So what are the actual chances this is good?

So what are the actual chances this is good?
I liked the 3 console games but I never played sticker star because I heard it was bad.
I know Nintendo's been pumping out some mediocre shit lately but this one might have a chance, what do you guys think?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/8u0WAyJC
pastebin.com/HvHDL1mD
imgur.com/a/Xqd7F
youtube.com/watch?v=V1x1AxrX-gE
youtube.com/watch?v=EOJW2t0tSyo
youtube.com/watch?v=Uf8SXCIn5to
youtube.com/watch?v=ii31y99atJo
gbatemp.net/threads/release-msbt-editor-reloaded.406208/
gbatemp.net/threads/paper-mario-color-splash-mod-palace.443152/
mega.nz/#!JZZiDTjR!Hed53cOKDEMsBj8Bs6c-liJo4m7hai33vZZY7sOrLkU
mega.nz/#!VIo0BRgB!55B94iPHOM6onXFStDbFpndTBqtlX8Awuqx-xrz8r6o
youtube.com/watch?v=GqtoZsDfZ04
mega.nz/#!BY4RDKga!M5G3TKkrvm5xZJ0AGphYwbm2xDLPNrog-Sb-ASIjbPA
youtube.com/watch?v=5Awn-CjrBwc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You do know people have been pirating it for the last week right?

Just pirate it and play a few stages and see if you like the game enough to buy it.

This has been leaked for a week.

It's Sticker Star 2.

It's bad.

I watched one of the bossfights and it looked terrible.

I never played Sticker Star, but cutting away to a segment where you're on a realistic life-size grill, or in a kitchen where vegetables are getting cut up, or things like that. It's so jarring, it interrupts the music, and it adds nothing to the combat.

It's like someone looked at Paper Mario 1 and 2 and said "I don't like this combat, or these characters, or the setting, but Mario being made of paper is pretty funny. Make it about that."

I beat Morton last night. Is the rest of the game really going to be "use Thing on Koopaling" for its bosses?

Yes

>chances

It'a good. The Pretendos are just in full damage control mode right now.

MEMORABLE CHARACTERS

It's a 6/10, better than Sticker Star but I wouldn't say it was particular good. Areas are fun to explore though.

Go play Star Fox Zero

He did and loved it

This game tears me apart inside. The humour is surprisingly on point at times and they went all-out with the presentation, minus the use of individual characters (although it's much better than SS in that regard). Even the music is pretty decent.

But the battles are literally filler with no strategy or substance. All bosses are reduced to "bring the right item or you lose". After getting your max paint up to a reasonable number, which can be done in chapter 1, it suffers from the same thing as Sticker Star. There's no reason to fight fodder and the flee button is woefully inaccurate.

The most offensive thing was the first time I tried to fight Morton. I whipped out a fire extinguisher, like I was supposed to, and he just said "lolno, replicas don't count" and murdered me with 48 damage. That's some real fair difficulty that will encourage the target demographic to play.

Can anyone defend this battle system? Go on, user, try. Play devil's advocate for me. Lie if you have to. Tell me I'm wrong so I can pretend it's okay.

One of the Toads mentioned Wart, so by default Paper Splash is better than Dream Team, which makes it pretty good.

>Not particularly good
>6/10
6/10 would mean it's above average. Try 5/10 or below.

Here's a picture of that, it was pleasant to see.

I think of a 6/10 as Fine with a 7/10 being good. A 5/10 is still fitting though, I'm kind of being nice with the score.

>and he just said "lolno, replicas don't count"
Actually, do either the manual or the card's description tell you that replicas don't have secondary effects?

I don't know about the manual since it crashes for me with Loadiine (Anyone know a work around? I'm real curious about that developer commentary.) but the Card's Descriptions for Replicas all say pretty much the same thing, "A replica card that allows you to use a [THING CARD] in battle." It's not very descriptive about what it can & can't do.

I liked star fox zero. What is your point? Was I supposed to hate it? Fuck off.

I was referencing his sperg outburst yesterday. I have nothing against SFZ

this game hurts me

That should be the pull quote for this game.

>everything but the initial gameplay is decent
go play a shitty movie game, while you're at it.

fuck off underaged

Cody thinks the gameplay is good, just ignore him.

>Referencing a Japanese only game given a Mario skin in the US

The gooks get the references.

Even if he wasn't underaged I honestly think he should be range banned.
Certain threads have devolved into witch hunts for him and at times his mere presence disrupts discussion.

I think they might have been hoping that you would gather that replica cards aren't actually Thing cards since they refer to them as a different kind of card and the "REPLICA" watermark during the attack being there to remind you that you aren't using the real Thing. Replicas also seem to do less damage from what I've seen, but I'm not exactly sure.

Bowser did nothing wrong.
If I were to rate the game I'd call it decent, the writing is fun but the battle system is still meh, then again I'm that guy who never really liked Paper Mario's battle system in the first place and doesn't care about companions so I doubt my judgement is any worthy.

*should still be

Tanabe who's Color Splash's producer was the director of Doki Doki Panic/Super Mario bros 2/Super Mario Bros USA. It's probably why Paper Mario has slanted towards Shyguys and has Birdo Cameos now.

Yup. It's enough of a classic over there that they're getting Mario USA instead of their own Mario 2 on the Famicom Mini.

>good art
>good humour
>good music
>but shit gameplay and plot
How could you fuck up that high? AAAARGH

Seriously, the explanation this game gives for Bowser not only isn't really focused on, it isn't consistent. At the end of the game they shoot him out of the sky and go 'That'll teach him!' Even though it was confirmed he wasn't in his right mind and wasn't doing anything bad when he got possessed.

That pissed me off when I had to hit Bowser one more time after he lost all the paint. He did nothing wrong & just gets fucked up by Mario for no reason, he's literally like the other Shy Guys in the game.

