REEEEEEEEEEE

Why do developers keep inflating the size of their games?

Why don't they fucking understand compression?

bigger file size =/= better game

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/v/t7wJ8pE2qKU
youtube.com/v/z1iTbYuw428
community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=4&t=122841
youtu.be/ts2am8WRBXQ?t=3m11s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Pirate deterrent.

You understand that game has 5 episodes of an HD TV show in it right?

>in it
those episodes are not in the game, it streams them, from some server, as part of botnet DRM

>70gigs
Holy shit what

Consoles use blu rays which hold 50g so devs can't be bothered to compress shit properly

Especially video files

op is pirated you noob steamcuck

i think its coz they r so isolated from reality. they spend their lives in corporate offices with 100megabit fibre connections

It's an everything deterrent.

but PC games are also inflated as fuck, even PC exclusives

Like what

DID YOU LIKE IT?

Enjoy your shit quality textures and sound.

STOP THIS MADNESS!!

>wanting losslily compressed assets

You are cancer

No one brought up lossy compression you dunce.

>2016
>not have 5TB+5 3TB pocket drives with you
LOL

It is a movie that runs entirely on engine instead of just video.

has anyone ripped CIAman's model?

>OP is pirated
Thats the point it deters pirates.

I ripped your mums cunt

uncompressed audio takes up a lot of space

>what is lossless compression

It is the oposite. It has HDR 60fps videos as cutscenes, then between it there are the pre-rendered ones that also are videos. The game basicaly is a FULL HD Season of a 13 episodes series in x265.

When you've got a double-layered BD on your hand you've got no reason to hold back.

>Want to play One Piece Burning Blood
>Know that shit isnt worth my money
>Too scared and stupid to pirate it
>Never pirated a game before

It's the best piracy prevention out there. You make new DRM and people are going to fall all over themselves to crack it, but no one is really pushing hard for repacks of 80 gig folders.

People are going to download the game regadless of repacks.

That's fucking dumb, even as a non pirate, I don't wanna have to allocate 70 GB for a single game, even if I have 2 TB of storage.

>It's the best piracy prevention out there
>being this dumb
you know pirates have the most and biggest HDD's, right?

Storage is pretty cheap, go buy yourself a proper HDD and an ssd.

That's only half the problem retard

>t. cuck

that;s what you're getting with smaller file sizes retard.

No it's not.

If the uploader is legit, then yes.

>tfw 4mbs connexion

Bigger file size = harder to pirate.

fucking doom and witcher 3

pirate here. i would not download a 60gb game unless its 9/10

its a matter of principle

mankind divided is not worth keeping coz it takes up 70gigs 4 example and its a shit

Helloooooooo 2007.

>harder
Harder isn't synonymous with longer. Nothing is stopping me from pirating a 100gb game, it would just take a little longer than usual.

Is this what corporates legitimately believe? Because that's stupid, if anything it just means people with data caps will not buy their shit, while pirates just have to wait for a bit longer.

This is why physical media still has value
We need some sort of high speed storage carts or something and they need to be mainstream...fuck digital distribution...that shit fills your hard drive before you know it

not Brazilians.

Aren't SD cards already faster and cheaper than CDs / DVDs / Blu-rays?

Nope, that was only for Windows Store version.
Steam version runs on Win7 and has the movies built-in.

Helloooooooo majority of the world. A quick google will tell you how fucked America's net system is.

Dear lord and I thought FFXIII was bad.

I didn't know America was the majority of the world.

fuck off idiot

Well depending on your bandwidth limitations it could be prohibitive

If you have bandwidth limitations, I think piracy is the least of your worries.

They are but they're still more expensive which is the main problem..and they're still not fast enough(though they are faster than Bluray)

I dream of a world where we'll be able to load physical games on PC without having to install them

>I wish games had higher quality textures, models and musics!

Pirate here, I have a total of about 2 TB of space, not too big.
But yea, I'm downloading QB as we speak, just so I can see how shit it is.

By that I mean data caps

Discs cost basically nothing to make, so even though you can get 100gig SD cards for dick all nowadays the publishers wont switch over.

pirate here, have 3 TB HDD + 256 SSD. Waiting for after-christmas for 1 TB SSD

I know.

The Monkey's Paw actually gives you what you wished for though.

As someone with shit internet any game above 20gig is a deterrent from me buying the game.

And it did user, but it never had to be good.

