Is this Nintendo's big three right now?

Is this Nintendo's big three right now?

>see filename

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Cv6Zc01QTsg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No, it's Mario, Zelda and Pokemon

>Pokemon doesn't count
Yes it does. They have ownership of it and its one of their flagship series'.

If not being in-house is enough to disqualify the series you might as well not consider Kirby or Fire Emblem Nintendo IPs.

>Pokémon doesn't count
You're right. Same goes for Kirby, I think.
Pokémon's decisions come from GameFreak/TPCi

>They have ownership of it

Partial ownership. It would be like saying Banjo-Kazooie is a Nintendo game back in the N64 days.

Also, Pokemon Go, one of the franchise's biggest hits in recent memory, had nothing to do with Nintendo. Same with the anime. It's a franchise whose reach branches beyond Nintendo, which is why I don't count it. It's in its own league.

Yes pokemon does count

Does Monster Hunter count then? It's practically exclusive and beats the living shit out of fucking Kirby.

Of course not. Monster Hunter is even farther away from Nintendo's hands than Kirby because MH is from Capcom.

Its not Metroid, that's for sure.

But they hate Sony's guts and they're Nintendo's only real competitor.

Never was.

Pokemon is controlled by The Pokemon Company, which is a three-way partnership between Creatures, Gamefreak and Nintendo.

Nintendo has the most control over the IP out of the three, and Creatures' history is so heavily tied to Nintendo that it might as well be considered an informal subsidiary like Intelligent Systems is.

It's a totally different relationship than the Rare partnership.

It's not even partly owned by Nintendo. Capcom can decide one day to stop releasing MH on Nintendo systems, and there's nothing Nintendo can do about it.

Donkey Kong

>But they hate Sony's guts
???
Capcom loves fucking Sony.
Their latest games have all been on Sony platforms.

The weird thing is, I think Nintendo owns an unknown part of both Creatures and Gamefreak, which makes the whole thing really hard to understand.

Capcom loves PlayStation dipshit

Wrong, its:

Zelda Pokemon Fire Emblem

It's Pokémon.

Replace animal crossing with fire emblem. fire emblem is a big series now thanks to awakening.

MH team hates Sony. And MH team has Capcom by the balls.

and? Capcom could force them to make PS4 games if they wanted.

How does the MH team hate Sony?
Frontier G is now on PS4, the best selling MH game to date is still Portable 3rd for PSP.

OP is a fag

Fire Emblem fans getting bucked up just because they finally have a game or two that sold over a million.

And if Sony hadn't pissed them off so much they might've gotten something for the Vita or PS4.

Not really. They can't even get them to cameo in their shitty crossover fighters.

>censorship

Fire Emblem is dead, and #FE just pissed on its grave.

Sony didn't do shit to piss them off.
As soon as Nintendo's contract with Capcom expires, they are free to do whatever they want. That includes making MonHun exclusive to Sony or whatever.

Awakening was only the beginning of hell.

>inb4 b-b-but user Fire Emblem is selling more than it ever has before

Fire Emblem is fourth.

Animal Crossing has been getting a ton of attention from Nintendo in the past few years. Since New Leaf, we've had Villager in Smash Bros., Isabelle and Villager in Mario Kart 8, two spin-off games, a ton of amiibo figures (second biggest amiibo line under Smash), hundreds of amiibo cards, and New Leaf is getting a major update in December. In addition, it's a major seller for Nintendo, with New Leaf being one of the highest-selling 3DS games. Nintendo clearly puts a lot of emphasis on it and considers it one of its biggest franchises.

Their contract has nothing to do with exclusivity and Sony pissed them the fuck off with their trophy bullshit. Maybe you weren't around for it?

source for all of this? just seems like speculation.

Ah yes, the "contract"

The one that apparently was supposed to end last year.

and the year before that.

PS4 is getting a MH game, Frontier Z. Before that, PS3 had Frontier G. So did Vita.

What's the story?

There is no trophy bullshit, I know what you're talking about Portable 3rd and PS3.

Portable 3rd for PS3 is literally a PSP iso ran through a PSP emulator. There's no way to implement trophy support unless capcom remade the game to support PS3 instead of using emulation.

