Did it actually help you learn instruments?

Did it actually help you learn instruments?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ffrdLPmrrtY
youtube.com/watch?v=dCkZJdNmDTM
youtu.be/GS1JZOAI-vo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What the fuck do you think

well I think they did, I picked up drumming after playing rock band 1 and graduating to expert after doing the free drum mode on rock band 2. What do you think? I want your opinion, that's what I made the thread.

I can honestly say Rock Band/Guitar Hero did help me musically.

They made my fingers faster, which translated to making me faster on sax. Shit's cash.

>tfw harmonix tried so hard to make a comeback but they didn't wait long enough and failed miserably

feels bad, always saw them as the under dogs after EA bought out GH and changed the charts from """"realistic"""" (at least when compared to the real thing) to super epic mega wacky reddit high score youtube arcade meme charts. Always liked rockband a lot more than GH. If only they waited another 2-3 years, I think Rockband 4 would have been much better received.. I'm pretty sure I actually read that madcatz had a deal with harmonix to produce and promote their peripherals, but RB4 flopped so bad that mad catz actually went out of business and/or filed for bankruptcy.

EA owned Rock Band, Activision had GH.

I don't think anything could have helped RB4.

>Did it actually help you learn instruments?
It will help you learn to drum.
It will exercise your singing voice.
It will introduce some guitar fundamentals to you that are better conveyed with Rocksmith.
But mostly, Rock Band will jew you for DLC.

>super epic mega wacky reddit high score youtube arcade meme charts
This isn't why GH turned to shit.
Guitar Freaks has always been an awesome franchise and it's had hard shit that's hard for its own sake. Only difference is that it's fun.

oh yeah, my bad. whatever. i think waiting til the next console gen would have helped them for sure. it was too soon, rockband 3 was, what, 2011? the fad died out, 4-5 years is too soon to try and bring it back. they should have waited at least until the scorpio/ps pro to try again.

Konami massively dropped the ball with the entire Guitar Freaks/Drum Mania line of games but they never localized them and lost out big time. I imported the hell out of them though.

Fuck no
They're still fun regardless

Guitar Hero 2 unironically changed my life

Inspired me to play guitar

>they never localized them and lost out big time
It was never a priority for them. They kept the door open by licensing a few western songs and releasing that turd BMUS, but I am very salty that the last few editions of Bemani are behind a region lock so US operators can't import anymore.

Overall the Japanese arcade market is still alive and quite lucrative. There's never been a reason to pander to our dying ship, before or after Activision crashed the genre.

i was already playing basic guitar when guitar hero came out. i played rock band for the drums and it definitely can get you skill there, but actually playing an acoustic kit vs the toys or even an electric kit is different of course

A lot the drums translated well to real drums. Obviously not perfect, as the 4 pads change to crash/ride and different toms when needed, but still fairly relieable.

Learned basic drums thanks to rock band.

the ion set inspired my friend to take up punk drumming, which is super fucking fast and energetic, and it seems really intense and intricate, and i was a huge fan of punk at the time. I had the standard set, and I had a Pearl set and an actual e-kit myself but I never got into it as much as he did. I wish I did.

had fun w/ guitar hero & rockband
beat that shitty dragonforce song on expert
brother bought me an actual guitar
I now own 4 guitars
I'm only good at tapping

If you want to learn instruments you play Rocksmith, OP...

I meant by starting the craze here in the US and abroad back in the original Playstation days when it first started. There was clearly an untapped market and it took years before Guitar Heroes came out and took full advantage of what they had originally started.

>this but i picked up guitar. Also drumming helped with rythm and picking up drums

rocksmith was such fucking garbage holy shit

another reason harmonix failed

trying to compete with them with their garbage "pro" instruments with real strings and shit.

Yeah, alive and lucrative when every game center is 3 floors of UFO Catchers, 2 floors of pachinko and virtual horse betting, and then 1 floor of card games and a few rhythm games

How is Rocksmith for learning real guitar?

>Rocksmith
>good

almost any beginner tutorial on youtube would be more useful than that game.

I got a real guitar the same year that Rock Band 3 came out. Looking up videos of the Pro Guitar mode actually did help me learn a little bit. Then Rocksmith came out, and really helped a lot.

>mfw seeing this the first time:
youtube.com/watch?v=ffrdLPmrrtY

>faster fingers
I honestly think those games made me better at piano.

Very, very bad.

this, holy shit. i found myself tapping out beats all day during school after RB1 came out. my fingers (and teeth, actually) are fast and accurate as fuck at tapping out mad beats.

Rock Band can teach you the very basics of playing drums but that's about it. One of the biggest flaws is that it only teaches you independent limb control for three of your limbs when you need all four to play on a real drum kit well.