>get to Vortex Island
>the game suddenly starts dealing with parallel universes

Thanks to Cred Forums this part will never not be ruined for me

Better than Sticker Star and SPM, setting of last 3 chapters almost reach the first 2 games' high points

>At the end of the game they shoot him out of the sky and go 'That'll teach him!' Even though it was confirmed he wasn't in his right mind and wasn't doing anything bad when he got possessed.

>Implying that was intentional
>Implying it's not the Koopaling's fault for flying the airship into the middle of a celebratory fireworks show.

>Better than Sticker Star and SPM
>SPM
Eh, at the very most I'd say it's on-par with SPM and even then that'd be stretching it. It certainly is better than Sticker Star though.

I just thought the settings and events were more interesting, to me a lot of Super just feels sort of listless in hindsight. It does have that great prison level though.

I can understand that then, the gameplay really bogged down my experience even with the areas & events actually being nice so it's hard for me to say it's as good as SPM.

I'm currently at Mondo Woods looking for the archaeology professor. It's alright, but a far cry from the first two games in terms of entertainment I'm getting out of it. I'm liking it about as much as Super Paper Mario. Haven't played Sticker Star yet but a friend is going to lend me that tomorrow.

I know everyone wants the PM setup back but...

What would you think of this game if it had SPM rules for combat (jump or hammer enemies to damage them, no battle system)?

>That'll teach him!' Even though it was confirmed he wasn't in his right mind and wasn't doing anything bad when he got possessed.

That's because Peach didn't know that Bowser wasn't really involved this time around since she didn't get to see his normal self because Mario already hammered him to oblivion.
Also I guess it went kinda like in Kirby games, where Dedede and Kirby hit each other for no reason from time to time a la "oops there was a mosquito on your back".

I'd personally like it since I do like SPM's combat a lot, but I can see people then complaining about how the game is too short since in this entry you'll be spending 80% of the time looking at your cards.

Honestly that sounds like the next best thing since the combat in this game was the real killer to me. I do wonder what they would do about bosses though, it being in a 3D plain as a opposed to a 2D one like SPM sounds like it'd be hard to pull off.

The only other option I'd be fine with is if they do another totally different approach to combat but I have no idea what they could do & if it'd be well made after playing SS/CS's combat.

It'd be better. I don't particularly like SPM's battle 'system' either since having to hit enemies multiple times is stupid due to how simplistic it is, I feel enemies should be more aggressive on the field and only require one or two hits like in the main series so that it's more of a matter of timing and precision than repetition.

>Purple Skull Rock

>To get there we got to take a big pirate ship

>In the middle of the sea

>Islands that are deep and dark

>Boss is Wendy is only Wendy the entire way

>No miniboss either

Did the designers just forget that Gooper Blooper existed?

Why did they make the "Traditional Giant Blooper fight" a bunch of targets for the ship?

There weren't nearly enough minibosses, shame considering the mini boss theme is so good.

You said this in a previous thread you retard, did you not get enough (you)'s or something? Here's one, faggot.

That's literally what the dev team did according to the interview

It's bad enough they reused Petey AGAIN, why reuse more fucking Sunshine bosses? When did it become okay to constantly reuse old shit instead of making new characters?

Also, someone tell me what card I'm suppose to use on the wall that the tiny toad is clinging to in the yellow district. I tried the vege/turnip but it didn't do anything for some reason.

>It's like someone looked at Paper Mario 1 and 2 and said "I don't like this combat, or these characters, or the setting, but Mario being made of paper is pretty funny. Make it about that."
user, I...

It's really odd how the only thing this game borrows from Sunshine is Petea Piranha when both Bowser Jr. and Gooper Blooper were in Sticker Star, and both of them would have been fitting for this game thanks to the paint theme.

>We gotta wait 3-5 years to see if the next game will be more Sticker Star, back to the original gameplay or something new
The wait is going to be painful.

Read the interviews, you'll be sad at how accurate your quote is.

What makes small things easier to see?

>Also, someone tell me what card I'm suppose to use on the wall that the tiny toad is clinging to in the yellow district.
I'm assuming he just turned tiny for you recently? A little later in the game you get a Magnifying Glass Thing which grows him.

Many thanks.
Why did the rescue team leader toad dude tell him to eat a couple vegetables to grow 3 times his size, then? That's just confusing, especially since you get the turnip in that same level as the tiny toad.

>spoiler
It was a joke. Remember that this is still the Mario world.

Can someone post the wii u piracy pastebin?

Still confusing considering the timing of when you get the turnip thing.

What numbers do you think this game will pull?

I have a feeling it'll will do unfortunately well.

pastebin.com/8u0WAyJC

pastebin.com/HvHDL1mD

When was this poll?

It's active right now.

Thanks.

It's a Mario game, of course it's going to do well. Doesn't Mario Party still get good sales even though it's changed in a negative way? Man I really wish this spin-off series would just work out for the best & with little issue, I'm really yearning for a new Paper Mario RPG & nothing can really fill that void.

We're doomed then. If the game sells, PM will continue being the shallow mess it is.
Maybe we'll get better "story". people eat it up because of small improvements and Nintendo will settle for that since it means less cost for them

The last Mario Tennis sold like shit, and the Wii U has had a terrible year overall. Like, I don't think a single release has sold over a million.

Honestly the best chance for the series to get back on track is this game not doing well plus Intelligent Systems doing an HD remake of 64 or TTYD next and that selling well. It'd be the only way to get what the fans want through their stupidly thick skulls.

Considering the fact that it's on Wii U and it got leaked two weeks before release, I can't see it doing that fantastically.
Are there reviews out yet or is the embargo in effect until release?

Yeah, Mario Party 10 did over a million. Tennis bombed though

I don't know whether or not it'll flop, since nothing seems to sell on the Wii U anymore, or if its sales will be huge, since it's the only thing on the system left this year, and it's a fucking Mario title.

