Survival Horror Thread

Post your favourite games in this genre and discuss why this is a dying genre because nobody gets it right.

If The Evil Within can copy Resi 4's winning formula why can't everyone?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk
mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8
mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE
mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE
mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c
mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc
youtube.com/watch?v=jCmmYF4rOwo
youtube.com/watch?v=gaHnS2HYUPE
youtube.com/watch?v=dr9hhiUNHwQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Does anyone actually understand the story for The Evil Within?

Well I finished it tonight and I got that Sebastian and Joesph were put in the machine as they we're excellent agents and partners but Seb was losing it so it wouldn't be so bad if he died during it.
Kidman was part of the operation and put in to supervise while knowing the plan all along. Ruvik was Rubin (Rubin is Leslie maybe?) and that it was all an experiment from Rubin's brain for some reason.
But we still don't know who most of the missing people are or where the pt3.14 jap nurse went.

Fucking great game tho

>Post your favourite games in this genre
-Silent Hill 1-4
-Resident Evil REmake, 2 and 3.

>why this is a dying genre
it´s actually quickly making a come-back, thanks to REmake´s huge success. We already got two indie survival-horror games, that even simulate PS1 look and feel. And we got RE7 and REmake2 in works!

>If The Evil Within can copy Resi 4's winning formula why can't everyone?
For starters, RE4 =! survival horror.
Second, TEW was horrible, mediocre shit.

The Evil Within was shit

RE4 is a great game because of pacing. It is the most perfect example of pacing in vidya.

>-Silent Hill 1-4
This!
In case people are still interested, you can get these for your PC right here and now. Follow this guide to get them running & looking good, and get them from here:

SH1 NTSC DDL:
mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH3 DDL:
mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

Mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" is a all-in-one fix, that works as a no-cd crack as well. It is included in the pack.
If you use the NEW fix mentioned in the guide, you can use the sh2proxy's EXE as the no-cd crack!

In case you experience issues saving the game / not being able to edit the disp.ini, make sure the files aren't set to "Read Only", and run the game as Administrator.
If SH2 gets stuck in a black screen upon launch, close it and re-start it again.

SH2-4 do not support Xinput gamepads. Either use Xpadder, a DirectInput pad, or just play with KB+M.

No love for Code Veronica X?

I've not played a new one in quite some time, I keep having to play hide and seek sims, I want some damn action with my spook.

I recently downloaded Homecoming for PC as I had fond memories from when I first played it but my god has it turned to a pile of shite.

here's the recommended emulator settings for SH1. Works great on all other games too.

The plugins used are:
-Pete's OpenGL 1.78; (more options & better performance than 2.x version)
-Eternal's SPU Engine.

alternatively just use a software renderer for very 1:1 PS1-like graphics, including 240p only.
...OR just buy the game from PSN Store for few bucks.

You could also try the new PGXP emulator, that adds Perspective Correction to PS1 textures.

>No love for Code Veronica X?
eh, I always found it to be a weird downgrade after RE3.
The very early 6th gen visuals also lacked the detail and atmosphere in environments the pre-rendered BGs got in previous games, while the 3D looks in general started looking very outdated the moment Silent Hill 2 and REmake came out.

>having fond memories of HC
Oh god WHAT THE HELL ??
I mean, sure, it´s better than Downpoor... but holy cow.

The Evil Within is the greatest pleb filter of our times.

indeed, as only plebs like that shit.
It´s a true thesis of all the generic things in modern AAA games, using everything that´s "trendy" for the sake of it.

Good timing on this, just bought a bluetooth dongle for my PS4 controller.

Homecoming did come out 8 years ago, I did enjoy it at the time, mainly because I spent £30-40 on it and the PS3's library was very shit but playing it recently there is 0 ways to actually get invested in that shit story with cardboard characters, I must of enjoyed the few jump scares, occasional spooks and "gameplay".

>indeed, as only plebs like that shit.

one day, you will understand.

That's hardly's a fair summary for the game. It's a solid 7/10 even for horror fanatics. It might not be the scariest game and pander to a new generation with the predictable protagonist and confusing storyline and unoriginal weaponry but behind the obvious sale tactics it's still a good game that varies in difficulty, play style and stands up compared to a lot of other "horror" games.

>game has turret sections
>horror

pick one and only one

The genre is dying because it's archaic by todays standards. You either ave to cripple the player with bad controls making it harder to play, or make it so you have no way to protect yourself and it becomes a shitty stealth game.

No, I don´t think so.
TEW was one of the biggest wasted potential titles of recent years.

