tonydixob.tumblr.com
rockpapershotgun.com/2016/09/29/interview-messhof-on-nidhogg-2/
youtube.com/watch?v=y-lwVdOyjj0
youtu.be/TaOocHXMhlU
store.steampowered.com/app/337350/
youtube.com/watch?v=ODmqS5C7jIQ
nhentai.net/g/150938/
pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299
gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidDAngelo/20140625/219383/Breaking_the_NES_for_Shovel_Knight.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So wacky lmao

The developer realized making wacky Youtuber bait was more profitable.

looks like something you'd see on SNES

>tumblr nose

>WUAAAA!! WHY ISNT IT EDGY?!

Simpsons thread?

>I prefer the old design cause muh simple muh art style
>I prefer Super Mario Bros to Mario World cause muh simple art style

More like, why is it so ugly?

but this looks edgier than the older game

How do simple pixel backgrounds and colors end up looking better and more polished than the shit in the OP?

What the fuck is this. Why

This has to be fake. I'm going to check anons, be back in 5

>old design
>really solid looking game with sharp motions and a serious tone set with a wacky ending

>new design
>WACKY HAHAHA WACKY! WASN'T THE NIDHOG BIT AT THE END WACKY?!

theres a thing called balance.

>I prefer wacky cartoons and twitch bait

I don't even blame them for wanting to switch up the art style, but those characters are horrendous.

>Cred Forums: hurf durf grafix dun matter!!!!!!
>this thread happens
This board is pathetic.

This is the fault of Youtubers. Developers know if they make something wacky and lol random in aesthetic and gameplay Youtubers will give them free advertising and money.

youtu.be/bs8W4hIvTlY

Back. Its real. Rev up that Sudoku

This thread is complaining about the art style not graphics. art design =/= graphics

>artstyle is the same thing as graphics
bait

>update the graphix
>game looks like shit

nice job proving our point.
The aesthetics are the problem fag a lag

>asynchronous blinking

The dev is trying so, so hard to be wacky enough to attract the Youtubers

Raw graphical fidelity isn't important.
Having a good artstyle is.
It's why games like Katamari and Paper Mario: TTYD hold up so well visually while Half Life 1 looks incredibly dated; the art styles are timeless.

>I prefer the old Nidhogg because the simple art style complimented the focus on sword play, but I don't care the developer is trying to sell out for LP money.

>I prefer Super Mario Bros to Mario World cause the world map was a mistake and adding more power ups broke the gameplay, but I'd sooner replay World over SMB because SMB DX spoilt me.
Fixed.

it looks like something i'd see on 2010 newgrounds.

>Nidhogg
>HURRR DOSE GRAFFIKS ARE SHITT DURRR INDIE PIXEL SHIT HURRHURHURDURR
>Nidhogg 2
>DURRR WHY GRAFIXS ARE GOOD NOW GIBE ME BACK MY PIXEL SHIT DURRRRR
Fuck this place.

We're saying the original which was literally pixel shit stick figures was better because of superior art direction and tone you mong.

the more complex you make something, the more chances you make to fuck up

Wtf is this youtuber meme

Literally NOBODY ever complained about the graphics in Nidhogg.

This is, without a doubt, the ugliest game I have ever seen.

It's literally sesame Street for edgy tweens.

amazing
two wild contradicting baits in the same habitat.

Seriously, this is probably the best example I have ever seen of how an increase in graphical power doesn't translate to a better-looking game

I don't think anyone complaininged about the original nidhogg. In fact i think Cred Forums barely noticed it existed.

Try again friend. Summer is over btw

>different anonymous uses having different opinions after a couple years

You're right.

Because you can actually tell what's going on.
The best parts of the best levels were just black backgrounds because the game is so-fast-paced you can't afford a visual clusterfuck like smash bros.

Meanwhile, if Nidhogg was released today, you people would bitch about the pixels.

I thought 2 looked stupid at first, but after seeing it in motion, I think it works as a "silly ultraviolence" game.

At any rate, no one played Nidhogg for the graphics. It was all about the intense sword fights.

>that image
>superior art direction and tone

Kys, i can literally make that in gamemaker in 3 seconds

>this strawman

What? These graphics aren't remotely good. These characters look fucking disgusting and unappealing.

>He doesn't know youtube culture.
Spotted the baby boomer.

Any change that I don't like is because of Youtuber LPs, obviously.

It reminds me kind of the old earth worm Jim or Ren and stimpy games...which were good, but incredibly different.

You've never heard of Youtuber Bait before? Shit like Goat Simulator and whatnot? Youtubers, the popular ones especially, will always play through the wackiest and most lol random games because their audience is underage and eats that shit up. So developers have started making more and more wacky games to get this money.

Wait what are you fucking with me is this Nidhogg 2?

Wow, this looks like hot garbage. I wouldn't mind a detailed art style, but this is just bad.

That aside, I wonder what they plan to add to the game to make a sequel even necessary. More verticality? Other weapons?

no, no you couldnt

>AUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH
The screaming is a downgrade

And stop talking in absolutes.
There are a shit ton of people that thought nid hog 1 was cool, it wasn't enough of a game really to become popular but it was novel.

>Kys, i can literally make that in gamemaker in 3 seconds
That doesn't change the fact it is infinitely superior to what's being demonstrated for 2

No. No we wouldn't. Well, one or two shitposter would say LMAO PIXEL SHIT and then be ignored, because largely Nidhogg looked slick

What is with the baito shill force out today? No way these indie devs have the funds to pay astroturfers, so why all the shitposting

And the first Nidhogg was never a "silly ultraviolence" game you mouth breather

Are you fucking kidding me

>create sprite
>select paint brush
>pick one solid color
>draw a stick figure

>More effort equals more appeal
Shitpost elsewhere

Even reddit can do better.

I'm not going to lie niddhogg is probably my favorite multiplayer game in the past 5 years, me and my friends played it religiously for several months hunched over one laptop with bouts going up to 30 minutes long, making full use of every last mechanic the game had to offer from roll kicks to wall runs.

But this looks just terrible, I can't even tell what's going on it's all just sensory overload, I don't have anywhere near the ADHD to play this.
All they had to do was add more maps or a map editor, now I'm stuck playing the castle map in nidhogg forever.

Some people work better with limitations

A neat indie title about fencing is now hurr durr so randum.

Just kill me. This game should have been left with no sequel. Or if you were going to make a sequel, keep everything the same and bring in new weapon types.

I repeat, this is REAL
youtu.be/bs8W4hIvTlY

Dev Twitter and everything

They failed to understand that the original game has a tone of somber life or death combat. That's what made the funny moments, and to a lesser part the worm, memorable.

Nidhogg was goofy as shit.

>Fight your rival for a chance to be eaten by a giant worm because reasons

Since you've been to reddit what do they think? Tell me this isn't flying over there.

>tfw people will never ever stop using "BUT VEE TOLD ME X BEFORE AND NOW VEE TELL ME Y"
>tfw people using it to troll and genuine mongoloids are indistiguishable

>hurr durr so randum.

Thats how the first one was tard, hurr durr look I got eaten by a giant worm for no reason

even in smash you can't. i was really good at the original smash and melee, but the massive amount of particle effects in every attack and the very detailed backgrounds really makes me lose track of what the fuck is happening when you're playing with anything more than two people.

This is literally pretentious.

They don't like it either.

Dark humor is not pretentious.

That was just the victory screen. The rest was about the nuanced and intricate combat

The first Nidhogg didn't have googly eyes, asynchronous blinking, wacky faces, obnoxious voices, and all the other shit that makes this sequel shit. The gameplay of the first was not wacky or ultraviolent at all.

>if Nidhogg was released today, you people would bitch about the pixels.
It's not 30 years old you fucking moron, nobody complained about the graphics and indie pixeltrash was already a common theme by it's launch.
>It was all about the intense sword fights.
Yeah, and that's ruined now because the game is a visual clusterfuck, and it was already hard enough to see what was going on in nidhogg on any map that didn't have a black background without 3d renders of naked simpsons running around in a cell shaded multilayer background

They hate it.

>dark humor

I guarantee you are putting more thought into the meaning behind Nidhogg than the developer did.

>YouTube culture
*vomits

You can cry all you want but it's true. Funny shit happening in the face of stony seriousness is great. Wacky bullshit on top of wacky bullshit not so much.

>Yeah, and that's ruined now because the game is a visual clusterfuck
Is this your first video game? Do you have trouble seeing with your old man eyes?

OP here, I actually first found news about Nidhogg 2 from reddit, and every single comment mentioned how hideous the art style is.

Why are Cred Forums talking about a game that is utter shit unless you have IRL friends who are also willing to play vidya at your house?

