No Man's Sky is Not Bad

Am I the only one who still plays this? I mean i have no delusions. It's a 7/10 at best. I've modded it too include much bigger (and physically larger) variety of flora and fauna as well as more varied biomes and UI/Flight fixes. In this state I actually find it entertaining to jump from system to system and just forage and see what I can find. I usually play it for an hour or two at a time and enjoy it.

Am I the only one?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.spaceengine.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

NMS is bad.

I might play it after a year of patches and mod it out the ass for $20.

If you have to Mod a game to enjoy it. It's bad.

>Am I the only one who still plays this?

Nope, but the playerbase is down to 0.1% of the first day.
Rightfully so. It would be a bad sign, if people were able to make money off something like that.

Theres already a lot of mods for it. For instance, I have a lot to increase variety on every planet, some graphc fixes, and probably the mos important one is the low flight mod. This allows you to fly your ship all the way too, and below the planets surface. For instance, you can take your ship below the surface on water worlds and explore the planet to a large degree without ever leaving your ship. Pretty neat.

Sounds decent. AMaybe I'll pick it up during the Winter Sale, providing Mankind Divided and RE7 don't consume my time too much

Is not bad but its nothing special either, its no different than your regular Minecraft clone suvival game that comes up on Steam everyday

Besides, the "randomly generated" meme NEEDS TO FUCKING STOP. Give me a handcrafted map with lots of stuff to find, what is the point of billions of planets if i can't see them all

Unmodded its definitely very bland. The mods do improve it significantly if you approach the game as an exploration simulator and nothing more. Lowflight is a must but i also have bigger creatures installed which is a subjective improvement. It allows for giant flora and fauna. Imagine a giant overgrown mushroom forest world that is far too thick in vegetation too fly through so you must get out and explore on foot in order to find anything of worth. That kind of experience is impossible in vanilla.

>imagine a giant overgrown mushroom forest world that is far too thick in vegetation too fly through so you must get out and explore on foot
I don't have to imagine. I walked through Noctilum in XCX.
Also works fine for request
>Give me a handcrafted map with lots of stuff to find

>No Man's Sky is not bad !
>I do need to mod my game to play it otherwise it's shit, though

I never said that. It's not bad before modding, not great, but not bad. Modding it brings it up to a new level though.

It's boring, expensive, and there are other games that are much better. If you say it's good, it gives developers a sense that we are ok with mediocrity.
>implying this matters
>implying devs will ever stop pumping out mediocre shit that makes money anyway.

+$0.1 added to your accounts

oh look a $60 wallpaper creator

Ill give you that. Its way too expensive for what it is. Thats for sure. I think its worth 20 bucks or so.

If it was like 15 bucks I might buy it and play whenever I drop acid.

I'm not a degenerate drug user but yeah 15 bucks would be fine for this game. I imagine it'll be at that price before long.

If I want to roam a randomly generated universe mining resources, I'll play Starbound. At least with that you can make houses and shit. And at $15, it's a hell of a lot better of a value.

Now all the Terraria Fukboiz will go apeshit.

I mean I really wouldn't compare this game with starbound at all. Its first person and 3d. Completely different experience.

If you need mod to enjoy this game, it's bad

I like the base game as it is, so you are not the only one. Ignore the haters, like a game if you like it. Especially here of all places.

This shot is absolutely amazing.

le Cred Forums memes XD

It's not even good at that.
If you want a wallpaper creator, get Space Engine, it's free, and better looking.
en.spaceengine.org/

If you are unwilling or unable to rebut "the haters" on a forum for discussing video games, then maybe they have a point. Maybe you shouldn't even be here, user.

