Alrighty, Cred Forums. I'm about to start playing System Shock 2 for the first time...

alrighty, Cred Forums. I'm about to start playing System Shock 2 for the first time. I've picked it as my inaugural game to PC gaming as a long time consolefag and huge fan of BioShock.

Will this game rock my socks? What difficulty should I run?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_142HcqxExY
youtube.com/watch?v=pp5xGLj1RME
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

invest in hacking
use wrench as much as you can
don't waste ammo
standard weapons are all you need, other types are useless

It's less polished and far more clunkier than Bioshock.
Play in normal, choose Navy, hacking is SUPER FUCKING USEFUL in this game.

Am I going to get an actually creepy atmosphere this time around? Only Fort Frolic and the Medical Pavilion had a horror vibe in BioShock

It's overrated trash. Clunky design with overwrought RPG mechanics that overly simplify the immersive sim aspect. Terrible writing and voice acting. They couldn't even animate the weapons. You play as a glorified delivery boy. Every mission sequence is a fetch quest.

It's better than Deus Ex

youtube.com/watch?v=_142HcqxExY

youtube.com/watch?v=pp5xGLj1RME

You can invest in hacking as those guys say if tou want to, but you don't have to if you want to play a different style. Hacking is a very useful skill in this game though.

OH NO YOU DIDN'T

Normal difficulty for the first run
Marine class is the most versatile and straightforward. Navy focuses more on technology and energy weapons (imo not as useful). Psi is arguably the best class for all its potential and game-breaking abilities but save that for another time.
There are shit O/S Upgrades. Ones to avoid are Naturally Able, Pack Rat, Security Expert, Spatially Aware, Tinker, and maybe Strong Metabolism. The best in my opinion are Smasher and Lethal Weapon because you're going to be using a Wrench most of the game.
The game starts off slow but do not let that discourage you. This is one of the greatest games I've played in my life.

I agree with what he says but make sure to invest in Maintenance as well. It's very important.

this guy doesn't know what he's talking about

Its honestly hard for me to say which system shock I like more. SS1 and SS2 have different styles of gameplay but i greatly enjoyed both.

I wanted to like SS1 but I was only able to like it for its impact it had on the gaming industry.

I played SS2 first and was utterly disappointed

I played SS2 first also but that didn't hamper my experience. What was so dissapointing about it?

Sir? Where are you?

To be honest dead space is more of a spiritual continuation to system shock than bioshock.

>mfw i played a psi character and had pyro field

One of my favorite aspects of the system shock series is that it plays like a horror game but it doesnt have the soundtrack you expect from a horror game.

any infographics on this by /vg/ autismo?

Pick navy and play on hard. SS2 is not really tough at all.

you will piss your pants in terror and desperation.
all those tryhard horror games like F.E.A.R. etc are nothing compared to it.

All in my opinion:
>so much less atmospheric than SS2
>lot of the levels had goofy ass music
>enemies weren't as scary (some were fairly easy to kill)
>the plot wasn't told as well through the audio logs
>cyberspace was a bitch to navigate

The atmosphere and feel started to improve near end of the game. Also, I loved the rollerskates

It does almost everything Bioshock 1 does better. Only thing Bioshock improved was plasmids, most of the PSI powers are trash and you'll never need them unless you just want to challenge yourself by using points on them better spent elsewhere.

It's not perfect, it has flaws, but for your first play through focus on standard and maintenance at least and you'll have a good time.

This guy knows what he is saying.
However you can freely waste your shotgun ammo as it's fairly common if you scavenge it from enemies, do't be afraid to use it especially against stronger enemies and those assholes.
Wrench is good if you know what you are doing. Do not use wrench against bosses and large beaked creatures. Seriously.
Rifle is fucking awesome.
Nade launcher is awesome against robotic enemies. Don't hesitate to use it.
Every other weapon is shit.
Choose either master hacker or psi god. Protip: don't go psi god on your first playthrough.
Items persist on the ground, so you can keep your shit around elevators (but don't put stuff inside of them, may cause problems).

>all those tryhard horror games like F.E.A.R

FEAR is not a horror game. It's a straight up first person shooter.

Don't confuse atmosphere with genre you dumbcunt.

On that note, System Shock 2 is not a horror game either.

Yes. But don't go in expecting System Shock 2 to be a horror game. It's science fiction with a little bit of the spooks.

Bioshock is not a horror game either, SS2 and BS are about as "scary" as each other, which means not at all, just a little spooky atmosphere here and there.

Why do people confuse visual dressing for the fucking genre of the game? Games aren't films, genre of games is determined by gameplay, not by it's fucking window dressing art design.

That said, SS2 and FEAR are fucking great games and Bioshock is alright as well but BS2 is better.

>F.E.A.R.
>spooky
When I played this for the first time I thought all the shit was glitches
>mfw I was probably 11

underage

name one (1) game from 1999 or before then with good voice acting

Please help it's been months since I've played this. The doors locked and there don't seem to be any elevators on the previous level that lead to level 8. None of the emails seem to be any help either unless I'm just retarded

then ones without voice acting

You havent destroyed all the antennas have you?

Not him but system shocks really do have pretty fucking good VA

Blow up the radioactive core on Level R

I did. I remember blowing them all up and then Shodan telling me she's just going to crash herself into earth or something.

I'll try that

>tryhard horror games like F.E.A.R
>F.E.A.R
>this is a serious horror guys

What a shame, what a shame.

Shut up, Eli

>B-but I'm a massive pussy and this had one or two jump scares where the lights went out and a man spooked in my face so I am putting it on the same level as Fatal Frame!!!!

FEAR was honestly genius for using spooky little intermissions between the shooting as a pacing technique so that all the rooty tooty point and shooty didn't get old and tire you out from repetition. It allowed you to breath for a bit, then get all tense when a spooky sound played or a light flickers or a ghost ran by, even though nothing could harm you and it was purely a graphical effect and essentially a walking simulator in those segments, then suddenly you'd be thrown back into the action with more enemies to shoot.

I wish more games used unconventional visual aesthetics in genre's where it doesn't usually appear. FEAR is one of the greatest first person shooters ever made.

>genius spooky
especially when you're a guy with mutant adrenaline glands. sure

I meant in terms of using spooks for pacing.

I agree with you that it's not scary and not a horror game. But the visual aesthetics of horror can be interesting outside of horror.

From a gameplay perspective FEAR is the furthest thing from horror. I think the clash between the gameplay and some of the visual style is a neat contradiction that makes FEAR very interesting.

I wish more games would do this, but then of course your'd get dumbfucks complaining saying "FEAR DOESN'T KNOW WHAT IT WANTS TO BE!! IS IT HORROR OR A SHOOTER? WHY CAN'T IT BE BLAND AND BORING LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE!? I DON'T UNDERSTAND COMPLEXITIES!"

Samefag reporting. That I can agree with, user

So what are you blabbling about? I agree with you dumb fuck, FEAR aint no horor game and is not a tryhard horror game like says.

Settle down bitch

No need to be rude friend, I am just agreeing with your point. We seem to be at a misunderstanding.

Oh, Im sorry then

don't forget the basketball