>The gameplay of the first was not wacky
So isn't this
>ultraviolent at all.
This has the same level of violence

>Game where the difference of 2 pixels height of the sword means victory or loss
>perfectly aesthetic backgrounds that fit the theme of lonely warriors fighting in the wilderness for the right to die
>Screaming puppets made by a third grader in his after school game dev class? Much better. Let's add red blood everywhere and make spoopy Orcs Must Die dungeons

This is literally duck game 2.0, shitty meme YouTube bait that be forgotten in a month by its demographic of autistic children

Dunno man, I liked the noses, gave them some smugness. This game should definitely have multiple player characters instead. No one character will be perfect.

That's what I'm saying, this is effectively smash wiiu with 8 people, even if there's some sort of underlying skill you'll never be able to figure it out because you can't tell what the fuck is going on.

Apparently! They failed to understand their creation and now the sequel is not getting well received.

>So isn't this
So you're either blind or trying to be a contrarian faggot

>Do you have trouble seeing with your old man eyes?
Apparently I do, considering I can't tell what the fuck is going on in any of the footage.

The gameplay isn't wacky, the art style is

GRAFIX ARE SHIT IN BOTH
WE ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT ARTSTYLE

>Hey guys let's play 8-player smash
>please n-OKAY LETS DO THIS

And then it's 5 minutes of continuous explosion noises.

>autistic yelling while slamming your body down against your opponent

That's wacky gameplay

The animation looks alright but I'm not sure how Atari tier pixel art translates to retarded Simpsons characters

Why Homer Simpson though?

Homer Simpson + Earthworm Jim + Gangbeasts.

Well, the gameplay looks mostly the same... but I honestly can't tell my friends to play this with me because they'll think I'm a faggot. Nobody will ever buy a game that looks like this.

I can only assume Cred Forums is defending the new artstyle because most people dislike it, as demonstrated by the like:dislike ratio.

Cred Forums always has the urge to be contrarian

No wacky gameplay is if they swing their swords around randomly

Like 1/4th of this thread is defending this shit, sure there are contrarians but they keep the balance of this place from turning into a circlejerk hivemind like reddit.

somebody made a nidhogg clone?

>the gameplay isn't wacky
>here's an example of wacky gameplay
>THAT DOESN'T COUNT

Fuck off

Okay, okay, okay...

wasn't goat simulator an inside joke that happened to get a lot of buzz, though?

>nidhogg
>graphics look like shit, but they're functional
>you can tell the dev didn't know shit about graphics so he just threw together some placeholder shit so he could get his gameplay idea out
>it worked

>nidhogg 2
>graphics look like shit, aren't functional
>you can tell someone put effort into this, and failed catastrophically
>noone will buy this shit

Looks better than 8bit pixel shit cancer

Wacky sound =/= gameplay

It's what started the Youtuber bait trend after what happened with it.

Yeah like the worm was cool because it was a wacky weird part of an otherwise serious looking game.
Made it feel like this was a strange world where people fought for the right to be eaten by this worm monster.
Now the worm is just going to blend into the background of this w-w-wacky game.
I wonder if they've even tried working in some story shit or something and it'll have a zaney spin to the telling like always.
Silence will have spoke it better in the original than them telling it now.

I hate how this is a thing for today's videogames.
Make a crazy silly game that will live at most for 1 or 2 weeks, cash in on youtuber's money and then just move on to the next silly game or make a DLC to make silly game sillier

>aren't functional
The fuck does that mean

But flailing and slamming your body down against an opponent while their body spews blood is, you fucking autist

Alright so we all know Messhof made nidhogg alone, graphics to gameplay, all one man.
Who do you guys think made these terrible graphics? Clearly not Messhof because he's a programmer and doesn't know shit about graphics as seen in nidhogg.
To me it looks like the work of an art major girlfriend.

It means it's a visual clusterfuck and you can't tell what's going on.
Hell you could barely tell what was going on in regular nidhogg just because it was so fast paced, and that was pixelshit on a black background most of the time.

It's been years since the first game. Messhof was probably spending the time working on the perfect formula that will cash in on Youtube money.

>the ending of every nidhogg match was getting killed by some unavoidable mess of pixels called a Nidhogg

yeah, this game sure was a super serious video game

>To me it looks like the work of an art major girlfriend.

No she wouldn't actually be forced to try and purposefully fuck up the artstyle.
Like imagine the conversation
>Hey honey, I know you're a really super good artist after leaving art school but could you like make some really bad art for my game?

t. retarded dev that doesn't understand tone

This. It was pared-down but had enough of its own style to be interesting to look at. This is just grotesque and unpleasant and I'm still not sure it isn't some kind of late April Fool's joke.

It was intentionally made to be "buggy" and wacky, yes. The original was a game jam thing if I remember correctly.

It didn't start Youtube bait, but exemplified it.

fag

Nidhogg worked because it was :
>Fast
>Simple and yet nuanced
>Funny because of emergent gameplay
This last point is incredibly important. When i first played Nidhogg with my friend we both went in completely blind, i had just heard about the game on Cred Forums. We both expected it to be a serious competitive game but we ended up laughing our asses off, because the gameplay made for funny situations, the simple graphics allowed for your imagination to make up most of the details and it was a lot of fun at the same time. Sure, getting eaten by the giant worm was pretty wacky but the artstyle made it funny not in a "lolsorandom" way, but rather in a cognitive dissonance one where the somewhat serious aesthetics get overtaken by an absurd event.

Constrast this with the new Nidhogg where the gameplay remains what seems to be mostly the same but all of the subtlety is completely gone. Where before you would laugh because you threw a sword in your friend's face and then sprinted to the other side of the map you are now being told by the game : "look at this goofy character with exagerated expressions making exagetared animations while making funny noises! You're supposed to laugh now! it's funny! It's wacky!!".

Wacky animation =/= wacky gameplay

>went from stick figures fencing dramatically in mysterious locations to sesame street whacky gore shit

Or like
>"baby do your best I believe in you"
>get this shit out of it
>"oh.... it's.... great?"
I mean, how else could a game end up looking like this, this is blatant disregard for giving a shit what your game looks like.

oh what the fuck

>Funny because of emergent gameplay
So true
>That first time someone does the flying kick
>That first time someone figures out how to counter a flying kick
>That first time you throw a sword
>That first time you counter a thrown sword
>That first rolling kick
>Counter etc etc

Wacky characters doing wacky things != funny
seemingly serious characters/artstyle having wacky emergent gameplay == fun/funny

Nidhogg is to Newgrounds stick-figure fights as Nidhogg 2 is to Racist Mario.

>I mean, how else could a game end up looking like this
because this

>Nidhogg 2 is to Nidhogg what Racist Mario is to Newgrounds stick-figure fights.
FTFY
pic related

Christ even the trailer is awful

I mean it's possible but unlikely, especially if it still has nidhogg gameplay, youtubers can't make LOLSORANDOM memes and fanny faces about a game that isn't easy, doesn't have jumpscares, or isn't a sandbox game with no real goal.
Nidhogg is hardline linear as fuck and almost exclusively multiplayer, even if it LOOKS like youtube trash it would never get mass appeal on youtube.

This is probably the work of an "idea guy" hired to help out

You forgot the smug anime face, strawman faggot.

This game looks worse than undertale

Rude, but fair enough. One more reason to kill myself.

>Play Nidhogg for the first time with a buddy, who's been playing it for a while
>Discover how to throw swords on my second match
>Win the next 10 matches just by throwing the sword when he's trying to do some cool moves
It's always funny, like going apeshit with button mashing when playing a fighting game against someone who's good at it.

>almost exclusively multiplayer
why does it matter how tricky it is if two retards can just make silly noises over it

>One more reason to kill myself.
stop

Throwing your weapon always works.

Is "wacky" the new fun?

I'm seeing this term bandied about as though it describes something. I think the word that y'all are looking for is "cartoonish" or maybe "Troll dollz."

I for one do not believe that these graphics can be Messhof's doing. has a neat theory, but the amount of teeth-gritting he'd have to go through over a sustained period of development could not possibly be worth any amount of pussy. I don't think Messhof is a careerist mercenary "Youtube bait" sellout, either, having made a niche game on his own exactly how he liked it and selling it only to weirdos for ten bucks a pop with crossbuy.

I wanna know what's going here. Anons who say Nidhogg doesn't need a sequel are right. New weapons, characters would ruin the fencing aspect. And it's a fencing game.

Because if they're not playing seriously one of them is just going to get steamrolled and it won't be very amusing to watch because nothing interesting will ever happen.

Don't worry. If I ever acted upon those reasons I would be long dead, D E S U.

Honestly if nidhogg 1 had a map maker I would have laughed this piece of shit off and added it to my filter.
But I am desperate for more maps, the mine and cloud one are shit in nidhogg one so it always boils down to castle 90% of the time or japan field 10% of the time.

Blame this man
tonydixob.tumblr.com

>graphics don't matter

Presentation, however, does.

you don't know much about youtube do you lad

No ones watching for the game they're watching for the silly noises and faces

On the Nidhogg website it states Toby Dixon made the art.

