When did grow out of the "I care about the story of my Sonic games" phase?

When did grow out of the "I care about the story of my Sonic games" phase?

2007 for me.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OGLvxK-sb4k
music.youtube.com/watch?v=AJb5x6gWozc&feature=share
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What ever happened to Egg Robo?

i always enjoyed them for what they were. i'm curious what kind of shit they are pulling in this new one, especially with that shadow the hedgehog opening

Never.
Gamma... had a hard life...

2007. I bought Sonic and the Secret Rings for Wii and it was shit so I never bought another after that. I still replay Sonic Adventure 1 sometimes for the sake of nostalgia.

The Gamma story made me cry as a kid.

Pretty much never. I've been disappointed by how shitty the stories have been since colors. Rush, the storybook games, unleashed. All had awesome stories that kept the action of the game moving forward and felt purposeful. I have never cringed at sonic stories until they brought the new writers in. Hopefully someone at sonic team writes the story this time

Since adventure. I felt they always sliw the game down. Who the fuck cares about a story for a kids game featuring a blue hedgehog

why does there HAVE to be a story? why can't it be a simple outline in the instruction booklet like in sonic 3? i feel like games nowadays have gameplay exist to service the story whereas the story should exist to service the gameplay

someone give me a summary of gamma's life. Why should i care?

He was made by eggman to stop sonic and he had a few brothers. Alpha, beta etc with different numbers and colors. Gamma was the only sentient one who realized what he was doing and how it was an impossible task. He went on a mission to kill all his brothers and ultimately ended up dying himself. Its actually pret sad when seeing it in sequence

Gamma had an animal inside him, just like his brothers. He realized this and went "rogue" and went in a liberation rampage. And then he died, the end

Eggman's robots are powered by captured animals inside of them. Gamma realized this was wrong, and that the animals should be free. So he went rogue, killed his brothers (mostly putting them out of their misery) to free the animals inside of them, and then allowed himself to die so the animal inside of him could go free.

When I first saw an episode of the Sonic cartoon where Sonic was a freedom fighter against Robotnik who had already conquered almost all the world except for one tiny tree land.

>same two locations every time, no variety
>trying to play up Steve Urkel the Blue Dildo vs A Fat Man as some EPIC DRAMA
>all those awful side characters. "Grr, I'm a girl! Grr, I'm southern y'all! Grr, I'm how you say, le french! Grr, I'm the worst henchmen for Robotnik ever!"

E102 Gamma was one robot of a series built to hunt the Chaos Emeralds. Immediately after his first test run he was pit against his previous model and defacto 'big brother', E101 Beta. He defeated Beta and earned Robotnik's respect, as well as a position for Robotnik's next mission.
Aboard the ship Gamma and 4 other similar models were dispatched to find Froggy, Big the Cat's pet frog that ate a Chaos Emerald. Out of all of them, Gamma was the only one who recovered the right frog, while all the others were sent to the scrap heap to be dismantled and re-purposed or exiled.
After Robotnik captured Amy Rose and her bird friend, she talked to Gamma and invoked sentience and free will inside him. After letting Amy go, she returned the favor by begging Sonic to spare his life. Afterwards, Gamma left Robotnik's ship and decided he would no longer serve under his creator.
He then went out on a mission to "liberate" his brothers that were under the control and cruelty he was formerly under. Once he destroyed some of his kin, he realized they were powered by living animals, and this further added to his mission to free his brothers and thier live power supplies. After hunting down all but E105 and E101 (Beta), Gamma boarded the Egg Cruiser once more to find the last two. He discovered, unlike his previous brothers, E105 was almost completely dismantled and recycled as a weponized engine. After destroying E105, Gamma then went to the deck of the Egg Carrier to liberate his last brother, Gamma. Gamma had been heavily modified from his original design, further motivating Gamma.
After their fight (Gamma's final boss), the two heavily injured each other. Beta was destroyed, and released one of Amy's bird's brothers. Upon seeing the two, Gamma realized he housed the 3rd brother, and, instead of initiating recovery, chose to self destruct.

>second of five brothers
>beat oldest brother
>go on mission
>come back, see older brother going through torturous upgrade due to losing to you
>help Amy save a bird
>learn that you're all powered by animals
>set off to destroy all of your brothers' robot shells to free their animals
>return to base to find older bro
>he's upgraded
>have final battle
>both die
>both birds from inside fly off together with Amy's bird, their child

LOOK AT ALL THOSE EGGMAN'S ROBOTS!

Sonic Colors felt like a fresh breathe of air.

Never.
I'm still salty that the games might never have actual stories to them again especially with Pontaff shitting things up.

We could use another Battle-tier plot.

>literally any other platformer series is allowed to introduce a new character or have some sort of narrative that differs from the norm; sometimes it's even encouraged that they do this
>but if Sonic does it, all hell breaks loose

best boy has best song
youtube.com/watch?v=OGLvxK-sb4k
>yfw e101 and e102's themes both start out with that soft 'wumming' noise

this is because they introduce them by the number and then forget about them, only to bring them back randomly

the issue is the lack of consistency, not simply being new characters

They dropped them because people got their collective panties in a bunch from them even existing.

I mean, yeah, being forced to play as a completely different character with a completely different playstyle isn't a good thing, but that has less to do with the character itself and more with the fact that no one at Sega said "hey, maybe we shouldn't do this."

out of all the bosses in any sonic games, hell in any video game franchise, beta has the best fucking theme

Is Omega a flicky like Gamma?

What is he powered by?

Gamma...had a life that was hard...

Hate, napalm and sarcasm.

Considering he went into sleep mode for 200 years in 06, he's a regular ass robot.

So what is the evolution of Eggman robots?

