So directx12 is a failure. How long before microsoft is forced to drop it?

So directx12 is a failure. How long before microsoft is forced to drop it?

Other urls found in this thread:

pcworld.com/article/3112663/software/microsoft-made-em-do-it-the-latest-kaby-lake-zen-chips-will-support-only-windows-10.html
theregister.co.uk/2016/09/02/windows_intel_kaby_lake_amd_zen/
pocket-lint.com/news/138955-google-andromeda-os-what-is-it-and-which-devices-will-it-power
github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/3935
pcpartpicker.com/product/LsX2FT/asus-motherboard-z170pro
youtube.com/watch?v=GOlUBdN3UW8
youtube.com/watch?v=Zq8UUkWfshg
blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/directx/2014/09/18/directx-12-lights-up-nvidias-maxwell-launch/
jonpeddie.com/publications/add-in-board-report/
pcgamer.com/total-war-warhammer-dx12-boost-for-amd-still-cant-match-nvidias-dx11-performance/
anandtech.com/show/10585/unpacking-amds-zen-benchmark-is-zen-actually-2-faster-than-broadwell
youtu.be/fYNigmB6sWY
youtube.com/watch?v=3VPIcYkgdCY
techspot.com/review/1114-vram-comparison-test/page5.html
techeye.net/chips/why-kaby-lake-and-zen-is-windows-10-only
game-debate.com/news/21470/amd-steals-huge-chunk-of-gaming-gpu-market-share-from-nvidia
youtube.com/watch?v=aC4Mlhna6kE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Forza 6 on steam is my dream.

>microsoft is forced
My fucking sides. You will convert and that's it because it's not GPU's maker to decide, and even less yourself you little shit.

t. win10 cuck

more like how long till Microsoft tells nVidia and amd to change their products

Vulkan is a failure on DOOM too. Game already ran well on OpenGL, Vulkan introduced stuttering.

for nvidia cucks maybe

#WIN10FAM

They don't need to. All Intel processors from Kaby Lake and all AMD Processors from Zen onwards will only support Windows 10 and 64 Bit Linux instruction sets. 7 and 8 support will be dropped.

Anyone upgrading their CPU in the next two years will have to upgrade to Windows 10 if they want to use Windows.

>Stuttering in VUlkan
Time to replace that obsolete 980ti user. Haven't you heard the 10xx series is out? Gotta upgrade!

Yeah. But Vulkan only made it run as well as Nvidia already did anyway with OpenGL.

>will only support Windows 10
thats only certain functions in the hardware

I have a gtx 680. Should I even bother with steam QB? I don't mind running it on low/med but I need stable 60fps.

Nope. Completely Windows 10 only and even if you tried running Win 7/8 on one there is no driver support from Intel or AMD at all so it's guaranteed to be buggy, unstable and have compatability issues.

pcworld.com/article/3112663/software/microsoft-made-em-do-it-the-latest-kaby-lake-zen-chips-will-support-only-windows-10.html

theregister.co.uk/2016/09/02/windows_intel_kaby_lake_amd_zen/

Its ogre, user.

fuck you're right
i was thinking of earlier cpu's

In a best case scenario you might be right, but older versions of Windows may also not detect the CPUs properly, and they may not work right at all. Its also just going to get worse as time goes on. Older versions of Windows are now a legacy platform and the only real options are to submit to everything that Microsoft decides to do to you with Windows 10, or switch to Linux.

Hopefully Vulkan catches on and DX12 dies out. The drivers are so much simpler that a pair of devs already in a month of development have an open source driver written for AMD hardware capable of running every Vulkan game out there right now at about the same speed as AMD's official driver. For OpenGL that work took years.

>Hopefully Vulkan catches on

>well at least it probably helped AMD cards
>absolutely no change at all
>remains lower in DX12 than a 970 running in DX11

I can't believe I upgraded to windows 10 for fucking dx12

Time for linux!

I get a stable 60 on my 660 on lowest settings (sub-1080p), so a 680 should be fine.

vulkan is already dead

>Time for linux to die!

Fixed. Especially since Google's announcing their new OS next week that's replacing Android and ChromeOS which will completely drop Linux from the back end of both of those.

NSA/CIA/Jew approved I reckon.

>driver support for CPUs

>Vulkan is dead
source?

I went from 90fps to 120 with a 970.
I guess it works on my machine.

I do have better performance on DX12 with WH than DX11. Then again I am on AMD.

>drop the only thing that keeps more tech savvy users open to upgrading to windows 10

You serious?

>he "upgraded" to Vista 2.0: Stasi Edition

Linuxfags are not having a good year, user. Be merciful on them

your mom's pussy is already dead

>switch to Linux
>run Win7 in a VM with passthrough
Problem solved.

You do realize that Android is a Linux distribution right? A totally non-standard one, but it still runs on top of the Linux kernel.

ChromeOS is similarly a Linux distro, and a more standard one. Enough so that you can run a more standard GNU/Linux environment. The Android compatibility layer for ChromeOS in fact uses the next-gen GNU/Linux display api Wayland.

Unless something massively unexpected happens Andromeda is almost certain to be Linux based, and more similar to other next-generation Linux based platforms using the new Bus1 IPC build into the kernel, the low level Wayland API for display, and Vulkan for games.

Where in the past a game made for Android would be built on totally different libraries and use a different graphics API than desktop Linux, now with Andromeda the two may be nearly identical from a games perspective.

pastries? more like pasties

Yes, that is one of the solutions and a lot of people are doing that. Its also the recommended way to run Windows 10 since it denies it direct access to the network hardware making it easier to prevent it from downloading massive amounts of data and allows it to be used just for games.

Though most of the virtualization like that does run directly on the CPU and not on a emulated CPU so lack of Windows 7 support for the new chips may still present a problem. If you plan to run Windows 7 to its EOL in three years your best bet is to upgrade to the best supported hardware you can sometime in the next six months.

I think I read something somewhere about Windows 10 including code to circumvent hypervisors and expose info about the host machine. Probably just Cred Forums blowing smoke though.

Andromeda has been confirmed to be built ground up and dropping the linux back end. At best you might get a forked Wrapper for Vulkan which will embrace its destiny of only ever running mobile games on flagship phones.

The year of Linux has been delayed again. Come back in 2020 or so.

>Andromeda has been confirmed to be built ground up and dropping the linux back end

Source?

>making it easier to prevent it from downloading massive amounts of data and allows it to be used just for games.

How hard is it to do with just a normal 10 install?

I was thinking of dual booting 10 and Linux and VM-ing 7 on 10.

Is it really that much better to just have a Linux OS and VM both 10 and 7 from that?

keep in mind i've never done any sort of dual booting or Virtual machine stuff or used a non windows OS before now

>dual booting 10
wouldnt recommend it

Don't you need two GPUs for that?

pocket-lint.com/news/138955-google-andromeda-os-what-is-it-and-which-devices-will-it-power

Andromeda is built on Google's Fuscia kernels which have been on git for a while. It won't be using a Linux back end.

The advantage of using VMs with passthrough is that you don't have to reboot and you can prevent Windows from having direct access to any hardware other than the GPU you dedicate to it.

The downside is that you need a motherboard that supports passthrough and a kvm switch.

>Dev still not now how to optimized a new API

Remember when Cred Forums shit on Metro 2033 performance because it run shit in Directx 11 with tess on and forced them to used Directx 9 mode?
Me neither.

>It's therefore unclear if Andromeda and Fuchsia are the same or distinct beasts.

That's clearly speculation. Google, Microsoft, and every software company have employees working on kernel projects that usually don't go beyond research projects. The only concrete Andromeda information I've been able to find so far talks about it in terms of server virtualization so its possible that andromeda will achieve its compatibility with android that way.

They won't drop it. It's going through a teething period where devs are trying to learn the new api. The dx12 games released in a couple of years time should be fine as devs probably would have had enough time and experience with it to not totally fuck everthing up like they are now.

Everything was better with DOS. The moment Win95 was released PC became a huge shitshow.

>Microsoft funded game made for a Microsoft platform using Microsoft technologies doesn't know how to use a new Microsoft API when ported to a Microsoft OS

Even DOS was a huge shitshow, remember "DOS ain't done till Lotus won't run"?

Microsoft is back to their worst instincts with Windows 10. The internal motto hasn't changed much: "10 ain't done till Steam won't run"

>went from 70fps with bugged visuals to 120fps and perfect visuals

No stuttering either so get fucked.

>DX11 mode
>People who owned 1070 cards said they can't run it over 60fps with all option at low
>no option to disable in game motion blurr
>despite running like shit the models also looks like plastic.

No matter what performance increased they said, the game still looks and run like shit.

Just look at this shit.

>Nvidia gets mixed results with DX12 and little to no results with Vulkan
>AMD gets straight boost with Vulkan
Why though

Far from being dead Vulkan keeps getting more things using it.

The Vulkan backend for Dolphin was just merged.
github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/3935

Blame Carmack.

True, true, wrong, remedy is shit devs(implying anyone forgot how bad Alan Wake was when it was first came out)

I tried setting up GPU passthrough on my build but it just wouldn't work. As far as I know, I did everything correctly, but exactly 10 minutes and 15 seconds after I boot the VM up, it froze and wouldn't respond until I force closed it. Every single time.

Also, as far as your requirements go, you're a bit wrong:
KVM switch is not needed. Just use a second input on your monitor and switch between the input signals there. As far as KB/M goes, you can passthrough USB slots too, sending them to your Windows.
A compatible CPU is also required, and not every CPU supports it. For example, my I7 3770 supports GPU passthrough, but an i7 3770k doesn't.

Directx12 isn't a failure. It's just that nvidia couldn't properly implement the directx12 API handling part for their drivers. If you look on the dx11 side, they have excellent driver/implementation thus putting AMD in huge shame. The reason AMD cards run fantastic in Vulkan/DX12 is because its not handled by their driver. It's well known that AMDs drivers/Implementation is shit.

