Knowing that the Sega Saturn had been set back by its high production costs and complex hardware...

>Knowing that the Sega Saturn had been set back by its high production costs and complex hardware, Sega took a different approach with the Dreamcast. Like previous Sega consoles, the Dreamcast was designed around intelligent subsystems working in parallel with one another, but the selections of hardware were more in line with what was common in personal computers than video game consoles, reducing the system's cost
>According to Damien McFerran, "the motherboard was a masterpiece of clean, uncluttered design and compatibility."

What went so wrong?
First built in modem, first online service really. Good exclusives and good thirdparty support. I love the dreamcast, But it had a slow and erupt end. It was a flawless piece of hardware. Anything I heard about it's failure was Microsoft's PR tactics that slandered the console to death when they released the xbox HUEG.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FQtO9ZTShgk
youtube.com/watch?v=ulvqRGdnOXo
store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=SEGA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Name one good Dreamcast game.
Something as good as OoT.

>the game responsible for the term "Quick time event"
nah

Power Stone

Story and characters were just as good as OoT.

It released when the PS1 was still selling well and later had to compete with the PS2, which was more powerful, had a larger disc capacity, and was capable of playing DVDs. Later still Microsoft copied and improved everything good about the Dreamcast and made it less relevant than the Gamecube.

sega could not financially support it. the dreamcast was selling well but sega was bleeding money out the ass. it didnt help that arcades were dying rapidly and that was where a lot of the income was coming from. its a shame really, i love the dreamcast. the fact that sega was still willing to take risks and make weird as fuck games for it when they were losing a shit ton of money says a lot.

>Story and characters
>OoT

Setting a high bar there, champ. Even then, we're on Cred Forums, not /lit/.

Sony paid for exclusives like MGS2, FFX, GTA3, DMC etc

Dreamcast was living on borrowed time

past mistakes and dumb choices is what killed dreamcast.

>mil-cd support was barely used but was the reason why dreamcast piracy was so rampant
>sega dug their own grave with saturn, the 32x, and the sega cd
>opted to use a proprietary disc format which was worse than dvds and just as easy to pirate as cds

the console was very legit though. it was doing native VGA 480p and 60FPS in games like Virtual On while PS1 and N64 were still struggling with 320x240 at 20FPS.

Skies of Arcadia

Hardware doesn't sell consoles, games do, and the dreamcast couldn't hope to compete.

dreamcast had games, bucko

I think we have a millennial here.

You could literally pirate games without a modchip. You could just fucking burn ordinary CD-Rs and it'd play games off of them.

PS3 had no games for years and it still sold millions just because it was the cheapest bluray player at the time.

they fixed it with the newer models though

Too late.

:(

>Hardware doesn't sell consoles, games do

kek this hasnt been true since the ps2

Skies of fucking Arcadia. Bow down.
youtube.com/watch?v=FQtO9ZTShgk

>They turned the sky into an ocean.

by the time they fixed it there were already millions of dreamcasts in homes that could play pirated games without a modchip. system update patches weren't a thing yet so there was no saving the dreamcast other than doing a total recall.

Not the pic I meant to post

As a 12 year old, the Dreamcast just had limited appeal. It's killer app (Sonic Adventure) just wasn't that good a game and at the time people knew the PS2 was just around the corner. The Saturn hadn't really had a big enough install base to carry over a big enough base of users, and at the time it felt like SEGA hadn't really been relevant for about six years.

Remember, people had been utterly spoiled by high quality games in the final years of the PS1 era, great games were still coming out in 1999 and 2000, so I think a lot of people in the general didn't feel the need to get a new console for an average mascot platformer (with notoriously bad controls), some okay arcade ports and a few niche games from Japan (JSR etc).

:( it still hurts

Just a reminder to take apart your Dreamcast once in awhile and clean the pins on the power molex port. If you don't then your Dreamcast will randomly turn on and off in the middle of gameplay.

What heroin does to people huh. They just got mad because she had a pretty face.

If anything MS helped realize Sega's vision for them with the Xbox. The XB1 is literally what the Dreamcast was supposed to be

Modern games owe so much to Shenmue.

