the cutting mechanic itself is pretty cool but having to wait 5 seconds for raiden to take out the enemy's fuel cell, sometimes jumping around like a fucking fairy and finally crushing it got extremely annoying extremely fast, especially since it took longer the more enemies you cut down at the same time and it affects your total score

What's wrong with that? You hit someone with a heavy sword, they fall over or stagger. With how fragile the player is, it works fine. Most important of all is that It's really fun. You're still not offering up a real argument here, you know? You're just saying "it feels x" which is just a personal assessment, not something that will enlighten people.

It's good. Levels are bad though. Game tries so hard to obscure its nice CQC combat, from the gun enemies of Chris's campaign, to the grossly cinematic nature of Leon's.

>not having gears of war style conga lines where every takes turns dying

and you're a faggot
trust me on this I asked your mum

Generally speaking it's very easy to make fascist factions look appealing in a post apocalyptic or similar setting without really even meaning too.
Take Caesars Legion in New Vegas for example, their portrayal in the game is very nearly that of an Ork Waaaaaagh from the Warhammer universe but despite that the faction remains a somewhat appealing prospect for the future of the Mojave.

There's some very interesting things you can do with exploring various ideologies and societal models in video games because something that most would outright claim is deplorable at its mere mention (like again, fascism for example) can be explored in an impartial way where the judgement ultimately lies in the players hands after they themselves have experienced its implementation first hand.

I'm tired and I don't know that anything I said made sense or is even remotely relevant

M8 your reason for the combat being clunky was that ragdolls are exaggerated.

You're definitely a spastic.

>THEY INTERRUPT THE flow of gameplay far too much
how? The animations last like a maximum of one second and they fucking kill an enemy from full health without using any ammo. They take control away from you for that second as a trade-off precisely BECAUSE the takedowns are powerful enough to insta-kill enemies - so that you make sure not to do it right in front of 50 other enemies who'll shoot you to death during that one second. You have to plan and position your attacks so you can do the takedown with no one noticing / out of the line of fire.

Not to mention it looks literally 100 times better than slashing someone with a knife in a game like CS GO

I unironically think that Battlefield (3/4) do it perfectly.

Quick, simple and not over the top.

>that sudden stare then limp death

>youtube.com/watch?v=F5wAH_Gz77E
>youtube.com/watch?v=vM9vWF1j1Pg

I take HRs and MDs takedowns any fucking time over the original one's.

Bad Company 2 did the perfect melee kill mechanic.

youtube.com/watch?v=ppWbb0vM1UU

It actually felt like you were stabbing someone because it kinda dragged your aim towards your enemy ala DOOM chainsaw without being an actual melee scripted sequence so you could move away at will.

Pardon the shitty montage video

If the animations are good, then I prefer them. Just slashing someone with a knife like in old shool COD looks awful and fucking degenerate.

Siege does it well, there's one character in the whole game with a kill animation, it can only be used on downed enemies, it takes a couple secs to complete, she's not invulnerable when doing it, the reward of pulling it off is that it reveals the location of the enemy team for around 8 secs.

Alright guys, where does Yakuza fit in on this argument?

Since I don't really have a problem with 'em

Yes i am going to deny that. It's the fucking point of my first post to begin with,

These is not an argument in anyone's mind but the mustard retards. It's based on fucking nothing,

>I dun liek fing
>fckin consoles reeeee

Not to mention it's not a 100% guaranteed kill. The hit reg in bf games can be shit but a few times I've managed to shoot a guy to death mid-lunge and survive his knife.

>The animations last like a maximum of one second
Depends on the game
>Not to mention it looks literally 100 times better than slashing someone with a knife in a game like CS GO
CSGO just does it poorly. They could add a contextual animation that is purely cosmetic, like the Spy's backstab, and really make it juicy, but they don't because they've lost their touch. Even if we lived in some magical 2D universe where you had to pick between one or the other, I'd rather it felt 100 times better than look 100 times better.

>You're still not offering up a real argument
I gave an argument (the ridiculous enemy physics and reactions/staggering to attacks which is a very integral part in good melee combat) and even examples (the webms posted in this thread)
just because its realistic it's obviously not doesn't mean its good to have it in a video game

>being this triggered

Oh boy.

Yes they went overboard with that and it's not as satisfying as they think it should be.

