How safe are games on Steam?

Do you guys trust Steam long term? What kind of liability to they have for products we "own" through them? Not sure if to backup my games or not.

don't even care about owning games anymore, I used to replay a lot but that's a thing of the past.. I'll never go back to any of those games

I wish those services would just be plain rental services.

Valve is more trustworthy than most companies, mostly because Gabe is an OG who knows his shit and sees gamers as friends. Once he retires or dies, shit will probably get shaky. Piracy will save us all in the long run, like always.

>MUH FREEDUMS!
>LE OWNERSHIP!
Shut the fuck up.

Worst case scenario just pirate them and claim they're your digital backups.

I miss breaking bad

you have a much higher chance of losing a game cd or having it not work on a newer operating system than you do of steam suddenly taking all your game rights away

when it comes to PC games, almost none of my older games even still install

either the installer is busted, or the outdated DRM implementation doesn't work anymore even on the same operating system

Doesn'tGOG allow you to have a GOG version of any Steam games that you already own? I'd be interested in doing that for some of my single player games, saving them to physical media like I used to do. There's something comforting about having that redundancy in case my Internet goes down and I can't download an old game I'm craving.

It's amazing how reluctant people are to let go of physical objects

I still enjoy owning physical books instead of ebooks. Maybe I'm just weird, but it's this weird nostalgia that I have. There's something comforting about the "old world."

Calm down, Lenin.

According to steams policy. You own an indefinite license towards your games. Meaning you own them but only in a form of a license. So in general it is always better to choose piracy for backing up or owning your games

As someone who lost several games that I had when I was a kid, having multiple redundancies is just a habit I've developed. Putting them onto an external and placing them in a box reassures me that some copy of it will always be available, no matter what happens to Valve or the Internet.

Game is a service for me.

I grew up pirate. Disc or cartridge mean jack shit to me. Those are just storage media.

Books are a little different. The differences between physical games and steam games end once they start running on your computer, for the most part. The differences between an e-book and a physical book are continuously present.

nowadays, even if they do install/run, regardless of PC/console, you still need the day 1 patch for it to work decent (or at all)

and who knows how long that will be up

oh wow another gog shill thread

do you retards ever stop

>DUDE LE TALKING TOILET LMAO
>LE CHICAGO SUNROOF XD
>LE SITTING ON CAKE ROFL!1111
better call reddit

Unless it happened overnight it'd be fine.
>download games
>put steam in offline mode

>trusting digital stuff
Physical games for life babyyyy

When something is or becomes 'tangible' then it appears to have more worth/value to people.

It actually does to some degree because you can resell some times ie. antiques, rare vidya, figures, etc. but most of the time they can keep shit because they can't let go of the past and are afraid of the future.

I had a a HARD time letting go of not 'owning' my vidya but 1s and 0s is the future so you better get used to it, senpaitachi.

>The differences between physical games and steam games end once they start running on your computer, for the most part.
That is the worst part about steam for me.
I go to a store, buy a physical copy of a game there, go home, try to install and it still demands that I have a steam account. Steam being a requirement for installing non-valve games is retarded as fuck.

Books are different, I agree.

When you can hold or touch something, you tend to take it more serious or value it more.

Plus sometimes it looks cool to have a shelf full of old, rare, 1st edition books.

But I have thousands of e-books worth tens of thousands of dollars so I'm content with that.

new thread: