CRPGs

This was nice yesterday

what are you looking forward to?
Numenera Alpha impressions?
Is fig a scam?
Is Tyranny just a side project before Pillars of Eternity 2?

Other urls found in this thread:

gog.com/game/might_and_magic_6_limited_edition
kickstarter.com/projects/1649838104/copper-dreams/posts/1578885
kickstarter.com/projects/1649838104/copper-dreams/posts/1582395
kickstarter.com/projects/1649838104/copper-dreams/posts/1591538
kickstarter.com/projects/1649838104/copper-dreams/posts/1592512
youtube.com/watch?v=ylU1-_L3SrY
youtube.com/watch?v=dDsRs-r93As
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Looking forward to Viking and Copper Dreams.

Haven't heard of Copper Dreams, sounds kinda neat.

Otherwise looking forward to DivOS2 and Wasteland 3.

I'm looking forward to Torment, but I haven't followed it at all because I want to go into it blind. I know they released some sort of early access version, does it seem promising so far?

Has PoE 2 been announced?

yup, besides tryanny and PoE they also seem to be working on a third project.

Really looking forward to Copper Dreams.
Backed Torment out of hype, so I'll play it even if I'm no longer so sure about it.
Backed D:OS2 out of loyalty despite not particularly enjoying D:OS, so I'll play that too.
I have mostly negative feelings on Tyranny, but the premise is enough for me to give it a go anyway. We'll see how it goes.
No interest in WL3 at all nor am I planning to play it any time, which means it has a good chance to become my favorite on the long run.
Never played Conquistador since the setting was a fuckhuge turn-off for me. Might check out Vikings.

Dungeon Rats day one buy.

cRPG's are my favorite genre and I could never, no matter how much I tried could get into Wasteland 2.

I hate the whole, "use your imagination instead of us doing work" as the main character.

There's no substance to it, I felt like I was playing cardboard cut-outs with my party. I didn't like any character I met, and the setting and camera grinded my enjoyment to a halt.

Combat bretty gud tho.

Everything else looks great can't wait fro Torment, that shit looks just like my jam. If they take it grim-dark, I'm gonna enjoy ravaging the virgins of the land and basically being a human incantation Slaneesh.

So what is dungeon rats? I know its by the age of decadence people but there I can't find any Info on it.

Its some tank MMO.

Original Sin 2 will win multiple GOTY awards

A dungeon crawler using AoD's combat system, except party-based instead of single character. To recruit party members you need to pass a charisma check, so you have to make a decision whether you want a strong PC with shit companions, a weak PC protected by the most powerful, or something in-between. Focus is on combat and light on everything else as you try to escape the penal mining colony a la Gothic, but there is still enough story that the game has multiple endings.

not yet officially but everyone knows they're working on it
>what are you looking forward to?
at this point torment and poe 2
>Numenera Alpha impressions?
I like the setting, I like the writing, I don't like how the mc look like and the character models in genral
>Is fig a scam?
is kickstarter a scam? sometimes it is but thanks to this shit we're even getting new crpg games besides indies
>Is Tyranny just a side project before Pillars of Eternity 2?
looks like it, worse visuals than poe, more casual friendly, shorter
can still be good tho

>what are you looking forward to?

Expeditions Viking, Divos 2, and the new Underrail project.
Copper Dreams looks cool.
Also, the Grimrock guys seem to be working on something new!

>Is fig a scam?
Shady as fuck. Staying away from it.

No because a lot of good games are coming out in 2017. It certainly won't win the favorites of Cred Forums users assuming butterlord will be fully released in 2017

>new Underrail project

Desire_to_know_more_intensifies.webm

Well, there's a new Underrail project in the works! It's all anybody knows at the moment, unforunately.

Probably an expansion taking place in Northern Underrail.

I want it!

Grimrock guys need to make a Might and Magic clone.

Styg and the rest of the team are working on something big, most likely an expansion. He recently said that we can expect an announcement in the following month.

Looking forward to having someone to play the original Div:OS with.

Which will be never

is it really too much to ask for a crpg game to have good combat mechanics with a well written story?

>crpg game

fuck

I enjoyed Expeditions: Conquistador enough to beat it twice so I'm looking forward to Viking, I hope they expand on the game mechanics because once you got to grips with E:C it was pretty easy.

Didn't realize there was going to be a Wasteland 3, I found 2 to be a big disappointment with a shitty second half to the game (LA onwards) and depressingly shallow over all.