>So directx12 is a failure
>Cred Forums
>in charge of understanding anything technical vidya-related ever
DirectX 12, Vulkan, Metal, etc are not exactly in "competition" or "replacements" for DirectX

AMD's drivers are shit. With Vulkan the developer practically develops their own driver, and clearly id is better at that than AMD themselves.

>judging an API by the inability of the developer
Nah man.

this api was made by the company that funded the game tho

The API is excellent and does what it is supposed to do, lessen the burden of overhead and so forth. Plus it's an excellent tool to measure how well a company/developer can implement real code. It's pretty impressive to see the devs behind DOOM did a fine job and the rest are trash.

>Multi-billion dollar game company can't handle new API

>A hobbyist emulator devs(Dolphin) boosted their software by 50% using Directx12 API

TOP KEK

Windows 10 is seriously pushing me away from PC gaming and towards mobile instead.

Remedy is not a multi-billion dollar game company. They have like 2 engine programmers.

why?

Does pcpartpicker.com/product/LsX2FT/asus-motherboard-z170pro and a 6700k support it

Also, assuming i'd just be using w10 for games anyways, I don't really see why i'd need that. I;d be doing my general computer shit on either a seperate linquix or W7 install via dual boot so 99% of my time would be there without 10 even running

That doesn't meant shit if they don't know how to run it.

No question that AMD's Windows driver devs are shit. The devs that AMD hired from the Mesa project to work on their Linux drivers on the other hand are pretty awesome and those drivers have been increasing in quality very rapidly.

Here's the new Unity Vulkan demos which were only just released running on the new RadV Vulkan driver which seems set to be merged into Mesa 13 at the end of the month.
youtube.com/watch?v=GOlUBdN3UW8

There's still some graphical glitches, but both the driver and the Vulkan support in Unity are brand new.

>>A hobbyist emulator devs(Dolphin) boosted their software by 50% using Directx12 API
dolphin emulator is an illegal project though for pirates and theft from nintendo so everyone who works on it are criminals. and its well known that criminals are unethical about theft from everyone. the criminal dolphin devs probably stole (oh sorry "pirated") that performance from some other dev. normal companies can't do that you fuckd retard.

>AMD's drivers are shit.
When will this meme die?

You need VT-x and VT-d. I know your CPU supports it at least.

Also know that you need 2 GPUs. You can use the motherboard/CPU's internal GPU to render Linux, but I bought a separate GPU instead.

When using passthrough you have to isolate the hardware slot for your GPU so you can send it to a VM. This makes it impossible to use that slot for anything but that VM, so you'll need something else to display your base OS.

Are you okay?

When it stops being true

i.e. never

Single GPU?

Nvidiots need their paycheck to buy food man, leave them alone.

But they're, there is a huge overhead when dealing with DX10/11 and OpenGL. You have no idea, please remove yourself.

How so? Mobile offers nothing.

Two GPUs, no SLI of course. Had an Nvidia GTX560Ti for Linux, and a GTX770 for the VM.

Its something you'll have to google for yourself.

I'm basically full time on Linux since compared to a few years ago there's tons of games. The only thing I use virtualization for is spinning up servers quickly so I haven't bothered researching passthrough.

Do you have a better explanation?

Works on my machine :^)

I disagree, the quality of games is slowly getting there. The problem is there's a gigantic pile of shit which floats to the top and hides all the good stuff.
I'm not a huge fan of the common business models but some games do it right and don't let the payments get in the way of the gameplay.

I see a lot of games which use 2D artwork quite well, something I though was dying since even handhelds like the Vita/DS now prefer to use cheap and shit looking 3D models for everything.

Then you have some mobage like Starlight Stage which have very good 2D and 3D artwork.

I don't think the market is quite there yet, but in a few years I think there will be enough good games out there to where I don't largely ignore them.

Lastly, I don't see a lot of CoD clones, walking simulators and movie games like PC and consoles are currently plagued with. Mobile games live and die on their gameplay mechanics.

Very efficient threading model that actually makes use of AMD architecures, unlike DX9-11 which greatly favors Nvidia hardware.

keep dreaming, not gonna happen just like other M$ flagship games (gow4, forza horizon 3, halo) will never come to steam

My sapphire 290 performs at 980 level these days.

I've owned multiple GPU's from both companies, and both have their share of driver problems. AMD's driver support has actually improved greatly over the last couple of year, whereas NVIDIA has dropped the ball multiple times with the 970, game-ready drivers crashing games and NVIDIA sponsored games running like ass.

>Starlight Stage
>Idol game

Yeah, stick with your shitty weeb phone game.

>Vulkan introduced stuttering.

hahahahahah i had 80-180 on ultra no stuttering with 8x TXAA - gtx 1060, upgrade your ancient gpu fag

Rumors a shit. Google won't drop the Linux backend because it means they miss out on an otherwise massive development community. Google wants the lowest cost device possible and their Linux-derived devices do exactly that. More importantly, they don't want to break backwards compatibility with their existing marketplace.

Compare OSX (a crap, but Unix, derived OS) to AmigaOS. Oracle won't even give up Solaris, Google won't give up Android. There's too much collected knowledge and experience sitting on the table.

Not that user, but VM pass through is a pretty fucking awesome option for someone getting sick of a major OS, and if you plan to game in your VM primarily/exclusively (probably the case for someone running FOSS as their host) then as you say IGP or dirt cheap old GPU is fine. Hell, might even be BETTER because it'll be easy to get perfect support for an older GPU under anything, then run the pricey newer one in windows.

It is actually possible to do GUI/text output headless FWIW but in a typical home setting it has no point at all, much better to just have two local GPUs. Hell it's so easy better anyway. For fun though a year or two back when I was sharing an apartment building with some other bros we played with setting up a central server with a few beefy GPUs, plenty of memory, and VM instances anyone could fire up as basically a shared network gaming multi instance so then everyone could run whatever, and video would go out over out 10Gbase-T net. Lag was no issue on a small high speed LAN. It was mainly for just for the nerd fun of it though even if it was a hoot to have max settings 60 fps games on a shitty notebook even. Would make less then zero sense 99% of the time.

What's shitty about it?
Please explain.

I find it to be a well made rhythm game.

>Mobile games live and die on their gameplay mechanics.
That's bullshit and you know it.

Your definition of phone game quality is pretty shit if you used that shit game as a placeholder of "Good game"

>implying amd drivers are always perfect

I had plenty of issues with 7850, my both friends with r9 280x and r9 390 too

>implying 290 isn't outdated card
>implying every game-ready drivers crashing games

which was never the case for my gtx 1060

>implying only nvidia games runs like ass

I guess you fag should play Deus Ex Mankind DIvided, amd sponsored game and runs like absolute shit, it's unplayable without newest i7 oced. At least nvidia sponsored games are playable on amd hardware (witcher 3, r6 siege, batman ak) while amd sponsored games are literally UNPLAYABLE on NVIDIA gpus.

Fuck you AMD.

lmao ancient gpu fag

kys

It's more true in the mobile market than PC/consoles.
You can't just make a super cinematic graphical showpiece and sell that.
You need some kind of hook that people enjoy or the game will fail.

You've said it's shit twice now, I'm asking you to explain why you feel that way.

The ONLY game I would like from the Win10 store is Killer Instinct

So not worth upgrading yet.

>At least nvidia sponsored games are playable on amd hardware

Like Project Cars?

I wan't claiming any of those things, you autist.

Remember guys
>"It's meant to be paid"

Yeah, from the reading I've done about Fuscia it sounds more like a platform for tiny embedded devices or something you could run as a very minimal OS for virtual servers. Not really something meant to run a consumer grade OS for more powerful devices.

My assumption is that Google and GNU/Linux will continue to come closer together because of the advantages of being on a larger more common underlying platform. Already we're seeing things like Wayland being able to use the same binary drivers as Android, and Android able to use the same open source graphics drivers that you would on more typical GNU/Linux distros.

>"I can't read", the post

The hook being menial job simulation or franchise whoring. Rhythm games are as deep as mobile gaming gets.

> I'm asking you to explain why you feel that way

There are tons of good rhythm game for PC, i don't know what kind of brain damage you got thinking that any touch screen game is good.
You can't even name any other GOOD games beside that one.

>Nvidia drivers known to brick your gpu after one year
>"It's not true for my gpu that is three months old!"
Typical shill.

>Deus Ex Mankind DIvided

It will be very interesting to see how the upcoming Linux release will run since it won't have the crippling Denuvo DRM and will possibly support Vulkan.

This is the same that happened with DX11, everyone said DX11 was worse performance than DX9

Devs need time to get use to the new API & Nvidia/AMD need to step it up with their drivers
Nvidia famously released that DX11 driver that skyrocketed all DX11 performance, more of that please

I don't think it's possible to run it maxed at 3k with 70fps using a 980 though, which was easily achieved with my 390x (including nightmare textures and all)

If that's what you think then you are looking at games that don't interest you.
I can't blame you because there are so many mobile games and no good way to filter them, I have no idea where to look for reviews myself either.
What I'm saying is that a few gems exist, what I like will certainly be different from what you like but I know real companies are slowly starting to make real games for mobile platforms and in the next few years that's going to continue.
I'm optimistic about it. Best case scenario is we essentially see new GBA games being released.

I'm asking for a single fact to back up your claim that something is shit.
It's okay for you to dislike it irrationally but that doesn't make it shit.

>Alan Wake
fuck that game

nu remedy are terrible developers

hardly news since they've been sucking microshit exclusivity for over a decade now

>Always buys lowest-tier GPU in the lineup
>Somehow surprised his games still run like ass
top kek user

>Nvidia famously released that DX11 driver that skyrocketed all DX11 performance, more of that please

DX11 drivers have to do a lot more than the drivers for low level APIs like DX12 or Vulkan. If the hardware to support it isn't there, which seems to be the problem with older Nvidia cards, there isn't much they can do to improve the performance.

