>Game Company 3
>Saved Game
>SavedGame
>Game3HD
>Game Company 4
>My Games
>Emulator 3

Other urls found in this thread:

howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The worst part is that all of those configs and saves are on the c:/drive, which sucks when you have a small SSD for the OS

How did he get parasites in the first place?

You forgot AppData from there.

>he doesn't know how to change his default folders locations
lmao

Holy shit do you seriously not know you can right click on your "my documents" folder and move it?

What the fuck you fucking casual, you shouldn't even own an SSD if you have no idea how to use a computer.

pc games have a long history of saving shit anywhere, proper save game management is something should have but never will, even fucking consoles are going backwards on this

vista introduced %userprofile%\Saved Games but barely anyone uses it

Kojima doesn't care and neither should you.

>game saves to %appdata%

Huh, you're right.
I never even thought to try that, but now I know

It really fucking grinds my gears that OSX handles applications and their data a million times better than windows.

Where are your files in OSX? They're in the app folder. Where's the dlls and all the extranous stuff? In the fucking app folder.

where are they in windows? appdata, local, roaming, documents/my games, documents,

don't even get me started on the registry.

Windows should give up on backwards compatibility and get rid of the fucking registry and dos.

I can't stand OSX for most things but the way they handle application data (and updates) are all superior to windows, it's fucking embarrassing

Cred Forums, where you'll get help, but you'll get called a niggerfaggot while you're getting that help.

You can't really do that, it just moves the files but games or whatever the fuck will still have it to C:/.

He needs to create a Symbolic Link.

howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

I suppose you're right.

Yeah, I was working on a webdev shit project for a few weeks and I'm still cleaning up files from installing the tools for that because there's shit in program data, program data (x86), appdata, my documents, the C root, etc., and the uninstalled only removed parts of the folders in program data, while on OSX or Linux removing them and their dependencies would be one or two commands.

And what's up with having 100 different VC++ redistributables? At that point your programs might as well be statically linked.

Not true, moving the documents folder using this method will create a symbolic link, windows supports moving the location of folders this way, anything that would normally be saved to C:\user\documents will be saved to where ever you change the documents folder to, that is of course, as long as the program uses %documents%, if it's poorly coded, then what you're saying is true, but most games are not THAT poorly coded.

I've had all my library folders (downloads, documents, music, etc) on a secondary drive for the last year and only once or twice did I have to dive into C:\ to fix something that saved there incorrectly.

>games or whatever the fuck will still have it to C:/.
Almost none of them do. The only exceptions I can think of are games that only save in the game folder to begin with and for some reason Metal Gear Rising.

It's because Microsoft doesn't keep track of dependencies nor does it keep track of what files are installed when you run an installer.

think about it like this: you run an installer and it shits files all over your system, when you run the uninstaller, you'd assume it would delete all those files.

but the truth is, since the installer and the uninstaller have DIFFERENT LISTS of files to look for, uninstallers almost always leave shit behind.

And Microsoft not only has no control over any of this, they don't fucking care to.

On linux, if you launch an app, and it needs something, it will either prompt you to download it, or it downloaded it when you installed it. On windows, it says "WHOOPS YOU DON'T HAVE C++ SOMETHING OR OTHER. GOOD LUCK FIXING THAT"

I have no idea why they won't fix this, it would be so easy to have a layer between you and the app that says "this program requires X, would you like to download it?" and it seems that SOME microsoft apps do this, but they don't have a framework for it to be done all the time.

Well it doesn't create a symbolic link like that, but rather it creates a shortcut to your library which is another list of shortcuts. A symbolic link would still refer to C:/Users/XXX/Documents eventhough the physical location is elsewhere.

There's also no %document% or %documentroot% enviroment variable.

That doesn't sound very elegant either. Sounds like it would be pretty unorganized to just slap everything into one folder.

I like Linux's file structure. Pretty self explanatory once you get to know them.

calm down cutie

I'm not cute don't call me fucking cute i'll end you.

it's not perfect but it's much better than microsoft, and at least I know if I delete the fucking app folder, all it's files are gone.

Fair enough.

The fact that you need third party uninstallation software that have to use algorithms to delete all the information left by programs after deletion is just kinda fucked.

Why don't more programs store their user information inside the program folder anyways? Is there a legit reason for it?