Video very related, because I´m 2lazy to type at this hour:
youtube.com/watch?v=jCmmYF4rOwo

One was optional and one ensured you'd finish the game while maintaining the "survival" for not handing out too much in resources,

>The genre is dying because it's archaic by todays standards
Nope. Devs have just gotten too lazy, and realized that simple cookie-cutter FPS games, or FPS-games without shooting - AKA "horror walking sims", are not only faster + cheaper to make, but also make tons of dosh in no time out of casual crowd.

>bad controls
I sure hope you are not implying the 3D control scheme, AKA "Tank controls", are "bad"? Especially in the fine tuned REmake / Silent Hill 3 form ?

I was considering playing this but I really can't be fucked to waste more time fixing it. Is it as good as the fans say it is?

Tank controls are bad. Easy to use but still bad. They are specifically used to hinder the player. Once you give the player normal controls any form of difficulty goes out the window. It's why survival horror will never make a return. No company is going to put tank controls into a game these days cause the majority wont want to play it.

I just finished Silent Hill for the first time (loved it) and am playing New Fear. Enemy respawns seem either random now, or respawn after leaving the room (making their increased health and damage very annoying). To my disappointment, the chainsaw is worthless. Don't really know what this Channeling Stone does, but I am torn over whether to try for an ending where that one character lives or dies (got the good ending by sheer luck the first time).

I am also thinking of trying Fatal Frame. I kinda want to start with 1, but I hear 2 is way better. Any thoughts?

I never liked either Fatal Frames, the best part was selling them on Ebay. It seemed like a good idea but it just came of repetitive. Admittedly it was quite scary, very tense for a game

>specifically used to hinder the player

Guess what, in my 15 years of playing classic RE games and its clones I have never once felt hindered.

Perhaps you should consider that you are just mentally challenged or handicapped because you can't wrap your little mind around the fact that pressing UP on the dpad will always move the character forward no matter what angle.

>hurr durr

To a degree I agree as I'm not a fan of the controls but I love Resi so I just "git gud" and binge play through my favs

Seriously. It takes 10 minutes tops to figure out how to move around effectively. Maybe one death later you are zipping around all over the place.

The worst part of it is that since 2006, survival horror games are the only 3rd person shooters left.
After Gears all 3rd person shooters went to cover based, which only left RE5,6 Dead Space and now The Evil Within.

Unfortunately Resident Evil is leaving 3rd person shooters and Dead Space looks dead.

I know most people aren't happy with how all horror games turn into crazy action games with sequels, but until 3rd person shooters come back I'm fine with it.

Hopefully the new Doom gets people experimenting away from cover again.

>"my favorite survival horror game is dead space"

>DUDE SILENT HILL LMAO

Fucking this. I hate action so much god damn it, I remember my head even hurt while I played that part of the game.
You people can't deny how fucking bad that was, holy shit. Every infected shooting you with turrets and a helicopter scolting you shooting back whic then falls and explodes in field.
I felt I was playing fucking Fast and Furious bullshit.

You must have missed the part where I said easy to use. And yes it is vastly different than having full control. If you don't believe me go play REmake HD and switch between the tank and normal control schemes. It breaks the game.

Fatal Frame series is just incredible. They're hidden gems and also really fucking scary. Play them in order though, it's true that the second one is a masterpiece, but you should play them in order.

Anybody play this? It wasn't the scariest game but I feel like it's painfully overlooked as far as the "Surivival Horror" genre goes because it's a bit action heavy.

I agree with the guys message.
My favorite 3 action games are DMC3, God Hand and The Wonderful 101.
Unfortunately God Hand and The Wonderful 101 were said to have control schemes that were bad since they were different and not the standard.

That said, I enjoyed The Evil Within quite a lot, I felt the harder difficulties separated it from most games and were a lot of fun with a lot of neat mechanics to use.

TEW copied RE4 (and many other survival horrors) aesthetically but not all that much in terms of gameplay

You're a lot more nimble in TEW and combo kills are de-emphasized (though you will still end up doing matchstick combos, especially in the horde sections). TEW also has some weird stealth mixed in, and too little ammo to be considered a RE4 inspiration. It feels like a mish-mash of Mikami's games but leaning more towards REmake "ideals" to me, if that makes sense

What's the closest game I can get to Resident Evil 4, that isn't Resident Evil? Seems dumb for a question but I'm just craving a good game that's similar. Also not TEW.

characters like the one in OP's image are objectively not scary because they make no sense

Why is there barbed wire on his meat tenderizer? What the fuck is that thing on his face and why would he ever leave it that way? Shit like this completely ruins horror for me.

Dead Space

You've really set yourself some strict restrictions there.
Dead Space is one, but when playing it it makes RE4 feel like it never gave you ammo.