I'm also looking forward to the new Voidspire game. I really enjoyed the first one.

I think Underrail had a nice story - or at least, a really nice setting. I eased into it quickly.

gog is running some sales on various games. You can get Might & magic 1-6 for cheap.

gog.com/game/might_and_magic_6_limited_edition

Reminder /vr/ has a link for Might and Magic 1-8 and HoMM 1-4 for free and you don't have to give Jewbisoft shekels for ruining a franchise.

Many people keep praising AoD and the Shadowrun games, but every time I tried them I lost interest after an hour

currently playing pic related, fun as fuck

welp i already deleted my save files

I completely fucked up my character skills in the first 3 hours, I guess there is no way to reset them?

Playing Eye of the Beholder 2 in NWN1's engine. Is this haram? I can't figure out how to solve the pressure plate puzzles in this engine

You can cheat and edit your characters.

Never knew that Eotb2 was remade in NWN. Wonder how true to the orginal it is.

Surprisingly accurate. The module comes with the original cluebook for hints on what to do.

Avernum/Exile

Recently finished Geneforge.
This probably won't make any sense, but I can't shake off the feeling that I just played a 90s' animu.

now where is the fun in that?

Is Viking going to be as SJW as the previous title?

Both Pillars and Wasteland were disappointments. I always thought that kikestarter was the future of RPGs. I was wrong.

D:OS was pretty good, though.

Any sauce on this? Styg's website hasn't been updated since release.

I didn't think Pillars was a disappointment but it could have been more.

Just reading about what based Avellone had actually planned for Grieving Mother sets you up for disappointment though.

Forum posts on his own site and the rpg codex forums. Official announcement coming soon.

I think the biggest problem with Pillars is how everyone in the team wanted it to be something different, so it's lacking a cohesive vision.
It was still good though

>Both Pillars and Wasteland were disappointments
but you are wrong user, both of those turned out great

I played Divinity Original Sin up to just past Cyseal, and fuck my ass that shit was extremely tough. I died so many times.
Thinking about picking up Expanded Edition for me and a friend. What does it change/improve

>tyranny

For hell sake, I saw "Tranny" at first.

Enhanced edition should be a free upgrade already. It rebalances skills, adds voice acting to all NPCs (for worse imo), adds more crafting, lets you rotate the camera 360 degrees, and adds some new difficulty modes like tactician mode that are fun.

Did they kept that retarded idea of disabling level adjusting for new characters created mid-game (you know, mercs or how they were called)?

"Retarded" since monsters dont respawn. Or do they now?

looks really promising
trannygame.com

Not sure what you mean, didn't companions automatically level up when you picked them up again in the homestead?

They used to at first, then they disabled that in one of the patches.

I didnt play "Enchanced" edition, so I wonder, if they got it back or left disabled.

I've been seeing this around for years, is it worth my time?

Didn't play Pillars but Wasteland is pretty bad, I'm not sure what goes wrong but the first 1/4 of the game is where all the ideas are.

Huh, why would they do that? Seems dumb as fuck.

You'd never use any of the other characters ever again

I have questions: how's dex and divine divinity? I remember playing the later back then and something was not right maybe something with combat I don't remember.

>is it worth my time?
If you already reached the point where looking at a screenshot of it doesn't bother you anymore, then yeah, it is definitely worth your time.

If you have any specific question about the game, shoot.

why is your screenie all distorted

So edgy grimdork shit again? Is this guy a manchild or something? Not even baiting I liked AoD but the writing was abysmal. That's what a 15yo would write.

DOS2 is literally the only game I've been looking forward to since playing the first one when it launched.

Everything about those games just rubs me the right way. So fucking good. I understand why some people don't like them or even detest them though

Because I grabbed it off google.

Exactly.

Yet, when I made account and posted complains on their own forum, I got scolded by group of fnatics that claimed this a good move because "muh difficulty" and "if you want new build, start new game you casual" and things like that.

You lack imagination. I like my party. I headcanon'd some simple personalities for them. It helps a lot.

