What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA
youtube.com/watch?v=bTAKSBvuT-A
mcvuk.com/news/read/slim-release-sees-xbox-one-hardware-sales-rocket-1-000/0173127
youtu.be/SJ-To7WJyWs
gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-outsold-ps4-in-us-during-july-despite-imp/1100-6442570/
playstationlifestyle.net/2016/09/09/august-2016-npd-xbox-one-outsells-ps4/
youtube.com/watch?v=O0iEhjFSpN8
youtu.be/uqCyEupRmEw?t=93
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Everything, pretty much.

Sonyggers at NeoGAF ran a 24/7 smear campaign

Don Mattrick

200 million tho?
WHO the FUCK thought

Microsoft didn't really need the help.

It never recovered from the initial negative impression.

Their plan to Daisy chain with cable boxes was a bad start

This. Half the reason the PS4's done as terrifyingly well as it has is just that their line was basically "Hey, at least we're not Microsoft!".

youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA

Don Mattrick killed the Xbox

Thinking anyone will buy anything based on name alone.

This only applies to Apple.

The always online shit killed the Xbone before it even launched. The back peddling that happened afterwards was just embarrassing.

Don "buy a 360" Mattrick and his shit policies when the One was announced.

Even when they went back on all the bad shit it was too late, all the sonyggers were too busy laughing at sony's smear ad to care.

Also lack of great launch titles.

Don Mattress

He was a Sony mole, right?
youtube.com/watch?v=bTAKSBvuT-A

Plenty of people did buy it on name alone tho.

It got destroyed by the PS4 obviously, but it actually did pretty well in the US and UK.

Smear Campaign? Lmao that wasn't even needed, Xbox fucked themselves and literally everyone knows it. Windows just can't help forcing the latest 1984 orwellian horse shit down all of our throats and they got all hot and horny thinking about all the money they could make with the data they could collect with just a few million boner users. Thank god that shit didn't go thru, it very easily could have. That's why outrage is important, it stops shit like that. The industry would be even more down the toilet if we had let the boner come out as bad as it was purported to be at first.

Were you even here when it first announced? You'd know by now what was wrong. Still might get a Scorpio though.

Hasn't it been outselling the PS4 for the last month or so?

There's no way they were that retarded.

Shhhh... don't anger the Sony ponies

They were fucking leaks that revealed Sony was planning to do the same thing and the only reason they didn't bring it up was because of the negative response to MS.

christ, even if they didnt have that whole drm bullshit and had a great launch it still wouldnt reach that number

microsoft was invovlved

they failed at everything they tried
the whole permanent online and no used games fiasco didn't help

>Pushing Kinect when clearly nobody cares
>Having an anti-consumer policy
>Acting like assholes about it

The 360 being way more popular then the PS3 hugely inflated Microjews ego and they thought they could do no wrong. They got completely shit on by Sony and deservingly so. Even sad old Nintendo was a serious threat at that point. Xbox has bounced back pretty well, but the damage was done. Sony is starting to fuck up and Microsoft has a real opportunity to steal the spotlight. But it'll never happen because they continue to let their big IP's flop due to incompetent devs and greedy practices

RIP

Britain here. I know no-one that bought one and stores have them overstocked. PS4's and Wii U's sell out often.

>Goal is to sell 45 million more units than the highest selling console of all time
Let's start there

>"The Xbox One had a 71 per cent share of the hardware market for the week ending September 24th, according to GfK data obtained by MCV. That’s an increase of 76 per cent year-on-year.

A new slimmed-down PS4 arrived earlier this month, but sales have so far been slow. PlayStation 4 had a market share of just 19 per cent last week, with unit sales declining 66 per cent year-on-year,"

mcvuk.com/news/read/slim-release-sees-xbox-one-hardware-sales-rocket-1-000/0173127

>console is mostly favored by americans
>US population is just over 300 million

Microsoft what the fuck

they all believe the market would increase after the wii. Problem is that chinese market didn't open soon enough

xbox is picking up because it's the cheapest 4k player on the market. yes i watched more blu rays than played games on my ps3 10 years ago

It's not really surprising, but this explains all the hype about it being "more than a video game console" and "taking over the living room", or why half the press conferences only showed off Xbox TV. It was designed as a console for people who don't play games. They must have hardly looked at why the PS2 sold so many units. It's a mystery as to how people with their heads so far up their asses got put in charge of such a major project. At least they've started turning things around.