It might be one of those middle of the road things, where it could do better than the rest of 2016's lineup, but fall considerably short from Sticker Star.

How many gigabytes does the game need to be pirated? I might be stuck if all I can find is a 2gb card.

does anyone know where to find HUGE attack cards? I'm just missing Huge hopslippers, Huge line jump, and Huge KO hammer to complete the museum and finally put this game to rest

Has there been any other Mario flops recently? Because 1 game isn't going to make me have even the smallest bit of hope yet, especially if MP10 got over a million. It doesn't help that the bitching probably got this game even more attention on the internet.

A little under 8GB.

I used a 16gb card. It definitely needs more than 2gb, but I don't know the exact amount.

7.5 gb
bowser's castle? Check the shop too

7.52. You should get a 16GB SD card at least.

I'll look into getting a card but this is getting to be too much effort for an apparently mediocre game.

>It doesn't help that the bitching probably got this game even more attention on the internet

The whole idea of 'any publicity is good publicity' isn't true. Just look at Federation Force. That game's supposedly sitting somewhere around 20k units sold.

Difference is though, this is Mario. I've even seen some ads for it on TV, so there is marketing involved.

I have a feeling it will do better than people are hoping.

Did anyone else think the Enemy Cards were oddly picked? Why are there 5 cards for Shy Guys, 5 for Slurp Guys, and 3 for Spike Guys? But none for Soggy Guy, Shield Guy, or Shunned Guy?

There's also 2 Boomerang Bro cards, one normal version and one that's just a Boomerang Bro wearing a silly hat. Also there's no Piranha Plant card, but there is a Fire Piranha Plant card.

I also got them all, anyone know the best level to farm the different Shy Guys?

Woah, those are the exact same cards i'm missing.

I only did Wii U hacking for Tokyo Mirage Sessions to be able to play the uncensored game and then this one since it got leaked early and I don't really want to support current Paper Mario. I'd still say it was worth it, you can also get pretty much any Wii U game you might not have.

Shop doesn't have them, and you can't go back to Bowser's Castle after you beat the game. (Except the boss room)

I've been watching a streamer play this for the past week since i'm never gonna buy a Wii U

It looked really fun, the combat looked boring, but then again was that ever a strong part of the paper mario series? Looked like a solid 8/10 to me desu, I enjoyed myself

*I meant almost, not also

>PM1 sells great relative to N64 install base and time of release
>same style sequel greenlighted

>TTYD sells great relative to GC's install base and the timing of its release
>gameplay style dropped

>Super Paper Mario does the best numbers of the series by far (it takes combining the other three games' sales to match it)
>gameplay style dropped

>Sticker Star sells nicely, but much worse than TTYD relative to the 3DS' install base and time on the market
>same style sequel gets greenlighted

Conclusion: Nintendo will be Nintendo and we have no control whatsoever.

>the combat looked boring, but then again was that ever a strong part of the paper mario series?
Yes, otherwise nobody would have complained about it being gutted.

>was that ever a strong part of the paper mario series?

Yes. The gameplay to a video game is always fucking important.

>pic related
How curious, I get the feeling Kirby is one of the few series that never loses its heart no matter how many games come out.

PM's combat has never been too deep, but it was also never as shallow as SS/CS
You had badges, partners, and other lot of stuff and not use consumable items without increasing your stats

I guess you're right about that publicity thing, I didn't think of FF until you mentioned it.

I really do hope the game sells poorly though but based on the reactions toward the game turning around, that GameFAQs poll & it being Mario like you said I'm filled with so much doubt & worries.

>Did anyone else think the Enemy Cards were oddly picked?
Yeah they definitely were, before I went on the long ass search for the Paragoomba I thought I needed a Giant Goomba card or something or the Spike Goomba one but those don't even exist.

Also as a side thing I guess some other enemies might have some unused Enemy Cards since the Sledge Bro with shades has one, I really hope people pick apart this game quickly, I'm very curious what lies in it after seeing the Concept Art.

>anyone know the best level to farm the different Shy Guys?
Fort Cobalt? Maybe even Mustard Cafe? I went to multiple stages to find all the Shy Guys & Snifit cards, it sure was a pain.

I know right, was it really necessary to have multiple colors of shy guy and snifits count as a unique enemy? probably was laziness just to pad out the poor enemy roster.

Well he was technically the reason Huey died so I guess they were sort of in the right?

Huey is fine, it's shown off if you 100% it.

Cool, so there is a PM thread up right now.

I'm that faggot trying to make a PM fan game in Unity.

So I got dialogue doing shit right and have moved on to the pause menu.
This is the current placeholder in the game, and it's just straight up modeled after TTYD's menu.

Obviously, I won't be keeping this format 1:1.
Anything in the structure of Paper Mario pause menus (any of the pages, not just the first) that you guys ever wanted changed?
It seems what's there is pretty solid.

Is there any need or incentive to collect all the enemy cards?

Does this game have a post-game?

fills up a museum that unlocks concept art.

You unlock Concept Art in the Museum/Gallery. Here, I took screenshots of all of them if you're interested: imgur.com/a/Xqd7F

No, after you beat the final boss you just get sent back to where you were before you beat him. Only differences is you can view the credits from a Toad whenever & you get Black Bowser's Castle as a Enemy Card.

That depends. Do you like concept art?

Also guess I might as well show the progress that was made.

Text is sprites now, so it can do fancy things. The sprites are shit and pixelated though, so need to update that at some point.

Someone please post the joke poking fun at anti-gun control people.

That card isn't in the game? Where did you get that picture?

From the Japanese website, they have a lot (not all) of the cards in the background of it.

>No post-game

What amazing regress

I've saved a bunch of concepts from years of PM fan stuff, from fan partners, game mockups, area designs, etc I have over 600 files
Most seem to use variants of TTYD/SPM, since those are also based on PM64's. So you should keep it in the same style
If the game has a motif, you could try to implement it into the menus and GUI elements too

Why the hell did they scrap all these unique designs just to go for the most generic possible? Did Miyamoto walk in the room and flip over every fucking table?

