Aside from the story, why does Final Fantasy 8 get so much shit? At the very least, it was a lot better than 7

Aside from the story, why does Final Fantasy 8 get so much shit? At the very least, it was a lot better than 7.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jnM5z0gwyHI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The story is the reason for it getting so much shit and it's well-deserved in my opinion. As far as the rest, I wouldn't say it's better or worse than 7, but it was something different and I appreciate that. I would honestly like to see the junction system come back again but less game-breaking.

the combat sistem is trash
>GFs are HP sponges
>Magic is useless used alone (except Triple, Meltdown and Aura)
>All you need is spam Aura on Squall/Irvine/Zell andd gg

still my favourite FF though

I loved it when I was 15 because I was a weird lonely creepy kid.
Now that I'm 29, I refuse to play it out of fear of shattering the nostalgia goggles.

Quistis was the starting point of my girls in glasses fetish

Drawing magic

> inb4 a herd of min-max shitters say you can use cards

You can but who fucking knew that until you unlocked it from the relevant GF countless hours in to the game

>it 's the ff8 autist again
Since you don't want story criticism since there's obviously so much wrong with it let's talk about the other main part of the game
The battle system is the least fun of any jrpg ever since the junction system turns the game into mindlessly mashing X through random battles until you get encounter none and then it turns into only boss battles, the few puzzles are brain dead and boring, the only good thing about the game is the soundtrack and triple triad

I liked that summoning was a lot more useful than magic. Cast was nice too. But, the gameplay in general needed to be more refined, junctioning was too grindy.

The story is such a boooooorefest i quit playing after defeating edea

You can also refine items into magic. You don't need cards at all.

because it was different and everyone here hates change

no it wasnt' the combat system was awful. Music is only for the diehard fans of this game.

>it's a Spoonytards sperg out and showcase their inability to comprehend FF8, even on a surface level thread
GG, OP. These threads always make it easy to weed out the retards.

They created a nice world with lovely music and a good enough story (especially as a kid), so I get enjoyment out of it. FF7 is the better overall game, but FF8 did a lot of the stuff well that people play FF for.

levelling system is stupid.

story is slow and boring.

graphics are good, world is okay.

too many pointless tedious factors built into the entire games progression.

>FF8 fags' only line of defense is going "m-muh spoony!!!"
kek

It certainly isn't better than 7 except for maybe the music.

The two main reasons why it gets so much shit for it and deservedly so IS the story. If not the story then certainly the junction system.

>It certainly isn't better than 7 except for maybe the music.
The graphics are better, but other than that? Nah.

Gameplaywise it's shit, because the more optimally you play, the less you interact with the game. And since the gameplay is uncomfortable, this is also preferable. At least when XII was fully automated and non-interactive it wasn't out of fear that the alternative gameplay was hellish, just extremely boring.

Enc-None, Card-refine, Limit Break spam, stocking instead of casting magic, you're rewarded for not leveling etc. It's funny without GF you can only attack, but with fully decked GF you can only attack.

Nevertheless in terms of the five worst things about the game, the order is this: The attempt to turn every RPG custom on its head as a new standard, artificiality of the world/mechanics, the combat, the story/characters and the pacing/progression.

In it's purest form and ideal it's an anti-game.

It marked the beginning of the end of the series. FF became more about hair styles and romance and ridiculous outfits than it did about fantasy or role playing.

*its

Dammit.

only thing I hate about it is the "slow" pace of disc one. I thoroughly enjoy the game after that. I don't think it deserves as much shit as it gets. there are a lot of cool and unique things about it.

People who played FF7 bought this one too.

Seriously FF7 brought in a lot of casuals/normalfags. Luckily JRPGs are no longer mainstream.

Well the story is kinda shitty and the junction system and drawing is boring grind at its worst and very easy to break. Also enemies scaling to your level.

>because it was different and everyone here hates change
They were on to something and missed it. No one gives a shit that it was science fiction time traveling. They don't like it because it's written like a jr high fan fiction and the combat is boring and broken.
You get a ton of HP advantage in the game because you're under the expectation to sit there and waste turns on Draw. They should have just made it to where you can only draw a few times per battle or monsters can release magic charges upon death

>i like a final fntasy game
>oh yeah!? well i like THIS final fantasy game!

whew, glad we that got sorted.

Because pic related.

The people who hate it haven't played it.

jrpgs are shit though, they have done anything interesting for years, that's probably why

The GF that refined magic was Quetzacotl or however you spell it. You pull him out of your computer inbox first thing in the game.

FUCKING faggot.

wrong post, meant to reply to this FAGGOT

If you were to fix the "enemies level with you" design flaw, the game would be redeemed.

I get what you're saying, though. You're right - it is and antigame.

the only good thing ff8 did is the OST, everything else is trash

>a lot better than 7

in what way? the story and gameplay are far worse

You have no idea how glad I am that you say that.