>PS2
>the weakest console of its gen
>had every fucking game
>won the generation hands down

A few people bought it as a cheap dvd player initially, but everyone I know bought it for the games, and it continued to sell in droves long after you could almost get dvd players out of cereal boxes.

Crazy Taxi

>Hardware doesn't sell consoles
PS2
PS3

She was also a Christian missionary. Drugs are a hell of a drug.

This game literally bankrupted Sega. If Isao Okawa didn't bail them out before he died, Sega wouldn't exist today.

If Shenmue, Crazy Taxi, Samba De Amigo, Space Channel 5, Phantasy Star Online, Rez, Skies Of Arcadia, Ikaruga, all the fighting games from capcom, Virtua Tennis, The Typing of the Dead, The House of the Dead 2, Metropolis Street Racer, Headhunter, and Soulcalibur couldnt save the system nothing could it was fucked from the very beginning.

I remember reading EGM every month. Learning about all the games and consoles I'd never have money for. I was never more excited for anything than the dreamcast, and loved reading about everything coming out for it. Everything always seemed to be unique and asthetically pleasing. There were weird concepts like Seaman or Crazy Taxi and Jet set Radio. To think the console would tank before I ever got a chance to buy one : (

Phantasy Star Online

Marketing

nah ps2 sold like hot shit during its launch because dvd technology never caught on in japan until the ps2 was out. you had stores that werent even selling games selling the ps2.

>I never heard about Dragon's Lair
Educate yourself

You mean much better.
All those go to 6~8 shrines then defeat the final boss was never good writing.

just play it online with the rest of schthack

It was only fucked because of Sega. Never forget that it's possible to be the best but be undone because your leaders are the worst.

Some people bought a PS3 for blurays, but they never really caught on and it floundered against the 360 and Wii for years.

This.

Mine used to do this around 4 years ago when I was playing through Skies of Arcadia. Really annoying. Had to take it apart and clean it.

Wasn't as hard as you'd think.

>Educate yourself
Maybe learn some reading comprehension before you say that.

Maybe it was responsible ffor the term, but not the concept. Quick Time Events have been around since the 80s with Dragon's Lair at least

PS2 sold in droves thanks to The Matrix

huh?

if sega reentered the console market would you buy their new console?

No. I want them to go all-in on PC, however, where I will continue to fully support them.

i remember a girl brought this game in to 4th grade one friday to show me about it because i loved super smash bros.
kind of feel bad that i dismissed it bc later i found out how good it was, i was just a nintendo fanboy back then...

>Last Bronx
that name will never not be funny.

you should have fucked her, user

>I want them to go all-in on PC
PC is a niche market and nearly nonexixtent in japan

Even though piracy killed dreamcast, the amount of homebrew on that console was awesome. I highly recommend trying out the Dream Explorer homebrew program.

>tons of gamesaves for dreamcast titles
>listen to music from your favorite dreamcast games by swapping the disc
>unlock 44 extra blocks for your VMUs
>compress/uncompress VMU files to save space
>draw your own icon for the VMU screen
>play VMU minigames on your TV with the VMU emulator
>put custom themes on your dreamcast main menu
>hexedit VMU files
>setup your dreamcast as a FTP server
>use Gameshark codes

this shit is amazing

Unlikely. They'll land up going full mobile once they've failed enough on the core platforms.

Power Stone 1 was meh but Power Stone 2 was the fucking game to play at the time. It was basically smash bros melee before it came out.

2001/01/31
youtube.com/watch?v=ulvqRGdnOXo

where were you when the wrong kid died?

They've actually been vocal about wanting to move to PC and, in recent years, actually opened up a full Steam marketplace. As of right now, their Steam section is up to 17 pages (413 titles) worth of games for PC.

store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=SEGA

All I want is a PC port of Skies of Arcadia with the Gamecube exclusive features and the superior Dreamcast audio.

It had a shitty controller. It's advertising was crappy. It's "realistic graphics" were smack in the middle of the uncanny valley even for the time. Software sales were hamstrung because you could boot load pirated games on the 1st generation, no modding required.

