Why did you parry him?

Why did you parry him?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lLD9UHoo6HQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

but i didn't user

because he's about as fun to fight without parrying as Gwyn was to fight without parrying. That is to say, not fun at all
>DUDE I'M JUST GOING TO NEVER STOP SWINGING LMAO

>He is able to beat Gwyn only by abusing parry
Kek

Right I should have cut off my hands, closed my eyes, play the game without sound while dunking my head in boiling water.

>Boss has a clear weakness that's intentional
>you're a chump for exploiting it

Wat

Or, alternatively, dodged.
That's a nice tactic too you know?

what SL was Gundyr to get that tall?

>because he's about as fun to fight without parrying as Gwyn was to fight without parrying
I never learned to parry properly and Gwyn was one of the easiest fights for me, I don't get this meme at all.

Not saying that he's bad for parrying only against Gwyn, but that's the cheesiest way to win, being able to beat him without parrying would be much better.

I didn't even realize you could parry him. I just assumed you couldn't because his weapon was big.
> I did the same with Gwyn

I didn't because I'm shit at parrying and I'm not in the habit of trying it on bosses when it may or may not work. Beat this guy on my 2nd try though (using rapier)

I was garbage at parrying average enemies on my first run through so I never tried. My second run I focused on parrying and he is a joke.

I thought it was pretty fun killing gundyr without parrying.

Those fucking back kicks give me nightmares though.

Because it's the optimal way of doing it. Should I not use a weapon either?

I wish the player could have as cool of a spear moveset as Gundyr uses

>I must play games in the optimal manner

Sounds fun

>I know the only fun way to play.

How lucky for you.

No, I slaughtered him with the Dragonslayer Greataxe.

is Gundyr's Halberd good?

Any tips for Aldrich? He almost one hits me with any of his magic attacks.

I didn't know you could.

I didn't use a shield anyway.

It's extremely satisfying to fight him without parrying. He's fast and precise and actually pressures you and forces you to focus.

git

Keep your distance and wail on him with Fire when you get a chance.

because he attacked me.

Don't get hit. Seriously, walk, run, hide behind pillars, just don't stand and take that shit in tour face.
As for the arrow rain in second phase, when you see him readying his bow position yourself so you can freely sprint in one direction, wait for the arrows to almost catch up then start sprinting. As you start running out of stamina make sharp turn or two. The longer the arrows follow the more they lose the tracking ability.

What about his Soul Spear?
He spams it 3 times in a row, and I can't dodge it. Too fast for me.
So I usually have to get hit, stand then estus, get hit, estus, hit, estus, estus.

I had to just spam my fully upgraded pyro for around half his health cos I never bothered learning to parry, probably equally cheesey. I had pretty shitty stamina though and couldn't deal with the number of swings he'd do.

He was true super sand lesbian

I didn't even know you could parry him until after I beat him.

I thought the Champ was supposed to actually be challenging and fun, not a parry-2-win cheesefest. I guess you don't have to parry him if you don't want to, but it still makes it seem like the game is too forgiving. There should be at least one boss (not the final boss) in the game that is somewhat difficult, Nameless King is okay but he's still not even as difficult as O+S.

youtube.com/watch?v=lLD9UHoo6HQ

Just watch him so you know in advance you're going to get soul speared and dodge. Nothing more to it. The timing is static, as soon as you make it once or twice, he's never going to hit you again.
If you happen to sprint parallel to him (not from or towards him) you don't have to do anything and the spears won't hit.

The pillars only protect you from the Pink Floyd light show, all his other attacks either go through them or flat out destroy the pillars.

wut

Well, use the other listed options then?

of course not, parrying is for losers.
Beat him second try with a bit of rolling and stabbing

I didn't.
He ate a Great Chaos Fireball. Over and over and over in between cuts of my Great Corvian Scythe +10.

He doesn't have much health at all, you can beat him in 3 or 4 cycles if you're on-point.

Do not stand too far away from him or he'll spam soul spears, he always teleports to the corner farthest away from you, so stand in the middle of the room when he vanishes then sprint directly to him as soon as he appears. His melee attacks are all telegraphed as fuck so they should be easy to dodge. The arrow spam is the most difficult part of the fight, but you can beat it by simply sprinting away at the right moment.

When I beat him he didn't even have the opportunity to launch his second-phase arrow spam, you just need to be fast and time your attacks efficiently and he'll barely have time to respond before teleporting away.