Can anyone recap everything that happens up until chapter 9 or 10? I'm pretty much at that point in the game, but I dropped it a LOOONG time ago.

Really, I never mentioned that as I felt they controlled similar but the space theme and suit upgrades like telekinesis separated them massively, especially in the later instalments.

its great and its shit.
i cant really describe it

Dead Space. Shinji Mikami even said he thinks Dead Space is more of a successor to RE4 than RE5 was.

That's not remotely close and that's the horrifying part.

Sebastian and Joseph were in STEM due to fucking Jimenez fucking up, they were never meant to go in, only Kidman was.

>the predictable protagonist

objectively wrong

>confusing storyline

also objectively wrong, as I said it's literally a pleb/people who didn't finish the game filter. everything is clear at the end

>Video very related

pretty much what I was thinking during during the first hours of the game.
this guy didn't finish the game

Is it true this game sucks big hairy monkey balls?

I can't explain the barbed wire.

There's a safe on his head because he is some kind of symbolic creature of a safe the main antagonist had that was held secrets/evidence. He booby-trapped it later then after we eventually come to this cube-head here .The game has crazier shit then this.

>What the fuck is that thing on his face and why would he ever leave it that way?

They knew how much of an ebin maymay Pyramid Head was and wanted to capitalize on it

Not at all. It's better than RE4.

Actually you've described it the way 90% of steam reviews have, so as far as popular opinion goes you're spot on. Would you say it's worth spending 5+ hours trying to get it to work?

Hey any horror games out there with really disturbing or creepy imagery in them? and I dont just mean creepy I mean imagery that you stop to look at and go "What in the fuck..."

RE0 HD with the "modern controls" settings is like 10 times easier. If you can't understand why being able to dart off in any direction without slowly turning until you're facing it (or doing a quick turn if the direction is straight behind yourself) I don't know what to tell you

Likewise, if tank controls were transplanted to a game which was planned for more direct control, you'd make it 10 times harder. Imagine playing a MP FPS in which you can't strafe ever, just move straight ahead

You're nuts and there's a reason the vast majority of people disagree with you

>Video very related, because I´m 2lazy to type at this hour:

he constantly compares TEW to RE 4. What makes RE 4 stand out is that tank controls.
Other than that the similarities with TEW are nill.

Ok so.

Sebastian, Joseph, Connely, and Kidman are on their way to Beacon Mental Institute due to a distress call. They arrive, and shit is all fucked up. Seb sees some funky shit on the security camera, turns around and BAM, NIGGA HANGIN' UPSIDE DOWN WITH A CRAZY DUDE. He gets out, falls in nasty water, and when he goes for a smoke, his cigarettes are all wet and shit (artbook and DLC confirms he's a HEAVY smoker). When he gets out of the hospital, he catches up with the crew, but OH SHIT KRIMSON CITY IS ALL FUCKED UP AND FALLING APPART AND THEY CRASH.

He wakes up, sees Connely eating some dude, shoots him, and then meets Leslie. "What the fuck?" happens, and then Seb eventually runs into Dr. Jimenez who says "MY BRUH WORKS IN THIS PLACE, WE NEED TO GET OUT OFFICER" And Seb is all "Detective, asshole." After catching up with Leslie again with Jimenez, you finally meet Ruvik, and not too soon after find Laura for the first time.

Chapter 5 happens, you catch up with Joseph and Kidman again, and then get separated again. Chapter 6 happens and Joseph is really fucking OP with the axe, seriously. Let him run out of ammo. Did I mention that occasionally Joseph loses his shit and wants to kill himself due to Ruvik's influence? Well that comes up a few times. Also, IT'S ABOUT FEELING NORMAL, with Joseph's glasses.

You get separated again, find yourself in the tombs under the church Seb and Joseph just went into. Find The Keeper, kick his ass, get out, and then Sebastian is at the Victoriano estate, you get some flashbacks about how fucked up Ruvik, and then go to a torture/rape dungeon. You kill Laura for good after all of this shit and Ruvik is all buttbothered because HE REALLY FUCKING WANTED TO BONE HIS SISTER. There's an explanation from early development too.

After all of that bullshit you end up in the city.

That's the first ten chapters.

>Objectively wrong

Sebastian was quite possibly the quietest main character that ACTUALLY had voicing lines. I didn't give a shit about Joesph, he was a wet fart of a character. Kidman was vaguely interesting for her screentime. I kept expecting Leslie to actually scare me or at least do SOMETHING. The Doctor and Ruvik we're the only plotlines that we're genuinely interesting and had a tense build up, icgaf what happened to the rest.

>IT'S ABOUT FEELING NORMAL, with Joseph's glasses.
That faggot, that boss gave me the most trouble my first playthrough.

>What the fuck is that thing on his face and why would he ever leave it that way?

DID YOU PLAY THE FUCKING GAME TO THE END ?

The evil within threads are literally filled with morons who played a few hours and are lazily baiting for answers.

I asked for real man, come on. No bullshit, tell me what's good about it?

I for one loved how fucking flat all of Sebastian's lines were. How is it that Bethesda got Anson Mount and he did that bad a job?

You can spot them if they compare it to the Last of Us since you can throw bottles to distract enemies and there is a stealth button.

Joesph was OP with his axe?!?!?!
I failed that part about ten time because HE kept dying

it's definitely not survival horror; it's one of the earliest cover-shooters out there

it's also apparently a prequel to warframe, if you're into that

The big reason he wanted the glasses, despite not needing them was because they were his grandfather's.

For extra trivia, Sebastian's jacket was a gift from Myra and why does every Mikami protagonist loser their jacket?

Yeah, mostly because the only gun that can interrupt his charge at you is the sniper (which sends him tumbling down on his side) which leaves him open for filling with buckshot.

No other guns do that to the dog aside from maybe the the harpoons which is pretty weird since he's a complete joke when you know that tactic.

>Loses Glasses
>Doesn't need them

I wish Seb let him an hero the bloody puff

You can heal him you know.
And he killed guys in one hit.

>The big reason he wanted the glasses, despite not needing them was because they were his grandfather's.
Didn't know that.

>why does every Mikami protagonist loser their jacket?
I was thinking this earlier today, and he doesn't even let us choose costumes to wear them the whole game.

The tactic I used in Akumu was charging into the bush with him and chucking grenades at him.
God damn bear traps kept getting me though.

Oh I bloody know, I lost most my health saving him, maybe it was just my playstyle but he couldn't hit a single thing with that axe

>They are specifically used to hinder the player.
On the contrary; those camera-angles would be literally infuriating to move around within if it wasn´t for that cohesive 3D scheme.

>"normal controls"
no such thing. Just because every game uses a Halo/AssCreed/DaS style controls does not make them "normal". Or even "good.

I don´t think enemies exactly respawn per se, but the difficulty mode does jump up a level from your past playthrough.

The chainsaw´s fucking fun! Just keep it pointed forward, and watch enemies rip themselves apart, automatically!

FF games are great. 2 is the fan-favorite, but tthere´s nothing bad about the others.

>this guy disagrees with my tastes = he must not have beaten the game
brilliant logic!

>Other than that the similarities with TEW are nill.
you are literally blind.

I tried to play The Evil Within and just couldn't enjoy it. Way too much forced shit that ruins exploration. The game forces you into situations every 300 steps, it's annoying. Every time you try to walk down a damn hallway it's a cutscene and then you end up somewhere else. Fuck this game. I wanted to like it.

Blatantly stated he played and finished it tonight

>Hur dur, you never finished it

The Amalgamation boss in the parking lot is the only boss that really gives me trouble now though cheesing it with a flashbolt on it's eye-tentacle thing and spamming grenades is quite effective.
Also
>The trip wire under the water that lets out electricity

Fuck that one, I always forget it's there every playthrough.

It's way better than RE4, no bullshitting. The gunplay is a huge improvement, ammo actually matters and there's more variety in weapons. Not the mention the different difficulties actually add something. The characters and story are infinitely better than anything in the RE series too, but that's not saying much.

Dude, the mechanics in TEW being similar too TLoU is too much of a coincidence.
Yeah, TLoU isn't the first fucking game to have shit like throwing bottles/bricks or the stealth button, but come they both do those things in a VERY similar fashion to the point where they probably made it that way to pander to the normalfags who like TLoU.

The reason is that they're parrots who didn't actually play TEW. The game is a straight upgrade of RE4.

I want to say that I like that RE4 has alternated costumes as a plus, since TEW lacks any of that, but the unlockable weapons in TEW are nice.

Brass Knuckles break the game however.

This post is quite possibly the most retarded in the whole thread
The gameplay for RE4 is miles better than TEW and pacing is perfect. The economy and inventory system is perfect. The enemy and character design is perfect. The combat is nearly perfect but most of all, Ashley's tied shirt white jeans combo, is perfect

No, because you can actually enjoy levels in RE4, TEW is inferior.

TEW= "I'm walking down a hallway, now a stupid cutscene, now I'm in another random place, ok, now right as I'm getting used to this place it's another dumb cutscene and now I'm somewhere else."

It sucks. It's an incoherent mess that just keeps moving you around over and over again.

>Not the mention the different difficulties actually add something.
I prefer RE4, but I agree with this point.

