Pillars of Eternity

why does this game get hate by Cred Forums?

Asspain over Josh Sawyer as far as i can tell.

Personally I think he is entirely reasonable purely in terms of what he chooses to put in games. What he says in his personal life is a different story.

7/10 game far as I'm concerned.

I got bored

because it's a lot of rancid ideas baked into a flavorless nostalgia crust

Isn't this the game that had a joke about tranny faggots that got removed after tranny faggots complained? Fuck it.

One of the most stupendous art styles in recent vidya history wrapped in a thoroughly mediocre game.

still waiting for game of the blah blah aio version

The guy that originally made the joke, as in, someone who doesn't work at obsi, wanted to change it himself because of the backlash. Not the devs.

Anyway back on topic people don't like the donor NPCs because they were all written by doners and that shit's cringey as fuck. Also they balanced a lot of shit from the older RPGs so you can make broken characters any more.

can't* can't make broken characters anymore. I swear I need to get a new keyboard.

Really stupid health system.

>why does this game get hate by Cred Forums?
Because Cred Forums is contrarian as fuck, literally no other reason. The game was a huge financial and reputational success for Obsidian and got overwhelmingly positive reviews everywhere, including Steam, so Cred Forums thinks it's cool to hate it.

it's dreadfully boring
I tried to get into it multiple times with a different mindset each time and I couldn't further than halfway into act 2

Yeah, they let the guy rewrite another poem I believe so he wrote about people getting buttmad

Combat favors fighters way too much

I prefer the mage-favored combat systems that baldurs gate, icewind dale, and nwn have

It is a homage to infinity engine games made by people who very clearly revile the infinity engine. It squanders basically everything they had going for them. Its not a bad game but it does nothing particularly memorable or special; its most interesting feature is simply being an rpg with muskets.

I kind of liked it, but it never quite clicked. Can't really put my finger on why. Maybe it's nostalgia goggles? I played BG when I was 13, BG2 when I was 16, and fucking loved them both. I just didn't enjoy PoE as much, and I don't think it's because I'm a jaded old fuck as I still manage to enjoy other games, but ehh, I don't know.

>The guy that originally made the joke, as in, someone who doesn't work at obsi, wanted to change it himself because of the backlash. Not the devs.

nah, the devs pressured him to let them change it and he said okay and tried to replace it with something passive-aggressive but he botched it

Except I heard the devs wanted to keep it in and the backer changed it himself. Do you have proof? I'm not trying to be a dick; I'm just trying to find what actually happened.

Its definitely not nostalgia, its simply not as well put together as any IE game and pandering to nostalgia can only get you so far. Its also simply impossible to recapture the lightning in a bottle that lead to the creation of games like BG2 and Torment, they are fucking anomalies in the first place.

>Except I heard
>Do you have proof?
Not, him, but how about you prove that the devs wanted to keep it, you obnoxious chucklefuck?

terrible enemies
sloppy story
bland npc
mediocre items
not much convo voiced or non voiced
enemy pathing is terrible so tanks and melee get trapped
no replay value
cloth wearers too weak to damage
lore isn't interesting

I don't have proof either you dumbshit. That's why I'm trying to be nice about it.

Shit story (literally the first draft because the dev was running out of money and rushed the game). Boring and extremely repetitive/tedious gameplay
""""balance""""

>pandering to nostalgia can only get you so far
So "pandering to nostalgia" acn lead to universal acclaim and financial success? Stop acting like your opinion represents the overall reception of the game, you fucking shit-eating mongoloid. If you want to showcase your shit taste and say that the game is shit, do it, but don't pretend you're speaking for anyone else but your retarded self.

This. I cant wait for Tyranny to get released.

>It is a homage to infinity engine games made by people who very clearly revile the infinity engine

I might give it a try, then, given that the infinity engine is ass.

>I don't have proof either you dumbshit.
So you're just spewing verbal diarrhea out of your mouth and everything you say can be disregarded? Got it.

Basically the whole thing exploded for no fucking reason because the joke was about a dude getting drunk and sleeping with another dude, had nothing to do with transsexuals whatsoever.

Devs promised to change it (Sawyer himself, in fact) to much outrage by the community, doubly so since the change was on false pretenses. A week later the dude who wrote the joke comes out on some forum and proclaims it was all his idea (which isn't really believable considering Sawyer had already stated he was set on changing it) and it was replaced.

You mean just like the other guy? Fucking retard. I didn't start it to argue, I started it to find out what actually happened. If there's proof on EITHER side I'd be happy. Why don't you go die in a fire and stop trying to start shit

You're awfully upset. I didn't even say the game is bad. It is just not as good as what it is copying and the truth is no game that sets out from the outset to emulate another game is ever going to be. Its decent for what it is but I don't really think anyone will be talking about it 16 years from now like people still do about BG2 or Torment, either.

Cool. Thanks for clearing that up user.

>What he says in his personal life is a different story.
josh sawyer is bland, boring and humorless and so is pillars of eternity
coincidence?

Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 are terrible, overrated games and every RPGCodexer should have their face skinned, their arms cut off and held down while their throat is cut with a rusty boxcutter.

What's wrong with Baldur's gate

it raped anons mom i think

>I didn't even say the game is bad.
I don't care about your shit opinion, it's irrelevant. I care about retards like you trying to act like their shit opinion represents the overall reception of the game.

codex hates RTWP games and BG

>Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 are terrible, overrated games
Bg1 is an overrated game.
BG2 is an overrated RPG.

