Ok debate time: VR. Is it worth shelling out over $500...

Ok debate time: VR. Is it worth shelling out over $500? Is this a platform developers will support and work on for years to come? Or will it go the way of the handheld gaming systemsite like the PSP or Playstation Vita?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lskpNmUl8yQ
imgur.com/zxeQBmD
digitalspy.com/gaming/feature/a799244/best-playstation-vr-games/
youtube.com/watch?v=QuRrqP6c6Xc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No.
No.
Yes.

>Is it worth shelling out over $500?

If you can spare them, sure.

>Is this a platform developers will support and work on for years to come?

Uncertain at this point.

>Or will it go the way of the handheld gaming systemsite like the PSP or Playstation Vita?

Unlikely. I know this is Cred Forums but you need to remember VR isn't a purely gaming platform. There's always going to be a use for it.

I know there are many more uses for it. I meant just as a gaming platform will it become obsolete and die.

Only PSVR is worth it dues to the games and even then, it need to be compatible on PC, officially or not, otherwise fuck no none of this is worth it. AND EVEN THEN you should use it on a PS4Pro.

>will it go the way of the handheld gaming systemsite like the PSP or Playstation Vita?

Very likely, since none of the game made for VR are normalfag stuff. AR stuffs are already far ahead VR techs since Pokemon Go.

VR is never going to catch one. It's literally never going to be a thing.

Even now that some VR headgear is already out, it's proving itself a massive failure.

Putting out a single dime for this (once again) failed technology is a dumb move.

OP here. How would you say it's proved a failure already? I have the low end of the spectrum, with a GearVR and I personally think it's pretty fucking cool

Because of the all-important factor of actual development.

It does not matter what we think of it, as long as developers don't see any real profit in it. Now, granted, that could happen when someone makes a real time/money investment into making some actual software, but thus far we're off to a slow start.

And in the tech world, things that start off this slowly usually don't pick up much.

to add to this user: I'm throwing in the price argument too. 500 freedombucks/bongs at a BASE level is too prohibitively expensive for the average consumer.

inb4: "lol u poor"

That's true, but I work amongst a bunch of people who definitely aren't and they're holding back.

Being "cool" isn't enough. Real things need to happens and develop with this tech, and not just memes games, and not even just videogames, as much as we hate it.

Like for example Japan is actually getting actual 4k TV broadcasting and VR video channels, that's not exclusively about gaming but about more popular things. And yet despite this it's not clear VR will really take off. So what about the rest of the world who isn't getting shit? No fucking chances, even limited to videogames it would take something like a VR exclusive COD game at the very least, as well as movies and shows compatible or made for VR for the tech to takes off.

Ignore everyone in this thread, they're teenagers who have no idea what they're talking about.

I have Rift and Vive.

Depends if $500 is a lot of money to you, and how much of an enthusiast you are.

I generally recommend people wait until Gen2 or Gen3 unless they're wealthy or just can't wait.

Yes. VR is the future.

>Or will it go the way of the handheld gaming systemsite like the PSP or Playstation Vita?
VR is the future.

The people who think its a fad that's going to die are the same kinds of idiots who said the internet was a useless gimmick.

youtube.com/watch?v=lskpNmUl8yQ

VR will become a part of everyones every day life, just like computers and internet have.

It's still in it's infancy, but it's pretty mind blowingly awesome.

I love how in 10 years you're going to be using VR nearly every day, and you'll remember back to how stupid you were... or maybe you'll think "b-b-b-b-but it sucked back then.... i was still right!"

imgur.com/zxeQBmD

Of course it's expensive. It's enthusiast only Generation 1 hardware.

Within a decade it's going to be full room-scale VR using your phone and a headset or something like that, and it's going to be 10x better than a Vive is now.

Actually it's the SONY that will make VR great.
They have big AAA publishers on board.
Vive and Oculus did not succeed because that was pc dedicated VR and we all are aware that pc is irrelevant trash therefore there was no way it would make impact.
digitalspy.com/gaming/feature/a799244/best-playstation-vr-games/

No, not with the current line up of titles.

