The rogue/assassin class holds their daggers like swords

>the rogue/assassin class holds their daggers like swords

Why is this so common? It's simply disgusting and it kills the badass factor of using daggers and being a stealthy assassin.

there's nothing badass about being a criminal user.
stay in school.

Depends on the fighting style and type of dagger. Holding slicing daggers backwards is fucking stupid. The only time holding them backwards would help in any way is a downward stab with a spike-shaped dagger, and even after that you'll get much more use from a spike dagger holding it properly.

Plus the "le dark mysterious shadow rogue holding daggers backwards" is edgy/cringey as fuck and is only used by middle schoolers that just discovered Naruto.

I hate how a lot of games where they have an assassin class actually punish you for using daggers as your primary weapon.

backwards weapon holding is the dumbest shit

T. Person who hasn't taken knife fighting classes

What do you mean? Icepick grip saber grip? Both were and are used both in historical and modern knife fighting systems, with the same weapon often being able to be used in both manners.

Name two(2){II} games that do this

>badass

Daggers look better when held blade downward, I agree, but if you account for practicability, it's better to fight with the blade upward. It is especially better for blocking.

>badass factor
Gearbox pls go.

>i have unironically taken knife fighting classes

>not holding off hand blade with the reverse grip and primary hand with the proper grip

This, the only real advantage to holding the daggers upside down is being able to trust down fast.

It's very popular among eastern european skinhead groups, even among children.

>badass factor

I bet you think guns are cooler held sideways as well, the tool is simply not designed to be used in the fantasy way you imagine. Sorry dude.

>Knowing things that I don't is bad.

Hey don't go around bitching about people knowing things that you don't care about.

>>not holding off hand blade with the reverse grip and primary hand with the proper grip

Only for tomahawk and knife.

For an assassin they should have only one knife.

The only advantage to holding daggers backwards is more power on a downward stab.

But if you attempt a downward stab in a fight you're retarded, since it's much easier to block than a thrusting stab.

Basically, you're retarded.

>This, the only real advantage to holding the daggers upside down is being able to trust down fast.

An assassin character that makes sense would only have one knife and use the other hand for grappling or covering the mouth.

i think everyone is not accounting for backstabs in which case being able to dig in can be better.

>FE Awakening assassin class holds the sword backwards
>has to do an awkward full body twirl to slash with the blade
>Witcher 3 has Eskel use reverse grip when fighting the Wild Hunt
>gets his ass kicked immediately

Worst way to hold a sword in fiction

joke's on you, i've taken katana classes
your puny knife is no match for my authentic japanese katana

Hard to get enough force holding the blades upside down, it's all about thrust force. You can't get your body weight behind an upside down dagger.

In general, counting on your opponent being stupid enough to leave his back open isn't a good fighting strategy.

If you happen to get an opening, it should be easy enough to flip the knife over in your hand before stabbing.

>>the rogue/assassin class holds their daggers like swords

Rogue/assassin

>wearing heavy armour
>clinking everywhere you go
>fancy shit with gold and gems on it that only a lord would be able to afford
>spikes all over that would get in the way of movement
>try crawling through a culvert or bushes wearing that
>wearing bright red for maximum visibility
>carrying a pair of giant, glowing, shiny swords that you could use to signal to a landing aircraft
>nobody will notice you

And you're complaining about how they are holding the giant, paddle sized "knifes"?

but rogues are all stealthy bullshit which would mean holding them backwards is more inclined to their position

Bear in mind that in fantasy settings like WoW, rogues can literally turn invisible.

Being inconspicuous might not be as large of a concern if no one can see you regardless.

>Hard to get enough force holding the blades upside down, it's all about thrust force. You can't get your body weight behind an upside down dagger.

Look at the ridiculous armour they are wearing, the size of the weapons, the glowing shit. There is no consistency in the size, weight, force or any other thing.

It's all fantasy trash. Those weapons would be able to pierce anything as long as the gay story demands it.

Can't get your body weight into it that way, thrusting is the way to go, even at the back.
Where are you even going to stab him in the back? Upper back? You're going to pierce his shoulder blades?

>In general, counting on your opponent being stupid enough to leave his back open isn't a good fighting strategy.

It's fantasy trash. Half the people fighting would turn their back to the enemy 10 times in a fight so they can do a dumb spinning move, and do it without and bad consequences.

Oh, you meant backstabbing by taking the enemy by surprise?

If you have the element of surprise AND can approach from behind the enemy, the best option is to cover their mouth with one hand and slit their throat with your knife in the other, not just jabbing the knife into their back.

Sure, if it's all fantasy trash then why are we even having this thread; do whatever you want.

>never gotten into a choreographed knife fight/dance with another gang
it's like you want to stay a virgin

>Bear in mind that in fantasy settings like WoW, rogues can literally turn invisible.

If they can just turn invisible then how are they cool? They don't need any skill. Anyone could murder anyone if they could turn invisible.

If I could turn invisible I could infiltrate the Pentagon, and I have no business trying to infiltrate anything.

I'm not OP, I never claimed they were cool.

I was just attempting to justify the logic of assassin characters wearing large, brightly-colored metal armor and wielding flaming, glowing weapons.

>playing rogue/assassin at all

>Sure, if it's all fantasy trash then why are we even having this thread

Exactly. Why are you having this thread.

All that is happening is people are trying to apply reason to something that was conceived in the absence of it, or comparing their horrible taste with everyone else's horrible taste.

Like said, it actually depends on the type of dagger and how you're using it.

I'm just saying, Elijah Wood looks good in a fedora.

>In general, counting on your opponent being stupid enough to leave his back open

I assume if you're using a knife, you're stabbing them in their sleep. Actually fighting someone with a knife is stupid.

for a downward stab, perhaps to the back area of an unsuspecting enemy

Colossal faggot

>slit their throat

Wrong, you stab them through the lung in the back so that they can't scream for help. You'd be amazed how much they can still attempt to scream with a slit through.

you're only going to be able to hit upper back with any force, you think you can pierce a shoulderblade with only downward force? you're way better of sticking the blade up through his ribs into his lungs.

It's Elijah Wood, he looks good in most things.

>Colossal faggot

How do you ensure your knife doesn't just bury itself in the back of a rib? Practice?

The back of the ribcage seems too low to stab under it and angle up into the lung.

Master says hi

Why do you keep assuming they're gonna aim for the shoulder blade. If they're behind them the the neck area will be wide open and more of a logical area to stab. Not everyone is as stupid as you.

That horrific red halloween costume with enormous spikes jutting out and glowing green shit everywhere ruins the "stealthy assassin" thing way more than the dagger stance.

Are there any MMOs with the standard warrior/rogue/hunter kind of classes, but with completely believable and practical armors/weapons and such?

So epic. So badass. Truly the only way to fight. So cool.

The advantage of holding the knife backwards is that it makes it easier to conceal since the blade will be obscured by your forearm while your hands are down.

That's all.

You all are seedy scum of the underworld, everyone knows the only correct path is the Righteous one.

Good luck trying to "backstab" thru iron plates, knave.

Actually...
that's the thing, Daggers are very effective vs heavy armor as they can get in the chinks.

However, I agree with your statement. Paladin/Cleric or gtfo