cdn.squares.im/pony/pic/user/2016/07/675413ff0a637e5d5eca3e590c207973.png
youtube.com/watch?v=efyufhtO7VU
derpicdn.net/img/view/2014/6/15/653420.jpg
youtube.com/watch?v=Ax2LeOBh43w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

it isn't though

Give a single argument insinuating that Gone Home is in fact a video game

/thread

It might be a video game by general definition, but it's not a "video game" by Cred Forums standards, which is perfectly acceptable.

>op isnt a faggot

It literally isn't, a 'game' has an objective or win condition, Gone Home has neither.

>OP is a cuckold.

Minecraft creative mode has no objective or win condition and you would call it a video game

Haven't played it, but how someone here described it to me was pretty funny. Something about breaking into someone's house to rummage through a gay kid's stuff.

>Media so shit the only thing worth talking about is if it meets the criteria of video game or not

It is now.
youtube.com/watch?v=DxyadCHxUng

Oh I get it! It's funny, because fedoralords actually love Gone Homo.

Gone Homo to video games is like Youtube videos to movies

>an alternate mode in a video game somehow invalidates it's title as video game
Great logic there retard

So, A GAME has an EXTRA MODE and that one MODE that is an EXTRA to an entire GAME isn't a GAME itself? Please just kill your self.

Minecraft had nothing but creative at first and it was still a video game

Wasn't that only the alpha?

>no, YOU are the fedora!
The most fedora of defenses

So an ALPHA of a not finished product, is comprable to gone hone ...

Yeah that sounds right.

>games are not games until they enter beta stage

>gone home is a video game

it does actually. You "win" by defeating the ender dragon.

ender dragon wasn't in minecraft for ages

Ok Cred Forums let's define a game once and for all.
Some suggestions:

>Must have a lose or win condition

>must be controllable

>you can do more things besides walking and interacting

nice b8 m8

2 first are OK, last one is not

Why isn't the last one ok?

Change your first point to lose condition only. Survival games and MMOs are games you can lose or "die" in but not "win" in a traditional sense.

yeah fucking exactly, An alpha is a PROOF OF CONCEPT. an example of a proposed idea working. there is a reason you don't sell alphas well unless you are on the PC and desperate for anything you can try to call a game, hence gone home.

Most first person puzzle games are based around walking and interacting only.

Because everything can be considered interacting.
Definitions must not contain incredibly ambiguous terms like that.

Must have control over the outcome
Must have a fail state

What about "examining" something? Either by a prompt giving some text about the object or just looking at it?

Does it have gameplay?
Yes?
Then it's a game.
Why are you fuckers overcomplicating this

What if we have 2 different catagories, like, videogame and "interactive story" or "controllable experience"
Shovel knight is a videogame
Journey is a "controllable experience"

People argue that walking and looking around is gameplay

but it is

It sounds redundant to add extra conditions like that.

If it has winning or losing and you can affect those (or at least probabilities of those), it's enough for it to be a game.

Gone Home is about as much of a game as the select screen on a blu ray

Seems like a pointless discussion

The term videogame I feel has become restrictive

I liked Gone Home though, environmental storytelling is nice

>google Shovel Knight
>kickstarted 2d indie retro shit

>needing to google shovel knight

Thats wrong memer

We have this thread every week OP

>I liked Gone Home

?

Sorry for not playing every flavour of the month.
How's that thick robot game?

>I don't like Gone Home, it has subject matters that go against my political beliefs

correct, that is infact what I typed
I continue to like it

The time capsule nature of it all is very interesting to me

>see this b8 thread in catalog
>gonna reply but think it would be better to let it die
>open other thread
>go back to catalog
>55 replies
godammit Cred Forums, this is why the other boards make fun of you

It doesn't matter if its a game or not.
It's still shit.

It's objective was to get creative and make shit

>defending gone home

>Life is Strange isn't a video game

WHY ARE THEY WEARING HATS?

WHY WOULD ANYBODY WEAR A HAT IN 21ST CENTURY?

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THOSE PEOPLE?

>ugh people like things I don't

This tho.

Just imagine if this came out today rather than 2003, after when the last two had guise doing guise stuff.

How would Cred Forums react do you think? It has all the same stuff, that modern games would get accused of as sjw themein.

There isn't really anything that stands out as being offensive about it.
Perhaps it was overpriced but thats all I can think of.

The devs executed their idea quite well, its a perfect product to me. They didn't really do anything wrong.

>10 (You)s
cheers boyo

np m8

But it is. From the second you can look around, it is gameplay, therefore it's a game.

And if you can't even interact with stuff, just look around, it's still a video game, you autists are trying too hard.

no one enjoys it here bro, take your mamaries some where else

>It literally isn't, a 'game' has an objective or win condition, Gone Home has neither.

This is false. You don't even have to look past video games themselves to find counterexamples to this. What is the win condition or goal in Sim City?

When kids play make believe, we call it a game. "Game" is a notoriously hard term to define, but it's been well established that win conditions are not a prerequisite for something to be considered a game.

If you don't like Gone Home because you think it's boring or because you associate it with SJWs, fine, say so, but this spurious "not a video game" trash just makes you look uneducated.

>It has all the same stuff, that modern games would get accused of as sjw themein.

I don't know user. Silent Hill 3 isn't preachy and it isn't pretentious. It's done with taste, created by talented artists with passion and heart. It wasn't created to further an agenda - it was created to be fun.

I get what you say though - today Sh3 would cause a political shit storm. Nobody gave a fuck in 2003.

>if I don't like it then it's shit REEEEEE!

>WHY WOULD ANYBODY WEAR A HAT IN 21ST CENTURY?

To hide male pattern baldness.