DXMD ran at 80-90 fps on my 4 year old system upgraded GTX1080 with all maxed out.

I honestly think the performance is justified when taking lighting effects, area size, texture quality and the amount of clutter objects into account. You don't pay much attention to all the trash that lies around, wires, screens, ad screens etc, but they do add a lot to the atmosphere of the world and make it feel less empty and sterile

>there are people on this board who gave up their privacy for this steaming pile of pajeet-code known as DirectX 12

so much fucking this.

Hilariously every single one of microsofts UWP Windows 10 games are horrible ports of the xboner version and are so buggy, unstable and run so bad i literally cant play them

Forza Horizion 3 is unplayable
Gears of War Ultimate was apparently the same

Only games that worked for me was the Halo Forge and Forza Apex

other devs like Nixxes did a horrible job of porting Mankind Divided and Rise of the Tomb Raider that barely anyone gets over 30-50fps

Didn't some cracked copy of a Windows Store game get a performance boost?

The only real performance "issue" in MD (aside from stuttering if you use a slow HDD) is when MSAA is used, which is completely expected in a game using deferred lighting as I presume it does. The option is only there for future proofing, but people get surprised when their 970 can't handle 8x MSAA at 1080p.

Sure love those garbage chips from your precious "honest" AMD, don't you?

>UWP Windows 10 games
That's a strange way of writing "Games for Windows Live 2.0"

lol this post is so misguided

Sure Ayymd are in a bit of a slump right now but the rx480 and 390 are decent for the money and they actually support dx12 vulkan and whatever comes next properly unlike nvidia which just gimp their way through everything by forcing games to turn effects off in drivers to get better fps

hardware wise ayymd are complete trash reliability wise ever 290 and 390 ive ever got had some sort of overheating issue i fixed my 390x by taking the stock fans off and ziptieing 2 12cm fans to it and it still gets pretty warm

>garbage chips
>honesty

Don't forget hitman. That piece of shit amd sponsored game can't even stay at a locked 60 fps on medium settings on my 980. Amd spondored games always run like absolute dogshit and I'd rather buy something like rise of the tomb raider or witcher 3 two times over just so nvidia gets my money over amd. Fucking cancerous company. I hope amd die a fiery death and Samsung buy them up to actually make good products rather than the house fire garbage they're putting out right now. Amd are literally halting the gpu and pc gaming industry right now.

The whole point of UWP is to push more PC developers to the Xbox while giving Microsoft even more ability to degrade the gaming experience on the PC to force equality with their console.

>It's okay for you to dislike it irrationally but that doesn't make it shit.

Its a mother fucking touch screen game on a fucking phone, you got shit taste for liking it.

I get the feeling it's just bad devs.
BF1 runs way better on dx12

Cracked copy of what Quantum Break?

Nah it was some weird bypass that never worked on anything else as far as i know
Tell me about it my experiance with forza horizion 3 was hilariously bad and put me off ever using windows store again
>Payment services wouldnt work with my debt card or paypal so i had to purchase a $100aud gift card
>Still couldnt buy the game with that so i spammed the pay with gift card and it eventually worked
>Game took ages to download even though i had a decent connection
>Finallly set the game up and get into it and it runs at 17-30fps and crashes on the opening race
>next day i boot it up and its still a pos
>Windows shits itself due to what i can only assume was Earhorn from w10 store stay far away
>reinstall the game to HDD instead
>miracilously the game jumps up to 60-100fps on ultra with my little i5 and 390x
>Next day goes down to 30-60fps again and starts crashing for no reason
>Now Single Player is unplayable because every time i go for a barn find or AI Race it crashes

REEEEEEEEEEEE ive literally never played such a bad game and i bought Mankind divided at launch which is the 2nd worst game ive played this year

ITT: entitled kids

did you read about the new on the fly 256bit AES Encryption they use for FH3 and HF?

Ruskies already cracking it and its useless and just degrades the fuck out of performance on every single system

its been over a week and fh3 still isnt playable
you mean the beta?

Ironically i found DX11 ran the same if not better

depends on your system i am not cpu bound yet as i only have a i5 4690 4ghz and a 390x but ill have to upgrade soon my cpu is getting chewed out to 50-90% in alot of games barely running 60-100fps too

>phone games are bad because they are phone games
As expected of Cred Forums.

W-why is his hand has that whiteish goop on a first image
w-why are they blushing

It's not that I don't believe you but

>$100aud
>Aussie
>i had a decent connection

>Alan Wake
>fuck that game
how do you even live with taste that bad?

Reminder that amd's "longer" driver support stemmed from them releasing rebrands year after year which allowed their driver team to optimise for one gpu but those same driver optimizations trickled down to all the other rebrand versions of the same gpu (eg 290/390)

Reminder that amd have already dropped driver support for the r9 3xx series as is evident in fh3 where all 3xx cards are getting tragic performance and crashing issues whereas their recent gpu are fine

>Buying reference cards
My 290 doesn't get above 74 degrees.

t. autist that will never get to play the games he wants and resorts to shitpost on Cred Forums instead

He's doing better than you, pham. Kill yourself

Look at the logo in the bottom left. He touched an nVidia card and his fingers are melting now

>he still uses a pirated version of win7

Kek

AMD ran out of memory to render everything

>just merged
>probably a week ago and nobody givees a shit
>15 hrs ago

oh shit user
have you tried it?

>nvidia gets you pussy
>all that stick cum on his hand after a fingerblast session

>amd is some beta white guy

I've had no similar issues on my older first-gen GCN card with the open source AMD drivers.

Good fast open source drivers are really going to change things massively because anyone can look into and fix performance regressions there is no room for a vendor to slip in updates intended to degrade performance.

Of course Nvidia has responded to the increasing quality of the open drivers by moving to signed firmware that locks them out even more than their previous step of making it nearly impossible for them to implement reclocking did.

Nvidia sucks at dx12 support..
Amd has no problem with it so its not the api's fault

im serious user the game is like stuck at 47fps again just like in the digital foundary video its so annoying

got a powercolor 390x pcs+ it runs pretty cool but what i am saying is 390s and 290s in general run fucking HOT

Not yet, but other people have been benchmarking it and seeing stuff like 25% performance improvements.

I've had too many problems building drivers from Git so I'm just waiting for RadV to get merged into the stable branch before trying Vulkan stuff out with my GPU.

What the fuck is Microsofts problem just recently?

Are they trying to ruin computers and computing? Because it seems like it.

thats because they laid all the groundwork for dx12 and vulkan by open sourcing mantle

Nvidia did exactly jack shit and contributed nothing and still use outdated architecture from 2010 that cant anti ayysync compute, parallel workloads and does sttuff like task sheduling (like hyper threading) in software rather than hardware like ayymd

new ceo is literally a currynigger so what do you think user?

personally they havent been the same since gates left the company in 2006 just after the vista blunder

ironically w10 is a good os its just too much like a console in that winshit are making games uwp/windows store exclusive

>being mad that you bought NVIDIA shit

Love when you poor cunts attempt irony.

1080 sli here by the way.

t. Retard

Mantle did fuck all except quicken the development pace of these new api. Dx12 isn't based on mantle at all and vulkan was in development wayyy before mantle as glnext. Amd donating some mantle code to the khronos group just made the development process faster.

And your claims of nvidia doing jack shit is objectively false. They were involved in the development of glnext even before amd got involved by donating mantle code. The same goes for directx development. Nvidia have been a big player in the development of api such as dx11 and dx12. Also only maxwell doesn't have full compute support. Kepler and previous did have a hardware scheduler.

Now go away.

High performance gaming PCs are a niche market. The cost of consumer grade hardware capable of running apps and casual games at the most common resolutions for Windows desktops 1920x1080 and 1366x768 meanwhile keeps going down.

Devices like the Raspberry Pi are the death of the PC as we've known it as a mass market product. It doesn't make sense for a business to spend $300 on a Dell where Windows is 10% of the cost if they can get a complete system capable of doing what they need to do for 10% of the cost. Microsoft knows that the future is small very cheap SOC based systems where selling Windows or even some of their other big money makers like Office will no longer make sense.

That's why they're shifting to a data-mining/advertising based revenue model for Windows. That's why they're trying to push developers into their console walled garden before cheap SOC based low-end gaming PCs running free software can catch on.

>You will never pirate RAM from other Anons

>computers and computing

D3D12 and Vulkan are both descended from Mantle. You can do a diff on the documentation and you'll find tons of lines that are verbatim lifted from the Mantle docs. Sure there were efforts within both groups to make their own next-gen APIs but when Mantle was opened to them those efforts were pulled in to a more Mantle-like direction.

>all these sources

sure told him

t. nvidicuck

how come nvidias vulkan and dx12 performance says other wise?

they gain literally nothing and some cards even preform worse under the newer api's

>Hurr amd's dx11 drivers are bad
not their fault most devs are cucks and get bribed by nvidia now is it?

You're full of shit.

No. Both dx12 and glnext were in development way before mantle and just because they share the same fundemental goal it doesn't mean they're the same. Of course there will be many similarities between them but they also have very similar lines of code to shit like apples metal api. Saying mantle brought upon these new api is a false lie.

Learn to use Google.

because AMD is like 6 years+ ahead in terms of API and gpu architecture

nvidia is using the same old shit since the 8800 they literally havent changed anything except upped the shader numbers each time

Which is why a 390x and fury x will kick a 1070s ass in doom but get assfucked in everything else apart from a couple of dx12 games

AMD are clawing back some marketshare now at least so hopefully when everyone and their dog has a vega and zen combo they will get better optimization.

So you don't actually have a source for your claims?

>Remedy fucks up and releases the worst PC port of the year, almost Arkham Knight levels of bad and barely fixes it
>It's DirectX 12's fault

I don't understand the logic Cred Forums uses for these things.

AMD cards shit even on non-GameWorks games.