>Skinny
- Specs: Smart mouth, SMGs, Blunt Weapons, Demolitions
- Pyschopath Quirk
- Headcanon: He's a rowdy wasteland junky who relishes battle and not much else.
>Nate
- Specs: Hard Ass, Bladed Weapons, Mechanical Repair, Computer Sciences, Brute Force
- Headcanon: Ex-Mechanic, built like a linebacker. Doesn't talk much or enjoy the company of others
>Rose
- Specs: Surgeon, Field Medic, Leadership, Shotguns, Pistols
- Headcanon: A nurse before the apocalypse and a natural extrovert, she's the glue of the party and the only one who rarely loses her composure.
>Dahlia
- Specs: Sniper Rifles, Pistols, Kiss Ass, Lockpicking
- Headcanon: Was young when the bombs dropped and lived her teens and early twenties in the wasteland. She's learned to survive by words or by weapons.

>So edgy grimdork shit again?
What gave you that impression? "Combat-focused" or "party-based"?

Is it science fantasy or magical fantasy?

> you try to escape the penal mining colony a la Gothic
And judging by AoD it will be a much more grimdork colony than in gothic.

party based RPGs with full party creation are the best

Hard to say about rewards, but it's already my personal GOTY of both 2016 and 2017. God bless Larian for actually still trying to do their own thing.

Borderline science fantasy, but leans more towards magical. Creatures are created through genetic engineering, but the genetic engineering itself is done through magic.

Yeah, it does. The game world is super interesting and you never really know what you find next. It's very buggy though, one combat area is borderline unplayable, and the interface would sometimes stop responding.

Based on the Early Access, I liked it more than I did Planescape: Torment, Divinity: Original Sin or Shadowrun: Dragonfall, and I love all of those games.

Anyone here excited for Bard's Tale IV?

Anyone played StarCrawlers?

How is it?

Wow they're making another expeditions game? Always thought the first was a hidden gem.

You guys would eat any shit that has a tag not-so-old-school crpg. Most of those games are nowhere near late 90's-early 00's rpgs.

What kind of party should I make?

>muh infinity engine
>muh fallout

Well of course those games are nowhere near pillars of eternity age of decadence and wasteland 2 right?

You mean a handful of games from that time period. Most rpgs that came out during that time were awful to decent, but mostly unremarkable.

They're extremely overrated for sure. Fallout's turn-based combat was a bore and the IE's implementation of realtime with pause was shit. Frankly there are better RPGs before and after the so called "golden age".

Like?

AoD is overrated and it's more of a skill check simulator than an RPG.

>Expeditions Viking

When is that supposed to come out?

>Wasteland 3

Fucking fix Wasteland 2 DC before you go and make a new game, you fucking faggots.

>D: OS 2

Are the undead part of the EA yet?

>Tyranny

Cautious approach about this. Avellone's gone from Obsidian and I have to admit I'm a fan of his writing and have enjoyed it most of all, save for Ziets in MotB.

>Torment

Tried the beta, didn't like. Can't really say why, I just didn't.

>Copper Dreams

What's this?

All Bards, multiclass if you have to but everyone is a Bard.

The band is going on tour, you must constantly rearrange party order as people argue about how they should be heard in recordings and each character has their own personality. When you run into an NPC whichever band mate they speak to dictates how you respond based on personality.

>Are the undead part of the EA yet?
Not sure if they'll appear in EA at all.

Ultima 7
Wizardry 6-8 (with wizfast for 8)
Underrail
Gold Box games
Gothic 2
Avernum

>Underrail
>Avernum
>Gold Box games
Yeah nah.

In terms of gameplay they are all better, no exception

Not an argument.

Wizardry 8 is excellent but fuck I got stuck in a 90 minute encounter on the road to Arnika once.

>Copper Dreams
>What's this?

New cyberpunk game by the team who did Serpent in the Staglands. Unlike most games that either appeal to storyfags or combatfags, CD is a systemfag wet dream. Which means it is yet to be seen whether their ideas will actually work out in practice. Should enter (closed) alpha soon, then we shall see.

Calling it now: Tyranny is going to be way better than PoE and PoE2 combined. The premise sounds too good for this game not to be great.

>Tyranny is going to be way better than PoE and PoE2 combined
Honestly not that big of a feat.
Too bad it'll still have the same cancer-inducing combat.

>New cyberpunk game by the team who did Serpent in the Staglands.
So it's going to be shit? Serpent in the staglands was fucking atrocious.

Really enjoying Original Sin 2, but I hope the next chapter is released soon.

>come up with an interesting premise
>make it a dungeon crawler

Sasuga, Obsidian.

How close to the bullshots do you think Wasteland 3 will look?