Playing with the Fox Blade makes the cutting mechanic a lot more satisfying, but of course it removes all difficulty.

good counter point

>n-no its not lol [insert mem]

you are gay

He's right though, you do know that right?

I will never understand why it is people are autistic enough to actually take console war nonsense seriously, boxes of circuitboards marketed by billion dollar companies don't need your loyalty nearly as much as you think they do.
I'm sure they'll make ends meet without your autism just as easily as they would with it.

But it was also somewhat broken because of the hit detection.
It often did not register a clear kill.

No, that was a decent read.

>Counter

What counter, twice now you have defeated your own argument

>It's because console ports polluted muh pure gameplay
>Posts THE console FPS flagship

And then you went right back to exact same non point as the original post

>just because its realistic [it's obviously not] doesn't mean its good to have it in a video game
What's the point of this statement? You're saying that the pursuit of realism doesn't necessarily lead to good gameplay, yet you acknowledge that Dark Messiah is arcadey and exaggerated? Do you know why? Because it's fun to cut an enemy down a flight of stairs and throw a barrel as he tries to pick himself up. That's fun. It's self-evident. It's a game about fightan deadly dolls and as a game about fightan muscly dolls it's great.

I still dream of what a game like pic related would be like if it was lead by a good director. How they'd balance the cutting. How combat and stealth would work. It's a shame Konami took the easy way out, we could have had something special if they found the right man for the job.

Sometimes they serve a gameplay purpose (Stealth games like Hitman as en example)
Sometimes they enhance the atmosphere (hard to to get immersed by turning NPCs into ragdolls)
And sometimes they're utter shit.

It all depends on the game and the execution.

You're right there is a reason the kicking meme took off and it's because the devs deliberately designed just about every encounter as being beatable with only kicks to accommodate players that were terrible at the combat.
It's also fun.

>(or captured them if they're lazy).
Confirmed for not knowing anything about mocap.
There's a ton of work, cleanup and hand animation that needs to be added to make mocap work. It's a three dimensional reference, not something you can just slap on.

Are PCfaggots really to autistic to smell their own shit?

At no point did i display any brand loyalty, my post was literally about fucking retarded it is to try and blame things you don't like on hardware platforms that are not of your preference, and here you come along doing the exact thing you pretend to preach against like the polarized mindless mongoloid that you are.

Manhunt was a love song built entirely around scripted take downs. It's also a game I could never tire of.

youtube.com/watch?v=PGuhX5AmjuA

If only manhunt 2 was as good as the first...

>BF1 beta
>bayonet charge at enemy
>game begins to play a cutscene of me stabbing them
>neither of us can move
>halfway through, his teammate comes up from behind and kills me
>he gets up and walks away as if nothing happened
>mfw this exact scenario happens ten more times
So I'm just supposed to use melee when I'm sneaking up on a lone enemy? Again? Why even have a charge mechanic at that point. What a load of shit.

The rest of the beta sucked too.

>You're still not offering up a real argument here, you know? You're just saying "it feels x" which is just a personal assessment, not something that will enlighten people
As a neutral 3rd party to this conversation I can say that you're basically doing the same thing.
It's one guy going "It feels great" and another who goes "It feels bad".

Both of you are shit at arguing about your opinions.

a fully realistic approach or an arcadey one aren't the only two ways for designing a game
sure it's fun the first few times, but its gets boring fast and as I said in my first post my problem is that people here keep praising the gameplay as if it was the king of melee combat even though they only enjoyed it for the whacky shit that you can do in the game like kicking everything into their death

Melee is a OSK throughout, but you'll die pretty fucking fast on Extreme if you just try to charge at people and punch them.

As long as they're
Fast
Don't pause time
Don't have a black screen between the gameplay and animation playing
Take you out of first person

Basically, don't do what human revolution did

You seem upset, he even explained why that feature would benefit consoles and all you've done is irrationally lost your shit since then.

You might not be waving an xbox or sony brand flag but you're definitely platform warring it up right now by dismissing everything he said without so much as an argument, only vitriol.

So how long have you had depression, anyway?

>I still dream of what a game like pic related would be like if it was lead by a good director. How they'd balance the cutting. How combat and stealth would work. It's a shame Konami took the easy way out, we could have had something special if they found the right man for the job.

Maybe because the job is impossible? How DO you make that game and have it not turn into Musou shit?

Battlefield had equipable knives until Bad Company (swipe knife) then BF3/4 had kill animations.
But yeah it's just a general gameplay change that would have been incorporated into PC centric/exclusives without consoles.

