Wow user, you're such a good programmer. Let's make a game together!

>Wow user, you're such a good programmer. Let's make a game together!
>You can do the coding, and I'll be the idea guy!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IMWLWmOftWo
adl.org/combating-hate/hate-on-display/c/pepe-the-frog.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Wow you zipped that file, do you want to help me make a video game, user.

>"I don't plan to just be some idea guy. I can direct, assign tasks, give deadlines!"

Would programmers be willing to work with someone who did the art assets, writing, and designed the game mechanics (and maybe some of the music)? I like to do that stuff, but I hate programming so no matter how much game design and art I do, I can never make a game myself

Literally the worse.

My team of 3 programmers are trying to find artists for a big project.

My group is actually looking for someone to do the art assets and writing.

But so many art students here think they're worth so much.

>Not using rpgmaker with tons of free available scripts

PROGRAMMERS BTFO

>you are so good at computer
>you should apply for an IT job at a xxx mega corporation

art assets, yes

programmers are typically bad at art, hence the term programmer art

WOOOOW!
A TUMBLR THREAD!
Whoa...

I prefer the title "Lead Game Concept Designer and Game Direction Co-ordinator", personally.

MY FUCKING OLDER BROTHER SAID THIS TO ME.
"with my brains and your coding and stuff, we could make a cool game."
Hes 30 and I'm 25.

Yes. Yes they would.

If you pay them, yes.

How long do you have? How good does it have to be?

he means that he wants to make babbies with u

;)

you should had that chance!

GLFW for making games
Yes or no?

You be the coder/idea guy and i'll critically evaluate your work and make suggestions.

You build the engine and do the art, I'll be the lore master. Sounds neat huh?

Let's be real for a second can anyone really say with a straight face that they are an 'ideas guy' and pretend they bring to the table the same ammount of skill/work as a Programmer/Artist/Sound dude?, I don't think so.

I mean, it's a role that's literally saying, "Make my game for me, I don't have any skill"

Only if you marry me, faggot

Echoing everyone else. Yes. Yes. Yes. I mean, a lot of them would probably like to have a hand in game mechanics and potentially a little of the writing too if they're into that, but being the programmer while having a partner do the art would be much appreciated.

I love programming and I'm having a blast coding my project, but it's sort of annoying to know that once I'm done coding I'm going to have to figure out a solution to everything being a square.

I'd love to work on a game with others, or something else software related. Small programming teams are awesome

>Tumblr thread
¿

Some people are pretty delusional and think that their "input" is worth something despite it being something they put no effort into and just assumed it's good.

Response: "Yeah sure man, you can be like the project manager. Now secure some funds to get an artist, famalam."

>I'm thinking of something fresh, something new, something that'll really give the industry a kick in the ass!
>.....a survival rogue-lite multiplayer game with crafting elements
>in early access!

If they fill the role of a director and do a good job with that, then I can't think of a reason why not.

What if i told you i'm an idea dude that has experience in professional studios making sound effects?

>Roguelike is the new meme genre
>If the game has you restart after dying it's a roguelike
>The genre is being flooded with garbage indie pixel shit games
It hurts

>tumblr worships a symbol of white supremacy

Wow really makes you think...hmm

SOME idea guys have genuinely good ideas.

Bad idea guys are those that don't understand technical limitations and what can or can't be done.

Without strong creative influences and someone to direct that you're either going to have a very dry game or no game at all.

>I was almost going to say these exact words to my friend
Thank god I didn't, I soon realised how much of a faggot that would make me.

I wanna do some 3d for a game, but I'm not great with unity and too busy to learn at the moment. Where should I go see and find like minded people?
/agdg/?

I bet there's a subreddit for it.

>Not making a game solo

easier to recruit a bunch of talented neckbeards with the promise of pay and then screw them over and run off with all the money.

Not him but can I assist in writing?
I just want my name on the game I'll do it for pic related.

enjoy the lawsuit

I am an uncreative programmer. I like Idea guys who can code somewhat because I just like fixing code and making it as efficient as possible.

>Lawsuit

Unless you're dumb enough to sign something, no.

That's not the way it works

>idea guys
>coding

You're going to find code that was copy pasted from youtube video tutorials and cobbled together in the most nonsensical manner possible.

tfw ideas guy with some programming exp but no time to make anything because of work.

yeah, like they'd figure out how to sue. gotta wipe that cheeto dust off their fingers and watch the new episode of My Little Pony first.

>I can draw pixel art
>Therefor i think i can design a fun game!

Yes it is.

As long as you pay me in advance.

No it's not.

>Check out this indie retro graphic game im making.

Is too.

Game design is a thing. Being an idea guy is perfectly acceptable but its not realistic to expect to be able to be one right off the bat. It's hard to prove that you've got the chops and right ideas so often you need to be an artist or programmer and incorporate your design, then if you wish you can just be a full time designer if you've made a successful game.

