ITT: Ideas on how to fuck with the player

>Game about time travel
>if the player pays attention, there are spots where they can see another player character model staring at them from afar
>at one point, you can get to the place he was seen standing
>there's only a notebook that mentions events that don't happen in the game, including "kill [supportive character]"

Pic unrel'd

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/vOaMpHTm_xk
youtube.com/watch?v=WubIPdB7xjY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i am sure that one game did this

tl dr, who cares

BUT THAT FUKKEN PIC. HOLY SHIT NOW I HATE HALF LIFE

You're retarded

wtf i hate halflife because of this
hl4 confurmerd ;D

fuck animeniggers

>random t-posing
>scripted falling through the world
>audio freezing

PoP Warrior Within did this a couple times

DON'T YOU GET IT?!
GABEN IS A PLAGIARIZING THIEF
HALF LIFE IS A LIE

EVERYTHING I BELIEVED IN IS GONE

I don't get it. How could gabe steal half life!

>the player buys your game and finds out it's shit

>game randomly unequips items from your character
>you cannot reequip in battle
>game is savepoint based, no quicksaves

>enemies get progressively stronger based on how much gear you wear
>starting armor/naked is extremely ugly
>game has elaborate gear crafting system

Timeshift, Timesplitters

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIC

It's the other way around, moron

>it's a weeaboo nu-male's fantasy about jrpgs post

kek. Nobody gives a shit, retard

how would that fuck with the player
>haha its a time travel game and the devs coded in some time travel stuff woooooow im so fucked right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

?

>When you complete the game, you get new game plus
>minor changes
>one of the bosses have been replaced with someone completely different
>they start the fight by saying the other guy couldn't make it, so he's filling in for them
>eventually mistakes that seem like glitches appear, like lacking shadows and stuff
>at the end, there's a hole in the textures, letting you walk off of the map
>this leads you to a different area of the game never seen before
>if you take this route, the final boss is a huge bug/glitch

>RPG with day/night cycle
>Arrive in new town for the first time
>A guy stops you and tells you he's been stuck in a time loop for years now and needs your help
>Calls out a bunch of tiny things that happen around you in the next few seconds because he's already had this conversation with you untold numbers of times
>If you refuse to hear him out he just says he'll try again tomorrow
>If you come back the next day he's gone

>Boss has an attack that intentionally lowers the framerate of the game directly

Well it's a different thing, but Opposite Force had you run into Gordon Freeman.

Though when it comes to fucking with the player, Alan Wake was great. Many of the pages you found on the way told the story of what was to happen afterwards, but then you would run into misleading scenes to make you believe what you read would happen when it didn't. And even then the pages were often too short to figure out the context, and some scary things often ended up being rather trivial.

Good on you, dude

I wish I was that cool

Fucking retard.

>RPG boss has a spell that caps the framerate at 10fps for the remainder of the fight
>input is tied to framerate so it drops your menu inputs regularly

youtu.be/vOaMpHTm_xk

Shit that's actually pretty clever.

I don't get it.

>optional boss is a materialized computer virus
>looks like random rapidly flashing garbled up graphics
>the only attack is instakill and spawn smaller instakill viruses

so what's the implication? did he finally get out? are you him from the future?

You left him behind in the past.

Epic Battle Fantasy 4?

y

Goddamn Cred Forums is full of morons. Jesus, what the fuck happened to the user base from a few years ago. Where the fuck did they go? It sure as shit wasn't to cripplechan.

Well to be honest his explanation made it clear there was nothing to understand: It's just a shit idea.

>If you load a save before that,he talks about meeting you before and you get a quest to save him

Exactly, there's nothing to explain because it's plain. The other guy is in ground hog day mode. He'll see you tomorrow, but not "you".

But I bet you haven't even seen that movie you fucking kid.

If you weren't such a kid you'd know that movie is on twelve TV channels every fucking christmas. You don't have to be "old" to have seen it, but you certainly have to be a fucking kid to get that angry at people on the internet.

oh man this
followed by this
as the only way to actually access the quest, would be genuinely awesome. undertale kind of rode this one into the ground, but i think it could still be nice as a small one-off element of games not focused around it.

What?
What?

What?

I've always wanted more horror vidya that takes place in broad daylight.

Something like you are walking about a busy city doing errands, people everywhere, cars busy in the street from traffic, plenty of noise and such.

And then at seemingly random moments everything stops all at once except for you, as if frozen in time. No noise, no music, no voices, nothing. You might occasionally notice a random person or two out of the crowd make a glance toward you during this time out the corner of your eye. Maybe you hear some sounds or signs of life out of sight trying to distract you.

When these frozen intervals happen you have to get the fuck away from whatever human-shaped thing(s) are hunting you; being in their line of sight is what causes the stops. Fighting them is pointless because it deletes you instantly if you come into contact with it, either from it actively hunting you or you bumping into it while navigating the crowd during the freeze.

Your goal is to just finish your errands while navigating the city.

This reminds me how Knock-Knock fucked with the player's mind.

>Play a "mission", fail horribly.
>Try again.
>And again.
>Suddenly, out of nothing, you see your self wandering around for a brief second before getting horrifically murdered.
>Turns out the game occasionally plays "replay" of your previous failed attempts through the map, with absolutely no explanation, or even acknowledgement of it, irregularly and very rarely, so that you can go through the entire game without understanding any pattern to it.
>Then on another playthrough you noticed this time your "ghost" is not acting out the same actions you did in any of the previous playthroughs.
>It just also randomly spawns an A.I. controled, randomly moving ghost of the character for the heck of it, with much lesser frequency than the "replay" one.