Theyre alright but they 100% shouldnt take longer than 3 seconds and they shouldnt fuck with the camera and suddenly change the perspective (like in Mirror's Edge Catalyst)

>You seem upset, he even explained why that feature would benefit consoles and all you've done is irrationally lost your shit since then.

He literally did not.

>So how long have you had depression, anyway?

13 years

Most games with take-down moves make you either invincible during the timeframe or enemies don't attack you.

I think the new Wolfenstein is the only game where I encountered killmoves where you could still be killed. Maybe DOOM as well.

I'm still sad they removed the neck twisting lethal takedown that was in HR

He really did, in his very first post said that the precision aiming shortfalls of a controller would be easily overcome with the use of takedowns, even gave examples of PC franchises that never had them until console popularity, and so on.

If you don't want to read what people type I really don't know why you'd go on Cred Forums.

Attempting to dispute the well known fact that controllers make for less accurate and clumsier inputs than a mouse (in most cases) because it hurts your feelings for whatever reason is fucking retarded, stop being fucking retarded.
>hurr u is doin saem thin cos u r pc fanboy
Pic related is my Vita, get over yourself you whiny faggot.

>punches his foot

>Bayonet charge into crowd of enemies on thin stair path
>Takes the game over a second to register I'm trying to stab one of 'em
>Get mowed down after I kill only one
The only battlefield I won't give a chance, and my standards must be so low, because I even gave hardline a chance

Well if you can one-shot everything, then don't have the game be about hoards, make it about precision. You have to be graceful and efficient otherwise you will lose combat or get alerts. Something. I'm not sure.

There's an adage that ANY possible idea for a piece of art can be well done if it's done well. A game where you can cut through anything? That sounds doable. Not by me, though!

Also getting mad at inconsequential shit on Cred Forums is probably bad for you, just a thought.

>well known fact
Like the fact that your mom is gay, amirite

Rude.

>Posts nitpicky comment, which user believes makes him look like a smarty pants,

Jump off a wall and sprain your ankle you cunt.

Are there games with procedural takedown animations?

He's got a retractable blade that stabs it. It can also come out at the elbow

No.

Technically GTA IV, V and RDR if I understand Euphoria correctly.

>No you see, it's fine to use made up arguments

I don't count meme arguments. Anecdotal shit that's been parroted ad nauseam by the same people i am dismissing. It's a fucking myth, either you are shit at video games or you are not shit at video games. People who play FPSs with a controller are good at using the controller.

Even if this horseshit was an actual argument it certainly would not count for doing a fucking horizontal sweep across your screen. Wow, that's some surgeon tier shit right there. Are you serious?

I know, doesn't make it any less funny

>fade to black in
>fade to black out
God, it couldn't be worse and they managed to make it worse.

>Getting mad

Rather be depressed the schizophrenic i think. The world isn't actually governed by what you perceive inside your mind.

I agree here.
Its like Witcher 2's finishers.
They take stupidly long to execute, and don't mesh well into the gameplay.
Then Witcher 3 did the same thing again, but made them lightning fast, and made most of the flashy things work on physics and blood.

The general problem is that they take too long, and is too flashy for something you will do a lot.

lmgtfy.com/?q=Aim assist

gamesradar.com/pc-gamers-destroyed-console-gamers-in-tests-says-voodoo-pc-founder/

You just need to stop playing shitty games

>How they'd balance the cutting.
Dynamic animation system where the cuts STOPS mid animation depending on resistance.
So you might be able to take off farms and heads single chop, but against mechs you get physically visible degredation per attack, in the combo.

The problem is that you need to figure out how to make the mechanics good, so that killing weak enemies is enjoyable, but bigger better augmented mechs is still challenging.

They have their places. Hitman did it a lot because it benefited from having assassinations be time consuming acts. IIRC, games like Styx also allow you to choose between slow and silent kills or fast and loud ones. I think even BF4 did it right because the takedowns are supposed to be long and make you vulnerable so it's more embarrassing/satisfying when you get knifed/knife somebody. Dishonored plays it straight and only does it to look nice, but I think it works just fine since it doesn't affect gameplay or get old since the animations aren't any longer than a sword swing, poorly varied, or overly flashy.

Then you have games like the new Deus Ex that just do it fucking terribly.

