What is morrowind combat like?

what is morrowind combat like?

Like this but 10 times worse

Don't go full melee. Magic gives you the tools to fuck around with the world and enemies. Melee consists of spamming lmb.

Uhh

miss miss miss miss miss miss miss hit miss miss miss miss miss miss miss hit miss miss miss miss miss miss miss hit miss miss miss miss miss miss miss hit miss miss miss miss miss miss miss hit miss miss miss miss miss miss miss hit miss miss miss miss miss miss miss hit
And theres really not much more to it than mashing lmb like a retard to reduce the amount of time you waste missing by gaining more skill

What if in 15 years of PC gaming i never played anything magic related

Id call you a lyin bitch

Not my experience, but there's plenty of character build guides out there if you're struggling.

Bad enough to make Oblivion's seem very good by comparison.

It's an RPG.
If you are looking for good combat, you'd better look elsewhere.

man thats really pathetic for 2002. I dont know how you people can stomach it. I understand it can be immersive but the gameplay is just ugh. Wouldve been fine as a isometric turn based RPG

I think that generally melee combat in rpgs is balls, so I tend to roll with mages for some slight strategy with your spells.

Side rant, it's the main reason I dislike Skyrim. If they gutted the magic system/general rpg mechanics in order to focus on making the melee combat better I'd be alright with it. But no, the magic selection is shit and the melee has been elevated to shit.

it's like throwing a dice in the toilet, then check for the result.

its terrible, but forgivable

how about combat that isn't absolute dogshit

If you're underage you won't like it

It's like a 90 year old without muscles flailing a stick.

the dice roll system is hit and miss

mostly miss though

Okay then, how should a first time player build a mage?

Breton + atronach sign.

Uninstall and play Witcher 3.

Fuck off carlos.

Recently decided to give Morrowind another go after years of deciding it's shit.

It's still shit.

mfw combat mods make it ridiculously easy instead

Like wanking your dick but missing each time

kek. Never happened when I was using a weapon I had points in.
It's shit in that certain enemies like the rats and mudcrabs should always be hit so you can level up your low skills, but not usually so bad that you miss like the faggot I replied to.

>Witcher 3.
eww no

To me it feels just like fighting in real life.
That's probably true to most of you aswell.

especially when you consider some of the games that came around that time, morrowind is hilariously bad

>start with Summon ancestral ghost and Fire bite
>buy Soultrap from Balmora mages guild
>buy common soul gems from Fadase Selvayn in Tel Branora
>summon the ghost, soultrap it
>sell for massive profit to Creeper in Caldera
>get infinite money
and go from there

Not even close. In real life you'll hit most enemies, but do shit damage and go down in a hit or two.

combat sucks
magic sucks

okay I'll play a thief
oh wait...

>but not usually so bad
That's bullshit and a half and you know it.

You miss the low-level enemies, you miss the high-level enemies, low-level enemies miss YOU, high-level enemies miss YOU as well.

To make use of your point, high-level enemeies should be hitting you more often and hitting you real hard. Instead when they DO hit it inflicts like 5 points of damage when they are unarmed.

Oh and the fact that points in weapon mastery doesn't impact damage is extra bullshit.

Morrowindfags are the worst kind of gamer.

>not duping ampoules pods and violet coprinus at the caldera mages guild alchemist
>not stealing his unguarded master alchemy set from upstairs
>not making infinite potions of water walking to sell to creeper

Your method is inferior.

FUCKING STOP IT
DELETE THIS RIGHT NOW
MORROWIND WAS THE BEST GAME IN THE SERIES
Cred Forums AND REDDIT TOLD ME SO

>best game in the series
>when elder scrolls is shit anyway

lel, those potions sell for like 35 each, I can get 4k for one gem

>That's bullshit and a half and you know it.
No it isn't. Use a weapon in your main skill tree and you don't miss that often. I made a character recently and fucked people up with an axe.

The higher level enemies were doing some damage. The ones with magical weapons would fuck shit up and more than one was bad.

That doesn't even make since. You won't do more damage with better mastery. At most you'd get more critical hits.

Anti Morrowindfags are far worse. I'm not a Morrowindfag and only played it because I never beat it when I was younger, but even I can tell that you're just shitposting bullshit.
It does certain things better, like makes the lizards and cats actual beasts to a degree, having more places for armor, like pauldrons and gloves, and has more types of weapons, but I wouldn't call it the best.