Pokemon might as well count because they own all the characters (i.e. the Pokemon). GF and TPC technically own themselves and can make what they want, but it'd be pretty difficult to make a Pokemon game without the Pokemon.

However, yes, in terms of their wholly (or near wholly) properties those are the biggest in OP image, AC is nuts in Japan particularly.

>mid-90s saw love and attention given to Donkey Kong
>early-mid 2000s saw love and attention given to Metroid
>2010s are currently seeing love and attention given to Fire Emblem
What will be next?

>lazy devs can't make stupid trophies that take like a week to implement
>would rather develop 240p games in 2016

good riddance.

Also, it still used Adhoc.

Do you have that picture of Kaz giving the producer the award for best-selling PSP game? Because he didn't even bother hiding his rage, I've never seen anyone so angry and I've hunted Rajang.

So, once again, Capcom were lazy bitches.

No wonder they went to Wii and 3DS, the shittiest systems ever made.

replace zelda with amiibo and then yes

>Capcom were lazy bitches.

Sony was stupid bitches.
Its as dumb as the reason Microsoft wont accept video games for their system if not released at the same time or released first on their system.

Trophies are dumb and unnessary

this is true.

the main reason portable 3rd never got localized is not because of trophies but because an updated version of adhoc party was needed to play online. it was only available in japan. capcom was not only too lazy to make a proper PS3 port but also didn't want to pay for servers out of their own pocket.

then came nintendo who offered them publishing in europe, online servers, and advertising. it's a no brainer why capcom went with nintendo to save money.

Sony didn't do anything regarding Monster Hunter, Capcom was incompetent and a bunch of cheap asses.

Amiibo isnt a game you spastic

Sony losing MH over such trivial bullshit is the single dumbest business move in video game history. It cost them the entire handheld market.

I just don't get it, despite MH saving the PSP they just didn't put any value in it whatsoever while Nintendo recognized its potential.

Yes, just take a look at the current amiibos.

AC is a huge success in Japan and a good reason as to why Nintendo shoves Isabella in everything they do.

Trophies are easy as fuck to make, sorry if the devs can't handle making a modern video game.

But that's the devs problem.

Even shitty indie devs can implement trophies.

It's not like Nintendo owns Monster Hunter now. Capcom can put it on whatever platform they choose. Right now they choose 3DS because it has bigger install base than Vita and it gives them an excuse to rehash models from the PSP games, not including the incentives like publishing and online servers that Nintendo already threw on the table for them.

When Tri came out on Wii, Portable 3rd came out on PSP a year later. They don't give a shit about exclusivity. They just see what's the most profitable at the time.

>It cost them the entire handheld market.
???

Vita lost to 3DS because of overpriced proprietary memory cards and 3DS was easily hackable with flash carts for years now.

Vita lost to 3DS because the killer app MH became a 3DS exclusive.

Until Pokemon can show up on a PS4, yeah, Pokemon counts retard.

The Monster Hunter guy is the son of Capcom's president
He does whatever he wants, and he hates sony.

Vita was already selling like shit before MH was released or even announced for 3DS.

>No, Pokemon doesn't count
Yes, it does and you are a faggot.

>he hates sony
>yet releases a monster hunter game for PS4 and vita

Wasnt 3G released at the same time as the vita? Or pretty close to it

PSP was selling like shit before MH was released too.

Frontier doesnt count you idiot

IS (this)? (Single subject)
ARE (these)? (Plural subject)

Vita came out in Japan a week after 3G but preorder numbers for Vita were still hilariously low leading up to the release.

>b-but this game doesn't count!
it's still a fucking monster hunter game. is the son's president not in charge or what?

Big Three is one single subject containing 3 items

Pokemon absolutely counts, so no, what you posted is not "Nintendo's Big Three".

Nintendo's Big three is Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon.

Big three is used as a singular entity dumbass, like trinity

Whatever you say, boss man. ;)

>le sony pissed off the monster hunter team meme

this has been paraded around here for years now, who came up with this obvious lie?

>no smash

Yeah, they're completely different teams
Why do you think frontier is so creatively brankrupt that they still use the gen 2 engine?

