Why do you hate motion blur?

Why do you hate motion blur?

I don't

It's an oppressive tool of the white capitalist patriarchy.

Are you joking?

Any movement makes the whole screen look muggy and indistinct. If you play at a decently high or stable framerate you don't need it anyway.

Some games like DooM 4 might have 'attractive' motion blur but it doesn't make it any better to play with.

>stable framerate
>consoles

It's unrealistic.

Because your brain already has motion blur when pixels are moving too fast, adding LAYERS of artificial motion blur to that just leaves headache fuel.

Because it gives me motion sickness

i don't hate it. i hate the way devs use it. i can handle it in a racing game i mean you're going super fucking fast so it makes sense.

if i am playing a 3rd person game, and i move the camera a little to the right, there's no fucking reason why there should be motion blur. it's all about context IMO. and it should be used sparingly. what does motion blur do well? it communicates a sense of kinetics and speed. so you should only really use it when it's appropriate.

Can someone explain to me why video games and movies have motion blur but no one has ever experimented with static blur?

I literally don't even notice it when playing 99% of the time.

i love it senpai

>he's actually this retarded

There's nothing physically moving on your screen stupid

I'm fucking dying

How stupid can you be

Motion blur is used to reduce headaches, the sides of the screen in FPS and racing need to be blurred slightly to make sense for the brain.

It's literally what your brain does every day.
Have you never driven a car?

This, but exactly the other way around.

>your brain already has motion blur when pixels are moving too fast
HAHAHAHAHAHA my sides

>play most games on pc during the last gen
>always turn off filter shit and motion blur
>go to friend's house and play some games on console
>ALL that motion blur in EVERY game to cover up the shit frame rate

jesus christ how did people stand for this for how many years? 6? 7?

Console faggots also say they can't see the difference between 30 and 60 FPS. What else do you want from them?

Gives me a headache if it's too bad.

>I'm not autistic I swear, it is the majority that is wrong

Motion blur is like shitty concealer makeup.
Mascara is like AA

motion blur is fuckin awful

Only if it's done wrong. Slight motion blur on big screens is great.

The only time motion blur bothers me is if the game is freezing/stuttering or in screenshots

I guess that's why PCucks are getting so triggered by it :^)

Yes, it has a bad reputation because it's used on consoles to cover up the shitty framerate and graphics.

Maybe in a racing game, only if it adds a sense of speed somehow.

Otherwise turn it off. Its a feature used to boost FPS by lowering rendering. If I can run the game at stable 60+ without it, I'd rather be able to quickly identify what i'm looking at when turning. IE FPS

Came here to say this, games with motion blur and other shitty filters are like women with too much make up

The way 7th gen utilized post-processing, especially bloom/motion blur/depth of field so poorly, left me sort of traumatized and ever since I mostly look for sharp textures and models over effects.

i don't

>PCucks
Nice one. 2/8

>Mascara is like AA
Do people who disable font ""smoothing"" get points for good taste?

When you're focused on one unmoving object and everything else is moving you're already going to experience some motion blur, you don't need a shitty post-processing effect making 90% of your screen look like a smudge of shit and wasting processing power, all that accomplishes is hiding terrible graphics.

Why can't you post a fucking image that isn't half a monitors resolution, or a 1/4 for each side. Fuck

Thanks for your insightful contribution.

>Its a feature used to boost FPS by lowering rendering.

Nope, rendering a motion blurred frame is as expensive as a normal frame.

I hate my brain.

This.
I've had my share of smeared, oversaturated glowing shit for 2 lifetimes.
Looks like chromatic abberation will be next.

Camera Motion Blur? Awful.
Object Motion Blur? Awesome.

Motion blur is a console thing, I don't like it because my graphics aren't shit nor are they rendered at a terrible framerate, requiring motion blur to hide everything.

Hate? No
Dislike? Yes
Most the times i just turn it off since therei s no big point for it when you got 60FPS or more anyway.
Would love if more game used a HQ Motion Blur tho like Forza does.
If you enforce your shitty Blur then at least use a quality one with tons of samples

>When you're focused on one unmoving object and everything else is moving you're already going to experience some motion blur
In 3D space, yes, but on a 2D screen? Nope.

Go back to school boy.

>graphics aren't shit

You're on PC so of course they are

because it serves to practical purpose

I don't mind motion blur in a more subtle and less annoying ways, but I do mind it when it takes up the majority of the screen and makes it harder to see what is going on.

Nice bait faggit

All those console games look like shit, I don't know what you're trying to prove.

Because it serves no positive purpose, only positive thing you can say is that it makes lower framerates seem smoother but at 60fps it serves only to smear the imagery and if you think that smearing a clear, sharp image is a good thing you are a retard with no taste that actively likes to hamper the gaming experience.
>but but muh cinematic experience!

And those PC games sure look great huh?

>not wanting a realistic look

0 motion blur looks totally un-natural, it does get overused sometimes, but having a car whip by at 200mph with no blur just looks dumb as shit

>The gaming experience
You sound like you never shave.

This.

The brain does not work that way.

At 60 FPS the motion vectors will be smaller and each frame is on the screen for less time so you wont notice it anyway. At high frame rate, there's barely any reason to turn it off unless you love taking screenshots while swinging the camera around.

Move your hand side-to-side rapidly in front of you. Tell me there's no blur.

