First Dark Souls Run

I finally decided to pick this game up and "git gud" for the first time. What should I be expecting? Any tips or exploits? Best character type to play as? Hardest character to play as?

Other urls found in this thread:

darksouls.wikidot.com/game-mechanics
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4825DBA198EBE9B9
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What should I do, or what should I NEVER do?

Start as a knight if your new. Good stats, very forgiving for newer players. As for builds, a good quality Dex/str build really can't do you wrong. It allows you to wield almost all weapons in the game. There's my tips bud good luck with the game.

Just bee yourself, also dont be a faggot who looks at guides

Get the moonlight blade and the kurosawa and you're good

The game is fun but this "git gud" meme needs to die. Anyone who grinds enough to can beat this game.

Don't fatroll (if your controller rumbles when you roll, you're fatrolling)
Don't invest in armor upgrades till at least the mid point of the game.

Let's see if it was the right image...

Don't use a guide

You can go back to the tutorial level for a special item if you explore firelink shrine enough

Make sure you keep the pendant item with you from the beginning. It's really useful later on.

Don't bother with the lock on function during boss fights.

just hit up the wiki if you get stuck, try to do as much as you can without summoning

inb4 nioh poster

start with the knight class

If he looks at guides he won't get the full experience

For guides, don't go beyond what's on darksouls.wikidot.com/game-mechanics
These explain the game system, useful for reference when you don't understand something but other wiki articles have spoilers about in-game stuff.

worst game in the series, theres simply no getting good
"pure luck required ahead": the game

when you finish the game use this playlist for the lore: youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4825DBA198EBE9B9

Skip that trash.

Pick up Lords of the Fallen.

Or wait for Nioh.

there's no shame in running through things

fuck off you always diw when you rush 9 times out of 10

Too late, I already have Dark Souls
How so, exactly? Yhat seems to go against the grain of opinion

Don't afraid of backing off or using items

This build is honestly good. I don't know why people say it's not that good when it clearly is if you know what you are doing. Black Flame alone is such a powerful pyromancy that would compliment almost any build I can think of.

Go blind. You'll figure out. Also death is part of the game

Shoot off the tail of the dragon on the bridge. Use a crossbow if you aren't strong enough for a regular bow.

>DS3>DS2>LOTF>BB>DS1

Stop being a bitch, you'll never git gud if you keep asking for tips. Go in blind.

Don't level resistance, it's shit.
Like, nipples-an-a-sword-hilt useless.
DEX and STR dictate the damage for most of the weapons in the game, but END it's really fucking good so don't neglect that.
Check out the weapons, the higher the letter (E-D-C-B-A-S) the better it gets as you level up the corresponding stat (in order, STR,DEX,FAITH,INT), damage is calculated as base damage + scaling.
For the beginning get a shield, block a hit from the enemy and attack while they stumble.
Upgrading your weapons is cheap but requires material, it's also the absolute best way to upgrade your damage hands down.
Dex and small STR (hammers) weapons are the bread and butter, along with a medium shield.
Ultra big weapons are fun but unwieldy and they don't give as much satisfaction as the stat investment would make you think.
INT builds are ok in terms of damage, very early you can do obscene amount of damage if you know where to go to upgrade your shit
FAI is kinda shit in terms of damage

>Any tips or exploits?

pussy faggot

>I don't know why people say it's not that good
It's people who get mad at memes but don't quite understand video game.

>exploits
You're such a fucking bitch.

Anyway,
>Pyromancer is best starting class
>Don't level Resistance
>Keep your shield up
>For those turtle spear guards at the start that keep their shield up just kick them and break their guard. Use this for many shield enemies
>Lrn2parry too
>Rolling gives you invincibility frames
>Backstabbing is a critical attack that pretty much breaks the PVE and you're invincible while you do it. You can roll through attacks with the i-frames and backstab fags
>Just circle fags and backstab when you're in a pickle
>You have three standard rolling speeds based on your equipment load: fast, medium and slow fat roll
>Under 25% equip load gives you fast roll and you should stay with this
>You can also get the Dark Wood Grain Ring and when under 25% you'll flip instead
>Explore every nook and cranny as this game rewards exploration and you'll find weapons, ore and other shit that way
>Upgrading your weapon will give you more immediate damage than upgrading your stats. It's also way cheaper so always upgrade your weapon

Uh, just don't play like a retard. Respect the game, keep your shield up, try to fight fags one by one, lure one at a time if you have to. Learn boss attack patterns and avoid their attacks appropriately.