Depends on the animation. I feel Dishonored did it well. The average enemy sometimes gets a quick animation of cutting off the head but it's so quick it doesn't stop the flow of the game. The more important characters get a bit more since they are usually the only enemy around so it's not interrupting anything.
The new Deus Ex on the other hand are horrible at this. Anywhere from 2 to 5 seconds of Adam dancing around the enemy. Sure it can look cool but when you have to worry about ten other guys in the vicinity, throwing the enemy into a flip isn't exactly stealthy.

Metro is the worst offender since just using the knife to bash people actually alerts others. Stupid as fuck.

to be fair, he probably broke every bone in his leg with that

Hey it's that thing anyone who's good at video games turns off

Hey it's more irrelevant anecdotal things that are besides the issue being discussed to boot

HEAT moves take meter to use and are more like specials

I don't mind as long as they're quick and have a smooth transition in and out.

>implying tenchu's scripted takedowns aren't great

It's very, very rare that a console game allows you to turn off aim assist though whereas every PC game I've played has defaulted with it off.
t. Longtime Playstation player that recently got into PC gaming.

I don't mind certain takedown animations if they are more of a spectacle you don't do very often.

But what really makes me fume with rage is having animations for shit like looting and interacting with things.

God I miss the days when you could just walk up to a thing and press E and the thing activated.

Now it's all
>hold E to interact with button
>hold button for 2 seconds
>4 second animation of a hand pressing a button

It's especially annoying in RPG's when they have looting animations.

Did you just try and link an image in the name slot?

Looks a little janky, I'll just let the computer do it for me with some sweet cinematics.

mmm cum

I find it depends on the situation. Far Cry with it's healing animation is good, imo, because you can't just spam it while sprinting towards an enemy.

Well. Yes, that I agree with. But the long as fucj animations of you looting a body, flower, poster, everything is kinda tedius.

So fucking glad you can turn it off in Farcry 4, though that seems to break the game a bit.

Yeah, except it's literally the opposite of what you say that's true. It's rare that a console game with aim assist won't let you turn it off.

cool imma buy it thanks user

There need to be at least like, 20 different take down animations and you cycle through partially at random.
Human Revolution got this right.

>I don't mind certain takedown animations if they are more of a spectacle you don't do very often.

This also.
A simple, split second neck slit or snap isn't something I'd mind seeing 400 times over the course of the game but anything over a second shouldn't come up often enough to get annoying.

Looting tends to be the odd animation because if it's a more atmospheric game where you're always on your toes, it would work to have to be more vulnerable in exchange for whatever you're looting. Problem with games like Far Cry is that you're not really looting anything until you know everyone around you is dead.

If you think this webm looks better than this one
You're one daft retarded cunt.

Read the book.

In the original book both communists and nazis are total fucking scumbags. As they should. They were both garbage in reality too.

I genuinely can't think of any off the top of my head, especially not major titles.

>alternatively
>perform take down on guy
>the move is different and even context sensitive where the pc will use nearby environment in the take down

This
l hate it when the game takes control away from me with stupid shit like that

>looks better

It PLAYS better, you faggot.
Couldn't care less about the same cinematic animation when it's not me playing the fucking game.

Actually no, GTA V had the option I believe as did Peace Walker HD.

It has nothing to do with how it looks user, its about control. Imagine if F.E.A.R's melee was all button prompts, it takes away alot of the control and creativity the player has to succeed, and instead of aiming and getting into position to land a fatal blow, you simply stand close and press a button. Its not about how good it looks on youtube its about how it plays.

>Tfw playing BF3 for the first time years ago and getting knifed and not knowing how the fuck he did that or if he was hacking

There are seriously few games without aim assist that can't be turned off

The only one I can think of is Ratchet and Clank Into the Nexus, who's aim assist option is basically high/low and it's terrible

Nothing wrong with your character doing what he's supposed to be doing, otherwise we'd be back in the days of Morrowind Combat. Those button animations shouldn't anchor you to the floor, though. That's what you dislike. Buttons are cool.

>b-b-b-b-b-but i'm not playing

There needs to be a middle ground between looks and gameplay. Shitty ass knife animation -> blood -> ragdoll, like what 99.99 % of your "games where you have control" are doing is the best way to kill any semblant of authenticity and immersion.

Janky looking animations with full control > cinematics with no control

I vastly prefer being able to equip a knife and stab someone without entering an extended cutscene, especially if you're going to see a repeat of the same 3 ones over the course of the entire game

Wait, what does Morrowind's combat have to do with looting and interaction animations?