Here is another one from a cancelled fangame

That regular Piranha Plant card is also unused them, because apparently there isn't a card for them.

It wouldn't surprise me, I mean they threw away the Duplighost-esque design for Rock Paper Wizard after all.

How to pirate.

Read

Can I get your steam accounts? I worked on a previous Cred Forums PM project, and since it's failure I've been putting together a couple documents in hopes of reviving the project once I'm more capable of working on it.

is a mockup from that project, by the way.

>flatwoods monster
wat

Yeah, I've seen the second one.

There isn't really a strong gimmick or motif per-say, but I have been looking into a more industrial/modern design since the general worlds I'm planning are more modern so far:
>Hub Area is a New York Style City
>One chapter is a digital world thing
>One chapter is an institutionalized prison
>One chapter may or may not be a titanic type thing

So I was thinking more solid shapes and flat lines than before.

Sorry, I am not linking this project to any public account that could possibly be traced back to me at the moment.
Just working and posting progress anonymously on Cred Forums really.
Kinda hard to collaborate, but it keeps me from getting C&D'd.

That one had a diverse cast

When has Nintendo ever sent out a C&D for a fangame?
Give me ONE example.

>worrying about a C&D
Why though? Worst case scenario is, should the project be finished, you upload it on a separate account or something and just change the name from a working title to a real one.

AM2R
Psycho Waluigi
No Mario's Sky

Those are recent cases I can remember, Pokemon Uranium were the creators that took down after AM2R fell

Jackie Chan

I always wanted there to be a Paper Mario game having to do with time travel.
>One chapter is a medieval styled land where the boss is an origami black knight, and as he loses health, he loses his limbs
>One chapter is prehistoric themed, the boss was a dinosaur that looked like Bowser from the first Mario Bros. game
>One took place in the future, possibly on an X-Naut's battleship for fanservice
Shit like that

I just checked that, you're right, weird.

I'm a dumb one here, anyone know how I could look into Wii U files and shit? My curiosity really has piqued.

Wait, they came after Psycho Waluigi? When?

>Psycho Waluigi
? Nintendo hasn't touched Psycho Waluigi was far as I know

Also, those were DMCAs, not C&D

you should be able to open the files from the loadiine folder if you know how Nintendo's encryption works
Maybe the smash bros modding community can help

This is the company that had Serebii, Pokebeach, etc. temporarily removed from the internet for having >images of Pokemon Black and White.

That should tell you enough

>suddenly got be urge to go listen to Gooper's Battle theme

>YouTube it

>They don't include the claps

I honestly dont know why I still have a wii-u. Is it possible to get a decent price for it at this point?

Weren't they "leaked" photos?

This one is a huge fanfiction writen by a guy on dA but it had good art. It seems to have time travel or stuff related to it

Nintendo doesn't go on Cred Forums my dude, you'll be fine unless you have a blogspot up or something

I'm late, but these are all found in random blocks in some levels. I can't remember where. Huge Hopslipper is literally only in one place in the entire game.

Oh, also since I was working on the menus, I thought of trying to do a title sprite.

It didn't really work out.
I wanted it to be this kind of "window into space" type deal, but it kinda became a mess.

Any suggestions on ways to fix it? Or should I scrap it and try something else?
The title is the working title I've been going with.

There's the rather famous fan game concept Paper Mario Countdown to Chaos that does that.
They have a lot of stuff about it (like a wiki of stuff) but they never made it into a full game.

It's decent, but I wanted to do my own story and specifically avoid ripping off theirs at all.

>My curiosity really has piqued.
This is to big a mystery for me.
I think we better call The Hardly Boys.

>put this game to rest

Oh man. Those exact words coursed through my head repeatedly as I was beating Sticker Star for the first (and last) time. Is it that bad?

It's not AS bad but it isn't good compared to other games. Battles are more of a chore than anything

Where do I go after the bridge guy fixes the bridge and theres the three key things?

After seeing all the shit in this thread, someone else needs to pick up the Paper Mario series and make it.

Miyamoto has already destroyed all creativity and he's pretty much already corrupted Intelligent Systems into thinking "All we need is Toads. TOADS EVERYWHERE". I don't trust them anymore.

>you should be able to open the files from the loadiine folder if you know how Nintendo's encryption works
I have the files still on me but I really don't know anything about this. I don't mind trying to figure it out though even if it takes a while.

>Maybe the smash bros modding community can help
Good idea, I forgot they're a thing.

Did you find any of the three yet?

I lost all hope for a good Paper Mario game, Color Splash have an even worse battle system than Sticker Star.

>colossal improvement over sticker star in terms of setting and personality
>solid visuals and music
>great script

>awful, shallow, repetitive combat
>bland NPCs compared to

Is 7/10 fair?

Sure, why not? As long as the first two games are 9s.

No and I've been somewhat meticulous. Do I just have to go through all of the levels and hub again to look for shit I missed?

PM = 9
PM TTYD = 9.9999999999
SPM = 8

5/10 max. Failing to deliver something important like gameplay shouldn't give it many points

The first Toad is the one in Cherry Lake who fell from the airship, if you've already given him his clothes and journal back then talk to him after he brings the blue Mini Paint Star close to you. The second Toad is in the course where the Ocean Festival takes place, he's the one trying to cross the sea by boat. Go back to the course after getting the Mini Paint Star and you'll be able to help him out.
The third Toad is on the mountain course, once you get the Mini Paint Star go back to the base of the mountain and speak to the gatekeeper, it's actually him.

You need to find 3 Toads...

A red Toad who wants to be a superhero.
A yellow Toad who lives on a mountain.
A blue Toad who is fucking pissed off.