>Pirate uses the money he saves not buying games to buy better internet
>Downloads massive games quickly and without much issue

Meanwhile
>Person who buys games is stuck with shitty internet
>Has to wait thirty moons to download the game
>Has to wait another thirty moons for it to update

If anything, it punishes the person who's buying the game more than the pirate. If you're gonna punish pirates do shit like they did in Game Dev Tycoon or Serious Sam where they make the game next to impossible to win if you pirate it.

It depends on the game really. XCOM 2 is fucking 45gb, Tital Warhammer is 35gb, Bombshell is 20gb. Butthat's not really comparable to the the size of modern console games. And then there are also some games with nice graphics that are pretty small. Cradle and Unloved are UE4 but only 3 gb. Compression really does make all the difference.

Nips can't into compression.

Don't forget to buy some 6 terabyte hard drives that just hit the market so you can download all the games you love!

Apparently nobody can now.

>the original Super Mario Bros. is 40KBs in size
The triple A industry was a mistake.

This, I almost didn't buy DOOM because it was so big. Took me like two or three days to download. I'm hoping Dishonored 2 isn't too big, I really want to play it day 1.

Blame audiophiles

they complained that their 900 dollar headphones made the compressed audio sound bad so devs stopped compressing audio at all. About 40 gigs of the average 60 gig game is foreign language audio files. Most pirate repacks barely even compress audio, they just get rid of the 50 languages that are needlessly included in English markets.

>buy an SSD so I don't have to deal with loading screens
>can only fit like 3 games at a time on it

>Halo 5 Forge
>F2P forge mode, just multiplayer maps, no single-player cutscenes or anything
>37gb

well it's not like you can't hold your ADD impulses and pick between 3 games to finish at least one to free up space for the others
>whoa just finished the tutorial this game looks so cool WELP DROPPED CANT WAIT TO SEE THE NEXT ONE

Witcher 3 is only like 25gb senpai and the size is understandable

I just wish they could make HD audio a DLC, like the HD pack for Half-Life. Then us sane people can have a 5 GB game and audiophiles can have a 50 GB version.

A few games to play online with friends and one or two to play singleplayer. It still takes up a lot of space.

Gee, that sure is a lot of projecting you're doing right here, bud.

there's lossless HD audio compression, but they don't bother because faggots think bigger game size = better game

So what;'s your suggestion to this problem then. It's completely true texture sizes have increased though audio also makes up a large part of it.

Nowadays no one can, is a lost art.

Most types of anti-piracy measures have fucked more the actual customers than the pirates. Either the DRM doesn't work preventing getting into the game vs not having DRM on the pirate copy; there being some sort of online conformation to play but servers are down vs not even needing internet connection to play.
I think it was Cities Skyline that did an interesting approach. They updated the game with new content on a regular basis which made pirates tired of every week or so having to go to the trouble of bypassing whatever security the game has. The fucking with the pirate is fun but it's usually quickly patched out.
Or actual customers wanting the Alan Wake eye-patch or trying to complete the game with Serious Sam's scorpion following them around.

what the fuck does top tier quality audio has to do with foreign launguages?
are you saying audiophiles' main concern is over playing a game dozens of times to experience each language, instead of, you know, enjoying high quality sound in the overall game including sfx and soundtrack? voice acting can still be shitty in pristine bitrate

why is it only naughty dog can do hair right?

pic related is game maxed out at 2560x1440

>get physical copy of GTA V for my PS4
>still have to waste 65GB of 500GB hard drive space to install it on there
Thanks for cheaping out on me Sony

that's too save on loading times. HDD is way faster than any disc

>it's anita sarkeesian protesting some stupid shit

care to explain how a person absolutely needs to have a dozen games immediately ready at his disposal despite being able to play only one at a time?
having a couple others to play with friends is arguable, but if your intent was to have a gorillion things always installed and ready might as well buy a regular 2TB drive instead of an SSD

Honestly, like their games or not, Naughty Dog are absolute wizards when it comes to making the most out of the hardware they work on.

Shame that it still takes fucking forever to load up GTA V singleplayer and online anyways

I'd still hit it though

people would probably pirate it out of spite.

Why would they do doing HDR video on PC? The amount of HDR capable OLED monitors on the market to properly display it are countable on 1 hand and the buyers are even less.

It didn't deter him from downloading it.

It didn't deter anything.

He complained and installed it for free anyway. I want you to sit there and get mad over this.

>there's lossless HD audio compression, but they don't bother because faggots think bigger game size = better game

They don't "bother" with them because they are locked up with patents and expensive to license, not to mention a lot more computationally expensive to process at run time.

>literally no ass
nvm, I take my words back

>what is FLAC
stop talking out of your ass

Jesus, I have more ass than her.

