I really want to play a good platformer...

I really want to play a good platformer. I've been browsing through some old GBC and GBA games and haven't had any luck finding a game that I could really stick to. Could be old, could be new, I just want a fun platformer to play, preferably one with some medium-sized, varied stages, but really I just want something that feels good.

ITT: Platformer recommendations

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/315840/
store.steampowered.com/app/262960/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Wario Land 4

Good recommendation, but I've already played that one! My only complaint is that it holds over enemies placed specifically to waste your time from 2 and 3.

Tropical Freeze (varied)
Runner2
Wooly World
Super Mario 63 (Controls aren't perfect but I like. and free. Sm64 type of level design)
Fluidity (comfy and fresh. Also has sm64 type of level design)

>Tropical Freeze
Enjoyed that one a lot, barring some of the boss fights and a few specific stages. Came very close to 100%, but I think I might not have had quite enough patience to get everything in the extra world.

>Runner2
Thought that was okay, but not the kind of thing I'm looking for at the moment.

>Woolly World
Been wanting that for some time, now. Maybe I'll cave and get it.

>Super Mario 63
Liked that one, but never got very far in it. I remember following its development back when SheezyArt still existed.

>Fluidity
I've played the sequel, Spin Cycle, which I enjoyed a lot, but I remember trying out the demo for the original Fluidity and not being too fond of it. Maybe I'll give that another try.

>Woolly World
I think it got cut to 30 dollars on the eshop. Right before they anounced the 3ds port.

>Super Mario 63
I think I've 100%'d it a couple times now.

>Fluidity
ehh Spin Cycle. I didn't play it, but the changes didn't appeal to me. (Turning the water into a weird cartoon character and splitting the game into levels).
If you didn't like the tutorial though, perhaps you won't like it. I liked the environments, the sm64 type of level design, the concept. And there were a couple minigames that were fun (Involving sticking to rotating gears and flinging yourself safely to other gears to see how far you can get without touching the ground .)

Rayman Origins and/or Legends

Played both of those, really enjoyed them. Can't remember why, but I stopped playing Origins partway through.

>I think it got cut to 30 dollars on the eshop.
Oh shit, you're right. The rewards on My Nintendo will be swapping in about a day, so I'll wait 'til those to refresh, in case I can get it for even cheaper.

>I didn't play it, but the changes didn't appeal to me. (Turning the water into a weird cartoon character and splitting the game into levels).
The cartoon character thing is really only for the stage clear screen, otherwise you're just a puddle of water. I agree that it looks pretty ugly, though. I can understand not liking the more linear structure of Spin Cycle, though some of the later levels are pretty long, regardless. I also felt a lot more in control with the tilt controls on the 3DS versus the Wii remote, since tilting the system offers pretty clear visual feedback on how much tilt the character's receiving. I really wish Curve would make more games, but I think they've totally shifted gears from dev to publisher at this point.

Super Mario: The Lost Levels.
Mario 2.

>SheezyArt
Wow, that brings me back.

You could try Castlevania Chronicles for PS1, it's a remake of the NES original with some bonus levels, score attack and a few other neat features. The art and soundtrack are also very nice.

Yeah, likewise. The guys who used to run the site are still holding onto the domain, but the site's functionally dead. It's sad that there's stuff on there I'll never be able to get back, but at least there's one less piece of evidence of my retard phase from middle school.

>Super Mario: The Lost Levels
What kind of masochist do you take me for

>Mario 2
I can't remember the last time I tried this one. Maybe I'll give it a proper shot, sometime.

I had no idea that even existed! I really enjoyed CV1 barring a few bits here and there, so that might be fun to try.

Any preference for 3D vs 2D user?

It's a platformer action game hybrid, but if you haven't played t definitely give Mischief Makers a shot. First level has a lot of talking by after that it's smooth sailing.

Are you trying to pull a fast one on him?