Maybe the new artstyle isn't so bad guys

>artist capable of only claymation and silly pixel graphics
>still gets asked to do the graphics for a more serious game

Someone fucked up here, and I'm not sure it was the artist.

He's not really that bad, but he doesn't fit this game

>more serious game

Stop

Why the fuck is everyone saying a change in art style is let's play bait? Grasping at straws.

Yeah but the silly noises and faces have to be in response to silly things happening in the game.

You know what the worst thing about this will be? How they'll change the soundtrack from that awesome ambient breakcore to fucking wacky bullshit. That's what's gonna completely kill this game.

Judging by that link, they knew full well what to expect when they hired him. This lad just did what he does, they fucked up by hiring him.

You don't know what grasping at straws means.

Also

>asynchronous blinking
>big retard googly eyes
>autistic screaming
>everything about the aesthetic is trying to be as wacky as possible
>Let's Players love to play the most wackiest and lol random shit be it in visuals or gameplay because it attracts the most attention
>Devs know this and makes games that cater to this crowd all the time now

It's obvious the art style, voices, and animations are so drastically different in order to get that sweet Youtube money.

what the fuck?

Mystery solved.
rockpapershotgun.com/2016/09/29/interview-messhof-on-nidhogg-2/
KN is messhof's
>KN: We put a call out for artists and Toby Dixon was one of the people that responded. His style had humor and a grotesque vibe that resonated with us. So we were able to keep the great bits everyone liked about the first Nidhogg, the subtle humor, exaggerated yelling, blood, gore… and really give it a boost with Toby’s stylistic embellishments.
Messhof never comments on the art, he just says he wanted another artist to work on it so he could focus on the gameplay, as me made nidhogg completely himself.
His girlfriend also says
>For Mark and I, this is now our third game working together, and each game we work on we get better at finding collaborators that really improve what we can do ourselves, but we think they do it better.
So it's a pretty safe bet his girlfriend decided to hire this artist, who's shit, and messhof can't say a god damn thing about it because he likes pussy and is a pussy.
Also since it's a 3 person development team now up from 1, with messhof doing all the work and his girlfriend doing... something, it's a safe bet that she's the reason this game is going to suck.

See
Nidhogg 1 was funny because of the gameplay, and it's really difficult to explain why it's funny to someone who hasn't played it. Nidhogg 2 makes what is supposed to be funny a lot more blatant in an attempt to attract more people and make the word of mouth easier to flow.

KN is messhof's girlfriend**

I think he's just dumb

Is this the first time where lazy pixel shit somehow managed to be better than something with actual effort? How can someone fuck up presentation this bad, jesus christ.

>So we were able to keep the great bits everyone liked about the first Nidhogg

Except it's quite clear that they failed to do this especially judging from the dislike count on the trailer

>as me made nidhogg completely himself.
>as me
>me

Hello Messhof

I wish
I meant "as he", as me isn't gramatically correct.

"The subtle humor"

Actually that makes a lot of sense. Women in general can't understand subtle humour. She probably never understood why people thought Nidhogg was funny to begin with, so she decided that hiring someone to make loud, obnoxious, wacky graphics for the game would make it "even funnier" because if you look at any woman "comedian" their "comedy" mostly consists of being loud.

>two stoic, bare figures staring across from each other
>the only company they have are the creatures of whatever disturbed land they walk and their swords
>neither move, knowing that to fail is to be stuck in this realm forever
>the only victory is death, to be free of this terrible plane by the gaping maw of Nidhogg, the devouring worm, the parasite of the World Tree

>tumblr
This explains the godawful character designs and the tumblr nose

pleasing the dumb its easy and more profitable.
only a moron wouldn't do it.

Releasing an objectively terrible game on the potential that it might strike youtube gold is far stupider.

I just looked over his Tumblr. I like his claymation well enough, but why they'd hire someone with that portfolio is baffling.

"It's obvious" here reminds me of the NY hipsters in DeLillo's White Noise. They say "it's obvious" when it's pointedly not fucking obvious to anybody but themselves. If you have to be enlightened as to the link between toolboxes and bigotry, or between asynchronous eyeblinking and sweet YouTube money, then it is not obvious. Maybe it's obvious to people who spend a lot of time watching Let's Plays, at which point it should be obvious to you that you're part of the retard market.

>do some research on this slut who ruined nidhogg
>all-caps massive text
Oh fuck, it's going to be so much worse than I imagined, this is the most obnoxious human being ever.

>RPS: About the art, the first game often benefited from its minimalism. Why choose this style?

>KN: We put a call out for artists and Toby Dixon was one of the people that responded. His style had humor and a grotesque vibe that resonated with us. So we were able to keep the great bits everyone liked about the first Nidhogg, the subtle humor, exaggerated yelling, blood, gore… and really give it a boost with Toby’s stylistic embellishments. For Mark and I, this is now our third game working together, and each game we work on we get better at finding collaborators that really improve what we can do ourselves, but we think they do it better.

>ME: A lot of the reason the first game looks the way it does is because I was doing all the art, but I was also programming and designing at the same time. I really wanted to collaborate with another artist this time around and focus my energy on the design and game feel. We also didn’t want the sequel to look like the same game. The gameplay was evolving so we wanted the art to look like it was a step forward as well.

>trying this hard to defend shittiness

Classic Cred Forums

>The gameplay was evolving so we wanted the art to look like it was a step forward as well.

Well you failed tremendously at that

He's not wrong, some of his tumblr looks acceptable, doesn't excuse the fact he made the game looks fucking awful.

>the subtle humor, exaggerated yelling, blood, gore
>subtle
>yelling
>gore
one of these things is not like the other

At what point was there yelling and gore in nidhogg? Blood, yeah, but even that was colred.

So he's literally getting cucked?

It looks like it, I'm trying to figure out if Toby Dixon is a black guy right now, it's definitely a black guy name I just can't confirm because I can't find a picture.

I still play the first one quite frequently, but I didn't even know about the second.

Hardly matters, I don't see any reason to stop playing the first.

They killed my entire interest on the game from the art style alone

the rest is just the cherry on top

>she is also doing the music for Nidhogg 2
So that's why the trailer music sounded so mediocre and bland.

The fencers would give out a death scream when they died but no idea how she thought that was exaggerated at all.

>check his twitter
>retweeted runner 3 announcement

Hey neat.

Although that was another series that suffered badly from a shift in art style.

They couldn't get Daedelus back???

>pillow shading
>sprite rotation
I've seen enough

Jesus.
Why not just go for an Another World look, at least it'd be recognizably tied to the first game aesthetically.

D A M A G E D
A
M
A
G
E
D

>The fencers would give out a death scream when they died but no idea how she thought that was exaggerated at all.
Yeah, I don't remember homer the barbarian screams at all. I always saw it as a duel between two honorable warriors who have found the one thing they're willing to break rules and be underhanded about.

>instantly blaming the woman
>emphasizing the fact that she's a woman, and that's why it's bad
>throwing around derogatory terms
>cuck this and that

Please, not this shit again. It's fully possible that the poor qualities of this game could be her fault, but let's not start some sort of drama storm that will ultimately vilify those who don't like the new direction.

Let the product speed for itself, don't try to find some sort of scapegoat. It'll just make our criticism weaker.

>messhof made nidhogg 1 alone
>it was perfect

>now he has a girlfriend who's a co-founder of messhof
>for SOME REASON nidhogg 2 looks fucking retarded
It's clearly all just a coincidence user.

> It'll just make our criticism weaker.
I don't think it matters, the game's ruined and bitching about it regardless of how rationally won't fix that fact.

But the artist is Toby Dickson, not his girlfriend. He's the one making it look so bad.

He also probably had a haircut in the interim. Clearly this was a factor seeing as it was a thing that happened.

2 looks much better.

There were super colorful screens just to fuck with the eyes

Who even cares about how valid anyone's criticism is now. One look at this game is enough for anyone who played the first to know that this is an abomination.

His artstyle and how he does things is /very/ clear from his website. He straight up should not have been hired for this.
And his girlfriend is making the boring music.

A haircut is not a reason why a game would be significantly different. A new co-owner of the dev studio is.

Since Daedelus also made music for Flywrench I see no reason why that would be the case.

All the bad things seen from the trailer are directly caused by her (art direction, sound design, bland music). I really don't care if she is a women or not.

Yes, but she is the one who accepted him for making the art with his style in the first place.

>indie pixel art story game... WITH DEEP MEANING

Play the game

It says right in the description box of the trailer that he's doing music for the game, among some other people.

Wait there are more games with Daedelus music???

>death screams compared to what should be composed duelists screaming like fucking barbarian savages

I am fine with it looking more 16 bit, but jesus the way the characters look just feels...bad.

He only made two songs for the game (the game has many different artists) but yes.

youtube.com/watch?v=y-lwVdOyjj0

Be mindful, anyone who likes Nidhogg. Nidhogg 2 could improve on the gameplay and features in each and every way, but shitposters will go back to "muh grafix" to derail thtreads.