Then it'll get even worse next gen. The changes to the tracking pitch used for new 4K blurays allow up to 100GB per disk.

The sad fucking truth is that marketing departments found out that customers like bigger numbers

Devs not bothering with compression is literally a marketing trick to make consumers think the game is better than the competition because its size is bigger

Is this western Lightning?

a deterrent does not make it impossible, it makes it implausible, unattractive, and judging from his attitude OP is loathe to DL big games, so it works.

wow his hair looks like shit. did they even fucking try?

What do you guys think will be the first 100GB Base game?

no she's not skinny enough

>It's the best piracy prevention out there.
>buy game
>it's still 70 gigs
?????

>coz they r

fuck off back to Cred Forums underage cancer tumor.
reported.

Probably GTA7

>BIG GUY intensifies

Halo 6

Doom 5

Something is wrong with CIA's face

>pirate game
>game comes as iso
>dlc in a zip file and all has to be installed manually
Fuck this. It's the current year. I don't want to have to manually install a game. I don't mind waiting a few extra minutes to download the larger file if it means i don't have to do shit like this

the environment art is pretty though

Quite the opposite - pirates have been crunching games since before you were born, to the point where several pirate groups wrote their own packers, so they could fit games from multiple floppies onto one, or exotic formats into standard ones, or even more than one game on a disk, or use a fastload, or maybe even just dump their cracktro on the beginning.

They don't usually bother anymore. Standards have fallen a long, long way in the past decade or so.

You mean, it takes the couriers a whole 15 seconds? Wow.

Groups don't really care about you downloading it.

>the environment art is pretty though

Yeah, dude, waiting that extra time it sure makes me buy a 60 dollar shitty game. Totally harder.

I fucking hate his face. why did they pick this faggot actor?

33 gb is the compressed goty version. 65 gb is the original.

Well if not him you probably would have gotten Troy Baker again, be thankful user.

Jesus what game?

is that fucking brian limmond

All granted wishes come with consequences, with or without the paw.

>Troy Baker
he has never played himself in a game as far as I know. I'd rather have pic related

>super mario bros. was a good game

>game runs at 25fps on low
>game runs at 25fps on ultra

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand dropped

why does CIA pose like a fucking T-Rex in this game?

is it because T-Rex is a big guy?

>Too scared to pirate a game about pirates

doesn't infamous: second son have his face?

Wasn't Delson kinda modeled after Troy?

>CIA keeps touching my ass
SEND HELP

yeah but only kinda. never literally made in the game as himself like in this game

That happens in some games because if you put settings on low, it assumes you have a shit GPU so it puts all the resources onto your CPU. That's why in some games you actually get the same or WORSE performance by lowering settings if you have a good GPU..

>it's literally a monkey-man
does this game have something against good looking people?

why is the graphics so glitchy? fucking piece of shit

This is always the biggest bullshit argument
>Retail download
>20GB
>day 1 repack
>10GB
Looking at you MGR with uncompressed 720p AVI cutscenes

Holy shit this man. If you look at actual files, game is only 3.9GB. 24GB of just cutscenes.

>They don't usually bother anymore
There are countless repacks for every game though. Some shave more than 50% of it

>3.9GB
What the actual fuck, would it kill them to have the cutscenes in real time on PC? It's not like it isn't in-engine footage ran through Adobe.

This is all due to the textures in the games. Compressed textures look like shit, apparently.

I have a shit internet connection. It took me 2 fucking days constant downloading to install Doom 2016. We need hard copies back, fuck this shit.

>65 gb is the original.

what the fuck are you talking about lmao?
it's nowhere near 65

So....this...is the power of the PC Master race....wow

I'm still going to have to wait the same time for the download regardless of whether I'm paying for it or not

go and check from steam retard

>compression
You don't understand decompression. Compressed assets need to be decompressed before any kind of operation, which takes processing and memory that could be used for something else. That decompression overhead grows with the size of assets, so larger games want to avoid compression to load assets faster.

>bigger file size =/= better game
Better textures and sounds == better game
Better textures and sounds == bigger file size
Oh shit nigger.

That's pretty easy to explain.

When making a game for consoles (and pre-broadband PCs) you have a size/weight budget, which is the amount of data you can fit on the shipping medium. CD is 0.7GB, DVD is 5GB, Bluray is 50GB. Game assets should fit within that limit - although "day one" patches allow some excess.