>still had the parry dagge equiped from fighting the cathedral knights before ocerios
>run into champ
>good back and forth for the first half of his health
>back off, heal and apply carthus flame arc
>pull out the parry dagger
>get 3 sweet parries in a row and kill champ
>see a shiny and run towards it
>message: ahh quite something, in short time for fine work
>have the whole thing recorded
So great to rewatch that shit as well as all the other bosses

I didn't. I've been terrible at parrying since DaS2. I could parry nearly all of Boletaria in Demon's Souls and a few areas in DaS1 but I could never get a single parry from anyone in DaS2. I didn't even bother anymore in DaS3.

Gundyr is a pretty ridiculous boss though. If I knew he could be parried, I probably would've tried just to save myself the aggravation.

I beat him on my first try without parrying. Felt pretty good.

You can tell that a game is finely detailed when it can be played through sound cues alone. That blind guy who played through Ocarina of Time with surround sound speakers is pretty crazy.

is it canon that you become a bigger guy as you level up?

I beat him with a shitty greatsword.
Just dodge his kicks :^)

No.

For you

No, the only people that get physically larger are the ones that have innumerable souls, which means not the player ever.

>In rare cases, Crystal Lizards devour souls, growing to monstrous proportion -- Titanite Scale

See also: Ornstein/Smough doubling in height when they absorb the others' soul

Well if you have to be SL711 to get xboxhueg like Artorias, I imagine that a meta-leveled undead would only be a bit taller than normal, like Gwyn/(normal)Ornstein-sized

I did not. Went naked and rolled all day every day. Felt pretty great when I finally managed to predict his attacks reliably and he couldn't touch me. I almost perfected him when I finally beat him.

if Ornstein in DaS1 was a fake, why does fake Ornstein drop his soul?

was he a golem powered by Ornstein's actual soul, like how the Iron Golem was powered by a soul fused to a dragon bone? and the real Ornstein is walking around hollow somewhere?

I could never get this mechanic down so I forgot about it. Didn't even know you could do this. Just rolled a lot and then swung away.

>final DLC of dark souls 3
>been chasing the big bad or whatever throughout the DLC
>it runs off and hides to the final battlefield
>it's locked behind two huge doors
>a voice enters the player's head
>ashen one...seek the pilgrim key

how hype would you be

>SL711
I'm pretty sure innumerable souls is meant to be taken literally. Like, why can't I hold all these souls kind of shit.

I didn't even know you could parry him.

Easy, it's because don't worry about the lore past DaS1. It might as well be fanfiction.

It would have been easier for me to beat Gwyn without parrying though, because every few swings there's a window to hit Gwyn.

I died like 10 times attempting to learn to parry because I heard it was the most appropriate tactic (hadn't done it up until that point) .

time is convolute

>lore made by the original's creator in a direct sequel to the original that is canon is fanfiction because I can't understand it
excellent meme

I personally thought DaS1 Ornstein was real, and after the player killed him he wandered hollow without his soul to Archdragon Peak.

It makes more sense to me than DaS1 Ornstein being an illusion that posses his soul. If Ornstein can give his soul to an illusion and continue to wander the land, would it not also be possible for him to lose his soul to the player and continue to wander?

>See also: Ornstein/Smough doubling in height when they absorb the others' soul
I'll give you the crystal lizards but user asked about the player.
Also as far as enemies are concerned Miyazaki said in one of the DS1 interviews that they are bigger because of gameplay reasons. This was a specifically said about silver/black knights so I'd take the 'souls make people bigger' theory with a grain of salt.

It's fun as fuck
I started out wanting to playthrough with only the default knight equipment but after seeing how broken long sword was I transitioned to heavier weapons. I went for halberd after beating the champ and it's got solid range and a fun weapon art. I beat the rest of the game with it including Nameless King with no problems

Truthfully Dark Souls can't be played like that. Enemies have RNG in their actions like dodging exactly as you attack into random direction and most of it is missing sound cues entirely.

Parrying him was the only way I could win. I was a strength build, using a great ax and great club. I just couldn't get enough attacks in, and he was too fast. So I just had to practice parrying him. And eventually I reached a point where I parrying everything, and beat him.

only, Ornstein isn't an Undead, so why would he come back to life after being murdered?

it's just some extremely asshurt DS1 fanboy that literally cant stand that other games exist in his series. Ignore him.

>thinking people actually die when you kill them

Same here. Now i'm tempted to start another playthrough just to try it.

>because I can't understand it
More like because it feels like it was written by a thirteen year old fan of the franchise.
>le storm ruler and morion blade because remember Demon's Souls xPP
>oh look it's Anor Londo because hahaha is sequel to Dark Souls
>oh and I'm going to both retcon your ending decision in the first game and Ornstein because xDD
>by the way Artorias lmao
>and Solaire lol
>why can't I hold all these callbacks?

