Nemesis system

This shit was pretty cool, man. Think it'll ever show up again?

Always wondered why they chose to set it in a LOTR universe and not a Warhammer one. Now I'm not fanboying, but the system would work so much better in Warhammer wouldn't it? I mean shit, they even had that dwarf there and had those huge rancor like troll things, but that shit would exist purely in the badlands anyway. Man I don't know, felt like a weird idea to me. I still really enjoyed the game though, despite the relatively easy combat

It was an awesome idea yes. Unfortunately it was rendered moot since you barely ever died. Wiping out that entire screen of promoted uruhks and orcs was cake.

Shadow of Mordor was a fantastic game aside from the last boss, but...

FUCK YOU FOR EXISTING I WANT LOK DEAD SUN YOU PRICKS WHY?

I never died, and for some reason never really had a nemesis. One or two came back but I just cut their heads off. I don't get what all the hype was about. Game was far too easy.

Played on PC

>only time it advances is if you die or travel maps IIRC
>all the side content in the game is shitty Nemesis missions which are mostly pointless crap
>system itself doesn't really seem organic and is mostly forced

it will work really well on dark soul, why no one copy catting this system is beyond me.

You mean yet another system to pad out length in an open world game? A system to give the illusion of importance to, truthfully, mundane fights?

Prime example of a feature that can only be done on next gen & no one is doing anything new except more shaders

The game came out on PS3/360 you fucking retard, its not as incredible as you think it is

They'll have to find another way to make it work in other games, In Shadow of Mordor it only works because you are playing an immortal wraith and thus can never truly die, but it wouldn't make sense for someone like Batman to "die".

The PS3 and 360 version doesn't have the Nemesis system idiot.

Can you imagine an Ork that keeps coming back again and again to the point he's in charge of an entire WAAAAAAAAAAGH! trying to kill you? That'd be badass!

I love the 40k universe, but I'm still waiting for a game where you as a Space Marine can kill legions of Orks to the point where their bodies will raise you up by 10 feet

>40k

Absolutely not

>tfw no trollslayer vidya

>Always wondered why they chose to set it in a LOTR universe and not a Warhammer one

>"Lol aragorn XD"
>"I shoot arrows like legolas XD"

exactly, wider audience, warhammer is unknown, and people who heard the name only know the hueg spess murines

It does, but its limited

The system itself is limited anyways, they can only gain so much buffs that even after coming back so much he could just still be weak vs aerial assassination and be OHK-able. The whole brand system is pointless, and doing Nemesis-missions to draw people out is pointless. Its not even fun to get your brand army growing because its just not interesting the way the system advances in set circumstances and isn't real time.

I killed my nemesis twice in like the first 3 hours of the game and then didn't see them again until the start of the Tower """""""fight"""""""".

Mine was Something the Elder and my pal had the exact same guy except for his immunity to ranged.

I'm almost 90% sure the actual recurring Nemesis flagged orcs are 1 of 5 or so premade dudes with slightly unique lines on top of their random template, which is fine I guess but kind of breaks the illusion they were going for.

make it so everytime you get defeated you're actually KO'd and the guy who got rid of you for a while and stopped your mission from succeeding got promoted.

now it works for AC and batman games too.

t. has never played the game.

because if you had played the game you'd realize just how hard it can be to kill someone who's immune to like 4 of the 5 ways you can kill something

Why were there no female Orcs? Tolkien confirmed that they existed decades ago but no one seems to want to actually acknowledge that.

Because Lord of the rings is giant IP witch means a game set in said IP is guaranteed to bring in more delicious dosh.

>Warhammer is unknown"

I wouldn't say that statement is true and there is substantial minority in europe/states who know it.

But Lord of the rings is universally known.

>and not a Warhammer one
Holy shit, that'd worked fucking fantastically. Now I want that.

No it wasn't It was fucking garbage. It was just procedurally generated bullshit and did not feel organic in the slgihtest.

the nemesis system only mattered if you were shit at the game and died.

i completed the entire game without dying, and never really found any interesting aspect of the nemesis system.

Because orcs are evil and showing evil women in video games is sexist

I really liked the game a lot. Wish they had made their own lore for it instead of shoehorning in a weird LOTR side story.

Tolkien orcs look like more darker and savage negroes and muslims.

Boy, the SJW shitstorm if someone include these orcs in a video game would be ebin (for the win).

They could have still used a Tolkien-esque universe, but set it in Beleriand after the battle of unnumbered tears, you can play as a stray Noldor, which are basically demi-gods in that universe and could even fight Balrogs and shit.

I would be surprised if it didn't get a sequel. there was a leak a while ago where a stunt team credited themselves with working on the sequel

It would have been a lot better if it wasn't LOTR. The story was fanfic tier at best

Tolkien in fact described them as "...squat, broad, flat-nosed, sallow-skinned, with wide mouths and slant eyes; in fact degraded and repulsive versions of the (to Europeans) least lovely Mongol-types."

If you're going to bring up the quaint casual racism of an old white guy born in the 19th century at least get it right.