If you're fighting skeletons at the start you're heading to the wrong direction. Go up.
Don't put any points into resistance.
Don't fall for the drake sword.
If you're playing on pc get the Dsfix. Someone was actually playing without it in these threads once.

If you think this is suppose to look "better" than Souls you are fooling yourself. It looks like an okay game. Not on Souls level though.

Thanks guys! Here we go

NioH cares more about being hard than being actually good.
Played the alpha demo, it was shit.
Fuck off.

I actually have to say this game does look cool.

Oh boy looks like its this guy again

I'm a huge Souls fan so I have to ask.

Why does everyone here say Nioh looks like trash? The combat is superior to Dark Souls based on the beta.

Dark Souls had a challenging difficulty to benefit the the tone and atmosphere.
NioH has a challenging difficulty just for the sake of being challenging.

What do you mean? Nioh's difficulty fits the tone and atmosphere fine, you're fighting powerful demons and hardcore samurai. If you're going to say that the damage inflicted by fisherman is just for the sake of difficulty then the same can be said about the damage dealt by hollows, there is no lore explanation about why they do so much damage. As far as boss damage goes it's the same thing. Asylum Demon is a big monster so of course he does a lot of damage, Onryuki is a big demon so of course he does a lot of damage.

If you're just talking about the feeling of being alone and helpless in Souls matching the difficulty then the same can be applied to Nioh as well considering you play an Englishman exploring a demon infested Japan for the first time. If anything I can see why you might find it ridiculous that William could just pick up a katana and be badass, but it is a videogame developed by Team Ninja so I don't know what else you'd expect.

It's not about Nioh looking like this or that. It's the fact that someone is forcing it down your throat on every single thread that has anything Souls relevant in it.

>If you're fighting skeletons at the start you're heading to the wrong direction. Go up.
i needed that advice back then

this. this shill just wants to stirr up the souls community. he even admitted it in a thread a few weeks ago

Considering the similarities I can understand it though, I mean I would imagine that the majority of Souls fans would be excited for it and wanting to talk about it as opposed to just constantly saying the same thing over and over again about Dark Souls.

Honestly, part of me wonders whether it has to do with the difficulty of Nioh. Dark Souls really isn't difficult and it doesn't take much to "master" it at least in terms of combat, it's pretty straightforward once you figure it out. Nioh definitely has more of a skill climb and in terms of combat it is more difficult to master so I wonder if this doesn't intimidate Souls fans on here that more often than not take pride in having beaten Dark Souls because of how hard it's considered to be.

No matter what it turns out to be, The Mark of the Conqueror is significant.

Before I say why I need to divide the Souls community into two general groups - Conquerors and Conquered - and quickly define both.

Both have basically been around since Demon's Souls, but the very nature of the Conquered demands that the Conquerors come first. Why? Because Conquerors beat the path and light the way. Afterward, like mold or a rot, the Conquered seep into the community, ever at the heels of the Conquerors.

How is that? Either by a lack of information upon release or due to a self-imposed restriction, the Conqueror goes in blind. Conquerors embrace the challenge From Software has extended with each release in their Souls/Bloodborne Series while the Conquered abhor it. While Conquerors scratched and clawed their way through levels and boss fights, the Conquered poured over FAQs, Strategy Guides, Wiki Articles, Google Search Results, Let's Plays and How to Videos.

Therefore the Conquered subsist by virtue of the illumination spread over From's games by the Conquerors, entirely dependent on it. Overtime they've let themselves forget this, fancying themselves old hands as they bring their borrowed knowledge and tactics to bear on each successive release.

And then here comes f***ing Nioh, reminding the Conquered who they really are. And with little to no documentation in sight they hide behind s***posts so they can cling to that "gud" status they worked so hard to attain. Eventually they'll be back. Once the Conquerors have shown the way, that is.