>ps3 actually was 10 years ago now
wow fuck

It hasn't.

but the ps2 sold well because it was also a dvd player

only in america

For one, they were trying to sell the Xbox One.

For two, they were trying to sell 200 million video game consoles.

For three, it's Mircosoft. They clearly have little clue what they are doing to begin with.

1. Terrible e3 event

Too much focus on the kinect, SPORTS and the tv aspect

2. Don Mattick

Generally just very unlikable, "WE HAVE A CONSOLE FOR THAT", Terrible at dealing with reporters under pressure.

3. Being nintendo level out of touch

Should've nailed DRM/always online on the head at the event or immediately after but they didn't.

Ps3 sold more than the 360

they have little clue.. huh must have been why the 360 dominated - cause they have little clue. they used to before don mattrick sabotaged the brand

So they expected people to just suck their dick like that despite all the bullshit they wanted to pull? Ha, really showed you how much credit they gave to us. You cant expect people to just be complete absolute 100% dipshit morons when were talking about this many.

This went wrong.

youtu.be/SJ-To7WJyWs

>Don Mattick
>Generally just very unlikable, "WE HAVE A CONSOLE FOR THAT", Terrible at dealing with reporters under pressure.

Yeah, the poor guy.

He's actually a very likable and nice guy, but he handles stress and pressure TERRIBLY.

Always-On DRM also wasn't his idea, but the actual execs were trying their damndest to get him to push it (he didn't like the idea at all). He was not exactly happy with having to try to feed all the hungry gamer mouths and being told that the only thing he can prepare for them is bullshit.

So he left.

Weren't publishers pushing for the killing of used games at that time? I think EA was.

but on the gaming front it was still sold as a game console. To the normies that dont play games it was a cheap as fuck dvd player

For xbox one youre buying a MORE EXPENSIVE Blu ray player that doesnt run games as well as the competition.

>"The biggest individual console, the PS2, did 120 million of something like that"
Try 155 million you gigantic cucklord.

Kek'd at the article title.

Go away, Don.

From what I heard, yeah. I don't know much about that stuff, just about Don personally.

But the rumors at the time was that EA, Ubisoft, Blizzard, and Activision (among others) were all trying to make deals with Microsoft and Sony to ensure that their consoles were to be "Online-Only", and all the major devs were planning on having primarily subscription service games. The major deal was that Sony / Microsoft would be taking a cut of the subscription service fees.

However, once the negative reaction came out to Microsoft's "Always-On" stuff, EA, Ubisoft, and Activision decided against it, Sony quietly pretended they never made the deal, and Blizzard decided to keep subscription stuff primarily on PC - which all left Microsoft to take the fall for it. Don obviously wasn't happy about it, especially when he didn't like the idea in the first place.

>Stance on used games
>Striving for always online check-ins
>Kinect
>Being only slightly cheaper than your higher performance competitor.
>Not enough exclusives
>No backwards compatibility until November 2015
>The stupid fucking name designed around wanting people to call your console "The One".
It was a colossal fuck up.

I just picked up a Slim and I gotta say the bone is a bitchin' console. The only reason PS4 is better is simply because of exclusives.

I'd love to see a book or a movie based on the development and initial launch of the Xbone. It was such an unbelievable, surreal, anti-consumer shitshow. Watching Don Mattrick pull a smug smile while obviously knowing outright that the roof was caving in was pure bliss to watch. Those fuckers had the nerve to release such a draconian piece of technology and then, in typical Microsoft fashion come out and basically say, "if you don't like it, than there is something wrong with YOU". It would be an extremely entertaining piece about corporate greed run amok and ultimately crushed in a huge victory for the voice of the consumer. I would read/watch the fuck out of that.

misinterpreting the market. most people who own consoles spend a lot of time just watching tv on it with netflix and shit. so they tried making a console that catered to it first.

