>"I believe we made the most beautiful thing in the world."

Ken Kutaragi on the design of the PS3, 2005

>"The Xbox 360 is more of an Xbox 1.5 than a next generation console."

Ken Kutaragi on the design of the competition, 2005

”>Did you see the movie 'The Matrix'? Same interface. Same concept.”

Ken Kutaragi on the online capabilities on the upcoming PS3, 2005

>”PS3 is 4D”

Ken Kutaragi, 2006

">This time, Microsoft has stated clearly that it is going after the PlayStation. However, they're going not after the PlayStation 3, but the PlayStation 2. They were looking at 2, and that's why Xbox 360 became like that."

Ken Kutaragi explains Microsoft’s lack of ambition with the 360, 2005

>”Xbox is 1.5, the PS is more than what I was expecting, so it's 3.5. That's the difference."

Ken Kutaragi explains the difference between the PS3 and 360, 2005

>”We're not going to equip the PS3 with an HDD by default, because no matter how much capacity we put in it, it won't be enough.”

Ken Kutaragi on why he was hesitant to include a hard drive, 2006

>"PS3 is for consumers to think to themselves 'I will work more hours to buy one"

Ken Kutaragi, 2005

Other urls found in this thread:

eurogamer.net/articles/news311005ps3120
eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-final-fantasy-13-2-face-off
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>>"It’s probably too cheap…"
>Ken Kutaragi on the $499/599 PS3, 2007

They took a $200 lost on every PS3 sold

You are missing where he said 4K and 120fps would be possible on PS3.

I wish I was on Cred Forums during the PS3's early years, when it was bombing so, so hard.

eurogamer.net/articles/news311005ps3120
He actually did it the absolute madman.

And that was all because of his retarded obsession with the cell processor, don't forget his original plan was two have two cell processors for the CPU and GPU for the PS3 and his employees had to go over his head to his superiors which is taboo as fuck to do in Japan and had to basically beg on their hands and knees for a dedicated graphics processor

The original 60gb PS3 is a beautiful system.

The reliability, aging controller design, and lacking OS let it down

And what did the cell cpu acomplish? making the ps3 impossible to emulate?

>beautiful system
It really is. I think dropping the shiny PLAYSTATION 3 lettering when they designed the Slim was a step down

even to this day I still dont know what exactly is Cell CPU

Jack and shit. Thing was so disagreeable that 360 had better versions of multiplats despite being technically weaker.

U.S. Army made a super computer out of ps3s iirc

For some reason he thought cell processors would be the future of computing and would be in every device in the future, that didn't happen and all we got was a console that was a nightmare to develop for

That's because the ps3 was the cheapest machine with a POWER processor

But what made it so hard to develope games for and perform worse?

It was very good for one particular type of number crunching. Nothing immediately useful for games, and since they were still riding the PS2 high they figured they would just put it out and developers would work their asses off coming up with a way to put all that processing power to use.

Can you explain further? I don't fully understand

Not that user, not even that good at computers.

"Number crounching" means doing a lot of complicated math operations, in video games that doesn't matter because for a game the machine has to: 1. run different unrelated operations ie graphics, sound, mechanics. 2. running all of those operations at the same time and therfore the cpu has to rotate very fast beatween them or atleast being able to multitask, that means optimizing a game for a cpu like the ps3 had is like taking a shirt thread by thread and making it pass through a whole then assambling it again.

And everyone lapped it up.
This madman is worse than Todd Howard, but no one calls him out on it.

Because he's right

Is it still ok to buy a ps3 in the current year?
t.never had any console

>"Did you see the movie 'The Matrix'? Same interface. Same concept.”
>Ken Kutaragi on the online capabilities on the upcoming PS3, 2005

What did he mean by this?

No seriously what the fuck does that even mean

Cool looking haxor interface with tons of neat stuff going on I guess. The Matrix was still cool around that time.

I personally enjoy going through and playing anime and niche fighting games for funsies so a PS3 was a no brainer, plus other jap games.

Other then that no.

Holy shit, never fucking post on anything programming related ever again.
That shit was retarded.

Actual developer here.
Number crunching is what MOST Games do.
Why the FUCK do you think all GPUs come with programmable cores?
Programmable cores are literally what the SPEs were in CellBE. (better, even, since local memory, but Sony cheaped out on it and only went 256k instead of 512k)

The processor had 6 cores for doing tasks in parallel.
That doesn't include the main PPE core.
It could also have 3 tasks on each clockwise and counterclockwise interconnect, which went optimized for allowed for some insanely complex games.