Personally, I like the look, but that's my opinion. I'm more concerned with how the gameplay will turn out, though, because Nidhogg wasn't exactly great in the graphics department either.

Jesus, even Nidhogg 1's trailer is better.
youtu.be/TaOocHXMhlU

Hi Messnof/his girlfriend

I just admitted the gameplay could turn out shitty, and you accuse me of shilling. Are you stupid?

>Personally, I like the look
Well then you're a simpleton. It's revolting.

Please fucking stop. We don't need a group of people who don't play games defending a shit art style because the scary misogynists at Cred Forums

The gameplay will probably turn out fine since it's still just Messhof working on that.

The problem is no matter how good the game is it'll still be unplayable because the game is a visual clusterfuck and you won't be able to tell what the fuck just happened, hell even nidhogg was barely playable anywhere that wasn't inside the castle level.

The gameplay already seems to be worse, by sheer liberty of screen real estate. The grass would work nowhere near the same in this new game as well

How could they fuck up this badly?

Actually, what was said was

>when was there yelling in Niddhog

Play the game

Eat a dick faggot I have over 400 hours sunk in nidhogg so I have as much a right to complain about this ABORTION as anyone else, moreso than you. Clearly something happened between this game and the last one, and MAYBE it's his girlfriend ruining it, considering she's the major change between those two points.

>Well then you're a simpleton. It's revolting.
I mean, this is your opinion. If you think that pixel art looks better, you go right ahead and feel that way.

>hell even nidhogg was barely playable

You what? You people probably can't even handle Contra if you think there's too much going on those screens.

>duck game
>shitty
Oh fuck off. It's not the game's fault you don't have friends to play with.

Keep reading this as nignogg

>It's not the game's fault you don't have friends to play with.

Not him but no one plays the game anymore

I like how you shift to her when all of these decisions could have been his own.

Just because you don't like the direction something takes doesn't mean that the original creator didn't think it up.

>defending

Your kneejerking is unnecessary . Read what I said.

>Upgrading from Atari to SNES graphics
Yeah, nice. Shows some progression rather than just rehash the old assets.
>That artstyle though
Shame. Seems a waste.

Every multiplayer game is fun if you play it with your friends. Even undeniable garbage.

When contra switches up to a visceral "every pixel matters" fighting game I'll consider your inane statement.

>Just because you don't like the direction something takes doesn't mean that the original creator didn't think it up.
I have a hard time believing it considering he's the same person who single-handedly made nidhogg a masterpiece.

>Every multiplayer game is fun if you play it with your friends.
This is a stupid meme.

That one multiplayer game in Action 52 is not good or fun by any stretch of the imagination.

>I have a hard time believing it
Some people have a hard time believing that the earth is round, but that doesn't mean it's true.

You're right. But it does look like she doesn't get what's good about Nidhogg, and it does look like Mark Essen is gritting his teeth because he can't take back the responsibility he gave to his girlfriend. There are almost always issues when you go into business with someone you're fucking, and everyone knows this, but they do it thinking they'll be the exception.

This has less to do with her being a woman and more to do with her being the creator's girlfriend. So Cred Forums gets to hate her for being one, and gets to hate Mark for having one.

I'd have to play the other games she was involved in to say anything more than that. Except that I think of Nidhogg as being a particularly manly game, and that I'm guilty of some of the same misgivings about a "woman's touch" in such a game. At least I know how retarded that sounds.

I think the character movements seem more realistic, but that's not hard when the new one uses fucking tweening on pixel art. seriously the ugliest thing you can do animation wise.

it's not true*

If someone uses one more strawman I'm going to jack myself off.

>Every multiplayer game is fun if you play it with your friends
Maybe, but if your friends actually want to play the game more than once, it probably means the game isn't garbage.
I'm just saying Duck Game is a solid local multiplayer game, on par with Nidhogg and Samurai Gunn in terms of entertainment.

>all this focus on his girlfriend when we don't even know who contributed what or how the game plays or even the extent to how much she played nidhogg

wew lad
wew

This is more like believing the earth suddenly became flat for no reason.

Make sure to cum on the screen fuccboi.

What we know for sure
>nidhogg 1
>made 100% by meshoff
>amazing game

>nidhogg 2
>made by meshoff and his girlfriend
>looks fucking retarded

>who contributed what

From the website:

Game Design and Art Direction – Mark Essen
Deal Making and Music Direction – Kristy Norindr
Lead Artist and Animations – Toby Dixon

I call BS on Mark Essen doing Art Direction however.

game?

>I call BS on Mark Essen doing Art Direction however.
>People who made the game tell you who did what
>You don't believe them because reasons

My man, if you want to go through life not looking like a retard, it's best that you give up. This is not a hill you want to die on.

>deal making
So she hired toby dixon
I'd also like to point out the music in the trailer sucks ass.

Don't forget the music in Nidhogg 1 was made by Daedalus, who unsurprisingly isn't doing the music for Nidhogg 2.
I'm sure that Daedalus would have done the music for Nidhogg 2 as well if his girlfriend didn't decide to do it herself (since Daedalus also curated the soundtrack for Messhofs other game Flywrench)

Flywrench, the other game by Messhof.
store.steampowered.com/app/337350/

Look at all of the games that he made, all of them have a similar art direction whereas Nidhogg 2 is the only one who differs from that direction. I'm not saying he has to hate the art but it doesn't seem like he would have chosen this art style if he was the one deciding.

>love Toby Dixon's art
>love how this game looks
>love the original Nidhogg
>love seeing Cred Forums lose their shit over pixels

today was a good day

OKAY OKAY OKAY OKAY OKAY OKAY

"Deal making" is a nebulous as fuck term.

Also

>Mark in charge of the Art Direction
>Toby in charge of the art itself
>blame her somehow

wew

>duck game
>shitty
Woah there, user you gotta give Duck Game a go with some mates

She made a deal and shuffled the blame away, it's her job.

How do you know any of this?

t. tumblr transfat queer

Because girls are yucky

I read what you said. My post was a response.

Then that's good for you user, hope you enjoy it

>buzzwords

I read the RPS interview where it proves messhof is a cuck.

Perfection

>proves messhof is a cuck

According to the interview, she's played a lot. I'm sure she gets what is good about the gameplay, but it seems that in fact neither of them get why the rest of it was good.

The above is hubris writ large; that the dev doesn't get his own game is completely bananas, but if he's directing the artist (even if he didn't pick him himself) he seems to be doing a bad job. People bitch for some reason about Nidhogg's simple look, but those animations were slick, palettes were dope...all-around it never looked like something made because of constraints, but because it looked like nothing else out there. He knows what looks good, and he's not doing that.

I also wonder if more weapons is really a good idea in a game about fencing, but people who want to duel with the same weapons can do so and I should get over it. I probably will not play it if it looks like UNepic, with paperdoll puppets swinging limbs like pendula.

I will! I honestly didn't play enough of the first, maybe I'll boot it up this weekend and play it.

>10+ levels
oh baby

Fucking stop. You're doing it again

Why, my favorite fighting game of the last decade is ruined, I need to yell and blame someone don't I? For my own sanity atleast.

>10 arenas vs the 4 of the original
>4 confirmed weapon types so far
>but that art style

I mean it kind of works considering how the original game was fighting for the right to be devoured by a worm and die a proper death, but come on

My only other worry is the 4 weapons means the simplicity and depth of the original may start getting thrown aside in favor of more. I mean 3 weapons would have been fine (some sort of triangle), but we will see how you get new weapons and how they contribute.

Also want to see the new arenas. Castle confirmed for return, I imagine the other 3 arenas will be as well. But I want to see if they either go for the level design of 1, or if they will favor more whacky/gimmicky level designs (ie moving platforms, traps, dangers)

>I'm sure she gets what is good about the gameplay, but it seems that in fact neither of them get why the rest of it was good.
The gameplay was the only thing that made Nidhogg good.

You can kys. But first, you can stop flinging blame towards someone who's not even responsible for what you hate about it. The game credits were posted in this very thread and you still aren't even yelling at the right people.

Seeing how Flywrench turned out i'm sure he does realize why the rest of it was good.

>People bitch for some reason about Nidhogg's simple look
I haven't seen anyone bitch about it at all.

The only thing I'm worried about here is the meta.

>game looks like shit
>IT'S BECAUSE OF THAT GIRL
Can't you post your obsessions on 8shit or something instead of making the whole board look even more retarded than usual?

Why do people bring this up as Youtuber bait when thats exactly what the first game was?

I can't blame Toby because he's just a contractor.
I can't blame Mark because he knew exactly what nidhogg should be, considering he made it himself.
CLEARLY someone else is responsible, Toby didn't hire himself, who's responsible for contracting contractors other than the "deal maker"?

It looks like shit but I'm gonna buy it

>I can't blame the two people responsible for the art in this game, but I CAN blame the one person who wasn't involved in the art for this game

This is the last (You) you're getting out of me, sonny.

Because the first game was good.
This looks like shit.