>isn't preachy and it isn't pretentious.

So isn't Gone Home

CAN'T THEY JUST SHAVE THEIR HEADS LIKE NORMAL PEOPLE? OR GET A NICE HAIRCUT OR SOMETHING?

IT'S JUST SO SILLY LIKE THEY WATCHED TOO MANY OLD MOVIES

>So isn't Gone Home

I didn't play that. Didn't like the graphics. Is it fun?

you play it

You "play" DVDs and music too. Music and DVDs are video games now.

Yeah thats all i mean, the knee jer reaction...

>what the fuck is this?! SH has never just had a girl just "because"
>who the fuk is this ajw dev self insert, why is she so ugly?? anons who say this are fucking wrong Heather is a qt and best girl, i wanna sum of that pale frecker skin.
>oh look, ive got a only a pipe am stronk woman

And so on.

Can we just make this a Heather posting thread instead?

Also:

>official render. No sweater... Y u do this to me konami?

to play a game and to play a DVD/video, etc are different verbs.

>so is'nt gone home

Sorry user, im not trying to invalidate your opinion, but i kek'd yfw

Nice rebuttal

Its fun to explore the house, nice atmosphere

it wasn't a girl "just because" though
literally a continuation of SH1's story about cheryl

You have to understand that people conflate the reporting around these games with the games themselves. Take Virginia theres nothing really in there pushing an agenda and yet because it was championed by a certain sub-set of the industry it was opened up.

Which is not to say that there are not game with specific political agendas. Only that the issues of them being there or not is never really all that important to either side.

Thats pretty much exactly the anons point. That statement would be thrown out even though its completely fucking wrong and retarded.

After the direction SH2 took they didn't even have to explore that story any futher though. If anything, they probably did not have a better idea.

Also, after the success of the last two, would you not agree that placing it all on the shoulders of a grumpy looking teenage girl is a risky move. It gave us best SH tho.

This video is pretty gud about Heather by the way, any SH fans should deffo watch, i had not thought about all the stuff in here.

youtu.be/PsHa7pR9nVY

Also those panties.

>gone homo defense thread
>vaping thread on first page

wtf is happening to this place?

I think that all those people who bitch about all that you mentioned just didn't play vidya 10 or 15 years ago. Because it's nothing new.

Fucking Buffy game that came out in 2004 had lesbians joking about eating pussy. You play as one of them. Nobody gave a fuck. It would be a shit show today.

No you WATCH dvds and LISTEN to music faggot

Cred Forums is turning into Cred Forums

ALSO,

It is well documented that it is BECAUSE of the female devs/artists at team silent that Heather even had some "sexy" design features like the mesdy hair and exposed legs and arms.
The male devs came to a middle ground that the female devs probably knew what they were talking about, when it came to Heather and fashion and still being a girl at the end of the day with a girls "needs".

The orginal designs the male devs were pushing for would have had Heather turn out like pic related.

>HEH, YOU STUPID ENTITLED GAMERGATERS! You think Gone Home isn't a game? Well, I say it is and it deserves to exist and it's the most beautiful story of all time what do you have to say to that??? *sucks dick, constructs a BLM sign, shops for new problem glasses*
>"Ok it's a game, but it's a really shitty game"
>LIKE, I DON'T EVEN UGH

I didn't know that. She looks like James.

>oh yeah why is it shitty
>UGH IT HAS HOMOSEXUALITY THEMES IN THERE AND THAT IS SJW AND GOES AGAINST MY BELIEFS

Tell me the appeal of gone home

Atmosphere

Engaging story, kinda like Updated my Journal, except without unfitting D&D mechanics.

Because it has a gay story and a little bit below bare gameplay, and if you think that's not the best game forever you're a shitlord super-nazi and needs to check your privilege apparently.

Hmm maybe this.
Its reasonable to think that if tge skw issue on one far silde is a "milennial" problem, then maybe knee jerk "anti-sjw" who bring tge subjects up more on the other far side, is ALSO a millenial problem.

I was 13 in 2003 and didnt give a fuck, still dont.

Amazing dev docu right here. One of the devs talk about it at some point half way i think.
Good comfy informitive dev watch in general. Remember when Konami used to release these DVDs with the game??

It has none

Oops forgot the link!

Here: youtu.be/7f6EWqCscyc

What did you call me you fucking SJW faggot jew nigger cuck?
I'll have you know I have over 3000 posts on Stormfront and half of them involve Pepe the frog or Trump in some way

>Atmosphere
Oh wow, it's not like every game ever strives for atmosphere. Here's the amazing part, other games can have atmosphere without giving up every single other part of the game, they can still provide more than just walking around and looking at things.

OY VEY, SETTLE DOWN GOYIM, NO NEED TO GO ALL SHOAH ON ME

So an interactive audio-book about lesbians is entertaining?

Wrong

>just walking around and looking at things.
Not enough pew pew for you?

>Not enough pew pew for you?
>All gameplay = durrrr shooters hurrrf 4 dum ppl

>best character the least important one
>Lezzie girl is main becuz progressive, if she was hetero she wouldn't have a single redeemable quality.
>player is a lesbian pink haired girl who is in the military. There is no single valid reason why this happens.
>wife a whore and its shit

Even if gone homo was a game it is a shallow experience. It is designed for people that prefer soap operas instead of vidya. Enjoy your power levels you waste of oxygen.

>ill make a shit thread like this and everyone will like me and think im funny

I AM ANGRY. ANGRY AT VIDEO GAMES

>Not enough pew pew for you?
Yes, at least then it would be able to advertise the existence of a game mechanic.