The biggest immersion and authenticity killer is when somebody rips the controls right out of your hands to show you some shitty canned animation.
You have absolute shit taste and no idea what you are even talking about.

You're both wrong, most games offer the option however it's almost always just modifying the severity to which it is present.
Rare is the game that allows you to remove it entirely however since Microsoft is finally implementing support for Keyboard and Mouse this will no doubt change and console players will actually get to have an understanding of why and how it is kb+m > controller.

you gotta move the camera around when doing awesome mocap animations like this so you can see the expressions on their faces

The shitty Metro 2033 webms are an appropriate example and what i'm talking about. You have absolute shit taste and no idea what you are even talking about.

If devs listened to retards like you we would be stuck at Morrowind combats and shit like Fallout 4 melee would be perfectly acceptable. Consider unplugging your keyboard and turning off your monitor.

>The biggest immersion and authenticity killer is when somebody rips the controls right out of your hands to show you some shitty canned animation

No. That's when you punch someone in the head and he goes in a shitty ragdoll state with cheap blood effects on top of it. Aka what you want.

If devs don't sort their shit and do ragdolls and animations properly, having control over these kind of things will ALWAYS mean immersion breaker.

Fallout 4 uses finisher cutscenes in excess and anyone with sense turns them off immediately so that there's no jarring sudden loss of control

t. homos who like to watch cutscenes rather than play games

I kind of like how The Last of Us handled it.

Takedowns were deliberately slow to discourage just choking out all the enemies, but then it offered a consumable item that let you instantkill. Batman kind of has this mechanic too with the press X/Square to take them down quicker but it alerts nearby enemies.

So, I don't mind takedowns as long as they serve a gameplay purpose. I think in stealth games the takedowns should generally be loud or time consuming. Quick silent takedowns are still a plague in the genre though and it's why a lot of modern stealth games are trash.

Yeah you're right, instead of shitty looking killmoves you get shitty looking combats which aren't anything more than Morrowind ones in HD.

fuck you faggot watch a movie then. I actually want to play a game.

>using F.E.A.R as an example

It's old and was made with love and attention. Two things that don't, and won't exist nowadays no matter what. Get back to reality. Scripted kill animations are the less evil between that and Morrowind combats.

are you retarded or something? why wouldn't you want to swing your own weapon and have it cut the guy? you know dynamic ragdolls exist? dynamic damage exists? fuck you

Stop bringing up Morrowind you flaming homosexual.
It's a fucking RPG with dicerolls and nobody defends it but diehard pen and paper fags.

By "Nothing wrong with your character doing what he's supposed to be doing" I mean that your animations should reflect what you're doing, if you grab an object, your character should physically be grabbing it. If you're striking someone with a club it should hit them, if you're missing then it shouldn't land. I capitalized Morrowind Combat to assert I mean the filename sort of "hit someone, square in the face, but the game says you missed. keep whacking kid" oddity.

>>b-b-b-b-b-but i'm not playing
Is this suppose to be some kind of argument? When I play games I want to play the fucking game, not press a button to watch the game play itself for a moment. I want to have to position myself for a lethal strike, I want to have to aim that shot and have the prospect of failing to get it right because I fucked up, thats gameplay. I do not want to just get close and wait for a button prompt that does all this for me.
>immersion
But taking control away from the player for a moment IS immersive?

You keep mentioning Morrowind combats for some reason when it has nothing to do with anything. Compare Deus Ex with the newer Deus Ex games, it would actually make sense then.

>awkward animation of a melee weapon attack
>npc drops like a bad of sand of the ground
what is this argument? not all games have to be made poorly. have you faggots never played condemned before? unscripted melee combat can be fantastic

>never ported over to PC
>forgotten in the last gen
we truly are in some dark times.

What kind of a faggot goes sneaky and stabs people like a little pussy? I'm sure I've played dozens of games either with animations or not, but I wouldn't know, I'm not a faggot. I fucking blow people away dude, guns were made for a reason. Bombs too. What a bunch of babies.
>muh slows down gameplay
Shotguns never slow down gameplay you little bitch

I'd agree with you if the game is supposed to be really immersive and you don't interact that often. But in a game like FarCry or DA:I where you spend a huge amount of time picking things up and stuff you pretty much spend more time standing still watching animations than you do playing the actual game.

