So what's the benefit of a mechanical keyboard...

So what's the benefit of a mechanical keyboard? Just got one for 30 bucks and I've yet to feel anything terribly different in gaming, but I haven't played an FPS with it yet.

shiny colors

feels good

>tfw my G15 v2 died last year
>bought a G710+ and it feels worse

G15 was best vidya keyboard ever made.

I've been wondering the same. I think the common answers would be that it depends on the sort of key you got. Some help you repeatedly tap buttons quickly, or offer a more reliable input feedback, so you feel when a key was pressed. So it depends on the kind of button you got.
The next answer would be that it helps with pressing lots of keys at the same time while still transmitting the proper input to the computer. I never noticed that as an issue with a regular keyboard, so I don't know.

>tfw my G15 v2 died last year
>mine's still going strong just about a decade later

How did it die on you?

-Feels better
-No more squish squish
-20 feels to choose from
-The clickity clack sound if ever needed
-Most can be easily cleaned
-Last forever

Don't listen to memester. $10 membrane keyboard only redeeming value is its price. And if you can afford a PC you can afford $60 keyboard

No tangible benefits, it makes a clack clack noise and "FEELS BETTER"
Some bullshit about nkro but you can buy a keyboard with 10kro for 10 dollars and there's only like 4 games that merit having both your hands on the keyboard at the same time.
They also "last longer" based on no evidence, conjecture, and the fact the IBM model M existed

Spilled a drink on it like an idiot. I have no doubt it would be working fine today if I hadn't.

>Most can be easily cleaned

Given the amount of hours I spend using my keyboard this alone was worth price of entry.

>wasting $50 because you have money
Stupid as fuck.

>using money because you have money
>stupid

On the serious note, you can't explain what's "wasting" about buying mechanical, thus you are a shitposter and here is my last (you) for you

Its a meme. I have a old compaq keyboard from decades ago that i got for barely nothing and see no reason to fork out $50-100 for one of these memeboards.

Even if i would consider i would eliminate any of the gimmik ones with leds that try to rip you off with flashy colors and Gaymur prices.

Was a mechanical keyboard cynic until I got one with blues.

It does feel a lot better to use than membranes. Though I also just found a site that sells USB versions of the Model M, and I'm highly tempted to get one for dem buckling springs.

I have a Magic eagle and it's like $30, by far the best keyboard I got yet even better than razer

>you can't explain what's "wasting" about buying mechanical
Because it costs 6x as much and has no tangible benefits, wow that was hard.

you can hold more buttons down

Was about to buy this version when I saw it listed as 75 bucks. Took it to the counter and saw it was actually 150. Someone had moved it to the spot of the RBG's lesser model, which wasn't in stock.

Fuck that shit, I didn't need a Mechanical keyboard that badly.

That's a limitation of shitty keyboards, not membrane keyboards. Most mechanical keyboards have that limitation too unless they're using ps/2 input, they just have 10kro or more so unless you have 11 fingers you won't be able to fill the buffer.

Good, Corsair's keyboards suck.

If you want a good mech board, check mechanicalkeyboards.com, since most of their stock is non-gaymur models.

You should browse Cred Forums's mechanical keyboard thread.

Mechanical keyboards are hipster bullshit which won't impact your gaming.
And you're not serious about your typing speed if all you use is dvorak anyway.
Fact is you'll spill something on your mechanical keyboard and none of the switches will ever feel the same again, $100 down the drain when you could have just bought a stack of 10x $10 keyboards and throw one out the window every time it gets a spill or dropped or whatever, it'll last longer and everything will be exactly the same.
If you want to utilize your money for input then get a proper mouse.

>if all you use is dvorak anyway.
if you don't use dvorak*

Oh boy another mechanical keyboard meme thread.

Listen you fucks there's no fucking benefit in getting a damn mechanical keyboard.

Retards are expecting to get mad skills out from them because pros use them.

Fucking stop it already.

Mechanical keyboards offer much more customization in terms of feel. They are very much a plus, especially if you do alot of typing.

>30 bucks

Where? Or used or something?

Take this shit to
Mechanical keyboard circlejerks have nothing to do with gaming.

This is a video game board retard, not a typing club.

>I need a $100 keyboard to shitpost better and feel things
Get a hooker.

