What was it about the SNES that made it the generally agreed upon best video game console of all time?

What was it about the SNES that made it the generally agreed upon best video game console of all time?

How did Nintendo do it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/xL83Ko0vYrw?t=809
youtube.com/watch?v=2n_6FHZNolQ
youtube.com/watch?v=EGWSijvWxFI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Rareware

Rareware was even more active on the N64, so by that logic the N64 should be better

>natural evolution from the NES
>new, innovative franchises
>tons of third party support
>multitude of vidya genres to choose (only lacking in sports and shmups)
>almost every game had multiplayer
>everyone had one, so you could always share games with friends

Best Nintendo console hands down, and one of the 3 best of all time i guess. PS1 is up there too.

Don't forget online multiplayer in very few games.

This thing of beauty.

>only lacking in sports and shmups

What? SNES had pretty much every sports games what's on top of current generation of consoles and there was plenty of shmups as well.

>good first-party games
>third-party support
>large library
the exact opposite of some of their later consoles

Did the SNES have the largest library ever?

not even close, but possibly the largest out of any nintendo console

it had actual competition

i actually prefer the genesis over the snes though

The SNES was a big jump in graphics and audio quality from the NES. Like there are a bunch of other reasons that helped bit I feel like this was the major reason it was considered so much better.

>Best video game console of all time

You called?

[/spoiler] woah

Was that mainly a success in America?

Grew up in the middle of Europe and don't recall any friend having a Genesis, only SNES

So do I.
I think they're pretty much equal from an objective point of view.
But the Genesis has more of the games I like, while the SNES focuses more on RPGs and adventure games which I personally don't care for.

Gen 4 was so fucking good, man. Gen 6 babbies need to get the fuck out, they have no idea.

woah

I'd definitely rate the PS2 second, but I don't feel like it wins.

It ran vidya at 60 fps.

Yeah, this was when graphical leaps are actually leaps, and not steps.

Super Metroid was amazing shit.

IIRC both the genesis and snes sold around the same amount of units around the world except for one country, japan. the genesis tanked in japan although segas arcades were popular.

tfw urge to find ps2 in box rising

no, the ps2 and wii beat it out in terms of quantity
>wii u only comes sort of close if you include multiplats and virtual console

>posting multiplats
>for the ps2 of all consoles

baka

The NES was the cradle of video games. All games today are based on a game that was on the NES.

Not a single actually good game

Reddit?

Yes you are, user.

Nintendo used hardware to expand upon what games could do rather than how a game can be controlled like they've been doing recently.

It's only because it was the last 2D console. Going 3D set back gaming five decades.

retarded. It's because all the classic franchises and developers were on it. Games were cheap enough to crank out, and full of random weirdness.

>PS1 is up there too
terrible opinion.

>nintendobabbies actually think this
I know you're just shitposting, but we could possibly be sharing a board with people who actually think this.

Real time strategy? First person shooter?

CUTE SPRITES

>ps2 version of splinter cell
>ps2 version of viewtiful joe
>ps2 version of resident evil 4

cmon really? did you forget games like sly 2, devil may cry 3, and twisted metal black?

Arcades and MS-DOS predated the NES.

There are underaged idiots who really believe this.

Let's face it, you're too young to appreciate anything that came out before 2008.

>Sonygger trying to project
lmao
You redditors are so easy to spot

>no lion king

(you)

Regular strategy, regular shooters.

Plenty of DQ on those, huh?

user, I realize the thread was full of reasonable statements and posting, but pretending to be retarded isn't a requirement.

Fuck off retard, not even him but a fuckton of the NES library were arcade ports, not to mention preceding consoles and everything that went down pre-crash.

Yea there's times I don't see a whole lot of difference between a PS3 game and a PS4 game.

What did the NES even do that wasn't done before?

back when nintendo actually competed against their competitors

I thought that was the Playstation? Pretty sure the Playstation inspired all video games.

Oddly enough Super Metroid was overlooked on release. Donkey Kong Country and Earthworm Jim stole all the hype, and Mortal Kombat 2 and mega man X were still hot shit.

It wasn't until a few months later that people were like "BTW they released this game called Super Metroid and Final Fantasy 6"

>seeing dk country for the first time
it was like something from the next gen it was so far ahead of everything graphics wise.

>tfw the jump from god tier end time 2D to early 3D

It was so bad

The current jump from top tier 3D to early VR reminds me of that desu

Colors, screen scrolling, worlds etc.

I wish Genesis had a more varied library, though. It wasn't horrible or anything, but it really lacked the all-time classic third-party support SNES got, especially in RPG department.

>Plenty of DQ on those, huh?
DQ was inspired by Wizardry and Ultima: games for home computers. Wizardry was inspired by tabletop Dungeons and Dragons.

That had been around for a long time before NES

It had poor man's everything. Poor man's FF (Phantasy Star), poor man's FE (Shining) and so on.

The Mega Drive was a great rental machine though. Play a little Quackshot, Sonic, Aladdin and then move on.