Exploration is a gameplay mechanic kid, stick to CSGO or CoD

youtube.com/watch?v=DxyadCHxUng

Gone Home is a game.
The problem isn't that it's not a game, but what kind of game it is versus what it was advertised as.
The game was advertised as a sort of Myst-like game, when what it really was was a walking simulator (which there are, despite what Cred Forums thinks, good walking simulators) with poor writing and hamfisted lesbians.

> Kid
Jim Sterling's whale wife detected

Did anybody here finished the game under two hours and immediately refunded it afterwards?

But it's just ONE game mechanic. One. At least Cock of Dundy has more than one.

Naah m8, pirated it. Everything gone gnome did, silent hill shattered memories did better.

If you can finish a game in 2 hours or less, then you owe it to yourself to get a refund.

So by your logic Quake 3 is worse than CoD since CoD has more mechanics

>defending garbage because you don't want to seem like a fedora
autisticuck

>dwarf fortress isn't a game
>MMORPGs aren't games
>the entire open world survival genre is not a game

>i ask why gone home is piss
>ppl give me solid arguments why its piss
>lemme pick the weakest argument and "kick the patriarchy"
Youre in the wrong place m80

>>attacking good games because you don't want to seem like a SJW
Twat

The saddest part is that these people actually exist. My university has tons of them. Some of them vape, too.

>Youre in the wrong place m80
Give it time, Cred Forums is turning into Cred Forums and soon faggots like him will be normal.

>I tell him it has exploration
>HURR NO YOU NEED A LOT OF MECHANICS TO BE GOOD, DOESN'T EVEN ENOUGH MECHANICS TO MATCH COD
>so other less mechanically complex games are bad
>.......GET OUT.......

You tried

>there is no valid reason to...

There is no valid reason to not.

>player is lezzie with pink hair

This is incorrect sir, notes are about lezzie with pink hair.

I didnt even rate it that good user, but it was free on PSN, had been made noteworth by Cred Forums that i thought I would investigate. Went in partly blind and was fairly engaged when i found secret doors and creepy dark basements n shiet, but then later realised it was a free camera cutscene when all the mystery shit relating to the actual house died down.

It should not cost what it does, and i would not have picked it up if it had actually cost me anything...

>that belly button
dealbreaker desu

>Bringing a 17 year old game into a debate about modern games

Please try again, I'm sure you're capable of some reasonable debate

HIGH
TEST

>Cred Forums constantly says Quake 3 is the best FPS ever
>can't even compete with CoD in mechanical complexity

>>Cred Forums constantly says Quake 3 is the best FPS ever
Cred Forums also constantly shits on Quake 3 you mongoloid.

It's almost like a decade and a half of game development industry changes, technique changes, and budget increases has somehow changed the atmosphere of development of games.

Weird how improved development cycles and larger budgets can increase the amount of features, mechanics, and content a game has the potential to provide.

What is bad about vaping? Is this a nu-male thing all of a sudden?

The only person that I know who does it is my brother who is a redneck, and we're all just glad he stopped doing meth and smoking shitty smelling cigs.

Thanks!

But the voth is so pretty user... Best Jill.

Of course it's a fucking video game.

They tend to be the redditor neckbeard types. It doesn't smell bad, but the huge clouds it leaves everywhere are obnoxious.

I think we can agree that it is a video game, just a bland and boring one that isn't worth the $19.99 they charge for it.

Also because at least when it first began, it was a really unknown thing that hipster-types always fucking latch on to. Especially since it's a "healthy" alternative to shitty fuckin cigarettes.

>Gone Home is a video game

>Gone Home and Virginia are beautiful games

Up voting this for truth

So you agree Quake 3 is outdated and arachic

>when you're abraham lincon and you time travel to the wrong era and gotta fit in

I generally dont know who ecelebs or stream faggots are, but I am curious whether TotalBiscuit has died of ass cancer yet.

Nice bait

Is it not gameplay when you are walking and looking around an abandoned section of the ship in system shock or Thief? How little of a game like Grim Fandango or Planescape:Torment would you consider actually part of the game or gameplay?

Nice bait

Are you a girl? I get this feeling when ever you type an argument that you sound like one.

What is Gone Home? I see people whine about it being a movie but I've never seen jack shit about it. Would watching it on youtube be the same as playing it or am I missing something by not playing it?

Gone Home captured a specific part of 90's atmosphere very well, had detailed environments that felt lived in and the dad's story was interesting as fuck. It had some comics in it that, while actually reflective of the developers insane beliefs, fit in an angsty teenage lesbian's room, which is all that matters, and it used a gay couple for it's coming of age story. I don't see what is so offensive about this as a game,outside of it being in a less interactive sub-genre of Adventure games. Sure gaming media naming a game like this as "best of the year" is stupid but gaming media has been shit far before Gone Home.

You don't play it, you suffer it.

>posting fedora defense to the most fedora product of the decade

Gotta love hypocrisy.

You're *this* close to realizing that "fedora" has lost all meaning as an insult.

How is this more fedora than Battleborne or Wheels of Aurelia?

So Gone Home is a video game then.

Yes, it is indeed a fucking video game. You cannot make a coherent case against this notion.

you can literally beat the "game" in under 5 mins. most of it is just walking around doing nothing.

*tips*

>Would watching it on youtube be the same as playing it?

Yes.

Seeing shit like this receive praise from critics is insulting to both developers and customers.