Except those 2 mechanic aren't really used in TEW past chapter 3.
After that, you'll probably only be using the bottles to stun enemies to kill them rather than the sound distraction, and stealth just isn't used.

Also, TLoU is a cover based shooter for about half the encounters.

Maybe those mechanics were added into the game to be used in marketing to get the crowd from TLoU, but I don't think they took them into consideration when making the levels past chapter 3.

I like how you can avoid them entirely though, if you just melee with a gun out it doesn't use the brass knuckles.
I would have preferred an infinite ammo gun like RE4 though.

>It's an incoherent mess that just keeps moving you around over and over again
Wow it's almost like the game is based around dreams or something. You're either legitimately autistic or baiting.

Actually the stealth aspects I used a fair bit, whenever I saw the opportunity I took it more often than not just because it would be quicker in the long run.

Infinite ammo in general would be great, since the game won't drop Rocket Launcher ammo, since it's a post game ammo.

Wait, does it drop that kind of ammo?

>being a waifushitter
Good job proving that post correct. Your taste belongs in a trashcan.

Oh ok, I shouldn't have taken my playthrogh as the norm.
My bad, surprised you found it quicker though.

Not user but I do agree. Other games have done the whole "dream/simulation" gimmick and done it well.
It's an excuse to bend the rules not go haywire making endless twists and scenery changes

Machine gun ammo drops, but once you are done with the 20 shots from the Rocket Launcher I believe that's it.
Bizarre since I think it's says there is a max of 30. I feel like I'm wrong but I've never found any or got any from anywhere.

>Waifushitter

Jiggle physics and revealing costumes make it a bad game, flawless logic there user, your post belong in the trashcan.

>Maybe those mechanics were added into the game to be used in marketing to get the crowd from TLoU
That's EXACTLY what I mean.

Heavy trap areas with powerful enemies usually, I found it easier to stealth kill them rather than running around trying not to waste ammo

STEM is all a dream using every participants' mind to merge into one single illusion, therefore you use bottles to distract enemies because Sebastian is an alcoholic as state in the flavor text. It doesn't have anything to do with TLoU.

related
youtube.com/watch?v=gaHnS2HYUPE

TEW is pretty fucking great but I really hate it's insistence on starving you of ammo and then throwing you into huge, lengthy combat situations. I never felt like I was being cheated during a Resident Evil game.

It's not related to WF outside of aesthetics and some references, DE confirmed they're not related awhile ago

It didn't help that the melee was useless

Did anyone else really enjoy the DLC to The Evil Within? I felt it was superior to Seb's story. The Shade monster (the light face woman thing) was pretty fucking unnerving everytime it popped up. I liked the more stealthy approach to the game design over the main campaign's slightly action focus. But once the action happens though it felt intentionally cathartic rather than a different challenge, like just simply blasting away at enemies with the shotgun. If it wasn't Mikami whoever was in charge of those episodes needs to direct the sequel.

Is the Fatal Frame 4 english fan patch thing worth playing?

John Johanas, who was a level designer for the main game wrote and directed the DLC.

>trying to decide whether to get REmake or TEW on PS4
It's hard, I like the look of both of 'em a lot but I can't get both right now because I'm using the rest of my spending money on Dead Rising and MGSV. Alternatively I could say fuck em both and get Mother Russia Bleeds if it's out on PS4 yet, but I just don't know.

Also bump, I guess

That's one hell of a promotion.

OK, maybe not but he did a good job as a director story-wise. I personally wasn't a fan of the stealth focus since I was expecting something like the main game in terms of gameplay.

REmake is a PS Plus title next month.

REmake is a very good game, one of the only examples of a horror game with action elements that doesn't just give itself up to the genre.
The Evil Within is much more action oriented, if you played RE4 I'd say it's a more fitting sequel to that than RE5 and 6.

If you really like FF yeah, personally I ditched it because I didn't enjoy the occasional bugs that ruined the tension.

You can't trust anything that happens after the final boss is killed and Seb "wakes up".

Leslie and Ruvik either switched minds or Ruvik just took his brain over with Leslie being dormant inside it (The former theory seems more likely to me.).

After that happens, Seb seems to be the dominant mind in S.T.E.M. without knowing so.

At the very end, it seems that everyone is still inside S.T.E.M., as Ruvik-Leslie disappears into thin air, Seb still experiences the headaches caused by the machine, and his partner (the guy) is nowhere to be found despite still being alive.

>We already got two indie survival-horror games, that even simulate PS1 look and feel.
What games? Are they any good?

It's actually explained in the very first chapter Even when you get out of STEM, you will still feel the effects from it or have Ruvik's mark on you. This being Seb's headaches and Kidman having those scars.