That depends on how quickly they can make the technology affordable to the masses and practical for your average joe. There needs to be several big hits to generate more interest in the medium as well.

Possible if the price remains way out of reach for a long period of time and no interesting system sellers are released.

>No, not with the current line up of titles.

I'd argue against this.

I've had way more fun in VR than I've had in the past 10 years of gaming.

I've spent like 30 hours in the last week playing tabble tennis with strangers, and its fucking amazing.

I'm not the sort of person who likes AAA singleplayer games that are long for the sake of being long though.

Seated/standing experiences are utter shit. Room scale is where VR gets incredible.

VR will take off no matter what. It's like saying "its _____ website that will make the internet take off!"... No, it's an incredible platform that has almost endless uses across all fields from gaming, to medicine, to military training, to tourism. It's taking off no matter what.

PSVR might make that happen a tiny bit faster, but probably not. All the giant companies (Google/Microsoft/Apple/etc) are investing huge amounts of money into this... it's already happening.

The thing thats really going to make it take off is when there's mobile VR that's has perfectly tracked roomscale via inside-out tracking, with tracked controllers, and is as good as the Vive.

I've had some fun fucking around with H3VR and a dozen other titles, but none really scratched my itch.

I still play on my monitor more and squeeze a few rounds down the range every now and then when H3VR receives a new update.

I might change my tune when a proper meaty atmospheric game is released. For example an RPG equivalent of gothic or good horror title.

>calling a HMD, a camera and a some controllers VR
I told you in the last 4 threads, are you some kind of robot or something?

If you like technology, and have the cash. Fuck yes.
I have no idea. I hope so. I think it will depend a lot on the PSVR
PSP and Vita failing is because of other handhelds being more attractive. So comparing it would be saying that the Rift will fail because the Vive is the more attractive product for the consumer. And something like this will probably happen if VR catches on, unless the hardware devs stop with the console war bullshit.

Gen 1 is for enthusiasts. Everyone else should wait for Gen 2 VR.

For me, it's multiplayer experiences that really WOW me.

Paddle Up, Rec Room and Onward are my go-to games now.

Can't wait for more multiplayer experiences.

I think Rec Room is a nice glimpse into what the future of VR is going to be like. You'll join lobbies and just chat to people, make friends, party up... then maybe go watch a movie together... or play a game together.... or paint some pictures... or design a game..... all in a completely seamless experience.

I think Gen2 will still be pretty enthusiast.

Gen3 or 4 is when its really going to be a viable product for a wider audience.

I know the instinct is to hate PSVR because it's associated with consoles, but it really is so important to the future if VR.

I love the vive but the problem with both it and the oculus is that their price is too much for wide consumer success and the game are shitty little tech demos for the most part

For the first time, Sony's anal as fuck certification process will benefit something. People will have mid-range but still quite good VR experiences that are having a standard of quality enforced by a closed system.

And if they ever allow PC support then it will be a great I purchase for just about anyone

my internet sucks and I live in bumfuck nowhere as far as latency is concerned.

AltspaceVR, battledome, RecRoom, RetroArcadeNeon,bigscreen were all cool though.

I'd probably spend the most time on bigscreen watching shit or lanning it up with other people if my internet was decent.

/thread

Also PSVR will be where most proper games will be for the time being. I mean I know they are small "experiences" but the consumer will see it as the only way to get COD, Battlefront, Resident Evil and Batman in VR and that will be a huge benefit for VR initially

I bought a Rift and I'm glad I did. I'm not gonna try to convince you how cool it is because you'll call me a shill anyways.
One of the best purchases I've made.

Sorry to hear it, that sucks. The only singleplayer experience that keeps me coming back is Longbow in The Lab.

Naaaaaa, as i said;
This isn't something that can fail.

>ive never used a vive
your brain genuinely believes you're in another reality, how is that not VR?

>Longbow in The Lab.
I can't believe how fun such a simple game can be. I absolutely love it.