Look up the English contract law.

Lawyers are a thing. No need to skip mlp for that.

>i actually took a games design course back when i was 16

what a dark time that was

No worries user, i spent 40000 dollars to get a degree in minimum wage qa testing! :D

>I wanna work for video games.

No need to learn unity. They just need to make a pipeline for you and you're done.

>contract law

Gee hard to enforce that without a contract

You're legit retarded.

A contract between 2 more parties doesn't have to involve a literal contract.

they cost money too. money they don't have because I didn't pay 'em!

I got 15000 euros without a contract. Don't know how it goes in other courts, but here you just need proof.

Pro bono lawyers you fucking retarded jew.

No cure, no pay lawyers are a thing if they are really broke.

No.

No you didn't.

>No.

No what? Are you dense? What is so hard to understand. The English Contract law does not require a literal written contract. If the person that is suing you has times,dates,written documentation (You lying about paying them) then that's all it takes.

>No you didn't.

I'm sure he actually did.

Please, stay denial and execute your plan.

Yeah good luck winning with one of those against my army of corporate lawyers paid for with the money I made ripping them off!

This thread is soooo boringgggg. Let's get it poppin' y'all!!

LISA FRANK THREAD!!

You do realize that there are "Super lawyers" that work pro bono right?

Your lawyers will advice for a settlement.

I wish this was laughable but it's actually sad since a video game that was given as a gift to The Pope was made by a dude who doesn't even know how to program.

No you're wrong.

loser.

>wow user, you post pepe! you are the edgecoolest!

I wish I had a friend to do this with.

GML is a progamming language

>No you're wrong.

At this point i'm just going to assume you're pretending to be retarded.

Yeah, I'll settle out of court. Twenty hotpockets each. One for every million I made off their backs!

links?

He said he would need to hire someone if he ever wanted to port the game because he doesn't know how to program.

>I have no argument: The post

Wew.

I already gave you my argument, not my fault you're too stupid to understand it.

>HURR DURRRRR
dense as a fucking diamond

No it's not.

No what? Are you dense? What is so hard to understand. The English Contract law does not require a literal written contract. If the person that is suing you has times,dates,written documentation (You lying about paying them) then that's all it takes.

>relatively older than the rest of the class
>teacher wants us to make a program of our choice
>was planning on making some sort of registry/debt listing thing that we could use in our family business, and I could improve upon over time
>guy next to me asks if I'm in a group
>"nah, I was thinking of going solo"
>he shouts at the teacher that I dont have a group and can join theirs
>fuck my life.jpg
>they want to do a game because what I wanted to do was apparently "too easy"
>they keep suggesting that they'll put in features like "AI", or "10 maps for each difficulty"
>mfw they dont know how to code
>mfw we have different schedules
>mfw I pretty much make a skin and bones version of what we planned to do, all alone
>mfw get a b- because we didnt have all the things "WE" promised

no one gives a literal shit though

>Writing about paying them

lol

>mfw I thought this was the video games board

>my group wanted to make a CMS... in Flash

I've got diamonds shaped like a hexagon

As a programmer, you have limited skills. Your game won't make it out there without someone to manage the project, criticize flaws you won't notice, handle marketing, web dev, find other hires and push the game out to the world. All you do is the programming. And yes, one person CAN do all the things I listed. You don't need a bunch of people for your project, but you do need someone.

not even him you dense as fuck drooling dipshit

Be more assertive. It was your duty to tell them no and you fucked up.

>you dense as fuck drooling dipshit

Explain how i'm dense for proving him wrong then.

Depends.

I've seen writers get called idea guys. Both scriptwriters AND world builders. Hell I got called one when I explained I was fleshing out the laws and shit of my world for a novel I'm writing before actually writing the novel.

>Shitting on the idea guy

Shut the fuck up faggots. Good resource management, ordered workflow and asset prioritization makes the difference. It's the difference between a game in development limbo and a good game. You programmers, artists, sound guys are real egotistical fucks who'd let a game die because of ego instead of making realistic concessions. Apologize to middle management everywhere and eat a bag of dicks.

Because obvious troll got a butthurt response from your punk ass.

People will call you that because they resent being a mere modeling or programming cog with no creative say. replaceable and frivolous.

So i guess this image still applies then

Yeah, it applies... TO YOU@@!!!11!!

it depends if they're useful.

Idea's are great, but they're also cheap. It's a pretty good skill to make dozens of ideas, and refine them down to something workable and good, and THEN be able to help implement the ideas

>Good resource management, ordered workflow and asset prioritization makes the difference
that's a project manager. not an ideas guy
> Apologize to middle management everywhere
no.