Depending on your machine, vulkan drastically reduces the stuttering:
youtube.com/watch?v=Zq8UUkWfshg

But you don't need to get mad at vulkan.
It is a good thing, a very good thing.
It cripples Windows 10 by giving high 3D performance to EVERYTHING (win7-8,linux,android etc..), makes lower end PCs be able to play more visually complex games.
Also it makes easier to make video drivers, because the driver is a fuckton easier to write for, what could help some company like power VR to compete on PC again.

Not a chance. Everyone got an fps boost from vulkan - AMD just got a far bigger one.

So you can't copy and paste into a Google search bar?

Fuck off nigger it's already hard posting from mobile as it is.

*shit themselves
Oops.

Every android phone on the market that will be sold from the end of this year and so forth will support and pretty much enforce it.

>t. salty nvidiot

Show me a source that says nvidia contributed anything to DX12?

Im waiting...

Lol why do you think fucking microsoft and sony picked AMD hardware in their consoles?

Because its future proof and punches above its weight.

if they got contempory nvidia hardware at the time like a gtx 680 it would have shat itself worse than the ps3's horrible gpu
then how come i get 60-100fps+ in every game?

AMD having bad drivers are a meme, go on Nvidia forums and look at the amount of 1060 1070 and 1080 owners having problems

It didn't bring them on, but once it was there the new APIs were rebased on top of it.

The biggest advantage of this is that were D3D and OpenGL were very different in how the APIs worked and what you needed to do to optimize for them resulting in difficulty porting for good results D3D12 and Vulkan are much more similar and should make it easier for developers to port games even if they make the mistake of targeting the only non-UNIX platform with proprietary APIs first.

>phoneposters

>Learn to use Google.
You convinced me with your serious argument that was backed up by all the proof and evidence!

This is how serious sophisticated adults discuss things!

What's you GPU?

Its why Nvidia will never actually give fermi support for DX12 despite claiming they would do so. The housefire causing hardware scheduler would make some of their newer architectures look rather poor in comparison.

Side note: GCN still has a hardware scheduler.

Can't wait for devs to include more vulkan and dx12 in games

3D Xpoint will also be awesome

Future lookin so bright

doesnt directx11 make your gpus hot as hell though?

iLeakStuff please go and stay go.

390x stock

i only play at 1080p 60hz so its not really stressed
all windows 10 store games are dx12

apex runs amazing as does halo forge

Its not the API that is shit, is the devs.

They bow have to deal with more shit and they suck at it.

For this game in particular or in general?
If in general, no.

Gears of War Ultimate is fixed now actually. Too bad multi is dead.

thats DX12 and only AMD gpus on games that are unoptimized as fuck like mankind divided

I'm guessing you're not playing your games on ultra/maxed out, in which case it is pretty easy to get 60+ fps indeed.

is it? Fuck i was gonna jump on that at some point.

if the new gow is good ill get that instead

i played the fuck out of gow 1 and 2 with mates so replaying them alone gives me bad feels since im a n33t with no mates anymore

gow3 was awesome how does it look on pc? i remember mp being fun as fuck on 360 with horde coop

3dxpoint will be locked up in corporate basement, it's too good to be true.

nah they are maxed out just dont run msaa

i badly need to upgrade to 4k at some point because i sit fairly close to my 26" and 48" monitor and tv but im waiting for amd's answer to the 1080 and titan x pascal

They're working on consumer grade hardware RIGHT NOW

in fact it was a target of their development, high end gaming machines (one of them)

daily reminder

>the new hit game from david cage
>missing anything

Do we have an ETA on Vega?

I know but they were working on HVD discs as well in the past.

I'm sure these people are already aware

GoW 2 and 3 aren't on PC unfortunately, only the first and new one.

>Show me a source that says nvidia contributed anything to DX12?

blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/directx/2014/09/18/directx-12-lights-up-nvidias-maxwell-launch/

Developing an API requires working in a graphics stack where many pieces are constantly changing: the graphics kernel, hardware specific kernel drivers, the API, hardware specific user-mode drivers, and the app itself. Adding new features and fixing bugs in such an environment requires the owners of each piece to work together in real-time to solve problems together. For several months, NVIDIA’s engineers worked closely with us in a zero-latency environment. When we encountered bugs, NVIDIA was right there with us to help investigate. When we needed new driver features to make something run, NVIDIA set an aggressive implementation date and then met that date.

>Lol why do you think fucking microsoft and sony picked AMD hardware in their consoles?

You say this like they had a choice. Nvidia themselves admitted they weren't even in the running for the new consoles because they didn't have the manufacturing capability at the time which we all know really meant they didn't see it as being profitable. Again, Google is your friend. The new Nintendo console is nvidia re entering the gpu market with their mobile gpu.

You don't need drivers.

Yeah we'll see, but this is something that people want

holy fuck i wondered what that was

system restore fixed it when i went to update again it was fine

lol
nope but i reckon mid next year at the earliest
>nvidia
>dx12
>maxwell
>2014
HSASHHSHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Works on my machine :^)

daily reminder

You and I both know that quantum break chart is bullshit due to presentmon not really handling DirectFlip at the time.

Nvidia is fucked over long term if the industry stays on x86 because Intel blocked them from getting a license. That means that as PCs increasingly switch to SOC hardware over the next few years Nvidia is locked out stuck in the more expensive discrete graphics market which means more expensive boards with multiple chips.

Their biggest hope is that Intel does something to fuck up the x86 market, like killing off AMD so that the industry will start its shift to ARM earlier where Nvidia has the ability to produce SOC hardware.

Shit would destroy SSDs, sadly it wont be cheaper.

And it would have to be PCIe based.

what? that fucking sucks

gow 2 and 3 not getting a remaster is such horseshit they are the most fun

>How long before AMD is forced to drop GPU market?

There's no way they allow it if they can't build a two year product cycle on it. It's against everything that is capitalism.

Thanks, good read

>industry shifting to arm
we tried that with powerpc and it didnt end very well now did it

pc will always be x86 territory

let the mobileshitters have arm they are shit

Well the technology is still fledgling as fuck, so they'll probably just drop it at retardo prices like $500 - 1000 for the first batch

Even more amusingly despite Cred Forums and Cred Forums's retardation AMD have been clawing back dgpu marketshare since they rebranded hawaii.

jonpeddie.com/publications/add-in-board-report/

A 10% gain in about a year is a good trend.

>shipments

Try again.

SOC PC's sounds dumb, instead of changing your graphics card every two years now you have to change your APU and probably your motherboard as well.

That's perfectly okay if you buy one and you die from natural causes sixty years later before it breaks.

>steam survey is totally accurate guise

Nvidia are fine. They aren't trying to chase Intel or amd in that market and never will.

remember when there was rumors of motherboards going SOC and everyone went insane?

>because Intel blocked them from getting a license

>discarding all the other games shown

pcgamer.com/total-war-warhammer-dx12-boost-for-amd-still-cant-match-nvidias-dx11-performance/

for now

they could still go full 90s apple quickly especially how now they are driving up gpu prices and doing shady shit like disabling effects in 37x drivers

It won't.
If you look up the boosts something like a 6970 has gotten over the years, especially if you track the rebreands, yes: AMD has shit drivers.

Nvidia is in a similar camp, just with less shitty initial drivers.

lol the 6970 is literally a 5970 which was the first dx11 card ever

its 7 years old who the fuck still uses one of those?

people with 7970s on the other hand reported amazing performance

>You will convert
No. I'd rather switch to Linux. With or without mainstream support.
Fuck Windows 10.

I have amazing performance on LOW too user

Intel owns x86, they licensed it to AMD forever ago so they wouldn't get hammered by the US gov't for having a monopoly. This means no one can make x86 chips besides AMD and Intel. Furthermore, if AMD is bought by someone, the license doesn't transfer over. Realistically Intel would have to license x86 to someone else to prevent a monopoly though. Intel is generally a dick to Nvidia, they stopped supporting Nvidia chipsets on Intel motherboards and refuse to license x86 chips which would mean three competitors in the desktop CPU market. That's mostly why Nvidia moved to ARM with their Tegra chip.

enjoy no games

i ran ubuntu years back for like 6 months and it was horrible

say what you want about windows but at least it fucking works and has support

linux gets assfucked and the only solution is so emulate windows

More accurate than shipments. Nevertheless it's safe to assume nvidia hold 70/80%+ market share of sold units.

Like it or not if Intel becomes the single x86 vendor the industry will shift away from it. Its happened before ironically enough to PPC despite IBM's efforts. Binary compatibility with x86 software would be a huge loss for the PC but we've dealt with and recovered from similar losses in the past.

The vast majority of users never upgrade their components. As the cost of hardware continues to fall there's going to be more and more pressure pushing the industry towards single chip solutions.

I don't think high performance systems built from discrete components are going to go anywhere any time soon for high end gaming, but we are likely to see the middle of the industry dry up and split into cheap low end SOC based systems and more expensive enthusiast class systems.

The 5850 was the first dx11 card.

>tfw we could have CPUs from Nvidia instead this inferior cheap AMD crap

"nice things", etc

>Like it or not if Intel becomes the single x86 vendor the industry will shift away from it. Its happened before ironically enough to PPC despite IBM's efforts. Binary compatibility with x86 software would be a huge loss for the PC but we've dealt with and recovered from similar losses in the past.
Explain?

What losses did we adapt from in the past?

youngfag born in 91 here so all i remember is the downfall of PPC

My bad, i confused the 6xxx and the 7xxx series.
7970 is R9 370x is i remember correctly.

Or you could buy intel???

GPU war threads are fucking cancer, already worse than console wars.

>AMD sucks xDD
>no it's nvidia lol :^)
>u just poor kek
>good goy lmao

And these are the same people that call consolefags "peasants".

Yeah but imagine ACTUAL GOOD alternative from Nvidia

Like, competitive level to Intel in quality, not pathetic price comp from AMD niggers

>Devices like the Raspberry Pi are the death of the PC
>Can't multitask on Pi
>Takes five minutes to load an application

Wut?

