Why does Cred Forums hate this again?

Why does Cred Forums hate this again?

Also, Dead Money > Lonesome Road > Old World Blues > Honest Hearts

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qFsDAOsviBc&t=44m56s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

New Vegas or Lonesome road?

Anyhow I love Vegas, but lonesome road felt very... linear. It just felt like a long road, so I guess the name is honest.

Also I think Old World Blues should be put in front or behind Dead Money, sure as shit better.

Cred Forums isn't a hivemind n*rd

I think Honest Hearts gets too much shit.

Lol you thought dead money was good? I mean the story and concept was cool and the characters were great but the poison gas and the neckbombs AND the unkillable holograms were so annouing and eeally hurt the exploration and gameplay

lonesome road is a linear slog. it just reminds you how bad the game's combat feels.

Linearity mostly, although like said I think it's kinda the point.

To your other point, for some reason a lot of people didn't like Dead Money but I agree with you. The fact that you go in naked and afraid and have to actually think about your next move rather than just mow down everything with a minigun was refreshing. It also made me feel like a god when I ran it with my melee/explosives build.

And Honest Hearts had the Survivalist. As a /k/ommando I've always been impressed by him as a character and he always comes up in fictional operator threads on /k/ as a fan favorite, not to mention Joshua Graham. The characters were stronger than the story, but I'd still say it was better than Lonesome Road.

I didn't hate it, but it kinda had the atmosphere of a generic horror FPS. It didn't stand out all that much.

OWB > DM >>> LR >>>> HH

If I replay NV again, I'll probably skip HH.

For me it's Old World Blues > Dead Money > Lonesome Road > Honest Hearts

If anything, Dead Money is the one that gets way too much hate.

I'll agree that Joshua Graham and the survivalist are cool, but it really couldn't make up for trudging around that boring map, or the boring setting.

Last time I played NV, I found myself rushing through HH. You ready to go? ...YOU LET THEM DIIIIIEE!

Yeah, I did it real thorough-like the first time I played through HH so I do tend to just kinda rush through to get the gear now when I play, but I still liked it more than Lonesome Road.

And Daniel is a little bitch. The world got destroyed by nuclear fire and you're trying to foster pacifism in a post apocalyptic wilderness when there are enemies at the gates? I've watched Hell On Wheels, that's not how Mormons operate.

Ulysses tries way too hard to sound deeper than he is

If you end up with a whole bunch of people wondering what the fuck your antagonist's motivation was, you did a terrible job of writing them

what would have actually changed if Lonesome Road had been done that way instead?

@44:56

youtube.com/watch?v=qFsDAOsviBc&t=44m56s

I legitimately felt like he was trying to answer a rorschach test

Is hell on wheels any good? I need something to binge while waiting for quarry to roll out

The shit he talked about didn't make sense because ulysses is supposed to be a batshit crazy person. Not because he's actually deep
at least that's how I looked at it, I dunno.

Makes sense when you think about how fucked up he got after his town blew up from an accidental delivery

You honestly could not have worst taste, I think its physically impossible.

>Call me Ulysses.
>No, not the mythical hero known for his grueling journey, hubris, and tremendous perseverance.
>I want to be named after the unimaginative general that went on to become an incredibly mediocre president.

He tried to find meaning in something that had none.

If you like westerns, revenge stories, angry Irishmen, angry negroes, everyone dying, and a historically inaccurate portrait of Doc Durant then it's perfect for you.

Really if you like westerns and you're not a Cred Forumsack since the chief black guy fucks a white whore you'll probably like it. I'm waiting for the second half of the last season to go onto Netflix with baited breath.

A lot of things in his life fucked him up, his tapes sum it up pretty well.

Criticize Dead Money and it might as well be.

No.

>there are people on Cred Forums who hated Old World Blues
>there are people on Cred Forums who refuse to complete Old World Blues
>there are people on Cred Forums who are illiterate and rush through dialogue

>Ulysses walked a hard road. A general, like Caesar and Oliver. He was Brahmin-stubborn, gave him strength on the battlefield.
>He led his side to victory, turned two flags into one.

dude flags lmao, it's thematically appropriate for the game, bear and bull

The story is great but that doesn't mean anything if the gameplay is a fucking mess. And it is a huge mess imo.

I'd have loved to have actually seen information about Hopeville that pieced together the understanding that it was an appreciable place to live.

He's a master scout for the Legion and claims to have seen half the country as it stands. But this place is the ONLY ONE he wanted to give up the Legion to live in and he can't muster a mouse fart about a person in it he cared about, or the lifestyle these people had, or the government. So much of Ulysses' speeches focuses on how horrible losing the place was, and all we get is "it mattered to him".

I'm getting mixed signals here

>A general, like Caesar and Oliver.
An incompetent fuckwit with brain damage?

Watch the first few episodes then. If you like it keep watching, if not stop watching. Not everyone likes the same things so you're never going to get a real consensus just by asking a Bhutanese fly-fishing forum.

The value of the writing being torpedoed by the game is summed up in Christine for me. It would've been real cool to actually see her attempt to mime out to communicate.

well ok

I want a 300 word essay about what Ulysses teaches us about nations and moral consequences on my desk on Monday morning!

>I NEED ESSAYS. ESSAYS OF ULYSSES.