>Kidman saving those scars
That shit mad no sense.

meant "having"

Fuck me.

Huh? I don't recall that. Is it in any of the documents?

Though I do know that Seb and crew were already in the machine even while they were driving towards the hospital.

See, that twist from the DLC was nothing. At all. Fucking Myra being the head of Mobius fucking pissed me off to no end.

>getting lighthouse images for captcha

OH GOD.

>implying i pay for ps plus
If I've never played either before, should I go for REmake? Everyone says it's an iconic horror game so I feel like I owe it to myself to play it but I'm worried I'm a normie who'd whine about the controls and I don't wanna use the "modern" options because it makes the game look trivial. God Hand is one of my all-time favorite games but what if it's an exception? I haven't played another tank-control type of game in years.

Also in relation to TEW, is there any reason to build traps over loading up on crossbow ammo? Is the crossbow less effective on higher difficulties? It looks really OP in the vids I watched it also looks fucking ugly as shit

REmake is the best option, yes.

It is. In the very first file. It explains how people removed the STEM terminals would still feel effects of being inside of STEM.

The DLC confirms that Seb gets out anyway. Joseph however...is still alive, also confirmed by the DLC.

REmake would be the one I recommend more.
However another user said it is one of the games for PS+ next week, so if you have that it's all good.

If you liked God Hand you should be able to put up with the tank controls here, God Hand is in my top 3 action game as well.

The crafting in TEW doesn't work like that, you get parts from traps but can only make crossbow bolts with these parts.
And yes the crossbow is really strong, didn't realise in my first playthrough but there are some really nice things you can do with it.

Wow, holy shit. Goddamn, thanks for that.

The answer was right under my nose the entire time but at least I've just got that much more closure to it.

Its one of my guilty pleasures, i replay it every once in a while.
But i will say that the cemetery and the chapel areas really nail the creepy, scary vibe...even if the boss of the chapel was a total joke.

Most of the game explains itself just find. Outside of either ending at least, since both are SEQUEL BAIT AS FUCK.

>pyramid head ripoff

At least his head is Safe.

>the crafting doesn't work like that
So what do you build traps with then? Can you build traps even? Am I just going crazy and remembering a feature that isn't in the fucking game???

Memes aside, Haydee is unironically one of the best survival horror game released in years.

Anyone know the name of a first-person puzzle/horror game (point-and-click, I think)?

One of the levels was in a pyramid and another in a (Dracula's?) castle, iirc. It had some gruesome images when you died. Graphics were older, if that helps.

That was yanked out and replaced just with making bolts, which can be used as traps. Also, using the knife ala Resident Evil was pulled.

Hell, you remember that ENTIRE gameplay demo of Sebastian just trying to keep alive in that cabin, much like RE4? Never happens in the final game.

What?
No.

>What?
>No.

Did you play it?

Because that would just get boring. It's one thing to take what works from one game and another to just copy/paste things while slapping on a new paint job.

Take Siren for instance. The director reused a lot of what he applied to Silent Hill 1 (mysterious fog full of monsters, everything but the few scripted survivors are out to kill your shit, the world becoming progressively more detached from reality and distorted), but applied some new and unique things only for that series (the sight-jack ability, playing as numerous characters with intertwining plotlines, monsters largely being immortal).

RE4 largely worked because it was revamping an at the time nearly 10 year old franchise while still maintaining a lot of the beloved core elements.

TEW was a nice throwback to it, but for many just felt it was a more gory and demented game compared to RE4's campier nature from embracing the silliness of its series absurd premise.

Look at Dead Space and the other "RE4 clones", most of them are understandably disliked because they don't really add anything that makes feel truly distinct beyond "you hack up the enemies and see some weird shit like in that Suffering game".

The closest to making traps is bolts you shoot in place that detonate when enemies get into close proximity of it, I guess they could be called traps, but conventional traps like Bear Traps can't be made by you. However enemies can run over bear traps that are already on the ground which is nice, so sometimes it's better toy leave them there and not disarm them.

Well that's a big letdown, it looked like a neat system. Why would you remove it? Can't be cuz it's OP since bolts are too. Whatever the reason it really kills my interest knowing it's gone, REmake it is, I guess

Yes, it's a good game actually. Just not one of the best survival horror games released in the last years.

Said nobody, ever.

pls respond

Well it definitely plays like old school survival horror, if that's your argument. It's literally a Resident Evil game with a Portal skin and Tomb Raider parkour mechanics.

I didn't know Haydee was a survival horror, I though I saw it associated with metroidvanias.

Dead space 1 is the closest thing you can get. I mean, it has a limb system where you have to plan your shots. It only lacks QTE's and a melee system thats useful but overall the first dead space is the closest thing you can get.