I liked the original because I got a very Kurosawa vibe, with 2 lone warriors dueling in the wilderness

2 looks like a Simpsons gag

Mark did the art in the first game and it was perfect, unless he got hit in the head by a rock since then how can he possibly be responsible for this abortion? Stop defending her just because she's a woman you white-knight faggot tumblerette.

Well there you have it boys, Reddit hates the new artstyle. Looks like we gotta start liking it now.

I was glancing at the catalog and thought it said "nignog."

His claymation stuff looks really cool actually. I feel like he's being drastically misused.

You guys should fuck

>The new artist was hired by the dev's girlfriend.
>Girlfriend has a fundamental misunderstanding of what the game is supposed to be about and thinks "since it was funny we need to make it funnier!"
>"Funnier" by most woman's standards = more loud and obnoxious
>Dev can't say that he doesn't like it because he's a beta pussyslave so just goes with his GF's decision
Not that hard to understand

why

I literally would have bought the game if it had the same art style again, there was nothing wrong with it

did nobody tell them this looked like fucking crap

I think even he's embarrassed by this game, I can't find any mention of it on his tumblr or twitter.

wouldnt a girl want the game to look cuter. That would still be a step in the wrong direction, but atleast the game wouldnt look disgusting

They fell for the Cred Forums "indie pixelshit is bad" meme.

>Dev hires girl
>'it's not her fault!'

Spot the retard

>inb4 dev sees all of this criticism against his GF
>Accuses game to have "haters" and being attacked by gamergate
>Tons of tumblerites and lefty cancer flock and start saying that the game looks gorgeous and there's nothing wrong with it despite having never played it because Virtue Signalling is too strong in the CURRENT YEAR
>They become completely immune to any and all criticism because the fanbase gets alienated and anyone who says anything gets branded as a gamergater or woman-hater
>All fans of the original game get drowned out
And so the eternal cicle continues and takes yet another game with it

Where did it all go so wrong?

>Enjoy new monstrous visuals by artist Toby Dixon and bangin Beats from Daedelus, Mux Mool, Doseone, and more!
Deadelus is doing music for the game, why are people saying the girlfriend is doing it all?

Nobody on Cred Forums ever complained about how this game looks, everyone knew it was made by a programmer and fit the game's focus on mechanics instead of being flash in the pan bullshit.
This is pure flash in the pan.

Who cares user, it's not like he's going to fix it anyway, it's fucked and all we can do about it is accept it and bitch about it until they break up and nidhogg 3 rocks our world.

Kinda reminds me of Stick it to the man but without any of the charm that made it work
disappointing since nidhogg was a god-tier couch game

Everyone is assuming it was the case because of the credits stating she is doing the music direction and the music in the trailer sounding really bland.

I swear to god if you make this about the dev's girlfriend I'm gonna kill you all. It's probably true that this was her idea, but pointing that out is just gonna make this harder to change because it'll make it easy to the deflect criticism as internet misogyny.

>I swear to god if you make this about the dev's girlfriend I'm gonna kill you all
will you kiss me before you do

>It's probably true that this was her idea
Where the fuck are you getting this from when the 2 names attached to art direction are men?

Are you people really so stupid that you can't possibly believe that a man could create something that you would dislike? Do you realize what you sound like right now?

It's too late user. Once this thread dies rumours will start to run rampant.

dont post my waifu and have a wrong opinion

Looks like shit. I'd rather have wacky.

The art is solely done by Toby, who was contracted by Kristy according to the credits.

You don't complain about an artist who makes art in his style, you complain about the person who decided he was a good fit for the project.

And if you think Mark plays a part in the art direction then not only did you not read the interview where it was stated that he let his girlfriend and Toby do all of the art, but additionally take a look at , how does one man make such a drastic leap in artstyle in one year?

I'm trying to convince a bunch of faggots who have rushed to a bullshit conclusion that they're correct but better off not expressing it. That's way easier than convincing them that they're wrong.

Yep, you're retarded. Blame everyone but the people who are responsible.

Like for example, I'm blaming your parents for not aborting you and making me read your retarded posts right now, instead of blaming you for being a retard.

>That's way easier than convincing them that they're wrong.
But why? We have two names on the art in the credits. Occam's Razor. But no, we have to go through convoluted theories instead of just accepting the believable story we already have on our hands.

>John ramero made Doom
>it was perfect

>now he has a daughter who he has to look after
>for SOME REASON Daikatana was fucking retarded
obviously women ruin everything.

didn't romero's wife actually design some of the levels in daikatana?

That's easy
>john romero and john carmack made doom
>it was perfect
>they parted ways
>john romero made daikatana and it sucked
>john carmack made MEGATEXTURES and it sucked.
Fact is they fucked with the chemistry that made it perfect and everything went to shit.

Homer Simpson

Let me give you a terrible food analogy then since that's what Cred Forums seems to like these days.

Imagine if a group of people at a restaurant want to order a meal consisting of meat, but the restaurant owner gets a vegetarian chef to make the food for them. The chef then hands them a plate full of vegetables and fruit.
Who would be in the wrong here?

What?

What the fuck is this?

stop arguing against my strawmen you fucking libcuck shills

the more accurate thing is to realize that they just got lucky with doom and quake

there were also other people on said dev team that helped to make the games good

they do if you have friends to play with

you know, hence why he said friends

i actually had to look it up because i thought this was a joke. jesus fuck, what were they thinking?

>my favorite fighting game just got ruined
All I wanted was maps, why did this have to happen, who the fuck wants bows in a fencing game?

youtube.com/watch?v=ODmqS5C7jIQ

Cred Forums is fanny blasted because they changed the artstyle

It's more of a Muppets thing, stupid.[\spoiler]

>Nidhogg 2 is literally this episode

I played Nidhogg.

This new artstyle is fucking disgusting.

>the more accurate thing is to realize that they just got lucky with doom and quake
i've seen some stupid opinions in my time, but this is ridiculous

go on youtube and type savage into the bar
look, an actually retarded idiot who hasn't played a game in his life

How does a bad sequel retroactively ruin a fantastic game that's already made and completely outside of its influence? Get your head out of your ass.

There's a reason they both fell into obscurity after Doom and Quake.

that's the point you fucking moron. anyone could make that shit if they tried and still it looks better than their new game.

Every single time an anticipated sequel for a great game comes out, they don't just make minor changes that can be tolerated. They change it to such a degree, and in such a retarded way that it's like you had a nightmare about "the sequel being terrible", except it's not a nightmare, it's reality. What the fuck is going on inside of their head? JUST

That looks awful, what the fuck? The first game is fun as hell though.

How did Carmack fall into obscurity? Quake 3 was a massive industry-changing success and so was Doom 3. I think you need to take some time off from Cred Forums.

They don't. Nidhogg was always ugly as sin.

Because that fantastic game only had 1 good map and 1 playable map, it NEEDED more maps, and if it had a map maker or a hundred more simple maps I'd play it until the day I died and wouldn't give a fuck about this abortion.

>How did Carmack fall into obscurity?
Anita is more important than Carmack is today.

All they needed to do was release Nidhogg+

I didn't mean Quake 1 and Doom 1, I mean they didn't go on to do anything super meaningful after they worked on those series.

And Doom 3 is a polarizing game.

Yeah but I think we'll all take ugly out of necessity over ugly by shit design.

Carmack is one of the people leading the VR charge. Anita is literally who at this point. Again: I think you need to take a break from Cred Forums. It's killing you.

>How did Carmack fall into obscurity?
Because he's building rockets and meme game technology.

What you are implying is that the first Nidhogg is now bad because Nidhogg 2 appears to be making questionable design choices. We both know that's hyperbole at best, and total bullshit most likely. Lack of good maps notwithstanding, Nidhogg 1 is always going to hold up.

Well, hopefully Daedelus isn't working with them. This just doesn't deserve his music.

Original Nidhogg wasn't ugly by necessity. It was ugly because the developer thought it was cool to have an atari art style that doesn't really have anything in common with the actual look of an atari game. There is nothing in indie game visuals that pisses me off quite as much as pixellated graphics that don't allign to a grid, and nidhogg's developer is the fucking worst for that.

I'm saying you can't live forever off 2 maps, and I hate nidhogg 2 because all they had to do was add more content and instead it looks like an unplayable mess.
I'm not saying nidhogg 1 is bad retroactively, I'm saying it's great, I need more, and I'm not getting it.

I must be missing something.

The only thing that looks really bad is the way the characters look, act, and are designed, everything else is a step up.

>With Music From – Mux Mool, Dose One, Daedelus AND MORE!
>Additional collaborators will be added as the project progresses

It was ugly because one person made the entire game, and that one person was a programmer, so the graphics were effectively placeholder.

>yfw you can kill the nidhogg this time

>The only thing that looks bad is [everything you could see in the sixteen second trailer]

yeah no shit
stupid

Yes, but characters are a huge part in how appealing a game can look. If you where to take lets say Dustforce and made all the characters low quality "8-bit" sprites but kept the rest of the game exactly the same you would get the same reaction from people.