>I can't remember the last time I tried this one. Maybe I'll give it a proper shot, sometime.

It's very varied, fun time. Random jumps in difficulty at times, however.

Not him but lost levels honestly isn't that bad.

Also Mario 2 USA is amazing.

Spirits and Spells/Castleween for GBA.

I'm assuming that he was referring to the American release of Mario 2. It's hard to tell with all the wild tricksters on this website.

2D is what I've got a taste for at the moment. I remember getting bored with Mischief Makers a couple stages in on what I think was some sort of amusement park stage? Basically it was a stage where you were shakin a bunch of faces and it totally lost my interest for whatever reason. I also remember the double-tap to dash getting slightly on my nerves, but that's mostly because my best option for a PC controller at the moment is a 360 controller, and you know how those d-pads are.

Any recommendation between the original SMB2 USA and its All-Stars version?

this

Pretty sure the Allstars version lets you save, while the original doesn't. I think it also lets you restart from the same world when you're out of lives instead of starting all the way over.

Whether you consider that an improvement over the original or a detriment to its more arcade one-attempt structure depends on what kind of player you are.

You gotta go a bit farther back

>Any recommendation between the original SMB2 USA and its All-Stars version?

Exactly what said.

Really stylish, but the stuff you actually do in the game feels a bit bland, to me.

Well, I'm the kind of asshole who couldn't stand finishing the first SMB without the cheat that lets you start from whatever world you left off on, entirely because of World 8. World 8-3 in particular is an absolute load of bullshit and I will hear nothing to the contrary.

I'll go with All-Stars.

This and Mario Vs. Donkey Kong feel incredible to play, but I just can't get into them for some reason. I think maybe I prefer to feel like I'm "exploring" a location when I play platformers, where DK94 and MvDK both have this constrained, sort of puzzle-game-like feel to them.

Simple momentum-based platformer with only 3 buttons to control but really fun and challenging. It also has lots of content and user created levels.

Shovel Knight plays nicely, short but sweet. The Plague of Shadows campaign plays better than the main game, imo. They are also adding another campaign early next year, I think.

>World 8-3 in particular is an absolute load of bullshit and I will hear nothing to the contrary.

>he didn't find the hidden mushrooms

>Shovel Knight
Would definitely be a top pick for my mood if I hadn't already played it. Plague of Shadows is great fun too, I'm looking forward to what I believe is Specter Knights campaign?

>hidden mushrooms
u wot

I've heard a lot about N++, but I've never been in the mood to play that sort of game, especially seems like its main draw is its challenge. I tend to like at least a little bit of gimmickiness (hot new made-up word) in my games.

>3 buttons
is that including left and right, or are there other things you can do than jump?

The level has at least two power up blocks that look like bricks. You can get a fire flower by the time you're like a third of the way into the level, which makes hammer bros cake to get past.

You can also kill I think all but one of the ones on the ground (who don't hop up and down between rows) with a shell if you chase after it at the right speed after kicking it. It might be the toughest level in the game (I still think 8-4 is harder) but if you figure out these few tricks they left in for you to find it's really not bad.

Super Meat Boy if you got what it takes, make no mistake, you need to git gud

fucking hidden power ups I swear on my life
>I still think 8-4 is harder
I don't remember much of 8-4, but I know it didn't brick-wall me like 8-3 did, since most of its challenges can be overcome with a little bit of patience. That's not so much the case when dealing with a sea of hammer brothers.

>Super Meat Boy
the fuck year is it
I really enjoyed Super Meat Boy right up until Cotton Alley, which just isn't enjoyable no matter how good I get at it.