I don't want folks like you anywhere near JRPGs. Go play Overwatch.

No offense.

8 has the best gameplay of any FF game, here's a (You).

you didn't even try

you were supposed to just say it's better than 7 to make your bait appear legitimate, now you just look like a newfag from reddit with that poor bait

pacing

out

sentences

(You)

>can't use a potion in your pocket without a supernatural demon living inside your brain telling you how

>can't use a powerful spell without worrying about your stats

Using a spell or two has very little effect on anything and you can easily get all of that back by the tenfolds.

Think of it as fatigue.

>Aside from the story, why does Final Fantasy 8 get so much shit? At the very least, it was a lot better than 7.
>At the very least, it was a lot better than 7.
Fuck, man. I actually like 8, but you're gonna cause problems if you say stupid shit like this.

Why do you think it was "a lot better than 7"?

Did you think the story/visuals/sound/combat marked a significant improvement? In what way?

>get max items in chocobo world and get doomtrain in cd2 :^)
too bad i didnt have pocketstation till few years ago

I didn't think I was recognizable, I haven't made this exact same thread in like a month

Visuals, ost, combat system were all much better, just to name a few things

I didn't even know what it really was before the Steam version, it's pretty shitty but kinda cool.

5 > 9 > 4 > 7 > 1 > 6 > 12 > 3 > 10 > 13 > 8 > 2

I wish the FF2 remakes brought it up to par with the SaGa games. I would actually be able to say 8 is the worst FF if that happened.

>1 over 6
What the fuck is it amateur hour up in here or what?

I mean 1 is just 6 without the story, characters, locations, customization, fun combat, good pacing, graphics, music, replay value, loot, secrets and sidequests.

nice meme list

9 > 6 > 10 > 7 > the rest > 8 > 13 > 2

>1 is just 6
This is completely not true, they're not alike at all

I really think I only like 1 so much because of nostalgia. I've replayed it so many times that I can't put it any lower.
I'm also not the biggest fan of 6. It's a good game, but it really does fall apart in the WoR

This cunt singlehandedly ruined the game for me. Well that and the level scaling. And the junction system. And the laughably retarded TWEESTS certainly don't help,

why do so many FF games shit themselves half way through?

WoR, FFV after gulaf, FF4 after paladin cecil, FF 8 after disc 2 are all examples

She is adorable and tfw you will never get a cute gf (girlfriend, lol) like her, you shouldn't be calling her by names.

>FFV after Galuf
I agree that it gets worse but I definitely wouldn't say it shits itself
>FFIV after paladin Cecil
Now this is wrong. I'd say FF4 has consistent quality the whole way through

havn't played FF4 in a while so you may be right

Thank god because I'd probably kill myself if I had to spend the rest of my life with that abomination.

Wrong, she is awesome.

Also her theme is one of the finest pieces of music in the entire FF franchise.

youtube.com/watch?v=jnM5z0gwyHI

i got pocket station right out when it was released, i was the coolest kid in town for two years down until no games supports it.
It's basically a glorified memory card.

lol.

>It's basically a glorified memory card
Yes, I think that's where Sega got the idea for VMU's for the Dreamcast.

>Visuals, ost,
Better presentation, okay. Personally, I find the soundtrack between 7 and 8 to be pretty comparable.
>combat system were all much better, just to name a few things
How so? Combat actually IS the game, so...
Did the Junction System represent an improvement? How? Drawing Magic?
It's been a while since I played either 7 or 8, but I recall that one of my gripes with 8 is that it didn't do a very good job of teaching it's systems. I also recall making a breakthrough at one point and immediately destroying everything in my path for the rest of the game.

Was that supposed to impress me?

Yes, the OST of FF8 is pretty amazing, but then again so is the rest of the game.

>tfw GF's causing amnesia is a silver lining because despite all the fucked up shit Squall goes throughout the game he'll slowly forget them over a period of time

I enjoyed ff8.

I spent like 4 hours grinding draws in the first area and was OP for the rest of the game, so I could sit back and enjoy becoming the god king of triple triad.

The story was 7/10 as far as most jrpgs go and 6/`0 compared to most final fantasy games.

I really liked the designs though.

Come on.
>best Ifrit
>best Shiva
>best Bahamut
>best Odin
>best almost every recurring summon
>Doomtrain

When little me fought seifer and he cut Odin in half and when Gilgamesh finished him off I was at 2000% hype.

With respect to all people who didn't enjoy ff8, fuck you, it is my opinion your opinion is dumb and gay.

>The story was 7/10 as far as most jrpgs go and 6/`0 compared to most final fantasy games.

doesn't make sense considering FF games usually have shitty stories and are only ever OK at best. The actual scale of FF8 is a 2/10 story, 3-4/10 compared to other FF games

Magic is underpowered and a hassle to draw.