There's a difference.

We're in a thread to discuss why the game is negatively spoken of user. Kindly get fucked.

Are you the same retard spouting the MUH STEAM REVIEWS in every god damn PoE thread? I swear I've seen you shilling this stupid shit every time people talk about it. For fucks sake dude.

That's why BG2 is on the 4th place of their list of best RPGs ever?

Reminder, that Cred Forums actually knows more about RPGs than the 'Dex.

PoE showed how fucking abysmally tedious and unenjoyable Real Time With Pause gameplay is in the modern age. They didn't even have a fucking companion script, so you were pausing every second to issue orders to your whole team ANYWAY.

Basically, PoE would've been more fun if it had just refused to pander to BioWare nostalgia and gone fully Turn-Based like Divinity OS, Shadowrun and Underrail have done. RTwP is rancid when you have a lead dev who insists on making every single class be Busy, which meant your whole party needed constant micro or it wouldn't perform optimally. But, then again, once I got high enough level, you could basically stop worrying about clicking on anybody who wasn't your Psionicist (fuck i forgot the name of that class) or your Druid (that little furry gnome shat out AoE damage while your multiple-personality wizard stood there with his dick in his hand wishing he was that useful)

Thanks for reminding me about that video.

Wasn't there a thread a while back about trying to mod in turn-based combat?

>Underrail
My nigger.

>We're in a thread to discuss why the game is negatively spoken of user.
Again, you dumb shit-eater, I don't care about that, I care about obnoxious mongoloids like you writing dumb shit like "herp derp I think the game is shit because doing X can only get you so far".

how is pausing whenever you feel like it more tedious than pausing every single turn?

This game looks interesting.. like fallout mixed with shadowrun

ok

good for you i guess

Consider the amount of effort it takes to tell your squishy mage to run away from that beastie that is attacking it in one compared to the other.

It's more like Wasteland 2 with heavy crafting (which you can ignore, but why would you?). Very good, but not easy.

>PoE showed how fucking abysmally tedious and unenjoyable Real Time With Pause gameplay is in the modern age.

Shut up, retard, there's nothing inherently wrong with RTwP. In fact, 7.62 High Caliber has proven without a shadow of doubt, that a well made RTwP system shits on any sort of TB system when it comes to tactical depth.

I like PoE combat and have thoroughly enjoyed it, but it does have flaws. However, these flaws are not inherent to the system, they are the fault of those who designed this particular system.

havent played poe in a while cause it's boring as fuck but I much prefer baldurs gate where you can let your party destroy trash mobs without having to pause, and pausing to micromanage difficult battles than having to spend ages in a turn system for every battle

>that video
I used to think I could handle anything, but fuck, that was too much.

I don't even care if he was a child rapist. No human being should ever have to experience that amount of pain.

Fuck that other guy. I fucking hate pieces of shit like him.

Hey dipshits, PoE has AI battle scripts now.

You expect /vtards to actually play the games they shit on? LMAO.

Most people played the game on release you mongoloid

>Most people played the game on release
Most """"""people"""""" ITT are spouting dank memes about how bad PoE is without even having played it, mongoloid.

So? The complaint is no longer applicable to the game.

poe is nowhere near popular enough to have people shitting on it who havent played it
i've finished the game and i think it's mediocre and boring

I didn't need to play No Man's Sky to know it was shit, same with Pillars of Eternity.

this was what stopped me from playing it any further. The writing was kind of dull, too. I was looking forward to this since I thought Chris was going to do most of the writing, but I guess that's not what happened?

Divinity OS is really, really bad. Bad story and horrible art design. If you want to play a Divinity game, play the first one.

And Underrail is interesting, but there is no story at all.

He did the writing for one NPC (Grieving Mother, or whatever her name was) and a few side areas. Other than that, it was basically trading on his name for most of the game.

From what I understand he did have some stuff cut from the game, but never did that much.I'm under the impression they just wanted his name on the project because they know he's the guy at obsidian everyone knows is quality. Nobody even knows most of the other dudes names.

>poe is nowhere near popular enough to have people shitting on it who havent played it

This your first time visiting the board, friendo?

It just wasn't very good. The story was really terrible, and the AI was garbage for the enemies and non-existent for your party until it was finally added in a later patch. For a game like this, where you really need to be engaged in the world and the story to enjoy it, there needs to be a higher focus on the writing. Aesthetically, the game looks very nice, character creation was not bad at all, and there's enough variety in the items and weapon types to make that aspect enjoyable - But after 10 or so hours of playing, you really just don't want to turn the game back on again because nothing really happens..

>Underrail is interesting, but there is no story at all
>implying
Lore is excellent, the story is Fallout 1 tier-only there to be a driving force.

>It's more like Wasteland 2
Underrail is nothing like wasteland in any aspect whatsoever.

The base game is just really boring and dull. The expansions are good though.

Bad PR by the devs
It was a good game, I really had to get into it and put max difficulty tho

>It was a good game
>I really had to get into it

This is sort of how I felt as well. Some days I just couldn't enjoy the game because I almost had to force myself to get 'involved' with it - But when I did, the game was amusing.

I just finished the full game I also felt like White March was a more focused and better experience. Considering that Tyranny is supposed to be shorter than PoE that kinda makes me hopeful.