Welcome to Cred Forums, logic does not apply

Motion blur is an effect created by the shutter speed of a camera, humans do not see motion blur.

If you think it is in any way shape or form "realistic" you need to see a doctor because your brain is broken.

See

Motion-blur in human eyes is called an afterimage. I recommend you go learn about it since it's essentially the same thing.

>baiting this hard

/thread

Overusing it is shit though.

It's usage in video game emulates motion blur in a camera though.

If something is moving really fast in a video game you don't need to artificially render motion blur on top of it to be motion blurred to the person playing.

>motion blur
>depth of field

turn them both off instantly immediately

>If something is moving really fast in a video game you don't need to artificially render motion blur on top of it to be motion blurred to the person playing
Wat

In some cases. When it's more subdued and make only certain things blur and not the whole damn screen every time you move it every so slightly.

99% of cases I will turn it off along with a heap of other post processing shit.

Pc already surpassed graphics forever with crysis, now we can focus on gameplay while you're busy getting rehashes and remakes with marginally less shit graphics.

Best bait in this thread so far.

>Wave hand in front of face really fast
>Image is motion blurred naturally

>Render a black dot moving really fast from side to side on a monitor

Rendering motion blur on top of that only makes sense at low frame rates.

Underage and b&
Get the fuck out of here you idiots

It gives me a headache in almost everygame, but i'm prone to migraines anyway.

The problem is, it's not.

Unless you use a really shitty monitor.

Daily reminder if you have an LCD monitor and are not using Backlight Strobing, then everything you display has motion blur and you cannot turn it off. Enjoy.

In all honesty motion blur is mostly used to make still screenshots more "lifelike", looking more like they were taken with an actual camera.

In racing games I think it works in-game too, as long as it's not overdone, and it also helps in obscuring details from the game world which is often lacking in favor of giving the cars more detail. Now, whether that's a good or a bad thing is another issue.

Anything else beyond that is either just pushing it, or due to my first point.

how fucking dumb can you be? there's no motion, it's just pictures of the dot in different points on the screen. Do you not know how animation works at all?

>the order
>game

>having a car whip by at 200mph with no blur just looks dumb as shit
I disagree I think it gives an even better sense of speed when you can clearly see what's around you zipping by.
Who cares if there's motion blur, who cares what' realistic, does it help the gameplay? When a fast moving enemy get blurry does this help you aim at it? No.
When playing a fighting game not being able to tell exactly where your opponents position or attack is help you play? No.
When moving around an arena at high speed does blurring the environment and surroundings help you navigate precisely? No.
All you people that are arguing for motion blur are merely saying you like the way it looks, which is the most important thing when playing a game right? My ass.
Or because it's realistic, boy I sure love this bullshit reasoning when it comes to games, that games should be realistic, what utter crap.

Don't be so hard on them, they are the reason I even come to Cred Forums, it's funny as hell if people are seriously so dumb and don't just try to bait.

>Who cares if there's motion blur, who cares what' realistic, does it help the gameplay?
Majority of people's brain do, they get headaches without it.

>game has motion blur and screen shaking

Object-based motion blur (a barrel flies across the screen and is blurred) is just fine, but screen space motion blur is a fucking cancer. I want a clear image at all times so I can actually see what the fuck is happening around me, not this smudged bullshit when I rotate my view as slowly as possible.

What is the consensus on motion blur in racing games?

This
And lens flare, bloom, chromatic aberration, most forms of AA, etc.

>New PC games
>Choose's the ones that were released 3+ years ago

Are you really THAT desperate?

good taste user.

You're a literal retard who doesn't understand the basic concept of animation.

I just want to be able to see what's happening on the screen, is that so much to ask?

exactly, there's no pc exclusive games since 3 years ago

I do the same thing with most games, unnecessary, obscuring, resource heavy effects that only serve to make your screen look like it has a coat of vaseline.

See, the thing is, like the first guy I quoted, real life doesn't have native motion blur, your eyes makes up one. Like a video game does, it makes one up. The difference is tho, is real life doesn't go at 60 FPS. Not even a billion of that is irl FPS. So in other words, motion blur in games is suppose to be what motion blur in real life, but at 60 FPS, where irl millions of "frames" go pass your eyes, which happens so fast, makes a "blur" effect. No blur at 60 FPS will look weird because you're seeing a clear image at a speed where it shouldn't appear so natively.

Good bait

This one

Object motion blur is fine though

Only from tuomov.

If I have tearing in a game, I use motion blur to hide the tearing so I wouldn't have to use v-sync.

Racing games also work well with motion blur.

Humans do see motion blur, but your brain blocks some visual information when you move your eyes so you don't notice it.

That's because you're focused on the road and everything else looks smeared because it's in your shitty peripheral vision, you literal dumbshit. Focus on a tree on the side of the road while driving 100mph and holy shit it's not blurry at all anymore.

Motion blur badly imitates focus and peripheral vision because you have no choice in what you want to focus on.

The only people who hate motion blur are PC peasants who buy monitors with >10ms response times.

It is "motion", it's just discrete motion unlike the (supposedly) continuous motion we're used to in real life.

As the number of samples (frames per second) increase, the more continuous the blurring effect will appear. That said it would take an absurdly high framerate before the effect started to appear continuous.