It's also quite funny in light of the thread I saw just now about Asian women looking like real-life elves. I guess you could tie that into orcs being degraded versions of elves?

>play game
>see this motherfucker
>coolest looking guy I've seen
>try to groom him and make him my ultimate rival
>let him win on purpose even though he's easy to kill
>finally decide to brand him
>move to new area
>can't bring my orc minion with me
>all the other orcs are generic and boring looking
>quit game
>uninstall

Guess I should had said "turks" instead of "muslims".

Have been years, but I still remember orcs looking like negroes in some descriptions.

Blacks are sort of represented in tolkiens universe and they are evil but they are just humans not orcs

Turks are a caucasian and mongoloid mix though

Tolkien was schizophrenic as fuck with orcs. Were they completely evil or was it just a toxic culture? Were they even alive or just constructs? I'm really happy Warcraft came along and got rid of that black and white morality system.

>Tolkien
>racist
Yeah no.
Go read his letters, there's a whole book with them and you'll see he was a very good Catholic, he refused to have The Hobbit published in nazi germany because they asked him if he was "aryan".
This is what he answered:

>25 July 1938
>20 Northmoor Road, Oxford

>Dear Sirs,

>Thank you for your letter. I regret that I am not clear as to what you intend by arisch. I am not of Aryan extraction: that is Indo-Iranian; as far as I am aware none of my ancestors spoke Hindustani, Persian, Gypsy, or any related dialects. But if I am to understand that you are enquiring whether I am of Jewish origin, I can only reply that I regret that I appear to have no ancestors of that gifted people. My great-great-grandfather came to England in the eighteenth century from Germany: the main part of my descent is therefore purely English, and I am an English subject — which should be sufficient. I have been accustomed, nonetheless, to regard my German name with pride, and continued to do so throughout the period of the late regrettable war, in which I served in the English army. I cannot, however, forbear to comment that if impertinent and irrelevant inquiries of this sort are to become the rule in matters of literature, then the time is not far distant when a German name will no longer be a source of pride.

>Your enquiry is doubtless made in order to comply with the laws of your own country, but that this should be held to apply to the subjects of another state would be improper, even if it had (as it has not) any bearing whatsoever on the merits of my work or its sustainability for publication, of which you appear to have satisfied yourselves without reference to my Abstammung.

>I trust you will find this reply satisfactory, and

>remain yours faithfully,

>J. R. R. Tolkien

You can be casually racist without being a white supremacist bruv

Warhammer is a really trashy setting, and it doesn't have the same appeal Lord of the Rings has. There's too much Warhammer trash as is.

It would make more sense when a nemesis Ork who gets his head chopped off comes back anyway, since 40k Orks can survive that sort of thing

>Were they completely evil or was it just a toxic culture?
>Were they even alive or just constructs?
They are corrupted elves who serve their dark lord.

>Warcraft
You mean Warhammer, right?

Kek. Germany btfo.

Warhammer is pretty black and white when it comes to orks.

Describing mongols using the same words of medieval historians isn't racism.
He didn't say mongols were degraded and repulsive; he said that ORCS were degraded and repulsive versions of the least lovely(TO THE EUROPEANS) mongol-types.
If you exercise your reading comprehension you'll see that he was saying they weren't liked by Europeans, which is a fact not a belief, and that the orcs looked like a worst version of them.

>all these people bitching about the nemesis system

Yeah it wasn't perfectly implemented and the game was way too easy for it. But we can all agree the idea behind the nemesis system is pretty bad ass, and it shouldbe improved upon and maybe implemented into other games.

Actually I misread your post. Warcraft lore is retarded and inconsistent tho.

motherfucker's criticizing the "illusion of importance" when talking about video games

it's all an illusion of importance, faggot

>greentexts rather than admitting LOTR is a much better universe

Yes yes yes, very well, if you interpret it just the right way there's a possibility that it might not be as racist as it appears, but it's hardly proper to apply medieval terminology (is it even medieval terminology) to people today anyway, and besides, there is still the fact that the designated mongoloid race, even if they are described in relative terms, are still the definite unambiguous bad guys of the world.

You don't need to make excuses. Even the most enlightened people in the past can be pretty racist according to today's standards. That's called progress. We can't really hold it against them; they were products of their time. We can only hold it against people today who are stuck in the past.

Warcraft is white and corrupted black in every single expansion

I was hoping a similar system would appear in the Mad Max game

>seemingly kill a guy and trash his car
>comes back with a new vehicle more powerful than the last

Great system in an otherwise boring and extremely forgettable game. It deserves a better game.

>That's called progress. We can't really hold it against them; they were products of their time. We can only hold it against people today who are stuck in the past.
wew lad.

And I thought for a second that you were serious.

I'm not entirely unserious.

That game is so disappointing. Although I guess the story fit what a Mad Max story is supposed to be though, having an absolutely shit ending involving a woman dying.

It dead nigga. No more. Dead Sun is dead, unless you manage to hunt down the guy who has the vertical slice.