>Hell I got called one when I explained I was fleshing out the laws and shit of my world for a novel I'm writing before actually writing the novel.
That's what you're SUPPOSED to do, actually.

a "good" idea guy will know everyone's strength and weaknesses and adjusts the project accordingly thus lowering the potential quality of the product, a "bad" idea guy is someone that pulls out all the breaks and goes big without regard for his peers faults and this improves the potential quality of the product however it is a gamble as well because it will depend on the skills of his chosen mates, If the skill sets don't match they will bring him down

That's an ideas guy you stupid fuck, read the thread. Apologize.

>tfw messing around in rpg maker mv because i can't code shit

a-anybody want to help?

and guess what is being managed in the project? Ideas.

I'll do it for next to free if you're serious senpai
Drop your email

what happens when you choose trump

We are all ideas guys. If we weren't we wouldn't think of the idea to go on a Hungarian cheese making commune board to post about being ideas guys. So what does an ideas guy bring to the table if everyone else can do his job?

Idea guys are worthless. They can be easily replaced by ANYONE in the team that's already a programmer.

All you need is someone to take initiative and lead. You don't need someone that's just an idea guy. Programmers can easily do that and regulate themselves.

>hey user your good at programming, how about i help you do the art/modeling
>do 5 months of building the base code
>"hey wheres the model work"
>"i was waiting for the engine"
>"ok well here it is"
>he quits after doing one model
never fucking again

worst thing about it is i NEED someone to do the art because im fucking inept at it

Hire someone if he wanted to port to say, the 3DS or something, a system he is not experienced with. If he tried too, it would literally be gif related

Are you actually autistic or something

>years back in high school
>group of friends get together to make a game
>I volunteer to do programming but this other kid made a candy crush clone with MS paint graphics so he gets to be it
>starts strong with music, art, and the beginnings of the game
>candy crush guy insists that his art be used
>looks like a retarded bara shrek lizard
>we don't tell him it's awful since he wouldn't listen anyway and it'd make him needlessly upset
>he insists on using an asinine time travel story that he says he got partially from stargate
>people slowly forget about it
>candy crush guy does too
>lose all contact after high school
>now making a game with my little sister

Artists have no work ethics. I had a guy that was doing admittedly free concept art for me and he turned in like two sketches. I didn't really give a shit because he offered it for free but he could have cared a little more instead of fucking off to play whatever FoTM title. I still see him on steam playing games.

>They can be easily replaced by ANYONE in the team that's already a programmer.

Then why is it that there are literally scores of failed game ideas in gaming history? Why do we even need producers or coordinators? Are people really that delusional to think that one skill (programming) is enough to take on other skills needed for the execution of a game or literally anything?

>managing an idea
You're pretty delusional

Those ideas failed because they were bad ideas and/or had no money. Not because of a failure of management.

A programmer has a better concept of what can and can't be done. All the idea guys I've seen spout out ideas and ask for impossible shit within the timeframe and budget.

if you can find someone good, and pay them, they'll deliver some fucking good stuff. I've worked with some good artists, and when they're good, they're good.

They tend to be snatched up by studios though, as good work ethic in artists is rare.

>english majors

>tfw some guy asked me to help with art
>get really fucking excited, no one had ever asked before
>draw up a shitload of stuff, enemies, NPCs, portraits, animations
>he takes it all and never finishes the game
And that's why I refuse to do art for other people's games now. I'll make my own game.

what happens when you choose #1

You got paid for it at least, right?

Not a good idea IMO. A question like that seriously dates your game. Kind of like how Bad Dudes is crazy dated because you can tell the president is Reagan. I'd change the slogan too as it's too heavily associated with Trump which would, again, date your game.

What I would do, as seeing as the game's setting is the real world, is have the answer be the setting's current (fictional) president which the player can figure out if they've been paying attention. IMO Metal Wolf Chaos does a good job of avoiding this issue with Michael & Richard.

>Not a good idea IMO. A question like that seriously dates your game

It's a test you dingus, i said i was fucking around in it and learning.

top fucking kek

I need someone to do art assets but I also need a music guy at some point. Even though I know how to use a DAW really well and some basics of synthesizing, mixing, and music theory, I find it hard to actually make something good. It seems like the best thing I can do is shit out some chords using circle of fifths. Additionally I don't want to get anyone hooked into making art before I know I can actually make a good game on some engine so they won't waste their time. Usually some sort of fucking detail stops me hard, like interpolation when scaling window size for instance.

Fair enough. Just something I think you should keep in mind when you actually get started.