It'd be the surprise of the generation if sony somehow managed to get a main series MH on their systems, and manage to get it localized as well

No, is autism, amiibos and shit games

Hard to prove without the picture which you conveniently disregard.

Doesn't Nintendo own all the Pokemon? Not GF and TPC but the actual Pokemon designs?

>hates sony's guts
>sfv is ps4 exclusive
are you even trying

>t. sonypony

Yeah, Zelda needs to get the boot and get replaced with Smash.

In case anyone doubts AC staying:
New Leaf has still sold more than the 3DS or Wii versions of Smash individually. When combined with the fact that AC is released more often than Smash and HHD surpassed 3 mil on its own, they're near equals. Pretty impressive. Not to mention the upcoming mobile game equals guaranteed DLC bux

Mario needs no defense really.

Nintendo's big six:

Pokemon
Mario
Zelda
Monster Hunter
AC
2D Platformers (Kirby, Donkey Kong, Yoshi etc.)

There's just no way to compete with this.

Don't forget the new update to NL adding splatoon villagers and a reason for NL players to buy amiibo cards.

>Monster Hunter
>Nintendo
>games for PC, Xbox 360, PS3, iOS, Android, and Vita in the last three years

Pokemon does count tho

Top 5 is like probably
pokemon
mario
zelda
animal crossing
splatoon (not even kidding, it might be huge going forward, like nearly 5m sales or some shit)

i didn't want to count stuff like smash or m kart. they have other stuff that movie a few million, but not like the above listed. still that's really impressive for one publisher.

Pokemon

Yeah, Splatoon is a legitimate monster. It's almost outsold Smash on Wii U despite coming out later. A sequel could do better on the right system at the right time.

Any other unexpected smash hits on the WiiU? I know Mario Kart almost outsold the rest of the library combined.

Splatoon was the only smash hit on Wii U.

Bayonetta, Xenoblade, and IPs that are not Mario or Zelda sold like garbage.

The top tier sellers are limited to basically Kart, Smash, the Mario platformers (Maker, 3D World, Bros. U, Luigi U, etc.), and Nintendo Land (it was bundled so obviously). I'm glad Yoshi's Wooly World did over 1 mil, though.

To be fair Mario Kart sold a shit ton because they've been bundling it with the console for years now.

Pokemon, Kirby, and FE would all survive if Ninty went under, so I think that's enough reason to say that they could be considered something else.

Mario Kart isnt a surprise. Wii is one of the best selling games ever. It's always been a juggernaut

It's almost outsold Smash on Wii U
>being surprised
3DS smash carries the majority of 4's sales

Can't wait to see those 3DS numbers for Yoshi. If anyone dares to pick it up after the DS and 3DS Island games.

Pretty shocking to me. The idea of a spinoff like Kart outselling a main game like Super Mario World only shows how far mario has fallen from being on top of the ladder.

Did Xenoblade do badly? All I can find is >Vgcharts which has it at 840k which is pretty good for a niche game.
Of course, I don't know what its budget was either.

I remember when people on Cred Forums were saying that Splatoon would sell 200k copies tops and would be a huge blunder.

The online community is still bustling to this day. I could play right now and immediately get several matches without any waiting.

Nintendo basically created Creatures, and used them so that Gamefreak couldn't just up and run with the franchise if someone decided to buyout Gamefreak.

Smash Bros on 3DS was a mistake.

Crows and/or dicks

Sounds like some gangsta shit

Xenoblade X was in development since 2011 and it's probably Monolith Soft's most ambitious title to date. 800k worldwide isn't exactly a good number. Especially when Bayonetta 2 an even bigger niche game sold 1 million.

Probably was cause of all that yakuza nonsense and how they like to muscle themselves into shit from time to time

You also gotta remember that Xenoblade X is a Japanese game, and is made and budgeted on Japanese numbers. Outside of very few games, most Japanese games don't spend $100 million on marketing and an extra $10 million on their Voice Actors who live in Commieforna.

Since Nintendo only cares about smartphones now that leaves:

>Mario
>Pokemon
>Animal Crossing
>Fire Emblem

It wouldn't surprise me to see a mobile Zelda soon to take advantage of BotW, though.

Gotta protect your interests user.

What?

