How do i get good a fightan games?

How do i get good a fightan games?
Im playing on PC btw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/VISriCp-B3w?t=26s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

1- Don't play Street Fighter, or MK but KoF.
2- Play with friends on local it's essentiel.
3- Go to training mode for trying every combos.

dont play on pc

Playing on a gamepad is both physically and mentally exhausting. ESPECIALLY KoF, fuck the d-pad.

someone post the video pls

>Don't play Street Fighter, or MK but KoF

Yeah op don't play the big games that actually have a community outside autists, just the latest meme release, you'll be as good as this guy in no time.

Ignore the first two steps even if SF sucks ass especially recently and MK has garbage gameplay, adhere to the third. Also, don't play fighters on PC, community isn't big enough.

You work out what you need to get better at.
You practice it.
You play.
You play a lot.

Then you repeat this cycle forever.

To start out,

Jump in online.

Expect you're gonna lose

Figure out why you lose

Try to stop doing the thing that makes you lose

repeat.

Three big pieces of advice I can give

1) Set up your control mapping properly.
If you're playing on keyboard I highly recommend mapping space to up and then something like qwe for left/down/right. It'll help a ton for motions.

2) Learn to use the training mode
This is a big thing that people ignore for some strange reason. Before you go online, understand how to train efficiently. All games have a dummy that you can record and playback moves from. You can use this to practice knocking attacks out the air, blocking or interrupting combos, learning the reach of your poke attacks, that sort of thing. Know that the training mode is MUCH more than just a stationary punching bag for combo strings. You can eventually start using attack data to work out which moves/combos are optimal to use but don't worry about that for now.

3) Watch back your replays to see where your flaws are
If you entered a battle and almost instantly got caught in a big combo, you did something wrong. It can be annoying, but try watching back at the fight and seeing what you did to open yourself up or which move exposed you. You can then use training to record moves you frequently get hit by and learn to avoid or counter them.

If this seems tedious as fuck then fighting games might not be for you. They're a repeated cycle of online/local game, replay, training mode.

I have played KoF13 competitively for years on a PS2 pad. It's true some pads are bad for fighting games (360 pad in particular) but it is not at all the struggle you suggest and I would argue that while pads are arguably worse in terms of strict execution in some ways, they have advantages in terms of sheer speed which help neutral, which is very helpful in KoF in particular.

It is different yes, but it is in no way worse.

Practice my dude!

Nah all kidding aside, learn your moves and try to predict the enemy, don't just try to attack. Be patient and let them screw up. Be like 'oh if he jumps I'll hit him with the uppercut' and shit.

do what the pros do
get in on every single detail in the game atleast six months before it comes out

Something that has always baffled is that the control scheme is "left handed". Shouldn't you use the right hand for movement? since the right hand is for precise movement and the left one is more rhythmical.

Don't matter what platform, just don't play with a keyboard.
Pick a decent fighter. A good starter is MBAACC. (Easy combos etc.)
Pick character, test out all its specials.
Look up BnB combos and just sit in training.
When you know your BnBs, Play with someone around the same skill-level. (Get friends.)
Lastly git gud

Learn all the frame data so you'll never use unsafe attacks and always be able to punish when other people use unsafe attacks.

OP here, help me decide out of these fighting games
>Guilty Gear Xrd sign
>Killer Instinct (2016)
>Street Fighter V
>Mortal Combat X

Street Fighter V is the only one that's not dead.

Ignoring the shitposting, SFV is perfect for you if you eventually want to follow into other fighting games. MKX is great if you want to dabble but not sink a ton of time into it. MKX has less transferrable skill/fundamentals compared to other fighting games but SFV will set you up nicely.

SFV has suffered horribly in terms of business decisions but the core gameplay is really solid. It's designed from the ground up to be more accessible, it's crossplay with PS4 which means there's always players, every fighter is varied (no clones), and inputs and combos are really laid back but still mirror other fighters so you can transition to Guilty Gear or Blazblue afterwards. There are several characters specifically designed for people like you who want to be able to jump in and have fun without massive hurdles.

Xrd is a bad idea as a first fighting game. Pick one of the other 3.

If you have to ask, you shouldn't be playing them at all. Smash bros exists for the likes of you. It only has one button and 0 complex inputs.

sfv is crossplatform.

If you pick up SFV, make a thread once you're in and I'll set up a lobby where I can show you some of the basics. I had someone on Cred Forums coach me with basic fundamentals and within two days I was semi competent. It doesn't need to take weeks/months to be able to play if you know what you need to do.

B8

You need to learn how to lock down your opponents options. If you can do that, you can then guess what their reactions will be.

eg force opponent to the corner and poke them carefully til they jump then anti-air. keep them trapped in a corner is one tactic.

Of course the most basic of locking down would be anti-air, you need to make sure you punish every air jump and make the opponent think twice about jumping at you.

get raped by niggers online until you become average

Go take those grammar lessons again, Pancho

>meme
>no actual community
Do.. Do you know what a meme is? Besides yes, we totally need to create the same problem in 2002-09 where SF fans are too stupid to play anything else.