The best thing that could happen is, if say, a few million people start shouting they want another LoK game in social media, or, someone makes an LoK mod for Skyrim and suddenly a few million people download it within the day it gets released.

And even then there's a slim chance it'll get canceled again. This is Squeenix m8. It's why every Hitman/Deus Ex/Tomb Raider game gets rushed, and why every Final Fantasy game gets a fucking higher cash goal each year that passes. It's why every f2p game that gets thrown their way either gets scrapped or gets microtransactions, it's why every mobile game they greenlight must have microtransactions

>people of the past were very racist and very sexist if we use today's unreasonable political correctness standards

Yeah, no shit.

>autism

I just want it man, is that so bad?

The gameplay that is out there looks pretty great, so why was it canceled?

"Not the right game at the right time" my ass, give us an actual fucking reason Square!

The actual reason? They say it won't reach Squeenix's financial expectation. Same reason for every game they've had, released or cancelled. It just so happens that their financial expectation is literally in the hundreds of millions, even reaching a billion dollars. Hence why Squeenix says that every game they release "bombs". Their coke supplier must be ripping them off or something.

I wouldn't mind seeing it in a better game. SoM suck ass this game was so fucking repetitive all you do is just kill orcs from beginning to end and watch cut scenes along the way.

Why the fuck would you want it? It looked fucking terrible. The writing was dogshit. We went from "Damn you, Kain! You are not God! This act of genocide is unconscionable!" to "Fuck you, vampire."

Let Legacy of Kain stay dead god damn it. The alternative is much worse.

>The alternative is much worse.
I don't see Legacy of Kain being progressive anytime soon user.

>40k
He's talking about fantasy m8.

>Yeah, lets just revive old series when all the old talent behind the series is dying off or not working anymore meaning we'd have to give it to a new studio

>What could go wrong :^)

I don't see DmC being progressive user.

Why is SJW the only possible problem that can arise? There is much worse shit that can happen to a reboot than some shoe-horned "progression". Bad writers can be so without being SJW.

Why was Tolkien so based?

You said worse user, and really, that's worse. By no means it's not the only reason that could arise. The fact that Dead Sun is described as a "desolate open world" is one problem, the other is the lack of tactics when it comes to human enemies.

It's a great concept with a bad execution

It's almost impossible to die in this game so the whole system is rendered pointless

But I realize that's all probably intended. But it will rub people off the wrong way, most definitely. They're also saying that the first few hours won't be lore heavy; they'll lay it on the players later on. That'll probably trigger LoK autists. And the gameplay is the most definite trigger for "hardcore fans". I know some people here and on /vr/ who shit on SR2 and Defiance for being "too different", and shit on BO2 for having competent human enemies.

I can see people REEEEEing about the Saradin too, along with his weird black mass thing that looks straight outta Alex Mercer's tentacles.

all that op shit and you can easily crouch in a bush and instagib him or jump on his head AC style

>literally have to die to promote your "orcs" into the highest rank to progress the story
>says he never died.

Confirmed for never actually playing the game.

I'm still waiting for somebody to pick that idea up again. I really think that it could have a whole game set up just around that system, if it was developed enough. It doesn't even need to be a fantasy game - Godfather 2 has something similiar going on and it works great in a gangster setting as well, so the devs wouldn't have to be limited by that.

>stupidity
>not even trying to make a point or having an argument
>probably sexually deviant too

>40k Orks can survive that sort of thing
Well, humans can too, if you act fast enough, orks simply have more leeway.

>That one fucking ork that would never JUST STAY DEAD
>By the end he was more metal than ork and completely unable to speak

I dont know how many times I said "Aww fuck not you again" in that game. He would always pop up at the worst times.

I wish the concept was explored in more games.

It was originally a brand new IP. Then when they were pitching it the publishers only wanted the Nemesis system. They told them to make it a LOTR game or they wouldn't get funded. They even said no and looked around elsewhere but no publisher would take them so they came back and agreed.

I'm sure there'll be games coming out that copy the system; its been two years and a day since it came out. Don't think that's quite enough time to really copy it.

You know that if you go to a tower and then wait the game progresses and all the promotions and stuff happen right?

Easy actually shit happens in real time and the different 'bosses' go about their lives and missions as you are playing the game.

Say you fucking around in area A and dont touch area B. Well all the nemesis enemies in B are going around training, recruiting, and getting better. If none of them have missions bringing them down to A if you dont go over there and disrupt them they will get extremely powerful.

Its also just better in general because it means you actually have to interact with the system. You cant just ignore their missions and they wont wait for you. It also presents interesting possibilities. If you get info that a boss is heading to a place you know he is moving around. You could go ransack his main base or try to guess his route and ambush him.

The system itself can work with improvements just fine.

>Vulnerable to stealth

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This. The concepts behind the system are great and have a huge number of applications. The execution in SoM was flawed, and a bit unpolished, but that doesn't mean the whole system should be scrapped. I'd love a game with a more polished version of it.

Doesn't matter if you brand him. Enemies can't stealth kill.