Yeah seriously. Sony invented gaming anyway.

To be honest, PS1 had some pretty damn tight 2D games. Problem was everyone jumped on 3D fad without actually thinking it through.

>playing pseudo 3d games like stunt race fx and pilotwings
it was a goddamn magical console that only got better with age

it had classics that were on par with the SNES but sega failed to market them properly

It just had a shitton of good games that aged really well, unlike 5th and 6th gen games

DKC was just impressive for SNES but by the time it came out Doom was already out for a year

DnD was inspired by folklore. Your point?

The NES codified every genre, which is why platformers look a lot more like SMB than Pitfall and RPGs look a lot more like DQ than Adventure.

there was something so classy about those covers

kek, phantasy star 4 is better than any FF game

Are you okay user? You seem to be suffering from a severe case of being completely retarded.

>mfw this and M.C. Kids are actually good platformers.

>ITT everyone tries to disprove Nintendo's accomplishments and downplay their relevance to gaming history.

But PC was always master race user, it's not fair to bring it up.

>official SEGA GENESIS seal of quality

heh

Arcade was actually
There were already 3D fighters in 1993

You know, I see Cred Forums shitting on every console in existence, but for some reason never the SNES.

Why? Babby's first emulator?

always loved the font on "Sega Classic"

Shining Force shits all over FE.

>NINTENDO INVENTED GAMING
That's objectively stupid, dude.

It's because it's impossible to dislike the SNES. It was the perfect console.

Even non-Nintendo fans admit this.

It was honestly more about overspecialization to a fault because of arcade traditions. Just look at how many shmups and rail shooters it got.

Luckily i didn't say that, now did I? :D

It's a genuinely amazing console with an excellent library that catered to pretty much everyone.

That's not the Dreamcast.

I'm now realizing that Sega always had the best names for their systems.

Some of my favorite action-adventures and SRPGs are Mega Drive games. There weren't too many great JRPGs though.

Post your top 5 SNES games. Be honest and don't try to be a hipster, nobody's impressed that you beat Terranigma or Umihara

1. Yoshi's Island
2. Super Metroid
3. Donkey Kong Country 2
4. Mega Man 7
5. Final Fantasy 6

>resulted in healthy competition meaning more games for literally everyone
It wasn't like 2nd gen where everyone was fighting over Pac-Man ripoffs and ports.

Will a decent Dreamcast emulator ever happen?

ma nigga, that console died way too early.

So then who's downplaying, or did you just come by to drop a shitpost

>Mega Man X3
>Super Metroid
>Demon's Crest
>A Link to The Past
>King Arthur and The Knights of Justice

Genesis had more of those. I worded that bad.

No it's not.

Last I heard, there were a couple good ones. I remember emulating CV:X on my old machine many years ago. There must be something at least decent by now.

>The NES didn't radically change gaming

This is what kids today actually think.

Funnily enough, with their shitty iOS and Facebook games we're now reverting to when games were just one screen timewasters.

Fuck you, Terranigma IS my favorite SNES game and probably even favorite game of all time.

ps1 was doing both at the time. crash bandicoot games, for example, was great use of 3d with hardware's limitations in mind. you also had vagrant story.

>The NES didn't radically change gaming
to quote the shitposter
"Luckily i didn't say that, now did I? :D"

There's a significant difference between inventing something and changing an existing industry. Don't be a moron.

Nobody here is shitposting except you, you argumentative, antisocial, narcissistic faggot. Don't you have a youtube video to record?

The Megadrive actually outsold the SNES in Europe, the NES was closely tied with the Master System.

Megadrive(Genesis) had a huge lead in NA until the SNES launched, and rapidly lost it. SNES outsold the Genesis overall in the US.

1. Chrono Trigger (it was dear to my heart)
2. Super Metroid
3. Sim City
4. Final Fantasy 2 (4)
5. Killer Instinct

the amount of amazing exclusives and arcade ports the dreamcast got during its 18 months were impressive. its really sad that sega left the console business even though they kinda deserved it.

I like 3D gaming but there's always so much of it. It's too open, it's too cramped - It's too linear, it's too confusing etc.

The benefit of 2D is that you can achieve perfection.

>you argumentative, antisocial, narcissistic faggot
the irony coming from someone thinking people are still down-playing what nintendo did
protip: video games existed before they worked their magic

Is this a new may may?

delicious sprite work.

It changed console gaming. PC gaming, especially in Europe, was not affected by the crash because it was pretty much a separate entity.

>even though they kinda deserved it.

Funny how EVERYONE keeps making their mistakes. Betting on untested technology, releasing the same console with minor upgrades, ignoring the value of strong exclusives and so on.

Sega didn't deserve to leave the hardware business at all, imo. I've been an idort during the 16 bit days and my Sega consoles always were my main machines.

>PC gaming
>1983

hahahAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*since the 16 bit days

Nintendo first party+ all relevant third party games.
Thats why the NES and SNES are their best systems.

gameplay was more important back then
and nobody could beat Nintendo at good gameplay

PS1 had better Breath of Fire games, Xenogears, Legend of Dragoon, Wild Arms 1+2, Threads of Fate, Koudelka, Legend of Mana, FF7-9, FF Tactics, among other things that made me like it over SNES.