He's just gonna throw the
>strap monitors to your face and call it VR
argument, despite never trying one. That's why discussing it here is usually a waste of time.

A regular screen running a simulator is virtual reality faggot.
tried all, and kept my dk2 because i barely use it for races.
>playing a teleporter 3rd person puzzle platformer with a HMD
Kek, if you bought a vive, you fell for "its ready for cosumers" meme.
Unless they dont use pentile displays because samsung makes them cheap, and being dual 1080p, twice as the PSBLUR, HMD's are like the earler gen with dual 1280x1024 displays interpolated.

Followed everything up until the last sentence. Wtf did you mean to say?

It's the same as any other new technology, the first few generations are for enthusiasts and aren't recommended for the average consumer.

I love how you're obviously a shill and won't be able to directly deny this. Have you ever really immersed yourself in a game? Do you understand how superficial shear bodily presence is compared to what experiences are already possible?

Biggest issue with it is that as of right now you need good hardware to run it... Considering that half of the users on steam are still running 4 - 8 gigs of ram proves that VR is not ready for mass markets...

Not to mention its uncomfortable after a few hours of gameplay, and a lot of developers still haven't properly supported it for their games.

Oh and did I mention you have to shell out 500 USD (That's 700 Canadian where I live) I mean I could buy a GTX 1080 with that cash.

>pentile displays VS full RGB stripe
the Dk1, Dk2, Cv1 and the vive all use a pentile display made by samsung, they are cheap as fuck, used in the note's series, the cv1 was "overclocked" to reach the 90hz required, and its a 1440p screen (2160x1440)
Sony uses a full strip RGB display made by them, it has better image quality, and the arrange of colors is the same for all, in pentile, dark backgrounds with red stuff looks like shit for example, and when you stare at something in both the cv1 and the vive, you start to see that, the "screen door effect" wich is seing the pixel arrange.
But, the sony display is a 1080p, wich lower the resolution, and can reach 120hz.
So both are shit, the vive and the cv1 because of the shit pentile, and the sony because the lower res.
With one you see the pixels, with the other is a blurry mess.

The older HMD's were a single tiny 1280x1024 screen, and using mirrors and some shit it split in 2 with inrerpolation, even those had more pixel density than the new ones, because it was tiny as shit, instead of covering 90°+ of view.

So, unless they increase the resolution, its not worth yet to really spend more than a few hours on a race on the weekends.

As someone who has waited for VR since he was a kid I was super hyped when Oculus was announced, and pre-ordered the day it came out. I don't regret my decision since I money throw away, but the nausea is the real deal. I can't go more than an hour without my entire body feeling like shit. I don't even think it's a latency issue at this point but a brain issue getting conflicting signals with your inner ear and what you actually experience moving in VR. Luckily some people are working on some tech to fix that but might be a long time into the future, if at all. Playing "safe" without moving the head tracking too much in these games that could be amazing experiences feels bad, man.

The second issue I'm sure everyone here as heard being developers just on the hype train trying to make a quick buck with their overpriced shitty trashware and tech demos. Although everyone that has followed VR even a little bit has known this for months.

The third issue I have is with Oculus itself not releasing motion controls with the system. Even though they should be coming out this year not releasing them on launch was just dumb. Almost every game I have played so far has had me thinking "Oh man what if I could actually reach over there and throw that thing and interact with stuff". You might say well m-muh immersion and you might be right but I really do think it completes the experience.

Basically if it is killing you inside to try out and you have the money I would just say go for it but just know it isn't a perfect product. Once they release a better screen and actual games you can play without inducing vomiting I think it will be big. But now, fuck no. If you just are slightly curious wait until next gen.

Jesus christ sorry for the blog post. But at least I can be with my VR waifu now.

I hate to say this but VR will most likely sell after the PsVR is out. Its the only way lots of normies will buy a device that they wouldn't use if it were PC only. At the moment Vr is pretty niche. If a popular console push people to buy a headset, then it will sell.
Of course this will annoy Cred Forums but its like how games sell better on console.

