Dogshit levels/games with good atmosphere

Dogshit levels/games with good atmosphere

imagine how perfect this game would of been if it was just super mario 64 gameplay with the sunshine worlds?

what could of been

As always nintendo forces us to play with their gimmicks

Pretty terrible, actually. The levels in Sunshine were made to work around FLUDD. Wide open spaces like Sirena Beach are meant to be utilised by doing shit like spraying water on the ground in front of you and then forward sliding on it.

The saving grace of most water levels is that they have nice music

So almost any water level.

but user the levels were amazing the wiggler was fun af

You have it somewhat backwards
Sunshine has good mechanics, but the level design is absolute trash and the way progression works through the main-game is retarded.
Ice levels that have ice physics are worse, honestly

>Noki Beach
I meant Noki Bay.

It's an amazing game if you're trying to clear it.
It's a fucking awful game if you're trying to 100% complete it.

Gelato Beach is the only level in Sunshine that isn't that fun to traverse. Noki Bay and Sirena Beach, for example, are fucking amazing. Conversely, many of SM64's levels are forgettable or flat out annoying.

Getting all the blue coins is fun though.

the level design was ass

This
>Blue coins
>fun
are you an alien?

Water God Temple is a shit map

>see an interesting bird fly off
>see a beehive
>hmm I wonder what would happen if I sprayed them?
Blue coins rewarded exploration and just plain having fun with the world. Even NPCs reacted when you sprayed them with water. It was a really need way to make the world come alive.

>People say Sunshine doesn't have platforming
>Bianco Hills
>Ricco Harbor
>Noki Bay
>All the FLUDD-less platforming levels
>All the platforming areas inside levels (Pinna Park, Sirena Beach)

It's an adventure-platformer, the level design is more open-ended but literally all of the meaningful platforming mechanics from SM64 are present save for the long jump (replaced by both the hover and the side jump into dive).

This meme needs to die.

Honestly, the problem is that the levels themselves are devoid of elements which would enhance the platforming - such as enemies and static obstacles like the rolling balls or thwomps in SM64. Name one enemy in Sunshine that is placed intelligently.

>hmm I wonder what would happen if I sprayed them?
I'll take "shit nobody ever thought to themselves" for 500.

I did. Must be why I'm apparently the only one on Cred Forums who had no trouble collecting all the blue coins when I first played this.

Not him
You're right about birds, but I always fucked with the beehives
and got wrecked/ran away because I didn't have yoshi

It feels like the enemies are mostly there "because"
For example, the turtles that launch their shells are never anywhere interesting, Ricco Harbor doesn't have any enemies that do interesting things with the level design, and cataquacks literally only exist to piss you off during the watermelon mission

yep
sums it up prefectly

still can't wrap my head around the leveldesigner who had to put literal arrows into his levels so players would find the right way to the sunstar thingy

sunshine has some real comfy levels and music but why does every level has to have "secret of x" "shadow mario does something" "red coins in Y" "secret of x2"

the shine where you have to take yoshi in delfino plaza to clean off the juice and then use fludd to push the leaf and collect the red coins is one of the most frustrating in the whole game

>could of

Stupid shit.

>"shadow mario does something"
you have to beat all the shadow mario missions to access corona mountain. They're always episode 7 and honestly I think the way they handled level unlocking in this game is completely bass-ackwards.
>"secret of x" "secret of x2"
The secret levels are incredibly easy to make because it's just floating geography in a skybox. So they give every level a "secret" area as a way of giving the game 120 stars easily. This is also why Blue coins exist for the most part
>"red coins in Y"
Also really easy to develop, though it can be argued these are in the game because Mario 64 had them

Bloopers jump back and forth from the water on the lower platforms, and crawl around on the higher platforms. There are also the wind spirits which either force you to position yourself carefully or keep moving and try to dodge them. How are those not enemies that work with the platforming?

(Me)
Shadow Mario Missions are also stupidly easy to develop, as are the Pianissimo races.
The more I think about it, most levels are only really built around one or two of the missions in it, while the rest is just filler stuff they reuse in a bunch of levels.