1. Donkey Kong Country 2
2. Kirby Superstar
3. SimCity
4. Demon's Crest
5. Super Mario RPG

>nintendo home console being even in the top three of the GOAT

It's PS2 then DS and GBA (latter two interchangeable depending on preference) you fucking melt

It's because sony had yet to bring forth the age of the "interactive narrative."

People who think the SNES is the best Nintendo console haven't matured enough to realize that the true best Nintendo console is the NES.

I was once like you, OP. But I cannot deny how GOAT the NES is since my NES collection eclipses my SNES one.

Almost everything you said there applies even more to the NES.

>tfw gameplay isn't important anymore today

>Megadrive(Genesis) had a huge lead in NA until the SNES launched, and rapidly lost it. SNES outsold the Genesis overall in the US.
By the time the next generation had started, Sega was still leading by a fair amount in the US.

The difference is Sega stopped supporting the genesis while Nintendo kept supporting the SNES through the entire N64 lifetime.

A-HEM

>Weaker than an NES
>No colors
>Faced more competitors than any other platform
>Ran on expensive batteries

>Stayed relevant throughout three gens, smashing and burying literally everyone else on the market
>10/10 games from day 1 to the last
>Became synonymous with handhelds to the point where people still call a DS or PSP the "Gameboy"

Sega does nothing but stupid things with divine tier products. They're like the monkey's paw if it were a video game company.

>people still call a DS or PSP the "Gameboy"
Wrong, they call them "Nintendos"

Many things originated on NES, but they were perfected on SNES.

It was just a really good normal game console with strong hardware (strongest available at the time, if we don't count NeoGeo which nobody owned because it was absurdly expensive) and tons of games. That's it. It was the Playstation of the time. Wonder why Nintendo never attempted that strategy after it, instead of relying on gimmicks.

I personally preferred Megadrive actually, though I totally understand anybody who disagrees on that.

nah the visuals were just shit even back then

fucking hate that green, even as a kid I hated it

DVD Player 2 had like 10 worthwile exclusives. It's complete shit, even when compared to the PSX.

I'm going to projectile vomit if i read that again. So happy these fucker's project tanked. Good riddance.

Check. Mate.

kys

Relevant.

It's been 3 years since Cred Forums did this. If you don't remember then you're new as fuck

>gameboy

lol get fucked, best handheld was pic related

NES lacks in refined JRPGs, whereas the SNES is literally the king of that. Sure, it has some of the origins of a lot of beloved series, but they don't hold up very well due to lack of in depth dialogue, battle systems, and characters (usually create-your-own). Compare this to the SNES which was a great compromise between pixelated graphics and something nice to look at, much more detailed but not overdone soundtracks, and so much more.

Link's awakening is still my favorite Zelda game. It's the only game I really liked for that system though.

>Faced more competitors than any other platform
Come on, we all know the Game Gear was its only competition.

No, not even.

Rareware was a symptom of the SNES' success, not the cause of it. The real smoking gun was they had legacy third party support, some of which was porting their hit arcade games to the system.

It also helps that the controller had more than enough buttons out the box to accommodate such games if needed and shoulder buttons were a big fucking deal in some titles.

I wonder what would have happened if the PS2 had been on the right bottom

I think ps2 would have ever so slightly beat genesis

Yeah. Though a few of those exclusives were to die for, like Monster Hunter 2.

My main issue with the PS2 is that it killed too many franchises. That's when both Mega Man and Castlevania failed and started to die because the installbase only wanted interactive movies.

I don't really agree with NES beating ps3 but it doesn't really matter because snes would beat it anyway.

I know that feel.

But user that's not the PS1

They made some of the best games for the SNES and arguably the best ones for the N64.

>I think ps2 would have ever so slightly beat genesis
Probably. Bracketfag didn't start properly seeding these until around 2015

Did your dad work at one of these

This guy gets it

nigga I see you samefagging

Game Gear and Nomad were good devices, but they ate through batteries like nothing.

PS1 is not even the best Sony console

PS2 is

Out of how many in that library exactly?

Like 5 titles out of 1200+? One of which released near the end of its lifespan

>that filename
They sure consumed batteries faster than Nintendid.

>N64

Literally worse than the Saturn

I see you can't stop new IPs by post

newfag

*Wild cat roar*

i'm not samefagging

>picking on the Saturn
That's like pranking a corpse.

"Q: So of the three key aspects of a game - visuals, gameplay and story - which would you say was your priority with The Order 1886?

A: I think story and visuals are very high. Gameplay is something that... it's a game, we make games, we can't get around it. We love games, but we also love telling stories, so I think story is always going to be at the top because it's what we start with. It's at the top of the pyramid and everything else supports that. I think it'd be more challenging to make a game for the gameplay's sake, then (than) try to make a story that fits in there."