It's true the gameplay is terrible. It looks pretty but it never manages to capture the feeling of paper which is probably more beneficial in this type of game than in the first 3. The combat is the least fun aspect of the game and is very slow due to the gamepad.

It doesn't have a good script, for fucks sake

It works for now. Depending of how the title screen looks like, modify it so it isn't too out of place.
And remember how the rest of the UI is too

Thanks guys. Now I can backtrack without the misery of not knowing if my backtracking is aimless.

>This game tears me apart inside. The humour is surprisingly on point at times and they went all-out with the presentation, minus the use of individual characters (although it's much better than SS in that regard). Even the music is pretty decent.
>But the battles are literally filler with no strategy or substance. All bosses are reduced to "bring the right item or you lose". After getting your max paint up to a reasonable number, which can be done in chapter 1, it suffers from the same thing as Sticker Star. There's no reason to fight fodder and the flee button is woefully inaccurate.

This is pretty much my problem with the game. The humor is pretty on point, and there's some charm here and there, but battles are pretty much the same, and I don't like bossfights that say "use X, or fuck you"

Larry's fight requires you to fight off have a small skirmish with Larry, in which he'll heal up the damage, meaning those stickers go to waste.
Then you need to take out three waves of enemies in one turn to help a Toad take over the engine car. If you mess up once, you have to start over again.
And then after that, if you don't have the right card, Larry will literally say "I'm tired of this. Thanks for playing, loser!" and will literally stomp you until you die.

Dat music though.

>humour is surprisingly on point at times
No surprise someone who unironically says "on point" enjoys this garbage writing.

There's one thing that's driving me nuts and that is finding all the paint spots. It's not a particularly fun activity and in some courses a few spots are just bullshit in how they blend in with the terrain and/or how tiny they are. Indigo Underground was basically me swinging the hammer blindly in dark places hoping I was hitting spots that were colorless rather than light grey. I get so fucking annoyed when I get to the end of a course with 95+% spots colored in and I'm unable to just let go and move on, so I end up backtracking forwards and backwards until I find the missing ones.

I'm gonna try to learn and report back here if I find something cool.

No it wouldn't

Anything less than a 5 is never used.

>Just watched it
>"One of the developers's kids was into painting, so we thought it would be fun to make the game about that."

>"I had a dream that I was a wolf, so that was the twist for the new Zelda game."
>"My kid likes trains, and thus Spirit Tracks was born."
>"I got a cat. So that's the main thing that Super Mario 3D World brings to the table."

Nintendo needs to stop this.
It worked once with Miyamoto's garden and Pikmin. It's not something they should try to force or replicate.

Have you seen this image yet?

Even as a hardcore Juniorfag I hate that autistic little puppet show and all the imitator's its spawned.

I wish one of their kids was into videogames, maybe then they're make an actual fucking videogame for a change

I do to, I just like those screenshots.

I don't understand how that's popular. It seems like 2006 Newgrounds humor but without the charm.

The opening movie is saved as an mp4.
So you can just click on the files to watch it. Not something I expected.

>Even if you see like one Toad in town and then you could meet Toad in another place and you'll know it's the same Toad because of the way they talk & things they talk about.

No shit, of course I'll think it's the same Toad because all of them are the same shit copy-pasted.
Somebody fire that ching chong cunt.

Already 100% it, sadly. I'm playing AA6 right now.

I want to know why they kept the white outline. Some of the concept screenshots doesn't have them and I can't imagine how it would be a "long story"

>Huge hopslippers, Huge line jump, and Huge KO hammer
All three are in green energy plant.

>M&L Morton functions perfectly fine and simply shows a dislike of books to indicate he's dumb
>PM Morton is a literal troglodyte
I remember a time where Paper Mario had the more subtle writing of the two series.

You won't find more condensed hatred than this image

>And then after that, if you don't have the right card, Larry will literally say "I'm tired of this. Thanks for playing, loser!" and will literally stomp you until you die.
They do at least give you the hint to plug up the smokestack before the fight. Plus everything seems to stay dead until you actually finish the level so you can easily backtrack to Trash Toad and go back to the front of the train without any resistance if you really aren't prepared or don't get it.
>Dat music though.
youtube.com/watch?v=V1x1AxrX-gE
youtube.com/watch?v=EOJW2t0tSyo
youtube.com/watch?v=Uf8SXCIn5to
youtube.com/watch?v=ii31y99atJo

what about the huge eekhammer?

Is this the first time there's been an official death in Mario?

Are there ANY good bosses in Color Splash or are they all Use Thing encounters?
Please tell me at least the final boss is not Use Thing.

Super Paper Mario Chapter 7

There is one Thing required for the final boss, but it's given to you during the fight.

Do the countless minions that are literally killed before in the game count?
The shades sledge bro? The shy guys at ruddy road? The shy guy that speaks with you? The ton of minions clinging to their lives when you flood bowser's casts?

It looks like the text is stored in "name.msbt.lz" files. Is there a tool to read them?

No, Piper died long ago.

TEC in TTYD

There is a cool sequence in Roy's boss fight that would have been a genius moment of 'Oh Shit' in any other RPG, but it unfortunately can be undone with one thing card.

damn this game is brutal, almost as brutally bad as the combat in this game

The mini-bosses don't require anything.

I found one gbatemp.net/threads/release-msbt-editor-reloaded.406208/

Yeah but there are only 3 mini-bosses.

A really big Spiny.
Petey.
A really big Podoboo.

Lemmy requires you to use 2 things at the same turn, but all other bosses are only 1 thing

You kill Hooktail and likely Gloomtail in TTYD.
SPM has a kingdom 101 people get erased and Mario, Luigi, and Bowser sent to not-Hell while Peach goes to not-Heaven.
And in this game there are multiple Toads in the exact same condition.

Also found in the same stage

Use MSBT Editor Reloaded to read/edit them. However, they are compressed as .lz files, you need to decompress it first.

