RTS thread? RTS thread

What're you playing right now, user? I'm personally going through the campaigns for Age of Empires 2.

Will the genre ever not be dead again?

Playing long sessions of Age of empires 2 and Age of wonders 2 shadow magic at the moment. Fucking four hours long games where we always team up against a high difficulty CPU and we defeat it through the power of friendship.

Rise of nations with my friends, sometimes we play aoe2 too. We never play against ourselves tho, only against the AI.

Just finished a SoaSE match.

Large galaxy was a mistake. I actually won yesterday, but the mopup took so long I decided to go for research victory instead.

Also, Age of Empires I on steam fucking when

So what's the consensus on Cossacks 3?

Never played the series before but I'm interested in any RTS games still releasing in this day and age. Does it focus on base building and economy a lot? Or is it more a skirmish-focused kinda game?

Just finished a coh2 match. Played against some guy who got really anally frustrated about me getting multiple sturmpios instead of volks, going overwatch commander for a change of pace and that I didn't follow the meta.
He got trashed of course.

Any AoE2 GoT fags here?

those 4 hour games used to kill me but damn they were fun

First of all, the state of the game as of now is that it is mostly fixed up and has stable online. The launch was a mess.
We are basically just waiting for some minor fixes and the free DLC.

Generally, Cossacks can be both of those, depending on what starting settings you pick (peace time of 0 to I think 45 minutes, ressources from 1k to 1kk, 18 peasants of a few dozen). Since there are 6 different ressources eco is a rather heavy aspect of the game and generally you will need a strong base to recruit huge armies. (Though if you want huge armies play with peace time, no pt settings usually result in smaller skirmishes.)
But you can also play a game of russian rush if that's what you want.

I must warn you though: the game isn't lying when it says it's oldschool. Stuff like the online interface for example would have been outdated 15 years ago. But you won't have problems finding games and the base game is a lot of fun, so I'd say go for it.

That actually sounds fucking ideal tbqh.

Thoughts on the developers likely DLC practices? You mention free ones, but considering the 20 buck pricetag I'd kind of expect they're aiming to do expansions over time or something - which'd be perfectly fair in my books, considering said pricetag.

How bad is Red alert 3? I know it's not as bad as the nail in the coffin.
How does it match up to RA2, and Tib Wars 3?
I wanna play through it, but i'm hesitant

Fuck you OP. Lets talk about, for the 900th time, why RTS is dead!.

There will be 8 nations added to the game for free (12 are already in).

The devs have announced that they will keep supporting the game with ballance patches and, since there are free modding tools (not sure if they are finished yet), they will aim to implement the best community mods into the base game.

Back in the day they launched Cossacks: European Wars, and then in the next two years one stand-alone expansion each (Art of War, Back to War) that added new countries and units and single player campaigns. But GSC has changed a lot since then, I am not sure if they would do it like that again.

RA3 being bad is a meme started by people who got hit by the disappointment when it came out very hard, at absolute worst it's mediocre and doesn't live up to the previous games.

The campaign is pretty fun.

Alright, that sounds pretty decent to me - and for $20 and mod support I'm perfectly happy with taking a risk.

Thanks!

I don't think it will make you uninstall right away but I found the campaign quite boring. If you're a fan, sure, go for it

>that feel when you will NEVER EVER play that slightly obscure rts game with someone else over LAN

I would love to play Metal Fatigue with close friends, seriously.

Because MOBAs overtook its casual audience, its core audience is not big enough to fund an entire genre, the AA market between triple A and indie is non-existent and everyone wants to make the big bucks of the new mass market the gaming industry exploded into, where most customers won't spend enough time on learning the in-depth mechanics of the games they play, which for RTS is very much necessary to actually enjoy them.

I don't even think the RTS audience necessarily shrunk in recent years, it's just that every other audience grew a lot. So there.

Hope you enjoy it.

Keep in mind though that the AI is not that good, if you plan to play a lot of single player. It doesn't bother me much since I mostly play online with a friend, so I forgot to mention it, but I don't know if that would be an important aspect for you.

My nostalgia for MF was recently shattered when I reinstalled for shits and giggles. I mean, it's not like it wasn't the case for the other games back then, but it's fucking SIMPLE. Shallow like a drying out puddle. Tiberian sun, for example, aged way better.

Killing some greenskins.

I am kinda sad how the Total war franchise changed tho.
muh medieval 2

What was that RTS that played in ancient (mythological?) China? I knew that you had peasants working on rice fields,and you recruited units by making peasants go into barracks and then selected the unit to upgrade them to, and then you could upgrade those units by sending them into other barracks, i think.

Kohan 2 at the moment, shit's fun.

It's a good game, generally, but if you take RA2 as a decent cheese cake RA3 is just a plate full of melted cheese. Everything is quirky, everything looks like a toy, everything is patently expendable, everything has a special ability you have to use because you paid for it, resource gathering is even worse than in Generals. And the red button nips are a massive pain in the ass in the hands of a competent player because their bread and butter units can change unit and attack type, so you can't hard counter them in a cost-effective way.

Im absolutely horrible at RTS. I mean, I try to get good by practicing against the hardest AI, but I just can't juggle between macro and micro management in real time. I'm so bad I can't even beat the easiest AI of most RTS. I want to get good, it's a very interesting genre and I fucking love historical based RTS like empire earth.

>which for RTS is very much necessary to actually enjoy them
Hogwash.

Who else played this ?
Comfy childhood memories is all it is for me.

>can't even beat the easiest AI of most RTS
How? Just spamming units is sufficient.

Was that the one where Gollum was randomly walking around on the map and the ones who got him first spawned a special unit?
Sauron for the bad guys, Galadriel for the good guys.

I think I have heard a lot of it back then, but never actually played it.

I suck at warcraft 3, i'm just the worst player imaginable, which is a shame cos I enjoy it a lot

This! Played it to bits after picking it up from the bargain bin.
Bought myself, my younger brother and 2 friends the C&C complete collection and play Generals en RA2 on a frequent basis

I dont think thats the one.
I played the good campaign and it added more and more heroes as you progressed.

At the beggining i think there was only froddo (with an invisibilitly abillity ofc)
And the final fight was against a Balrog IIRC where i had gathered all the felliowship among other units.

That's BfME2. A different game with different problems. This one, I think, had mostly mirrored sides, but the good guys had more heroes, more useful units and the ability to buff everything, so if you played mordor you were fucked if you let the game escalate beyond tier 0.

CoH2 campaign.
A pretty well polished if pulpy story.
I love the quote at the start of the final mission when you storm the reichstag.

medieval 2 vanilla is fucking terrible.
greatest mods in fantasy universes though.

Try doing the campaigns first. The final mission of WC3 is awesome and quite a bit harder than any of the previous ones.
They try a skirmish setup with one ai allied to you, and other ai free for all.
It's easy to win this way, and good practice.
No shame in watching youtube videos to pick up which units are best when.

Are there any good RTS where i wont need to dust off my skills for months before having fun again ?

I haven't played SC2 since the last major update and AOE since junior high

Btw can someone find a torrent of this ?
It should be pretty hard to get these days.

Um, anyone play SC2 or is it truly dead?

I know many people that do but these days most convert to assfaggots.

battle of the red cliffs or something is the game you're thinking about

Battle Realms