THIS IS EVERYTHING WRONG WITH WESTERN GAMES.

THIS IS FUCKED.

YOU DON'T START A GAME WITH IT'S STORY YOU FUCKING DUMBSHIT. GO MAKE A MOVIE

Nah, Rare was already on their way out. Their magnum opus was for the NES and everything good about DKC was lifted from there.

there's a fucking console that died too soon. poor timing, saturn. poor timing.

The Red Arremer/Gargoyle's Quest series started on Game Boy, not NES. NES game was the second one.

Also, there are only very few franchises from the NES era that didn't get casualized in the transition from 8-bit to 16-bit.

>NES lacks in refined JRPGs
And? The NES has so much incredible variety and experimentation that it doesn't matter.

>but they don't hold up very well due to lack of in depth dialogue, battle systems, and characters
Come on user, really? Jesus, read a book.

The Lynx looks so fucking uncomfortable to play on.

>batteries
ugh. Those things were awful and they were like a meta currency back in the day. The worst were those giant heavy D-Cell batteries that you needed 50 of to power a single stereo cassette player. Those things became weapons when they were depleted. So annoying to keep track of which ones still had juice and which ones were spent. Thank god for lithium ion.

You're the dumbass, dumbass. They know their audience. Thank god you don't make games or the critics would deem them to be... "Childish"...

This game is one of the very few real 10/10 games in existence.

yeah, i understand it was arcade first. it was an image unrelated to my reply, sorry.

>SNES vs Genesis in the final 2

It's like poetry.

This quote really wouldn't be as bad in a world without walking sims. It would just be taken earnestly as a game with a story focus rather than an attack on the very tenets of game design

>WE NEED TO SURPASS NINTENDO
>WE NEED MORE GLARE ON THE SCREEN

>Wake up one day
>Gameboy is all wet
>"Haha my batteries peed themselves"
>Spend the next month in the hospital

Yeah f*ck Batteries

Because it had the best library. Why else?

>The one thing all of Cred Forums did that so little of Cred Forums actually agrees with.
Which only lends to the idea that Cred Forums's opinion should be treated with a micron of salt.

The only people playing the order are people who need a strategy guide for quicktime events. fuckin lol

>NES lacks in refined JRPGs

Maybe, but you also have to consider the times back then. Not to mention games that simply didn't make it out of Japan and Japan was big on JRPGs. You have your Deep Dungeon, Glory of Heracles and more standalone games I can't even remember. Keep in mind JRPGs had yet to BE refined in the first place.

>not legitimately liking Terranigma

1. Mega Man X
2. Terranigma
3. Turtles in Time
4. A Link to the Past
5. Kirby Superstar

>Nah, Rare was already on their way out. Their magnum opus was for the NES

>Perfect Dark
>Killer Instinct
>Conker's Bad Fur Day
>Donkey Kong Country
>Banjo Kazooie
>Blast Corps

pretty sure the Lynx ate boys, look at the size of that thing

>PS1 had better Breath of Fire games
No, it didn't.

That fuck for fan translations or DF2 would've stayed JAP-only.

And how well do those hold up today compared to the unique masterpiece that is Battletoads?

I thought so.

Your father put you in the hospital for peeing on your gameboy?

>tfw the NX will look like the Lynx

>Proof that a huge chunk of Cred Forums are in their late 20's and early 30's, still being petty and nostalgic on an image board.
lmao

More like the Atari Lynch, am I right?

I guess I never stopped to look at it that way.

I'm shocked that the Xbox beat Saturn. Did the Xbox have games?

So who is the rightful best? PS4 Pro?

1 was meh
2 was good
3 was the best in the series
4 was the 2nd best.

It's not their fault, it's just that everyone copied Goldeneye and DKC while nobody copied Battletoads.

It's the same charm SM64 has over OoT, like there's fifty OoT ripoffs but only one SM64.

This is the answer. It was years and years of all-out war to create the best library and recruit the best talent to win the console wars.

I'd rather play any of those games then fucking Battletoads.
Side-Scrolling beat 'em ups are 100% rote memorization based on trial and error- in other words, boring.

>Sleeping with your gameboy.
>Was probably using batteries that are covered in moonrunes considering how incredibly rare it is for American batteries to burst when they're used properly.
I love it when the ignorant and stupid are punished

Definitely, no working emulator though so they're really obscure for big console titles nowadays.

More like the internet was also full of bitter people back then.

The playground didn't really have any console wars, you were just glad if someone else had a Genesis because then you could go over there and play a bunch of new games.

Him "insulting" Banjo-Kazooie is no excuse for such a dumb generalization

lel

>variety and experimentation
And the SNES didn't have more of that, in your opinion? Fuck man, get your head out of your ass.