>niche
Bayonetta was one of the most hyped games of the year and sold like 2m between the Xbox and Playstation.

Mario Kart is their biggest system seller. Unless you erroneously lump it under the Mario umbrella.

Smash Wii U is only even worth buying for competitive play.

But you also have to remember AAA game development is expensive not including marketing and voice actor costs. A game the scope of Xenoblade is no cheap task to make. For a heavily focused Japanese game, it sold the worst in Japan compared to Europe or America. I'm pretty sure they still made a profit off the game but not as much as they were expecting.

The guy who said he'd eat a bag of crows and dicks if Splatoon sold more than 200k or so.

Kek. Sheikah Slate mobile.

Bayonetta 1 sold about 1.5 million to date and even then Platinum said themselves that they weren't happy about the sales.

No, he's right. Takahashi, himself talked about working on it and it was middling title and not AAA.

>I imagine a large part of the appeal is in this being the first open-world RPG from Japan. I also think it's really meaningful that this is a middle tier title, rather than a AAA title. The Xenoblade series has always had a different genre for each game, with the previous game being fantasy, and now turning to science fiction.

I think you misunderstand the gravity of the situation. It's an impressive feat for any new IP regardless of Smash 3DS' existence. Wii U has a tiny install base and Splatoon was not released on 3DS, thus capping its potential severely. Smash 3DS sold about 2X its console version, which makes Splatoon 1/3 of Smash across two systems. Is that not impressive?

To put it into perspective, MORE than 1 in every 3 Wii U owners has Splatoon without counting digital sales. That attach rate is comparable to Melee for the GameCube, if not better.

Also, Melee launched near the beginning of the Cube whereas Splatoon launched near the end of Wii U.

1.5m sales is not niche at all, especially a brand new IP. Platinum's expectations doesn't matter at all. Square Enix wasn't happy with like 4m sales at the time of Womb Raider, that doesn't make it niche.

Yeah, Squeenix was just dissatisfied because they blew their financial load on it. Bayonetta, I suspect, did better relative to its own cost.

Why would Animal Crossing count? If anything, Fire Emblem should be on there instead of AC, since apparently Pokemon doesn't count.

The Pokemon IP is owned by The Pokemon Company, which is 33.3% owned by Nintendo, 33.3% owned by Gamefreak and 33.3% owned by Creatures, Inc.

youtu.be/Cv6Zc01QTsg

How about because one Animal Crossing outsold all 16 Fire Emblem games combined (and then some)?

Mainline Animal Crossing games sell like gangbusters. It's way bigger than Fire Emblem.

Nintendo owns all the actual Pokemon characters. Even if they don't own "Pokemon" they have control over it.

Aside from 2 games, FE sold like shit. AC has done incredibly well every game.

This
>Pokemon is made by Gamefreak
It's still a property of Nintendo

They really need to add something to the mainline Animal Crossing games. It's a fun series, but since they're so similar to each other with hardly any changes, I'm hardly ever excited for future installments.

I haven't bought a pokemon game since ruby.

The pokemon are too weird now.

Why can't they just look like gen 1 again?

Delete your post

Mario kart tends to be bundled with some consoles like nintendo land or wii sports. That helps a lot with sales.

A Final Fantasy fan once posted that once you play one Zelda game you've played them all. So I'd like ask you what you think. What do you think user?

I agree to an extent, but what else can they add before it becomes Sim City or something? Maybe the ability to interact with objects in your house more meaningfully? Like actually playing with the pool table

I think those people just played only OoT and MM, then made a conclusion that every Zelda game is alike.

I too have stopped playing it at gen 3, tried gen 4 and didn't finish it, but are you sure you haven't just grown out of it?
I mean, it makes sense that you'd like the designs from the one you've played right?
I'm always asking myself the same fucking question, so now I guess I'm asking you.

you

I've always been annoyed at the limited supply of furniture that's for sale in the games. Far too often I'll try to look for something and eventually lose patience, and even hours of time traveling won't get me all the furniture items for me to get my house to look the way I want. With how heavily New Leaf was centered around that aspect, it sure was tedious.

>once you play one Zelda game you've played them all

That is really simplifying it. The series has had tons of variation.