What if you're under the limit? The goal of making a game is having something exciting and entertaining, so you look for ways to turn that excess storage size into excitement. Using MGR as an example, compare in-game textures to cutscenes, and you'll find the cutscenes look better. Not just textures: animations, effects, distance draw - everything is better.

By having cutscenes pre-rendered, they can use up that excess storage space to provide better looking cutscenes. That space wouldn't have been used for anything else, so everyone wins.

How do we stop this?

Do you know how to read?

no retard, it's uncompressed audio and cutscenes mostly

By asking Overkill to stop releasing 3GB DLCs every fucking week.

>not having a petabyte server
Neo-Cred Forums really cracks me up with their gaming laptops and their league of legends

Comparing Just Cause 2 full game with PayDay 2 DLC isn't fair.

damn it, it's safe if it doesn't fully load right?

You mean sales deterrent? It's the same filesize for people who buy the game numbnuts

>Storage: 35 GB available space

?

Obligatory reply for having stars in your name.

_No

delete this

It's a 'people playing your fucking game' deterrent

>Better textures and sounds == better game

Time to burn this computer now.

>can stop time
>can't feel up some girls or sumpthin
tss what a piece of shit

>mfw I have the same internet speed since 2005
>mfw people don't believe I'm telling the truth when I tell them about it
>mfw downloading DOOM right now at a peak speed of 300Kbps

HAHAHAH
>mfw torrent at 18MB/sec

>fall for the physical meme
>install game
>20gb patch

what is this

>muh superior graphics frame rate
You guys wanted this. This is what you get.

>now I have encoded cp on my pc
NSA PLEASE DON'T VAN ME! MODS HELP!

Sure hope you don't use any cloud services or online banking.

Because they learned from SE that its not necessarily a bad thing. Doesn't require as much processing to uncompress things.

How is the optimization?

>a fiber connection going as slow as 100 megabit
Niggah what? That's like a mid tier cable connection

Now my HDD is full, thanks asshole

It's more true than you'd want to admit.

FF7 music was from MIDI, so there's no way to improve it, right? As it turns out, Uematsu composed the music with Yamaha XG MIDI in mind, but the PS1 PSU didn't have access to the XG instrument set. As a result, FF7's music was made compromises to fit within the PS1's non-XG capabilities.

One Winged Angel
PS1: youtube.com/v/t7wJ8pE2qKU
XG: youtube.com/v/z1iTbYuw428

That's a hefty improvement.

bought the fastest 980Ti for about €1000 in February

@2560x1440 runs about 45fps (indoors)
6 core CPU with 64GB ram

DELETE THIS

>Tried out Overwatch when the free weekend was happening
>Checked out the main game's page
>20GB minimum for the fucking save file
What the fuck are they keeping in that thing? That's insane.

Blame bluray for being DRM-riddled garbage. It's ridiculous how cucked Sony is by Hollywood. Floppies and CD's became popular because of how open they were, hell CD's became standard because of Microsoft lobbying for it, otherwise it would have died like digital tape. DVDs were meh but a decent compromise. Still too many limitations but passable. Blurays are shit though, almost completely locked down and overpriced. Bluray drives for PC are still like $50, no wonder PC moved to digital media. 4k blurays are even worse with DRM, hell, rumor is some 4k TV's aren't even capable of playing 4k blurays. 4k bluray drives don't even exist yet. I'm glad Displayport is slowly winning against HDMI though, but still, Hollywood and TV has way too much power over physical media.

tempolar aa mnoise
naughty dog does the hair exactly same way but uses a different aa solution

you have to compromise on something, they did on hair, naughty dog on unique textures and texture shading and lack of any real screen space reflections anywhere and a much simpler gi solution

it's not just the AA you dunce, can you not see the fucked up color and shading?

>repack
yeah
and repacks remove half the content, high res textures and recompress the audio and video to shit
there is no magic boy, unless the installation file wasnt compressed much to begin with due to one reason or another additional compression methods will do shit all

Fuck off and die.

alright, after the first fucking act, I'm already done with this boring fucking game.

such a shame, because the shooting feels good, even though it's only 50seconds per fucking act.

it takes money to optimize

>no single player cutscenes
they look like they're real-time in-engine stuff so they probably don't take up that much space, that said, keep in mind the full game of H5 is around 60-70GB, so 37GB isn't that bad

color has to do with nothing you fucking clown, you can set saturation or color correction in post any way you want, you wont find a modern engine that dosnt used deferred rendering
and by modern i mean made in last 10 years

and stop posing motion blur pics, it obviously a fast moving hand and per object motion blur looks great in, you guessed it, motion

>20GB save file
>of an online game

>buy physical
>entire game installs anyway

It doesn't install those though - it streams them.