This webm is completly fake, first of all he has 40 medium armor, 65 agi and is wearing almost full bonemold set, plus hes 68 on long blade.

There are literally no chances for him to fail against dralasa, whos level 4 and has a VERY low unarmored level AND blunt weapon, But then, she also hits EVERYTIME.

That is just impossible, this webm is rigged as fuck, plus just check his name, delete this.

>not leveling up your alchemy as a side effect
They end up being worth hundreds a piece and the materials never run out. After you have a gorillion gold you are also a lvl 100 alchemist who can make insanely powerful potions

You should make 3 webms of you dying in Dark Souls and see how the Fromfags respond.

Don't underestimate Dralasa. She's one of the heroes in the secret ending.

Pick a different franchise.

>playing an Orc
>complaining about magic not working

Nice cancer.

with the mountains of gold I can just train myself into godhood and then if I have a hardon for alchemy I can get to the Propylon chamber for that 100 training

It's terminal

LMAO what the fuck is this

Neither game particularly excelled at combat mechanics.

By fucking far the easiest elder scrolls. Its so easy to get a 100 percent hit rate, open any lock withing 20 minutes of gameplay. The only people that struggle with this game are mouth breathers.

I like Morrowind because of THE LORE

>want to play as an orc
>everyone tells me how they're a useless race
I just wanted to make a rapist barbarian.

>nonsensical combat
>1-hit by a literal. fucking. god.

>no webm of starting game and getting murdered by first npc
WOW

>rolling as a male Orc
>complaining that lockpicking isn't easy
Holy fuck. Go fucking play Skyrim where role-playing is nonexistent and your choice of character makes literally no difference and literally everyone is a sneak thief stealth archer.

A weird mix of dice rolls and hit&run tactics because everything happens in realtime.

Does gender actually make a difference? Also, just put a certain skill in minor and you can do it. I'm a male orc and pick locks just fine because it's a minor skill.

>Trying to cast a spell with empty stamina bar
And people will still get caught by bait because they don't know game's mechanics.

Yeah, gender makes a difference.

And, yeah, you can pick locks easily because you specialized in it. This baiting faggot didn't even do that.

Combat is bullshit, but magic becomes fun later in the game when you can craft ridiculous spells.
But the game is good despite it's shit combat.
No one in their right mind could defend the combat.

You raise valid points. I always would make a drain skill on self spell to train any skill to 100 from any level trainer for next to no cost.

>Yeah, gender makes a difference.
Damn. Never knew that. Guess I'll have to make a female next time.

It's very hit or miss.

You can look up the differences on UESP, for easy reference.

Dependant on your stats, which is apparently too fucking hard to understand for 90% of this board

>13 year old me figured out the combat in 2006
>grownass men can't in 2016

>game gives you free movement and aim
>comprehensively all combat interaction still based on skill points and dice rolls

Salty Bag of Coins

If you don't build a shit character, you'll hardly ever miss after a few levels. My last char was a stealth mage Dark Elf, and with a little help from the racial boost on short blade and the +10 from bound dagger I barely ever missed from level one.

At high levels the combat is much more fast paced and interesting than Skyrim. Your magicka pool is limited and spells are much more powerful. Leaping around with 100 acrobatics a lot of fun too.

>when the delayed Dark Brotherhood mod kicks in right before waiting for the cavern of the incarnate door to open
fug

Really bad, even when it works

>tfw DB can attack you at any point in the game
At low levels those fuckers could wreck your shit. Even better when your guild mates would just watch it all go down.

bad

I'm 2 steps ahead of you

Shockwaves bro

Like Birdemic with coin tosses.

Good for a laugh or two.

>play rpg
>WHY ARE THERE RPG MECHANICS

or Caius Cosades. Literally stands there watching you get slaughtered

It's the best elder scrolls combat system because it actually matters how you spec your character. if youre missing all the time thats because you're either level 1 or braindead retarded

does powers count? like infamous?

>it actually matters how you spec your character.
true, you either spec mage and become a god or you hate your life and want to punish yourself so you make a melee character

Funny how the guard will help out and even run out of the city to kill monsters, but your buddies just jerk it to you getting stomped by some assassins.

that's a bullshjit excuse. why are morrowind fags so fucking deluded?