I appreciate it either way user and i agree.

to add to this i'm going to learn it inside out until i have a good grasp on what i can actually do. Once i'm finished i'll create a prototype to present to an artist so they know they won't be wasting their time since everything will be already done with the exception of art

Nope, I was a dumb, gullible high school kid. Every request he made was immediately met with art, but he only made a quarter of the game then told me he didn't want to make it anymore. Wouldn't even let me pick up the code and try helping since it was an easy engine I had some knowledge of, just took it all and left.

Why can't the artist and writer be the idea guy?

>not posting your portfolio
You don't even deserve good shitposting in response. Have a fucking frog

"This is shit work programmer guy. I'm good at shooting your flaws. Arnt you glad I'm onboard? "

heh, you're alright user.

Am I an idea guy for being a director/writer/or project lead?

yes
just learn how to do something besides having ideas, like programming, modelling or editing images/textures

yeah assuming their stuff was actually good and they weren't annoying

nice bait

use a preexisting engine if you actually plan on finishing a game

You mean like writing or project management?

Not him but to be fair I can put out tens of thousands of words a day that only require a few editing passes, and I'm forever fixing up the drivel that the other guys I'm working with put out - which would be arduous but it seems to take them an hour to do a thousand words.

Okay real story
>2012 16 years old
>Gamemaker 8
>Pretty experienced, 1-6 hour(s) a day for two years or so
>Have blow off "effort-based" art class and just make flashgame-tier games for about an hour
>Seats moved the second semester
>Placed next to a kid named Robert
>Robert had rubix cube, pokemon t-shirt, skinny, white, glasses
>friends on other side of the room, didnt want to be seen talking with robert
>pull out laptop and start working on something I've been messing with since the beginning of the year
>A top down counter strike clone
>"Did you code all that?"
>Glance at him, nod head, continue to work on smoke physics
>"Yea all that looks pretty simple to me."
>5% triggered
>"What are you trying to do user?"
>explain smoke physics
>"The smoke is a bit too dark."
>15% triggered
>Explain that I know what I want, I can make it happen
>"I actually designed effects for WOW and I know a lot more about code than you do"
>whattheFUCK 130% triggered
>Dont know what to say, that came out of nowhere and its painfully obvious he's jealous.
>just nod slightly and smirk to not agress him
>he spends the rest of the period talking about wow despite all the body language I'm giving him to fuck off
>next class
Continuing to the actual part if this thread isnt locked

back when pepe was more innocent and wholesome

I hate people like that. I had a classmate back in college who thought he was so amazing at programming yet he was always blowing off the classwork and wondering why he was getting bad grades on the exams.

ayyyy

I'm done the programming

Thanks for the idea faggot. Later.

Most issues arise from artists being dramatic divas and programmers thinking their work is worth 3 times as more as the artist so people never get along.
Then you get writers which hate each other and will never ever settle on a story. Its a nightmare.
Music guys tend to be prouder than anyone else, getting pretty butthurt if your phillistine ass challenges their music.
Then you get a guy that has dabbled in a bit of everything but still especializes on something so he understands the struggles and hardships of each part of game devopment.
Those guys are worth their weight in gold.

>every request he made was met with art
should've made him some art of you fucking his mom when he ditched you lol

>Then you get a guy that has dabbled in a bit of everything but still especializes on something so he understands the struggles and hardships of each part of game devopment.
>Those guys are worth their weight in gold

So I'm worth $3,152,542.32. How do I sell myself?

Spread your ass cheeks.

>can code
>not already working on a game
>implying you autists don't need someone to give you ideas
If you had a plan for a game worth making you'd be making it, not standing around doing nothing but talking to idea guys.

OK see that's were you fucked up. You should have both had access to the code from the start, and he should have taught your ass how to push code to a current build with your assets. That's what anybody collaborating in a group should be doing except maube a writer.

>If you had a plan for a game worth making you'd be making it
That takes drive and determination. Almost nobody has that.

I'll do writing, but not for free.

>next class period
>pop open laptop
>He proposes a fantastic idea
>"We should both make a game"
>Explain its just a hobby
>"but dude we can be rich"
>Tell him no again
>"Well then I'm not telling you my idea"
>ok
>10 minutes
>"You know, you're going to regret not teaming with me"
>im sure I will
>"I designed effects for WOW and I know all the coders. I have the contacts and everything I dont even need you."
>ok
>"You know.. when I finish designing the next biggest franchise, I'll remember you. And you'll just be coding this poor excuse of a game. And I will never give you a position in my company"
>500% triggered
>I can snap Roberts twig of a forearm over the knee if I got any more pissed
>"You're really never going to get hired are you?"
>I notice the room is quiet
>This 90lb kid is trying to fucking bully me
>art teacher gives the "hey thats mean cut it out"
>"Its true though"
>I snapped
>Save~Close laptop standup
>Robert lets not do this in public
>he follows me out the door
>friends know whats about to happen
>pick him up and throw him on the ground as hard as I could
>Second offense, got sent to other school

I have a personal hate towards idea guys and even with therapy I still want to bash their fucking colar bones.