Also, upgrade system for either guns or life was a thing in RE4 too. There were only two things that were introduced as "new" in DS, kinesis and walking while aiming.

Also, im playing dead space again recently and im on my 4rth playthrough while wondering why am i not playing RE4 HD, i even bought it as an excuse to 100% it again.

Damn, it's a tough one. I don't really know much about point and click games. Maybe is Clock Tower?

You're half right.
See:He's right.

I was under the impression the term metroidvania could only be applied to 2D sidescrollers, but from what I understand now it has to do with level design being one whole interconnected map, which would classify a lot of games as "metroidvania".

Nah, those are third person.

Judging from what I saw, this game is like the Nancy Drew games but Mature and with "worse" graphics.

What parts of my post were wrong? It's still all of what I described as well as metroidvania.

There's some pretty fucked up shit in the Outlast games. Mostly gore and body horror-related.
Whistleblower in particular gets pretty messy near the end.

Ok, I used the wrong words, sorry. His explanation was more direct. You're right too.

I keep trying to play outlast but it's just so fucking boring later in the game. Having to slowly crawl around waiting for these assholes to move is really tedious and ruins the atmosphere since. I had the same problem with Alien: Isolation, the monster predictably moving around the whole fucking puzzle is really frustrating.

Waxworks?

It's whats got me scarred about RE7, it's not the kind of game I like to play. It's okay in moderation to have an enemy you can't fight, but on the whole I like to have minimal resources and have to pick my fights.

The Evil Within was great and I liked it better than RE4 now if you can believe it. Also the characters are not that bad especially....

That's it. Thank you, user!

Damn,look at those titties lol

>G-VIRUS, DADDY!

I feel like half the problem is that people just don't understand what makes a survival horror game scary. Half the problem is that they think "survival" means, "not dying" when there's much more to it, half of what made REmake scary was item management, it was always, always highly stressing because you never knew if you were wasting items or not, melee was difficult, so there wasn't an easy alternative. It forced you to be more defensive, which always put you on edge, a lot of survival horror games now spoonfeed you "just enough" ammo and healing items to get you through each little segment. Another problem, like others have said, is games where you can't attack. Exactly what makes it any scarier? You're never worried about if you have enough ammo for example, because you know the solution to each encounter usually boils down to you doing fucking nothing behind a drawer or in a locker. Granted some games pull it off, but not all.

Yeah breh

I ain't tellin you tho :^)

G-Virus INDEED!

>nobody at Umbrella thought to make a boob/ass virus to impair those pesky women survivors

You know Ashley Graham is fucking hideous because fan art of her always looks way different than she did in the game.

>Ass/Boob virus
Something I can get behind literally

She wasn't that bad.

She's fine in-game.

It's hard to remember what she looked like when you're so focused on her big fat EARS

>Best RE girl finally makes an appearance in this thread

Thanks user!

Jesus, this game was a hot mess.

When there's considerable RE discussion, there's bound to be lewd/waifu posting.

>two indie facsimiles
I'll never understand people who play indie games JUST because they "look like other thing". How desperate can you get?

Damn, I can't play them because of my shitty pc, but I'd download it otherwise so thanks a lot for the effort

how shit?

SCP: Containment Breach
its free

Haydee

>That fucking chainsaw boss guy in the first level
>Find the crossbow
>Oh sweet, this will help
>It doesn't

I could never get passed the pyramid.

MIKE PLS GO

Oh boy, you're going to shit your heart out when you get to the keeper.

>Implying TEW wasn't one of the worst games of the last generation
Fuck off

neck yourself

Shoot a shock bolt, stab, repeat.

You first faggot
TEW was fucking trash and only contrarian niggerfaggots like you thought otherwise.
Funny how EA managed to make a better Mikami game in 2008 than Mikami could in 2014.

youtube.com/watch?v=dr9hhiUNHwQ
would you be willing to play a game that was like this again?
i wouldn't mind a big mercs game that was like this.

Well now I've seen everything.

Nice bullshit. Dead Space was garbage.

Can you not.

of all things, it's the boots that piss me off.
i think it throws off the whole outfit.

>chop off zombie's head
>he keeps attacking
Didn't expect that.

Is there any way to delete/rename saves?

but its outlast

k Mikamidrone.
Enjoy your shitty game with a convoluted story, garbage enemy design, bullet sponge enemies, and repetitive gameplay that rides on the coattails of a MUCH better game from 2009.

>he thinks scores means a game is better/worse

KEK
LA
KEK

I meant 2005

No, just means that your shitty opinion is in the vast minority, where it belongs.

>minority

Nice delusion there, kiddo.