After the 500th time of watching the same animation over and over again it gets a bit tedious you know and it kills the pacing of the game.

this is the only DMC type game I straight up ignored the score it gave me after a while because I hated watching that animation and wanted to use the giant scizzor wep to trade blows. It penalizes both using its super-armor and not grabbing spines

>repeatedly tap F to do thing
>hold F to do thing

>Anywhere from 2 to 5 seconds of Adam dancing around the enemy. Sure it can look cool but when you have to worry about ten other guys in the vicinity, throwing the enemy into a flip isn't exactly stealthy.
during the takedown animation the time stops in game, enemies can't walk up to you while you're doing action movies with the victim and even if the cinematic dispays you punching him and falling loudly on the floor you actually did no noise

that's why nu deus ex stealth is shit, in dx1 and iw if you wanted to take out more than one guard without quick headshots you had to separate them somehow (make noise, trigger an alarm on purpose elsewhere) because punching one down would alert the others

>fate

I will never understand how a shitty eroge became a newfag favorite.

I played the tutorial mission in Mankind Divided and already got sick of the repetitive stealth knockdown animations.

>never tainted by the bullshit of current gen
>this is bad somehow

F/SN got translated a decade ago. It's hardly a new thing.

It's the recent adaption that spoiled the fanbase. Most of them haven't even played the eroge.

Press button something awesome has to happen.

Even the original game was pretty shit. I fucking loved the first two routes when I was like 14 or something but I recently tried to get back into it and read the third route I found that either the translation or the writing was fucking terrible. Same for Tsukihime. It honestly made me cringe a bit.

youtube.com/watch?v=XzkCmidjeHc

I miss Dragon Age 2 threads.

>nobody post Max Payne Kung Fu mod

The translations are horrible.
To be honest I think Fate is cool as shit, but like you I can't go back and read it again. The good parts are smeared together with too much shit for me to read through a second time.

>RE6 combat will never come back in a new IP or even just an RE spinoff
It's such a waste of a fantastic combat system. Honestly that game had no business having combat like that but it was so fucking good if you were just playing in Mercs mode. I really hope they bring that system back and improve on it in a new IP.

Worked great for DOOM.

Stop being such a bitch. All gameplay mechanics have their place somewhere. Just so happens abouty 80% of the time they are implemented in a game where they don't belong or if they do, rather clumsily.

I was one of the best knifers in battlefield 2 and one of the best fisters in chivalry and animations are fucking cancer. Low knife damage is stupid too. Knife is only balanced if its one or two hit. It's the shortest range therefore it needs the highest damage and if you get stabbed its your own fault for not being aware of your surroundings. Aliens versus predator is not a fucking game to copy okay developers? If you want to copy avp, copy aliens vs predator 2 or extinction because the rest were shit.

Also on another note, if a headshot from every weapon didn't one hit or two hit with a %chance for knockdown, then your game is shit. Tired of games like rust where you can keep healing and I have to headshot someone 6x for him to die or like any of the last 3 battlefields where headshots do like 30 damage. Tired of games being casualized for shitters who can't aim and just spray center mass.

Doom didn't have any context melee. Are you playing Brutal Doom or something?

>Worked great for DOOM.

Kill you're self.
DOOM is the worst offender of this shit mechanic shoved into a game it doesn't fit into at all.

That better be a list of worst characters if Chiaki is on it

DOOM's brutal kills are actually pretty smart
>Rewards you with health, keeping you on the offensive
>Clearly indicated when you can and can't perform them
>Animations are brief but satisfying
>Short animation gives player a moment to breath during a non-stop firefight
>Tons of blood and gore and noise to keep the feel and flow of carnage steady
They serve to reward players on the offensive and give a second of breathing room while not making them wuss out and run from a fight.

the new Homefront did this pretty well, stealth from the back was a quiet throat slit, if you sprinted up and they were next to a wall you would slam their face into it a couple times, or in the middle you would fucking stab the so hard, it was actually pretty vicious, you shank them in the eye or stab them in the chest like ten times or shit like that.

Chiaki is best girl.
I bet you can't even survive in a world of strength.

They interupt nothing, hell halo reach had optional asasination animations

would you play a mech game that handles like this? You have to do everything manually. Cranks, levers and buttons let you punch, block, strafe, dash, etc.