I can easily pick out a bunch of reasons why the game is dogshit even when compared to similar games like Dear Esther or The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

>shit story/story-telling (whoops nobody is home and bothered to make it very easy for you to know where they are, the kitchen is fucking locked for some reason btw your sister is a lesbian and she ran away from home here are some other facts about your family's darkest secrets we've left lying around for no reason) oh and also even though you're supposed to get the story from exploring and piece it together yourself we'll shove the lesbian shit down your throat so you can't escape it
>dull environment to explore
>moronic progression (click on every single thing until you find the one document at random that tells you about a hidden passageway to find another hidden passageway to find a key to the end of the game)
>$20 for 1 1/2 hours of gameplay

I have no issues with calling Gone Home a game because it triggers SJW's much harder to explain how, as a game, it's a giant piece of shit. This game getting fucking 10/10 scores and being considered for GOTY lists is the kind of shit that led to GG happening in the first place; fucking nepotism and liberal cocksucking all around.

>computer program
So consoles don't play video games? Consoles irredeemably BTFO.

What if I change the established definition of video game to be less video and more game?

sounds stupid. It's just some dollar steam title then?
K I'll just watch it then to see what the fuss is.

>believes user reviews which are all just angry goobers upset at any sight of different views

mature video game for mature gamers

Yeah I'll go with the critics reviews instead which are not biased in any way.

You can beat Morrowind in 3 minutes therefor its bad

Yes, if you change the definition of "video game" to exclude Gone Home, then you can make a case for Gone Home not being a video game.

They are far less biased and even played the games themselves, something the other users can't say

>critics are biased argument

user....
You're stupid.

>It's just some dollar steam title then?
youtube.com/watch?v=jH7EZcMjj4Y

basically SJW praised the fuck out of it like it was the second coming of christ when in reality its just extremely pretentious shit. it even got awards LMAO

>“I never expected to see myself — or such a strong reflection of myself and my own life — in a video game.”
10/10 – Polygon

literally taken from the steam page

mfw they charge $20 for this piece of shit

>They are far less biased
sure buddy

>critics aren't biased
As above

polygon loves shit games. They've praised "Virginia" in a similar fashion, and that game has even less actual gameplay than Gone Home.

>sure buddy
Wow good rebuttal there

>its just extremely pretentious shit.

Go ahead and explain how the game is pretentious at all

>Wow good rebuttal there
Wow good rebuttal there

at least morrowind has some sort of functionality and gameplay. what a shit comparison. morrowind is still shit though.

>polygon loves shit games
Fitting, since they're shit at actually playing games

$20?
Well fuck that I'm definitely just watching it on youtube then
Or not, it sounds like bland politicized media

I shouldn't have to if you know what the definition of pretentious is. Use your brain for once?

Not really. You control your character with no real goal and nothing to do other than wonder around.

At least in Minecraft the world is infinite and you can craft and build shit. It's a huge house with nothing to do in it other than walk around. Where is the game in that? What do you "play"?

when you "play" something on computer. that's it. it's a video game.

What do you do when you are doing nothing but exploring and reading lore in something like Thief?

I guess its technically a video game but its about 95% video and about 5% game

Make your own dictionary and hope everyone will accept that new definition.

I won'the you fucking abortion Gone Wrong.

>this thread
I want redditors to leave

inb4 typical reddit response that EVERYONE browses both

>can't explain how its pretentious

Typical

>all of a sudden?

No, always.

Ok, because u r dum m8. I will explain why it's pretentious, using the definition of pretentious because that's why it's fucking pretentious.

It is pretentious because it is having or showing the unpleasant quality of something that wants to be regarded as more important than it actually is.

Do you get it now buddy?

I thought we agreed that e-celeb and shovelware indie (specially hipster) would no longer be allowed on Cred Forums

All e-celeb threads are being deleted (good!) but what about those Gone Homo and shit shovelware?

the mods agreed to ban them didn't they?

>it should be against the rules to talk about games I dislike
Come off it, you clown.

>It is pretentious because it is having or showing the unpleasant quality of something that wants to be regarded as more important than it actually is.

Where in the game do they do this

youtube.com/watch?v=p9qlm8olmn0

>47 sec
wew lads

So easy to offend these new polsters.

no no no we agreed last week. There was like 15 threads here
e-celeb and hipster indie is cancer we agreed to ban them

System shock and thief have more too it than just looking at shit though, there's game play besides that

It's entire premise is pretentious, its story is pretentious, its simple gameplay in order to make way for the story is pretentious, its focus on homosexuality in its during CURRENT YEAR when this stuff is trendy to care about is pretentious.

"We" didn't agree. The authoritarian cunts who actually posted in those retarded "How to fix Cred Forums" threads did.

By some definition it's a video game. It's still a shit-tier video game with no engaging gameplay, a boring story, and mediocre graphics. The people who champion it also happen to be the people who most belong inside an oven.

Check my five.

And yet the exploration is gameplay too. That's his point and that's one of the reasons why Gone Home is indeed a video game.

>that 3 paragraph long "fast fact"
This will always be the only part that really manages to make me mad. Michael Cera hasn't been the star in a mainstream movie in the last 10 years, Aziz Ansari basically has never been a star actor.

Also, John Wayne is a fat, overrated tard.

Then we will be well on our way to the hugbox utopia Cred Forums was always meant to be.

>People who disagree with me are neckbeards.
>No, people who disagree with ME are neckbeards!

What do actual neck bears do? Outside of go on WoW raids and talk about Star Wars, I mean.

No no no no no no
The authoritarians are the people who post indie garbage and e-celeb like every 1 minute and this was destroying Cred Forums

We came to the conclusion we had to do something otherwise Cred Forums should be closed because there is already Cred Forums for postings like were happening here.

One of the main things was shovelware indie spam. Like in this thread.

We either ban this threads or we should move to IGN forums

"Gone Home is a remarkable first person adventure that tells one of the finest stories I've ever experienced in games" -IGN

I got that shit for free on psn and still feel ripped off. All you do is walk like wtf.