For me depends of the game im playing, most are with vorpx.
i can't finnish the execution sequence in skyrim, and even skipping it, i cant play for more than a few minutes before starting to really feel like shit.
But on other games had no issue, even shit like FEAR or crysis or STALKER.

I want CoD VR

That's because the Oculus sucks and tons of VR games are made by retards who think you can just make a normal game and put VR in it. Have you tried the Vive yet? Motion controls have a lot more potential. No matter how "used to it" you are, moving your head in-game without you moving your real head will always be nauseating.

I've actually played the new Doom in VR and its pretty cool. You can aim using the mouse like normal and use the head tracking to make really fine adjustments to your aiming. It takes some getting used to but if you take the time to learn it feels just like steering a car and is pretty amazing.

No, it's not worth it.

VR games are gimmicks at this point.

Give it at least 5 years.

When they're good enough they will replace screens. Scientific fact.

If you need to turn 180 degrees how is this accomplished?

Nope I am waiting for someone to get it to demo but everyone I know are normies with gf's that would literally kill them for spending so much money on a toy. Waiting for Oculus Touch to come out, if that sucks AND by some slim chance some decent games are out by then I will probably just sell of Oculus and get a Vive. Or maybe just wait for next gen because my apartment is small as shit anyways.

8GB Ram are enough to run VR according to one quick google search...

So we will all turn into autistic vegetables deprived of awareness and human contact?

Guys, found oculus rift on Amazon for $250

Should I buy it?

I want to invest in PSVR so I can play RE7. I'm just afraid this initial version of psvr won't really take off until the second gen.

probably worth waiting for next gen versions im sure theyll be announcing them soon

You slowly turn your mouse and your head in the direction you want to turn, turn a little bit more than you need and once you're done move your head back into a neutral position. For me this is the best way to prevent instant projectile vomiting. Like another user most vorpx games are just VR slapped into games not originally made for it.

Seems legit

>like another user said*
Christ, its 7AM and I still haven't slept and its showing.

But if everyone does this there will be no 2nd gen

Its probably has hotglue stains all over it from all the waifu loving. Would not buy.

A fair test, if you have 2 screens is to create custom resolutions of 960x1080, and try to run the game in surround with 2 screens at that resolution.
Its the closes you will get to try from nothing.
In games with no separated controls, you use both the mouse and the head as view.
In arma2, you can configure the head separated from the body, and there it could become an issue if you dont have quick keys to fix that.
You can even lean using the roll axis.

If you're playing an fps mp is the reaction time turning fast enough to react to?

The main thing stopping me from making the plunge and getting one is I'm worried I'll get motion sick.

Make sure you don't got a toaster or try Sony's solution

Anything you can do on a normal pc I would arguably say VR would it better with practice. It's hard to explain but it feels like you can "see" a lot better, I mean like your awareness of your surroundings. If you don't move your head and just use your mouse its nothing different than a normal game. It's just a monitor strapped to your face.

It would depend on the game as well, some might give you better control than others I'm sure. Also I don't think you could hop into quake and outkill people, but then again someone could come along and prove me wrong very easily I'm sure. Hell people have beaten dark souls with a Guitar Hero controller so anything's possible.

youtube.com/watch?v=QuRrqP6c6Xc

Something to give you an idea of what VR shooters are like.

What do you want to play?
Anything with a cockpit is the best as a safe place to start, project cars or assetto corsa have native support cant remember wich one, its a static place surrounded and comfy. then you can use shit like vorpx to try other games.
As i said, for me it depends of the engine, even now i still cant stant skyrim more than a minute, but could play a 4 hour race.

Also, as funny as it sounds, go outside, but before, google where they could have one to "prove it a little" or a place wich let you "test it" to see if it works, and go with empty stomach and hope that time is enough to tell, at least you will know if the HMD it self makes you feel bad.

>A fair test

Thanks fampai, will see results once i get home.

Yes, absolutely. The first stage has already happened with smart phones and face book.