strawpoll.me/11337677
udemy.com/make-a-game-and-learn-to-code-in-gamemaker-studio/
youtube.com/watch?v=qdf7rYR4x4k
youtube.com/watch?v=CmvnWV-HxVY
randygaul.net/2013/03/27/game-physics-engine-part-1-impulse-resolution/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

There's a sale on clickteam fusion 2.5

How shit is it

Too lazy to do it, that's way I buy them.

It's great if you want to make apps

pretty fine, worked on it most of the day today (and when I wasn't working on it, I was watching Sabagebu or browsing Cred Forums)

still, do we need to have these so frequently
like, I'm glad to show off my game, but it doesn't need to be a daily thread

added spikes and damage, made enemies extremely visible
I also implemented an enemy indicator, a glowing square that grew and flashed as you got nearer to an enemy, but it wasn't actually terribly useful in practice, so I commented it out.

made an entire test level, multiple paths and shit -- I'm considering actually putting it into the game as a proper level, but I'll probably leave it in as a bonus and do something more polished for the real stages, this was mostly made as practice, seeing what works/doesn't regarding item placement, etc

need to implement more stage gimmicks to keep things interesting
still need to implement vertical wall-run panels, for example

still using Fraps despite downloading OBS because I need to fiddle with OBS so I can get it to not record as a tiny window on a big-ass canvas at 30fps -- probably not hard, but I can't be bothered to fuck with it at the moment

Working on status effects. Freezing makes the entity unable to act until the turn count is over, but it's defense decreases by 1. But attacking it means it will break out of the ice sooner than it should
I've been thinking about using some shaders to make the game look prettier based on some color splash screenshots I've seen

That's fucking rad as hell
Can you share one or two max quality screens?

>frozen in giant block of ice
>defense DECREASES

You have to hit a giant block of ice before even reaching them. If anything it should increase defense.

The graphics are still placeholder and I will make better sprites/models later
Actually it used to increase defense before, but it made bee's attack (at the time dealing only 1 damage) useless. I might swap it with numb since numb just stops enemies for a few turns

Was just about to start my second project, thought of making something like the Gunman Clive games with robots.

Took me like a two days to realize that's literally just Megaman.

Tell me how to Design Doc Cred Forums.

downloaded Unity and Blender and feel super unmotivated and overwhelmed.

I need to go through a manual for both and I just don't have the patience for that.

Even with Gamemaker. I feel like all these tools are just way more work than they should be and simple programming should be where I should go.

I would buy this

I've been busy trying to think up and implement new features because I'm procrastinating the actual level design.

Holy shit, do you have some site or Youtube account where I can follow this? Been dying for someone to make a spiritual Paper Mario sequel since Nintendo won't do it. South Park Stick of Truth was close but not quite and Fractured But Whole completely changed its battle system.

I want to make an open world environment like in Grow Home where you see all the other parts of the world no matter where you are but I don't know how to make terrain that uses LOD with no seams.

Anyone who has delt with this before?

What would be a fun idea for a local multiplayer game? Co-op or competitive?

I am making an engine, but then I will make the game. No pics tho, until it's beatiful I will not let anyone see it.

I got gamemaker studio recently and started watching some tutorials recommended here. really enjoying the tom francis videos

user i love your game and get excited every time i see it, do you have a youtube or blog or something?

write a few things about what you want to do on a piece of paper
then implement them in your game
that's what I'm doing

like, if your game is going to be huge as fuck (and/or you have a team), you want a more substantial document than that

but if you're just doing this yourself, just do some really basic planning and jump into actually making the game

I'd say co-op for local multi, even though I love me some local vs games.

paperbugdev.tumblr.com/
While I am making it similar to PM, I want to change some stuff and make it not a direct clone, but still similar enough.
I want to try a few shaders since with the Color Splash leak, some screens like pic related made me realize lighting can change a lot.

what's your genre, bros?

www.strawpoll.me/11332904

>no "Other" option
Tower Defense.

>nitl101.blogspot.com/

Free demo for anyone to try. I'll be answering questions after I wake up.

Leave a comment on the website if you want, I look over every bit of feedback

without even looking at the results i'm willing to bet platformer and rpg are in the lead.

>I'll be answering questions after I wake up.
spoken like a true dev

>inb4 niche themed maze of galious ripoff

Get that shit outta here
Real poll for real indie devs right here

strawpoll.me/11337677

Implementing some bangai-o-esque chain reactions.

show us your main menu, anons.