>you can only use your keyboard for games and shitposting
OK then.

>More durable/longer lasting
>Keys feel better adjustable with different switches to preference
>Easier to clean
Those sound like tangible benefits to me.

Mechanical keyboards are designed for shitposting.
If you gave a fuck about gaming you would have said "keyboard thread"
at which point someone would have linked a $10 keyboard and the thread would have died.
Instead here you are, praising yourself for buying overpriced hipster trash because SWITCHES and CLACK CLACK CLACK.
Get this shit off of Cred Forums and back to Cred Forums where it belongs.

>Mechanical keyboards are designed for shitposting.
And I stopped reading right there.

You know what's easier to clean than a $100 keyboard?
You know what lasts longer than a $100 keyboard?
10 $10 keyboards which you can throw in the garbage every 3 months.

Then go to /lit/ and recommend mechanical keyboard here.

We used them to play here, not to fucking type.

They're one of the best input methods for fighting games, you can use it like a hitbox. A regular keyboard is 100% unusable since they're unreliable in comparison and drop keypresses

>he got some memeswitch like reds
>30 dollar mechanical
wew

And yet here you are, making great use of your mechanical keyboard.

What if you're playing Typing of the Dead?

A proper mechanical keyboard feels much better and sounds much better.

However, gimmicks are useless. You don't need stupid LED lights, or video player controls, volume controls, a display or anything else.

Just get a proper one like this.

Consider buying a keyboard with good drivers. If your keys are dropping then something is wrong.

Unless you can type at 100+WPM and play rhythm games, mechanical keyboards are useless.
Get one with a decent matrix and you're set for 99% of situations.

t. mechanical keyboard user

>making great use of your mechanical keyboard
I'm not using one at the moment. Keep grasping at those straws though.

"regular keyboards" have nothing to do with dropped keypresses, you can drop keypresses on any keyboard, there's over 2 dozen $10 keyboards which won't drop key presses
Also
>They're one of the best input methods for fighting games
Is a fucking retarded statement.
Top tier:
Making your own fight stick
Mid tier:
Premade fightstick
low tier:
Controller
unplayable:
Keyboard

That's like saying dear esther is considered a game.

Oh fuck user, but how can you possibly shitpost without a mechanical keyboard?
Aren't your little pussy fingers breaking for how it doesn't FEEL like $100 worth of keyboard?

Dear ester has more to do with gaming than mechanical keyboards.

>won't impact your gaming
But that's how I got better at rhythm games you fucking imbecile
Next time don't post on topics you know nothing about

Are you trying to convince yourself that you don't need one?

Buckling springs are mechanical you retard.

>spending 100+ on a keyboard for one game

You sound like the kind of idiot that buys a PS4 just for Bloodborne.

Literally none. Buy a good mouse and a generic keyboard.

user, nobody plays those types of rhytm games on here.

You can feel the keys respond when you press them. No response, the keypress wasn't detected. This is important for online games where knowing whether you actually pressed the key, and thus whether the reason your character didn't perform the action that you were trying to perform is because the keypress didn't register, or the server is just lagging, can determine whether you get blamed for the raid wipe or not.

Non-mechanical keyboards just emulate the mechanical response with springs, and in a QTE this can make you think you pressed keys that you pressed too quickly, too lightly, or a little too far to the side for it to actually register.

Maybe you got better over time by playing a lot you dumb nigger.
No, I'm trying to convince everybody who doesn't have one to save their money.
I've already fallen for one of these threads and wasted $130.
I don't own a fight stick retard, I'm just not stupid enough to spew diareah all over my $100 keyboard for long enough to say "KEYBOARDS ARE THE BEST FOR FIGHTING GAMES"
like you even have a fucking analog stick on your keyboard you dumb dog fucking hick.

I clearly do and my point still stands

>not buying ducky

That's the only reason I own a mechanical keyboard, so I know you have a point.

You are fucking retarded, I don't even know why I'm coming here when this is an average Cred Forums poster
Just kill yourself, I'm out

>Non-mechanical keyboards just emulate the mechanical response with springs
Holy shit you're so uninformed it's unbelievable.

No, you hit a ceiling with rubberdomes.