On top of all that the only reason to own a dreamcast still to this day is space channel 5, and space channel 5 2 is on steam now so even that is a stretch.

All in all it was a shitty meme console and the only people that still defend it are hipsters and the tens of segas remaining fans.

The only reason to own a dreamcast now is to play seaman in english

All they need to do is make their own store and make vanquish exclusive to it.
Shit would have more active users than steam.

Dreamcast graphics was for a time even better than PC DirectX could pull out.

>Shit would have more active users than steam.
>because of vanquish

Have you ever PLAYED vanquished?
It's like third person quake 3.
What does steam have that's exclusive and worth shit, dota 2 and tf2? Please, only casuals play that shit anyway.

>dota 2
>casuals
lol

Correct me if I'm mistake but it was that Gears of War type game only with MGR style QTE cutscenes? I played the PS3 demo if it's the game that I'm thinking of and that game was for casual goobers.

>17 pages
>click games to exclude dlc and other shit
>down to 6
>10 pages of sega is DLC
>2/3rd of 1 page is demos

6 pages still doesn't sound bad, until you look and realize over half of it is just the emulation collection.

It didn't have any sort of cover locking system so it wasn't a cover-based shooter. You could stand behind a box but it wouldn't do you any good when someone blasted past you and shot you in the ass.
Also I never played the singleplayer because it was shit, but the multiplayer was balls to the wall.

*ephinea

Story? Just read a bit of info and it sounds just like my hentais

The PC version of Sonic Racing Transformed has a bunch of unique exclusive content too that consoles never got. There's also Sega games for PC there that just flat out can't work on consoles. Seems like PC is going to be getting some special treatment.

>angry birds
>minecraft
>mmos
>casuals
lol :^)

Modern day sega is pretty "Special" all right.

Accidentally posted the wrong pic but a girl around here was found dead in a park. Turned out she was a pure Christain girl turned into a heroin addict and then a prostitute. She was evidently brutalized and murdered while working to buy her drug fix. Like the other user says, no one would have cared if she were unattractive.

Sega has always been "special" but not releasing games for PC is literal foolishness. You make a game for console and it dies forever with the console. Make it for PC and it lives forever. Not only that but the community will continually breathe life into it for free as technology evolves if the game is good enough.

Basically, devs should only release games as console-only if they want to see all their efforts creations and efforts into a permanent grave yard where it will generate nothing for eternity.

There isn't any.

Space Channel 5
Crazy Taxi
Ready to Rumble
Shenmue
Skies of Arcadia
Grandia 2
Phantasy Star Online
Sonic Adventure
at the top of my head

Always played at a friends house.
Shit blew the N64 library out of the water no matter how you look at it.
I couldn't stand the blocky polygons and low framerate of it even back in the day.

>Toy Commander
also
>The best version of THPS

and then it was found there was a different way to burn discs that still works on those dreamcasts

No, since they would only use like 2 of these franchises anyways

theres a reason why they arent using them now

it didn't have any decent games.

when it launched it had sonic and that boxing game. I don't recall if power stone was out at launch but it defintely was not well known. It was trying to sell itself entirely on graphics, which sorta worked but it was going up against the ps1 when the ps1 was at it's absolute peak.

when the ps1 finally started to die down as it neared the end of it's life cycle the n64 showed up with mario and stole the thunder that would have gone to the dreamcast.

>it didn't have any decent games.

soul calibur says hello.

You got you timeline messed up. For north america N64 came out 1996. Dreamcast 1999.

Piracy was the least important factor into why the Dreamcast died.

By the time people noticed you could burn CD's and play then on the Dreamcast, it was already too late for the console.

WTF, OOT has barely any story at all... but Shenmue's story is FUCKING GARBAGE man.... holy shit. And i like Shenmue!

Sonic Adventure 2.

The saturn was still a better console

Damn this title feels good after all these years

Aerofighters Assaut. Gundam 0079. Gunhound. Sega Rally. Soulcalibur. Mark of the Wolves.

Come on man, OOT is not even that good. It's a simple, boring game for young children.

No, they should go PC only or Sony/Nintendo.