The install size is WITHOUT the videos.

From what I gather the Pirate releases tend to actually be smaller.

Blame developers for being lazy fucks who can't be bothered to compress files because that's extra work.

I imagine it's also because of 30 fucking languages all contained in bloated, uncompressed FLAC shit audio doesn't help

crysis 3 is 14 gigabytes and still has superior everything compared to everything

>20GB for save file
I'm calling bullshit, I have the game and the PTR installed and it clocks in under 20GB total for both

So what are some good games with small file sizes, then?

The model for the original protagonist was so much better.

look at the patches of hair on his fucking head having extremely different colors and also the shading is almost nonexistent. Naughty dog writes custom shaders for almost everything.

SSDs have a read/write speed 65 times faster than a DVD. That means your loading times would be 65 times longer. You really want to read off the disc for everything?

Terraria.

Several issues - I4m thinking the Steam automated update process plays some part in the issue.

Though I wouldn't put it all on it.

Partial install
Worked for ps3

Cave story is 4.3 MB

>almost entirety of game's filesize is textures
Carmack needs to be sent to a fucking home

>Carmack needs to be sent to a fucking home
does working for facebook count?

If you know how huge pre made cut scenes and audio is, 70 GB is nothing

If you take for example Fraps. Make a 4k 60 fps capture and you will see that 70 GB are like 3 mins without compression.

>HURR UNCOMPRESSED VIDEO IS HUGE SO IT'S OKAY
there's ZERO reason for any fucking retard to use uncompressed video

People saying it's the best piracy prevention know nothing really.

If anything, as most of the time, piracy being a service issue, it's created new reasons for piracy.

People now make special, smaller repacked versions. Which a cool service for people with limited or slow bandwidth.

its supposed to by died hair, your point?
And if you mean there is no visible specular highlights then as i said they were removed in the post aa process, you can clearly see some blurred indication of it on the right where the every few frames sampling they use didnt exactly remove it fully
>Naughty dog writes custom shaders for almost everything.
the fuck doe this even mean? and other devs pull their solution out of the "Game Dev Bible"?

tech wise, Quantum Break is years ahead of uncharted 4, uncharted has to use a lot of prehashed particle simulation, simple shadow maps to fake gi, instancing up the ass, and multilayered uvs to make textures look non shit, not to mention it lack any real PBR solution
almost all dead end tech solutions that they will have to remake for their next game

meantime QB solutions and sigraph presentations will be used by other devs in games that will come next

ut you one of those guys who think hl2 revolutionized vidya graphics in the same year doom3 came out, a game that would set the standard for material shading in every engine for every game to come

For fuck sake. I do I delete the cp now?

it's probably for replays or something

>its supposed to by died hair, your point?
that's not how dyed hair looks. stop white knighting for a shitty artist.

The best looking shit in the game is the environment (architecture and interior)

>REEEEEEEEEEE
gb2reddit

the fade at the back is shit, though
i can see the blocks of hair
still better than most, though

If HL2 2 vs Doom3 did one thing right, it's prove that a solid artistic direction matters a lot more than raw technical prowess in the end.

no, its that monster closets are an old idea and FPS games are more fun with a sprint button

no game breaking into new tech will ever look as good as the best use of last one
same art direction done with better visuals looks amazing in doom 4

also no joke, hl2 uses actual photos as textures, obviously it will look more realistic than hand made textures n software from 2003

You say it like you don't need to download it if you buy it.

out of my entire comment you focus on the style of hair they went for?
you for real mate?
and yes its how dyed hair looks like, only obviously it has much more strands that what you can do in real time

>no game breaking into new tech will ever look as good as the best use of last one
>solid artistic direction matters a lot more than raw technical prowess in the end

The two propositions aren't mutually exclusive.

Hell, Ryse was literally designed for console, looks better than almost every other game out even today, and it's only 26GB.

>the only difference is the AA
fuck off

community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=4&t=122841

>The two propositions aren't mutually exclusive.
tell that to any game from 30 years ago
you are alawys limited by the tech even if we really made huge leaps in processing power in last years so more potential ideas are fully open to use, we still are way away from anybody having any chance at creating photorealistic human characters lets say, or any liquid and particle simulations or games that look like hand drawn animations,, since good luck with complex post processing shading in real time

if this had anything to do with marketing they would be advertising the size of the game everywhere.

you know, like they used to. millennial.