I don't really care about getting into that argument, but for all it's worth, this game is absolutely nothing like SitS. The only thing the two have in common is that they are both party-based. This is where the similarities end.

Don't worry, it's coming out in 6 months.

They're actually making more like Alpha Protocol with shorter story - focus on reactivity and C&C. It's not like Icewind Dale to Baldur's Gate, from what I understand.

>It's not like Icewind Dale to Baldur's Gate
Kek, you're implying that IWD and BG are somehow fundamentally different, but they're not. They're both h&s games, except IWD is actually fun.

>It's not like Icewind Dale to Baldur's Gate
They literally said it was the IWD to PoE's BG. I'm not even kidding. They said this, word for word.

they got the stasis guys working on it, we will see a video once the fig campaign starts.

What the fuck is Copper Dreams

Also, is Underrail worth it?

wizfast m8

As a scrub that didn't play either of those games, how are they different?

>game about being evil
>reactive game based on choices
>in current climate
>made by post-Avellone Obsidian

What could possibly go wrong? Well, I guess they could put Sawyer as lead developer again.

kill yourself, buzzword spewing moron.

>is Underrail worth it?
It's great, if you like RPGs with a heavy focus on exploration and crafting. It's also not a party based RPG.

>What the fuck is Copper Dreams

Combat walkthrough:
kickstarter.com/projects/1649838104/copper-dreams/posts/1578885

Dialogue system and role-playing aspects:
kickstarter.com/projects/1649838104/copper-dreams/posts/1582395

Stealth system:

Injury system:
kickstarter.com/projects/1649838104/copper-dreams/posts/1592512

>Also, is Underrail worth it?
Yes, if you are looking for a combat and exploration centric game.

Bonerlord and the Guild 3

Careful around those edges, son.

I thought it was still in beta?

Trying to avoid all bannerlord news to try to capture that same feeling when I played warband for the first time.

I legitimately didn't know there was a Wasteland 3 on the way.

Tyranny has a lot of potential.

I've never heard of Copper Dreams, but that picture looks like it'll be cyberpunky.

Then quit being a dipshit. aod isn't grimdark. Do you not understand what grimdark is? Are you retarded? Or just a buzzword spewing loser?

they just announced wastelands 3's kickstarter like 2 or 3 days ago.

It was just announced yesterday.

Do you?

what a bullshot

A-anyone?
youtube.com/watch?v=ylU1-_L3SrY

Here's another one.

Not the user you are quoting, but this reminds me of when /tg/ had a pretty in-depth discussion on what their definition of "grimdark" was. They ended up making a pseudo-alignment chart to illustrate it.

Grim = Individuals cannot alter or make significant changes to the state of their world. Victories are often short-lived and ultimately meaningless.

Dark = General living conditions are poor and the state of the world exists in decay and squalor. Danger and consequence often outweigh the glory of adventuring and the rewards commonly associated with being the hero.

Contrasted with noblebright, which would be the opposite.

I am not that strong-willed, though there are barely any news to avoid

I remember that. The term noblebright is one of the most ingenious inventions of /tg/, and I wish we had more noblebright games.

What's Copper Dreams?
Looks neon as heck.

>metro aesthetic
>stalker anomalies
they are going all out

its a cyberpunk rpg sadly it doesn't have the neon aethetic I was hoping for

>Arms and Arms
Combination gun store and cybernetics shop?

Cyberpunk RPG heavily influenced by Eacape Fron New York. Has a battle system similar to Grandia and supports stealth. Health is replaced with a wound system and no traditional XP system. Also saving is done with a radio which means you can't save in deep underground missions. Also there are multiple factions to choose from.

>mfw there is no cyberpunk RPG with neon overkill like satellite reign

Escape*

I wish I had a vibrant imagination like that, I'd probably enjoy RPGs much more. I can barely play the ones that don't spoonfeed a story to you.

is the game actually good?

Looks like vomit

It ok, worse than syndycate but it's somewhat dated already.

Tyranny, Copper Dreams, and the inevitable Underrail Expac.

W2 is just a bad game, user.

cRPG babby and mostly retard here

Does anyone know if the PoE combat style (I don't know how it is called) can be made a little bit easier? I don't mean difficulty. I find myself constantly pausing planning my next move, then my character makes that move and then i have to pause again and plan to make sure no one does anything stupid

I'm really trying to get into these kinds of games because i'm a huge sucker for customization and role-playing

The only other game i've played with that combat style was DA:O and i still had the same problem, constantly paused for everyone to use their abilities effectively and then resume just to pause again seconds after

Yeah, it's called playing a turn-based game. RTWP is garbage.