SNES:
>experimental 3D games to the extent that they put considerably more powerful hardware in the game cartridge
>perfection of game coherence
>experimenting with sexual themes and adult dialogue
>perfect balance of leaving things to your imagination vs proper illustration (the NES was undeniably ambiguous half the time)
>vast worlds to explore, PLENTY of unique sprites

I love the NES, it was my introduction to gaming and holds a special place in my heart. However I'm not fooled into thinking that it wasn't stressful to play sometimes because of all the black backgrounds, lack of 3 dimensional personalities, sound effects canceling out music, and extreme lack of dialogue even in RPGs.

I had two of those. It was so damn awesome for a handheld system. I remember it had this great dracula game on it that I never beat as a kid. It was a surprisingly good game that no one ever talked about due to it being on a system that no one owned. Wonder if I can emulate it...

Only one stage of Battletoads is beat 'em up though.

It has twelve. And they're all unique. Many of them with randomized obstacles.

>The playground didn't really have any console wars
The world didn't revolve around you.

I wouldn't go as far as "better" but definitely equaled all of them except VI.

Was Jay Leno right?

>Side-Scrolling beat 'em ups
Cute, way to prove you've never even played Battletoads.

This.

The internet took something stupid, something called fanboys and made them even worse. That's why pissing contests like belong in a garbage can.

Name a side scrolling beat 'em up that doesn't match my analogy, and then by all means you can call it a 'dumb generalization'.

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Super Metroid
3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the past
4. Earthbound
5. Super Mario World

Not him but Demon's Crest lacked a lot of the charm present on the gameboy and NES. The music, the novelty, the skill progression, but most importantly, the levels didn't need to be designed around infinite flight.

Are you disregarding every third party game on the snes?

wew lad

It wasn't Nintendo
It wasn't Sega

The end of sprites killed videogames. Or you can say the end of art.

>Name a side scrolling beat 'em up that doesn't match my analogy
River City Ransom, Turtles in Time.

Use your brain. What's the point of hanging out if six kids all had Ice Climbers? You went to see the kid with the games you didn't have.

>The end of sprites killed videogames
so videogames are still alive
>b-b-but these days sprites suck
please like the nes didn't have its massive share of shitty looking, objectively bad games that were borderline bootlegs
>b-b-b-but indie sprites are different
a sprite is a sprite

Still the best Castlevania and I get legitimately angry when people disagree.

nowadays they're only half-sprites

You forgot battle toads brah

1 is meh
2 is the best
You are forgetting something important, Breath of Fire 2 re-translation where dialogue alone on another from BoF series level.
3 is overrated by Cred Forums's late-twenties
4 is 2nd best

>Name a side scrolling beat 'em up that doesn't match my analogy
Most of them? Platformers tend to rely more on memorization.

UNBELIEVABLY wrong and you damn well know it, troll.

The only acceptable answers to the "best Castlevania" question are SotN and Simon's Quest.

Rondo of blood is superior in every way possible. And then there's the metroidvanias, which are very different and cater to other tastes.

retard

That's not fair, all the handhelds were fuckhuge back then. Even the original Gameboy was massive.

NES has some great games but nearly all of them have better versions on SNES

>this Metroidvania is better than traditional Castlevania
Throw in one of the N64 Castlevanias while you're at it.

>Rondo of blood

So, original or SNES port?

The massive third and first party support, variety in genres, general quality of games and the fact that Nintendo was at their best during that time. In my opinion, SNES really was that sweet spot, it felt like vidya was basically perfected on that console.

Plus, it was a very well-made piece of hardware. Software looked and sounded great on it, even despite the slowdown.

No kidding, it was built to withstand an air raid. Which it did.

Meanwhile I look at my 3DS funny and the stick falls off.

no you didn't

>Simon's Quest

Why in the world would anyone list that as one of the best Castlevanias?

I just wish there was ANY way to replicate what the games actually looked like. You couldn't see pixles on a CRT goddamn it. Games like DKC2 almost looked like a moving painting.

>best console
>not PS2
You fucked up, Op.

>Advertising definitive of the real world.
Really, who is living in more of a delusion? That's right, (you).

The playstation 2 is a million times better.

Snes was overrated unless you loved JRPGs

Genesis had the better action games and the music sounds a lot more bassy and isn't dated low quality sample crap.

It's not just "better", it's the best. Classic Castlevanias suffered from very clunky controls and a lack of an "adventure' feel. So it's either 2 or SotN.

>>Snes was overrated unless you loved JRPGs
Ironically, you can say the same for the PS2.

Yeah, any screenshots I use of SNES games always end up looking subpar compared to looking at a game on an actual CRT.

Because it wasn't just a platformer. It added RPG elements.

PS2 had a lot of games, but most ended up being okay to decent. It wasn't that great of a console really.

>PS2
It had great games, but for every good games, there was 50 shovelware games. So, you had to shovel a lot of crap to get to the good ones.

>It added RPG elements.
Yeah. Poorly.
A better platformer with RPG elements would be Zelda 2.

>tfw I would have to buy an old TV again to really enjoy classic consoles

I tried hooking up a SNES to my current HD TV once and it was fucking awful, insane delay, it looked like shit and was just miserable all around

By rendering the game unplayable without a strategy guide. My friend had the first three games, we never played II again once we had III.