4*
You forgot Kamek

I keep getting this error.

>gameplay is inherently shit and a fucking shell of its former shelf
>7/10
Fuck off.

Color Splash does not use LZ11, I think. Use this:
gbatemp.net/threads/paper-mario-color-splash-mod-palace.443152/

It requires python to run

>edit
Are you for real? Please tell me yes

Reminder to change the settings to basic + buttons so you don't have to flick and touch shit every battle

Too bad it doesn't affect deck navigation any other time except during battles. Fucking sucks.

>the intro is a fucking .mp4
>tfw I can change it to whatever the fuck I want
As long as you edit the video to be 1:23 long it works.
I'm having more fun with this than playing the game at all.

So you changed the mp4 to Dolphin porn, right?

Not yet but it's possible.

Does it have to be exactly 1:23?

Yes, or else the game doesn't recognize it.

Smash does this too.

>Anything less than a 5 is never used.
5 is the very middle of the 0-10 rating system. It is average. You don't see 4 or below ratings often because most games are at least average, so they'd at least get a 5.

I have this and python, how do I decompress?

Because modern Japan gamers are too casual for Mario 2.

No games get less than a 5, even games that deserve it.

The only way to get less than a 5 is not even related to the quality of the game itself, just if it doesn't agree with the libertard agenda.

Yup. Here's a little taste.

Just drag any .lz file onto lz.py and it will decompress.

Rewrite of the game when?
Hopefully color splash hacking becomes a thing and we can turn it into a proper PM game if the combat is easy to mod
There is already a following script so we can use it for partners

>Rewrite of the game when?
Direct translation version when? I get the localization has been spicing up the games since the original but I'd still like to see that.

It just creates a folder that says pycache

Maybe I don't have the right version of python?

>toad's audition
>gets the part!
It's not like they would cut out their space filler.

>if the combat is easy to mod
Would the ideal start be:
>Card slot 1 is always painted normal jump
>Card slot 2 is always painted normal hammer
>Enemy cards have more HP
>Whenever you get a new card, you get one infinitely replenishing blank version for that slot
>No duplicates

>Card slot 1 is always painted normal jump
What if an enemy has spikes?

I think he meant in the card list, not which slots you use

That'd be a cool undertaking, and certainly possible.

Hmm, I didn't think it'd matter. Try Python 2.x if possible. Or run it via command prompt.

Sorry, but no. Having shit gameplay in a fucking GAME does not get the game a passing grade, let alone a fucking 7/10.

Can you imagine if this shit happened in schools for essays? Like, if the essay was supposed to be a two page essay on the Battle of Stalingrad, and the student wrote for 7 pages about how her new handbag gave her the courage to go skydiving?

>Fantastic sentence and paragraph structure
>Amazingly neat and pronounced handwriting
>Verbose and uses complex words

>faulty logic
>off topic
>repetitive

Would you seriously pass a student for turning in something like this? Would you give them a fucking 70% mark?

>shit gameplay

Paper Mario has always been about more than just combat.

Besides, the combat is fine.

Paper Mario has always been about good gameplay and good story, with everything else being a bonus.

Sticker Star 2.0 has shit gameplay and a completely forgettable story.

Managed to decompress Mario's graphics files.
Currently only have walking, standing and jumping ripped.

Soon we'll have the outline-less version
Tell us if you find unused sprites

>story

Watch an LP of TLOU then.

I'm able to read the text, and I have every line that enemies will say during battle. Where should I upload this for the world?

I don't think I can, because there are literally fucking 382 sprites for him. Should I upload the files to MEGA?

What is the filename? I can edit them to remove the outline and reimport it.

Anywhere, I can try them out and screenshot if you'd like.

The fuck does that have to do with anything?

You said Paper Mario has been about more than just combat, and you're right, it's been about two core things - gameplay and story.

Color Splash sucks in both categories, as we've all known for fucking years that it would.

One of the enemy lines is "This is fine".

I'm kinda hoping it's a fire related enemy.

All are named like the following:
>pera_albedo.(number from 1 to 382).dds
Exported as PNG, they're
>pera_albedo.(number from 1 to 382)out.png

Should I keep them as DDS files, or convert them to PNGs?

Yeah, but still.
It's another "do X or ELSE" series of fights.

Despite this game looking great and having decent humor, it still lacks all of the most important aspects of a good Paper Mario game.

I liked the first games for their unique characters, good story elements (including atmosphere and tension), and good RPG gameplay. Color Splash has none of these.

I'm not saying you could give him a dick but you could

This really goes to show how easily people are swayed by pretty graphics and quippy dialogue. When the gameplay in a game is not good, the game is not good. Even a 5/10 would be generous.

I found my favorite quote.

That's really disappointing.
Certainly if they had to keep it to PURE MARIO CHARACTERS ONLY they could have thought of more unique enemies for minibosses

What's with Nintendo and watering down their games so much?
Paper Jam was dissapointing, Sticker Star was dissapointing. Star Fox didn't prioritize the gameplay, Only Aonuma can save us now, because Miyamoto has gone senile.

Holy shit, 382 sprites? Fuck that, I won't edit that many. Probably just the walking sprites.

Anyway PNG would be easier, but including both wouldn't hurt.

The Mariowiki?

You are talking about people who like RPGs though. While Mario rpgs are different, most of them consist on grinding and menus and people love them for the story, even though the gameplay is nothing that special.

LET'S ALL LOVE LAIN

Up until Sticker Star the gameplay for the Mario RPGs have been decent. Even Super Paper Mario had a fun little nod to the classic games nearly the whole way through.

Can't do PNGs for everything, sadly. The DDS editor I'm using doesn't allow me to select OR export all 382 of 'em, but if you're just going to do the walking sprites, then go nuts. They're in the MEGA as a bonus.

>MEGA link: mega.nz/#!JZZiDTjR!Hed53cOKDEMsBj8Bs6c-liJo4m7hai33vZZY7sOrLkU

Happy editing!

