How can you call this a bad game? More than 1/2 of you have never played it

How can you call this a bad game? More than 1/2 of you have never played it.

>I've seen videos
Watching game != playing game. How many times have you sat at a friends house while he plays and been bored to tears even though it's a great game?

>graphics
It came out at the beginning of the gaming industry.

This game could be a magical and wonderful game, the greatest you've ever played, and you are just going to let it slip through your fingers.

>More than 1/2 of you have never played it.
I'd say this is very inaccurate since it's pretty much the first Atari game everyone tries emulating.

That said, if you don't read the manual first you will NOT understand the point of the game or how to win. I actually read the manual first, and surprise surprise, it wasn't that bad.

It's sad seeing people judge games they've never played.

I've seen many ignorant opinions on WINNER games like Shaq Fu and Sonic 06 from people just repeating what they heard online.

i've played it

the graphics are actually pretty good for the time, just confusing.

the game is actually made very well considering the time constraints to make it. (wasn't it like 3 weeks or something stupid?) it has no real bugs

the biggest issues? difficulty is way too high the life meter needed to be like 10x bigger and how the map was made should of been explained better.

it just got a horrible reputation because E.T. was fucking huge when it came out and it made E.T. atari like the #1 christmas gift only for the game to be entirely too hard and too confusing for 10 year olds to figure out so the kids were horribly disappointed and back then you could return video games that were opened so of course people did.

>This game could be a magical and wonderful game, the greatest you've ever played
Except it isn't and literally anyone can play it now without an Atari.

I grew up with an Atari 2600 and a smattering of games for it (Pac-Man, Combat, Q-Bert, The Empire Strikes Back, Adventure, Haunted House, Yar's Revenge, Super Cobra, Vanguard, Space Invaders, Asteroids, Demons to Diamonds, etc.)

E.T. wasn't my favorite, but I also don't think it was the worst game ever. (The reason it had all those copies dumped in a landfill is because they vastly overproduced the game.)

Hell, Swordquest: Earthworld was the worst thing I owned, in my opinion.

>Swordquest
>He's holding a dagger

swordquest was only semi-popular because of the contest associated with it. i think they scrapped the last two games because of poor sells (wasn't the 3rd game at least in prototype form?)

More people shit on it for its effect on the game industry then tbe game itself. For whatever reason people seem to blame only this game for the 83 crash. While a major contributor there were more games and people to blame.

Literally unplayable

Wait people hate Shaq Fu? I traded my Mortal Kombat 3 for it. Best trade ever

before making the gimmick they should have made a good game

I laughed harder than I should've

Is ET the first game that got an overly negative reputation primarily because it couldn't live up to the hype?

It's a common thing for games these days but back then games themselves didn't have massive marketing budgets. ET, being based on a movie that had a massive marketing budget, rode a similar hype train even though it wasn't directly for the game.

the gimmick was to sell the game, when it didn't work they canceled the remaining planned games and ran off with the un-won prizes

sad too as it's unknown for sure what happened to them, i do know one of the gold prizes that did get awarded ended up being melted down for the gold.

All the prizes were melted down.

This board really takes being a contrarian way too far.

almost:

The Chalice of Light was won by Michael Rideout. The chalice itself was made of gold and platinum and was adorned with citrines, diamonds, green jade, pearls, rubies, and sapphires. Like the Talisman of Penultimate Truth, the Chalice of Light had a value of $25,000. In a 2005 interview, Rideout stated he was still in possession of the chalice.

to add to this: the wiki article does counterdict itself by saying the sword was stolen but lower down mentions everything was melted down.

The quest is to find a sword doofus.

Do you really have to always play the game yourself to know it's terrible? What about Superman? Just watching videos about the game tell me I don't need to waste my time playing it. I watched a TAS run of it (because I was curious if speedrunners tried playing that game) and not only do the controls look horrible, the levels are uninspired and the gameplay is garbage. No need to actually sit down and play it myself.

I played E.T. back in the day. My friend got it for Christmas and he invited me around to play it. We spent about an hour trying to figure out what to do, but then gave up because the pits were too damn annoying. I haven't played it since, and I don't think he did either.

Do you live in a hut? Go for '101 Hardcore' article on that, it's the finest shit on Shaq-Fu.

Do you have to use a product to review it? Can't I just watch someone use the item?

I wouldn't put out a review of Superman, but I most certainly would be able to decide while watching a video that it's a piece of shit I don't want to waste my time with.

Good games for that time were centered wholely around doing one thing well, like Reactor. E.T. was actually a little over-ambitious in that regard for the time.

Most nobody cares whether or not it was actually a good game though. The slightly more interested care about its complete market failure. The average Cred Forums poster just cares that G4 made it an attractive meme to parrot.

Played it. It's not the worst game I've ever played, but it's nothing special either. Doesn't surprise me that it was one of the causes of the crash, what with the hype surrounding it and seeing the end result. But I'm confident that HSW did the best he could in the small amount of time Atari gave him.

>This game could be a magical and wonderful game, the greatest you've ever played, and you are just going to let it slip through your fingers.

wot