Favorite metroidvania?

Favorite metroidvania?

Are we using the interconnected area-dense definition or the "Has to be an RPG" fag definition?

Metroidvania 2: Electric Boogaloo

An Untitled Story
on masterful difficulty.
Not only favorite metroidvania but the favorite singleplayer experience i've ever had,

This filter shit is starting to get ridiculous.

Just for funsies, or to be more transparent, because I'm working on making my own right now and see this thread as an excuse to fish for more ideas while I'm at my day job, what are some things that you think every good Metroidvania game should have?

Or alternatively, what are some thing you've always wanted to see in that type of game?

Also, how important is something like to you?

I'll be taking notes.

-extremely high difficulty
-abilities like being able to speak to different types of NPCs instead of just combat stuff
-hard platforming
-mysterious, extremely vague but sensible lore (dark souls)

see:

Super bosses. They must give you a feeling of dread and must make you question yourself why you are doing this.

Decent, complex level design with an emphasis on feeling like a cohesive whole. That's the make it or break it for me.

At least one experimental gameplay mechanic to mess around with. See Circle of the Moon's card system or Aria of Sorrow's trio soul loadout system.

Mechanical-based progression over upgrade-based progression. Metroid's Blue Door/Yellow Door/Red Door system is the lamest part about it.

And as a minor gripe, for main story progression mechanics to at least be hinted at. Don't let me run into every fucking dead end in the game before I stumble across the one ability that lets me get to the others, I'm not having fun by that point.

Doesn't have to be major. Line of text. Helps if you've got a decent shortcut system that makes continuous backtracking less tedious.

Lewd thousand year old lolis. The flatter the better.

Pretty good game, but i preferred Son of Metroidvania

Harmony of despair. Multiplayer was fun as fuck.
>Hai!~
>Hai!~
>RATS
>CRAP
>RATS
>Bye now!~

Rabi-Ribi

it's not real is it? i want it

weirdness and sexiness

Thanks! I haven't heard of Untitled Story until now, but I'll be sure to check it out.

I'll keep that in mind!

>At least one experimental gameplay mechanic to mess around with. See Circle of the Moon's card system or Aria of Sorrow's trio soul loadout system.

Yeah, that was one of the first things my buddy and I started brainstorming when we started the project and figured out the setting/tone. I won't say exactly what it is because I'd hate for someone to steal our idea, but I think we've come up with solid and unique spin on a system that's similar to the ones you listed.

Once we had the basic mechanics, then we started figuring out how character and story progression would work from there.

No lolis in the current version unfortunately, but we do have a qt brown girl as our deuteragonist. If I come across a way to shoehorn them in organically though, I'll see what I can do!

Hey asshole. I said bosses make the game.

here come the ribifags with their absolute trash game that not only is weebshit but its also terrible, but LOL CUTE ANIME BUNNIE AMIRITE XDD

whats amazing is these people call it the GOTY.
how much shit taste do you have to be to not be able to play any of the better games that released this year

People who get triggered by anime don't belong on Cred Forums

Sorry, I meant to quote you but it looks like I quoted twice by accident!

And I agree with that, I really do. I have pages and pages of notes on my current boss lineup and their lore, even though most of it is just there to help me work out their designs/abilities and won't actually be in the final game. (Though I might include it in the extras or something)

There I go again with the misquotes. That's what I get for multitasking and posting on Cred Forums when I should be working!

I question how people who get triggered by anime are even able to live and function on a daily basis. They must actively avoid it like a vigilant warrior.

Cool, I wish you luck for your game!

im not triggered by anime, im triggered by shit weeb games

Have you played it? The gameplay is quite good

t.someone who has never played the game

This, it's not the best metroidvania i eer played, but it's my favorite. It feels so refreshing.

Man, some Touhou fangames look so nice.

Thanks!

It's still a long way off from being something I'd be comfortable showing off, but I'm feeling really good about it so far.

To give you a little tease, here are some of the legends that have inspired some of the boss fights we're currently working on. (Obviously not including the ones made up ones specifically for the story AND bosses related to the big end game twist)

>Camazotz
>Tah-tah-kle’-ah
>El Sombrerón
>Mothman
>La Llorona
>Wendigo
>Gowrow
>Chenoo
>El Silbon
>Jake the Alligator Man

A little taste to tide you over, and if you see a game with all of those things in it about a year or two from now then it's probably mine.

Hey, i'm currently working on a very small metroidvania.
What are some things that MAKE a metroidvania?
Do you think having transitions between rooms even if they're not needed (because the hardware can load the entire map at once) are necessary?
How important is the platforming?

see the replies to

Have part 2 and 3 been translated?

stop talking about games you havent played you fucking idiot

Thanks, I don't know how I missed that.

Monsters based on myth and legends. That sounds cool, remember to make the save room comfy!

Yes.

Where I can find those games?

Which one have the Crossbone Murasa?

Part 3.

>Touhou fangames.

Man, it's been years. Did that game with Valkyrie Profile gameplay came out?

A comfy indoor level with a cold and isolated outdoor area.

Multi-layered backgrounds with detailed ornaments.

Interesting pallet swaps/variations of enemies.
Axe armor > Dual axe-armor > Bomber-armor.

Bosses with 2 distinct phases. A transformation or a second boss joining at x health. Gaining new movesets and shuffling attacks.
A boss gauntlet a la Rondo of Blood would be welcome too.

A level which alters after an event (boss fight, levers etc.).

kayin, is that you?

Metroid 2: Return of Castlevania

I wish, Brave Earth is looking great.

I liked DoS for it's transitions between warm indoor levels to the snow-covered exterior of the castle. Especially The Demonic Guesthouse and the Dark Chapel made good use of it.

Also appreciated the soul system.