4k thread

Will 4k be the standard for video games by next year?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BztWf34sVXI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

2019 probably.

I wonder if they are going to pull another "HD Ready" on us and abandon 4k for 8k or something within a year.

Consoles can't even do 1080 well, even with the PS4 pro and the Hank Scorpio. PC also doesn't really show any signs of 4k becoming standard.

sadly it wil for 2018, people are too fucking autistic that they will think is necessary, i've read comments on youtube already saying that 1080p looks blurry

In what year will non-shitty games become the standard?

I'm curious if devs are actually going to make good looking games with this.
Most can't even get their games to run with 60 fps.

gaming? no

tv? yes

>4k tv standard next gear
tv is isnt 1080 for fuck sake

It's 1080

1080i

kek

But seriously, movies on netflix/bluray, etc are 1080p.

sure, but thats not tv

I'm thinking about buying a 4k TV soon. Other than refresh rate and input lag, is there anything else I have to look out for? How much Hz should the refresh rate be? 1000+?

tv is dying and netflix is taking over.

Just like text in Dead Rising 1 was unreadable except on HD tvs, text in Dead Rising 4 will be unreadable unless you have a 4K tv

They will, there will always be another great next thing that you have to pay a ton of fucking money for.

lol no
only 40% of steam users can do 1080p or higher

from what all i've read, japan wants to transmit the olympic games from tokyo 2020 in 4k

2017's expected to be the big "Inflection Point" where it becomes affordable for people to pick up UHD HDR and most of the old gen HD TV's will be on their last legs anyway. Especially old gen Plasmas.

its 37% you nigger

absolutely no

the resolution craze will go slower and slower for the simple reason that we, the humans and the apartments and houses we live in do not change with the technology

I'll be sitting the same distance away from my TV in the same room in 5 years and probably in 10 years.

I can't keep increasing TV size ad infinitum.

And if I don't increase TV size, then what's the point? At some point you won't see the difference between 4k and whatever else if you stay at the "normal" size TV

No, because 4K monitors and TVs are still too expensive for the average consumer.

We literally just reached the point in the past couple of years where 1080p became cheap.

We reached that point with 4K already, it's barely noticeable right now from a TV, going for more would be pointless.

I would say 4K is noticeable, but only at 40" upwards really.

Either way, what'll come after 4k? And after that?

Who will be able to tell the difference without needing a 140" TV?

No, obviously. The Xbox1 and PS4 can't even handle 30 fps at 1080p or lower on most titles. Most modern gaming PC's aren't strong enough for 4k, and very few people actually own or can afford 4k tvs.

But I see lots of 40" 4k TVs between 600 and 800€. That's a decent price considering Full HD TVs were about as expensive a few years ago.

The human eye can only see a maximum of 5K and 300FPS according to scientific testing using top level fighter pilots to measure reaction times and clarity. 8K will be a gimmick because there's no difference from 5K upwards.

1080P has been cheap since 2008 you nigger

For TVs its already a thing. For gaming? No. Once Microshaft and soggy drop the ball with all the dank memes they are spouting the stupidity of their customer base will shine through and they will make bank, or it will crash and burn. Im hoping for the crash.

The japs know where its at. Those delicious female athletes butts in 4K.

You know this is why.

The human eye doesn't see in "fps"

I have a 40" 4K TV and even though I think Netflix 4K looks amazing, I would have a hard time telling the difference between a 4K movie and a 1080p one.

In games it shows a lot from close because of the jaggies. But it's hard to tell the difference between really high resolutions and good AA.

Are you from a fucking third world country?

Yes it does, and those experiments are completely correct.

stop being fucking autistic you know what he means

I'm from a third world country and my 4K TV was like $400, pretty cheap if you ask me.

A starter 4K TV costs like 700€ here

I'll agree that is not crazy expensive, but it's almost twice of what non-4k TVs of the same type and size cost.

And for what benefit, really?
Yes if your TV is gigantic, then it might be worth it.

I have that TV, or at least that series of TV. It's really rad. But I don't necessarily see 4k being industry standard, and definitely not for videogames. Even though my girlfriend and I (REEEEE FUCKING NORMIE GET OUT) bought the thing, and it gets a lot of use (we're cine-faggots), I still consider it a luxury. I think most people who just want a TV would consider it way too expensive, and then add in a machine that can actually do 4k60fps (i.e. a well-specced PC), and you're getting into enthusiast territory. So, not standard.

