Why can't games convey the sense of height?

Why can't games convey the sense of height?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7Vj9V_pX8yw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

you're lying

Because your screen / monitor isn't on the floor.

>Jump off a high place in video game
>Your dangus crawls up next to your kidney

you lie. i get gosse-jumps from jumping of high places in some games.

Because you play while sitting, studies show being sit can avoid height phobia

WHAT WILL HE DO NEXT?!

What games take me one step closer to the edge?

I recall Dying Light doing a pretty damn good job of it.

Because theres no depth data for your brain do interpret.

It works wonderfully in VR.

I liked Just Cause 2.

Mirror's edge gets close.
>That wet crunching when your body hits the ground.

Seriously nigger?
Fsssshhshhshhsh crash

this didn't work for me because the rooftops feel
as if they're the default height, if that makes sense. It might have worked as an open-world game, but I didn't bother with the sequel because it looked gay

only game which succeeded for me to give me a height scare was that bridge sequence in HL2

Go play Dying Light. Makes you fucking shit your pants while climbing the bridge/towers.

I think that it has something to do with the fact that games nowadays usually aren't too immersive. In order to be able to sense depth pr height in a game you'd need to forget that you live in the real world, not in the game. Most games fail to immerse not only to that point, but even to immerse to any degree at all.

Press F for don vito

I was going to say this.

I don't really know why, but I felt a bit worried when running around the taller buildings at the beginning of the second area.

>get to this part
>toes and fingers start tingling

feels good but weird

Gra?

100% serious and scientific answer

one of the """sense""" of height include fear of height, and games absolutely CANT convey fear because players are never the one who do the dying when the characters fall

oh fuck
i still don't get why this shit started like few months ago
never felt it before except irl

Minecraft oddly enough does. Jump off a tall building looking down and it gives you a little bit of that negative G feeling.

Excuse Me Sir, Do You Have a Moment to Talk About ASMR

kurwa the beginning

WHATEVER HE FUCKING WANTS Get fat.

>games absolutely CANT convey fear
Absolutely objective untrue.

>inb4 but it's not REALLY fear because semantic bullshit

Happens to me sometimes while playing 1st person GTAV and driving off a cliff side or something.

HE'S TURNING INTO PHIL

subnautica did it for me

>Falling from a building in Mirrors Edge

What kind of fear you're talking about tho
>fear of ghost and shit that may jump out of the corner and spook you
sure
>fear of death from falling, that important feeling that contributes to "sense of height" OP was talking about
no

Thats like the only game that does it for me. I think its because in other games usually is not very dangerous to jump high places, and dying light makes you wonder a lot of times if you will make it

games cant convey sense of speed either

some are better than others, but usually its just exagerrated speeds like over 300km.h that look 'fast', when driving at 150 feels slow as shiit even on a small road.
FH3 is the biggest offender of that.

Game that no one remembers called I am Alive had a stamina meeter when climbing. That was some of the most intense climbing I've experienced in a game.

Usually only happens to me if I barely miss falling from a ledge. Like barely not throwing myself to my fate triggers that "aww shit im gonna die if I fall" feeling

Because you're looking at a 2d image

youtube.com/watch?v=7Vj9V_pX8yw
write more award winning masterpieces like this hopefully

because you are viewing it from a 2D screen

Tomb Raider 2013 and Uncharted 3 were pretty great in stereoscopic 3D, and really conveyed a sense of height with all their vertical gameplay

Kek. Retatd.hate him

>games cant convey sense of speed either

they can when you are first exposed to it, but you just get used to it.