No you can't.

Playstation 2 was the universal console. It had literally the best of every single genre. Best third party support, best collection of cult classics, best collection of 3d action, best collection of 3d platforming, best RPGs, best collection of racing, you can keep going. The PS2 had almost literally everything.

If you owned a ps2 and a PC back in those prime years those were the greatest years of gaming of all time.

>Classic Castlevanias suffered from very clunky controls
>this carried over to Alucard who strikes slowly in one direction and is launched further back by hits
>but it looks prettier

The Genesis was just an arcade you could take home.

The great majority of games on the system are just games without a save system that you can complete in a few hours or so in a single run.

It killed Final Fantasy, Mega Man, Castlevania, Double Dragon, Gradius, Mystical Ninja and all these other god tier franchises you never heard about because your first console was the PS2.

The game was still shit regardless of RPG elements. Some really awful design choices were incorporated into that game.

Alien Soldier alone shits on everything snes has to offer.

Second best.

They didn't. All the best games on Snes are third party. Final Fantasy 6, Terranigma, Metal Warriors etc. It was just pretty much the only option at the time.

>It had literally the best of every single genre
>had almost literally everything
Make up your mind before you decide to blindly defend your personal favorite.

>A better platformer with RPG elements would be Zelda 2.

FF didn't die until the PS3

That was most non-RPG games during that era though, even on the snes.

Genesis just did those types of games much better. Personally I enjoy those games more because to me the "arcade" aspect of it is what gives retro games it's charm and fun. I am not big into grindy very long story driven games.

You heard me, faggot. Zelda 2 also had better combat.

The Gameboy is shit.
It's Super Game Boy, emulator or nothing.

Had great games though.

When I mean almost everything there are the few exceptions, gamecube and xbox had some good exclusives but if you actually wanted a fucking massive library of games to choose from you get a PS2.

The PS2 generations was meh at best. I was so disappointed with the shitty direction games started to take that I stopped playing new games for years at the end of the generation.

It also helped kill Contra. Not to mention bringing in a metric fuckton of casuals and turning consoles into all-purpose entertainment centers. Now it's just a race about which company can take over your living room.

That's because you're playing them on an emulator. Buying a game which was over in 1 hour back in the day was a catastrophe, you'd have to wait until your next birthday for anything new.

That's why the SNES and Gameboy succeeded. Games like DKC 3 and Gargoyle's Quest had content for months.

The best library, might as well be the best system. Keep in mind the only real competitor to snes was the Genesis (raff) , while the ps2 had to jostle against gamecube, xbox, and dreamcast with developers.

Also keep in mind that the snes was more powerful than its competitor. Ps2 had less powerful hardware than all three competitors.

Zelda 2 > Clash at Demonhead > shit > Castlevania 2 > Rambo

Smooth parallax scrolling and the stereo sound when Mario jumped in a cave level blew my mind. However, I think Amiga 500 was better for games at the time, particularly because you could get them free. Also, soon after Doom came and btfo'd consoles for several years.

Problem with Genesis was that as time went on Sega dropped support fast. This meant a lot of CD games simply didn't make it to the west and there were more meaty games like RPGs released for the system. Did you know Sega CD has a Shadowrun SRPG that gets compared to Snatcher in Japan?

It was a powerhouse at the time and Nintendo still had a relative iron grip on the industry, even when SEGA threw the gauntlet down. They had fantastic third party support, and were still iterating on their, at the time, relatively fresh first party franchises. Zelda, Kirby, and Metroid all had incredibly polished and straight up better and grander games that didn't lose sight of what made them successes on the NES to begin with, same happened with stuff like Castlevania on the side. Arcade ports were also top notch in many cases, though I think Genesis had a slight edge in that category.

This nigger is wise

Genesis had plenty of good month filling games too though, so it wasn't a completely dry console for that type of stuff.

Anyways a lot of those arcade games are so hard you will spend months trying to git gud enough to beat it in one go.

Zelda 2 was an unplayable shit heap. The only reason I ever played it was to visit the towns to go see those HP restoring women who definitely weren't prostitutes. The gameplay was phoned-in as were all the "RPG elements".
>What kind of boss do you want to fight in this """"dungeon""""?
>a horse head knight? Perhaps a bouncing horse head knight?
>No? Too bad because that's all there is.

>Zelda 2 was an unplayable shit heap
Which was better than Castlevania 2.

Except the 4 player couch experience. If you weren't playing Smash, Mario Kart and Halo: CE with your friends in the same room or the room next to yours, your childhood missed the fuck out.

Games are to mainstream for hipsters, user kun.

>calling Zelda 2 an "unplayable shit heap"
>when Castlevania 2 had equally phoned-in RPG elements, dungeons with literally nothing in them, and a boss that doesn't even try to stop you from simply advancing to the next room to end it

This. There are dozens upon dozens of Genesis games for it with back up or password support. People just like to meme a lot.