And that's why The Mark of the Conqueror is significant. No matter how superficial, uselessly cosmetic or quickly outclassed it is, it still says I'm not this weakling . No, I'm a Conqueror.

You should delete this thread and experience the game for yourself
Trust me, finding out everything on your own feels way better than having someone spoonfeed it to you

I played DS3 first (I know I'm a faggot, I didn't know how good 1 was) and I very recently went and played through DS1 and did that exact build to see how strong tank build/DS1 poise is
All I can say is that I'm glad they nerfed poise in DS3

I want to see Dark Souls discussion in a Souls thread though. If I grew tired of seeing the same thing I wouldn't be here anymore.

All those Nioh webm just bring to mind that Battleborn tweet where he challenges Overwatch and Blizz pr dude just goes chill bro there is room for us both. There is no need to force your presence if your game is good enough.

I recommend you quality build- str and dex, so you can use broad range of weapons.
Defence come first, dont spam attacks and manage your stamina properly
Use shields and rolls
Be patient, again defence comes first
Dont bother about sorcery and miracles for first playthrough, but feel free to use pyromance its ok without heavy investment

>set weapon movesets so gear boils down to finding best weapon stat wise
>bland enemy variety
>boring level design
>predictable and choreographed enemy attacks
>no character customization
>boring magic (OP too)
>boring npcs (except maybe cat clock ninja)
>story driven but story is damn near non existent except for a cutscene after you kill a boss

I could go on, its not a shit game but going by the demo a 7-8/10 at best. A lot of shit can change from then to the actual release though and it has room for improvement.

At this point im half convinced the nioh poster is false flagging to drum up hate for the game or something because its a ps4 exclusive.

No, people want to discuss a series that has been released. They don't want to speculate on something 5 months from release.

Hollows in ds hit you for 15-20% of your hp bar at first locations and die at 2-3 hits
Bandits in nioh hit you for 40-50% and die at 5-6 hits
Game pace is generally very fast, but you use healing itsem slower than estus at start of ds2
Most "traps" are just huge groups of enemies out of nowhere

This. If you think you think a game is that good you're best response is "check it out for yourself". Not "omfg it's the best thing ever, it blows everything else out of the water". That's what drives people to hate games that are otherwise good.

This, OP. This is literally the best possible, spoiler-free set of tips that I can recommend to a new player.

Gave up long ago after discovering curse. Told myself I'd grind it out later, never bothered. I found Bloodborne way more enjoyable, one of my favorite games even, since the bullshit meter was toned down significantly.

Never listen to Cred Forums

These are some big claims to be making based off of a beta and many of those can be applied to Dark Souls, especially the limited moveset considering that one katana in Nioh has a more diverse moveset than every straight sword in Dark Souls combined.

>dark souls was too hard for me

Pick pyro
Dump on strength
Buy club
Beat game

Too grindy, just didn't find it enjoyable. Combat itself was much easier than Bloodborne since I could just hide behind a shield.

>too grindy

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHHA

Kill yourself

>shield is most important item in the game
>dex = fast weapons, Str = heavy weapons
>don't level resistance its useless
>Talk to every NPC you come across
>Don't kill any npcs especially the blacksmiths
>Learn ranged attacks even if you're a melee type
>Stay away from the Skelletons
>Stay away from New Londo Ruins

>Mashing R1 is fun and difficult

Nice try.

Was expecting trolling, but this is actually a good guide. Especially the part about the flooded ruins. They seem like it'd be an easy early game area since you can get there from Firelink easily, but don't do it.

People think its bad because its a meme build, but in reality is became a meme build because it is so good.

Bloodborne has better combat than Dark Souls, this is an objective fact.

>shield is most important item in the game
>he uses shields

what if i told you that koei is planning to revamp the dw mechanics for dw9 and nioh is their "testing the waters" game?

Lets be honest for a new person sitting behind a shield is good advice, until they git gud at rolling.

What was diverse about niohs weapon movesets you had three stances with a light combo/heavy combo and weapon skills, IIRC some stances power attacks were just a thrust attack that could be chained in too.