What I want to know is why no one in the Mojave talks about the Divide. Place straight up fucking exploded one day in the last 5 years or so, people would still be mentioning and referencing that sort of thing

Also, how did a community ever thrive there in the first place? It was the site of a Big MT experiment that caused ridiculous storms. Even before all the radioactive dust that can strip a man's flesh got mixed up in it, I don't see how it was any place you'd want to live

He sure rambles a lot but I like how Ulysses is the closest thing to a rival character for the Courier. Convincing him to back down and fight together with you was pretty cool, too

>moral consequences
You accidentally blew up something he loved so he deliberately tries to blow up something you may or may not love in return

So I guess the point the game is trying to make is "if you unwittingly destroy someone's life, hope to god they never figure out you were the one who did it because they might try and get revenge on people who weren't involved to 'punish' you"

And anyway he only blows up places you've literally never been to.

Hey, you walked down the Long 15 at least once to get to Goodsprings

That counts, right

Oh, well yeah now that you mention it. Huh.

You should probably listen to the person who put more thought and effort into their post than just three keystrokes.

So you're saying it's a solid maybe?

I'll give you ~2000 characters.

Ulysses (and, more generally, Lonesome Road) is Chris Avellone's attempt to funnel all of his impotent rage against RPG aficionados into a single pretentious product. It is a desperate condemnation of the tropes that define the genre - the all-powerful and ever-influential PC, the indignity of C&C, and the concept of player ownership.

Ulysses exists to attack the player for questing, essentially. In terms of metanarrative, the PC's courier work in the Divide is just a quest - something they did for the sake of doing. In the eyes of the Player-Courier, it was probably little more than a fetch quest, a simple and ultimately boring job. And yet, this seemingly insignificant quest spelled doom for a man and the community he had grown to love. As players, how often do we really ever consider the impact our actions could have on the game world beyond what the developers saw fit to include? How callous we players are! How ignorant and inhumane our drive for gratification can be! It's an assault on the basic underpinnings of quest design. At one point, Ulysses outright insults the player for their compulsion:
>The why of it? You're the one who needs to answer that - why are you doing this?
We're so mindless!

It's almost as if Avellone is mocking us for even starting the DLC. What is this, Spec Ops: the Line? He goes out of his way to further characterize and develop a relatively blank slate character, to take back ownership of it. We forged are couriers and he had to accommodate that. No more. Remember the Tunnelers? They're Avellone's attempt to retake the entire franchise. Your vision for the Mojave, for the future of New Vegas means nothing in the wake of the inevitable Tunneler invasion. And Ulysses will blame you for it, for destroying Hopeville twice over. It's spite for a franchise that has become less and less his. Avellone is Ulysses.

I'm saying, "Take it easy!"

Tell it to me straight doc I ain't no scientist

I liked it better when Elijah made a snarky point about map markers because it was so hypocritical of him, his own Pip-Boy being fundamental to his control of the situation

Fuck that, The Simpsons Game had a better version of the metanarrative and blamed the developers for putting them in the situation in the first place.

OWB is easily the best. After that it's debatable. DM may have the best 'story', but it has the worst gameplay area. I'd probably put LR ahead of it at least.

DM had the best gameplay, though.

It plays nicely into Elijah's character while still remaining a fairly valid point. Nicely echoes Veronica's line about his reaction to the NCR taking the Dam.

OWB>(DM if it did not have the collar mechanic) HH>LR>DM

Honest Hearts felt like a Fallout game, I like it the best out of the four DLC because of that. While Dead Money was entertaining, the beeping gimmick was shit, so was the cloud bullshit, it felt like it was there just to make the DLC feel longer. Lonesome Road wasn't bad, but the radiation was another gimmick and apart from those non-plant humanoids, there weren't new enemies, also, the story was a clusterfuck and Ulysses was a shit villain that spoke so many vague shit you just end up ignoring him, extremely disappointing, since the basis of the whole fucking game was building his character and the inevitable confrontation as something bigger than live itself. Old World Blues is really fun, I just dislike the setting.

HH>OWB>DM>LR

My only real gripe with DM is the whole radio collar thing, did not add anything to the game. Also ghost perception glitch is kind of annoying and it's weird that it never got patched (to the best of my knowledge)

>Honest Hearts felt like a Fallout game
You watch a bunch of people die, probably accidentally shoot a friendly NPC, do some tedious fetch quests while giant geckos try to violate your anus and then side with a maniac to commit genocide

Oh fuck I totally accidentally shot follow's chalk when I first played this too. I was wondering why I made it all the way to the dead horses camp and didn't meet a single friendly NPC or got a quest besides "get the thing"

It's so boring i didn't complete it, really. To be honest i didn't like the overall setting of New Vegas in the first place.

Swap LR and OWB and you'd be right. Lonesome Road is one of the biggest disappointments I've had in recent years. The main game tells you about the fifth courier almost instantly and that mystery is brought up a few times in the base game. OWB specifically has a metric fuckton to do with Ulysses and hypes him up and I vaguely remember there being ties to Dead Money too, but I can't remember what. Either way, all this build up for a Ulysses and he was the most retardedly written piece of shit in the entire game. His """logic""" for hating the Courier was beyond nonsensical and he was written very verbose, which is annoying. The ultimate conclusion was pretty good and I liked all the shit with ED-E, but the actual setting was shitty and I didn't really like all the nuke stuff. This was the DLC that was supposed to be the best and has the most direct reference to the base game, but it fell flat.

Ulysses and the Divide are mentioned in all the DLCs

I know it's gonna seem like bait but I want to know, did any of you guys think 3's DLC was better?

DM > OWB > The Pitt > Point Lookout > HH > LR > Operation Anchorage >>> Mothership Zeta