>it has political themes I don't like therefore its pretentious

Yeah man I got ADHD and going 5 seconds with shooting hurts my head

>hamfisted agenda-pushing that pretends to be some masterwork of storytelling isn't pretentious

Katawa Shoujo is a videogame.

Okay. I'll bite Gone Homo can be called a game. Interactive medium and all that. BUT anyone trying to argue it's a good game is fucking delusional and should probably be gassed.

Wow, whoever drew/wrote that is the angriest, most impotent son of a bitch I've seen in months.

We get it, you're old.

None of that stuff is inherently pretentious. A coming of age story is pretentious? A narrative focused game having simple gameplay is pretentious? Are you retarded or just pretending?

That's what you call a sandbox game, or a "simulator."

>hamfisted
>finding a few notes which say your sister is lesbian is hamfisting
>its agenda pushing if it has themes that i don't like

How does the game itself pretend to be a masterwork?

I don't even get this retarded discussion. It's perfectly fine to say that Gone Home is a shitty game with little to no gameplay. There's no reason to pretend like it's not a game at all, though.

This is now a KS thread
t. cuck. I bet you don't even lift

No, it's pretentious because it's trying to be more important than it really is, because that's the definition of pretentious that I had to fucking explain to you you troglodyte.

Maybe, if this game was released significantly earlier than it was released it could be considered "out-there" but it wasn't, it was released when this shit was guaranteed to be a success during a time when caring about LGBT is trendy, and it's being praised as some dumb "important" shit, despite not changing anything.

I don't even know why I'm bothering to respond to you, I take the time to respond to your requests and when I do you don't even bother attending each part.

Yes, it is pretentious as fuck.

Visual Novel

It's a walking simulator. It barely meets the definition of a game.
The fact that it's a particularly uninteresting walking simulator with shit-tier themes makes it the target.

>

walking simulators are games though and if you disagree you're wrong

I play your moms pussy, doesn't make her a video game

no but it does make her a normal non video game

I don't disagree. Visual novels are also games.
They're barely games.

t. Typical wannabe-brownshirt that spends all day jacking off to chinese cartoons.

Get a job.

How is that stuff "pretentious as fuck" because it isn't inherent in what you described, in fact what you described is generally not at all pretentious. Why does it HAVE to be important to be good simply because it has a gay character? The game itself doesn't even try to do or say anything positive about homos except represent a homosexual character.

>it's pretentious because it's trying to be more important than it really is

Only SJW fanbase are doing that, the game itself is not pretentious

I work at a railroad as an engineer. Get a mans job cuck.

That's fair. How about "If you like Gone Home, you are a pretentious fuck who almost certainly belongs in a furnace"?

>Starbucks barista telling me to get a job

That was embarassing, and reflects the developers views, but it fits in it's spot in the game perfectly so it really isn't a valid complaint by itself. It isn't represented as anything other than a teenagers possession in the game. The only politics the game itself pushes is empathy with homosexuals as people like any other character in a game, and not actively but just by having that character exist.

>Takes place in Portland
>Progressive values in 1995
>Plot is about being uplifted by transcending societal norms
Incorrect

From what I remember, it doesn't really judge the relationship as anything other than how the characters are shown to feel about it. It's a coming of age story about kids in love that just uses lesbians instead of a straight couple.

Is that what boomers really think of young people?

You shouldn't get so mad over a 'game' that you change the definitions of games to keep them out.

Yes. They're so angry because we won't sit down and shut up while they rot the country to death.

They're angry that we aren't them.

wtf i like boomers now

it is but a very bad one that doesn't utilize its medium well and would be better off as any other medium

Isn't Gone Home the reason why Goobergate decided that Visual Novels actually WERE video games after all?

>it's wrong to be hygienic
>it's wrong to dress fashionably
>it's wrong to have fun
>basically, it's wrong to be normal

Is this satire? It has to be satire. Nobody's this retarded/disconnected from reality.

>doesn't utilize its medium well
>literally you are in control the entire game with no cutscenes and cinematics and explore the environment to figure out the story

Oh well...they'll die soon enough.

No idea what you're talking about.

I recognize it as a form of Interactive Media. Its not a game in a traditional sense.

So Myst isn't a game, ok

you walk around as voice overs explain the story

>all these people don't know how to use the fedora meme properly and just accuse each other of wearing one
Just as bad as christian fundamentalists using it against anyone who doesn't adopt a religion.

No you read notes

Then you missed most of the game I guess, or didn't even play it. The best part was the dad characters letters hidden around the house.

It has video.

It is a game. (it has a goal and mechanics you use to achieve that goal)

it does not have a failure state.

Technically, Gone Home is closer to a video game then it is a toy, since it has a narrative thread and an end goal.

People argue that games need a failure state, but most narrative games don't have failure states, when you die, you continue, that isn't a failure state, it's a setback, and so, games like Gone Home without failure states aren't all that different.

>atmospheric puzzle game
>walking simulator

The arguement against Gone Home is that it's just a bunch of text and visuals, and therefore, not a game. The same thing use to be said time and again about Visual Novels. In fact, the reason why /jp/ was originally created was because Cred Forums hated Touhou and Cred Forums said that Visual Novels weren't games, so they got thier own containment board.

But, during Gamergate, it was dis covered that SJWS hate Visual Novels be a use they're 90% porn, so the Goobergate on Cred Forums decoded that Isa novels were games again, purely because they hate SJWs.

The most aggravating part was when the chick you play as groaned when she found the dad's porn stash. "LIKE OMG DAD WHY WOULD YOU HAVE A SEXUALITY LIKE SRSLY STOP"

It is a videogame

But it's a shit one, so who cares

Gamer Gate was the best success.