Honestly? almost everything.

The exceptions are...........the value. Ive seen offers for the system for 200$ or the xbone s for 300 plus like 3 free games. also xbox live goes down less often than psn i guess. controller has longer batttery life. theres UHD bluray drives. and the backwards compatibility is big. I know its not instant, but they are actually trying as many games as possible. even games that are getting remasters and games few people bought. even just one BC game would be more than what sonys doing.

But what went wrong?....the name. The original system design (mandatory kinect, drm checkups, no used games). the damage control for the system design ("dont like it? buy a fucking xbox 360 then"). kinect was mandatory until they realized people werent buying it. clunkier interface than ever (hey we got windows 10 on xbox now! Get ready for the exciting future of fucking ads jumbled together with your games and useless shit we knew you wanted). unsuccessful plan to unify with windows 10 gaming (no halo on windows despite xbox exclusives mostly being on windows, little cross-platform downloads/saves, win 10 games were held back by the xbox app itself, etc. if it worked though itd be really fucking great). a crowd of gamers that would literally never accept another xbox ever (memories of halo dudebros and the rrod make them shit themselves with anger).

1/2

>retards actually believe this

halo and heavy collusion with call of duty (now battlefield) cement the xbox as the degenerate console for shooter fans even though playstation does the exact same thing. ps4 released first, and cheaper. ps4 is trying harder than nicrosoft to wring exclusives out of this multiplat market. for once sony did more advertising than microsoft, who thought that they could beat sonys quantity of ads in a variety of locations with well-placed expensive ads on sports programming, etc (for example, youtube ads were almost entirely playstation compared to xbox). xbox live was famous for being a ripoffm playstation plus was famous for being a great deal, even though they now exist as the exact same ripoff.

In the end though, the advantage barely goes to sony. and the xbox one is only obsolete if you have a windows gaming pc anyway. idiots who pretend the ps4 is great and the xbone is useless when they only buy consoles are trying to save face. for non-pc users the two systems are almost exactly the same.

2/2

>clunkier interface than ever
This is the worst part about the xbone
It's SO BAD, holy shit

its technically true, but only because asian and non-english speaking european countries didnt even think of buying some thing called an "x-box". many probably dont know such a thing even exists.

english speakers, especially americlaps bought way more 360s.

I don't get it. I think the interface is fine. That said I've only used the S but IMO it's light years ahead of the PS4 UI which looks like something from 2004. You can't even use custom wallpapers on the PS4.

I'm thinking about buying a Slim.

Mostly for glorious exclusive shootans.

Is there any hope for Xbonés? Would I be wasting my money?

>I think the interface is fine.

ive used both. the interface is "fine" but its slower and more obnoxious than ever to just start immediately playing a game.

they thought a desktop interface would be the best idea, when it really just got in the way, and annoys you with ads.

that last part really gets my goat. ads on the ps store is bad enough, but goddamn they literally have ads on the fucking default main menu before you can play a fucking game.

But it's faster to get to your full library of games on the Xbox than it is on the PS4 where you have to scroll all the way to the right. On the Xbox all you do is click on my games and apps which is immediately on the start screen and click on any game and it starts playing.

they just lost that slight time advantage. ps4 has custom folders now.

gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-outsold-ps4-in-us-during-july-despite-imp/1100-6442570/

Sony pony :^)

It's true. 2013 was a huge year for PS3.

If you go to NeoGAF you should unironically kill yourself.

No there wasn't.
There was speculation and that it. There was never leaked anything of the sort and that was why they prepared E3 to counter exactly that.

Weird. Every month since launch has been PS4 dominated.

so PS4: 35

Xbone: 1

nice.

I kinda regret that I got pissed off about kineckt, all things considered it was a fantastic technology with quite a few possibilities, the reason gimmicks like that usually fail is because of poor adoption, if it was baked into the console everyone would be forced to utilize it.

playstationlifestyle.net/2016/09/09/august-2016-npd-xbox-one-outsells-ps4/

Sonyyyyyponyyyy :^)

Hiring Don Mattrick

>US
When will americucks learn that they are irrelevant?