>Died a couple rooms into the spike temple
>Booted to the main menu
I hate videogames

Datamined Peach's sprites. Have a laughing Peach.

Is this edited or actually in game?

Thank you for the Peach

There's a very big difference between gameplay being nothing special and being bad.

All the text i'm posting is actually in the game, i'm not editing any text (yet)

The toads were already getting tired of the shit they had to go through in that game

No it's because OG Mario 2 sucks.

It's not original nor is it fun.

inb4 doki doki panic. It was made by Miyamoto to begin with. 99% of the characters and objects were created by Nintendo.
:V They just realized Mario USA was the much better option.

Last one, i'm really tired.

A Toad says this to Mario in Toad Trainworks.

Context doesn't help.

Oh, huh.
They removed the gradients and inner glow.

And from the sound of it they're back to using full sprites rather than piecewise sprites with an hierarchy?

Weird choices, but I guess they now have the space to make each sprite a full thing.

Still, kinda miss the soft gradients.

Okay, took this a bit farther and set up a mockup.

Thoughts?

Yeah, me too. My guess is that they removed the shading so that the sprites don't interfere with the shaders the game already has.

>felt like I was playing for hours
>finally reach first boss
>decent buildup
>two attacks in he goes apeshit
>destroying my shit
>lemon[/spoiler] does nothing which is retarded since lemon juice SHOULD put out a fire.
>have to backtrack to finish the fight
>it's over in like 4 turns.

What's worse is I'm still going to keep playing it. This game has some very odd writing. It's almost like they knew Cred Forums would be playing it.

>I will tell the story of your sacrifice
>I will tell my children, and my children's children's parents

Looks nice
Maybe add a gradient into the back of the menu and the buttons, like how the sprites normally have, or even some dotted texture. Try it around

Fuck. I broke it

>Have character summon cards
>They're fucking useless because they run away during boss battles
>this applies to the Koopalings as well

They seem just like they're there to fill the mueseum up

Yeah That really annoys me to, Bowser just wanted a Rainbow shell!

Can a drawfag make an image of Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings Painting bowsers shell? Maybe making some crack about Color Splash, like "Cheer up, at least you actually spoke in Color Splash"

If you completely divorce this game from its franchise and pretend this is Mario's first RPG-esque game, how good or bad would it score?

It would be received better but people would still complain about the boring battle system. Just less

Yes! Fix it so that the Final Battle ends AFTER Bowser is Black Paint Free.

What about card combos?

Like Fire Flower + Ice Flower = some kind of Opposites bomb

Jump + POW Block = Earthshake Stomp

oh and make sure the enemy cards can actually DO SOMETHING in boss fights.

Id play it if a fan game came out on PC

>those ideas
>Id play it if a fan game came out on PC
I don't think you understand how this works, if it even would work at all

I don't know if "partners" are tied to enemy only, or if someone could edit an enemy to look like an original partner, but maybe if you have a partner following you in the overworld, when in battle, mario uses the summon card for said partner at the first turn automatically. Also increase partner HP and disable the flag to make them flee from bosses
Hopefully hackers will be able to make it work

>allies with you in overworld (or implied to be)
>have to summon them via card in battle
I really hated that in Chain of Memories. Don't know if it's something to retread.

Color Splash has support for entities following you around in the overworld
Just have to expand that into the battle system

Seconded. You should post that request in the video draw section.

Oh, something I haven't really asked about for my Paper Mario fan game thing.

So, you know how there's always been Macguffins mario has to get?
>Star Spirits
>Crystal Stars
>Pure Hearts
>Paint Stars

I don't have any designed yet, but for mine, I was thinking of having kinda a combination of the star spirits and the pure hearts with a different shape.
>Living actual characters like the star spirits
>Natural mystical things in each zone mario has to prove himself to acquire
>and, the weird part, they're literally keys.

Basically, the Macguffins would be Yakkey, only each with their own personality and magic powers.
With all of them together, the person gains a kind of cosmic power thing, or at least a chance to get it.

Sound reasonable or is the idea of 7 unique Yakkey's too out there?

Sprite ripper user here. Although I'm not going to waste hours ripping all 382 of Mario's sprites, I've gotten all 121 sprites of Peach.

There are actually 119 in total because sprites 11 and 12 don't exist for some reason.

>MEGA: mega.nz/#!VIo0BRgB!55B94iPHOM6onXFStDbFpndTBqtlX8Awuqx-xrz8r6o

All are in PNG format. Have fun.

Its funny how in Sticker Star, Bowser required certain thing stickers to beat. But now in Color Splash, he doesn't require any Thing cards. how odd.

I like it. Do you have concepts for any of the keys?

two paper marios was enough. We didn't need to shit that came next.

Why was Bowser even at the island in the first place? Apparently it's far enough away that you need to get there by boat, and yet he just seemed to be there pouting at people having fun until he joined in himself.

The games just to hard for you shitstain

Not anything strong design wise yet.
But I have been thinking up key puns.
>Space Key found inside a computer/digital world.
>Probably a Time Key to go along with that one in another chapter
>DonKey or MonKey could be somehow related to money/crime.
>Skeleton Key is an easy one as something that could come up, though not sure if I'd use it since it's so obvious
>Tubular Key just sounded funny, and is an actual thing.
>Spare Key as one that can pacify enemies
>etc.

Kinda a problem with the puns though, I feel like they should be names instead of just "___ Key".
For the first chapter, you always get a healing special, so I was thinking maybe a key with the power to produce food called Plenkey, but it seemed like a stretch.
Then again, some star spirits were really streches too. Like Mamar.

Pretty boring overall, not even judging if this is a paper mario or not.

This game should just go straight to Nintendo Selects. Then I might actually buy it.

They thought that expecting the player to know that they needed a cutting thing, pinning thing, freezing thing, the fan, and a raccoon tail might have been a bit too much.