I've played a great deal of PS2 games and they aren't the religious experiencing Cred Forums made them out to be. Tried Rogue Galaxy out, Tales of Legendia, Silpheed, DMC, etc. Why do you guys hold these titles in such high regard?

I can think of a few good ones like Gradius V, the Budokais, and SOTC, but I'm not being showered with hundreds of good ones. I feel like I got tricked.

this
ps2 was the perfect console for loners
even the ps1 had more 4 player games

1. Mega Man X
2. Donkey Kong Country 2
3. Chrono Trigger
4. Yoshi's Island
5. Super Punch Out

>giving a fuck about 4 player couch experience

ew

I would rather play UT99 and counter-strike online any day of the fucking week. Playstation 2 was GOAT for sheer amount of single-player games, PC was GOAT for the multiplayer back then.

>even when sega was bleeding money out the ass they still took risks and made weird & experimental games

i miss sega bros ;_;

Developers were in a familiar environment after a few generations of 2D games so they were able to expand on existing ideas without worrying about engine problems.

Remember how the 2D to 3D transition was so awkward but the GC/PS2/Xbox generation right after that was so great? Devs were in their comfort zone without having to adapt to new gimmicks.

>I had no real friends
All you had to say, bro.

>even the ps1 had more 4 player games

Reason why I bought the multitap.

u rihgt 360 4 eva bro

So what do you do now that they stopped making co-op games 15 years ago? I haven't even talked to my player 2 in years.

You guys are trying way too hard.

PS2 ran the gamut for me. It has a lot of games that fall into all time favorite of the genre. Shit like Ace Combat 0, Silent Hill 2, Okami, Dark Cloud 2, Persona 4, Digital Devil Saga, Ratchet & Clank, Gradius V, etc.

Sometimes I have a hard time picking between it and the SNES as my favorite console.

I do too. The wrong kid died. PS2 was a piece of shit as was the Xbox. If it wasn't for the DVD player and the last great Contra, I would have sold my PS2 back then.

Superior opinion coming through
1 Super Mario rpg
2 Final Fantasy 6
3 Donkey Kong County 2
4 Super Mario All-Stars
5 Sim city

You missed out. Played hundreds of hours of Melee with bros. Being an adult now, I realize how much I miss that now. Those were some of the best years ever. No single player or online game can ever really replicate that feeling.

Not knocking single player of course. I like to sit down with a good JRPG any day, but I long for those days.

I'm sorry I wasn't a 7 year old sperg with autistic friends when Melee came out and probably became a furfag cause my parents bought me a degenerate gamecube.

Yeah it's not like I ever had PC gaming friends and would go to LAN cafes occasionally and play Diablo 2 until my fucking eyes were bleeding.

I feel bad 4 u mate.

>Not enjoying the experience of friends.
Spotted the introverted awkward kid with the tact of a piss ant that nobody liked.

No. the pc does.

>You guys are trying way too hard
Trying more than Death and Dracula did.
I don't blame them. It's like they knew they were in a shitty sequel to a good game.

That's the thing, I love SNES. It's my all-time favorite console, but for some reason I just don't feel the same way about PS2. I never could get into very many games on it.

I guess mileage does vary for some.

Seeing how shitty Conan become, yes he was right.

>there are people on Cred Forums right now who will never know what it was like to gather around a console with their other kid friends to play some mario kart, mario party, goldeneye, gran turismo, smash brothers, tekken, etc.

>I would rather play
>implying you had a choice when you had no real friends

I got into tons of PS2 games, the thing redefined my love for games.

But come the fuck on, the SNES had ten of everything. You just can't beat that.

Ironically enough you sound like you're sperging out right now. I can see the tears in your eyes as you typed that.

PS1 was specifcally built for 3D, though. That's why it beat out the Saturn. Saturn was built for 2D, that's why it was a little better for old Capcom fighters.

>Being an introvert and mainly a PC player who thinks the PS2 is the best console of all time is a bad thing

Holy fuck neo-Cred Forums is real. Go back to Cred Forums you gay fucks.

i always wondered why michael jackson prefered sega over nintendo. i wonder how he felt when sega announced they were going third party

>"Donkey Kong Country proves that players will put up with mediocre gameplay as long as the art is good.”
what did he MEAN by this?

Source:
youtu.be/xL83Ko0vYrw?t=809

>admitting you're an introvert
see this is why your "couch multi is shit" argument doesn't hold water

Because MJ was the proto-sonic fapper.

I played all those, but I never had friends.

He was frustrated because higher ups at Nintendo wanted him to make Yoshi's Island look like Donkey Kong Country.

>tfw michael jackson will never invite kid you to his house to play co-op with him

>i always wondered why michael jackson prefered sega over nintendo
Because the Genesis was smooth and black.
Then the Dreamcast was white and died.

You know nothing of Dracula lore. The hero always kills him with a stake to the heart while he's sleeping. It was staying true to the standing lore, you shit. There's never supposed to be an epic battle with him because he's not supposed to be beatable while awake due to being damn near immortal.

Yeah, it was a very special console. There's something about the quality of its games that feels magical.

