I got Baldur's Gate 1 EE for my birthday from a steam thread (happy birthday hats for me) and I don't know if there's a...

I got Baldur's Gate 1 EE for my birthday from a steam thread (happy birthday hats for me) and I don't know if there's a good first character to start with. I would hate to miss out on a cool guy because I'm filling his goddamn spot.

Maybe a Ranger? I doubt there's like a ranger off the bat.

Other urls found in this thread:

gamefaqs.com/pc/663933-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition/faqs/66126
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Inquisitor, you will be a charisma god.

Warrior generally, kensai especially.
They are the easiest and strongest in most situations.

mage/sorc/druid/cleric
anything without spells is just boring

>no cleric spells
>no turn undead

Nigga no

In general, BG1 favors frontline fighters, but life without spells is kind of boring. I'd recommend multiclass fighter/cleric.

Yeah, but fuck magic. You just take mages to pound town.

Rangers are kinda bad in BG.

They're only in bg2
They're godlike in bg1

Invoker (or was that a class in Icewind Dale, I can't remember)
Just pick a charismatic mage class if you want mid to late game fun.
Warrior is fun all around, thief is... I don't know. I have mixed feelings for thief. Ranger is great as well.

I'm currently playing a fighter / mage and I'm rolling over the game like a bulldozer

No clue about BGII tho

I would argue BG1 favours archers.

gamefaqs.com/pc/663933-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition/faqs/66126

here

its a bit power gamey but you'll get the idea

Kensai/Mage the most fun I've ever had with a dual class

Archer is good throughout

The canonical party that the game assumes you ended up with for the start of BG2 includes a ranger companion, Minsc.
He's a very polarizing character though which many find annoying while others really like his over the top enthusiasm.
Don't worry about having the same class as a companion though. There is literally no reason why you can't have the same class as one or more than one of your companions.

I like to play thief but there is multiple Thief companions in the game already. I personally never go Cleric because Viconia DeVir is the best companion in the game in my opinion and I definitely want her on my team. Edwin is cool too - I think he's a Conjurer. Both of these characters are 'evil' aligned.

Bow Thief / Stealth Archer is the way to go.

Playing a thief is totally viable. Just dual Imoen into a mage, which is supposed to happen anyway.

It's very nice that an user got you a game.

Wild Mage ALL THE WAY!

Fucking love it when your spells go 'wild' and you get a critical success for ultimate awesomeness! Embrace the chaos!

>Using Imoen
>Ever

Come on, mate.. Her fucking "HEYYA! It's me, Imoen!" will literally drive you insane after a few hours. I ended up killing her intentionally on my first playthrough when I was younger, then modded it out for my second playthrough in recent years.

Pretty much

They can kill mobs before even getting to your line, they disrupt casters, and you can kite with them.

They're not as effective against some enemies in 2 compared to fighters with GWW and whatnot, but they're still useful for much of the game.

1 is easy with them

2 they're more supporting

Imoen was pretty much the perfect NPC in the original version. In EE she is worthless.

Archer in 2 is still a great option, his class bonuses really start mattering. Damage is respectable, arrows are infinite and it's by far the fastest class to reach 95% to hit anything.

What did EE change?

>I doubt there's like a ranger off the bat.
You get one fairly early, but it doesn't matter because in BG1, rangers are kings. Basically anything with a ranged weapon and fitting build. Don't play magic types, because they suck until late game.

>make fighter/cleric
>obliterate everything dual wielding flails and morning stars

Honestly, BG1 is fair enough that any sensible combo will work. That, and since its level 1-12ish, you won't get into the really crazy shit. BG2 basically made it mandatory to go full cleric/caster due to how outrageously OP magic was in that version.

No real spoilers, but you basically get set up with the standard Thief, 2 Fighters, Druid and Wizard as your 'starting' party.

The only real downside is that, especially early, a lot of party members will only join if you bring their partner, and both will leave if you dismiss one.

Also not sure if you really care, but the 'canon' party is Rogue, Fighter, Druid, Ranger, Sorc, 'You'.

Updated a few of the rules and nerfed a few of the starting characters especially. She becomes useful again in BG2 where she's multiclassed as a thief/mage, and you get that sweet Bhaalspawn romance in her mod.

This. You DO get a ranger early, but it forces you to dump either your thief or 2 other party members to take him. AND the Ranger has an invisible time-limit where he'll go apeshit and attack you if you take too long to do his sidequest (which is level 7ish), so a lot of people save him till early mid-game to pick up.

It doesn't matter in 2 because Magic dominates the playing field, and a lot of your casters also can use bows regardless.

>Don't play magic types, because they suck until late game.

They're already good from the start if you know how to level up quickly, and once they're in the higher levels they become gods.

>theory
Mage is the most powerful class in BG2
>practice
In the time it takes to set up your sequencers and keep pausing to select spells, a fighter will clear the mob 3 times over.

Viconia is almost a must in ANY party though, hell I take her regardless of alignment since she won't leave unless you get retardedly high reputation anyways.

Fighter is pretty much the best class you can roll in OG BG1. None of the magic classes are worth it since the NPCs will have you covered (and even outperform you) whereas none of the melee oriented classes will be close to being as good as your own Fighter can be with good stats.

Because it takes a ton of time and effort to spam the everloving shit out of Holy Smite with 2 clerics.

Hell until Underdark, you basically only need Flamestrike, Holy Smite and healing spells to nuke your way through every single encounter, and you can do that with 2 characters. Throw in Jaheira and you can compliment that with Insect Swarms utterly negating enemy casters, and you're left with yourself and 2 other chars to meatshield and basic-attack your way to victory.

>EE

Dumb frogposter

based frogfriend dropping some rude truth bombs itt

There is literally nothing wrong with EE.
It doesn't change any of the original game besides the UI and all the new content it introduces is pretty easily ignored.

It's a lazy cashgrab that adds new content that is so fucking bad that it feels like it was developed and written by modern day "devs" i.e people who have no idea what the fuck they are doing.

>it doesn't change any of the original meal except the big chunk of shit over it that is pretty easily ignored

Content which, as I said is pretty easily ignored.
Copies of the original version are pretty hard to come by these days and as long as you know who the EE companions are it plays the exact same way.
Also, it gives you access to classes like inquisitor and wild mage which were not available in the original BG and many mods require you to have EE to work.
The big chunk of shit is more to the side than all over the meal.

>Copies of the original version are pretty hard to come by these days and as long as you know who the EE companions are it plays the exact same way.

Physical copies of all the Infinity Engine games are easy to get because they've had a gorillion prints, reprints and all-in-one collections. Finding the digital versions of the OG ones is harder now via legal means since they removed them from places like GOG. So, pirates win again, as always.

>Also, it gives you access to classes like inquisitor and wild mage which were not available in the original BG and many mods require you to have EE to work.

Tutu exists and it added all of that shit for free. EE is a cashgrab by hacks.

Shit, you're right. I thought gog of all places would keep the originals, but they were not safe from the jew either. Glad I got them years ago.

Isnt the old one with a high res mod better than the EE?

>mfw i'm enjoying the fuck out of EE as my first BG and no nostalgia fag can make me unlike it

>bg2 is 9,97€ in g2a
should I
I loved it back then and I already finished bg:ee

I'm sorry that you feel that way old man.

5 $ on gog for bg 2 EE at the moment