If I'm the retard why did I have to come to Cred Forums to justify why I wasted $100 on a FUCKING KEYBOARD because FEELS?
Go kill yourself, you know you want to, considering the only thing capable of making you feel anything anymore is a keyboard.

well at least your new keyboard won't fail if you spill something again

>No, you hit a ceiling with rubberdomes.
Prove it with charts and graphics or fuck off with your subjective lies back to Cred Forums

All I have is anecdotal evidence.
Have been playing since '05 on a rubberdome keyboard, couldn't improve anymore, switched to a mechanical keyboard about a year ago and now I'm about 30% faster.

>paint rubs off
thats the only reason i'm considering getting one. i don't want that rainbow shit though, i just need white leds

>All I have is anecdotal evidence.
What a god damn surprise.

Boy, are you buttflustured. You really can't figure out how much different a reliable tactile response is from an unreliable one, huh?

Okay, show me your hard evidence.

Why there are no good scissor keyboards for desktop?

Use it for a month, then try out your old keyboard. You'll be able to appreciate the difference then.

All non-buckling Mechanical keyboards have less of a tactile response because of how actuation works, there's an A(top) and a B(bottom) in a ramp and somewhere in the middle your computer is going to recognize input.
A membrane keyboard, like a buckling springs, it will either be collapsed or uncollapsed, 2 states, inbetween which is the point of actuation, giving 100% of the key's drop in tactile input the second you actuate it.
Both have a 2ms delay, once that key is actuated 2ms later you are getting input regardless of what kind of switch or mechanism drives it, it's a simple boolean switch, not something like a mouse which in an inch could have moved anywhere within 4000 pixels of it's point of origin and needs to accurately calculate the distance. Mechanical keyboards are just unnecessarily expensive keyboards which do EXACTLY what any other keyboard does.

Less actuation force and not needing to bottom out when you press a key mean that long-term it's better for your fingers and easier to successfully register a press as opposed to getting a false negative with rubber domes.

Why buy this comfy chair when you could just buy a plastic one? Either way you're getting the same thing done and a hard plastic chair is perfectly good for sitting on.

>poor people get so fucking mad when you remind them that you have more money

HAHAHAHA

How the fuck can a rubber dome give a "false negative" if it requires MORE actuation force? Do you even read the shit you shitpost?

Yes, the end result on both a rubberdome/mechanical is a key being pressed, but the keys you are pressing are completely different.

It doesn't make a huge difference, but it's still a difference, which makes mechanical keyboards superior, even if it doesn't justify the price.

Spending money just for the sake of spending is objectively stupid.

It's an overshilled meme that offers no benefits. Basically another gamer food.

Why buy a perfectly functional steelcase leap office chair for $200 when you could buy a $45000 gaming chair?
IT FEELS BETTER
CLICKITY CLACK

>but the keys you are pressing are completely different.
It's still just 2 metal contacts touching and completing a circuit.

>spilling shit on your keyboard
Let me guess, you eat greasy shit too and then immediately touch your electronics?

Please user if I sold my computer I could put a down payment on everything you own with enough left for hooker money.

get G17 then

>I'VE NEVER SPLIT ANYTHING ON MY KEYBOARD EVER
Bull
Fucking
Shit

Now you're just being retarded.

No I haven't. If I'm drinking something it's probably in a bottle. Otherwise it's in another room entirely.

If you've ever spent more than $7 on a membrane keyboard you're a retard

I use one of these along with a WMO 1.1 mouse. Never felt the need to buy new hardware or that I was being held back by my current setup.

> If I'm drinking something it's probably in a bottle.
Oh, sorry that you're white trash then, I own glasses for holding my water.

If you've ever bought a mechanical keyboard you're a retard.

There's no membrane keyboard with proper NKRO for under $9, you need to spend $10 for a proper keyboard and not a single cent more.

Enjoy having less convenient input switches faggot

>ever bought a mechanical keyboard
>ever
Underage, and not as an insult but as a statement of fact.

I am perfectly happy with the "convenience" of my "input switches" regardless of what type of keyboard I am using you hipster.

> A membrane keyboard, like a buckling springs, it will either be collapsed or uncollapsed, 2 states, inbetween which is the point of actuation, giving 100% of the key's drop in tactile input the second you actuate it.

That's how it's supposed to work. How it actually works is:

> press key
> spring clicks
> because press was slightly off center , too fast for the membrane to pick up, or combined with other keypresses that dropped the voltage across that line of sensors to zero, it doesn't register

If I press a key on my mechanical keyboard all the way down, it registers.