The only idiots that thought PS3 was hard to develop for were shit devs and people that have never touched mutlicore in their life.
Once they got over their single-threaded mind, it becomes FAR FAR superior to shitty single-threaded development.
Seriously, single thread is fucking terrible. Thank fuck it is dying off more and more these days than it was 10 years ago.

Cell failed because IBM are a fucking shit company and let both Cell and Power die.
Even Apple ditched them for x86, a technically inferior architecture at the time.

No, it's dying and no new full games will come out for it anymore
t. only has a PS3 and won't buy a PS4 because muh subscription service

I only want to buy it so that I can afford lots of cheap games for it and I'm new to gaming so I don't really know what games would enjoy so I would like experimenting with the ps3.

PS2 had a better library.

That was Jason Rubin of Naughty Dog who demanded a proper GPU. He handed in his resignation before the PS3 shipped because of the backlash from the SCEI team.

360 had a 20% better GPU and a unified 512MB RAM/32EDRAM buffer compared to the split 256/256 buffer in the PS3. 360 was always going to have better multiplats. Especially on engines like Unreal 3 and MT Framework that really made use of the EDRAM buffer. PS3 only ever had a better CPU and was assfuck retarded in every single way otherwise.

And yet all multiplatform games performed worse. Are you telling me that ALL developers in the world are bad? If all the developers in the world couldnt make that shit work, then maybe, it was the cell who was bad.

They ddi?

Are you sure about that?

There were plenty of games that performed better when they were developed on PS3 first.

The reason for this is the PS3 FORCED developers to write code without branches, which means there is no overhead from branching code prediction.
CPUs only run as hot as they do BECAUSE they have such stupid amounts of branch prediction.
They don't even need all that shit, it just became a shit meme in the processor industry that has gotten out of control.
If you were to scale ARM up to similar capability of x86 (which they can't because actual patent abuse), it would be far superior.
x86 is the worst.

After a few years, multiplat games massively scaled in favour of PS3.

I'm not some shitty fanboy btw, I actually liked the eDRAM idea on 360, even though they eventually lied their assess off about 360 being 1080p capable when a 1080 frame can't even fit in the damn buffer.

And once Octopiler came out for PS3, it gave all those shitdevs a way to make games because they could emulate their inferior coding skills by emulating branch prediction over the SPEs.

The biggest hater of Cell, Carmack, even went a 180 on his whining when he got over his ego and drama faggotry.

Cell in PS3 was horribly gimped, but it was still technically better than 360s.
And the proof was there for all to see when games continued to get more technically brilliant on PS3 whereas most games on 360 ended up getting gimped. (fucking hell FF13 lmao)

The cell wasn't bad once Sony threw resources at it to make it run better. The GPU and memory was just significantly weaker and slower than the 360, especially things like trying to fit the render buffer in and lighting effects taking a massive hit. The FPS was also a shit show in the first few years because Cell was poorly documented by Sony using Kutaragi's retarded assembler language.

And even then. The 360's Tri-Core could easily handle complex games on its CPU. So could Wii with it's hacked together

Square admitted they rushed the 360 port of Crystal Tools and FF13 because of less time compared to the years they had on PS3. When XIII-2 and Lightning Returns came out as same day releases. 360 had way better lighting, texturing and FPS.

But then you are a fanboy because you are bitter to this day about the Cell. Multiplats were gimped on 360 to help PS3 development even when they started on PS3 (Remember GRID? Sony paid Codemasters to develop the engine and the game first for PS3. It still ran and looked better on 360) and it continued till 2013.

Fuck off Tim Lewinson (And pay your child support, BishopTL)

Every single multiplat that I ever played ran better on the 360. I can't think of a single instance of one running better on PS3

>his original plan was two have two cell processors for the CPU and GPU for the PS3

How much would a PS3 like this have cost?

>other FFXIII sequals looked better.

Yes. Sure.
Those fucking jaggies m9.
eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-final-fantasy-13-2-face-off
Not even going to go on to that disaster 3rd.

Try harder.
I don't give a shit about Sony or IBM.
Also, protip, Cell was the foundation for modern GPU (and APU) design. Go fuck yourself.
That in spite of IBM being massive retards.
Sony and Toshiba made more contribution to Cells development than they did.

Yeah, because half the fucking games were running at sub 720 resolutions and had lax texture control, which is why pop-in was a regular problem on 360, even WITH games installed to drives.

Holy FUCK Rage, probably the worst example, although even PS3s had pretty bad pop-in as well, but holy shit it was far more noticeble on 360s version)

probably 50$ more

didn't they surprise him being "intimate" with a guy not long after having left sony?