>4k the standard

Fuck no. Games can't even run 1080p 60 FPS. PS Pro will be upscale bullshit. But idiots and casuals will eat the shit devs shovel them and think it's actually 1080p 60 FPS because they don't know any better. 4K won't be an actual thing for at least another 5 years as far as gaming goes.

yea
but its still too much for the average consumer

How is the sound? I'm considering buying this one but I can't find any legit info on that.

>this post

No, but upscaling to 4K and marketing that as if it's the same as actual 4K probably will be.

this is different because the amount of data you need for an 8k video is too much for our storage/internet.

we're talking 100-200 GB for a single movie.

I work in video slots and there's a huge push for everything to be in 4K. We're usually behind the curve because our customers are old, so I expect 4K will be normal in games very soon.

I love how 1080p isn't even fully a standard yet but companies jump at 4K instead of focusing on higher framerates.

no

>4k
>60 fps minimum
>standard

You're going to need Titan X in SLI for that.

Lovely.

Make sure it's RGB, not RGBW. otherwise you're effectively missing a bug chunk of horzontal pixels

Nope. They might become lie HD TVs and phase in in a couple of years after they become affordable.

4k won't be the standard for anything in 4 years, let alone next year.

youtube.com/watch?v=BztWf34sVXI
apparently titanfall 2 can run on 4k 60 fps on a titan x but its probably because its source engine?

4K will never be a standard unless ISPs back off on data caps.

When PS360 started the 'HD Generation', we didn't have 1080p standard BEFORE it ended. We STILL don't have 1080p standard. Expect sub native 4k through 2025, but I do expect PS5/Scorpio 2.0 to have a lot more near 4k/4k support.

No. Consoles can't even keep 30fps at 1080p.

How on earth are they going to handle 4k?

>He doesn't have 6 10 TB HDs to go along with his 1 TB SSD for anime/movie/music storage.

Fucking pleb.

Alright tough guy.

it annoys me so much

the benefits of 4k
>sharper image

the negatives
>power of 2 more expensive per frame
>requires a lot of video memory
>games that require rendering a scene multiple times will choke
>modern consoles cant render in 4k native so you have to upscale so its still going to look blurry
>slightly more expensive in price then a 1080p monitor

Honestly

Its a niche product

The best case scenario would be people leaving it as a niche product you upgrade your rig to get the benefit of

But because its a thing they can sell

Sony is gona push to make it the new standard

And its going to hurt gaming

Low res textures on 4k look like shit

And upscaling from low res to 4k looks worse since what used to be a couple pixels being stretched becomes multiple pixels per pixel of the raw output

thats what they said about blu ray, and dvd before that, and music before that, and images before that

>Game has replay system
>4k patch
>replays now take up gigs of space on hard drive

wew image quality so sharp you could poke my eye out

>anime
disgusting.

I was talking about something like an optical disc like blu rays though.

No it's not.

I was referring to consoles since nobody outside of neckbeards on Cred Forums and /r/pcmasterrace actually give a shit about PC.

Not him, but the biggest issue with this is our ISPs.

With more people moving to stream delivery, the poor infrastructure and artificial data caps ISPs are pushing for in greed make 4k standard a total pipe dream for the stream focused consumers.

>be poor
>datacap on internet
>cheap console model with small hard drive
>4k update
>suddenly a movie is 60gig
>suddenly updates for games are 100s of gigs
>1 patch hits data cap and hard drive limit
>cant play any games

Titan XP can run a good amount of games at 4k 60 fps. It can run Witcher 3 at that with a few settings turned down.

no, not even close

>physical copies

disgusting.

Not even your 1070 can do 4K.

So fuck it.

>standard for video games by next year
>niche technology for some turbonerds
>next year

yes, fucking masterricers are downplaying ps4 pro now, but by next time this year everyone is going to saying how 4khdr isn't a meme with volta

4k is very noticeable on games especially if we're talking no AA, but it's certainly not worth the nearly four fold increase in performance demand.

Having both 4k/60hz and 1080/144hz displays the increased framerate is far more noticeable and beneficial while 4k has some serious diminishing returns for the investment.