The chef. Fuck him for trying to shove his vegetarianism down my throat, he was hired to serve me meat.

>Calling people stupid
>Doesn't know how to properly use spoilers

don't respond to me unless you have something meaningful to say

I don't care. It's super stylized and it looks like utter trash. It doesn't matter to me if 1 person made it or 50, the visuals are complete garbage and the programmer should have had the common goddamn sense to realize that pixelated graphics exist because of lower resolutions and not had his big, ugly, chunky fucking squares rotating around.

Nidhogg's visuals were trash, and the sequel seems to just be a further development the developer's shit taste, only in slightly higher fidelity.

>I have shit taste: the post

His stuff actually looks really cool, it's just not a good fit here

Modern pixel graphics exist because some people can't draw intricate shit you faggot, hell most "pxiel art" games from the 90s look like shit too, and they had way better teams working for money.

You know, it would probably look a lot better if it were hand-drawn instead of pixel art

Problem is there's no such thing as bad pixel art, even undertale and shovel knight get a pass despite looking like shit.
You can easily make bad drawn art, this is a prime example.

If you don't put in even the tiny modicum of effort to make your oh-so-retro pixelated style align to a grid like the actual old games you're ripping off, then you can get fucked. There's nothing "retro" there, its just fucking ugly and lazy.

You are outright the only person stupid and autistic enough to complain about pixel alignment, nobody else gives a shit.

Garrett is such a cool dude. As expected from the guy with a Hunter surname

>my standards are in the gutter so yours should be too
Enjoy your trash retard. The visuals in this sequel are the logical continuation of the garbage you support.

You faggots stopped playing it that's what happened. Can we get a lobby up right now and play Cred Forums?

This is horrible. At least the super simple graphics in Nidhogg let you imagine what you want, not those ugly monsters. Now I need to puke, thanks OP.

Nobody cares user, it's not on a 320x200 screen so your arbitrarily imposed limitations don't matter.

I like it

>Nidhogg
>online
>working

lol

this is pretty on point. the dev is a faggot, but unfortunately he has faggots like who give him money

>Problem is there's no such thing as bad pixel art
There absolutely is. For example, using too much manual anti-aliasing. At a certain point, it skirts the line between pixel art and regular art, you need to be able to make the distinction. Proper pixel art is extremely deliberate. Using too many colors, parallel banding, improper circle technique, there are so many ways to screw it up it's no wonder most indie devs just go for faux-retro or the heavily simplified style like in the first Nidhogg.

I'm not giving him shit, I bought nidhogg because it had exellent gameplay and the graphics made it easy to tell what the fuck is going on despite the combat being intricate and elaborate.
I'm not buying this because if the combat is half as intricate or 1/4th as elaborate as the original you won't be able to tell what the fuck is going on.
I don't actually care what it looks like for the sake of looking like something, I just want it to be functional, and regardless of whether the pixel would line up on a lower resolution screen it WAS functional.

Please user how many devs actually put 1/8th that much thought into it, even 99% of games from the 90s look like shit on a "art" scale. How many games are there with actually good pixel art by those definitions? 1 at most.

Less is more sometimes. The word overdesign exists for a reason.

You literally already named one of them. You also said "yeah well there's no such thing as bad pixel art" then went on to say that Shovel Knight looks like shit, so I'd suggest you make up your mind.

As for what other games feature good pixel art by those definitions? Basically anything by Joakim Sandberg. His games are all textbook definitions of fucking great pixel art. Also the Pokemon games, gen 2-4 mostly had very nicely done pixel art for the actual pokemon sprites.

>it looks like shit but it's not bad

different user, but I'm pretty fucking sure the "no such thing as bad pixel art" comment was sarcasm m8. As in, that's how the industry sees things

Here is the sauce if anyone wants it
nhentai.net/g/150938/

I'm saying despite the fact shovelknight looks like shit, both on a pixel art scale and a normal video game scale, it's still considered good pixel art.
It's effectively impossible to fuck up pixel art because even if you fuck up you can always say some bullshit about that's how it would look in the 90s, regardless of how those games looked like shit out of necessity and limitations.

lol no you dont

dumb animeposter

Man I love nhentai, way easier to navigate that panda, I just wish it had more content.

Is it so hard to make them knights or something

Remember the old trope of a musician auditioning his work for a producer/investor and getting "I don't hear a single" as a response? How long until a developer is working on a game and some balding, mid-40s, vidya hating Wal-Mart exec walks in and says "I don't see a YouTube thumbnail. Start over. And get the E10 rating this time."?
Or is it too late?

I imagine is not that easy.

History revisionism detected. People on Cred Forums bitched about the original game for the minimal pixel art style and the $15 price point that went along with it.

Shovelknight does not look like shit you neckbear.

Isn't Nidhogg that game with barely any content or variation and mediocre netcode that they tried to sell for like 25 dollars?

>I'm saying despite the fact shovelknight looks like shit
By whose standards? Yours? Because most people would agree that considering the self-imposed limitations Yacht Club imposed on themselves(that being only using the NES color palette sans one exception) Shovel Knight looked both faithful and excellent, and you are clearly in a minority.

>It's effectively impossible to fuck up pixel art because even if you fuck up you can always say some bullshit about that's how it would look in the 90s, regardless of how those games looked like shit out of necessity and limitations.
It sounds less to me like you understand pixel art and dislike it out of lack of good execution and more like you just hate pixel art wholesale out of lack of understanding towards it. You're not making objective criticisms, just saying this game and that game looks like shit without backing up your reasoning. Shovel Knight was intended from the beginning to look like it does, and was created by experienced artists who know what they're doing. Compare that to Undertale, the majority of which was drawn by someone who is confessedly not a pixel artist, and as such, there's no real defining aesthetic for the game, so it looks incoherent and amateurish as a result.

There is a guide here on making good-looking pixel art. I tried it out a while back, but I'm more of an audio guy, so I couldn't really commit. There's still a lot to be gleamed from it so that you don't look quite as ignorant about the subject as you do right now.
pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299

I dunno, are you that gay faggot that needs to kill himself like right now?

It looks like a shittier megaman 2.
And it doesn't have your precious pixel alignment so I'm not sure why you're defending it.

The fact that we have thread after thread specifically to complain about shallow shit like artstyle and narrative is indicative of how shitty Cred Forums has gotten.

Please, go write for Polygon plebs.

No, I am not a nidhogg dev.

thats not what I asked

>Shovel Knight looked both faithful and excellent, and you are clearly in a minority.
Faithful to what, the lowest tier NES garbage games? Most of the tiles are just ugly as sin repeating textures. You bash nidhogg, which atleast tries to be creative with a pixel style, and praise something that looks like a shitty clone of what was invariably a shitty game to begin with?
Are you fucking stupid or something?

>shallow shit
>Artstyle is one of the most important aspects of a game that you have to look at all the time

Are you retarded?

t. shallow pleb

Nice counter, retard
Doesn't make you less wrong

>Faithful to what, the lowest tier NES garbage games?
Faithful to the NES's fucking hardware, you absolute cretin. Jesus, I am trying to explain something to you and you just refuse to hear anything that doesn't conform to your range of opinions that's about as wide as a sewing needle. What fucking NES games look better than Shovel Knight? Little Samson? Kirby's Adventure? The whole point is that it's a game that you not only could very reasonably see on the original console, but would also be on the upper echelon of the library in terms of appearance.

You repeatedly call it shit for reasons that you are incapable of explaining because you DON'T FUCKING UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. Maybe you're the one who's fucking stupid.

Yes.

Also look at the replies/posters for this thread.

I like how the first person said they worked together on Nidhogg, then the second dude says he basically did everything.

>this game sucks because I don't like how it looks

late but, you don't know what pillow shading is

I'm calling it shit because it's ugly as fuck, I don't give a shit how well it would render on an NES, and SPOILER ALERT, it wouldn't, because it's not programmed with it's optimizations in mind, and all things considered it would probably surpase the NES's memory and processing limit thousands of times over.
Just because it renders at a shit resolution and has a limited pallet doesn't mean a god damn thing.

Looks shit.

Explain this joke for a non-burger, please.

The Niddhog 2 sprite is being clearly lit from an angle. Pillow shading is when you light from the middle as if from the dead front where the camera is. Just because the character design is bad doesn't mean you get to make up definitions.

thanks bud

I mean that doesn't really make sense considering they're agile fencers
Making them muppets doesn't make any sense either though

Wrong, look at

>I'm calling it shit because it's ugly as fuck,
Subjective.

>I don't give a shit how well it would render on an NES
Then you're purposefully ignoring an important context for the sake of your own subjective argument.

>because it's not programmed with it's optimizations in mind
Technically true, because it's not actually programmed internally to work on an NES. But the internal structure is not what matters, it's the outward appearance.