>and guess what is being managed in the project?
time. a project manager's job is to make sure everyone in the project is spending their time efficiently. that's what resource management, ordered workflow and asset prioritization boils down to. and ideas guy does not do those things. someone who does do those things is not an ideas guy.

Yeah, I was a stupid person. I thought he would actually see it through from how many requests he gave me but no.
Recently I found out that he had taken the assets I made and sold them to some guy on patreon, was mad as hell

>Oh woe is me, I do X thing and I need to find a Y-er to produce Y for me
>Why the fuck won't you work with me for free?
>What do you mean you don't want to sacrifice thousands of hours for no compensation of any kind on the promise of money that might not happen
>WHAT THE FUCK? YOU ME WANT ME TO PAY YOU? FUCK OFF.

I just summed up 99% of the problems these people have.

>tossing idiots around
You're really not going to get hired by any company, vidya or not.

you sound pretty autistic too m8
you could have just told him to fuck off

OK they're spread. Now what? Will the funds be deposited in my ass?

>I snapped
I wouldn't hire nor work with you either. Find a more soothing job, this line of work is not for people like you, dude.
You'll probably kill somebody when you have a real deadline under your neck.

Well Robert just kept going on and on about how he "designed effects for world of warcraft" which I'm guessing he just went to a game camp or something and pretended to do something successful.

He's probably autistic or something when I think about it, but its no excuse for trying to bully someone twice his size.

this guy
is right. I know you said it's just a hobby but if you do ever find yourself working for vidja gaymes you need to calm down. The industry is full of people with shitty personalities and big egos. It's the worst of "creative types" meets nerd-dom.

How would you get into a management position anyway? I always figured you had to start off working on the lower end before you'd get into management.

You sound like you were quiet and fairly stable before the twiggy kid harassed you but from your summary of how you are now the fact you are violently angry will probably push people away.

No, he literally stated that he cannot program.

>can program, art, and music
Feels good as fuck. Thirsty musicfags and a few programmers have tried to get in on my project(s). Yet I can never find a fucking designer(bosses and levels). I made a level editor to try to draw one in but, no luck. So I've completely given up on working with other people for a while. Doing everything yourself is rough on some days but, I wouldn't recommend any other way.

>I always figured you had to start off working on the lower end before you'd get into management.
that's the ideal situation for everyone but too often the manager just went through a management and business course and has no experience what it's like working on the ground floor, so to speak. which means they are clueless about all the tips, tricks, and unwritten rules of the given trade. they are unable to even distinguish who is at fault when something goes wrong half the time

It's not just that industry, it's any industry. Anyone will have up to 10 fucking retarded, mean and incompetent bosses by the time they're 35.

You only need to do two things to succeed in this life, boys and dick-girls. The first is to be on time and in the proper uniform while doing what you're meant to be doing. The second is to suffer fools. You have to learn how to deal with annoying fucking retards. You just have to. Because you'll be fucking working for them. Bonus points if you can figure out how to get what you should be doing done in spite of them, but that's not really necessary.

Eh, $27hr photography sales. Fine income, don't really need anything more.
It's still a hobby to me, I took therapy so I won't be so reluctant to fight, but the urge will never leave.
Well the violence was in part to the fact that I was working out months before due to highschool insecurities. Took therapy, went to a new school, turned around. But I still cant forgive ideas guys

>be me
>senior year in uni, majoring in computer science
>feel like I know nothing about programming

I've even been offered side jobs doing some minor coding for some indie games. I've turned them all down because I feel like I don't know shit.

Agreed. Sometimes I can't do anything because of uni, but it feels good knowing that no one will bitch at you and the final product is your own.

Its probably because you start your fucking posts with
>be me

>Will the funds be deposited in my ass?
Yes
*Unzip dick*

Take them anyway and try and learn as you go along. I feel the same way though that the programming courses don't actually do a lot to help prepare you for actual programming.

Lmao, the autistic one here is you, literally sperged out.

was it autistic

Well according to the therapist: the reason I snapped was because I was just bottling it like the introverted kid I was. I should've said "fuck off" in words to exhaust the anger.

Personally I cant guarantee that wouldve worked. I was raised into believing debate was a waste of time and I should just brush it off, so I made no attempt to even reason/argue with the guy.