CUTE!!

Linux isn't perfect either, my hole folder is sprayed full of liquid shit in the form of hidden folders and files for different things. For example every single game I've played seems to make its own hidden folder.

The way Microsoft has set up their OS means that you need special privileges to write new files to anything in /program files/, they also encourage devs to save data in 'appdata' and other stupid places.

Basically, one guy at microsoft had a good idea for how to handle applications, and then another guy had another idea, and then another guy had another idea, and etc. etc. and instead of redoing how it was handled with each iteration, they just implemented the new way, but KEPT SUPPORTING THE OLD WAY.

This means that there's like 7 or 8 different ways to do this shit now, and devs just do whichever they feel is easier for them.

fine.

Well, thats better than most places i guess

User accounts don't always have write access to those files. The only folders you can be sure the user has write access to are the default ones inside their own user folder.

Home folder*

>save files are over 100G

>\My Documents\Documents\Shadowrun Returns

I'll do you one better.

C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\my games\Skyrim\\F;)Games)Steam)steamapps)common)Skyrim)TESV\savedata\TESV\skyrim

I don't even. What happened Todd?

Oh wow, that doesn't look normal at all.

Those are where the programs store user files. You know, it's sort of unavoidable because programs need read/write access.
The difference is, all those files are saved in the home folder in the same location with the same naming format, and is hidden in order to not clutter things the fuck up.

It would be like every single program in windows saves a folder called .firefox .minecraft or whatever in your home folder all in the same place. A lot less fuss than having to chase down files in either your home folder, my documents, the various appdata folders or even the damn registry like it's a damn easter hunt.

It's probably because I have steam installed on F:\ but no other game has a fucked up save folder due to that. Good job Bethesda.

>\F;)Games)Steam)steamapps)common)Skyrim)TESV is the name of a folder

good job.

Yeah but everything else in that folder is grouped, e.g. I have a documents folder, a pictures folder, etc.. Optimally I would have wanted a saved games folder with non-hidden folders because that'd make it easy to delete save files and easy to look through the other hidden files in the home directory. Still way better than Windows obviously.

but why not just save them all in a folder within the home folder?

home/applications for example? I just don't get why no OS cares about clutter.

Linux file structure is fine, until you you realize there may or may not be a config file somewhere.
And then its stupid.

It can be in bin, etc, proc, var, tmp, usr, home, lib(has happened), and in worst case: There is a config on srv.

Its much better than "may or may not be anywhere in any random standard folder or register", but its still bad.

Imagine the kind of poo in loo coder that causes an error like this. Really makes you understand why Bethesda games are the way they are.

Is there even a point in still having a registry system?

Yes, to have a central set of files that can't be edited by unprivileged users.
Reality: Its a monkey shitfest with 30 years of legacy now, mercy kill it

what game does this? isn't this usually just poor programming?

Maybe there's some programmy computer sciency answer for it. Maybe it's just laziness. Or maybe just because it's easier to write ~/.firefox than ~/"userdata"/.firefox.

Hm. I've never really found that to be a problem, but maybe that's just me. I'm not exactly a hardcore user. The times I've needed to configure or look into something related to a program I've found all I need in /etc and the dot files/folders.

Everything about Bethesda games feels hacked together and utterly bodged, their entire engine is kinda a joke, anyone whose ever attempted to mod it knows this.

If they want to add a new feature, they just fucking hack it in, if they can't get it to work, they just don't do it.

Some games do it because it's better to have multiple save files than just one. So if things fuck up you are just screwed out of some progress instead of all of it. Like Witcher 1.

And of course, more complex games tend to need bigger save files. Like Paradox games.

Not really. Ordinary configurable text files are usually a more simpler and a more elegant solution. At least in my experience.

I guess sort of, in a laymans retarded terms, imagine having one of these configuration programs that configures and saves information on every single program on your computer, instead of you editing the ini files of individual programs yourself.

It sort sounds good on paper, but it quickly becomes a volatile mess.

It reminds me how a modder would go about doing something with no access to the source code or game editors.

It sort of works, but not very well.

damn I never knew about that

>Something is wrong in a graphic driver
>Trying to find out which folder the config is in
>Pray its named in a manner so it can be found
Been there done that, seen worse with Windows SSD drivers in regedit