I've never played PoE but I'm pretty sure there is party AI. If you want something similar I would recommend the 2E Infinity Engine games like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale since you really only have to micromanage your spellcasters. If you want the same combat but just managing one character, check out Neverwinter Nights.

Just lower the difficulty and play real time.

Anyone play Serpent in the Staglands? The aesthetic and the whole zer0 handholding with quests and journals and actual puzzles, not just pick the right options from a text window, makes my dick rock hard but I haven't had a chance to really get into it.

From the first hour or so it feels like a more grim dark ultima 7.

Relatively new to crpgs, dicking around with the DivOS2 early access right now. I loved DivOS EE's combat system, and I especially love how range characters are mostly useful as CC, but still good for damage without overshadowing melee characters. Only downside is that my two favorite character builds (SnS tank and dual dagger rogue) both tend to be the weakest. Hopefully they'll balance it somewhat better this time around.

In other news, I'm also playing Icewind Dale EE, first time I'm playing it. Pretty fun so far. Went with four characters (dwarf fighter, halfing rogue, human bow ranger and cleric). Admittedly, I have no idea how I'm supposed to fight things efficiently yet, I suck at rtwp, but I think I'll get the hang of it in time. Any tips?

>dual dagger rogue
They're god tier now. They did a lot of damage in OS1, but in 2 they play far better and you get to pull off some seriously retarded (in a good way) shit.
SnS are fucking dead though.

I'm pretty sure that's just how they are meant to play. I don't mind it but it can get exhausting after a while. The infinity engine games had character scripts that you could load which automated some of the character behavior for you, but it was far from perfect.

In DA:O you can customize specific triggers to control your AI, similar to how gambits worked in FFXII. I'm not sure if you could ever get to the point where you don't have to pause anymore, but I remember it being pretty versatile.

Dual wielding is good for skill use, since combat skills derive their damage from both equipped weapons. Single weapon is the most effective for attacking, though.

Shields are abysmal right now, though. You still incur the additional 1 AP cost to your actions even after you've lost the armor bonus from the shield. At that point it's just better to unequip it all-together.

It is fun, you raid facilities to gain credits and new blueprints and level up your characters so it has quite a few rpg elements, no roleplaying at all though. The environments are pretty to look at though it has pretty shite performance.

Didn't know that about rogues, sounds great. I think SnS could be good once they figure out how the fuck to balance armor and health. Also, right now it's just not worth it to carry a shield because of the AP drain and movement reduction. That, and because certain builds are too strong and can cheese through any encounter by themselves.

Shields need their own unique skills to be worth it, in my opinion. And we know that's not happening.

They could possibly do something like the staff ability, where it lets you recover physical armor? Or if not that, maybe a talent? Although I don't know what they would do. Either way, as long as it's not absolute shit tier like it is now, I'm happy.

turn-based cucks are the worst
not every RPG needs to play the same way

Expeditions Viking looks kinda cool, how is their previous game?

Anyone try Masquerada: Songs and Shadows?

Just because it's an RPG doesn't mean it needs to have an abortion of a combat system.

It's pretty cool. You play as a conquistador.

I have been playing some fallout 2 and after running around in the Den talking to people i realized that those kids stole my new gun just as i entered town. Thought about attacking them but i have been playing as a relatively decent person until now.

I must say though that i feel like fallout 2 have aged more poorly than for example the baldurs gate games. The UI is not that great and i am really missing a key to highlight everything interactable.

Damn, I'm 28 hours into underrail and now am at the part where dozens of mercanaries storm the coretech warehouse, I am getting one hitted. What do I do, did I mess up so bad? Is there any way to turn the game from this point on?

Masquerada came out today, its a CRPG set in Venice. Anyone playing it?

There's a guy in the Den that has all of your stolen goods. If you don't want shit to get stolen, go into combat mode, walk past kids, then go out of combat mode.

I liked it. It's one of those games (like say, Unlimited SaGa) I thoroughly enjoyed, but wouldn't recommend unless I knew my interlocutor fairly well.

The mood makes it for me; I love that sense of being lost in another world, having to decipher its workings. Sometimes it breaks at the seams I find, but it's worth it if you're sensitive to what it foes right.