I guess you weren't here when a game came out and newfags began bashing it because
>it's only 4 GB
>I wan't my money back

and what you trying to prove here exactly?
since in those pics i see the exact same solution of using alpha transparency maps on flat polies
uncharted cinematic models have way more crammed in than the gameplay ones while QB uses the same models for cinematic and gameplay

also since you are too stupid to even read what you post, those are not in engine shoots
those are insanely high res down samples into 4k which literally is said in the artstation artist profile post

any game can produce bullshots you, you stupid or what?

only console fucktard faggot niggers complain about file size

>using alpha transparency maps on flat polies
there's more to shaders than that, you idiot.
>t. video game artist

Skyrim?

I've seen PCucks do it just as much

newfags are cancer, no matter what they use

>tell that to any game from 30 years ago

Show me a game from 30 years whose artistic direction could impact the game as much as the technical limitations could impact the artistic direction.

For artistic direction to have an impact on the game, it needs to be able to have an impact on the game. As tautological as it sounds. So yeah, you hit a fringe case.

But going just 20-25 years,? I'm thinking some of those have aged gracefully. And those are the ones that had solid artistic direction.

U4 runs everything in-engine

>implying lossless compression for video and audio drecases the file size by more then like 5%

>4k blurays go up to 100gb
Wew lad, good thing PS4 Pro didn't adopt this or games would literally be 200gb by the end of this gen.

Nope, there are a couple of pre-rendered cutscenes in it. You can tell because when you bring up the photo mode you can't actually do anything in those cutscenes.

I know No Man's Sky is a meme now but I don't understand why people were complaining about "lol only 5gb."

>just compress le sound!!

Or, you know, people that leave in places with shitty internet connections.

It's not as if those file sizes couldn't often be optimized for download. Compare a Steam patch download with a strict GOG equivalent.

(And no, the point isn't to turn the conversation into a Valve vs GOG thing, but the process *is* ifferent, and each has different priorities)

>all games are the same

because people are dumb and don't know shit.

procedures are math, so you don't have to save the entire model to disk, just the math. meaning you can have a lot of content, for a tiny size

only a few games use megamemetextures

Thats still 10GB to shave off. You could easily get 20% of the file size off with a 50% compression on the audio.
Also,
>36GB of textures
What terrible game is this?

what shaders, its the same spec, normal, albed, transparency shit every game uses
even the idea of splines and basic tessellation for hair isnt anything new ( which ironically was mentioned at their siggraph talk, but im sure they are full of shit and it didnt make it into the final game, its static geo)

almost everything to do with good looking hair is about the render resolution so you actually make the individual strands stand out and not blur into this ugly mess or have the texture shading so low that it produces those fuck awful blocky hair from lets say unreal 3 engine games
to do it you need a good aa solution, and uncharted 4 has real good one, you can render only teh hair at double resolution by super sampling only those pixels that have hair in them, or you can just ope for best in post screen space based aa

im not saying uncharted 4 hair looks bad, i really like their texture based ss, only few games so far did this since its very performance expensive and i think its well worth the hit and it should be the new standard for doing hair, but tech wise its nothing new

but going all the way back to the begging of this discussion, QB hair looks weird due to their crappy console aa solution, we have just to accept the ps4 is 50% faster than xbox one and allows them to do just more

>a game is terrible for having high quality textures

Cred Forums - luddites

go be triggered elsewhere.
> its the same spec, normal, albed, transparency shit every game uses
HAHAHAHAH, you're wrong.

>textures = shaders
wow..

that fucking left eye, poor bill willson he had a hard life

30 GB does not mean high quality, it just means there's a fuckton of them in large sizes

nope

It's also a problem on console. It's so bad you can basically only have 10 AAA games + updates/DLC/expansions on a standard 500GB PS4 before running out of space. I remember when 30GB for Max Payne 3 was a big deal, now that's half of the standard.

I don't know how UWP works but the biggest file in Quantum Break is this, does anyone know what this is?

>one eye on himself
>one eye on the camera
a true pro

Some games go full retard and have shit like the audio files for every language no matter what region it's being sold in. If the game has prerendered cutscenes that compounds the problem since then they need a separate video file for every language too.

a custom container full of other files so that people can't easily edit the game(mod it)

Probably a zip file or similar with all the assets in. Most engines do stuff like that.

>36GB of uncompressed bitmaps
>for a probable 5-10 hour game
>a true sign of a quality game
If you know what you're doing you never have to go above 3GB

>What terrible game is this?
RAGE, Wolfenstein, DOOM, and all other upcoming id games.

Why do they do this? What purpose does hiding these files have?