>trying to steer away the conversation
>America, the most powerful and consumer heavy country in the world is irrelevant

That deserves a (You) X2 for you :^)))

US =/= Whole World
Americans are pretty much only people who are heavily hyped for Xbox products anyway.

US makes up less than a 3rd of the sales and just because xbox eclipses that with 10% for 3 months or so it doesn't mean anything. Xbox didn't outsell PS4 3 to 1. PS4 on there other hand has been outselling xbox one with more than 2 to 1 worldwide.

>Xbone drops in price
>Sony literally just announced an updated PS4
You'd be stupid not to realize that sales dropped because people are waiting for the new model.

>this entire post

Don't forget
>focusing on TV

Microsoft also announced a new xbox you know user.

>it's a patch

They just knew where consoles were heading, more in a multimedia system direction.
How many people really still play games on their consoles? I'm betting usage is 90% netflix by now.

Netflix isn't the same as what they were pushing though. I agree consoles are widespread (and pretty good) Netflix machines but MS was going hard about how you could watch live TV and sports through your xbox. Like anyone cared

They proved themselves untrustworthy to many as far as building hardware goes with the 360. Then all of the ideas they had at the announcement were legitimately retarded. They announced at the same time as Sony and much of the time between announcing in launch for MS was spent discussing how fucking awful their plans were and then how they backed up on them and with Sony it was all about the few titles they showed and how it had more power than the bone.

Honestly I think they just focused on it too hard while marketing, it's a nifty feature and all but you can watch that shit streamed anyway.

200m isnt too much? I mean didnt the wii sold only 130m?

Casual here. Was the Xbone even profitable? I barely hear anyone talking about it.

>Cred Forums pretends to root for the Xboner just because the PS4 is popular

Beyond pathetic. The console cuckery on this board is ridiculous..

Regardless of what anybody tells you every console is profitable, if not for hardware sales then game sales, if not for game sales then for subscriptions.

The console reveal when they were trying to spin no used games as a positive for whatever reason.

There are probably people today who still think Xbone doesnt allow used games,`

Sorry but they're rooting for Xbox because this entire board is tired of sonyggers ;^)

Get your facts straight

>100$ more than ps4
>all that drm shit
>less powerful than ps4
>playstation brand has always been stronger around the world
> marketed towards americans/anglos, euro and nips dont give a fuck
Only American dudebros care about Xbox. only dude bro games sell
there is nothing they can do to save it. its basically been on fire sale since year 2.
I bought my xbox one 1.5 years after it came out and it was only 220$. I have 5 games for it. Now that everything is coming to pc from microsoft there is literally no reason for me to own it anymore.

200 million? That was not their estimate back then

xbone was less powerful and cost $100 more than PS4 at launch
not to mention the forced always on kinect, and no used games shit

Now that Xbones are so cheap used, and Backwards Compatibility is now worth something (fuck yeah, Lost Odyssey!) I'm looking to buy one.

youtube.com/watch?v=O0iEhjFSpN8

this sounds like fanfiction

He's not wrong, towards the end of the ps3 and x360's lifespans ea and activision were throwing online activation codes into the boxes of their games making resale impossible.

Didn't the Xbox 360 dominate only because of

>FIVE HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE US DOLLARS

though?

I was referring to the bit with don mattrick.

What went wrong with Don Mattrick? He was a nerd developing games in his mom's garage.

did they really expect to do this and still priced it $100 more expensive than the PS4?

Fucking publishers are in love with the idea that they can sell their product and still somehow retain rights to profit off of further transactions. That is the world we live in.

>1 billion consoles sold
Ohhahaahahaha jesus christ

Still more exclusives than the PS4.

Not at all, Xbox 360 did the same shit the PS2 did: It came out a year earlier. The PS3 also shit the bed with a weak launch, a CPU that was difficult to code for, and the higher pricetag. Once casuals who play online settled with the xbox it became the dominant console.

>"Hey, at least we're not Microsoft!"

>tfw you fell for that meme

looking back, I'm shocked how bluepilled I was at that time

>dominate
it never did. The PS3 has sold more consoles lifetime than the xbox 360 did.