Flawed game, but in no small part because of its willfully regressive bent, which makes it easy to forgive for me.
Kinda like Wasteland 2, though for different reasons.

It's out? Interesting. Was looking out for that one. Has potential to be an interesting small studio game.

Hey you're speaking my language with Unlimited SaGa so I guess maybe this game will scratch the itch I think it will scratch.

Just to be sure, I'm not implying similarity in gameplay here. It's more that both have a very, very small, laser-focused niche.

On my "to play" list after I finish up Might and Magic and a bunch of other indie RPGs on my backlog. I'm a sucker for exploration so I'm sure I'll like it.

I assumed maybe you meant they shared that similar "you're own your own go figure this shit out" approach to both the world and the game's systems.

I always loved minstrel song's attempt at being an open world jrpg.

>I assumed maybe you meant they shared that similar "you're own your own go figure this shit out"

Ok, in that sense, yeah, definitely (just looking at some skill and going "O.K, what does that even *do*?", discovering the world...) , but system-wise, they're very different beasts.
I just don't want to create some unfounded expectations that could spoil your fun.

Looked at some screenshots and it seems interesting. Is it a proper crpg though or is it just an action game with real time with pause combat?

what is a proper crpg?
a genre wide enough to fit wizardry and planescape torment makes it hard to define that

How about is it a roleplaying game with character/item customization and a somewhat interactive story or is it just combat with cutscenes.

A game that tries to emulate and recapture the tale-top player experience, in computer assisted form, by replacing the DM.

That's my go to definition. Might no be the most accepted one though.

>no traditional XP
So how do you get stronger?

I actually would really like a good cRPG game that manages to make it work that you don't get more powerful.

No levels or assimilated.

linear story with character progression from my understanding

>they voiced literally every single piece of dialogue in divinity original sin 1
for what reason

Consoles.

STALKER?

Also arguably System Shock 1 but I consider it an FPS.

To a point I guess. Too player-skill dependent to really be a strict RPG for me, but I may be too much of a purist here.

I find the player-skill definition completely idiotic and at odds with videogames themselves. Not that I hate turn-based games but if I'm smart enough to juke niggas in Ultima Underworld or Might and Magic 6 then more power to me. At the end of the day everything is being driven by numbers and if your real-time game has some sort of stat that affects speed than it makes absolute sense ingame that you can use it to your advantage in a way that would not be feasible in a tabletop situation.

what is babby's first cRPG?

Copper dreams looks tasty. Never heard about it.

To me, these are the most entry level CRPGs you can play to get a little taste of the genre.

>dungeon crawler/blobber
Might and Magic 6, Legend of Grimrock 2, Wizardry 8

>isometric
Baldur's Gate, Pillars of Eternity, Fallout inb4 cavalier oblique

Also I would argue Neverwinter Nights is a good entry point into RtWP D&D games since you only control one character at a time. Just keep in mind it's a newer edition than the "classics" so the rules work a bit differently and you should avoid the original campaign at all costs. Stick to the expansions and user made modules.

>I find the player-skill definition completely idiotic and at odds with video-games themselves.

I don't think so - unless you think think that for some reasons that the more abstracted a game the less video-gamey it is. Which is a weird proposition to me.

There will always be a leeway of player-skill because, even in a purely abstracted game, some people will learn to game the systems, for sure.

But then if a game is designed in such a way that player skill matters *more* than the character-defining systems in place - or even if it lacks them altogether - you're not being placed into a role, you're just being placed into a vehicle for your own skill - not a bad thing, but then you're playing something else.

Thats why you design an RPG with good systems so that stats do more than just affect damage. If you halfass it you get games like Borderlands or Fallout 3 where the game just feels like a substandard FPS

Chomping at the bit for Wasteland 3. Too bad it'll probably be in development for ten years, knowing inXile.

Currently playing Planescape: Torment for the first time, in preparation for TToN. Is it a bad sign that I find P:T exhausting to play?

I'll probably get Tyranny when it comes out. I enjoyed the time I spent with PoE, even though I ran out of steam in the last city and never finished it.

I hadn't heard of Copper Dreams before now, but it looks interesting. I'll have to investigate further.

Not really interested in Divinity or Expeditions.

To be fair, even NWN is now 2.5 versions out of date.

Depends n how and why you're feeling exhausted really.

>Is it a bad sign that I find P:T exhausting to play?
Probably, if you want to play Numanuma. I felt the same way, and eventually ended up dropping it. No amount of good writing in the world could make me interested in the story of Torment.