>CPUs more expensive than Intel
>have to change them more frequently
>single core 9GHz
Yeah, nice things.

Lol imagine a nvidia cpu/gpu

>windows 10 exclusive
>founders edition $100+ more for no reason for a 'reference' soc
>exclusive features tied into drivers and nvidia only games
>stupid shit like locking out overclocking unless you buy a unlock card
intel tried to actually do the above card unlock thing and it did not go down well
isnt the 370 and 380 totally a new gpu?

only the 390 was a rebranded 290 as far as i know

Fuckkk

That would actually be fucking sick. Two GOAT companies going head to head with each other instead of some curry nigger amd shit which is allowing Intel to rip us all off.

>years back
Linux only got Steam 3 years ago. In those three years it has gone from 0 games on Steam with only a handful of old games from Id and Epic outside of Steam to now having 25% of the entire Steam game library with even more games available outside of Steam from sources like GoG.

Using a compatibility layer for older Windows software still works of course (Windows 10 also runs older Windows software through a similar compatibility layer) but its less necessary than it used to be and is only really required for abandoned games like NoLF or VtMB

It's not entirely AMD's fault their CPU's suck. They came up with a creative way to double core count by putting two cores together on the same pipeline as opposed to Intel's typical way of just having multiple discrete cores and using hyperthreading to increase performance. Unfortunately no one took advantage of it at all, which is why programs read AMD's chips as having half as many cores as they actually do. So basically they end up sucking simply because it's too different from the way Intel works.

>isnt the 370 and 380 totally a new gpu?
No.
Welcome to every GPU lineup, ever.

funny thing is ive owned tonnes of cards over the years from both and every time the nvidia card shits itself and also ages like shit and has had more driver problems on average and stability problems as well.

Optimization early on is better unfortunately but amd always catches up, well used to.

AMD hardware does age better

shame the 290 and 390 had so many issues and still do be cause they are actually really nice old cards that never got the love they deserved.

amd havent made a 'new' cpu since 2012 their cpu's as of right now fucking suck and run hotter than the surface of the sun

145watt 9950x or whatever its called is insane at like 5ghz and cant even catch up to a moderate 4 core i5

then again i havent used amd cpu's for gaming since late 200x

Its not too difficult to explain. If Intel goes from having virtually no competition to actually having no competition their only competitor will be their own old hardware. In that environment we'll see prices spiraling upward as they'll have no reason to bring prices down with the captive market forced to pay whatever Intel wants to charge.

AMD already saved us from this scenario once when Intel wanted to push the industry onto their new proprietary Itanium architecture but Intel nearly killed them in the aftermath of AMD64 through illegal acts from which they've never really recovered. We'll see what happens with Zen, but Microsoft restricting Zen from running on old versions of Windows doesn't seem like it will help them.

As for similar problems being born in 91 you'll be too young to remember gaming being on DOS, Commodore 64 or Amiga. True those were nowhere near the level of Windows current market but when they went away it was a loss that took years to recover from. Today thankfully we have emulators or compatibility layers that make their libraries available to us.

If win32 goes away thankfully we won't be left starting from scratch since Wine already exists and is in some cases already better than Microsoft's own win32 compatibility layer in the latest version of Windows. Wine could in the near future replace Microsoft's own efforts at compatibility in much the same way that DOSbox did. However right now Wine tops off at DX9 support which means that DX11 and 12 games could be stuck in limbo.

thanks for that detailed as fug explanation.

Seriously though if AMD does go tits up and say ARM buys them could you really see people moving away from x86?

AMD are sitting at 30% in the gpu market and have the console sales propping them up atm.

Hopefully with Zen alot of people will jump ship

Windows 10 crap over 8 so i dunno why people are refusing to upgrade from 7 as well.

Quantum Break was a rare beast in that usually DX12 games dont get backported to 11 especially 1st party microsoft games

Nvidia pulls the same illegal shit against AMD but most people here don't remember that.

you are full of shit you fucking faggot

>which is why programs read AMD's chips as having half as many cores as they actually do
That's actually not a bad way for programs that rely on single thread performance to handle them, at least if its using one core per module.

One of Bulldozer's big weaknesses was that Windows 7 saw its modules as just two discrete cores and then dumped workloads on them without any concept of the shared resources. This meant that in many cases module 1 would be over utilized with module 2 seeing lighter loads and modules 3 & 4 sitting idle. On more modern OSes like Linux or the latest Windows the modules are better utilized.

>amd havent made a 'new' cpu since 2012

If you're talking about just the discrete CPUs then that's technically correct, but it ignores AMD's SOC and APU parts. Zen is their big hope for the future and its not that far off now that AM4 boards are apparently in production.

>. Zen is their big hope for the future and its not that far off now that AM4 boards are apparently in production.

HP are already selling an AM4 machine (though its not using zen obviously). Speaking of Intel is worried about Zen in the laptop space due to the rather sizable lead AMD has on the igpu front if AMD can get cpu performance upto par within a sensible pwoer envelope things are gonig to get really interesting in the OEM space.

Any by interesting I mean Intel is going to cheat (again) and probably get away with it.

im actually pretty hype for zen

if it gets better ipc than my i5 4690 4ghz and has 16thread 8 cores im sold

What's the best OS to have for backwards compatibility, XP or Vista? I know Windows 10 has a Vista compatibility layer but I wasn't sure if there were any flaws with it, Crysis struggled but I got it running eventually. Far Cry 2 works fine, haven't tried Halo 2 yet.

They should look for the efficiency market rather than the CPU/APU market.

fucking intel

poor amd never recovered

fucking intel shoot themselves in the foot every chance they get though so hopefully they fuck up again really big i consider $1000+ for a 8 core i7 fucking up considering it took 5 years to get to market

>there are people itt who unironically bought the 390/x housefire

Kys

anandtech.com/show/10585/unpacking-amds-zen-benchmark-is-zen-actually-2-faster-than-broadwell

Future is so bright i'm gonig to need shades.

APU's ARE all abouit effeciency. Its why Intel is pumping enormous amounts of money and time into their igpu architecture to get performance up without balloning power draw (as right now its utter shit next to what AMD offers).

i remember vista having issues

just run XP in vm with gpu passthrough you get full acceleration too if you use something like vmware workstation
couldnt beat it for the money

and the 480 wasnt out yet and the 1080 costs like $1200aud here

I just built a new PC with a 6600k so I don't need Zen unfortunately, but if the rumors of it having a consumer chip/board with 20 PCI-e lanes is true that would be great. m.2 and PCI-e based storage are getting more and more popular, and it's silly Intel still refuses to enable more than 16 lanes.

>Windows 10 crap over 8 so i dunno why people are refusing to upgrade from 7 as well.
Are you fucking serious

damn zen looks fucking awesome i cant wait

Golden era AMD is back baby

But i gained like 50fps from DX on Vulkan no Stuttering. 1080p around 90fps all maxed.

This is more of Nvidia's underhanded dirty work. Mark me on this.

Nvidia isn't nearly at the same level of mischief that Intel is, and they still pull enough anti-consumer bullshit against their own customers that its reason enough to avoid them.

>Seriously though if AMD does go tits up and say ARM buys them could you really see people moving away from x86?
Absolutely. Already the majority of people have a mobile device as their primary computing platform, and that's a market that ARM dominates. The business market wouldn't necessarily come to x86's rescue either since in that market applications are increasingly moving server side, and x86 end user machines running Windows are becoming a security liability.

You only have to look at the growing market for the Raspberry Pi as a gaming device to see where the industry is likely headed, and that will only accelerate if the cost of gaming PCs goes up. A sub $100 ARM system that can play current ported PC games in 1080p isn't that far off, its almost certain to happen by the time Windows 7 is EOL.

yeah that shit me to tears when my i5 and z97m wouldnt let me add in a pcie sata controller or m2 without nerfing the fuck out of my gpu

cant wait to move away from it.
only problem i had was that boot loop the other day

over the past year and a bit it was actually flawless and still is on both my laptops

Who the fuck even buys their $1000+ core chips? i7-6700k seems to do just fine for gaming and video editing and if you need the cores why wouldn't you just use a Xeon?

no shit their dx11 performance is better than dx12 its a known fact even the new pascals cant into dx12

they might make a dx12 native card in the next couple of years but they got the market cornered so they dont have to do shit

>anandtech.com/show/10585/unpacking-amds-zen-benchmark-is-zen-actually-2-faster-than-broadwell
Did anyone read the article? You, for example: It is the same old shit since ancient era of AMD vs Intel: in the benchmarks AMD looks fantastic but on practice and real applications and games Intel still shits on it.

Same old as the world.

Good LORD I FEEL OLD

Ubuntu or another GNU/Linux based OS ironically enough. Wine is better than Microsoft's own backwards compatibility layer and it will run properly on modern hardware sometime that is no longer true of XP.

i would have bought one if it was reasonable and had a mainstream i5 and i7 option and lower clocked versions but yeah to literally offer one 8 core chip and make it obscenely expensive only to get beat by a 4 core in both value and relative performance is hilarious

My ass it does. The 390 can't beat the 970, let alone a fucking 970 beating the 980.

thats a stupid point though how else are we meant to measure performance if not through benchmarking?

>only problem i had was that boot loop the other day
This narrow-minded, subjective reason is your argument why Win10 is better than Windows 7? Really?

I mean, c'mon user, I can't take you seriously. The other day I read 27 pages long forum thread where big people who work in the industry not as janitors were talking real talk about business amd market model of Win10 and what a shitty future expect us if Win10 will be as much of a success as Microsoft wants it.

It goes far beyond your single performance issue. Right now your little petty consumer issues is the whole world for you. They probably will be the only issues for casual users like you.

But some people look further and under wider angle.

Benchmarking in actual application and not in single staged synthetic benchmark?

Hello, common sense?

But the 970 is already planned bricked, so how?

