Whatever happened to just making fun games?

Whatever happened to just making fun games?

>This video game has an awesome story!
Alright, but it plays like shit. (See: Until Dawn)

>This game looks great!
Alright, but is it fun? (See: ARK)

>This game sends a message!
Alright, but is it fun? (See: any "Message sending" shit.)

I want more games that just focus on making something fun. Screw story, graphic, or politics.

Clustertruck is pretty fun

Every one of you that have ever thought these things needs to take a moment to try and unfuck themselves, because God damn.

To think this you need a huge list of problems, including ignorance of market trends and the effects of advancing technology, a revisionist view of game history, and worst of all, a total misunderstanding of how the various elements of a game interact with each other.

Until Dawn was good for what it was, an interactive horror movie. I enjoyed the shit out of it and would love to see more games like it in the future
Mike is best character

>market trends
>advancing technology
>game history

I don't care I just want a fun video game.

new fun games,
double daggers
redout
downwell
crypt of the necrodancer
neurovoider
magicite
roguelands
juggernaut
steredenn, very nice procedurally generated shmup.
volgarr the Viking

these games are just fun no story to depend on graphics, just boot them and start playinb

Fun isn't a fucking element of a game, it's a quality. Devs aren't sitting around at their fucking budget meetings allocating money and time between "graphic", "story", "politics" and "fun". What makes a game fun is vastly more complex then that, and is directly influenced by those elements you dismiss as superfluous.

And your perception that games used to be more fun is flawed. You mentally edit out the metric shit loads of garbage, highlight the winners, condensing years and years of games into just a handful of selections, and tinge the memories of even those with personal bias.

/thread

Why bother making a game lacking that critical quality?

ARK is fun.

Because no one sets out to make a bad game believe it or not

You say that Until Dawn wasn't fun
I say it was fun
It's almost as if it's just, like, an opinion, man

OP just got shit on

I get that, but why release a game if it's not fun?

Again, just try to follow along here, "fun" is a subjective quality that developers try and achieve through the various elements of their game. Sometimes they succeed, sometimes they do not.

I can't say whether the game is fun or not, I haven't given it a play.

I don't plan on purchasing the game either as it doesn't appeal to me.

Then what the fuck are you even talking about, you overly opinionated piece of garbage?

Everything is fun to someone. And everything thing is boring to someone. There are people who think Fallout 4 is fun. I don't know WHY they they do, but I understand that it's entirely possible for someone to enjoy something that I don't. Doom 2 is some of the tightest shit to ever grace our civilization, but there are people who don't think it's fun. Those people are fucked in the head and I feel sorry for them, but that's still their opinion.

Then they focused on the wrong elements.

Then they focused on the wrong elements, in my opinion.
ftfy

Because people would rather have pretty pictures and get their dicks stroked than play an actually challenging game with satisfying gameplay.
This is why I find myself mostly playing older games.

I just want fun games to be made, chill out.

Well shit man, I didn't realize you were the fucking Isaac Newton of video games. It's good to know someone out there is able to look at every single game, from every single genre, on every single platform, for every single team, and know the exact combination of elements needed to make a fun game. I mean shit, everyone has just been banging their head's against the wall for all this time, when all they needed to do was ask you.

Shit, now they must all feel pretty stupid.

If a game isn't fun, then yes it did focus on the wrong elements.

Fun is, as others have stated, subjective. Though I will agree that the quality of content has gone down. We can blame a number of factors, such as devs focusing more on hype and the short game trailer/reveal at events. Just look at the Division, No Man's Sky, and other games people said is shit. The problem is, people are focusing so hard on making it seem good and appealing, and not taking into consideration replayability.

And, for the whole argument of fun being subjective, can we all agree that if the majority of people who have bought or downloaded the game (60+%) have a shit time, it ain't fun from a community stand point.

If a game isn't fun to me, then yes it did focus on the elements that I don't prefer
ftfy

The Killing Floor games.

Just mindless drop in and have fun shooters. They are 2 in a very short list of games where I 100% got my money's worth and THEN some in terms of fun.

I'm just saying I like fun games. I'm open to suggestions, I just want to have some fun.

Fun is synonymous with being entertained, retard.

Very, very few people will actually try to defend Uncharted as having 'good' or even 'average' gameplay, but it's goddamn successful as all hell because people like having a shitty Indiana Jones/James Bond experience with a thousand one liners, it's entertaining.

Were you actually alive during the 90's, or even the 00's? Because if you were, you should be aware of the massive waves of complete and total dreck that was released by the hundreds.

Quality has only ever gone UP. Increased production costs have lead to fewer risks, meaning fewer exceptional stand outs, but the average game released today is leaps and bounds above an average game released even five years ago.

There's always been fucking shit user, but there's also been some amazing shit too.

You're right that the average game quality went up, but the best games of each year don't seem to be as good as the lasts. And I get that in order to get a batshit amazing game someone's gotta take a risk, and no one is willing. But you gotta admit, it kind of feels shitty knowing you'll never get that same feeling your old favorite games gave you.

That's the thing. The industry is being stifled. We as consumers benefit more from risk takers and experimentation.

Play n++ op