Anti-SJWs want their own games in order to counter what they see as a tidal wave of "SJW agenda pushing games", which is fine, but it's funny that none of them ever have a point beyond LOL U MAD?? U MAD?? U TRIGGERED?? xD

I'd be interested to see an anti-SJW game made which actually had some merit beyond appearing to be nothing more than babby's first edge from Newgrounds circa 2002.

Just more proof that conservatives can cry about liberals ruining their media all they want, but liberals are more likely to be creative, simple as that. Just like how men are more likely to become coders and such. When conservatives cry about a lack of representation they are literally just as bad as the women crying about a lack of representation. It's not happening because of dark shadowy forces and agendas, it's just the nature of things.

>game i like is atmospheric puzzle game, the same exact kind of game as mine favorite is walking simulator

Would you be glad you were able to find your moms porn stash?

>being this mad over a cartoon
I bet you're one of those faggots who unironically think Pepe is an alt-right nazi hate symbol too.

>nothing, just my contrived headcanon
I see.

>puzzle game
>gone home
pick one

I think there's quite a spectrum of reactions between "being glad" and self-righteous condemnation.

Cred Forums is a counter-culture, they don't have culture of their own, they are united based on what they dislike, not what they like, that is the definition of counter-culture.

There's a reason that 90% of the content posted here is negative, e.g. it's bitching about something, or making fun of people for doing something.

Cred Forums does not have it's own culture, it has only, the counter, to the culture it hates.

I don't really remember the groan as condemnation, just grossed out like a normal person would be. Could be either one that was intended but I don't remember seeing it like that and I also would have been mildly annoyed.

But thief is a stealth game? The main core of it is navigating areas and solving puzzles while hiding from the enemy. It forces you to think and act quickly and clearly has fail states.

It is a classic video game. Lorr and stuff is just extras to flesh out the world. Good stuff but without the core it's not a game just like a hunk of metal without an engine isn't car. It has wheels and steering wheel and the look of a car, but it doesn't actually do anything.

>turning a nob
>puzzle

She actually exclaimed "Oh dad!" as if he had done something wrong.

So if adding text means you're butthurt, how butthurt do you have to be to draw the original image in the first place? That guy must have been mad as fuck

Haven't played Myst, eh lad?

>it does not have a failure state.

That kind of disqualifies it from being a game. How can something be a game if you can't even lose?

Yes. That is exactly what alpha means.

Make a passive aggressive sjw retort out of this one.

If The 7th Guest is a game so is Gone Home.

>That kind of disqualifies it from being a game.
Wrong

I just disagree that it doesn't do anything alone, I love Thief's gameplay but I would also have loved it if it had been just built around telling it's story through that world the way it does when there are no enemies around.

are we still doing the "tip fedora" bullshit?

Literally any game with no definitive Game Over doesn't have an absolute failure state. Just think of most point&click adventures or exploration games like Yume Nikki.

It's clearly a satirical image m8, stay mad.

Every modern adventure/hidden object game doesn't have a failure state. Your point?

Goddamn how new are you?
When /qa/ first opened, the entire board flew into one of its biggest piss fits because moot questioned what bad dragon dildos and other shit had to do with video games, to which Cred Forums screamed that it was thier "board culture".

Yeah but it wasn't a somber and depressed "oh dad" like he was abusing women by owning it, it just seemed like a reaction from a kid who doesn't think about their parents being sexual in that way finding their parents masturbation material is all.

Ah so the original image is actually making fun of antiSJWs, now I get it.

That makes sense though, since it shows their dependency on strawmen arguments and memes.

And even if it was,which is possible, I still would see it as a representation of that character, the game itself doesn't seem to demonize the dad, much less for his sexuality.

derailing this thread with insects

Please stop trying to reason with him, let him have his victim complex.
>t-they're shaming me for being straight! they're the new nazis guys!!

Never been a Cred Forumstard. I took a break from Cred Forums in 2011 because it was getting overrun by redditors and tumblerinas. I see that hasn't changed.
Also
>mods trying to ban me
I've probably been coming here longer than any current mod or janitor

Cred Forums does actually hate Visual Novels because they're the same as Gone Home; all video, no game.

As for /jp/, it is a containment board, but for the trashes weeabo on the site.

It's a sad fact how /r9k/ took this and made normalfag a complete buzzword.

Get a life you desperate faggot.

>not tipping
0/10

>like he was abusing women by owning it
Maybe I didn't make myself clear, but I wasn't actually implying anything like that. The reason why her reaction bothered me was because it felt like the character was condemning the dad for having a sexuality (not for exploiting women) even though she was supposed to be a reasonable, level-headed college girl.

I will concede that this may just be a pet peeve of mine, but her reaction really made the main character a lot less likable to me. Considering that the game seemed to promote somewhat of a sex-positive attitude overall, I also perceived this as kind of a double standard.

>Cred Forums does actually hate Visual Novels
>see a VN thread and people are talking about the game and no one trying to argue what is a game or not

I hope you're not the same guy who accused "anti-SJWs" of depending on strawmen.

All adventure games I've played have scenarios where the player character dies if you don't solve a puzzle correctly. That's a failure state.

>All adventure games I've played have scenarios where the player character dies if you don't solve a puzzle correctly.
Who gives a shit what you have played? Countless adventure games *don't* include scenarios that allow for the player character to die. That's just a fact.

>Gone Home isn't very good video game.

fedora lords have changed user, now they're the cynical jaded pigs who support trump.

Take your political frustrations back to Cred Forums.

Everything on Cred Forums is satire

>it's a Cred Forums is an expert in videogames thread

In his defense it's always trump supporters that inject politics in every thread

You never played LucasArts games huh

More moths

BASED MOTH BRO

I've been here far too long, Cred Forums thinks it has a culture, it does not, in fact it is often the new, or those who view it from a distance that believe it has a culture.

