Will Sonic 2017 save Sonic from Himself?

You heard me, so what isnit gonna be Cred Forums? Is this sonic 06 all over again - or - will Sonic Team pull a rabbit out of the hat?

General Sonic Discussion as well

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-U0apQttNw0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Sonic has been dead for a long time ago.

youtube.com/watch?v=-U0apQttNw0

Video won't load

>Is this sonic 06 all over again - or - will Sonic Team pull a rabbit out of the hat?
Sonic Team been working on this for like 4 years.
The only explainable way Sonic 06 2 happens again is everything fucks up. Which is impossible. Thanks to pic related for one. And second, because it's by the same people who did Colors and Gens and that broke the mold (Unleashed did it first but no one cares so eh). So basically, it's Gen 2, nothing shit like Edge the Hedge but nothing as good as again, pic related.

Who worked on sonic advanced?
I remember those games fondly

I feel like there's nothing for me next year. The amount of effort Aaron put into teasing announcements left me disappointed but at least they will help Sonic's rep I guess.

Who?

Aaron Webber is the guy who runs the Sonic social media accounts. A young lad, has been with sega since 2007 or so. Quit for a bit and came back last year

Dimps
As long as it plays it relatively safe with tone, aesthetics, and overall design and is basically a refined Generations in terms of gameplay it should be at least decent. If not then at least there's Mania

Oh say it aint so, Ive heard his full name but never really bothered to connect the dots. He drops all the memes on twidder huh? Interacts with the public to some degree. I dont think he has anything to do with design, he seems like practical damage control in the pr sector.

I don't know about that. He honestly might be the reason Mania is even happening in the first place. The other PR guy for Sonic 4 quit long ago so it was all Aaron who beared the brunt of complaints about physics and other shit from the autists. Obviously Japan wouldn't listen but maybe it got to a point where they backed off and let Sega America handle it. I have also talked to him in person once at the Sonic Boom 2011 event. Shook his hand and even got a photo with him. He is a real Sega and Sonic fan.

I agree, Mania is left field for me. I am excited but also curious why sega isnt spending the budget of their 3d titles on something as robust and refined as a 16bit or 32bit 2d game instead with like 4x as much content. 3d is obviously a detriment to games like deus ex, pokemon, tloz, some others im sure.

Is there a chance, no matter how tiny, that Sonic Team will remove Classic Sonic from Sonic 2017?

Good for him then, they aught to give him a real position instead of just birdbook manager. Mania is unreal to me, I never would have imagined they would actually listen and just for once try going back to the basics.

I agree they should just drop 3D at this point, but Modern Sonic and the 3d games still have a substantial fanbase plus a big budget game is kind of expected so whatever. Just give us Generations 2 with new old levels and be done with it. Sadly it isn't Generations 2, but I hope it keeps the same tone and gameplay, just with original levels
Hell no. Classic Sonic is basically a crutch for Modern at this point
I'm glad they went back to basics too. The franchise needs to forget like 90% of stuff after 3&K and focus on Classic, which is what most people like. Not!Generations 2 should be the last hurrah for Modern before sticking to Classic. If we got more things like Mania instead of stuff like Lost World on a regular basis I think that'd be the perfect position for Sonic to be in

He's said in an interview he's happy with his position and really enjoys bringing people into the social media mix. He quit for charity work a few years back and they offered him this spot upon returning which he happily accepted.

I see, well that sucks. Guess I'm skipping Sonic 2017 then and will pretty much just leave the fanbase now. It's been a good run, sonic kun.

I'm being cautious, but Sonic Team almost always manages to fuck up in some sort of way.

I'd say Colors was probably the best overall modern Sonic, and even that was cut short in a lot of ways. Reused bosses, very cookie-cutter level design, some of the Wisps being useless (though they were mostly used well). Generations had some blemishes like Planet Wisp and Time Eater was a shitshow.

Lost World was a great concept and had a lot of great ideas mixed with some iffy execution. I honestly think if they stuck with it we could get a really good game, but it doesn't seem like that's what we're getting. To me, Lost World is basically the first time Sonic actually felt like a genuine 3D platformer.

I think Sonic Mania has mostly stolen the show anyway. A Sonic game made specifically for true Sonic fans by people who know exactly how classic Sonic works and what made it so good. Even though it's kind of a bummer that most of the stages are going to be from past games, it'll still probably wipe the floor with whatever Sonic Team comes up with.

Huh, not one for charity myself, I'd say he doesnt have the ability to speak japanese. That for one would prevent him from rising higher. Not that it matters really. His word about hos happiness matters more than mine.

Last good 3d was Adventure. I was one of the only kids with a dreamcast in my neighborhood, that a jet set game and ms pac man helped keep my interest until I was given a playstation 2, before all that my friend had purchased a gensis and all that jazz, so I got the chance to play sonic in his original form. But to see that same level of play be harnessed again would 1, be invigorating for sega - 2, allow for lower budget higher profit.

06 had the potential to be decent, but it was literally a beta build that was shipped as the full game for Christmas.

Other than Sonic Boom, Atari ET, and Big Rigs, it's rare for games to get released like that

High demand can really kill a game huh, funny how evolve was a pile of shit too.