You are now aware that Akira based its elevator off of a real world one.

You are now aware that elevators are a real thing.

>RPG
>Relative short.
>The final boss ends up killing you/your party
>New game +
>You start as a diferent guy/Same guy but diferent dimension
>As you play again, all you did in the first play, is still there.
>This time, you do kill the final boss.
>Game continues with new content / You get the true ending

Actually, now that i think of. Does any game has ever done something like that?

Some roguelikes have ghosts of your dead characters sometimes appearing in your current run.

singularity did that kind off

>Akira based its elevator off of a real world one
I am going to hazard a guess and say that this is a rather common layout for underground cargo elevators.

Well no shit, didn't you see that Team Fortress 2 game? It's clearly an Overwatch rip-off

Take a non-horror adventure game.

And give it a section that is very dark and creepy, and put the scariest fucking clowns in it.

He is in the loop, you are not.

Hi.

>Knock-Knock
Every time you think you have understood one of its mechanics it proceeds to turn everything upside down. I still don't know what the fuck even

IPL, the biggest "fuck you" to the notion of games being entertainment in the history of the media.

>game deletes your save and any other save with your character's name if you wish to see one of the game's endings
>game deletes your save and any other save with your character's name if you die

sooo, dark souls?

I'm not saying Half-Life ripped off Akira, but I'm getting the impression some people think Half-Life came out first.

This could work in a sort of cyberpunk setting.
I'd be curious to play a game that fucks with you on more technical aspects, like having some massive clipping at times but you later find out you're a ghost or the world is just a digital construct or some shit.

Literally the first and last level of Timesplitters Future Perfect

isnt that pretty much rogue legacy?

half life ripped off Doom and Die Hard more than anything, that could honestly just be a homage

>online game
>there's this NPC faction/group that firmly believes beings from another world are possessing random people and messing with their world
>they eventually find out you're one of them

>FPS game
>you can't see your body
>there are no reflective surfaces
>people you meet are scared shitless of you

>still no good AKIRA beat 'em up vidya
>no playable stories of Kaneda, Tetsuo, and bonus mission Kei
>follows the manga storyline
>won't get to see Kaneda fucking body slam testuo into some concrete stairs

Life is suffering

>the user base from a few years ago
you've got to be kidding me. Cred Forums has been absolute trash and infested with cancer for going on seven years now. a few years ago was reddit, just like now. fuck you

>This time, you do kill the final boss
>Game continues with new content
Then obviously it wasn't the final boss you killed.

But, as the other user said, a lot of roguelikes let you interact with your old characters in some capacity. Like how One Way Heroics has restarting as a part of the story in the opening monologue if you died on your last run and in certain endings.

Yep.

Pretty good

B8

Fuck movie Tetsuo, he didn't achieve anything, just killed his girlfriend and friends and exploded like a little bitch.

>it erases the cringe of you being a dumbass by playing it in the first place :")

Fuck the movies entire story.
I love Akira to death, it's one of the finest pieces of animation ever made and my god does the soundtrack make my dick hard, but the story is stupid and makes no sense and leads to nowhere.

Have a dolls polyphony.
youtube.com/watch?v=WubIPdB7xjY

>but you certainly have to be a fucking kid to get that angry at people on the internet.

Said the calm collective adult man. I'm sure.

>elevators
>real

Good one mate.

I'm legit triggered by that image.

>game about time travel
>beat game once, get clear data
>play game again
>final boss is the you from the previous run
>if you were the hero and decided to play villain you have to fight for the right to be the next big bad with your other self

Best way to fuck with the player is a protagonist swap.

>Game is hyped up to be the best thing ever
>Is shit
>Tell everyone that the experience players are supposed to get is that they're getting fucked
>No refunds

It's called breaking the 4th wall

>game deletes your save and any other save with your character's name
And it won't let you make any new save files with that character's name ever again?

What does an entirely in-game thing have to do with the 4th wall?

superhot? it wasn't that bad though

>Whole game seems like a normal RPG, your party members *faint*, items revive them, etc.
>Final boss has a specific move.
> "X was killed"
>The player learns the only spell to "bring back the undead" before the boss.
>Boss continues to kill your party.
>Near the end, the boss hits the player with that move.
>Player dies
>Game proceeds to show the remainder of the battle through the lifeless eyes of your character as your party finishes off the final boss
>they grieve your death and bury you as the final scene in the game

I don't understand the image, there is also a lift identical to that in Mgs 1 and one of if the FF games

Those lifts do exist on real life

It's not just the lift, the whole room layout is identical.

Bravely Second to some degree

>RTS
>main storyline
>at one point one of your units turn neutral and leave your team
>if you don't kill that unit, sometime later you get to fight a group claiming the king (you) is mind-controlling his subjects and then they fight to take you down

You are losing control of your character as the game goes on
Like you go talk to a guy and get several conversation options but your guy chooses his own before you do
Or he goes for the exit or a chest in a dungeon and all you can do is slow down his movement
Or may dump you for a short while during fights and do his own flashy moves
This would happen more often in a game the higher level you get, reasons behind it may be story related