There is nothing yet, but soon there will be

It's default as hell but it functions - almost 100% with a game pad, I just don't have B button functionality yet.
Will flood it with art assets later.

Pretty good. This weekend I'll be mostly focusing on behind the scenes stuff and balancing skills and items. I'm really liking how it's all coming together, though.

Is this a motherclone?

It's a big influence, yeah, but it's not as prevalent as one would think.

that font rendering is killing me
everything else is sharp and clear, and the text is blurry as shit

I can't code. I want to though. I'm in an online programming class in my college, and although I just started, I'm slacking hard. I have an exam soon and im so sure im going to fail.

help

use a program that doesn't require any coding :)

>going to college for something you can learn for free through practice and youtube tutorials
I cant help you now. You're in too deep

drop class
download gm/unity
follow tutorials
make simple games

HELP!

Slow af

Drew some more furniture today.

That is some damn good furniture

Thanks!

Drawing furniture is my favourite thing to do by far, so the game already has like 200 pieces of furniture.

neato

God Eater came out on PC. Any progress on my pos efforts has no ground to a halt. Probably will end up shifting to try something new yet again whenver I get bored with GE.

I just try to make games as a hobby, I have a hard time finishing anything once I realize I wouldn't want to play it myself.

Working on this map, mostly focusing on the church.

Yo kind of want to use 3D program but not sure where can I get a good one. I cannot draw and do not want to ask friends if I can't pay them.

So any good 3D model for bad artist or no talent at all?

Blender, good and free.

4 on the missile counter looks ugly. fix it to be in line with the other numbers

blender or pirate 3ds max.

you can learn to draw m8. it's a skill like any other. just gotta do it a lot and enjoy yourself then you'll get better.

Love the 90's aesthetic. If I may be a pair of fresh eyes though, the road tiles look out of place. I dunno if they're too flat or is it the angle? Something.

last night I made it so time actually advances 8 hours when you rest for 8 hours

What would be the best program to use for a 2d platformer with 3d models?

i agree with that
the tiles aren't following the isometric feel at all

Making a VR game
Gonna try working out the different locomotion first

The game itself so far is going to be "Explore a wilderness area and solve puzzles" and at the moment the main gimmick is "You can shrink to smaller sizes to get through puzzles using rune stones"

It'll probably be some sort of collection marathon to build something or maybe unlock something.

i admire your ability to accurately reproduce the ultima online look, but 45 degree orthographic project is just so awful looking

unity

Yeah so I suck ass at pixel art

I'm trying to make a Security Officer, in a top down perspective.

What needs to be changed?

oh wow look how retarded I am

everything, what the fuck is wrong with you

it's not possible to critique it
it doesnt even look like anything
top down perspective generally sucks for art though, it's difficult to make something that looks good unless you use a bit of unrealistic perspective

look at the other picture you dumb nigger

How are you developing this? What engine?

Which one would you recommend for an adventure RPG in the style of zelda ocarina of time, gamepleay and combat wise?

What other perspectives could I do? Top Down seemed like a good starting point.

I just finished making a clock and the object that controls the time.

side view / platformer is the easiest, its the most attractive and natural perspective and you only need to draw one direction of animation and flip it for the other one. plus you have tons of reference material.

thanks dude

Not technically game development, but I'm trying my hand at creating a L4D2 Campaign. It's got an office setting

I'm using unity_____
But all the code and assets are made by me. I don't plan on using the asset store ever. I also made my own character/entity controller and UI classes since I don't like the default ones
I also make the game on a decent computer, but run it often in a literal tablet to optimize it the most I can.
It can run on a PC with integrated graphics and 1gb of ram at 60 fps without drops, probably won't stay like that when I add shaders/better graphics but it is good to have everything optimized already

looks kinda boring but visually impressive. Speed up the gameplay. I hope there's gimmicks like timing your attacks from paper mario or something to make it more engaging.

>Deuces
I like that.

Thanks! Looks rad. I'll have to figure out what 3D engines work well on Linux since Unity isn't available. Wish you luck!

Top-down works surprisingly well for horror games, I find.

Timed hits are in already. Here is a very old webm showing what happens if you press correctly or if you fail

if you want to make games people actually play, use windows

top-down is good from a gameplay perspective, it's just really difficult to make good looking top-down art, probably because we arent used to seeing the world that way

Just as good as my life

:c

Why would you intentionally make your game look awful? Sincerely, I love isometric perspective, but that Ultima like shit is so fucking bad.