It's too disconnecting. MGR did it perfectly. It still feels like you're playing, but slows it down enough at the same time.

Not him but these days you have to take them as they come, games aren't ever going to be like the 90's again because all the 90's developers made it big and that's all anyone cares about who isn't indie.

that being said the takedowns in doom were done well IMO in the sense that they are just really quick and as another user in the thread said, sometimes they use the environment around you. the animations being so quick are something worth praising because so many games these days have hour long takedowns even when you have to do them all the time. In doom they are done extremely quickly, and while it would be better for not at all, being done really quickly at least is an alright compromise.

I'd like to see takedowns to speed up in progression. First one is slow and animation is long but the more you do in one streak they've gradually become faster and faster.

Long animations can fuck things up, and if you're going to be doing this sort of thing then hopefully you'll be invincible throughout the entire animation.

Like, let's look at Bloodborne. You can sneak up behind two tall werewolf dudes just before the Gascoigne fight. You can sneak attack and viserceal one of them, which will kill him. However, the second you land the first blow the other werewolf is alerted and will try to hit you. You basically have a 50% chance of immediately getting him the second you get out of the visceral animation because it's so fucking long. A similar thing happens for Ghost in the Shell Online too. You can sneak up behind someone and stealth kill them, but it takes ages and the enemy team will just hold down left click and pump a stream of bullets into you so that by the time you're out of the animation you're already full of lead.

At least viscerals staggers nearby enemies.

They would look appealing in real life too if their members dont literally come from the lower class and they work on their fashion.

How new can you be

I like having them because they feel more like you're killing someone than you would by just swinging a knife at their back, but some games like the newer Deus Ex games and Metro Redux and Last Light have these stupidly long ones that feels less believable despite the detail. No fucking way the enemy won't struggle throughout the long as fuck kill animation.

Funnily enough, GTAV had some really good takedowns that were fast and believable. A knife had you stab their neck and yank the blade out, a hatchet or machete had you hack their neck and pull the blade out and so on.

Witcher 3 had great ones too that were fast and believable. Witcher 2 had horrible kill animations that needed fade-to-blacks to execute (I think). That shit was the definition of shit takedowns.

>in New Vegas for example, their portrayal in the game is very nearly that of an Ork Waaaaaagh from the Warhammer universe but despite that the faction remains a somewhat appealing prospect for the future of the Mojave.

Ah yes, crucifying an entire city because they are sinners sounds very appealing in a post apocalyptic scenario.

The Legion is comically villainous in New Vegas.

maybe in VR but clicking on it all sounds awkward.

>Quick silent takedowns are still a plague in the genre though and it's why a lot of modern stealth games are trash.
the games you're complaining about are not pure stealth games (nor are they marketed as such), but a mix of action and stealth

Fucking hate them. Useless piece of glitchy shit. Stabs from the front, cooldown on """""failed""""" attempts, animation is long so long you can get stabbed to death while performing takedown yourself. Defib is the only real solution to this trash.

>despite that the faction remains a somewhat appealing prospect for the future of the Mojave.
does it fuck. Caesar talks nothing but utter shit, his plan of synthesis goes against literally every pretense one can have for basic human nature. They don't even have a fucking science department, they're a shittily written joke of a faction.

This.
>he doesn't kill entire squads with his knife stealthily and shoot down the squad next to them
>he actually lies epikkk mlg gaming super kills cuz snipers r cancer not useless nerfed trash that only a fucking moron would not see the fuck huge sniper glint for casual shitters

Did the guys not realize that there's no way you could spin someone around like that without breaking the dude's neck?

>implying the game shouldn't be built up from stealth

UC4's context-sensitive scripted-animation melee system probably gets the most hate here out of any of these kind of games, but honestly it's extremely responsive and doesn't slow down anything. You press square for each strike, and most of the time each strike is a very short animation. You can opt to cancel your melee attack and roll away at any time (except when the enemy is grappling with you), and you can be damaged / shot to death in the middle of a finisher or takedown

nope

A city that sold the people it offered shelter to into slavery.

what if the developer wants to make an action game? They aren't allowed to include stealth elements because those are strictly reserved for pure-stealth games?

>movie game
>at least it does movie-game-like things good!

Aren't you the smart guy

so you're admitting I'm right then

I was right, you are pretty special alright.

You think this is bad? Try to play LA Noire where you get long animation for EVERYTHING.

In every Killzone game, you're vulnerable during melee animations.