What else would it be?

That's actually genius. And there I was thinking another failed artist had decided to simply pander to a certain political alignment in order to cash in despite having very poor skills. After all, the "I like it because it's exactly what I wanted to hear" card is popular nowadays.

>You never played LucasArts games huh
Are you responding to the wrong person? (Later) LucasArts games in particular had a reputation of *not* allowing for the PC to die. There's even a joke about it in Monkey Island 3 when Guybrush fakes his own death.

>nowadays.
Yeah, that's a very recent sentiment.

It IS a game.

A garbage game that belongs in the trash.

Moths are fucking cute.

What if there was a moth that had the size and intelligence of a small dog

i'd lovingly nurture it and take it for walks and give it excellent taste in video games

same tbhonest

I know we'll never have moth waifus, but at least we can probably engineer a gigamoth at some point.

Id be willing to agree with this.

Dwarf fort is probably a game tho

We shouldn't be arguing whether something is a game or not.
We should be arguing whether something is a good game or not.

this one is disguising itself so birds dont prey on it

It is a game, Just not a good one.

it's not a video game, but it is more like one of those pretentious wooden abstract imagination toys from sweden that's supposed to be "deep" and "inspire thought" but in reality you just fiddle with it for a couple minutes and then throw it out.

It's a game without the risk of losing so it's on par with an Early Childhood game, which you don't see many people praising , but it technically is a game I guess

What if moths actually evolved to be so cute because then we would take care of them?

Except it is good hipsters

one of the biggest moths in usa (sadly)

what about it makes it a good videogame? what about it does it do better than if it were a short film or a novella?

>It's a game without the risk of losing so it's on par with an Early Childhood game
Or this one.

another disguise, resembles wood

>no challenge

It is a game for people who dont play video games, akin to the brain age games or farmville

Good controls, polished, atmosphere, good exploration

>muh challenge

Something losers spout cause they can't play a sport

It's more like it's a very short game. It's like playing a flash game. Even then I think games like "the room" were more challenging.

>Ass isn't a movie

cdn.squares.im/pony/pic/user/2016/07/675413ff0a637e5d5eca3e590c207973.png

/thread

Anyone who post "this", "/thread", or "underrated post" and adds nothing to the discussion should neck themselves

that's pretty cute user. that a mlp thing?

youtube.com/watch?v=efyufhtO7VU

Yes.
derpicdn.net/img/view/2014/6/15/653420.jpg

It's not a video game if I don't like it.

and finally, my favorite flying banana. you anons take care now.

A video game stops you from accessing more of it if you lack the necessary competence to keep going. This is usually done with bossfights, general increased challenge, etc.

Gone Home doesn't have that. There's no effort component, you just wander around and pretty much everything you do is very linear with no barrier to entry to further into the game.

Even the old text adventure games have more of a barrier component, in the form of having multiple routes and options and various instances of saying "Nope, you don't get this ending, you get htis one."

Gone Home only lets you walk through a house, read things, and then it ends. There's no mechanics to it aside from movement, looking around, and interacting with E. These are mechanics, sure, but they do nothing with them. Amnesia has the same amount of controls and yet there's an actual game component to it: Hiding, manipulating your environment physically, etc.

>I always buy a game from a certain developer

Dwarf Fortress does have a goal, though: To die in the most extravagant way possible. The entirety of the game's "fun" is based on how well it can make you suffer.

>A video game stops you from accessing more of it if you lack the necessary competence to keep going.
Guess any non-linear game like Fallout or Arcanum isn't actually a video game, then.

>Gone Home doesn't have that.

Except there is tard, its called exploring if you don't go around finding the right things then you can't advance

post more please

>tfw no gf to peg me

gone home probably is by any objective definition a video game

also SO to the dude post qt insects in the thread

what are you controlling that makes it stand out as good? as far as I can tell you slowly move around a 3d space with no ability to do anything other than slide around, with nearly no point to it either. Books have better controls because it's more complicated of a motion to turn a page.

movies and books can also be polished and have atmosphere, so I ask again, what makes it a good VIDEOGAME.

Fallout and Arcanum have numerous competence-based barriers to entry. Organization, strategic knowledge (Even baser amounts), time-keeping, etc.

And in both, you don't just walk around and read books, you actually have combat, dialogue challenges, etc.

Except you have to actively avoid them to do so, a self-made barrier to entry. Pretty much all of the journals/notes/what have you are glowing and stand out in the environment.

except for this one, in which you anti-trump faggots braught it up first as always.

Nigga u don't even play video games
how do you know what is video games and what isnt

Look we've had these autistic debates over and over and every single time it's blown to shit with an example of a game that Cred Forums approves of.

It's literally nothing more than "this isn't a game because I don't like it, this IS a game because I like it"

Personally I don't see why people aren't content to call Gone Home a videogame, just a very very shit one. I mean honestly, what the fuck is everyone demanding it not be called a game even trying to achieve? Even if they won, somehow, and Gone Home was OFFICIALLY "not a game" do you think it would be taken off game shelves? Taken off Steam? Of course not.

Someone help me to understand autism. How on earth can so many people dedicate so much time and effort into making such pointless arguments and trying to nail down exactly why Gone Home isn't a game when even if they finally do come up with a perfect argument, it's worthless anyway.

if it has a win condition or a lose condition it is a video game

gone home has a win condition, so it's a video game

>And in both, you don't just walk around and read books, you actually have combat, dialogue challenges, etc.
My point was that it's possible to ignore most of those elements and just walk straight to the end. You don't have to get better (in terms of improving your character), you can just bypass the majority of the competence-based barriers due to the non-linear design.