>Just because it renders at a shit resolution and has a limited pallet doesn't mean a god damn thing.
In terms of pixel art, it absolutely does. I'll bet dollars to donuts you don't know what integer scaling is, and I already explained why palette is important.

No, pillow shading generally doesn't look good. Which is why in the guide I posted, it's being used as an example of what NOT to do.

This.

>because it's ugly as fuck

Yeah, nah, you're a cunt.

Man, does is suck not being able to read?

Or at least have the reading comprehension of a five year old?

Clearly not pillow lit.

Gives me an Earthworm Jim vibe.
In general the style gives me that 90s goofy cartoon video game vibe.

Doesn't really feel memey to me.

Hey - you two, can you please stop derailing the thread?

Just because his girlfriend fucks it up doesn't mean that its because she was born a woman, she is just a fucking idiot who hired a retarded youtube bait artist.

I swear anti gg posters have to bring this shit up whenever Cred Forums criticizes a woman.

I'm assuming integer scaling is some hipster way of saying the pixels would align on a low resolution screen.
Which they wouldn't in shovel knight, you can move relative to 1/4th of a render pixel's size.

>pixel art is how good it would look on an NES
If this is really what pixel art is then pixel art is a fucking joke, it's 2016 nobody should be developing based on arbitrary technology limitations set 3 decades ago, especially if all you get out of it is a garbage looking game like shovelknight.

>the subtle humor
>subtle humor
>subtle

>I'm assuming integer scaling is some hipster way of saying the pixels would align on a low resolution screen.
It's when you scale a resolution by an integer, obviously. Scaling from 256x224 to 640x560, a 2.5x factor, the pixels stretch out and become unevenly sized, and frequently change size based on their position. Of course, you can circumvent that using bilinear filtering, but then you lose any sort of crispness.

>pixel art is how good it would look on an NES
I never said that you used condom. Anybody with a working brain can see that Konjak's games don't look like anything you'd find on an NES, but they look amazing in their own right.

>but they look amazing in their own right.
Sure, maybe if they were released 3 decades ago, by modern standards it's just hipster bullshit.
Also nothing scales properly in shovelknight, it would never even remotely work on an NES.

Star is a faggot

Art designers for video games (or at least the publishers/investors who direct them) don't seem to know what "stylized" means.

They think that "not realistic" = stylized.
>Let's make it look like a cartoon! Like Ren + Stimpy or Banjo-Kazooie, you know, even though that art style clashes horribly with the tone and content of the game!
>What do you mean it looks weird? It's -stylized-, that's the cool thing to do in video games now! Make things cartoony for style instead of realism!

The original Nidhogg's art direction was stylized as fuck. Aside from the Nidhogg itself (which looked comically and almost jarringly poorly-drawn compared to the rest of the game), the colorful silhouette-painting thing it had going on was very unique, pleasing to the eye, fitting for the themes, and above all, STYLISH! It looked really unique, and matched the tone of the game(play) while also being vibrant and fun to look at instead of washed-out and gritty.

This new art style is just... aw man. They dropped the ball hard. Harder than your average Cred Forumsirgin attempting a shot-put throw. It looks, as most people are accurately describing, like a 90s mashup of The Simpsons, Ren + Stimpy, Clay Fighters, and any variety of popular internet flash animation (JoeCartoon etc.) of the time.

When will devs realize that there's a time and place for fluffy cartoony styles and a time and place for gritty realistic styles. It's fucking Diablo III all over again.
>WoW does it and WoW is the best selling vidya ever so we have to do it too!

Kind of want to make a wojak version

>Sure, maybe if they were released 3 decades ago, by modern standards it's just hipster bullshit.
You haven't learned anything, have you. Subjective. Subjective. God damn.

>Also nothing scales properly in shovelknight, it would never even remotely work on an NES.
It wouldn't actually work on an NES for reasons other than that, for instance, the fact that it can display more than 4 or 5 sprites onscreen without flickering. But that's a compromise they had to make because the flickering was more of a hindering limitation than one you could stylize off of. The resolution issue was another compromise; 1080p is by far the most widely-used resolution in gaming nowadays, so it was either use the genuine NES resolution(256x240) or something close to it. They opted instead for pixels that in reality are 4.5 pixels large, so that their virtual vertical resolution of 240 would stretch to a real vertical resolution of 1080. If they had narrowed the horizontal field from 400 to 256 and never scaled up, it actually would've fit perfectly within the NES output, theoretically.
gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidDAngelo/20140625/219383/Breaking_the_NES_for_Shovel_Knight.php

>The Niddhog 2 sprite is being clearly lit from an angle

I am trying to get the angle this ligthing is suppose to come from
>chest and face light up
>right left light up
>elbow light up
>right hand light up
>left thumb light up
>everything else darker

>You haven't learned anything, have you. >Subjective. Subjective. God damn.
No, it's objectively ugly as fuck.
You subjectively like it regardless.
I can name 30 games which actually make use of pixel art, instead of just making it an excuse for why entire levels are made out of 3 tiles and 2 sprites excluding enemies. That's just lazy development and the whole NES thing is just an excuse.
> it actually would've fit perfectly within the NES output, theoretically.
Lol no it wouldn't, shovel knight can move on a pixel by pixel basis uncontested by pixel scalar vector, unless you have a 1920x1080 NES around shovel knight would never work on it.

>No, it's objectively ugly as fuck.
Use your words and explain how.

>I can name 30 games which actually make use of pixel art
Do it then. Prove you know something.

>Lol no it wouldn't, shovel knight can move on a pixel by pixel basis uncontested by pixel scalar vector
This goes right back to what I was saying about compromises. Imagine if Shovel Knight actually moved by 4.5 real pixel units instead of single pixel units. It'd be visually choppy and unappealing. He, like most moving objects, is a sprite anyway, so it makes sense he would have movement not specifically aligned to a grid.

>Do it then. Prove you know something.
Eastward.
/mic drop
Note how unlike shovel knight it actually has effort put into it, and doesn't look like shit as a result.
> It'd be visually choppy and unappealing
Like all NES graphics.
>so it makes sense he would have movement not specifically aligned to a grid.
That actually doesn't make any fucking sense you idiot, the whole point of your argument was the importance of making god damn sure it renders at shit resolutions.
It wouldn't render at shit resolutions, so the ONE thing it tries to do right it fails.

bitch this aint chipotle

>Funny shit happening in the face of stony seriousness is great
This, it's why certain episodes of the TF2 official comic were so good, and why the Meet the Team videos were so good, but when they did shit like "POOPY JOE XDDD" nobody was laughing

>/mic drop

Yeah, Eastward does look good. But that doesn't mean Shovel Knight looks like shit. Which was your original argument.

>Like all NES graphics.
I keep telling you to use your words and explain things using objective criticism. Geez.

>That actually doesn't make any fucking sense you idiot, the whole point of your argument was the importance of making god damn sure it renders at shit resolutions.
Actually, the whole reason I brought up integer scaling in the first place is so I could see if you knew what it was. You didn't. If the game were programmed to use movement units equal to its real pixel sizes, it could work at its virtual resolution.

By the way, I could easily have said that Eastward looks like hipster shit and by your logic, I would've been right.

>Nidhogg
>HURRR DOSE GRAFFIKS ARE SHITT DURRR INDIE PIXEL SHIT HURRHURHURDURR
>Nidhogg 2
>HURRR DOSE GRAFFIKS ARE SHITT DURRR INDIE PIXEL SHIT BUT WORSE HURRHURHURDURR

FTFY

>so I could see if you knew what it was. You didn't
Wow good job hipster here's a gold star.
If I really gave a fuck (which I didn't) I would have googled it.
>Eastward looks like hipster shit and by your logic, I would've been right.
Why, does it try to render based on standards from 30 years ago for the sake of being retro?
No. It just takes something that was limited 30 years ago and expands it to modern day beauty and art design. Even in that picture you can clearly tell it's some sort of abandoned train station, it has turnstiles, it has an old ticket booth, it has broken arcade machines.
Meanwhile all the levels in shovel knight are the same shit
>forest
>cave
>forest cave
>castle
WOW SO ORIGINAL
No castle props obviously, that would waste development time, nope just make the background bricks because that's how they'd save time and render cost in the fucking 80s
Lazy bullshit.

I genuinely wish you would kill yourself. Retards like you don't deserve to live. This world is full of great things, and the thought of you experiencing even one of them fills me with rage. If you were within five feet of me, I would beat you to death.

both of you, kys

Why, did I pull the nostalgia goggles off your face and make you realize shovel knight only looks the way it does because it saved development time?
Because unless I did you can go back to sniffing your own arts and appreciating how avant-garde and post-modern shovelknight is, by being hipster trash.

>shovel knight only looks the way it does because it saved development time
No, it looks the way it does because they went out of their way to make it look like an NES game. That was the whole point. Jesus, you're fucking dumb.

>Why, does it try to render based on standards from 30 years ago for the sake of being retro?
No reason. That was your logic.