So no one in the entire game industry knows what they're doing but this anonymous poster on a Taiwanese cockfighting image board does?

I literally just fucking told you.

youtu.be/ts2am8WRBXQ?t=3m11s
yes

If I shave that off, will you die?

In DOOM they set up a virtual file system so instead of having to use relative addresses to find files they can specify them as if they were at a specific place on the hard drive at all times. I guess it makes development easier. And it has the added benefit of making it harder to rip models and stuff from the game.

Oh, they're aware they're retarded. But would you like to try and say no to John "George Lucas of video games" Carmack?

compare this to the remake for just few years later
attempting realism back then was pointless
and then compare against alone in dark 1 from just 4 years earlier that looks like a complete joke even by re 1 standards

I have third world quality internet in Small town, USA. Fuck developers that do this. I either have to buy physical or nothing.

MEGATEXTURES

its like talking with a retard who when cornered completely ignores everything and replies to himself
i know its Cred Forums, but have some self respect mate

In software development and computer science, you can trade off processing power for data storage, and vice versa. It has nothing to do with trends

>I either have to buy physical or nothing.
It won't matter because the discs are now just keys to download the game

>have to address every single nonsensical point some sperg makes on Cred Forums despite not knowing shit about what he's talking about
no thanks

id could have done away with megatextures after RAGE. There are more Crytek people at id than "old guard" id people after Carmack left and took his clique with him. The only reason megatextures didn't work in RAGE was that hardware support for it didn't even exist at the time, it was created and added to OpenGL after the release of RAGE. And John Carmack doesn't decide what any studio does, yet every other studio seems to throw in at least 15GB of textures in their games too. 3 GB is not even near sufficient for a 2016 game of the quality people expect today.

>70 gygo-byte's

>DOOM not only doesn't have official modding tools but actively encodes things to make it impossible to mod while locking the .exe behind anti-tamper DRM
Jesus Carmack must crying in between playing Minecraft VR.

This
>bought disk for DOOM
installed 3GB of the 55 required to play

At least last year TW3 was all on the disk and playable without as much as a day-one patch. And I've still got my good ol' console games.

lies

>first DOOM
>easy modding was primary factor in its success
>new DOOM
>no modding allowed
Every time a franchise rises from the grave they do this

>buy physical disc
>disc only contains the web installer

>Pirate Fable III but get Securom installed
>People who actually bought this game had also Securom installed and practically fucked up with their games because they couldn't play it thanks to securom not handing out enough keys
DRM is cancer, as a pirate i don't care that much but i feel bad for the poor guy who gets fucked and pays for it.

And again, that doesn't make the two propositions mutually exclusive.

>compromises
It was literally actual music files instead of MIDIs, there wouldn't have needed to be limitations. You even proved it by posting the PS1 version with singing in it; it couldn't have been MIDI. You must be thinking of the PC version.

Found this nigga literally at the start
FORESHADOWING

me2, not very special

>It was literally actual music files
There's a soundfont for choir, lb2.sf2. Which is loaded for One Winged Angel.

>the PS1 version with singing in it
Both PC and PS1 had choir.

Have you tried to play on actual Ultra instead of posting screenshots on medium?
kek

at least you are decent at shitposting

running the game maxed on ultra.
>make shit up to white knight a shit game

Sure you are retard.
On ULtra is looks nowhere like that fag

Just get a 4TB drive,
are you fucking POOR??

>Doom
>Over 60GB
>Aquire repack selectively opting out of MP and Snapmap content because I don't want them only want SP
>less than 30GB

Pirates win again

yes

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING GAMING ON THE PC THEN SON????

ARE YOU AN ACTUAL RETARD????????????

Two months ago you guys were shitting on No Man's sky for not being 50 gigs. Make up your mind

It wouldn't be a deterrent for pirates, just for people with bad internet. Whether they are legal oowners or not.

Why are you so mad?

you do such a dishonor to Luffy by being afraid to do stupid ideas that might work.

>want to game on pc
>can't afford a hard disk
>cry that pc gaming is retarded because games are 'too big'

get off your lazy ass and get a fucking job

>Two months ago you guys were shitting on No Man's sky for not being 50 gigs. Make up your mind
>everyone is one person
Also when you promise an expansive, near infinite world with hundreds of hours of content, you better not have a 5GB game

>he fell for the SSD meme
haha it'll be great in 10 or 15 years when it's not 100x more expensive per GB than HDD

Kirby

see

lossless compression

see
Audio is likely already losslessly compressed, and even if it's not doing so will only shave off a gb or 2 at most

For video (if the game has prerendered cutscenes), they are already losslily compressed, and they have to be, because uncompressed or losslessly compressed video is fucking gargantuan

>losslily
the cutscenes are not available offline. they are streamed from the internet

I don't mean that game in particular, I mean in general

Graphics you dipshit.