7th guest has puzzles though

i.e.: gameplay

Why is a barrier to continuing so important to a game being good at things other than gameplay though? If you were actually good at games and confident about it you wouldn't need a challenge barrier to enjoy every game if you enjoyed things about games other than just the gameplay itself.

>pretty much all the things you need to advance are glowing
So what? If I make a game that says: "push the button to win" and that's literally it, it still requires me to do something to advance and finish it.

You've fucked your own argument by backpeddaling to nothing more than "It's not a game because it's too easy"

So you are in agreement then that Gone Home has no barriers to entry, therefore making it not a video game?

>It still requires me to do something to advance to finish it
If you're gonna get that semantic, all movies you watch outside of theaters or television are video games, because you have to press play to advance to the finish.

Good job, you pedantic fuck.

He already said "The game stops you." If you're stopping yourself, then it's not the game stopping you.

It's like blaming someone else for you punching yourself.

are telltale's output video games? or is the walking dead also a walking simulator?

>So you are in agreement then that Gone Home has no barriers to entry, therefore making it not a video game?
No, I don't even grant you this core premise. I don't see why a, let's call it "barrier-based design" of the interactive environment should be a defining characteristic of video games. There are games with no such barriers, like the early Petz (Catz/Dogz) games, that I still wouldn't want to exclude from the category of "video games".

Neither Dark Souls nor Super Meat Boy have a failure state.
They keep going no matter how many times you die.

It is literally impossible to get a game over in Dark Souls, because no matter how much you fuck up, you still need to go on with what you fucked up.
Not so easy any more, is it?

It's not like OP made any attempt at generating discussion. All he did was post some neckbeard and greentext. That's all this thread really deserves is shit like "/thread".

Competence-based barriers just means that the game will not reward you with the rest of the game unless you're able to do something. Every rule has exceptions, but typically it's because it's made in such a way to be the exception. However, for every exception you can think of, you can think of a hundred games that follow the idea.

Gone Home was selling itself as a first person puzzle game a la Myst for quite some time, and those games DO have competence-based barriers in the form of an inability to solve puzzles stopping you from accessing later parts of the game. Gone Home lacks such a barrier, you can just walk straight to the end.

And Gone Home does stop you. Even entering the house requires problem solving unless you go out of your way to set the doors to unlocked by default.
The fact that GH's challenges are all extremely simplistic is irrelevant, by the way. The relevant thing is that the game does have barriers, so if that's your requirement for something to be a video game, then GH is one.

Even if you get a game over, you can just turn the game back on. Really, there is no true failure state for anyone playing a video game.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ax2LeOBh43w

Fair enough, I'll secede to that. However, I do have the right to say it's a bad game because it offers no challenge, thought, or effort.

actually, how easy does a game have to be before it stops being a game?
Is a math game for toddlers not a game, because it's too easy?

Anything that ends your progress and makes you fully revert to a previous state is a failure state.
And a failure state is a failure of the game design.
Dark Souls does it well, by managing resources involving deaths, like Humanity, and conserving progress, while allowing you to recover your lost progress.
A game that forces you to reload a savegame doesn't punish you for sucking at all, so by induction, a game where you can freely save has no challenge at all. See Skyrim.

david cage plz go

did I accidentally trigger a meme?
What do you mean?

This guy is cute. If he dressed better, I would fuck him.

I agree with everything you've said in this post, I just wouldn't draw the conclusion that Gone Home is not a game. I think of it as a game that rests solely on the player's willingness to engage with it, more specifically the player's willingness to explore the environment, not for the sake of discovering things that would help with game advancement, but for the sole purpose of finding additional "lore" fragments. Basically, I think of it as a game where the majority of actual gameplay is optional and the win condition can be easily met without much engagement. But a game nonetheless.

>However, I do have the right to say it's a bad game because it offers no challenge, thought, or effort.
Sure, I don't object to people calling Gone Home bad or shit.

I'd say once it becomes so easy you literally do not even have to interact with the game. Even David Cage games, FMV titles, ones where it's literally just press a button when it shows up on screen offer the challenge of timing.

That doesn't make them good, typically, but at there is some illusion of a competence-based barrier. If absolutely nothing can stop you from reaching the end other than the fact you literally have never played a game before in your life and can't figure them out, I'd hazard it's not much of a game.

I already seceded, but I still think it's awful and barely holds part of the necessities to be a video game.

Honestly, when playing Bloodborne I didn't really feel like it was a true challenge to recover lost progress. It was just going through the exact same area and doing the exact same things I did previously, up until that very point where I lost. It was just tedious and felt more like busy work than a true challenge.

Thread over.

Man, I would love to hear your opinion on "Virginia".

I only played the souls games, not bloodbourne so I can't really speak for it exactly, but in DeS for example, you could open shortcuts that let you reach your path quicker the next time you die. that way you can always progress a little bit. Same with unique enemies.
If you just load savegames, then you literally do the same thing all the time.

If you do the same thing, all the time, in any reasonably challenging quick save shooter like RTCW,Max Payne,Quake or Jedi Outcast you are going to get fucked repeatedly until you get good enough to pass each challenge with enough health and ammo to have a chance at beating the next.

I haven't heard of it, but from what I'm seeing on Steam, it's probably got a decent plot but most likely has little for you to interact with separate from whatever railroad you're on. I do like the art-style, however.

We could say that video games, evolved from board games. So we could use board games as a baseline for what a game is.

There should be

- Some way to win or lose.
-A competitor, be it human(Dota), A.I(zelda),environment(myst)
-A physical and/or mental challenge

downvoted

>it's always trump supporters that inject politics in every thread

>all caps
>shitposting
>using an avatar in direct violation of the site's global rules