What are some things in video games that actually got to you...

What are some things in video games that actually got to you? I don't mean something that just made you think "oh that's kinda sad" or whatever, I mean something where you actually had to take a moment.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9JvNhc13oKI
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

To The Moon.
It's hard to say that it's a game, and the plot is kinda cringey. But you can say there's a lot of love put in it. It made me look at games in another way.

the last of us

Only time a game has really hit me emotionally was when I was playing Undertale (inb4 shitposting), I looked at a mirror, and the description said "Despite everything, it's still you."

>Pathologic
When I first realized I just killed an entire family for a slice of bread. It's pretty difficult to explain the entire context of the situation, but it just suddenly felt so messed up I stopped playing and only returned to it few months later, starting an entirely new game and avoided getting into the same situation again.
Also, when you get Hunchback's daugher accidentally slaughtered.
And again, when Lara reveals she plans to murder someone.
Damn that game was full of "fuck me I have to take a moment to process this shit" moments.

>Silent Hill 2
The staircase of fire scene. That one moment when I realized Angela's life was even more fucked up than James'es was, and that I had that in front of my own eyes this whole time, but I just did not see it, because I was too preoccupied with James'es tragedy. Telling a terrible, tragic story is one thing: reminding you that within all of this tragedy, you have also become blind and selfish is another.

>The Witcher 2
Final confrontation with Letho made me realize all the moral judgements I have been passing out about that character and sincerely believed were worthless, and that was not a pretty realization. I loved that moment so very, very much.

Valkyria Chronicles, GTA IV, Psychonauts.

Shadow of the Colossus when Agro falls off the cliff. I'm pumped that he survived in the ending cinematic though

He's your only friend,

Nier
ending B hit me harder than ending D actually, the last thing yonah says to the shadowlord and then the credits start playing was stronger than me

Stanley Parable where you're constantly throwing yourself off the stair case over and over again.

fantastic taste user

One I see mentioned very rarely is in Fallout 3. There's this pre-war tape, with a nurse I think, who starts out calm but eventually freaks the fuck out as she realizes the bombs are about to hit. One of few examples of great acting in that game, and it felt really harrowing.

Silent Hill 2 when I got in Water ending.

>James'es

Shit nigga, what are you doin'?
It's James'. That's how your write it. James'.

I actually thought the Escape ending was even sadder. I mean: the final piece of narration in the Escape ending is your wife trying to apologize for fucking dying on you. It just makes you realize how COMPLETELY unnecessary it all is. It's insane, really.

I'll keep that in mind for next time.

Soma

Probably, Ace Combat 4. Poor Yellows.

Big ant wave at the end of the first level in EDF 4.1

It was the realisation that this isn't wasn't some purely scripted cinematic moment, all those ants coming over the horizon really were about to hit the line and overrun my Ranger ass.

>mfw it only gets more hectic in future levels

EDF is one of those franchises I always mean to get to but never do.

This. The ending was unexpectedly not gay

Nothing.
They're video games for fuck sake. Get a grip lads.

really, meeting somebody like Letho got you to flip around on yourself like that?

act4 helipad and onwards in mgs4 fucked my shit all up

>really, meeting somebody like Letho got you to flip around on yourself like that?
Yeah. The reveal of his motivation and of his real character took me completely by surprise, and that is not something that happens very commonly to me. It's not exactly a life-changing experience, or something that would force me to change my moral standards entirely, but it was fun to see a game to blind me so efficently.

End of mgs4 when sonny asks otacon when snake is coming and he gets teary and says he's always late

I didn't find the story cringey at all, it was incredible from beginning to end.

The ending of Deadly Premonition fucked me up. It's the only game to legitimately make me cry.

The Walking Dead Season 1.

I'll miss you.

the end of undertale's true ending when toriel shows back up. i seriously did not expect to see her again since it had been so long (having to get the good ending first, etc.). sans, papyrus, etc. seemed so forced that i knew they would show up but i'd almost forgotten about mama goat. i lost it when her theme started playing when she showed up

but fuck the people who say the asriel shit got to them, you barely know anything about him until the end, and then five minutes later he's the main bad guy, why are we supposed to care about him besides le cut goat shota?

In SMT 4 when you go to find out what the "reds" are actually made up of. There is a room where you see a lil girl kiddo and she says that she wants to marry the dude in charge of the ashura whatever. And she follows that up by saying that the dude told here that age doesn't matter in love or something to that affect which for some reason made me wonder if he diddled the kids which really bothered me for some reason

Red Dead Redemption.

The game was spoiled for me, I knew exactly what was going to happen, and I STILL cried like a bitch.

Planescape Torment
It was fun figuring out how the planes work

John Marston died like a true American and a true Scotsman. Don't you ever forget that.

I can tell you the reason why Asriel got to me was that I have kids. I think Asgore's house got me a bit more though.

Man, that ending was a bitch. Very visceral and dark, compared to the game.

Saving Zulf in Bastion youtube.com/watch?v=9JvNhc13oKI

;~;

i just realized this game is more than 3 years old
god i need to get my ass in gear

I played the first Silent Hill for the first time a few weeks ago.
Lisa's realization and then reading her diary made me set the controller down for a few minutes. Took me a bit to take it all in.

Videos a spoiler for layton and the unwound future.

But this actually got to me. Its such a chill, relaxing game and Layton is the most fucking optimistic gentleman, just to see how break down like that actually really had an impact. It wasnt forced or pandering or drawn out or explosive. It was just really fucking sad, especially after learning his back story and seeing the hat isnt just a retarded prop to him.

I completely avoided the internet until I bear RDR and I'm glad I did. That ending fucked me up so hard.

I was expecting the same with Mass Effect 3 and guess how that shit turned out.

did it ever get a ful translation? I was under the impression only that scene was translated. And I dont mean machine translated, that shit is too hilarious to take seriously.

When I let Pavel die in this war of mine

No joke, the first time I cleared Journey, there was just something about doing all of that with a complete stranger that got to me

Possession ending of SH3.

I was a little disappointed.

Not the other grammar Nazi, but feel free to write either James' or James's. It really just depends on how you actually pronounce the word, so both are fine.

t. English teacher

The ending to Conker's Bad Fur Day was such a 360 from the rest of the game that it got me good. then I read they were originally going to make him commit suicide as well

Basically this whole game
>you know what say about good times

Yes, as a father, Asgore's speech about how he wants his wife back, his son to be back alive, and just to not have to do this made him feel crushed by circumstances in such an honest, real way. I could totally see Fox being someone who had experience the serious, but also unfair loss of someone who was supposed to outlive you.

Maiden Astrea hit me a bit hard. The other games in the series tried to have similar moments, but none of them were as powerful for me.

Pac-Man World 2
Fuckers mixed up Blinky and Clyde

you fuck your students?

Easily one of the best moments in gaming. You'd never think that they would have used the animal as pathos.

Had to quit playing Mafia 2 because it gave me a bunch of missions in a row that I didn't want to do

GTAV when Trevor pulls out that guy's teeth.

Murdering Wrex, Mordin, and Ashley

The giraffes in TLoU

The ending of Mafia 2 really made me feel something.

>Earthbound Ending
>TWD Season 1 Ending

I like to think he does offscreen

Shadow of the Colossus' ending fucked me up.

TWD S1 with you know who's death at the end and Clementine having to take care of it almost made me bawl like a fucking baby.