Is Copper Dreams a cyberpunk game?

yes but it's not generic neon bladerunner look everyone fawns over

Yes, although it doesn't take place in a big city, so it doesn't have that typical cyberpunk atmosphere. Still, it has neon light, and lots of cyberware you can replace your flesh and bone bodyparts with.

What is Expeditions: Viking?

RPG about being a viking where you go on expeditions

>Divinity 2
Can only hope they learn from their MASSIVE FUCKING MISTAKES with the last game

It's not 1990 anymore, it's a REQUIREMENT to give a full tutorial.

>Tyranny
Hope it's good, but Obsidian being the developer doesn't give me high hopes

>wasteland 3
first two weren't good, curious how they got the funds for a third.

>Viking
Looks like Blackguard, which I wasn't a fan of

>Torment
Not feeling any hope for this, maybe we'll be surprised

>Copper dreams
Doesn't look too great

Have they fixed up the graphics/art direction since this trailer?

youtube.com/watch?v=dDsRs-r93As

Really garbage aesthetic, kinda turning me off on it. inb4 graphicsfag, it looks so much worse than pretty much every (pseudo) isometric cRPG of the 90s/early 00s.

back in the day crpg was used to differentiate between pen and paper and computer games, today it is used to describe rpgs that have a lot in common with the games back then i.e. usually isometric viewpoint, reactive story, often party based, I guess dungeon crawlers also count.

Every NPC with a name has a novella's worth of backstory and dialogue and I can't help but click through all of it, and I feel like I have to commit it all to memory because you never know when the key to a quest will be some innocuous guy you met in a bar four hours ago. I'm enjoying it, for sure, but I can't play it for more than an hour at a time before I'm afraid it'll start to turn into a blur.

Word.

>it's a REQUIREMENT to give a full tutorial.

Not only it isn't, some games are made better for lack it.
But then you're in a thread where people enjoyed Unlimited SaGa.

>Doesn't look too great

If you're talking graphics, ok. To each their own. Game-wise, though, it does look fairly interesting.

My understanding is: spiritual sequel to Expedition: Conquistadors, this time with Vikings as the name implies.

If you haven't played that game, just web-search it. Interesting beast.

It just looks garbage compared to something like Divinity or Pillars.

Looks good to me. I like the low poly/unfiltered texture aesthetic and they're going to keep it since it's a selling point.

>some games are made better for lack it
There is no game in existence that is made better by not knowing basic controlls

It doesn't matter how "epic for da win" it makes you feel, a full tutorial is still a requirement in the modern era, you are suppose to tell the player the basics. Not half the basics, not a quarter of the basics, ALL the basics.

The art isn't going to change drastically. It is done by two-man team, there is only so much they can do. And it isn't isometric, or at least not your usual kind. Stealth gameplay and climbing/jumping makes it necessary to not have a fixed camera position.

My advice, fo what it's worth, would be: play it old-school slow. Get a notepad and use it. When you think you're saturated, give it a rest. Come back when you crave for more. have your notes ready to get you reacquainted if you feel you need it.

>It just looks garbage compared to something like Divinity or Pillars.
It just looks garbage compared to something like Fallout 1 or Baldur's Gate or Jagged Alliance or Planescape or Arcanum.

Here's a novel idea, how about you read the manual?

It's trying to evoke a low poly aesthetic similar to early '90s 3D games or Playstation games. Comparing it to a static, prerendered game is idiotic.

Man i wish i wasn't such a graphics whore, this can turn me off from a game, no matter how good it may be

People liked the aesthetic of Playstation 1 games?

>Comparing it to a static, prerendered game is idiotic.
You literally compared it to Pillars.

There is just something relaxing about messy inventory screens, paperdolls and stats all over the place.

inb4 "Yeah back then it was great you youngfaggot" when I'm clearly not talking about back then.

Not an excuse, a tutorial is very different from a manual.

A tutorial explains things, a manual tells you about things

Actually, no you don't. That's a thing I really miss from older games that modern design rarely dares anymore, the heuristic aspect, where playing the game was learning to play the game.

I mean, I don't expect every game to be Captain Blood, but I do enjoy having to explore game-systems as I explore worlds.

>deekin

Not the same person and yes it is an aesthetic people enjoy.

that was me, not him, I agree that it is really ugly. even some better lighting and a bit of clutter would to wonders, now it just looks sterile as hell.