Stop being poor you fucking retard. HDD space is cheap as fuck you autistic cunt.

lmao no, at this point I rather wait for FitGirls repacks than even buy the game and deal with a such a shitty bloated filesize

Not having 4 storage drives and 2 sold states for booting and storing software.

>an entire drive of merely 90GB
>an entire drive of merely 120GB
the past called, they want their computer back

What are sold state drives? Also my root drive has a 40 gb partition that I'm going to install Linux on eventually.

>What are sold state drives?
they're cheap. it's 2016. no fucking excuse for those.

are you really so stupid as to think a STREAMED video is going to be lossless? tell us just how fucking retarded you are user.

I don't need any bigger, why waste the money? They are both Samsung 840 pros, They were pricey when I bought them. I'll grab new sold states when I can get a tb for under 200$.

no retard, I'm the one saying the file size is not the cutscenes, since they're fucking online, so they don't count in the total game size.
>being this stupid

>posts trying to boast with his shitty drive setup
>I-I don't n-need more, w-why waste money?

Let's see your setup. I want to see how much money you wasted on needlessly large SSDs.

>needlessly
I need speed because my time is worth more than what SSDs go for today

>unironically replying to pleb-tier troll
I don't think Cred Forums is a place for you

What do you need to load fast that can possibly take more then 240 gb? My Os and games are all on SSDs.

Usually when someone calls me out on having shitty hardware I like to see what they have. I doubt he has shit though.

I do more than just play games on my computer

>Usually when someone calls me out on having shitty hardware I like to see what they have. I doubt he has shit though.

Are you actually retarded?
He can just make shit up it takes zero effert
Not like you can validate authenticity of his claims

Fucking newfags

I still haven't bought Doom because of this. It's retarded that the physical copy only installed like 8GB of the data, and then you have to download the rest anyways.

And that was in 2015. With the quality of shit in that game, you're going to want a separate HDD dedicated to it.

the reply train was about the rate of lossy vs lossless compression, not about whether the files were in the package or not. you even quoted a compression type even though that wasn't relevant to the point you were supposedly making.
>being this stupid

I don't, so why waste money on bigger SSDs?

Been here longer than you fag.

don't come boasting to poorfags when you yourself are a poorfag

Client is 100GB actual game is 2.6GB

It started with the brief HD-DVD vs Blu-ray 'format war', where both sides encouraged/demanded developers to use the full disc space. A lot of the stupid tricks they used to accomplish this ended up just becoming the new standards, particularly the use of uncompressed audio. A lot of games in the 360/PS3 generation also made a bizarre return to pre-rendered FMVs for cinematics, rendered out at absurd resolutions. I'd assume Quantum Break has a lot of that.

Dude we're already moving to m.2/PCI-e SSDs, SATA SSDs are like the default now. In 5 years SATA drives won't even be necessary outside of servers.

Yeah, Quantum Break is stuffed full of an entire season of TV in 1080p. The Windows Store version is unfortunately unwatchable for me, you stream it in 4k. Uh, yeah, I can't fucking stream 4k video with my internet, but thanks Remedy.

The first real AAA VR game. Absurdly high texture resolutions are going to be common for tech gobbledygook reasons, and photogrammetry-based graphics (which use absurd amounts of space) are practically guaranteed to feature heavily in all future big-budget VR. We're also slowly but surely working our way to realtime HD-voxel rendering, which will demand such high amounts of high-speed storage that games will either have to start leaning much more heavily on runtime-generated content or else see a rebirth of actual physical sales where the physical medium is a real notable part the final purchase price (as with some old console cartridges).

a good candidate, if it ever actually comes out.

Data caps are unfortunately the future. ISPs no longer have to compete in that field and will be given incentives not to.
This will kill Netflix and damage Steam as well, since going 20 gigs over your cap will cost you $30.

>Bought Doom since I heard it was good and it's half price
>54gb
>It's been downloading for over 24 hours now

This is bullshit.

I honestly think data caps should be illegal. Yeah, if you're running a websute or a server or something special like that you should pay more, but as a consumer unlimited data just makes sense. Physical media is dying outside of cinephiles who still want bluray discs, we should be encouraging cheaper downloads and higher internet speeds so we can move towards 100% digital.

rest assured it is good

What's this meme around donut araki?