An ability to translate simple english sentences.
>WORK AS A TRANSLATOR user
"Fixing" someones PC by reinstalling deleted sound drivers a guy deleted "to make more space bro the games didn't fit anymore". The hard drive was divided by someone and he crammed everything into tiny Windows only C disk.
>WORK IN IT user
Unrelated, but still maddening.
>YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT YOUR PC, I BET YOU CAN'T EVEN LIVE 24 WITHOUT IT.
Cool, I don't use my PC for 24 hours and you don't drink any alcohol in the very same 24 hours.
>HA WHAT user THAT'S BULLSHIT WE WERE TALKING ABOUT YOU.
Well if you can't do it just say so.
>ALRIGHT ALRIGHT JUST TO GET YOU OFF THAT DAMN THING JEEZ
Guess who was drinking 5 hours later? Fucking pieces of shit.

you have terminal autism

Yeah but with a crew of 4 bros in their garage, you don't really need a director, and there's not a lot for someone that's just a director to do when you can look at everyone and tell them what to work on next. I'm not experienced in the business at all, but it's held true in many industries that smaller teams don't have as much for a singular leader figure to do.

If it's indie-level and you can't bring anything practical to the table, you're not needed. At least take care of marketing, or something to fill your down time with other than checking e-mails.

Idea guy, artist, programmer, musician.... doesn't matter.

The problem with indie development getting anywhere is ALWAYS either:
>"too many chieftains, not enough squaw"
or
>"complete lack of discipline"

Someone has to be the decision maker, the one that has the final say on a project, end of story.
Everyone has to keep working, end of story.
Neither happens > 99% of the time.

I wouldn't go near you because you seem like you need the therapy but goddamn it felt satisfying to read that he got a slam after that shit

This is healthy advice.

Unfortunately, incompetence tends to lead to failure, sooner or later. My last company relocated me to my current city, with a generous reloc package. Just three months later they announce they've run out of money and everyone's getting laid off, forcing us to hustle balls to finish the projects in a month.

True. I've seen very talented designers, artists, and programmers fail because they're indecisive fucks. Keep iterating over and over instead of settling.

>tfw enjoy programming but just hate anything related to visual design
Game design and web design are just tedious and boring, at least I can actually make some dosh instead of trying to get a game design job.

Is it really that easy to get chucked out of highschool outside the UK?

The people I shared week long "isolation" periods with here were chav regulars bragging that they'd beat the absolute shit out of people fresh from primary. They'd say it to anyone that would listen and even joke about it to the wannabe teachers watching over the rooms, fuck all would happen to them aside from being put back in when they beat another easy target.

First offense was when I beat up some kid in middleschool for making jokes at my dead dad.

Going from that to grounding some annoying kid I legit tought I was mentally messed up so I got myself tested alongside therapy (which was required anyway)

Nothing came up. I was just a dumb asshole all along.

that's just a hurdle you have to go over. For the first week or so you'll be double checking your textbooks for how to do everything but it'll start to properly crystallize inside you

In my experience, small teams benefit most from a director, project manager, lead designer and level designer all wrapped up into one position. If you can do all those things well, you're tremendously useful. Depending on the project, you can throw in worldbuilder, writer, and marketer roles for that same person.

My other advice would be not to get too lopsided. Most projects should have roughly as many artists as programmers. If there are too many artists, the game will lean content-heavy while having just as many systemic demands as before, so the programmers will be swamped.

rpg maker is the comfiest game making app of all time

More deets, neets.

Yep. I was in junior year called to the counselors because someone told them about a tattoo I had on my upper back (It was a falcon, not a gang sign or some shit) and they threatened that I could get ISS if I "instigate violence" or whatever. Absolutely nothing proceded though.
Got therapy, cant say it was satisfying personally because it just went downhill from there.

Real talk, how many programmers are willing to work on someone else's game concept if they're able to do the entire graphical side of the deal? I'd split design decisions but I have like 8 concepts (Actual, overall designs, not just settings) and want to create at least one of them once my artfag power level is high enough.

For some of these "idea guys", I wonder why they don't try harder to design games. They can have presentable concepts like pic related. Doesn't need to be drawn well either as long as it conveys the idea properly. They can learn how bosses, mobs, and shit like that work. They can get good at level design (there's a shit ton of mod-able games out there that let you experiment). If some fag walked up to me between projects with a portfolio of fun as fuck levels and cool concepts, fuck yes I would work with them.

Art is always the thing that programmers need.
Also music composition tends to be another one.
I personally could do writing, and design theory stuff as second nature, but so long as you have a talent, and aren't just being that "idea guy" or "writer" then you will most likely be welcomed.

user, why does he wear the mask?

bad asthma

I am if there's money up front. Otherwise it'd have to be with someone I personally know & trust, and I'd have to LOVE the concept.

Programmers tend to be pretty innapennit

>use google to fix computer problems for family members
>they proceed to tell everyone I'm a computer pro

>Clinton jokes in Lunar: Eternal Blue on PSX
ughhhh
this is why i'm glad working designs is dead

A LOT of the answer is directly affected by your portfolio and concepts that you present. It is not a black and white question because people are people.