>I think Sonic Mania has mostly stolen the show anyway. A Sonic game made specifically for true Sonic fans by people who know exactly how classic Sonic works and what made it so good. Even though it's kind of a bummer that most of the stages are going to be from past games, it'll still probably wipe the floor with whatever Sonic Team comes up with.
Yup. Makes you wonder why they're even bothering with 2017. They should just can it, have Taxman and co do Mania, and have Sonic Team, I dunno, revive an older property or just make a mobile game or something, keep them busy. Relegate Modern and its characters to spin offs or something but keep the main series Classic. I think that's the best possible outcome because everyone gets something

There have been 3D games much better than Adventure. Unleashed, Generations, shit even Heroes and Shadow in some ways is better than Adventure. Adventure's best quality is its music and Gamma story.

>Lost World
Lost World's problem is that it had nifty ideas but levels designed by someone that looks with their hands and touches with their eyes

Picture, Jet Set Radio Fusion, an amalgimation of sonic, jsr, and mirror's edge.

Heroes will never be better than Adventure.

Heroes is way better to me. Adventure plays terrible and the levels feel really basic, devoid of both enemies and platforming

Heroes is lock on city, I can deal with that shit. When I was a lid I couldnt deal woth sonic heroes being a bad game, I am serious I denied it, I couldnt understand how two incredible 3d platformers had become such a nightmare, it may be opinion alone but sonic adventure is a dream.

I guess we just gotta disagree than fambo, I find both the adventure games to be the worst of the 3D games. I got into Sonic with them and am thankful for that but I just can't enjoy them like I used to.

Nostalgia goggles probably, those games are sacred in memory, defiled i. Reality. Genesis Sonic is ideal though.

I don't care for Genesis either. Advance and Rush did the same thing but with much better music, style, and speed. Boost and handheld are the epitome of Sonic to me

Mania is going to be the only real Sonic game. Sonic 2017 is going to be fucking shit.

Why the fuck is classic Sonic in 2017?

So he's officially a separate character now? Just another one of Sonic's friends? Kinda stupid

I wish Rush had better stages. A solid half the game is kind of crap (Mirage Road, Night Carnival, large sections of Altitude Limit).

like, it's been a while since I played Rush Adventure, and I do remember that game being a bunch better

Advance 1 is amazing, 2 is decent (should have been more than amazing, has some screwy stage layouts), 3 is iffy (a ton of fun, but the stage layouts are like all some degree of garbage and it's got somewhat funky controls).

on the other hand, I also wish S1 and S2 had better stages (massive portions of S1 are a slog, and the ending few levels in S2 aren't that great -- namely Metropolis, but I never did like Wing Fortress and Oil Ocean is kind of annoying)

S3&K is fucking ace the whole way through, at least. Even the weaker stages like Carnival Night aren't that bad (CNZ2 is too fucking long though). Sandopolis 2 is probably the only real downer, and it's more the gimmick that kills it than the actual layout.
oh, and fuck Marble Garden, which throws off-screen spikes/crushers at you constantly, fuck that shit

Too early to tell and personally, I don't see the point of 2017 threads at all when we don't even know how it plays.

The only thing for sure though is that SEGA actually isn't rushing this one out this time so at the very least it's pretty much impossible to be another Sonic 06. At worst I think we'll get another Lost World where it's extremely polished but the level design and basic ideas just aren't that great.

Because Modern can't support a game on his own anymore
If 2017 is basically GEnerations 2 but with "original" levels (AKA old levels with different names) and a story that doesn't involve Sonic's friends I think it could be decent

Yes rush is kind of mixed but the good parts are really good. Rush Adventure overall is a much more meaty package with much better levels. A shame the sales dropped to a 1/3 of the original despite being a much better game. Advance to me is 2 > 1 = 3. 2 is so fucking fast its amazing and it has my favorite levels and music

Tbh this franchise doesn't need any characters outisde of Sonic, Tails, and Eggman. Maybe Knuckles once in a while and maybe Amy even more rarely, but thats it

Its a good thing thats all its been for a decade then isn't it :)

NAh, they still had a lot of characters in Generations as well as those one off characters you get every game. We don't need either of those

You make it sound like they hurt Generations.

Their challenged ranged from tolerable to goddamn annoying and they never shut up during the final boss so they did hurt it. Not a lot but they did

That's fair I suppose

Late Night Speculation Baby

Don't let the autism hit you on the way out.

If anything they need to go the route of Mario and give these characters a healthy presence in spinoffs and the like. Nobody but Sonic has been playable for a decade aside from in Boom. That gets boring real fast desu

Speak for yourself, sonic is based and the coolest character. All i need is him

I just want as new 3D game that plays like Adventure 1/2, but focuses only on sonic and have the adventure 1 level design(although 2 had fine stages as well, like final rush). Knuckles and tails are fine too if they run fast and have the same levels.
I want none of this slide/stomp shit, and especially no boost to win gameplay.

I just recently replayed generations and the first thing I noticed was how much better sonic moved around in a 3D space in adventures. Or maybe thats just because generations 3D sonic moved like shit.

Oh, and bring back chao garden

Its because sonic in unleashed was admittedly a little slippery. But for the levels he had he actually controlled very well while also having a sense of momentum. Colors and everything after swung the complete opposite way. They made him very stiff, very very fucking stiff. The last time sonic controlled good to me was unleashed but the best is still adventure. Man what the fuck are they doing

Modern Sonic isn't really meant to "wander" around in open spaces. Well I guess you could say it sort of worked in Unleashed like said. But other than that he's mostly meant to just run on a straight path since that's how the game and areas are built.

Thats how the new ones are made yes, but that not how they should be made honestly

Why is the jump sound in CD so ANNOYING

Nah, fuck off. I'm more excited for 2017 than Mania.

Why? Theyre both classic sonic games except mania will be done in a better way