>Clear evidence that more people think TEW was bad than good
>Nice delusion
>Kiddo
We're done here, stay BTFO.

i like both dead space and TEW

>thinking scores are evidence
>BTFO

Nicely meme'd, bub. Nicely meme'd.

who cares if TEW is better than dead space or not, outlast shits on both of them

Outlast is pretty damn good but its too short. I beat the whole game in one sitting. It took me all night, but still.
I wouldn't say it's better than DS, though, the gameplay is pretty much the same all the way through. It's a country mile better than the garbage that was TEW though

Outlast is fucking garbage jump scare simulator

>bullet sponge enemies

Oh look, that retard who thinks the enemies in Bioshock 2 were all sponges is back.

Nice opinion m80

>jumpscares are bad
sounds like you just can't handle getting scared m8

Nobody gets it right because nobody is attempting to do proper first person survival horror when that has been the ultimate genre for over a decade now. The best I've played so far is Dying Light and it's still a far cry from a stellar experience.

Probably never even played the SH games which had those as well.

Replace "TEW" and "Deadspace" with rival sports teams of your choice.

We aren't so different after all.

Bioshock 2 was fantastic though. Unlike TEW.
No idea who you're talking about though, not everyone that thinks TEW is trash is the same person.

Not really at all, no. Also jumpscares aren't inherently bad as long as there is a good atmosphere of tension leading up to them. The sound direction also made the game scary without the jumpscares. That area where you crawl past the guy that's eating the guy in the kitchen is a good example.

>people say to play cry of fear
>game has a literal screamer jumpscare
>uninstall.exe
fuckin dumb

>if the evil within can copy resi 4s formula why can't everyone?

Well for one it was directed by literally the same guy as resi 4. And like any formula it becomes stale when overused.

Only the locker is a jumpscare

And the lying figure under the car in the second game. Plus the bathroom stall that makes the banging if you check it in the prison.

The mannequin that screams in SH3 counts too.

I enjoyed both franchises. For me it would probably go DS>DS2>TEW>DS3, and I enjoyed DS3. DS3, for me, was worth the price of admission for the first area with the freezing mechanic and necromorphs hiding in the snow.
Why can't we get a survival horror game in the same vein as John Carpenter's The Thing?

There's 10x the amount of jumpscares in outlast.

We did. It was just a mediocre game that overhyped having "anyone could be the Thing" and turned out most, if not all instances were scripted.

Glad Alien Isolation turned out as well as it did, even if it was a tad long.

Yeah, I could've had Alien: Isolation end four hours earlier. It got to be that I was just brute forcing my way through areas because I was sick of wasting 15 minutes of progress when the alien grabbed me. All of the tension was gone.
Still one of my favourite games.

Loved that game. Loved how it was the game they were forced to make when they wanted to make Warframe back then.

I would like TEW WAY more if it's wasn't for the Laura fights, that shit sends me up the goddamn wall. Everything else it does quite well, especially the goddamn atmosphere and visual design, though it would have been a tighter game if it didn't feel the need to copy Last of Us.
Dead Space 1/2 are closer to a modern RE4 than TEW.
Seen some anons mention Bioshock 2. Bioshock isn't really survival horror, more of a shooter with light RPG mechanics and horror elements. That being said, I think 2 is by far the better game out of 1 and 2. Played both multiple times, and played them now back to back due to the remaster. 2 has way more options, allows the player to experiment more, and maintains a solid experience throughout.

No mention of Alan Wake in here? It wasn't exactly the scariest game or the hardest, but it did have very nice atmosphere and the story was fun. If only the game allowed the enemies in the game a chance to sneak up on you instead of pulling you away from your third person camera to show you exactly where they are.

Thats right

>TEW was one of the biggest wasted potential titles of recent years.

Speak for yourself.

I didn't get the impression that TEW was a blatant copy of RE4. I think it felt more like RE4 if RE4 tried harder to remember the series' heritage up to that point. I'd say it's still an action horror game but TEW definitely tries harder to incorporate more conventional survival horror mechanics into its DNA than RE4 did.

Alan Wake was pretty cool

Good to see some fellow facebook loving redditors on here!

How well does the PS2 version of SH3 emulate?

Why not just use the PC version?

RE4 is still the better game. Mikami also didn't want to make TEW and you can feel it throughout the game also the game. Also TEW had the same problem where it kind of fizzled out at the end.

I hope Mkami's studio drops TEW series and focuses on a new IP

>Mikami also didn't want to make TEW

Except for the fact that he did and stated so in countless interviews. Hell, it turned out better than most games Bethesda has had their fingers in and rimjobbing.

>Tank controls are bad

Except they aren't.