>"I'm not a Sonygger!"
>"LOOK AT THESE 360 VERSIONS REEEEEEEEEEEEE! POWER OF THE CELL!"

Kek. Still bitter, Timmy.

>"Yeah, because half the fucking games were running at sub 720 resolutions and had lax texture control"

So why was Mortal Kombat 9 running 640P on 360 and 576P on PS3 with way worse FPS drops on PS3? Or Ghostbusters the game running 540P on PS3 when the 360 version was 720P?

Bringing up RAGE is bullshit, that game had texture streaming issues and shit even on most computers of the time (and probably even still now), and the texture decompression bullshit the engine needed to do gave the PS3 the upper hand since it's probably the one gaming related application that's trivial to parallelize.

I've got no experience with either of those, so I can't be objective in commenting on either.

All I know for absolute certain is a large number of multiplats eventually got gimped on 360 because most devs moved to PS3 dev first since it gave them more legroom.

That FF13-2 example is a really good example, and especially a good example of one of the major downsides of global MSAA on the daughter die for the GPU, it blurred without prejudice: that meant all fine details and particles were blurred in to a banded, smudged mess.

... but the Cell was shit even IN its time. Even I'm one to admit that.
Sony gimped the shit out of the original ideas they had.
If they never, maybe it would have been superior even at the time.

Megatextures could easily be ran in parallel quickly back then on PCs.
A large part of the megatextures code was only running on a single core on PS3. Just because it had 6 cores doesn't mean you can just assign them all to one task. Rage wouldn't have even been able to run at all if they did that.
The advantage of the SPEs was being able to stream code and data to them at the same time, 3 times per cycle. That is why it eventually jumped ahead when devs squeezed every cycle out.

He was right
>in the original script, machines uses human minds as a super computer for processing
>the military eventually used a bunch of PS3s as a super computer for processing

>It was very good for one particular type of number crunching. Nothing immediately useful for games

you are very wrong. the 8 SPEs where designed to do pretty much the same thing the 2 vector engines on the ps2 did: graphics processing. The problem was that each one of the had its own memory pool, which was pretty small too, and had to be fetched individually. Eventually sony made things easier for devs by releasing more and more abstract dev tools, when the original idea was that devs would work pretty much on bare metal, at least compared to the 360, in order to take advantage of the more "granular" architecture. Eventually this wasn't the best design choice for that age. The dualism CPU + GPU was coming up for consoles and microsoft foresaw this. Their 360 processor where just three PowerPC cores of the cell slapped together (the cell only had one, plus 8 SPEs), coupled with a big and advanced gpu. Pretty much the same design of nowadays consoles. The age of custom console hardware and exotic design was about to gone that very days. Sony didn't see this, and preferred going with an arch which is pretty similar to the ps2 at the end of the day.

>For some reason he thought cell processors would be the future of computing and would be in every device in the future

this isn't quite wrong. the intel cpu you can find in a notebook nowadays isn't just a cpu: it's a cpu with a integrated gpu, video decoder, audio, video controller, i/o controller. that's called a system on a chip. same thing for a smarthphone. the cell in a way was going this route: many processing engines each one assigned (in theory) with a certain job. it was pretty visionary for 2005.

>ghostbusters
lmao. You posted a game that was horribly coded even on 360, never mind PS3s horrific port.
That game was a shitshow, period.

MK was also on Unreal3, the worst version of the engine that was ever made.
I don't think there has been a single person that has ever liked UE3. It was very poor effort on Unreals part. I have no idea what they were thinking when they made that engine.
Fucking, why is everything so shiny, fuck.
It was also massively fucked with, engine-wise, they removed a lot of sub-systems and changed things around. So who knows what that could have possible done on top.
UE3 just didn't scale well at all. UE4 is far better though. Thank fuck.

Saying UE3 is good is like those diehard Valve fanboys that still think Source Engine is good.
Source Engine was shit IN ITS OWN TIME, never mind now.
Every engine of the time was better.
>b-b-but muh physics gun
That physics engine was hacks on hacks.
You could crash the damn thing just by putting 0 weights.
No wonder barely any fucking mods came out for it. Any that did took a damn decade, came out buggy and were dropped by the devs, or had some turbo autist developing it.
Thank christ Valve are making Source2. Hopefully this time they won't slap hacks upon hacks in it like with Source. No wonder it takes them forever to make games, it sucks that bad.

Wasn't so much eventually. It was initially that the "bare metal" approach was bad because devs had no clue.
People got more comfortable as time went on. A few years in, there were no complaints.
Microsoft even patched 360 to allow more bare-metal coding to try catch up. It only added an extra year for good devs.