Isometric or JRPG like.

Pre-production phase. I've got some sprites done up but that's about it. I have experience in GameMaker so I decided to use that, but I've got a question, and for some reason, I'm going to ask Cred Forums what they think.

So I wanna make this game similar to Sim Tower; but I'm wondering how to handle the pathing for NPCs. I kinda figured I'd simplify the game, and have one central elevator shaft and then you expand by adding floors.

So I figure for pathing I do:
-NPC goal is activated (now has something to do)
-NPC determines if goal is on current floor
-If not goes to elevator
-Somehow determines which floor the goal is on, and if there are multiple places he can go (for example needs to go to medbay but there are two) it determines which one is fastest to reach (with some maths)
-Goes to determined floor
-Goes to goal
-Completes task (path deleted - checks for new tasks)

Now the question is, does this make sense? Is there a more efficient method? Would it be easy to manage multiple elevator shafts with a different method? Keeping in mind it has to determine which shaft not only leads to the floor he needs to go to, but also which part of that floor he needs to reach (for example if there were two elevator shafts and two or more "towers" so to speak)

I don't know I'm just trying to figure out if I should use GameMaker for a tycoon style game.

Idunno. I like the aesthetic.

Well, Catch the Clown is ready to go gold. Will be doing more gamemaker tutorials for an hour every day alongside the drawfag practice while I get my game mapped out on paper and figure out what I need/want for it.

I'm probably going to get this. Should I?

udemy.com/make-a-game-and-learn-to-code-in-gamemaker-studio/

Also, are there any Udemy courses worth getting that will teach me how to draw? And how much would that benefit me for making gaymes?

if you switched it to 30 or 35 degrees it would look so much better

Btw it's 2d like SimTower, and I'm essentially thinking of using 3 pathes for one task (path to elevator, path up/down shaft, path to goal)

the elevators should be part of the pathfinding algorithm

For horror, it does serve the art because you don't know what exactly is chasing your ass.

It's pretty good if you're a beginner at Game Maker.

I saw some drawing courses, but they weren't that great imo. Some guy on /ic/ posted videos from Peter Han's Dynamic Sketching classes, those were pretty good.

Keep in mind you have to practice a ton outside of watching courses in both game maker and drawing.

you mean the elevator "knows" what rooms are connected to it and when the npc reaches an elevator it can check to see that it will go to the necessary location? I suppose that would make it easier to have multiple shafts.

Cloning Castlevania. Took way too long making a smooth looking jump that mimics the physics of the original. I struggle with satisfying velocity and acceleration.

Is my way of thinking about collision all wrong? I adjust my character, and then check his bounding box against the bounding boxes of every "wall" in the level. If they intersect at all, I just move the character back the same amount that he just moved forward.

This is in C++ btw, so I can't just drag and drop "collision" items or whatever.

IT'S HIP
TO FUCK BEES

So let's say you release a game and it gains somewhat of a big following - are you okay with the R34 of the characters that would inevitably follow?

fuck yes

I'd be waiting for it with bated breath. I'd design characters just for the r34.

I would be flattered.

first of all, use a spatial partition, like dividing the level in grid cells of all the objects so you dont have to check every single collidable in the level.
second, you need to "sweep" collisions. dont move the box to the next position then check, if the box has a velocity of 8, move it 1 pixel 8 times and check for collisions each time. otherwise you're going to have accuracy problems if something is moving too fast or you need to find out what collided first.

Would YOU be okay with it, paperbug dev?

Yes I'd probably jerk off to some of it

>implying I haven't already made r34 of them that will never be shared with the public

I figure I'll get around to a spatial partition if it looks like things are moving too slowly. I really don't have that many collidable objects yet.

As far as movement, I'm doing everything in regards to the delta time since the last frame. For example, Simon's speed is 64, so I get the time in seconds since the last frame (dt), and move him by speed*dt. How does that work into this per pixel movement? Also wouldn't it be very intensive to be checking every pixel every time?

Why would someone not?

when doing collisions, check ahead based on how fast the character is moving
and if it will collide, just move it towards the wall pixel-by-pixel in a loop until it's touching the wall without colliding

doing an after-the-fact collision method for walls is very error prone, so always ensure that you aren't ever actually colliding with walls, just touching edges

>R34 of a literal cube
hot

why wouldnt you share? freaking phil fish levels of dev assholery.