Some of those the game explain, like the spy toad at cobalt base saying you need tails. But he doesn't tell you you need the balloon, only after you fight ludwig once and flees. So you either have to talk to the toad in the trash can at the harbor to get the things or just carry all of them to be safe

Needs one named Lakkey or Keylah
Maybe try "key" in other languages too

Lakeysha

spare key is probably really dangerous when he goes spare

Lakkey could be interesting. Maybe a special that boosts your partner?

A similar one that I thought of was Rookey as one that would boost defense or something.

I was referring to just Sticker Star, specifically Bowser's fight. They're much better about telling you what you need now by giving hints in the level, having thrash toad, and making backtracking easier since the enemies stay dead.

>Rookey
>young up-and-comer with a head shaped like the chess piece

>in order to save Rookey you have to fight this boss

>Battle ability lets him take a hit for Mario
>It's called Castling

Starting to rip the red Shy Guy. He's got 79 sprites, so I might not finish before the thread archives.

Decided to try a really rough, really fast concept of Plenkey based on just first thoughts.

Not meant to be something good here, just a general gist of what I'm saying.

Guys like this would be the thing Mario and the villain are after.

youtube.com/watch?v=GqtoZsDfZ04

Don Keyote!

No that's a stretch, get rid of that one.

I think if you give even your concepts thicker outlines, people won't be so weirded out by them
Should be like 5 seconds in photoshop

I'll never forgive Iwata and Miyamoto for this.

Iwata is gone, Miyamoto should follow suit.

You mean like this?
I mean, sure, i can do that.

It needs to be THICKER
Jokes aside the outline should be pretty thick to match Mario's and other official sprites

Red Shy Guy sprites are up. Knock yourselves out.

mega.nz/#!BY4RDKga!M5G3TKkrvm5xZJ0AGphYwbm2xDLPNrog-Sb-ASIjbPA

I'm done ripping for the night. Feel free to repost these links, though.

Oh, I know about that much.

When I'm doing a real sprite that I could possibly use, I try to match the line thickness in the rips.
There's also the inner glow and soft gradients in each shape that have to be balanced around.

For example, pic related is my attempt at copying the Magikoopa sprite so I could try to make my own Magikoopa partner.

Cool, thanks user

Yeah but without the outlines it feels like an amateurish drawing.
Also remember: OUTlines. So only the borders should be thicker

Forgot to mention, password for Mario's sprites are "colortrash".

Some do, some don't actually.

Magikoopa, like in my redraw, has fairly thin lines.

Meanwhile, fucking blooper's lines are super thick and the width varies greatly.
Not even a thing of complex vs. simple, cause Whomp's outlines from Sticker Star are actually relatively thin.

I always thought they looked consistently thick, but there's actually a lot of variance.

Kamek makes up by having the inside lines being lighter than the outlines

What about Whomp? He doesn't really have inside lines aside from the face.

Also, I'm surprised I never realized Whomps didn't exist in PM till Sticker Star.

Whomp is a big guy

I'm hitting the sack, so I'm just gonna shill my rips one last time.
>Raw Mario Files: mega.nz/#!JZZiDTjR!Hed53cOKDEMsBj8Bs6c-liJo4m7hai33vZZY7sOrLkU
>Peach Files: mega.nz/#!VIo0BRgB!55B94iPHOM6onXFStDbFpndTBqtlX8Awuqx-xrz8r6o
>Red Shy Guy Files: mega.nz/#!BY4RDKga!M5G3TKkrvm5xZJ0AGphYwbm2xDLPNrog-Sb-ASIjbPA

Good night, anons.

What if he's actually a big girl?

I wouldn't get around to her for a long ass time, but I really do want to make this Whomp partner work.
She's going to be the Bow/Vivian of the game, hiding Mario by slamming onto him so they both become flat on the floor. Complete with a little arm flail from mario as she does it.

I think the lipstick is a bit too much

HOW DARE YOU RATE A GAME ON A FAIR 10 POINT SCALE.

USE THE FUCKING SCHOOL GRADING SYSTEM REEEEEEEEEEE

It's just static images like sprites, not even shuffling pieces?
Why not at least use the GOOD Mario design, then?

Everyone knows Mario lost his legs on the boat ride to Rogueport, they fell overboard and nobody bothered to fish them out.

Alright, I'm just gonna say it. I fucking loved Mario's popup book feet and going back to the 3 frames of animation of the original feels bad.

Does anyone know how to get that fuckin last paint spot in Plum Park
On the hedge on the 2nd screen up from the start
I don't have a picture of it but I'm at a loss on how to get it

b-b-but user, nintendo is evil! they are ruining gaming by not allowing muh shitty fangame to damage the reputation of their properties!

>liking a Mario series baby character
>thinking you have the right to call anything autistic
Those are your peers.

You gotta paint an invisible bridge

You're shitting me right? Where? I even checked for a bridge around the Sniffits but I didn't find it unless I just conveniently missed it

It's across another bridge in that area

Fuck me I feel retarded
Thanks

So did these get posted yet or...?

>That feel when these designs could've been reused for the natives.
Actually kinda reminds me of what they could do if we ever visit the Sticker Star in a future game which will be never.

>First game
>Cute popup story themed RPG
>Second game
>cute popup story themed RPG
>3rd, 4th, and 5th game
>LOL EVERYTHING IS PAPER GUYS

>Didn't get that Bowser with a cape
>Instead we got Bowser covered on black tar shit
Holy shit this game doesn't stop pissing me off

And we all know Rock Paper Wizard.

Hey! Not true! The third game was 2D not paper

It's a shame, although as some people pointed out, it would look awkward from the side. Hope they recycle it in another Mario game though, because that design's too cool to pass up.

What were the bosses like in this game?

Fuck off namefag

If you got time to kill

youtube.com/watch?v=5Awn-CjrBwc