I'm all for stats mattering, but this sounds like you're being forced to choose very specific builds or else the game will be total shit, rather than simply playing around what you build.

Also no amount of mental gymnastics will not make those fight "animations" laughable and stiff.

Because it's true for any game? Melee is always just spamming attack, but he's wrong that you should never go melee.
It isn't, but what you have to remember is that you need a decent skill in something for it to be reliable and low stamina fucks up your rolls.

>this sounds
Play it. Seriously, you're not forced into anything.
Most of these threads are memeing to try to incite anger, like hacking NPC luck to 10000 then recording a video of the "terrible" combat as you can't hit them.

it only takes a few points in one stat to hit things with your sword consistently. its not even a fucking issue but no one here has apparently played past level 2.

that boss (and entire location) was unfinished af

post some artorias shitboxes, if you can find any ;)))

Stats aren't usually the problem from what I see. Most of the videos that people post of combat they have 0 stamina. Your stamina bar affects your hit rate, that's where most beginners get stumped

why are you arguing with yourself?
you can check for samefag and even if you couldn't you're using the same retarded writing style

It's not about the presence, it's about the believability. If you want me to be confined to the RPG mechanics, you'll also have to confine my interaction. Make it isometric, make it turn based, I don't care, but don't offer me free movement and then throw this combat into my face.

well fuck
either you edited that or you're long lost twins

Agility too

0 stamina + 30 agility and no skill with a weapon means you aren't hitting anything

Like trying to snipe flies with a toothpick.
Extremely clunky and really not fun past a certain point.

good

It's pretty hit or miss

:)

Nice

Swordfighting is basically pulling a lever made of paper, same repetitive, samey motions too.

What is the best way to create a magic user in this game? Do I have to elf with major/minor every magic school and long blade?

Like this.

I wish I blocked that much. My skill is in the 80s and I still get hit most of the time.

Nords make better warriors, but orcs are okay too. Their racial benefits aren't as nice.

The trick is you can't see what level an NPC or enemy is, so you have to save often. If you do that you're golden. Just don't keep dying to shit that is obviously more powerful than you.

I made a shield orc for that reason. Figured the madman would be best as a nord and orcs have the blocking stat.

High elf is pleb tier because of the increased damage taken from magic. Breton is the way to go, they have magic resist and increased magicka. Atronach is god tier if you're going alchemy, if not mage, if you want a harder playthrough go apprentice because it increases magic damage taken.

High elf/apprentice is probably a really really terrible idea for a first playthrough.

Does anyone ever actually play as an Imperial in any of the TES games? They don't specialize in anything good like most of the other races, and if I wanted to play a jack of all trades character I'd rather use a Dunmer, or literally any other race with actually decent racial abilities.

Instead of hitting a giant health sponge sometimes your attacks don't hit.

So, being a Breton is required?
>I wanted to make a magical cat who fucks shit up with super drugs and lightning

Technically you can make just about any build work with just about any race, but some are definitely harder than others. Your build is still viable, it's just going to take more time and effort to get there, while a Breton is going to have a huge magic advantage right out of the gate.

High elf is straight up superior if you know what you're doing, because all of the weaknesses can be mitigated, but Breton is more nooby friendly.

At least they only have silver daggers in the beginning. Nearly shit myself the first time one came up with a deadric weapon, I was not prepared for that shit.

Thanks. I planned on a orc warrior, cat mage and lizard thief. I'm fine with having to work with it as I'm not as spergy as the others.
I haven't had that yet. I did run into a deadric enemy near that ghost gate and in the sewers of that one place and they destroyed my life. I bet Dark Brotherhood when you're weak is even worse.

Block is nice but it's not that useful as a main skill. You're better off training it for extra stat points later in the game.

Altmer is massively superior in Morrowind for a mage, the increased magicka bonus is a big deal for a big part of the game and enemy spellcasters are retarded and negligible.
It wasn't until Oblivion that they neutered the race by making the magicka bonus closer to bretons, added natural regen and made restore magicka potions cheap as fuck, making bretons easier and straight up better.

I found that out. Also,only have one armor and weapon skill. First time I've played in around a decade and I've been fucking up.