The problem with kinect is the same problem you get with most new tech: no one does anything interesting with it until after the fact. I mean you could basically pull some sort of Minority Report UI with the thing, and they used it for fucking dance games.

this, but also the fact that the PS4 was cheaper. It was a full hundred bucks less than the Xbone, and without the negative stigma surrounding the "NSA spycam" and "TVSPOATSTVSPOATS" the kind of people who buy vidya systems dont care about that shit, they just want it to play games. Unless it plays some new video format, in which case that is a draw. Like DVD or Bluray on the PS2 and 3.

I dont think anyone really bought in to microsoft's idea of making it an all in one media center. the kind of people who would, already have a media center that works just fine, they're not gonna throw everything away just so it can all be one box.

I agree, but it's a tossup between trying to force mass adoption and shooting for the gimmick audience like psmove/psvr, even if the xbone did nothing good with it 2-3 consoles down the line it would be pretty fucking good in my opinion, especially something like a camera considering it's facial and room tracking were impeccable and it merges nicely with technology like VR as a result.

>>Being only slightly cheaper than your higher performance competitor.
it was slightly more expensive. youve got it the other way around. PS4 was 399. Xbone was 499.

It wasn't exactly hard to look better than Microsoft at the moment. They shot themselves in the foot like 5 times in a row. Their conferences were fucking embarrassing, their policies didn't make any sense, their exclusives looked bad, and they kept focusing on shit that was not vidya. Top it off with the 500 dollaroo pricetag that is literally only because of the kinect and being overall weaker than the competition.

I mean, we're talking that MS fucked up so bad that Cred Forums had a whole week where Nintoddlers and Sonyggers stopped slapfighting each other to laugh at microsoft.

>b-b-b-but Sony

>The One
guuuuys, dont call it xbone, because otherwise I w-w-will c-c-cry

It can maybe make some sort of sense if you consider the Kinect. It could have been possible if their long term goal was to make Kinect a universal standard, built into every TV. And Xbox One could have been the standard hardware and software for smart TVs. If they had managed to morph the Xbox One into this over its lifespan, 1 billion sounds possible, at least it sounds like an actual vision and not a joke.

I remember when microsoft would have actual shills on forums 9and even on Cred Forums) and it was easy as fuck to spot them because they were specifically instructed to call it "The One", and expressly forbidden from calling it Xbone

>tfw bought a bone last Christmas
>was good for playing MCC with one single friend along with GoW with old buds
>didn't care enough to renew live
>now its sitting in my sister's room collecting dust

idk maybe I'll renew live for GoW4 but that's about it?
I got Blops 3 with my bundle and none of my old CoD buds cared about it.

>a PR guy from M$ thinks the "Xbone" term is insulting woooooooooow

news at 11

>trying to outsell the ps2

I honestly dont think it will ever happen. Different era. Consoles have a shorter lifespan and the ps2 already had a ridiculous one at 10 years I think it was.

Simply impossible goal without it being the sole console on the market.

Xbone existing

The amount of butthurt was glorious.

wasn't the PS2 also really popular in poorer countries?

I don't see why Kinect makes any sense in this. Kinect quite honestly doesn't seem like something the average consumer would be into.

It was just popular in general. I think the slim was selling for around 120 wasnt it? That is beyond fucking cheap. Also the others werent as attractive. Gamecube had the weird small cd's going against it and the xbox was huge as fuck. Aint got no space for that in poor countries.

I mostly play on my Xbone these days, but I'm damn glad they didn't get away with what they wanted to try to get away with. It's just better for the industry this way.

Sony needs to shape up tho, Scorpio might stomp the shit out of it. Sony is being way too anti-consumer atm, it's like places just swapped.

I don't remember what company it was for but some shill on here once tried to add trade marks every time he mentioned his products named.

Waggle controls dont seem like the thing an average consumer would be into but that gimmick made the Wii sell a shit ton and it was to the extreme casual non-gamer audience. It makes sense if you think that some type of gimmick such as kinect will draw that same audience. Just think on it nigger.

I have a hard time believing the Scorpio will retail for less than 450, which in that case even if it is a lot stronger I doubt it will put much of a dent in the PS4's sales.