This makes sense to me. Thanks.

If you do delta-time, non-swept physics it's going to be extremely unstable. it's going to act differently at different speeds and things are going to get stuck in each other. If you're doing a game with pixel art I really suggest you use per-pixel collisions, and don't ever do physics that are bound to delta time because you're going to get really inconsistent results. Maybe it sounds like I'm being strict but if this is a 2D platformer we're talking about people really aren't going to forgive a movement that isn't smooth and perfect.

>Also wouldn't it be very intensive to be checking every pixel every time?
That's why you use a spatial partition. You grab the possible collision candidates at the start of the sweep and you only test on those for the duration of the sweep. Even so C++ is fast, if your levels are small enough you might not even need a parition

btw shaun spalding goes over exactly this collision check method in his gamemaker tutorials; he doesn't use drag and drop tho he uses GML so it may still be helpful to you. He also, on a later tutorial goes over slopes, I don't know if that applies for you.

>when doing collisions, check ahead based on how fast the character is moving
just loop through the velocity every time, otherwise if things are going fast enough they could go right through a wall

fiddling around with concept art/character design right now.

FUCKKKKKKKKK WHY IS THIS HAPPENING

Its like the leg doesnt know its not colliding or something, can someone help?

This is in Game Maker Studio with physics turned on.

Check and double-check that all parts and their components/attachments/children/etc have unique names.
I don't know if there's a way in GameMaker to draw the hitbox outlines while in-game, that might provide some insight. It looks to me like one of those hitboxes is twisting without its graphic, I don't know.

So should I absolutely just not do delta, and instead move by pixels and frame cap? I have certainly ran into issues where a bit of lag can send Simon under the floor, through the boundaries there.

Make it a feature

the best way to handle game loops is a combination of both delta and fixed updates but if you dont want to go that far then yes, stick with fixed updates, delta timing is so unstable when you use it for things like physics

What if I'm checking my delta adjustments so they never exceed a certain amount?

Its difficult to explain what is wrong with delta timing in simple terms
But consider what happens if you move an object 100 units in 1 frame compared to 10 units in 10 frames, with a whole bunch of other objects to collide with inbetween. The result is going to be completely different, seeing the order of collision matters
And consider how friction to the ground usually works, by dividing your velocity, velocity = velocity * 0.85 or whatever, is going to give you drastically different results unless you do some calculus and more complicated math
Unless you're an experienced programmer just lock the framerate at 60 and do fixed updates, it's simple and precise

Ok I fixed it. I got some really bad advice from the game maker documentation on fixtures, which as far as I can tell arent even needed for anything. The code went from this:
//front leg
var mainFixture, o_id;
mainFixture = physics_fixture_create();
physics_fixture_set_box_shape(mainFixture, (sprite_get_width(sprite_index) / 2), (sprite_get_height(sprite_index) / 2));
o_id=instance_create(x+36, y+36, obj_upper_leg);
physics_fixture_bind(mainFixture, id);
physics_fixture_bind(mainFixture, o_id);
physics_joint_revolute_create(id, o_id, x+36, y+36, -90, 90, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);
physics_fixture_delete(mainFixture);

To this:

//front leg
var frontLeg;
frontLeg=instance_create(x+36, y+36, obj_upper_leg);
physics_joint_revolute_create(id, frontLeg, x+36, y+36, -90, 90, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);

Oh that crazy game maker documentation. Doesnt explain shit and half the time its crazy.

I'm counting on it.

I'd commission it to spread awareness of my game.

This is the only correct answer.

I'm gonna be in the minority and say no. Mainly because I wouldn't want that stuff to come up in Google if my family searched my game. That and I don't like to look at my characters in a lewd way. If people can't control themselves and want to draw smut of my characters, I'd prefer it to be clean, vanilla stuff that promotes healthy relationships.

I made some real progress today refining controls in this.
Next I need to start writing the logic so the player cannot escape the spatial map and fall through the floor like you can see at the end of this video.

youtube.com/watch?v=qdf7rYR4x4k

Looks like you're doing some really cool stuff, user.

Thats pretty neato from an engineering perspective, but it doesnt look like there is very much compelling stuff there gameplay wise.

yeah I can not express how lucky of a situiation I am in, honestly it only set in about yesterday when I made youtube.com/watch?v=CmvnWV-HxVY
at this point it feels like a crime to do anything else with my free time other than work on this.

yeah I agree, as of now I suck dick with unity but I am going to be dedicating pretty much all of my free time into getting better and iterating on this project.