And I hope you realize that world and level design is not the same as art.

Shovel Knight does have props also, it's just that most of them are interactive.

Can I kms after I fap? This ignorant chucklefuck keeps distracting me.

>implying that guy is me

What did he mean by this?

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I feel like I could make better executive decisions than most executives.

I dunno man, Game Grumps have made a career out of Dan and Arin sharing boring blog posts with each other, and then Arin apeing out if he dies three times to anything.

They went out of their way to make it look like an NES game because it saved time, instead of making good looking detailed assets they could always just cop out by saying "it looks like an NES game", which is true, except there was never a single good looking NES game so it was all just an excuse to throw together cheap looking low quality graphics and have nobody complain.
My logic is based on the fact that it's not the 1980s anymore, and games don't need to be limited by ancient technology for the sake of appealing to video game hipsters, especially when the end result is lazy looking.

Could it be that everyone who says "kys" is a sexually frustrated Danish person?

>They went out of their way to make it look like an NES game because it saved time
No, you fucking idiot, the entire reason Shovel Knight is even popular and the reason it got funded was because it was sold as an NES revival type of game. You're completely detached from reality.

>My logic is based on the fact that it's not the 1980s anymore, and games don't need to be limited by ancient technology for the sake of appealing to video game hipsters, especially when the end result is lazy looking.
See, that's how you explain your reasoning. Unfortunately though, you're still neither right nor wrong, because your criticisms are still based on personal feelings.

>They went out of their way to make it look like an NES game because it saved time, instead of making good looking detailed assets they could always just cop out by saying "it looks like an NES game", which is true, except there was never a single good looking NES game so it was all just an excuse to throw together cheap looking low quality graphics and have nobody complain.
You would know if you'd read the Gamasutra article I posted that none of what you said there is true. But you didn't read the article, obviously. You've said as much.

>lol they're just pixels
Fuck off.

>the reason it got funded was because it was sold as an NES revival type of game.
Yeah I can just imagine all the 30 year olds saying "hot damn finally I get to replay all those awful NES games"
No, it's just hipster trash, with a hipster gimmick that allowed for it to be pumped out over the course of a couple of weekends.
There was nothing good on the NES and the idea of making a game that appeals to people who likes NES games is laughable.

Western devs sure know how to make some of the ugliest designs in video games.

I can't even argue with you. You're living in alternate dimension. How much spraypaint have you huffed in your life?

>How much spraypaint have you huffed in your life?
How much have you sprayed in your eyes to make NES games look good?

Yes glorious Japan can never do anything wrong
Ever

I think I can make those characters with a Mr. Potato Head.

Dude, you have autism. You're incapable of thinking from other peoples' perspectives. You genuinely think because you don't like NES games that no one else does either. Thinking your thoughts are some kind of universal truth and being unable to accept other ones is a serious sign of autism. People eat retro styled games the fuck up, even the ones that look shittier than NES games. This is an objective fact.

Well you're not arguing with him, you're just insulting him. Unless you're deliberately pretending to be me, in which case, stop that.

On the other hand, judging by this he has nothing else to go off of. Finally I can go back to fapping to glorious 64-color palettes and sub 480p resolutions

user all I know for 100% certain is that shovel knight looks like lazy shit, it looks like something I could have thrown together in a few hours, and that does not bode well for a video game.
Sure I get it, I need to look at other people's perspectives.
But I just can't, I can't see how anyone could look at this and say "wow, 2/3rds of the screen is a tile repeating, that is some good looking shit" because it simply makes no sense, so I assume everyone defending this shit because of subjective reasons is an idiot or a hipster trying to be cool.

Earthworm Jim esc
The devs can do what they want
It's fine
/thread

Uhh no, people bitched about the broken netcode.

>it looks like something I could have thrown together in a few hours
Alright tough guy. Do it.

>The devs can do what they want
And we can criticize them for whatever they do, fuck you.

But it's not fine, have you not been reading the thread at all in addition to having no taste?

Give me kickstarter money first.

different user, just jumping in to inform you that you're the problem with this board. So, thanks. Don't trouble yourself to actually stop shitposting and act mature or anything, either.

Why, because I won't jump on the "lets suck shovelknight's dick" bandwagon?
Fuck off reddit, this isn't a circlejerk.

>Fuck off reddit
THERE IT IS

hypocrite

faggot

I don't care about your shitty opinions, I care about the fact that you resort to shitposting (like you did just now) instead of having an actual conversation. You are factually worse than the reddit boogeyman you cringe away from.

Pewdiepie bait artstyle

>I could do that in a few hours!
>alright do it
>UUUHHHH I CAN'T ACTUALLY DO IT
every time

Trying to appeal to kids now?

if neverhood came out today Cred Forums would scream and moan about it being twitch/youtuber bait

kill yourselves.

Autistic screaming? It's literally the screaming from the first game.

Wrong, most people here were excited for Amikrog until it came out and wasn't that good

Nope, no one had an issue with Amikrog

No they wouldn't

I don't expect an artstyle change, devs are usually hardheaded and has to take a financial hit from bad sales before anything happens.

>mfw stick figures look better than this

what the fuck is this shit
this whole context

What engine are they making it?

Why do indie devs hate criticism?

They always do this. They never say, oh shit maybe we're wrong.

Doubling down on bad decisions never works

upon losing sight of his prey, an anteater reenacts his favorite russell crowe movie

Saying "this is shit" is not criticism.

They're spoiled kids.

>Doubling down on bad decisions never works
Worst part is in indie game development it works more often than not.
Nothing makes people think you know what you're doing like telling everyone who thinks you don't know what you're doing to fuck off.

It's feedback from their playerbase and it's overwhelmingly negative. It's like if Samsung were to double down on their exploding phones and say "deal with it"

Thats a Tamandu I believe, they climb trees.

Missing the point. Simply saying "it's shit" and giving no feedback on how they could make it better helps nobody and only makes the situation worse.

Which is why they should try asking? They could try some other art styles and have a poll.

They never asked for feedback though and they have no interest in changing it.

Watch literally no one buy this because of how disgusting the art is.

I bet no one will be saying this then.

Why must women ruin the work of great men?

Why are indie devs so bad at PR?

>people don't like something
>WELL I'M THE DEV AND MY OTHER DEV TEAM FRIENDS LIKE IT SO WHO CARES LOL

Looks shit, but is Daedelus going to return to make the music for the sequel?

Holy shit, we're not telling you it's not the girls fault. We're telling you don't turn this shit into a witch hunt.

For fucks sake you're just doing it again. At any point mark could have put his foot down and said "no, I don't like the direction this is going." He didn't.

It's good PR

i would've liked... something more stylized and less... like what we have. I have something in mind but it's very difficult to describe.
Something darker in tone but still sprited. Make the backgrounds more detailed with more world building. Add different weapons (not fucking bows) and I would've liked it.

This is EXACTLY what's going to happen. Fucking stop you hopeless retards

the real question are why are gamers so entitled?

I'm glad the dev is aware that people who have opposite opinion on thing = haters

By world building, I mean little hints of what's going on. Of course that's not necessary because the appeal, at least for me, of nidhogg's style is the mystery of just what the fuck is happening. But I would've liked it.

I'm gonna clone the original Nidhogg and make a version with new features to capitalize on this mistake and the fanbase he left behind.

What can I add to the original game?

>pillow shading

Worst buzzword of all time

>loved nidhogg
>don't want to see it ruined
>thus I am a "hater"
Yeah that's fucking stupid, it's called constructive criticism you sheltered faggot.

Honestly the only thing I don't like is the player models and goofy sounds. Both of these things could be fixed and make it substantially more likable.

That is, unless you turn this into a witch hunt so the devs and every tumblrfag ever deflects the criticism as hate

Why are people saying the artist is a girl?

Isn't this clearly a dude's name? You know the kind with a penis?

spears? longswords? polearms?

Nevermind that messhof fucking hates this place. Why do you think he'd listen?

All you need to do is add a custom map editor, you will make so much fucking money.

Nobody said the artist is a girl, we're saying meshoff's girlfriend forced her way into nidhogg 2's development despite having nothing to do with nidhogg 1's development and decided to get some artist who made it look like shit.

GAME DEVELOPERS ARE NEVER WRONG! THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A BAD GAME! ALL GAMES ARE GREAT!

>Nidhogg thread hits the bump limit
I'm surprised. And somewhat disappointed that it's only because of a mistep.

>they made this abortion just to get people talking about it
LIKE A DAMN FIDDLE!

More than 2 decent maps. Nidhogg 1 would have been perfect if there was more than just castle and the occasional Wilds to break up the monoteny.

Also a couple more game modes couldn't hurt. Even just adding a "kill required to advance" modifier to the variants would mix it up so that you couldn't just sprint past your opponent every time

Fireballs.

Are you a fucking idiot?
I mean that wasn't even bait, it was clearly a joke.
>people who have opposite opinion on thing = haters
Fucking retarded shit head