Downside of using a mechanical keyboard for a while: I absolutely pound on the membrane keyboards the office computers at work have.

>"How it actually works is:"
>proceeds to describe to me some shit that isn't right
I know how it works you fucking moron, stop blaming the keyboard for you being your faults, how hard is it to press keys down that you need it as a baked-in crutch on your keyboard? Seriously.

They're just extremely nice thing to use and generally of very high build quality. Yeah, a $10 keyboard will "do", but why compromise after dropping a grand or more on the rest of your PC.

>WMO 1.1

Enjoy your low ass malfunction speed and PCS.

It's a meme.

Sometimes I'm tempted to bring my own keyboard, mouse and mousepad to work.
Fuck their $1 store equipment.

you probably could have taken it apart and cleaned it / dried it out

Because that money can be spent elsewhere.
Jesus christ even LED fans are a better investment per dollar than a god damn mechanical keyboard.

That's because you don't know how great mechanical switches are because you're a poor shit
Enjoy being a cheap fuck on your already dirt cheap hobby

I have a mechanical keyboard you faggot, just because you spout off on some incoherent hipster bullshit doesn't make you right, pull your head out of your ass and stop enjoying the smell of your own farts so god damn much.

>it's a PCfat thread
Gross

There is incoherent hipster bullshit , and then there's being so cheap you cheap out on the most basic useful functionalities
Spamming memes won't help your argument

I'm sure some people can tell the difference between keyboards with certain settings/features. Spending over 100 bucks on a keyboard seems excessive to me, but whatever. To each their own.

>on the most basic useful functionalities
Yeah like $100 for CLACK CLACK CLACK
How did you survive before that? It must have been terrible.

here I've condensed the argument into a form your rotten brain understands

>that one faggot on discord who has a mechanical keyboard
KLIK-KLIK-KLIK-KLIK-KLIK-KLIK-KLIK-KLIK-KLIK-KLIK-KLIK-KLIK-KLIK-KLIK-KLIK-KLIK-KLIK-KLIK-KLIK-KLIK-KLIK-KLIK-KLIK-KLIK-KLIK-KLIK

If you're happy with everything else then what else? I don't understand people that cheap out on peripherals just because they're not absolutely crucial. Much good those sli 1080s will do you on a shitty washed out monitor with tinny speakers that you can't hear over the plastic squeaking of the keyboard.

Keys like that come with a downside, so they are only better in specific circumstances - ie, MMOs.

Theres no gain in using a membrane today, and mechanical switches without retracting from the shape of the keyboard is objectively better than non mechanical.

I'm sure everybody can tell, and regardless of how it feels they're all the same fucking thing.
This is not spending more money for something better like audio equipment or hardware, it's spending 10x as much money for something different, that performs exactly the same.

I bought a gaming keyboard due to a number of reasons. size, weight adjustment, media keys, extra macro keys all useful in a myriad of games. I do agree mkb for gaming is a meme, literally useless

What if i told you that was me

And i am doing it with a MX blue keyring i got from a tech show

> I don't understand people that cheap out on peripherals just because they're not absolutely crucial.
user I have a $150 dac and $600 headphones, I am no stranger to pissing away lots of money on something non-critical.
We're not talking about something "non-critical", we're talking about spending extra money on what is fundamentally the same shit. It is fucking stupid.
Do you go into a store, buy a banana, drop a hundred dollar bill on the register and say "keep the change"?

>objectively
Stop using that word when you don't know what it means.
OBJECTIVELY mechanical and membrane keyboards are the same fucking thing, and will perform exactly the same with even the most remedial of skill level invested in it's usage.

You're just saying that because you can't even use your low quality keyboard properly. Of course you wouldn't notice a difference.

[citation needed]

>fundamentally the same shit.

$600 headphones are fundamentally the same shit as $10 earbuds, if you can listen to the same music on both why bother spending more.

Again, I've already fallen for the mechanical meme, all I'm trying to accomplish is to keep YOU faggots from convincing other idiots like me from buying this shit just to be a cool hipster like you guys.

What's your WPM, user?