Plus like I said every katana in nioh is exactly the same except for damage so diversity is moot when youve seen all they have to offer after you unlock the weapon skills and used all three stances.

Big claims just like nioh posters shitting up threads claiming this game is going to be the best thing since bread sliced by a blade folded 1000x times.

Lern to roll. Shields are nice, but timing rolls and dodges is more important.
Figure out what weapon you want and build around it.
Wear whatever you want. Dont worry about armor. You dont need to tank damage. The point is to avoid damage, might as well look good doing it.
Try to fight enemies one at a time. Pull em away, fight, repeat.

Is there any point of having humanity besides summoning NPCs?

>playing for the first time
>asking for exploits
>not playing it blind

Kill yourself. You might as well watch a Let's Play by some e-celeb

that would be bretty cool

Healing back up items. Currency. Increased drop rates. Kindling bonfires. Think higher humanity count also added more curse resist?

Being human is also the only way to access some npc invasions.

Best thread I could have hoped for. In Undead Burg now. Got the Fuck out of New London Ruins, didn't like the look. Skeletons suck balls.

Not OP but I put the game down for a month now because I'm in the second bonfire in the tomb of Giants and I've ran to Nito twice before getting my shit fucked. I need some tips on how to reach Nito without dying to the giant skeletons...and maybe some tips on Nito himself. The first time I fought him, I spent the whole time dealing with two skellys and the fucker used that spike and killed me from across the room. I learned that he can destroy spawns so I stood by Nito the second time, had a hard time landing a few hits (since his back doesn't take damage) and then got swung at. Doesn't help that humanity is scarce and no one is online to help out either. My friend is around the same area but we have only been able to summon into the game together once

If you are having trouble getting to nito, you are doing it wrong. Stop fighting shit and just run to the boss door.

As for nito, equip the armor with the most poise you got and go face. Same for 4 kings

>Knight is perfect for first-timers if you have the patience to play defensively.
>Pyromancer has good starting stats and complements a more agressive playstyle. Also get a thing that lets you throw fireballs right from the start, which you can only get 3 bosses
in otherwise.
>Make sure you pay attention to the opening mythology cutscene. It becomes extremely important in the late-game.
>Never skip a cutscene if you haven't seen it yet. Without a guide, you WILL be lost without the information from a couple of them.
>Don't use a guide. It can be frustrating, but so much more rewarding. Only use a guide for your second playthrough
>Oh yeah, you'll be doing a second playthrough.
>Never spend levels on Resistance. It is a terrible stat. Level up your health or endurance for heavier armor if you want to tank hits better
>Be patient, and explore everything. You get out of this game what you put into it.
>Read item descriptions. There is little exposition, and you get the story only be searching for it.

This is a fantastic guide in general but I've never understood point 14, how could poise ever harm you?

They didn't nerfed poise, they removed it. That sucks.

Some bosses or enemies have strong attacks with follow ups.

If you have low poise, the enemy will knock you down on the first blow, and you'll be invincible as you get back up, while the enemy finishes his combo.

With high poise, you'll just get staggered by the first hit and you'll take all the hit from the combo.

It gives you a false sense of invulnerability, basically, because it encourages you to "trade" hits with enemies.
Sometimes you'll commit to taking damage in order to get a bigger hit on them, which can backfire.

kek i did the same

The skeleton wheels in the sewer in the painted world will wreck you if you have a ton of poise

Makes sense, cheers.

best played not knowing anything about the game

>DaS1: Poise is a little too strong, but all playstyles are still viable
>DaSII: Poise is a little too weak, but all playstyles are still viable
>DaSIII: Poise is non-existent; all heavy armor is non-viable

Good luck and have fun.

Do the skeletons at Nito's room actually come at you at all if you just wait for him to come to you? Need to of course dodge the scream ground spikes then if you wait. At this point you can also just warp out and do other stuff for a while. Dealing with the big skeletons after a long break is not that wonderful.

Nah if you hang back you'll only get a few (3 I think) regularly sized skellies on you, makes the boss fight pretty trivial when you don't need to deal with the big dudes.