>in DaS1 interviews
key word is DaS1. arguments of "is it just gameplay or is there lore behind it" can always changed based on how future installments add new info. In this case, before DaS3 came out, I would have agreed with you in saying that the "souls make people bigger" idea was just gameplay, but after DaS3 solidifies the concept through item descriptions we now have to revise that train of thought. It could just be that you are supposed to canonically get slightly taller with each SL, but they didn't actually do this because FROM didn't feel like adjusting the player model continuously with each levelup, nor did they feel like designing levels around the possibility of SL711s being too tall to walk around them without having to stoop over.

I didn't, I rolled. 1st try.

>thinking they don't
if they don't have a Darksign, they die for realsies

even soulless hollows like Gwyn and the NK don't seem to respawn, they just lost their minds because of their lack of soul

because like every other boss in dark souls 3, he fucking sucks.

Maybe the player didn't kill him, just beat the shit out of him and stole his soul.

Ornstein's soul isn't even his own, it was gifted to him by Gwyn, giving up that soul doesn't necessarily mean he died as he can evidently live without it (if DaS3 is actually canon, that is).

>>le storm ruler and morion blade because remember Demon's Souls xPP
LE PATCHES AND MOONLIGHT GREATSWORD BECAUSE REMEMBER DEMON'S SOULS AND ARMORED CORE XDD

DUDE DIDN'T YOU HEAR THAT DIRECT SEQUELS AREN'T ALLOWED TO CONTINUE THE UNRESOLVED PLOTLINES AND SEE WHAT HAPPENED TO NPCS IN THE ORIGINAL GAME?

>implying that DaS3 retconned the endings to DaS1

please contain your shitposting

Literally who

either the player "kills" Ornstein first, and then he gets flattened by Smough, or he definitely kills giga-Ornstein during the 2nd phase of the fight

>why can't I hold all these callbacks?

Stop programming in node.js

>he thinks I'm saying that the Moonlight Greatsword and Patches are exceptions
>unresolved plotlines
>he thinks DaS2 and 3 didn't retcon your ending decision
Go play the first game DaS3babby.

I wish that dragonslayer swordspear would have another move set instead of just halbeard moveset.

But I didn't.
Because I haven't landed a parry since DS1

>>he thinks DaS2 and 3 didn't retcon your ending decision
they did not

>either MC linked the fire
>or he walked away from the fire
>and someone else did it instead of him

>he thinks that's not retconning
Oh user, you're so adorable.

I didn't.

Pure mage build, ever once used parry in my playthrough.

explain how that's retconning

But that's not retconning at all, both endings are possible, neither is disqualified completely.

>DaS1
>your decision could bring the end of world or extend its life just a little longer
>the fate of the world is in your hands
>leave and let the world be consumed by Dark
>DaS2 and 3
>just kidding lol

>he unironically thought that his age of dark would last forever
>he unironically bought into Kaathe's lies
is there any beverage as sweet as Darkwraith tears?

>implying Dark isn't eternal and the way things should be

The ending have always been ambiguous, and we've never had any clear link stating a specific cycles hero lit the fire. Not in any way that implies a player character. But please keep shitposting, you ignorant fuck. Please scream it's rethinking without any amount of evidence it makes this funnier

Because I couldn't defeat him normally, I admit. He was too fast to fight with my bastard.

At least I used a kite shield to parry him, so I went only 90% easy mode.

I still think it's better than using a long or dark sword.

I didn't. Parrying is a shit mechanic.

>clear weakness
>in a game where every single other boss has been immune to parries

I figured having the audacity to even try parrying was part of the challenge.

>implying implications
Grey and still are how things should be, the world is devolving back into the Age of Ancients.

Fire fades, and with it does the concept of disparity. Disparity, after all, is born of fire, not the other way around. One by one, disparate concepts (aka distinguishing between thing A and thing B) fade away as Fire loses strength
>life and death
>past, present, and future
>location A and location B
>parallel world A and parallel world B
eventually, fire loses the strength to keep the lights on, and Darkness settles in. However, once the flame actually DIES OUT, the world transcends darkness, as the last disparate pair (light vs dark) fades away like all the others, and the once again grey crags define reality.

The Age of Dark is nothing but the light on your dashboard that lets you know that you've got less than a gallon left in the tank. The natural state of the world is neither light nor dark, but grey.

>Implying I'm good enough to parry people
You moran

It's canon that the Age of Dark only lasts until someone lights the first flame again, there will always be a fragment of the first flame waiting for ignition even during the Age of Dark. The Age of Dark is just a name for the time when the fame fades, the flame never vanishes entirely, it can not be eternal.

fuck yourself you fag

Shit man, that's deep.

Because he is a shit boss, in a shit game.

Huh, this is a pretty good explanation for the plothole of the end of Fire meaning the age of Dark when it should actually mean an age of Ancients.
The Age of Dark is just like the Age of Fire, transient, but the people who wish for it can't realize it.

>Niggers argueing about stupid cyclical bullshit in a series where fags confuse shit writers intentionally bring obtuse cause they dont have actual explanations for depth

Go away Vaati, isn't the patreon money enough?

There will never be a proper sequel. "Muh time is convoluted, muh alternate worlds". As in I have creative freedom to do whatever I want, which is mainly copy pasting from DS1 and Bloodborne to make a half-assed game worse than the parents.

Memezaki is into Lovecraft shit now, and avoiding Bamco.

Almost true, but also false. In the world of Dark Souls, "Dark" is a tangible element like fire. So when the fire fades, dark will remain. Only after Dark fades as well, will the world return to gray. But that won't happen for a very long time.

The reason the world cycles from fire to dark to fire again, is for the fact that souls fuel both fire and dark. And there are a never ending supply of souls. Energy is neither created nor destroyed, it only changes form. Fire was fading, because souls were being transposed into dark. Likely by Kaathe's manipulation. The bonfire system was a way to use dark as fuel for fire. Which would have worked out, if humanity could be contained. But it couldn't. So fire continued to decline anyway.

So by the end of Dark Souls, you're essentially just choosing which side of the scale you wish to support. Fire will never fade completely, so long as it's continued to be fed. And Dark will never fade completely, so long as it too continues to be fed. But they dominate depending on which one has the most powerful souls.

t. St. Aldrich of the Deep

>Memezaki is into Lovecraft shit now
>Now
wew

Because I was like soul level 25 and if I didn't parry him no way I was going to beat him. I also really wanted his weapon which is why I didn't come back later

>parry
>he breaks through animation before yours does

>"Dark" is a tangible element like fire.
in the Souls universe, whenever "Dark" is used as a title (aka Dark Magic, Dark Sorcery, Dark Buffs, etc.) it is referring specifically to the Abyss/wild Humanity, not the mere absence of light.

At the end of DaS3, when the you see what happens when the flames fade, it is referred to as a "world without fire," not an "age of Dark," specifically to make this distinction.

A world without fire is merely the lights going out, not the Abyss swallowing the world, and so it isn't a tangible element like the Abyss is.

First time? I didn't. I was a scrub who couldn't parry for shit.

Every time after? I got gud. And fuck that reverse kick of his.

Also you can't get the Hornet Ring until after you beat him, it's like they knew he was meant to be parried, but didn't want it being TOO easy.

NOW THIS IS FAST AND EXCITING FOR THE KIDS

The Dark Soul was found in the first flame, as a tangible soul, just like the others. Assuming it's the same soul Manus had, you can actually feel it. It's weighted and luke warm.

The title of "ages" comes after an age has begun. Like, the age of fire was called such, AFTER Gwyn killed the dragons and established a kingdom ran by fire. When the fire fades, you have a world without fire, that isn't necessarily an "age of dark", until that tie has been established, and it's given such a title.
Kaathe looked forward to an age of dark, because he already dreamed of a lord and a kingdom and all that stuff. That was an age he thought would be established, after the fire lost it's dominance.

The dark, as a dominant element, would eventually shroud the world like fire once did.

I didn't. I used Dragonslayer Spear. Then used my Special Charge Ability while he was on water for 3k Damage Hits. And killed him even faster than parrying

the Dark Souls doesn't "personally" govern Darkness any more than Gwyn's soul "personally" governed light -- that's a metric decided wholly by the strength of the First Flame, and Gwyn's soul wasn't linked to it until he threw himself in.

Fire is an element that brought prosperity. And this is shown when you dispel Gwyndolin's illusion over Anor Londo. As it turns out, it was his power that brought light to the world. Otherwise, it's dark and gloomy.
When the first flame was discovered, the world was still grey. And in fact, when it was first discovered, it was at it's most powerful. So it's not so much that the first flame exists, and is strong which created light for the world. But it was the discovery of the souls within the flame, and the utilization of the souls by the gods.

The Dark Soul does govern Dark. It's really that simple. Fire governs Fire. Dark governs Dark. If one shall fall, the other will dominate. Only be starving both, with the world return to gray.

I didn't even know he and Pontiff could be parried until I saw some webms. I just whacked them with Zweihander like the rest.

The intro to DaS1 firmly states that "with Fire, came disparity. Heat and cold, life and death, and of course, life and dark." It doesn't say "when the Lords found souls within the flame, came disparity."

The light existed before people found souls and utilized souls, as did dark.

You're reading into it too literally. Fire brought disparity. But it didn't come all at once. You can see clearly in the cinematic that the world is still gray when the lords and dragons are fighting. There's the literal disparity of light and shadow. And then there is the disparity that was crafted through the actions of polarized powers.