390 shits on the 970

what games are you refering too?
i had A TONNE of problems with windows 8 and 7 that never got resolved and was only made worse through windows update after the service packs and windows 8.1

Say what you want but W10 is a breeze compared to 7's fucking issues like search randomly not working and how sluggish it feels even after tweaking

Its because Intel hopes to segment the market by keeping mainstream systems stuck on 4 cores so they can charge much more to businesses or scientific users that actually need 8 core / 16 thread machines.

Oh yeah duh my bad but still if zen is as good as we're lead to belive ill gladly jump on it

Hell my i5 4690 is outdated as fuck and zen came at just the right time

>Any by interesting I mean Intel is going to cheat (again) and probably get away with it.
Its this isn't it? Its always this.

APUs was hard enough to find on laptops.
Zen APU will still be a bitch, even if its going to be a lot better.

>390 shits on the 970

Uh huh sure it does. You do realize the 970 can easily overclock to stock 980 levels, right? Only in those cherrypicked meme games nobody cares about like ashes of singularity will you see it even remotely close to a 980, let alone a 970.

>Look at priced online
>See the 390x
>Want it
>See the Power consumption
>Back off and go for a 390 instead

i5 4xxx is absolutely fine and you literally could wait for next year for new flagman Intel CPUs...

>8 GB VRAM

Keep in mind if you use Windows that Zen or new Intel chips will force you to use 10. This years chips are going to be the highest end hardware guaranteed to work on older versions of the OS.

i also love how they labotomized their Xeons so you cant overclock them and the same goes for the non k cpu's

i remember my 920 used to do 3.5ghz+ and alot of people got to 4.x no problems at all

Fucking intel suck now they blew their load too early and now they cant stop cumming
keep telling yourself that.

your 3.5gb memecard is already having vram issues in new games even at 1080p and shits itself with higher resolutions

meanwhile my 8gb 390x is having no problems and i dont have to put up with drivers fucking downgrading my visuals and omitting effects for better fps like the 37x.xx drivers from greeenturds
i probably will but i know intel wont come out with a mainstream i7 8 core at a reasonable pricepoint so fuck them
i dont use older windows anymore

as i said ran into tonnes of issues with 7 and 8.1

>least year Nvidia offered 3.5G for mainstream gamers
>this year they offer 3G
Can't wait for glorious 2G Volta cards.

Can't i just get a card that doesn't have excessive specifications for the pupose of e-peen and have functional ones instead?

Some manufacturers are throwing money at Intel to delay mass production of XPoint storage as to first allow them time to recoup R&D costs of SSD.

kek fucking this

AMD also offered 8gb 2 fucking whole years before nvidia

3gb 1060 is a absolute joke and should have been reserved for truely shit tier cards like a 1050

i had a 4gb 770 up until may this year and it regularly ran out of vram at 1080p

go buy a 480 8gb then.

some of them OC nicely

the 1080 and 1070 are weird in that they are overkill for 1080p, just about right for 1440p which nobody uses and cant do 4k properly so i really dont see the point in getting one

Works like magic on my R9 390.

The 290 and 390 Sapphire cards already come factory OC'd to 290x levels, and with today's drivers alone they've gained huge performance gains, especially compared to the 780 and 9xx series.

So yes, it does.

390x here it truely looks and plays amazing

seeing 150fps on older hardware was mindblowing

shame its the only decently optimized game besides Battlefront and BF1 to come out recently.

Everything else is unoptimized trash this gen especially on windows 10

>he doesn't know

Isn't the 1050 2gb though? I mean it's fucking ridiculous.

390x master race

shitting on 1060 and 480 wankers since may

Some of us have had a 290x since 2013 and are now getting 980ti performance in some titles.

HOLY shit your right i thought that was a joke

still its a shitload better than nothing at all

lol i tried dx12 on my 390x and got like a o % increase in performance

ran like 5-10fps better but nowhere near those numbers at least on ultra with no msaa

I don't see 290x on that chart

Fact: You don't need more than 3gb to play 1440p if you have good color compression and texture compression techniques (which amd lack)

There's a reason amd cards use more vram. Amd cards didn't have any form of compression till fiji.

youtu.be/fYNigmB6sWY

290x = 390x with less vram or if it was one of the rare 8gb models
bull fucking shit

970 has texture pop in like mad

>970 has texture pop in like mad
That is not what texture compression means...

So that's the exact reason why the 970 had performance issues when it ran out of memory.
You heard it guys, if you have any issue with your nvidia card, it's amd's fault.

>Buying lowest-tier card in line-up
>Buying reference
>Ever

>20% better performance!!!

Thank fuck I didn't fall for the DX12 meme.

No way man, if you wanna play anything recent on ultra 1080p+ you're gonna need more than 3 GB.

2 GB already struggles on 1080p low as it is (see Hitman).

Nope. The 970 never had any memory issues concerning it's split vram and I've been waiting for 1.5 years now for anyone to prove me wrong.

>people still defend the 3.5gb memecard
nvidiots everyone

EVERY 970 owner should have got their money back and got a 980

doesnt matter anyway since maxwell cant into dx12 or vulkan

>tfw got an rx480
>first amd card
>few driver issues were worked out first week I got it, otherwise just fine
>idles at 50 degrees, the fan isn't even on half the time, and its only that hot because I'm in florida

People told me my old i7 920 was gonna bottleneck this shit but overclocked been having no problems. new linux drivers are also pretty great. Getting 95-120 fps in Doom in vulkan.

I don't miss my old 760, fuck Kepler.

Just gotta wait for engine programmers to get on the ball like they did for dx9->dx10/11 and we can see AMD and Nvidia compete directly in Hardware.

I don't understand what are you saying

This is still unrelated to texture compression algorithm

>gets better performance in literally one game
>its barely 1-10fps difference
>still cant get stable 60fps
the game is shit
remedy a shit
games with 6gb+ textures want to talk to you user

Doom
Rise of the Tomb Raider
GTA V
and soon many more

vram is always a limiting factor in gpus especially as they age

fuck knows why nvidia always skimp on vram

the 1080 should have been 16gb hbm2

Hitman is a piece of shit game that has some of the worst optimization I've ever seen. First of all dx12 mode STILL doesn't boot up unless you wait literally 30 minutes and even on medium settings I get a fluctuating 40 fps on my 980. Using that game as an example is like using ARK as an example. Both are utter shit games with terrible optimization and hitman is blatantly a console port.

I was fucking pissed when I realized my old 1366 motherboard was memeing me when its said that vtd and vtx were supported, fucking asus never fixed an IOMMU bug so there's just a bunch of null adresses mapped whenever I get arch to load up the iommu modules.

>Doom
>Rise of the Tomb Raider
Non of these used more than 4Gb for me on 1080p.

>inb4 "you need to do 4k!"

On 4K almost any modern game uses up to 5-6 nig

>compressing textures
Lol can you not see popin and the new drivers disabling effects in certain games?
texture compression is a meme

even some 8gb cards struggle at 1080p and 4k it depends entirely on the game

Even Nvidia admitted it, just give up man. It won't earn you any shekels.

>980

Found the problem.

whats your gpu?

if its 4gb its having those textures compressed to fit

MS isn't nintendo or sega, they'll just patch it to work ok and fix it in the next version.

>Lol can you not see popin and the new drivers disabling effects in certain games
Yet again this has nothing to do with texture compression on the fly for bandwidth saving purposes

Jesus you are dumb

Are you dense? Vram is almost never the limiting factor because you will run out of raw gpu processing power before you can fully max out your vram to the point of a bottleneck. Cards like the 8gb 480/390/390x have an excessive amount of vram slapped on as a selling point. They can't physically utilise that amount of ram as they're simply not powerful enough.

GTX1070

Not a single game so far went up to 5GB VRAM

Including QuantumKek on itsshit ass engine

youtube.com/watch?v=3VPIcYkgdCY

Microsoft will NEVER give up on DirectX. It is the lynchpin of their hegemony over PC OS.

>amd spondored game

Now I know the problem. The same issues as deus ex. Terrible optimization efforts as requested by amd.

>390x catching up to the 1070 in benchmarks
wew i really lucked out getting one of these kek
>nvidia
>having shit bandwidth, memory and vram they have to resort to jewish tricks like disabling effects and horrible drivers like 372.92 which you have to reinstall every day outherwise you get performance drops and crashes

You are fucking dumb

Multiple games have had my 390x at 6gb vram and over

please shut the fuck up Vram is always the limiting factor

Even GDDR5X 8gb and HBM1 in 4gb config limited the fuck out of those cards especially in higher resolutions

On ultra black ops III kills every gpu in existence due to horriific memory management. On high it works fine.

>BO3
I don't play shit games desu senpai

i kinda wish vulkan would take off

its a shame literally only linux is using it i thought more older windows 7 games would get it but sadly not

>black ops III

Who cares about cod #737832743

>Nvidia sponsored game

The writing is on the wall but Cred Forums refuses to see it.

>>having shit bandwidth, memory and vram they have to resort to jewish tricks like disabling effects and horrible drivers like 372.92 which you have to reinstall every day outherwise you get performance drops and crashes
Literally what

see
explains why Nvidia is terrible at dx12

pretty funny the series is so dead on arrivial they had to resort to remastering cod 4

the newest cod looks hilariously bad gameplay wise but has nice visuals for a cod game at least
lol under a rock general?

i still go on nvidia forums and laugh at all their issues like 1070 micron ram shitting out and 372 driver issies

>480 8 GB
>300 euros
That's minimum wage here

techspot.com/review/1114-vram-comparison-test/page5.html

>As for the 4GB R9 290 vs. 8GB R9 390 comparison, there was nothing to see here. Most games didn’t consume more than 4GBs of VRAM, but there were cases such as in Assassin's Creed Syndicate where with almost 5GBs of memory usage, there was still not a single frame difference. Moreover, in this Assassin's Creed Syndicate example the 290 and 390 were good for just 26fps on average, so clearly the quality settings will need to be reduced for achieving playable performance and consequently memory use will drop.
>The 390 and 390X are really graphics cards we never wanted. At the time of their release the Radeon R9 290 and 290X were exceptional buys. The 290X cost just $330, while today the 390X costs around $100 more for no additional performance and it is no different with the 290 and 390.
>We see plenty of gamers claiming that the 390 and 390X are excellent buys due to their 8GB frame buffer ensuring that they are "future proofed," and well, that simply isn’t the case, as neither GPU has the horsepower to efficiently crunch that much data. Perhaps the only valid argument here is that the larger frame buffer could support Crossfire better, but we haven’t seen any concrete evidence of this yet.

