Metal Gear 1 makes no fucking sense

>"I'm gonna send my clone in there to prove that I don't have a Metal Gear but mostly because I want him dead, because when he fails and dies that will totally prove that I don't have a Metal Gear and that there is nothing to fear from Outer Heaven"
Think about this plan for just one second

yes

it was also 20 years ago

Actually longer than that. It's still canon though.

I don't think you understand

Asians work up a boner and then make a series of events following traditional tropes that are slightly altered to fit their story, then they release it. There is no overall or from a distance glance made at these unrelated events, such a look is only made by Westerners who don't understand Asian story telling.

We don't really know the implications now that V has happened. I kinda like how V added a backstage politics feel to MG1. It just has this vibe of everyone waiting patiently to see if things go accordingly behind the scenes as Snake does his work.

Now it's up in the air what the true intentions were. To kill Venom? To kill Solid with the help of Venom? How was Miller reacting to it?

V is so retarded that I don't even consider it canon.

>Putting thought into a story that even its own creator hasn't

Japan was a mistake

Saw a theory about Outer Heaven in 1 being nothing but a test orchistrated by Big Boss to collect battle data. If Snake managed to win, Zanzibar Land would not be ready for The Patriots and if he failed then Zanzibar Land would not only be ready but the Patriot's strongest weapon (Solid) would already be out of the way.
It also explains the mirror smash scene (sorry bro you were just a test dummy, bye)

Literally nothing states this which is why it's nothing but a fan theory but I like it. I mean clearly MG1 was not originally made with this in mind. But the story is basically dropped. Might as well fill the gaps ourselves.

There's literally no harm in it and sparks discussion if anything.

Although I agree Kojima's dumb and probably hasn't even considered half the symbolism/plot significance fans come up with in regards to his work

the Solid series is a reboot, MG1 and MG2 are about as canon as PoOps

>all nukes abolished
>actually the nukes weren't abolished
>suddenly a clone
>running man
>evil madman (even though MGS1 goes to great lengths to explain how great Big Boss was)

you kidding, nikka? I don't care if you say kojima is dumb but MGS is the most exposition heavy videogame series ever and it spells most things out for you completely, there's barely any room left for theories half of the time

You're analysing the story of a video game from the 80's. you know how much of a moron that makes you, right?

>running man
Still a much better villain than Vamp and Fatman. If you're going to complain about the MSX Metal Gear villains, why not mention the ones with the obviously Engrish names like Shoot Gunner and Black Color?

No shit OP.

It's almost as if Kojimbo is a shit writter with no sense of internal constancy. Crazy right?
But hey lets filling in the shit writting with head canon to defend our can-do-no-wrong Kojimbo.

for such an over-written series it's a miracle that it's as internally consistent as it is, though

because the only one I remember is running man

And then it did its job then.

sense? in my metal gear series? less likely than you think

IT'S A VIDEO GAME FROM 1987. WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO BREAK DOWN THE STORY OF A GAME FROM 1987?

Because it's still canon for some reason.

MGS since 2 is so retarded that I don't even consider its canon any more.

Best case scenario would be to kill Solid (at that time working under the orders of the Patriots unknowingly) and to kill Venom who knew too much and was becoming his own person.

You think he would have learned from the last time he let someone have a sneaky peak at his nuclear armed base

The World's Greatest Soldier seems to be pretty fuckin dumb

>Reply
I always felt like Big Boss was just buying time. After all, if you know that the evil terrorists have a nuke then you should probably send whole armies in there as opposed to just one spy at a time. Since the Metal Gear looked pretty complete before Snake blew it up, I'd say that they just needed some finishing touches before they held the world for ransom. It also helps that Big Boss can easily rebuild his base elsewhere since it's not like he's running a country or anything, which is why terrorists with nukes is such an insane and legitimate fear; without M.A.D. to be afraid of you have very few reason not to use a nuke.

It was written in a time when video game stories were super simple 'beat the bad guy and save the world' and fuck all else. Trying to make sense of stories from the 80's and give it context today is dumb because there was very little thought or foresight put into it because games were way simpler back then.

Kojima could at least have retconned some of it, nobody would have gotten mad over that. The way it stands now is just kind of dumb uness you integrate into the story. That makes MG1 the first "Mission that was actually just a simulation" game

actually it was one of the first games to introduce proper plot and movielike feeling on top of gameplay

What a waste of money

Orginally just kojimas first dabbling in epic tweests, and now I guess big boss was trying to have venom killed or something but venom hyjacked the frequency when he found out and tried to use this to his advantage to kill snake. Miller is under orders from the patriots not to mention anything about the truth.

Hideo Kojima was a shitty writer 20 years ago and he will be a shitty writer in 20 years

And he'll keep getting away with it too

What's wrong with 3

who's a good writer?

As someone who's favorite franchise is MGS I think they need to make the time line more clear.

Best way to do this would be remake MG and MG2 to fit the cannon post V better but it would be tricky since MGS references the MG games so much.

On second thought maybe they should just leave it alone

It was basically a Solid game when it should have been a Big Boss game. It's kind of like Star Wars, Vader is this interesting character, but as soon as you delve into his back-story he is instantly devalued. My impression of both characters was that they were forged through battle into these supposed legends, but then you see their past and are reminded that a legend rarely has any truth to it. Which is great if you're writing a fable, but can feel like a let down when you're following on from a prior work.

Maybe I would've enjoyed it more without the Davy Crockett nuke and Ninja Scroll bosses taking me out of it.

>but then you see their past and are reminded that a legend rarely has any truth to it

that's kind of the fucking point though

Yes, but it comes across as rewriting the established mythos, which made it unappealing.

not when one of the themes of MGS1 is that the reality never lives up to the legend

you're just a clod