Klonoa GBA (Empire of Dreams)
Klonoa 2 GBA (Dream Champ Tournament)

Also:
Drill Dozer
Sonic Advance (Maybe Sonic Advance 3)
Ninja Five-O
Megaman Zero 2/3

MIBIBLI'S QUEST user GET ON THAT SHIT

Seriously it's pretty fucking good and brutal. My main complaints is that there is no pause button even in the steam version and switching between power ups is kind of a hassle but it's pretty good imo

Oh shit, another person who's played Mibibli's fucking Quest? I think I put that down because the boss at the end of the water level is a fucking dickhead. I ought to pick it back up after I play something more relaxing. Definitely an amazing game though, really original gimmicks, goes to show that there's still a lot you can do with platformers, even when you're blatantly cloning several parts of another game.

>Megaman Zero 2/3
These are probably the most interesting to me on that list. Are these totally linear games like the X series?

What difficulty are you playing on user? Im trying to do all the humanibli lairs on Mibibli difficulty but lair C is fucking brutal with that jump gimmick, especially the second half.

Somewhat, yeah. 1 Intro stage, 4 Stages to choose, 2-3 Mid game stages (in order), 4 Stages to choose from, 3 end game stages (in order).They're pretty much the spiritual successor's of Megaman X.

Better movement options than the X series though - in 2 you get a Grappling Hook, and in 3 you get a Pogo Stick.

Dustforce is pretty good. Takes awhile to really figure out how to properly go fast, but once you do, it's a joy to play.

Freedom Planet is good. If you can get past the Sonic OCs and extremely low budget voice acting, it's a great mix of Sonic, Rocket Knight Adventures, and various Treasure games.

Classic Metroid/vanias

Only Super is actually any good.

The first one and Zero Mission are pretty meh, while 2 is bad and fusion is shit.

Mibibli, any lower difficulty is for casuals and you know it. I've only played the first two Humanibli lairs so far. The lack of checkpoints in those levels is pretty fucking murderous, but at least Humanibli himself is a pretty easy boss fight.

>Better movement options than the X series though - in 2 you get a Grappling Hook, and in 3 you get a Pogo Stick.
Shit, I'm down for that. How are the boss fights?

I really like how Dustforce feels to play, but the type of variety that the levels offer just doesn't appeal to me, so I ended up getting bored of it. Loved Freedom Planet though, have a couple hundred hours on it from speedrunning.

Slow platforming: Spelunky
Fast Platfoming: N++

I thought Super was just okay. I really love how Zero Mission feels to play, game's got a good flow to it. Can't stand original Metroid nor 2 due to their controls.

AM2R is great, definitely worth playing and actually my favorite 2D Metroid.

>but really I just want something that feels good.

Ori And The Blind Forest full stop. That game is the most enjoyable platformer I've ever played due to its fluidity of movement, especially as you unlock more abilities.

>Shit, I'm down for that. How are the boss fights?

Pretty damn good actually. 2's at least are all pretty varied. You've got quick bosses, big bosses, bosses that make the screen scroll, bosses that make the ground move, a bullet hell boss, and so on. They all have about 2-5 attack patterns. If you're A-Ranking the stages, the bosses will even have an extra attack. Most importantly is that they're all fair - if you screw up, it's your fault.

>Dynamite Headdy
>Pusleman
>Rocket Knight Adventures

All great Genesis platformers

>Dynamite Headdy
So good but holy fucking shit that last stage what the fuck. This game's difficulty curve is absolutely fucking nutso

>Pulseman
Feels good, albeit little slow. Might give it another shot sometime.

>Rocket Knight Adventures
One of my favorite games of all time. Shame about the sequels.

Great, I like the sound of that. Is it a limited-lives sort of game?

Yeah, I really enjoyed AM2R for a while, but I got completely stuck on... the area where you get the power bomb, I think. I feel like I'm supposed to get out of here and go somewhere else, but it seems like I'm totally locked in.

Yeah, Ori definitely feels very good to play, particularly with the Bash ability. Combat lockdowns are kinda' shitty but it's a pretty good game, otherwise. A friend of mine who I've got family share enabled with bought the definitive edition, the new areas they added in aren't worth the full price of admission if you've already played the game, but the new powerups and how they're used is actually really nice.