>follow the galactic center path
>warp 1600 light years total
>50 light years closer to the center

>turn on free-exploration
>warp 1600 light years directly towards the center
>only get ~400 light years closer

>go through a black hole
>you traveled 4.03441e-510 light years!
>only ~1500 closer to the center

>get a cheat engine table for infinite warp distance
>find out the distance traveled towards the center reduces for every light traveled towards the center

This shit just reeks of purposeful obfuscation of the facts, A, the center just throws you to the edge of a "different" galaxy, B, the generation scheme lacks sufficient articulation to even claim you'll see anything notably different in the "second" galaxy, C, there are still only 3 alien races, D, those two cunts (nikki and polo or something) will still be in the new galaxy, E, the game is shit.

omg so amazing how could anyone make something so beautiful wow what a game omg

My favorite part is the seamlessness of it all. I can fly from a local space station, warp to the nearest planet, dive below the planets surface, catalogue marine life, and do the same umpteen times without ever seeing a loading screen or experiencing a hitch without ever seeing a loading or having to pause the game in any fashion. I think that's pretty unique.

There's no need. You can give an argument and they'll simply go
>shut up sean
>shill
>troll
>reply with a shitpost
Case in point, the second faggot that replied to my first post. The fact that you say they have a point only proves MY point. I knew what the game was all about from day 1 and still bought it, full price. No regrets. It's not my fault if they got overhyped like with every other notable release.

That's mostly because the assets loaded are simple and lame.

>stop saying negative things!
>anyone who says negative things is just a negative-thing-sayer! they can be ignored!
>wow its so great how I can do just about nothing in this game

>The fact that you say they have a point only proves MY point.
>Y'see, by arguing I win by default ipso facto by disagreeing you are wrong la la la

What incredible hypocrisy.

>$78 million

Nope not playing mine craft in space

>This shot is absolutely amazing
A planet that appears to be almost completely flat with no detail at all put through an instagram filter?

It's simplistic yes but with mods it can look quite good.

>rolling grassy plains
>planets in the skybox on the horizon
>huge trees in valley below with bigass alien creatures moving together

It can be very impressive with the rigth setup. One of my biggest gripes is that the biomes are active on a planetary basis. For instance, you can't have an ocean planet with a desert somewhere else, or say a frosty polar snow cap on a forest planet. I wish someone would implement that and as an extreme geologically active elements like volcanoes would be pretty incredible. Those are both beyond the reach of mods though I believe.

>friend isn't well off
>saves some of her money to buy one game every so often
>wants to get comfy with nms
>its shit
I feel so bad for her, she insists on the fact that it's fun. Fuck this game

Explore the galaxy, analyze fauna and flora, mine and gather resources, battle with sentinels, find ruins and relics, interact with alien life, customize your mining tools to your leisure, name whatever you discovered for all to see, trade with others throughout the universe, use various ships to achieve your goal, to say the least.

Funny how in Super Mario Bros., you can do way less and yet look how well received it is. You can say whatever negative thing you have to say about this game, just like how I can say positive things about it and ignore what you're saying, just like you intend to ignore what I'm saying about the game.

See how that works?

See, you can downplay anything. I think it looks great from that far, and you don't. You're entitled to that opinion, just like how I'm entitled to say that it looks interesting.

There's also that whole problem of how you'll see roughly the same plants and animals on every planet, roughly the same geography, and roughly the same skyboxes. Furthermore the structures will all be identical and the space stations will be different only in exterior and the door style.

For the procedural generation code lacks any sort of ability to create anything remotely unique looking.

>steam reviews
>OVERWHELMINGLY NEGATIVE
>you can't say it's bad though because a handful of easy-to-please idiots had a subjectively good experience
LMAOing at ur life 2bh

>353461036
>Everyone else is saying negative things about the game, so that means you should, too!
Everyone that shit on the game are people who were mad they couldn't play with their shitty friends or grief people online. You only prove my point.

How about this: perhaps we shouldn't play semantics with what is "good" and "bad". Instead let's just play with facts about it's reception.

The majority of people don't like it. See Your marketing isn't paying you enough to be here. Go get another job.