He used flickies, then used regular robots, then wisps and then back to flickies?

Pretty much.

>there are people on Cred Forums who care about stories in a Sonic game

I know there's a lot of autists on Cred Forums, but what the fuck?

I only had Heroes as a kid and only recently played adventure 1 and 2 so I never really gave a shit about the story. Gamma's story was cute though, it was the only one where I watched every cutscene.

Adventure 1 is flawed as fuck but pretty fun, adventure 2 blows solid ass.

The only people like this are the people that grew up on Sonic Adventure 2.

I never cared, the stuff involving shadow in sa2 was nice but thats it. 06 just showed how dumb shoving stories in sonic is

Introducing characters and dumping them is the RIGHT way to introduce characters. It's only when they're obligated to show up for every game after that it's a problem and people hate the cast bloat. I for one like seeing new characters as long as they aren't obligatory.

The exception is Hedgehogs. I don't care how parallel the series is with Dragonball, new Hedgehogs of new colors reeks of creative bankruptcy.

I played Sonic as a child, but I was gladly never 'into' it. Same with Kingdom Hearts. Though there was a time in my teen years where I was bordering on it.
I'm glad I managed to largely steer clear of becoming an autismo.

Objectively wrong, but I wasn't about to take someone's word for it whose only point of reference is fucking Heroes.

That's not my only point of reference, just the only game I had as a kid. I've played and beaten almost every sonic game since, and I just thought Adventure 1 was fun while I can never bring myself to even tolerate Adventure 2. I know Heroes isn't a good game.

I just think shooting and treasure huntiing were way better in SA1 and I like that you can play in whatever order you want. Classic Sonic is way better than anything 3D anyway.

SA1 felt more arcadey and the stages were always over much faster than SA2. That can be positive or negative.

As for stage order, never an issue. One playthrough and the map in SA2 is just as open. If you were done after the story was, I don't feel like you really get to weigh in on the quality. Finding all the alternate routes, going for A ranks, scouring for the powerups, SA2 had a lot of lasting value, and even if it had the annoyances of no multi-gem radar, it had nothing as bad as SA1's fishing bullshit.

I liked the method of storytelling in the classic games, where there was no dialogue and everything was conveyed visually. It was a lot more fun when you could piece together what you weren't shown and sort of make up your own story

Once the characters opened their mouths, it was a fucking disaster

With a game like SA2 the first playthrough is the most important part and it's flaccid wet shit. Saying "well you only have to play all the awful garbage once" is a shitty defense because in SA1 I never have to play it. I think both treasure hunting and shooting were worse than fishing, fishing was boring but it was easy as fuck and big's whole campaign was over in like 30 minutes while shooting and treasure hunting are complete shit that makes up 2/3s of the game.

100% this, S3&K's had a really charming "story". It was really well presented with setpieces like the death egg rising up, falling and exploding, or the part of lava reef where it's on the ceiling. The characters express to each other what they should without any words, and it's cool.

When 06 proved what a terrible idea it is.

when did shadow the hedgehog come out? As a kid i tried telling myself sonic adventure 1 and 2 were just sega trying to figure out 3D and that it'd get good eventually, after hereos and shadow i realized that was never gonna happen and stopped caring.

That's because other games actually do it well. Whenever Sonic does it, it's another anime Mickey Mouse with zero character beyond being extreme and radical or brooding and edgy. And then they tack some shitty game-changing gimmick onto the character half the time, forcing you to play through their sections before you can get to the actual normal stages.

With that context, it makes perfect sense why people who are still fans of Sonic want nobody but Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles at this point. And Eggman as the villain.

>fishing was boring but it was easy as fuck
You only fished for froggy, I see. So you even LIKED SA1 but you didn't bother to get the highest ranks? No wonder your impressions of 1 and 2 are the way they are. You barely skimmed the surface of either game. Someone looking for a more meaty game will find it in SA2, which clearly is not you.

1991. I don't think I even read the story included in the manual until about 15 years later.

sonic 3 you fucking child

Different times call for different methods. No dialogue works for 2D. If 3D Sonic featured Knuckles silently laughing and stepping on a button as its complete cutscene cinematics, you'd not get the same feel with it.

I've never cared. If a cutscene is skippable, I'll skip that shit. I just want to go fast. Thats been my MO since the first game. I have no idea how autists care about any of those shenanigans. They read the comics too and its just baffling.

How about you go fuck yourself.
>you can only judge a children's platformer if you are such an autist that you 100% it despite hating a lot of the gameplay
I'm a normal person who just decided to play SA1 and SA2. I played and completed each game and found SA1 to be more enjoyable. If, for some reason I decided I needed to 100% these very long games that I don't like very much maybe I would find SA2 easier to slog through.

The game should be judged based on what it takes to complete it, and optional content if it's good. If you are enough of a hard core 3D sonic fan to go against all sense and 100% big the cat's fucking fishing just so you can feel better than other people criticizing it by all means, go ahead.

Is someone who 100% a game more justified in complaining about its faults? I should think so, yes. And for the record, some of us didn't have a massive library of games at all points in our youth, so swallowing a bitter pill and playing a game that is unreasonably difficult or even one that isn't a shining example of excellent gameplay isn't all that unreasonable.

So yeah, pardon me if I don't take someone's opinion at the same value as someone who spent extended time with something. You are welcome to your opinion, but you're insane if you think it should be valued at the same level as someone who played it once at their cousins for a weekend.

*someone who didn't just play it once at their cousins for a weekend.

Rather.

>When did grow out
What?

You'd be right if I was trying to criticize the 100% optional shit without having played it, but just talking about the main game's quality, we are equal.

Best thing about Sonic Adventure was Gamma
music.youtube.com/watch?v=AJb5x6gWozc&feature=share