Pointers:

1. Keep a portfolio, and make sure it not only demonstrates your best, but also your sketches and improvement over time. And I mean the time thing... keep track of how long it took to complete each example of your work.

2. Stick with a style. Prove you can adhere to your own design concepts and approaches. This is more difficult for a lot of artists than it sounds.

3. Within your style draw a wide spectrum of objects. Not just backgrounds or just characters or just equipment or just etc etc etc ... a small project with very few people is going to need their artist to have a whole toolbox of talents, not just a focused one (which is more attractive to larger projects).

4. Maintain at bare minimum a business casual/professional tone and appearance at any time you interact with someone in some way that can be traced back to you. Anonymous image? No fucks given. The moment there is a chance someone could say, "Hey.... isn't that so-and-so, that artist?" now or in the future make sure to dress for success.

5. If you are given a deadline or promises something by some point.... MAKE IT IN ON TIME! You will be head and shoulders above your peers if people know you can be relied on to get your work done in a given time frame.

t. Indie developer since 2005

Just being able to find the answer yourself, even on Google, makes you better than 50% of people.
Even car mechanics use the service manual.

>I mean, it's a role that's literally saying, "Make my game for me, I don't have any skill"
It'll only work if you're a damn millionaire and the other guy's starved for cash, and even then you both lose

I'm a writer who can art a little. someone hire me. have experience writing sex scenes if that's what you're after.

>It'll only work if you're a damn millionaire and the other guy's starved for cash
that's called being the director and producer. an ideas guy expects you to pay him.

>have experience writing sex scenes if that's what you're after.
what type of sex scenes?

be specific.

ranging from vanilla fluffy stuff between between consenting adults to weird kinky stuff to hardcore brutality w/ mindbreak

Are you the producer of my favourite porn flash games?

Just tell them to explain what a Gantt Chart is to you. It's Project Management 101 and if they've never heard of it they're worse than useless.

nah. though if I don't manage to get a job soon I may end up trying my hand at that and see if I can start raking in dem patreon fun bucks

Do you do frogs and white males?

yeah

fuck off racist

Here's to you user

fukken saved.

>programmers
>creative

Pick one.

Look I get that you guys could make absolutely correct speadsheets, physics and wonderful functionality and we creative's greatly envy and admire you for that. It would be nice if you understood we are being given a bad name by chucklefucks pouring into our line of work because they think it's just an effortless, sweet easy ride.

Actual creative's that deliver something compelling or interesting that is usable are generally oddballs, schizoids for instance spend most of their time alone in their fantasy, that makes for an excellent skill set when it comes to making a compelling world. Please understand, you need us and we need you, just know it is very important who you chose to direct the fucking primary appeal, nobody but you truly cares or remembers the 'kinda neat' physics of shitgame x if that's all it has to it.

>Letsplayers playing "roguelikes"
>tries something casual like DCSS and dies due to hunger like a faggot

I'm with you, bruh.

I still have trouble conceptualizing anything with above ASCII graphics as being a roguelike

You'll have to go a good deal farther back than that, newfriend

>Actual creative's that deliver something compelling or interesting that is usable are generally oddballs, schizoids for instance spend most of their time alone in their fantasy

Considering that game design is all about empathy and iteration, this seems doubtful

We're really looking for local people because we're not trying to make money right now just getting experience and a portfolio. We'd be happy to credit you if you're still interested after learning there is no big profit involved, maybe some ads if we're lucky.

Send me an email if you're interested

detectivee3@ gmail

Prepare for a humiliating multi-stage interview process, culminating in a day long whiteboard grilling, that makes you feel completely worthless by the end

Sound reasonable to me

>ideas guys
youtube.com/watch?v=IMWLWmOftWo

Plenty of creative programmers dude. Jonathan Blow is a computer scientist by training, for example. Notch also has a computer science background. No need to be a dick.

>"I bet the game you're doing is shit next to MY awesome idea!"
>"It's an medieval MMO with anime characters!"
>flood of really crude anime drawings that even deviantart would reject
>Incrediblylong and boring as fuck geography lesson with tolkienesque names

>Considering that game design is all about empathy and iteration,

This should be good, describe how it is even remotely about 'empathy and iteration'.

I forgot the 'generally speaking' part, exceptions prove the rule.

>an ideas guy tries to convince you his ideas are worth anything like hes pouring all the work into making it alive
>Ideas guy thinks his management skill will help like it's him figuring out how to code our game in a timely manner while balancing classes and work
>Ideas guy think he can criticize and point out flaws like we don't have friends doing it for free

adl.org/combating-hate/hate-on-display/c/pepe-the-frog.html

>This should be good, describe how it is even remotely about 'empathy and iteration'.