Congrats. You let amd jew you out of $130 extra over a 290x with literally no benefiting vram advantage on performance advantage. See

Link me these threads with these issues.

What effects were disabled?

I'm hoping somebody works out a nice automated solution to getting linux distro's working with IOMMU.

A retard friendly PCIE Passthrough installer for gaymers

>living in europoor

>Having choice of birthplace

:^)

>not moving

Don't you europoors always go on about freedom on movement in europe?

Now try 1440p.

you have brain damage

i got a 390x THIS YEAR literally in may so i dont see how i am contributing shit

its a great card and the 8gb of vram DOES get fully utilized

Why do you think it shits on the 480 and 980? hell its catching up to the 1070

Freedom of travel and bussiness, user

Please try Sacred 2 with the HD texture pack. I'm curious.

That's useless then. Kill yourself and hope you're reincarnated somewhere else.

>the 8gb of vram DOES get fully utilized
Name 10 VIDEO GAMES that do so, not your rendering software

>it's catching up to the 1070
>45.6% behind the 1070 across a broad range of modern dx11 and dx12 games

>"DX12 and Vulcan are failures"

You need upgrade to cards with proper dx12/vulcan support. Old cards have bugs with dx12/vulcan

They pretty much got away with the P4 in the pre-built market which seriously fucked AMD and I can see them doing it again if threatened. They're legal team budget is probably larger than the R&D budget.

Both Vulkan and DX12 are having huge trouble getting from theory to practice. They're both so complex that it really will depend on engine developers to implement them effectively, and it's apparently just really fucking hard. I think it's really going to come down to whole new engines to implement them properly.

You think I'll be alright with a 470 4gb then ? I owned a 1070 for a week and sold it for a profit.

I also noticed it barely breached 4gb on a lot of things despite DE: MD's stating so.

lol so?

im a n33t in australia thats so broke i still live at home yet i manage to get decent hardware it just takes me months to save
we have to pay $500aud for a 480 and $700 for a 1070

My over clocked 980 can run 90% of games at ultra 1080p or high 1440p and even then I never used more than 3gb vram even in games like witcher 3 or fallout 4 which only used 1.5gb vram maxed out. I can play star wars battlefront 60 fps at 165% resolution scale and it only goes to 3.4GB vram.

>GPU advertised as having DX12 support
>It "supports" it by running at sub-30
Well technically it's not false advertising, but come on

rememeber when dx11 and dx9 first came out?

Most of the games where backports from dx8 and dx10 and most of them ran terrible

once developers got to grips with the api's around a year or two later they where golden.

DX12 and Vulkan when used right can give amazing improvements

DX12 is barely a year old and Vulkan is what 6 months or less? Give it time dude
>What is Texture Compression
Literally what we where just talking about read the thread

I want to get one of those, and I believe sticking to 1080p would make it, also it can be somewhat ocd. But it's not a futureproof card.

Vulkan is going to revolutionize mobile gaming

So you are admitting that you don't need more than 4GBs vram to play 90% of games at max settings at both 1080p and 1440p and that amd cards have shit memory compression hence why 390X uses over 6gb vram in non intensive games (lmao) ?

OK at least we have this cleared up.

You dumb nigger, Kaby Lake/Zen will still run on older Windows installs, they just can't take advantage of things like Intel's Speed Shift or Turbo Boost 3.0.
techeye.net/chips/why-kaby-lake-and-zen-is-windows-10-only
>Older versions of Windows and alternative operating systems will still install and run on Kaby Lake and Zen, but they just won’t do the cool stuff.

There are already some nice interfaces for virtual machines like Gnome's Boxes, but I'm afraid that passthrough is going to remain something that requires fucking around in the motherboard's config panel.

Hopefully in the long run it just becomes unnecessary. Between the number and quality of native games improving, and compatibility layers picking up speed thanks to API level passthrough with Gallium Nine I'm not sure how long using a virtual machine for gaming will really be necessary. I'm already basically linux native only, though I am now playing through an old game with Wine for the first time in a long while.

More companies need to open up their old engines like Id used to. That Quake has been ported to Vulkan is kind of crazy.

Eh, future proof concerns is why I sold my 1070 because it didn't gain in DX 12, although I did see something indicating it helped with the minimums in some benchmarks.

470 still less powerfull in pure force

I had 670 GTX barely could run Witcher 3 at 40-50 fps medium with lean to low. Now I can do 80FPS on ULTRA in W3 woith 1070

The 370 is a rebranded 7870 actually.
The 380 is a rebranded 285, which was a new GPU.
The 380x is a new(er) GPU.

Considering you can't exactly monetize your old-ass engines, you get some PR points by releasing their source code

So is this like the only game on the market that can't be maxed at 4k60?

Link to the shit

My brother has a 470, it's a bit underpowered. Get a Sapphire 480. Should be the sweet spot.

2 more McCurry tickets are accredited to your account, Sanjay.

You can't even max it at 1080p with a 1080. It drops below 60 fps quite a bit.

Sorry, I literally forgot to add that I'd intend on selling the 470 once Vega or Volta rolls around. It was pretty easy selling the 1070.

But then I'd never spent £350 on a gpu before so maybe I was just spooked by the expenditure fuck knows. If i see a 1070 for sub £350 on black Friday I may get one again.

It's easily the most performance-intensive PC game on the market right now. The global illumination and shadows rape everything. It's best played with the 720p upscaler unless you have a 1070 or something higher.

Vulkan removes much of the driver overhead from AMD cards, since AMD can't into drivers to save their lives.

he's not even talking about linux users you fucking dense retard

AMD just needs to dump their Windows driver team and port Mesa.

"competitively" making your device worse every year a-la apple

Jesus christ, and it can't even be SLI'd?

>SLI
How many games actually support it since it became a thing?

>How many games actually support it since it became a thing?
Quite a lot of the big, GPU-hungry ones. It's generally smaller games that fly under the radar where support may not exist.

Bottom is better tbqh

Sli has always felt to me like one big ruse by GPU companies to move more units while conveniently ignoring that it requires the game makers to utilize it.

The idea is pretty cool that if power isn't a concern buy two cheaper units for half price to get the power of the one above. The point being those cheaper units might be of manufacturer preference or added later on.

Hardware based compute units.

AMD GCN has them, Fermi did but onwards doesn't.

That's about as far as my understanding goes.

The idea is to buy 2 cards if you have money and the single strongest card on the market isn't enough to run the game at optimal quality. Like with the case of Quantum Break.

Works like a dream on my R9 380 lol
I play over 100 fps on Ultra with it.
Vulkan is amazing.
Also had no stutters.
Why the fuck is no game using Vulkan again?

how the fuck? my 290 stock runs at about 90c under load and thats suposedly normal

Also I only have 8 gigs of ram and an old FX 6300.

>The idea is pretty cool that if power isn't a concern buy two cheaper units for half price to get the power of the one above
That is a very stupid idea and you should never do it. There is literally a single scenario where multi-GPU is an option and that is at the high-end where buying a single card will not get you the performance you want. You only start considering multi-GPU when the fastest card is too slow, or when the fastest card is priced absolutely ridiculously (as in $1500 Titans and other crap NVIDIA pulls).

Show me SLI performance with Quantum Break compare to singleGPU cards

Nvidia? Is that you?

>remotely close to a 980, let alone a 970
the intelligence of an nvidia shill

vulkan was late to the party, i think it released only a few months ago actually. direct x 12 however released over a year ago

He doesn't have a card with the stock cooling.

I said that's the idea, but QB lazily doesn't support SLI.

Direct x 12 worked like a charm on Tomb Raider, it fucking sucks in BF1 cause it stutters like hell, I had to turn DX11. But there's a significant fps increase with 12 tho.

DX 12 is dev dependent as has been stated before. With PC releases being iffy as is this makes me very nervous.

I've got QB on the windows store, can I get it on steam without paying again? I've got a 970 so want the better perf

AMD is better if you're the kind of person that only buys a GPU once every couple of years.

Nvidia is better if you're the kind of person that wants to stay on the cutting edge of tech/performance and you buy a new card every year.

If you're buying an Nvidia card as a long term purchase, you're gonna get downgraded when the next gen comes out.

If you're buying a new AMD card every year you're going to sometimes rarely be on the cutting edge, but more than likely you won't be on top even when your card is new.

exaggerate those time spans a little less and it's a fair point.

I can mark the time when my 750ti started acting up badly and thought it was time to not accept driver updates.

Just pirate it, I got fucked over too. Don't feel bad about pirating something I already paid for.

Use "unofficial patch" to turn WSversion into Steam version

>New APIs years in the making to finally bring the PC/mobile dev process closer to consoles
>Both are complete shit

How could this have happened?

The responsibility is on the devs as always.

>giving the responsibility to the laziest cunts on earth
That's already a giant flaw.

TA DA! Hold on to your assholes, we're in for a bumpy ride. Can you imagine a DX 12 backend for a Bethesda game?

I'm dual booting 10 with Gentoo. 10 does not like it AT ALL. Every time I switch to Windows, 10 demands that I let their new implementation of CHKDSK erase the "broken" GPG-encrypted Linux partition, and refuses to boot until I agree. I had to make Gentoo hack the hibernated (because 10 NEVER shuts down cleanly, no matter what registry hack you apply) Windows partition on boot and restore the original boot sequence, just to be able to switch without that nonsense.