>Great, I like the sound of that. Is it a limited-lives sort of game?

Sorta but not really?

There's a save system for one, with 3 slots.

You get a ranking on every mission you do - from F rank to S Rank. There's a number of things that affect the ranking (it's pretty transparent on the ranking screen), and how many times you died in a stage is one of them. If you die too many you do get a game over, but then you just reload the last save. But you'd reload anyways if you died that many times, because you'd almost certainly have a horrible ranking.

Oh and on that note

Ranking is used for two things - if you have an A or S Ranking going into a stage, Bosses get an extra attack. If you beat a Boss and finish the stage with an A or S Ranking, you get an "Ex-Skill". The Skills are small little bonuses, like being able to modify your charge so it shoots out fire element instead of just neutral element - nothing as big as a new weapon (like in Megaman X) but a nice bonus.

Instead, you also get "Forms" in MMZ2 - based on how you play (do you do lots of dash/jumping slashes? Do you use the shield a lot? Do you primarily use your buster to beat enemies? etc.), you unlock a new "Form" when you beat a level. These forms actually change your stats, upgrade different weapons, and modify different parts of the game. You can change these out on the fly as well.

>I really want to play a good platformer.

Ori

Great! I'll definitely give MMZ2 and 3 a shot, those sound like the kind of thing I'm in the mood for.

Played it. Good game.

>good platformer
>GBC and GBA

I found your problem

I've played this a couple times, as well as its sequel. Don't know why I enjoy it so much, since it's pretty slow.

It's not like the platforms are immune to good games. WL4 and Aria of Sorrow are pretty decent, and since I've seen very little of the GB's library, I figured I may as well look through the various Mario/Wario games on there.

NSMB2 or NSMBU

gex the gecko
chameleon twist
goemon mystical ninja
mischief makers
ninja gaiden
nes and snes titles are mostly superior to modern titles

catacomb kids
castle in the darkness

It's well made, I think it still has a lot of untapped potential when it comes to difficulty, there were "super hard" secret rooms in the Wii remake, but I think those were rather poorly designed, I don't think there really are many good fast paced plaformers, it easily starts to get ridiculous if it's any faster that let's say Megaman X.

Yeah, I definitely think there's potential for the series, but Namco likely won't be revisiting it, considering how terribly the Wii remake sold.

>goemon
The N64 one? That always seemed more like a Zelda game to me than anything else.

>catacomb kids
hot damn, I've never heard of this before

if you dont have a 3ds you should run citra emulator and play shovel knights, it is close to mario quality

Shovel Knight's available on PC, too, that's where I played it. Solid game, for sure.

>so good it makes you shit your hands

>shovel knight

it is a casual bitch 2d platformer that does not have the same skill level needed as nes or snes titles
Fuck the fuck off

Does steam have any good platformers?

There is jumping parts and adventure parts
I just think it is a game that does not get love on here as much as it should haha.

And it is a great game im going to post a webm

store.steampowered.com/app/315840/

store.steampowered.com/app/262960/

A.R.E.S.

Chill man, we're all here to have fun.

Depends on what you're into. Picking a handful of platformers I really enjoyed from my Steam library:

Bleed
Environmental Station Alpha
Momodora III
Explodemon
RIVE

And that's me trying to explicitly avoid games that have already been mentioned in this thread, like Spelunky, N++, Shovel Knight, Super Meat Boy, so on and so forth.

OP can you list all of the platforming games you ever played please.
I want to add some if you are missing some.

Wings of Vi if you enjoy a challenge. I was too casual to finish it

I really like how Wings of Vi feels to play but the audio is mixed really poorly and it gives me a headache.

Mate, there are so many games I've heard of but haven't played and don't want to, it wouldn't be worth it

You played either Earthworm Jim game, OP?
Granted, Earthworm Jim 2 isn't a platformer nearly as often as the first game is.