That's why Smash exists. So people who are more nintendo types can pretend that they are also playing a fighting game. It's cosmetically similar but there's nothing to learn. You just pick up the controller and play it. If you're the type of person that ask how to play a video game, then, right out of the gate, it's just not for you. Period. It's a game. They're easy as hell to play as it is yet some people need instructions. There's even tons of girls out there that are naturals. When you can't grasp what even women can, you know you don't belong in that genre.

trying 2 hard

Or maybe some games just have difficult starting points or bad conveyance methods.

>I'm bad but it's the game's fault

Why does it bother people so much that others might not want to play their fighter?

If you play SF,KoF,MK,GG, BB, or any other fighter, how does that make you obligated to try another fighting game?

I play GG on a keyboard and i find it easier to play that way than with a controller.

I don't own an arcade stick and don't plan on getting one, keyboard works really well, for gg at least.

>there's nothing to learn
So... you've never played a single SSB game in your life. Got it.

It has a higher fucking skill ceiling than SF, you know.

If you're a fighting game novice I would strongly suggest Killer Instinct.

It has undoubtedly the single best practice mode in fighting game history. This is not up for debate, it's factual. It's extremely approachable for both veterans and beginners, it has a large rooster and a nifty dynamic score by Mick Gordon, and the starter version is free.

Do not touch Guilty Gear until you're ready to get into super technical fighting games.

You can be great at a game and still admit it has flaws.

If you're a beginner, SF5 and KI are easy to get into.

Guilty Gear has a lot more to deal with and I haven't played MKX yet so I can't speak for it

>2) Learn to use the training mode
>This is a big thing that people ignore for some strange reason.
It's not strange; only fightan vidya require you to put this time on them to be able to play them beyond 2 hit combos and mashing. Usually, training mode teaches you nothing about the metagame (specially, the neutral game, punishments and frame advantage), of course you can intuitively learn what are the best moves to perform considering damage and how safe they are, but most people don't want to figure out the meta , they just want cool looking combos and they want them now

When I still had friends there was this one that wanted to get into fighting games. I told them to get into training mode and do whatever combo a ton of times to be able to reproduce it, and not be a mashing pos. They looked at me with confusion, and asked me "but why do I have to do that? I just want to play the game!"

One of the best Street Fighter players in the world uses an original PSX Controller, not even a DualShock, the one without sticks.

Arcade Cabinets > Consoles >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PC. There's no room for discussion on this.

If today is 2009 I would recommend some pc games like Grand Chase.
Not much of a fighter but enough to teach you the basics and help to build your mindgame.

Much better than smash tho
youtu.be/VISriCp-B3w?t=26s

source source source

why would he need sticks for though?

Fighting game breakdown is simple enough. There's always going to be people who are smarter or have more experience than you though.

Basics-
It's you and another person. Try to hit him but also make just as strong an effort to prevent him from hitting you. That's literally all there is to it.

Intermediate-
The game is really just a medium. It's the other person you're really playing against so psychology is your #1 weapon. You basically want use a characters toolset (move set) to outwit your opponent. Read him constantly because he's also constantly reading you.

advanced-
Do these things as efficiently as possible meaning spend time learning how to punish by stringing attacks into big damage. This is what requires building game knowledge and muscle memory. It's only really necessary if you want to be competitive.

Still the absolute best matches come from playing someone who is equal to your skill. This means that even if you are a total novice, you can have just as much enjoyment as anyone else without learning anything really so long as you're evenly matched.

Anyone with a brain would use a controller/fight stick for Zangief or anyone else with full-circle inputs

Play a lot.
Start on single player, work your way up to the highest difficulty until you can win reliably.
Until you can do this, you'll be useless against anybody who's somewhat serious. Even when you can do this, you'll be bad against people who are somewhat serious, but not absolutely useless.
Some people will tell you to play against people right away, but if you're not even able to beat the hardest difficulty computer, then serious human players will take you apart without conceding a hit.
It is also helpful to practice execution once you start to understand the basics of a game. Practice/training mode is essential for this. You need to practice your execution of planned combos until it's second nature, you should never whiff a combo with a mis-timed hit or a slip to the wrong button or sloppy directional input. The execution is important, and takes practice, but execution is useless without understanding the timing and distancing of the particular fighting game you're playing, and timing and distancing is useless without excellent execution.
Once you're able to play against reasonably serious guys, play against them, try and play regularly, at least a couple of times a week.
Street Fighter 4 is the only fighting game I've ever been reasonably competitive in, but I played the absolute fuck out of that game to get good.

i dunno, i don't play street fighter.

full circle inputs aren't complicated to do with a directionnal cross though.

Johnny's overhead ensenga for example is totally doable with an original psx controller.

>sf: simple movement, elaborate inputs
>smash: elaborate movements, simple inputs

if it's so easy that means you're a tournament champ right?

If I want to get gud at soul calibur, what other fighting game would be good to pick up?

Soul Calibur

PC fighting games are dead, don't' even bother. Start with SF. Learn the fundamentals. Then move up from there.

Never head of it, what's it about?