Empathy because games are made for players, who must be understood to be served. All design decisions must be made from the player perspective. You preemptively avoid lots of problems through empathy. When problems do arise, it takes empathy to either better identify your audience, or to understand what caused the problem in the tester's mind and resolve it.

Iteration because whether a game's design is effective is extremely unpredictable. In my experience, it's far less predictable than the software or art sides. You need to chuck out and rework lots of stuff in response to tests.

You do realize understanding someones perspective and empathy are two entirely different things right?

You know I've always thought he couldn't program but rereading this tweet and using game maker he just says he doesn't know any real programming languages, he probably doesn't realize how close game makers language is to C

>code monkey think he's important
y'all are replaceable, but the visionary behind the game is not.

but what if my skill is analyzing successful trends in games and adding in specific details to what is needed.

i still wouldnt be any where near as useful as someone who has real computer skills but i wouldnt be useless

Actually its more complex than that.
You need a visionary code monkey to do good games because its an interactive media.

Your regular bloejob ideaguy don't even know the trick of the increased gravity speed.

What if the code monkey is also the artist, animator, modeller, concept artist and original idea creator?

Haha, sure.

I'm an environment artist and I know this is bullshit. Proficient coders are severely underpaid, and while I can butt heads with the ones I've worked with, I know how crucial they are to the success of a team.

I wouldn't say 'idea guys' are a dime a dozen, but if I were to pay a staff, priority would go to coding, then to art, then to QA, then to creative / 'idea guys.'

How does that smug anime girl answer me question?

Pyramid of internet arguments nigga

You know every coder has his own coding style. It's kinda like handwriting.
Replacing coders midproject can destroy it if the coder don't follow a specific order that the others can understand

You know coding isn't just doing math? You need to approach things with some intellect and creativity to program your vision right.

Otherwise you'll just be doing spreadsheets at a bank

>Hey you can flow better than me, but I'm too stupid to figure out musical equipment. Will you be the dj AND write my raps for me?

Some people are good with money and people. You can't only be good at programming, the best situation would be gamer programmer with like 80% control over outcome of game, supported by businessman to help advertise, secure legal rights and what not, and hire help if needed.

You do realize that there are no pro bono lawyers for basic civil cases right ?

Criminal cases ? yes.
Important civil case with historical significance ? Yes
Important civil case aligned with some organization I am apart of ? Yes
Please help me get some money I am owed ? No.

I'd like to make my own game but I'd be starting from scratch, game-making-wise

I could do game art though, especially character concepts or character portraits

Situations like you described never happen because of these 2 very common situations: #1 A publisher sees your game and is willing to publish it. #2 Your game is such a boost to your portfolio you get hired to an established company.

I just wanna make a shitty Undertale clone, that will get noticed for it's writing and will get me hired as a writer in the industry.

Give up while you still can

then I hope you'll finance the project besides being an "ideas guy", you little shit.

You can only become a worthwhile ideas guy after you retire from programming to finance and project manage.

>tfw I'm that guy
>tfw I'll never make my game

Decent ideas, zero real talent. Being a lazy hack fraud is suffering. I'm like a slightly less retarded George Lucas

You need to have something good enough that people will play long enough to care about the story. Bear in mind dozens of games built on that same goal are released every month on greenlight

Though if you are serious about it remember this about undertale: it played alog with peoples expectations and had a cleverness to it, keep thinking about what peoples expectations will be each point in the story

still replaceable.

No, understanding someone's perspective is one form of empathy. It fits the dictionary definition and common usage. No call for pedantry here.

Go write books instead.

Go play some US Gold ports.
You will change your mind in 3 seconds.

Where would someone look for that kind of thing though?
To join a crew as an artist?

When Hillary gets into office, she'll make sure all frog posters will go to jail.

you racist white people days are numbered.

>Dev
>QA cockroach
>Idea guy
>Artist
>Director
>Sound guy

Which one woudl you rather be?

"game mechanics director"

If by "dev" you mean lead programmer - probably that.

PR guy who gets paid to shitpost on twitter

Do you want to be Sonic?

Does anybody have it worse then people who do quality control/workflow logistics?

>If you do your job well, nobody notices you've done anything
>if something is fucked up, you are the first person to blame even if it wasn't your fault

beta, tell them to fuck off and do your own thing next time.

Jonothan Blows puzzle design is shit. It is literally one rule which he then breaks to make it 'difficult'

the pay is accordingly good tho

Lol, people like you are the reason games suck now. You've reduced video games to a simple formula, no creativity, just copying whatever ubisoft or ea does. The creativity scene in games is being replaced by generic university graduates who have no imagination.

>you will never make a shitty game java which becomes immensely popular and turns you into a billionaire so you can hire people to make actual good games that you get creative input on

Man, you just made the biggest joke out of yourself. Also, you are barely over 18, get out of here.