DX12 would do absolutely nothing given creation engine is still basically a decade old. Running at feature level 11.3 is the best you would get (which to be fair is all about alleviating some of the cpu threading issues).

I'm always wondering if I should just upgrade my GPU to 1070 or upgrade the entire rig?

Is my CPU fine? Will I get a big boost in games like Witcher 3 with the 1070 upgrade?

I'm sure they'll find some wonderful way to fuck it up if they ever did change the engine or if not.

You know that was one thing when I had that 1070 for a short while was I started up fallout 4, still looked like piss.

Bethesda should just stick to Elder Scrolls.

CPU is perfectly fine, there is no reason yo update to 6xxx, wait for new gen. I myself on i7 3770k and no reason to update yet.

I jumped from GTX 670 to 1070GTX

It's more than fine, if anything being underutilized by your GPU.

Move up in resolution if you are getting a 1070.

Do they even have DX10?

Nobody used (or uses) DX10. Especially not after what Nvidia pulled with ubisoft.

>Nobody used (or uses) DX10. Especially not after what Nvidia pulled with ubisoft.
???
What did they do?

Also, upcoming game RESET uses DX 10.1

Made ubisoft pull it from the first assassin's creed game because despite Nvidia's claim of their top gpu at the time supporting DX10 it basically didn't.

It is weird because DX11 is basically renamed and glorified DX10.1 + some shit

The transition to DX11 happened insanely fast for some reason

Nvidia lying about DX support is a recurring thing

>Jewvidia cards are shit with it so it's a failure
Fucking lol

I didnt have a single stutter with Vulkan. DX12 however has been just issues on top of issues and I end up not using it in any game that has it.
I feel that DX12 is yet another DX10. A stupid turd that nobody wants to use if possible.

>The transition to DX11 happened insanely fast for some reason

It didn't.

Here is a fun fact for you, in the first 12 months of it being available Mantle had more supporting games than DX11 did in its respective first 12 months.

It was a shit port. DX12 is the future user. Just because a shit half assed implementation had mediocre performance doesn't mean the whole API is shit.
Has nothing to do with DX12.

But now my 770 never goes under 50 fps like before

>770

You do realise that performs closer to a 270x (aka 7870) than the 7970ghz it was meant to compete against right?

Why lie?

Why? If I stay at 1080p I can max most games and even mod them further.

> at least it fucking works
Yes, your sides took your brain with it, I see.

>Nvidia
Why Nvidia cannot into Vulkan and DX12? Are they too busy with Gameworks and gimping their last generation cards?

AMD is not dropping anytime soon. They went from a low 18% market share and they are at 34% now.
game-debate.com/news/21470/amd-steals-huge-chunk-of-gaming-gpu-market-share-from-nvidia

he probably isn't. that benchmark you're showing is testing these gpu with the highest end i7 to prevent bottleneck. that guy could be using a shit tier amd cpu which is bottlenecking the gtx 970 in open gl. it's not an uncommon case. i know someone who uses a gtx 1060 6gb with an amd apu which bottlenecks the fuck out of the gpu but in dx12 and vulkan the new api help alleviate some of those bottlenecking issues.

>that market share growth

How? I thought that recent debacle with the 480x having a stupid 6 pin power connector causing the connector slot to draw more than it can handle hurt them greatly?

You do realising we are reaching the point where cpus are simply not fast enough to feed high end gpus under DX11 (and older) API's right? The software is simply fucked where everyone loses.

Going up resolution lets all those delicious rops on the 1070 shine as cpu stops holding the gpu (as much). See also: why the GCN (particularly the fury x) take less of a performance hit (percentage wise) going up resolution as the cpu bottleneck moves to a gpu one.

Its also why Nvidia was boasting their new titan XP is so powerful modern cpus cannot keep up with it.

name a Vulkan game

The market share growth started when AMD rebranded hawaii and has been growing ever since then.

> I thought that recent debacle with the 480x having a stupid 6 pin power connector causing the connector slot to draw more than it can handle hurt them greatly?

There is zero evidence actually supporting such a belief despite the shitposting on Cred Forums and Cred Forums. The 480 is clearly a highly desirable card.

>How? I thought that recent debacle with the 480x having a stupid 6 pin power connector causing the connector slot to draw more than it can handle hurt them greatly?

They fixed that with a driver update.

>went from a low 18% market share and they are at 34% now
>proceeds to show evidence that directly contradicts the first claim in that sentence as AMD never dropped even approached going below 20% on that graph

Well either way i'm still interested in the 480x; i'm just gonna wait for the 8 pin versions of those cards to come and see how the benchmarks are for them.

That wasn't an actual issue, and you should know it. It could have been fixed through the wattman, then it was fixed by driver update, then all third party versions got eight pin.
Also it couldn't cause any issue on a quality mb, the one that you should use for gaming.

Doom (the new one, though its fucked by denuvo for cross-platform)
Quake (the old one)
Talos Principle
Dota2

In the near future hopefully the new Tomb Raider, Hitman, and Deus Ex though Vulkan versions of those may be Linux-only. Unity just released Vulkan support and the new UE also has support so lots of new games should be using it in the near future.

Emulators also seem to be adopting Vulkan pretty quickly. Dolphin just picked up support and Retroarch is already supported.

Didn't the same guy who made the DX12 backend for Dolphin also make a vulkan version?

>Nvidia GPU owners
Your poorly made GPU struggles with a modern graphics API. That's not surprising and is not a problem with DX12.
Come next generation Nvidia will be supporting hardware asynchronous compute. At that time DX11 is going to get phased out and as a result the entire current Nvidia lineup is going to get shit on as the industry switches over to these more advanced APIs. Everyone who has purchased an Nvidia GPU this generation is either a massive cuck or a fool.

>DX
>tech savvy users
Pick one.
People who are actually tech savvy don't care about video games at all.

>tech savvy users
>windows

I told you this month's ago. Don't buy anything from this gen, since Polaris is not strong enough, and Pascal is obsolete in half a year. Just wait.

I get more fps with dx12 when playing TW Warhammer

TW is a cpu killer which leads to some hilarious gpu bottlenecking.

t. Kekler

I get like 9 more fps on my r290 on dx12
Pretty good

>Polaris is not strong enough
Eh, depends on what you want to do. If you're just making a cheapo 1080p box it's good enough.
As far as upgrades are concerned though... total poo in loo, yeah.

Yes, it's not strong enough to last for years. Maybe one year.

For the market the 480 is aimed at it is plenty for a user's needs. Its aimed at people who play at medium with some settings on high and don't mind framerates as long as its 30+. For that the likes of the 480 and 1060 are perfect and will serve someone for years to come.

That said even today I would still run the risk and get a used hawaii card due to simply having more of everything hardware wise. Sure hawaii lacks some of the newer features like the improved delta compression but hawaii is absurdly brute force and will simply chew through any workload you throw at it - its simply a matter of clockspeed. In fact thats (partly) why hawaii has aged like wine - it doesn't rely on many tricks to function and simply throws hardware at the problem until it goes away. Consider hawaii is nearly 3 years old and still hangs near the top of performance charts - it certainly murders kepler and hangs with maxwell v2.

youtube.com/watch?v=aC4Mlhna6kE

Whoa whoa whoa

Now I'm hearing that getting a 1070 is a bad move and also staying with my 1080p monitor is also a bad move?

4k is a meme still so only 1440p is an option, but I was thinking of getting a 1070 this fall and then upgrading my rig entirely in 2019 when windows 7 support drops.

I am honestly pretty computer illiterate compared to some of the people in this thread. Guess I'll head to Cred Forums more often.

>R9 390x destroying GTX 980
It looks like Cred Forums memes were right for once, that Nvidia really does age like mayonnaise left in the sun.

> nvidia can't do dx12
> therefore dx12 is a failure

>something can't be used properly
>therefore it's a failure

Not a fan of how Nvidia handles things but that's how it rolls.

Oh no, I don't get Queers of War 7, Forza or Dead Rising: Frank but not Frank Edition! My eyes are overflowing with tears!

>this nvidia cuck

Baby maxwell is a worthless piece of shit but big maxwell (which is to say, the 980ti because lol the titan) is a decent chip all told. I don't think we will see fiji pull ahead like hawaii has done due to the nuances of fiji but still, compared to kepler the various GCN generations have proven to be far superior (7970 vs 680/770, 290x vs 780ti).

If AMD wasn't so limited by 20nm collapsing a 96 rop fiji chip would'be been a monster of unparalled performance. Even today if you use compute heavy tasks it takes a titan xp to rival a fury x (as AMD has invested heavily into compute). I doubt we will ever see GCN clock beyond 1200mhz on the bigger chips as the nature of the design just isn't going to allow for hich clocks but equally clock for clock GCN has more performance than what Nvidia offers from kepler onwards.

Technically applying the term IPC to gpus as people do to cpus doesn't work due to a huge list of factors but in laymen's terms GCN has higher IPC than kepler, maxwell and pascal.

Yeah, I think it was the same guy. It was declared feature complete about a month or so ago but was just merged yesterday.

how does a single game prove this? please explain how this 1 (one) game should stop me from buying a gtx 980 sc for £90 off a friend.

>getting absurd deals
>the norm

No user no. If one could find a 980 for 90 bongs it is inherently the deal of the century but in releastic terms used 980's do not go for such a low amount (more like twice that) and thus the 980 is a relatively poor choice.

Even when new the 980 offered horrifically bad price vs performance over both the 970 and 290x/390x. From a pure price vs performance perspective the only good maxwell cards were the 750ti (due to low power draw that AMD could not match at the time) and the 980ti (due to high performance in general).

Pic semi related - until early this yeat the 290 dominated every single price vs performance chart by a huge margin.

can't be bothered to read all that but i'll get the 980 then. cheers. might even buy 2 in sli since they're so cheap nowadays.