How would you guys do meele combat?

Left mouse button for a left attack and right for a right attack while holding down a button enables heavy attacks. Or left for light attacks and right for heavy. The first would allow me to make a guard mechanic where you can hold down the button to guard for that sides attacks.

The first sounds good.

I want to make a game like Animal Crossing New Leaf where you're the mayor of a town and you chat with villagers and you help build the town up.

I'm considering RPG Maker for ease but my understanding is that there are premade RPG engines for Game Maker for sale. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I'm not a programmer but I'm trying to learn some stuff with GM. My passion is writing and I think I would do a great job in that area.

Bump

Thanks user, first I thought about trying to do a mouse based melee combat but when I tried it, it just felt weird.

I've not played it in a while but check out Exanima for that. It's something you had to learn, but it feels very good once you've done that. If they eliminated the whole moving around like a drunk thing by now it'll be perfect.

>I wouldn't want that stuff to come up in Google
it wouldn't
google has extra filters now that won't show porn unless you're pretty explicit with your search terms, even with safe search off

>Have a good idea for a single-player survival horror
>Absolute shit at drawing
>not bad at programming, but lose interest quickly

this is hell

I wanted to do something like that myself and wrote up some ideas for villagers and stuff. I wish you the best of luck. Why not write some scripts or character profiles while you search for a game designer/programmer?

Do you have any ideas that would separate it from Animal Crossing?

Why is she wearing a Reds hat?

I will hate forever whoever came up with slopes in platforming.

How do you do this shit, I get it to work but it looks bad when they move up it.

why would anyone play this when it looks like a rip off of geometry dash

that's clearly sonic the hedgehog

Maybe I should do that.
Setting and humor are big differences. It's a lot more mature but still retains the cuteness of AC.

Not edgy mature though. Kids could play it no problem. Absolutely something my young nieces could play.

I don't think they could R34 a robot.

Hahaha.

I could maybe help with the coding side of things, but I'm no artist.

If you can get it to work, you are already ahead of me. What I do right now is apply a vertical speed correction specific to slopes, similar to the way I apply a vertical speed correction due to moving platforms. Even if "voluntary" vsp is 0 including gravity, other factors can change the final vsp used for collision detection.

Anyway, for slopes, the vertical correction is equal to -(slope*hsp), where slope includes the direction the slope is pointing towards. For a 45 degree slope, the slope is 1/1=1, and the sign +/-1 depends on its direction. If slope and hsp are the same sign, their product is positive and you want to move 'up" (so multiply the product by -1.) If the slope and hsp are opposite sign, their product is -1 and multiplying by -(product) moves them positive (down. ) So if you move in the direction of the slope, you move up, if you move opposite to the slope, you move down. But this doesn't take into account colliding with other tiles on the same frame, not being on where the slope tile actually considers "ground" during a given frame, etc.

Haven't done a lot of actually demonstrable gameplay stuff recently, it's all been backend stuff like making object tooltips increase in size dependent on how much text they have to show, cleaning up attacks so they actually gain benefits from their relevant stats and fixing my script to roll for crits so it actually works now.

I have added some new stats to items and implemented a trait system to give some stats fancy names though.

bug fixes and polishing. working on a new song.

didn't you say you were going to stop posting in every thread?

not showing anything new.

so you're just advertising then? that's even worse

not advertising, just replying to the thread's question. Don't worry user, I'll be gone for a week so you wont have to see any more posts from me.

too bad ill still be here in a week

I'm trying to figure out how to come back mentally from a computer failure that wiped out basically all of my damn progress since I was too dumb to make a backup.

what

you didn't make cloud backups?

Nope, for the life of me the thought never occurred. I'm more surprised that I fucked up that hard considering I'm usually more on top of shit like that.

You can just snap the object back since you know what side it crossed and the dimensions of the object. So you're up against the wall rather than ever so slightly back.

Alternatively just implement actual 2D physics.
randygaul.net/2013/03/27/game-physics-engine-part-1-impulse-resolution/

This kid provides a very well tutorial on doing so. I don't know if he ever fixed his bugs, but well worth following if you don't plan on using Box2D or something.

el bumpo

Realize that doing everything a second time guarantees it will be better than it was before.