>he never fucking uses push to talk
>his mic is set at a low volume threshold instead
>so the whole channel can hear his fucking keyboard every single game
>can also constantly be heard drinking soda and eating snacks
>also forced to listen to the conversations he has with people in his house
>absolutely refuses to even try PTT because he "always forgets to push it" or some other equally dumbass excuse
>claims his mechanical keyboard helps him have higher APM and makes him improve faster
>yet is somehow always the bottom of the leaderboard and goes fucking nuclear when you point that out to him

FUCK YOU RYAN

YOU RUIN EVERY FUCKING GAME OF EVERYTHING WE PLAY WITH YOUR LOUDASS KEYBOARD

>press button
>two pieces of copper touch completing a circuit
>2ms later pc registered button was pressed

who black switch here

my fingers are getting stronger

110 regardless of keyboard
If this mattered at all you'd be using dvorak like a real man

>mfw silent mechanical keyboard

>implying any of you fat sweaty fucks can even perceive a 2ms input delay while you're bus going 0/15/3 on Bloodseeker and blame everyone else for not backing you up

Are you retarded?

You can buy a good mechanical keyboard that will last for years for $50 dollars. You will save money in the long run over buying throwaway 10 dollar keyboards.

>You can buy a good mechanical keyboard that will last for years for $50 dollars.
Citation needed.
Besides a $10 membrane keyboard can still last 3 years, so 3x5=15 years of potential value, I'm just saying with a membrane you could spill radiactive jetfuel on it and it doesn't matter because junk it and load up the next one, instead of having to spend 2 hours meticulously cleaning out every key and STILL having to deal with a permanently fucked up actuation curve.

>you can all hear the game audio loudly in the background through his mic
>barely avoids feedback looping the audio because sometimes his voice threshold clicks out for a sec and saves everyone from that bullshit
>he won't wear any goddamn headphones because he says he needs to hear for shit like the pizza guy at the door
>even after he says brb pizza, you can still hear him on mic
>even after he's eaten an entire fucking pizza by himself, he still has his headphones off
>he has memester youtube videos for children( like markiplier, pewdiepie, or yogscast) playing in the background
goddamn user do we play with the same fucking guy?
i mean not really since his name isn't ryan but what you described is the same shit my group puts up with
i don't even know whose fucking friend he is
he's somebody's friend but I don't wanna be the guy who asks who the fuck invited him

Oh no, user, I fucking know this guy. He acts like we're friends, but doesn't get that I don't talk to him outside of games because I hate him so fucking much, and during those games I'm regularly telling him to stop being a gross, loud fucker and just play the game. I'm one of only like five people who still play games with him, and that's only because I get dragged into games with him by a mutual friend.

Best of luck in your situation, user.

>user why do you use push to talk? it's outdated shit, the voice recognition works fine these days :)))
No, fuck you. I prefer being able to do anything without having to worry about the noise levels. Bonus points if the same guy also makes a fuckload of background noise like you described, and it happens all too often as well. I just don't understand, it's way nicer to everyone involved.

granted I do occasionally press the key just to belch over the mic because I can, I keep it rare though

real talk now. mechs are kind of a meme. nkro is nice to have yes and a hard facts feature.

aside from that it's very subjective, but at least with the switch types you know pretty much exactly how the keys are going to feel. as they are very consistent. unlike rubberdomes - different keyboards feel different. some better, some worse.

however i don't like most of the cherry mx switches and i tried them all. they only one that's good is mx clear and those are rare.

and don't let anyone tell you that mechanical keyboards are more reliable or will last longer than rubberdomes either. mechanicals are much more complicated in construction and keys can become faulty. look up 'key chattering' or 'debounce' if you don't know the terms. if you have this issue on your mechanical keyboard it isn't always easily fixable, depending on it's construction (backplate or not, etc.) soldering work might be necessary, but isn't guaranteed to be succesful as it might be a firmware issue.

good rubberdomes can last 10 years easily as well.

I'll fart over mic on a lark once in a while (especially if the timing is good), but I still use PTT because I'm considerate of my friends.

there are also other issues that can occur with stabilizers and keys not resetting properly. costar stabiliers for example need lubing, or they might squeak and rattle.

but hey, if once of your keys starts to chatter at least it is fixable, right? it might require you to desolder every key, but a broken rubberdome? probably going to have to throw out the whole thing.

Depends how good you are at soldering.