>Le Zelda 2 is bad meme
ITT, people that never got past Death Mountain

>playing mario party without friends

I'm so sorry user

At least back then the game had that "adventure mode" where you took minigame challenge after challenge I guess

>Shitting on DKC gameplay
WAWAWA baka gaijin did betta geimu dan mi

>tfw many years later he pretended it was nothing, saying he always liked DKC, after the shit storm he caused due to not shutting his mouth up

Explain Death and making a big deal of Dracula's return when every fortress/castle was empty and nothing was trying to prevent someone from killing him in his sleep.

>There's never supposed to be an epic battle with him because he's not supposed to be beatable while awake
Castlevania 1 proving it's superior once again
So was 3

when nintendo has 3rd party support they're unstoppable.

Genesis, NeoGeo, fuck, even the TG16 is better than that overrated piece of shit.

you tried

>Castlevania 2 was shit because Dracula put everyone to sleep
>including the player

Nice argument, shit poster kun.

TG16 had no games. There was Bonk, Zonk... and that was it.

all that edge and you couldnt cut thru idiocy.

he's not wrong

>The Last of Us
>Star Fox Adventures
>Super Smash Bros Brawl

You know Ghouls and Ghosts was on the Mega Drive too, right?

>of all time

you nostalgia fags crack me up

>member the snes, member

>TG16

It had some good games, but no one ever talks about it.

>dat Order of the Griffon title theme
youtube.com/watch?v=2n_6FHZNolQ

>How did Nintendo do it?

They focused on gamers instead of a wider audience.
No gimmicks
A fair powerful console
3rd party support

Basically the opposite of what Wii U is

Name a better console

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS ANIME SHIT

you southpark fags crack me up

>member the meme, member

>Donkey Kong Country 2
>Chrono Trigger
>Super Mario World
>Megaman X
>A Link to the Past

>Compile

competition, if SEGA never existed i dont think the snes would have been that good of a console.

It's not the same Compile you know, even if it was formed from its dead body.

>It's not the same Compile you know,
exactly

what the fuck happened to that company over the years?

>Love them mousies

>What was it about the SNES that made it the generally agreed upon best video game console of all time?

Well, let's see:
>VERY noticeable graphical and even gameplay upgrade from prior console gen
>great controller
>10/10 1st and 3rd party support back in the era video games were just reaching their peak in quality

It's not rocket science.

Ah the Genesis. The one and only time in my entire life when I had a ""waifu"", it was given to me by a Genesis game. When I finally beat the game, I got over it and it never happened again.

>modern South Park fan unironically calling others nostalgia fags

>member all the fujoshit south park fans did
>member when the creators ever pandered to them once, even the ones in japan

The people with all the talent left to form this company.

Small company, changed with the times.

> Super Metroid
> Secret of Mana
> Secret of Evermore
> A Link to the Past
> Biker Mice from Mars

>one part of the company went to make licensed games
>other part went to making pandering kusoge

I think we're the only ones who lost here.

I prefer the PS1 library tbqhpham. SNES is better. PS2 had arguably the best launch lineup in history though.

>PS2 had arguably the best launch lineup in history though.

what? ps2 had a notoriously shitty launch lineup

>isn't dated low quality sample crap

you say that like its a bad thing rather than an aesthetic that makes the music subjectively better than genesis

PS2 had SSX and that was it for launch, from what I recall.

also its almost like both console's sound chips were flawed and sound like shit constantly

youtube.com/watch?v=EGWSijvWxFI

you still needed to be a very smart audio tech., who was also a good composer, to make good music with either hardware.

it had that and timesplitters, that was pretty much it

Do you think 16 bit games were a peak for video games because of intrinsical reasons (16bit somehow favors a certain types of simple and at the same time complex enough games) or because of external reasons (right developers, with the right gaming culture, with the right business model, etc.) ? Would it have been possible to have a similar "peak" in every generation ?

the games

PS2 was remembered and sold so much because of the shovelware it had and capable of running DVD media

>all the million Eyetoy games
>all the billion Buzz games
>all the trillion Singstar games
>rest being low-level licensed trash like that shitty Home Alone game or The Sopranos: Road to Respect (inb4 angry Cred Forumsfags)
fuck off with your "glorious" console, you and the Wii.

the "quality > quantity" concept exists for a reason, and fucking pic related almost outsold the PS2.

Nintendo's ips
Best hardware available
3rd party support
Street fighter 2 at home
The thing is Sexy

>And the SNES didn't have more of that, in your opinion?
It didn't. The NES had so many games that were genre-defining and even games that combined genres in unconventional ways. The SNES did not do that, and the games for the system were almost always safe in terms of design and genre.

>The NES had so many games that were genre-defining and even games that combined genres in unconventional ways

name 20.

SCIVbabbies in a nutshell

MD > SNES. ANyway i really loved the super famicom/snes for all the 3rd party support. Something which nintendo painfully lacks today.

>Shadow of Rome

Fuck
Yes

>what is Bloodlines
fagboi get out