>200 million
well letting retarded people make their sales projections for one

The "always online" marketing thing was way too soon.

But now that the commie regressives are destroying the US and love to have their privacy invaded, NOW would've been a good time to market the "always online" thing.

Waggle controls is only something people are into if its VR. VR is a new beast compared to the rest of these.

Wii didn't sell anywhere near what microsoft is suggesting here.
Quite honestly the Wii didn't sell on its waggle alone.
It also sold a shit ton on the wii fit balancing board and the positive childrens hospital praise etc.

PS2 also had everything kinect had and more with the singstar microphones and such. I am not saying that peripherals doesn't sell a shitton of consoles all i am saying is that Kinect would never ever ever get the sales to that imaginary number EVER.

I love and hate my bone on one hand it's nice but the UI is the slowest piece of fisher price horse shit I have ever seen. I would have gotten a PS4 but non of my friends are sonyggers

see

They just interviewed Phil earlier this week on it and he strongly hinted it won't raise any eyebrows and will release like other consoles in the past. Strongly suggesting $400 bucks max.

It won't even be needed since Xbox is telling all devs to have PC-type settings where they can set there graphics to "Xbox One or Scorpio" and all games will run on X1 anyways. Tho I figure specific high end games will change this down the road tho, like Crackdown and possibly Scalebound.

Backwards compatibility is killing on Xbox also and Fallout will not leave the top 10 most played games with mod support. Play Anywhere is great getting 2 copies (1 PC and 1 Bone) with one purchase and with game sharing I'm buying 1 copy and my bro gets one also it's like getting 3 copies of a game for the price of one on every game. Xbox is a great platform atm and it has a very consumer friendly future.

holy fuck. Even the Wii didn't pull anything even remotely close to those numbers and that was the only console to somewhat corner the normie market

It doesnt have nioh

Are there even one billion total gamer in the world?

Same fucking webms every time,

>Xbox is a great platform atm and it has a very consumer friendly future.
spoken like a true shill

PS2 was closer but still like almost 50 million shy.

youtu.be/uqCyEupRmEw?t=93
this everytime

Just speaking my opinion, it's funny on this board if you say "O man I like this game" some faggot like yourself will call you a shill. Did you happen to play more video games than you did shitpost today?

Maybe some people enjoy games and want to talk about it on a chinese video game board. Ever think about that? I'm sure your shill pitch-forking in this echo chamber means a lot to the world you colossal fuccboi.

>Backwards compatibility is killing on Xbox also and Fallout will not leave the top 10 most played games with mod support. Play Anywhere is great getting 2 copies (1 PC and 1 Bone) with one purchase and with game sharing I'm buying 1 copy and my bro gets one also it's like getting 3 copies of a game for the price of one on every game. Xbox is a great platform atm and it has a very consumer friendly future.

You can't seriously think this doesn't come out like marketing speak

They should just have run with Xbone. Make a new green dog mascot or something.

>because they continue to let their big IP's flop due to incompetent devs

Microsoft has no big ip

gears
forza
halo which is more or less dead

Microsoft Studios is a fucking joke of a game developer, after gears 4 everybody will see just how far behind Microsoft is Sony development studios.

> after gears 4 everybody will see just how far behind Microsoft is Sony development studios.

Sony only has Naughty Dog and they already blew their load this gen.

Microsoft came out with a more appealing piece of hardware last gen, despite its 90% failure rate but it only knows how to buy games, not create them.

This is why Playstation is better. Microsoft can spend hundreds of thousands improving their online service, pumping money into custom controllers or party chat features but it's side feature bullshit that doesn't account for actual video games that are more important.

Have fun with sea of thieves you embarrassing retards

>that nintendo list

wow that is sad that you literally have to cut out Nintendo's own EAD teams just to try and make your company look better.

Fuck you then, I know DM personally that's how I know what was happening behind the scenes

you can't seriously expect anyone to believe you

Microsoft took two full generations to get to 100mil. How did they expect the xbone to do it in 3 years?

>Tfw sales of xbox HUEG + 360 + xbone still less sales than ps2 alone.