Truth I got really good at expert drums, but behind a real kit I couldn't do much more than play a basic rock beat

RB3 (and maybe 2 if you had the pro kit? I dont recall) actually had double bass, so you got all 4 in the mix. I know RB2 had a kit that offered double kick so at least you could use 2 kick peddles, even if it was only mapped to 1 foot for shit like black dahlia murder, but I believe 3 had an option to have 2 independant kick pedals if i'm not mistaken

Double bass is not by a long shot the most common use for your left foot nor is your left foot actually independent when using a double bass pedal

At worst, it's a computer program that spits out auto-scrolling pretty-looking tabs and attempts to scale the difficulty to how many notes you're hitting while the song plays in the background
Watch some videos and if it seems like it could be more convenient than printing out tabs or whatever you'd be reading to learn songs, go for it

Note that it's pretty lenient on note detection, so you might not realize your technique sounds like shit unless you split your guitar's signal into an amp

rip harmonix

Anybody get into any bands as a result of RB or GH?
I got into Freezepop, Duran Duran, and Rush to name a few.

I honestly would say about 60% of my music, in some way, relates back to Rock Band. The other 40% is my dad and literal dadrock. Even bands that haven't been in Rock Band still tie back one way or another from shit like last.fm recommending it to me.

What kind of cave did you live in where you hadn't heard of Rush or Duran Duran?

Rockband 4 in general was handled so fucking poorly. And then Harmonix tried to fucking crowdfund a PC port. AND THEN HAD THE FUCKING BALLS TO CHARGE FOR ONLINE PLAY.

Countless bands through the rock band network:

>Children of Nova
>Rishloo
>Kiev
>Between the Buried and Me
>of Montreal
>Devin Townsend
>RX Bandits
>Giraffes? Giraffes!

just to name a few

I'd heard of them, obviously. It's just that Gh2 and RB2 got me more into them.

RB4 should've been delayed till this year
sure Rivals is coming out ($150 for full band now)
but to everyone who had the Madcatz one, you're forced to pay $30 for multiplayer

>Play RB3 Pro Drums for 4 years

Now I'm a fukkin master at drums m8

Drums kind of does
Vocals is just actual vocals obviously

But for guitar? Absolutely not, aside from the general fretting/strumming coordination and finger dexterity

sure dude

I was like 12 when Guitar Hero 1 came out. Every step of the journey of my music taste was due to GH and RB influence. Even after music games stopped being made and I had to find music on my own I attribute to these games

pro=/=expert idiot
pro is a literal drum simulation with symbols and toms and all.

It still doesn't use your left foot

youtube.com/watch?v=dCkZJdNmDTM

Damn nigga the hi-hat is so hard.

>muh hihat

youtu.be/GS1JZOAI-vo

Guess this guy sucks since he never uses his hihat in this entire song

it did if you bought the optional hi hat kick, or the optional double bass peddle.

regardless, niether one of those is even close to beginner, you wouldn't pick either a close>open hi hat or a double bass kick when just learning.

Yup, but it's not because of the lack of hi-hat.

Well Baba O Riley sucks no matter how it's drummed.

SUCC

I've heard good things about pro drums.

This is the real deal for guitar and bass though, you can use any guitar none of that bullshit proprietary guitar that was never on stock.

ok but who cares lack of hi hat is so minimal

if you can do the most basic single kick you can do most advanced hi had switching single kick

Harmonix was in bed with the guys behind Bandfuse, a failed Rocksmith, they could've just easily use that tech in RB4 and it would have felt fresh. Rockband with support for real guitar, bass, drums and keyboards. Don't give me that bullshit that it would've been difficult to chart, that shits all over the internet and the way you do custom charts in Rocksmith is literally importing tablature and synching up some parts.

Why would anyone buy RB4 when it feels barebones compared to RB3?

>Dropped keyboard and pro instruments
>Mediocre on-disc setlist
>no Wii U version
It's almost like Harmonix wanted Rock Band 4 to fail.

They even set up that RB4 PC "kickstarter" to fail, launching it on a new site.

They could've launched a kickstarter for RB4 on consoles and PC from the start and managed to get a budget for a real game. This is it, shits over.

It feels to weird to acknowledge that Light Up the Night made it on as an on-disc song and not DLC

I recently got Rock Band 4 and there's two things that I really dislike:
1.They don't change the gender of the singer anymore based on the song.
2.There's far too litle customization options.

1. IIRC there's some complicated way to actually do but I think it's only in career mode s who gives a shit.
2. I was hella disappointed. I wanted to recreate my RB2 character, Fawx hawk I think, the buttoned shirt open with a scarf. And none of that shit is in it. Hell, theres another character I had with 3-D glasses and the Marty McFly jacket and that isn't in either. Fucking 3-D glasses

As someone who never played Rock Band, is 4 worth it?

Play 3, it was my first and it was everything i expected it to be.

Rhythm and dance games just got run into the ground WAAAAAYYYY to fucking hard in the 00s.

This is why you don't go stripmine/scorched earth on every promising fad. It will lose its appeal forever.