>think I must be missing something
>all google results lead to the same three shitty polygon and IGN articles
>no actual wikis because no one's playing

>dive into steam forums
>find a huge thread about people obsessing over the minor procedural variations of static ruins (this one has squares, this one has HEXAGONS! WHAT DOES IT MEAN???) with people mentioning, regularly, there's no active code in any of it

so not only is this shit less than half a game, they didn't even finish what they put in

>353461216
>The majority of people don't like it, so that means you shouldn't, either.
>Liking the game means you're marketing it
Please, keep it coming. I need a good laugh.

variety is definitely a problem. It's like they didn't program enough variation and instead the formula expresses itself over a very narrow range. However, like my OP said, there are mods that address every single one of your issues. Vastly increased fauna and flora variety, all at various sizes, and geography that can vary quite wildly as well. However, your space station complaint is still legit. I don't believe there is a way to fix that.

no but this thread will only be filled with cancer

>not my fault if they got overhyped

Not your fault, but the actual fault of the guy who made the game. They weren't overhyped, they were lied to.

>game is shit because gameplay is shit
>mods to make bigger forests
>HEY GUYS IT'S TOTALLY FIXES EVERYTHING NOW IT'S 8/10 AT LEAST
Go away, Sean.

oh great, instead of giant tentacle dick trees, I can mod it so the dick trees can be all different sizes.

Nice strawman, idiot. I'm not saying you have to hate the game. I'm saying that you can't dismiss all the negative feedback as "lol ur just haters xD" just because you personally had a good experience. When the critical AND user reception of a game is OVERWHELMINGLY negative, it's objectively a bad game.

That's like saying a pile of dog shit doesn't smell bad because there's one guy on earth who thinks it smells good. Minority doesn't rule here.

Im no modder but the way the mods work is that they actually alter the algorithm the game uses to make it both more broad, and even make combos that weren't possible before. So you know that tentacle dick tree might be big, small, medium, a forest , or singular, or, get this, not even be a tentacle dick tree at all and be some other completely different plant with one of the aforementioned traits. It's really pretty neat in practice. It Vastly increases variety across the board which this game sorely needs.

So, tell me. What's the reason for everyone's soured opinion? Because I've seen this with other games, THIS place and all of the internet gets hyped up for no reasons, the game releases, they don't like it and proceed to hate on it. So, tell me. As someone who's satisfied with the game as it is, what's the big deal? Why all the hate?

You enjoy mining for minerals. We get it. It's a masterpiece.

It most likely has to do with the sequence of
>promise a ton of shit
>deliver none of it
>still try to claim the game is good

You still haven't answered my question.

It's all good. Just play the game and enjoy it.

I happen to be part of that majority. And I paid for the game and got a dull experience with no payoff or gameplay progression. Just an "ambience" that is the same for any planet I go to. Again, and again.

Glad I made you laugh.

Why do you upgrade your equipment? To do the same monotonous shit slightly faster in the game.

Are planets really different from one another? Seems like they're just different colors.

Why do your dialogue choices matter so little in the game? Roleplay is severely limited.

Why do creatures just... do nothing?

The world, in all it's galactic vastness, is as empty as your taste.

So you're implying that everyone who hates it has an invalid reason for hating it, yet you have an objectively correct reason for liking it?

Yep. Typical underage internet argument.

>Give me a handcrafted map with lots of stuff to find

The issue with that is you simply get less content. If it takes you a week to draw concept, sculpt, lowpoly, uv, rig, animate, and integrate a single character or you can spend x months creating a procedural generation system that has "infinite" character outcomes, you're always going to get more for your time with the procedural system.

If you want a shitload of meticulously handcrafted animals you're pretty much asking to have the game contain maybe 2-3 planets.

I still think 2-3 detailed planets would be nifty though it's not a whole lot.

no you're not the only one, it's you and about 500 others if I'm not mistaken

C'mon now. You can do it. Prove me wrong.

Thank you for proving skyrim is shit.

no man's sky only has about a quarter of one planet worth of content. each individual piece of that content was isolated and copy/pasted to every planet.

Most games are obviously repetitive, but this game takes the cake. It's the same world's with a different color and season. The creatures are boring as shit. There's barely any gameplay other than fishing for resources. It just isn't worth the 60 dollars. Maybe you enjoy it and that's great, I'm glad someone feels like they didn't waste money. I personally didn't buy it, I played it at a buddies house and I thought it was boring after the first hour.