>I enjoy not being able to control my character(s)
Opinion invalidated.

Which is why some of us would argue a manual is much better.

The manual defines and lets you work from there. Trusts you to do so.

>I lack basic reading skills and am too stupid to figure how to play a game on my own.

No, the manual doesn't let you "work from there", it says "X exists" and then you're expected to slap every button combination you can until it works.

A tutorial shows you the basics of how to use X and then you can actually work from there because you actually know how to use X. You don't know EVERYTHING about X, like how it works with Y and H, but you know how to use it.

>I'm losing this argument so I'll insult his intelligence!

>No, the manual doesn't let you "work from there", it says "X exists" and then you're expected to slap every button combination you can until it works.

I don't know what kind of manuals you have read, but even the manual of fucking Skyrim of all games tells you about the default key bindings.

Did you read one, really shitty manual as a child and then swear off them forever?

MM6 has best paperdoll

Says the user who started by dismissing the argument without understanding it - or feigning so, which isn't any better.

>I don't know what kind of manuals you have read
The Divinity Original Sin manual
>but even the manual of fucking Skyrim of all games tells you about the default key bindings.
And what happens after that?
As shit as skyrim is, it at LEAST has a full tutorial

>making false claims in hopes I just go away

Wearing comfy clothes and a blanket, slurping coffee while playing Pillars of Eternity :3

>The Divinity Original Sin manual
?

>Now that you have entered the game world, you’re ready to explore, right? The game is full of features, but it’s pretty straightforward:
>Most game actions can be executed with the mouse. Move your party by clicking on the terrain. You can also hold the mouse
button and drag it over the terrain to make your party leader follow the cursor.
>Clicking on an item in the game environment will execute the default action with that item. For instance, you’ll pick up gear, loot, and gold; open chests, crates, and doors; or move to a new location via stairs or paths.
>Clicking on friendly characters will start a conversation with them. Clicking on hostile characters will attack them. You’ll be able to tell the difference by the change in your cursor when you hover over the character.
>If you wish to attack a friendly character, hold the CTRL key and CTRL+click the character. If you wish to attack an item with your weapon, hold the CTRL key and CTRL+click the item.

And so on. I do not see the problem.

>I do not see the problem.
The problem being that the game does not stop there, there is a plethora of important features never mentioned

I remember burning so much daylight on Neverwinter Nights as a kid. Do any modern CRPGs have a similar modding community or tools?

Nope. NWN is still alive though.

Could Pyre be considered a crpg?

Isn't it more like a sport game with story?

>making false claims in hopes I just go away

Na, fuck you, you're just abortion trash. But a slight amount of noise is good for the signal.

>there is a plethora of important features never mentioned

Yes, and you can find them by playing the game. You know enough from the manual to do so. We know because we found out. Again, heuristic aspect. You do not seem to like that, and want everything pre-defined. Some of us on the other hand want things to be understandable and knowable, but past the base up just want to be left to our own device to find out and experiment.

>Na, fuck you
if they weren't false, you'd be able to prove them
>and you can find them by playing the game
No, you can't. You have to either press every button combination on the keyboard, or look up a guide

>wanting poe 2 after the let down that was poe

>wasteland 3

>PoE combat style (I don't know how it is called) can be made a little bit easier
but PoE combat is beyond entry level

turn-based combat apart from maybe older games where you have to enter in spell names to cast them is easier and more intuitive tbqhwy familiams

I think I've realised what I don't really find all that fun about PoE.
It's a low level campaign that thinks it's a high level campaign.
There's not enough exploration, especially in settlements and that really takes away from it.

Since 2014 we have been getting so many cool isometric RPGs and with all the big ones having sequels this hopefully doesn't stop, I can't go back to AAA developer RPG trash

Personally I kinda forced myself through act 3 and then played the white march, which had much more interresting dungeons and loot. It also was significantly more difficult than most of the main story. I agree though that exploration is one of the weak points of the game.

I really hope Obsidian stay true to their promise with Tyranny, a shorter but more reactive experience than Pillars.

>rape
>slaves
>genocide
>waifu's
sjw? Explain user-kun.

>Conquistador
>SJW
Jesus Christ, this place...

pillars was fucking boring

I will never forget that game. Holy shit, it was painful.

eh, I gave up at the start of act 3
too bored, too overleveled
didn't waste money on the dlc thankfully