Look, you don't need a graph or anything like that to prove there's a reason to hate the game and you wouldn't want to bring statistics into this because the player base has dropped significantly. People have the ability to not like things. Taste in games is completely subjective. Just enjoy your game and stop trying to "prove people wrong" when you're already in the wrong.

Guys I think you made him leave

What the fuck, couldn't you just agree to disagree? It's only a matter of opinion

My favorite planet so far was a paradise moon type. Standard climate was 20C, green shit everywhere, lots of animals, etc.

But every few minutes it'd have a storm that dropped the temperature to -120C. The animals completely ignored it. The trees didn't move. The grass was completely unaffected. The only thing these "storms" changed is a minor graphical effect on my screen that was supposed to be my space suit helmet and a blue bar appeared so it could decrease at a languid pace.

Just about sums up all the game's problems.

>still no counterargument
>"you're wrong because I personally like this game even though nearly 99% of its players were disappointed with it"
>"lol they don't have valid reasons for disliking this amazing game"
Typical fanboy faggot, go back to r/nomanssky

Too bad his opinion was wrong.

kekd

>Just enjoy your game and stop trying to "prove people wrong" when you're already in the wrong.
But I'm doing that, and I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong. I'm simply saying I enjoy the game and there seems to be a problem with that, as evidenced within this exact thread. They can't even give a reason as to why the game is hated on other than "x looks boring and lame".

That can applied to any fucking game ever made.

I'm surprised you still play it.
I played it for a week, it was alright, obviously Cred Forums was just being a bunch of overreacting babies because they thought it would be something else but I knew outright it would just be an exploration sandbox and all things considered it does that pretty well.

>Artist's vision

I'm used to vidya industry lies so like every game I play, I went into the game without any assumptions about the content and quality, so I wasn't disappointed but it's still clearly a shit game imho.

For the love of fuck, someone post the image with the list of empty promises to shut this fucking blabbering monkey up for good.

I got all the important technology upgrades within the first 10-15 hours of the game, then I proceeded to use cheat engine to start jumping star systems. When I realized there was literally nothing left to the game other than gathering fuel for your hyperdrive to make it to the center, I dropped that shit hard. I don't understand how anyone can derive fun from mining minerals and looking at the same randomly generated shit monsters for an extended period of time.

It's not awful like Cred Forums says it is but it is painfully meh.

You'll play it for maybe 10 hours if that and get bored and never play it again.

It really sucks because it was such a good concept and it could have been something great, and this shows with the game itself and a lot of the details in it.

It presents itself as something greater than what it is. It gives you objectives that seem important and vital to your experience but they end up being anticlimactic and not very rewarding. You'll spend forever doing the same shit over and over with little to no payoff.

Black and white comments like these show a severe lack of critical thinking skills and probably connect to a below average IQ.

Bigger isn't the same as physically larger?

Nobody cares about your shit taste
Posting about this shitty non-game should be bannable.
Please don't return here

>It would be a bad sign, if people were able to make money off something like that.
Don't kid yourself. They made bank off of this piece of garbage, and now companies are realizing how marketing and hype can make a shitty game sell like hotcakes. Anticipate bigger marketing budgets and smaller development budgets

>below average IQ.
Does anything say insecurity more than someone talking about IQ?

>and now companies are realizing
They've known that since the beginning. This is nothing new.

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

>user has the high ground
It's over!

You are probably the 1% who still plays that shit, honestly I can think of a large number of games to play instead of No Man's Buy, because even with fixes I still find it pretty boring for my taste, the idea is ok, but that's it.

Also I have no respect for Sean Murray, and honestly him and his game can fuck off, remember that this is a game that launched at $60, the delusion of charging $60 for this piece of shit baffles me

>7/10
No, not a hope in hell. Its like 5 at best, the problem is the game hyped itself up as the industry changer, when it was just a simple little indie game, the developers played into the hype and started saying and showing things that werent to be in the game, they were on the hype train. If it had no hype and was £20 it wouldve been fine, but this was sold as a AAA title and feels like a game engine made to present for another game, it is not a game in itself, it feels like it should be part of a bigger game.