twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

not bad - releasing on steam in just over a week

>Unity is covered by the party hat
I wonder if it's a sign

>why?
I hate creating assets

>nitl101.blogspot.com/

Well I said I'd be answering questions.

The 4 being fucked up is due to the scaling of the font, the gif was recorded at a resolution of like 567x383 or something in the Unity editor, hence it looking weird.

For anyone interested there's a demo on the website that's available for free.

>But what's the game user?
In short, Metroid clone.

Its going ok. the frame rate is a bit shit in the video though.

How can 2D images run so shit?

The recorder is shit. the actual game is like 333fps.

Why would you ever use Rigidbody for characters, why.
Character controller is absolutely fucking leagues better.

>I've never attempted game development before, The post

I just set up deltatime in GMS, it really wasn't hard and people have absolutely no excuse for shipping games at 30 fps because they forgot to do it

Even if you have a game that's already got a lot of content, if you properly used scripts and parents it doesn't take that long to make a global deltaTime variable that gets updated to a scale of 1.0 based on your target framerate in the early step and multiply every time-related calculation in your code by it

I'm dev'ing two games at the same time. Someone put me out of my misery

wat

just set the room speed to your desired fps

link? might buy it if it looks good

>I can't read
If you do that without having a controllable deltatime factored into your code, the game will run faster or slower when you change room speed

This is why so many indie GMS games are locked at 30 fps, because 30 is the default room speed and people don't realize they can change it until they're deep in development and they didn't properly set up their timing code

I just set room speed to 60.
What the fuck is DELTATIME?

Don't know whether to work on an rpg with rpg maker or do a strategy game.

I wouldn't have to learn anything new for the rpg but nobody will play rpg maker games unless they're amazing, and sinking months if not more than a year into something nobody will play doesn't suit me.

I wouldn't even plan to sell it I just want people to play it

>also if you are not making a game why?

Because I spent my time learning real skills like finances. Now a bunch of coders and IT nerds are working for my team earning the half of us.
But it looks like an interesting hobby

I'd like to make a game, but i really don't want to watch 1000 hours of gml tutorials.

Darling, please do us all a favor, and stop bragging. It's unbecoming.

make a shit with rpg maker. it takes zero effort. and if you are funny enough you can pass it of as satire

Stop making these fucking threads daily

It's something productive to talk about. What's wrong with it?

Just for the sake of asking, has anyone been able to use webtexture for Android in Unity5 without using that Vulforia shit? and if so wanna give some hints to why it's not for me?

Because if you make it every fucking day it turns into a general. we already have a general and its fucking shit, we don't need two shit generals.

okay but that halloween plant is spooky

Yes

Making a Unity asset for VR movement

I plan to put in every kind of movement I can think of
>Teleport to location/Move to the location over a period of time
>Move in direction of controller when holding a button
>Move in direction of head when holding a button
>Trackpad movement with the head being forward/or there being a default forward
>Move arms up and down to move in the direction you're facing

Any other suggestions?

currently I'm studying female anatomy
>yfw no cute girlfriend and she is so ugly that you don't like to see her nude.

question about your implementation of dT

from what I understand you use delta_time, save it into a "previousDeltaTime" variable, then measure the current delta_time in the next step and subtract the former from the latter, then multiply the result with whatever frame-based stuff you have
what does that subtraction return? single digits? fractions?
just how much does it mess with your previously set speeds?

Too lazy

How do I get motivated for the tedious parts of gamedev?

Released it this week but idk shit about marketing.

harrythearchfiend.itch.io/hearts-aces

nevermind, I just checked
reading out delta_time returns a real 16666 microseconds at 60fps for me

multiplying EVERY step based action with that number seems to be incredibly annoying to deal with since everything will suddenly run at super fast speeds, won't it?
how did you deal with that?

Do you know how steam pays you for your game outside the US? Is it complicated or not?

they take 30%

I am more interested in doing pathfinding algorithms and AI, but maybe a game can be created around it.

I have something like a mix of the sims and dungeon keeper (without digging) in mind. You are playing as a satrap of a fictional mongolian-like province, and your local ruler sold soul to demons, so now monsters flood the country. Setting looks like picrelated and Jean Leon Gerome paintings in general.
You have to build economy in top-down view and attract heroes by building their guilds and helper buildings which sell stuff for heroes., like potions and armor. Then said heroes will try to level up and get ready to attack an enemy castle. Heroes can't be controlled directly, but can be steered towards some specific goal. So base gameplay is to spend your money on proper buildings for the situation while keeping eye on the heroes and helping them with indirect orders or some kind of spells when needed.

Would someone play a game like that?

It depends on a lot of things but its usually 30% if you're a little bitchass indie who valve can afford to not put on steam.

What papers do I have to make before I submit a game to steam greenlight?

Not him, but here's how I have mine set up, on a gameManager object:

//Game Start event
global.gameSpeed = 1;
global.delta = 0;
global.deltaPreGameSpeed = 0;

//Begin Step event
global.deltaPreGameSpeed = 16666.66667 / delta_time;
global.delta = global.deltaPreGameSpeed * global.gameSpeed;

The 16666.66667 is the result of 1 / 60 (the room speed I have set) * 1000000, because delta_time uses milliseconds. That means global.delta will be on a scale of 1 based on your target framerate, so you can just cleanly plug it into your existing time code set up around single frame updates without it throwing any numbers off.
Instead of moving by a flat number every update, move by that same flat number * global.delta. Now your game won't slow down if it lags on someone's shitbox, and if forever reason you want to make the game 30 fps via 30 room speed, you can just change the math that calculates global.delta to scale it around 30.

gameSpeed and deltaPreGameSpeed are so I can manually slow the game down for cool effects, with the latter being used on things I want to maintain full speed like an ability that slows the whole game down around the player.

Yeah but you gotta' go back and fix every single one, and if you're changing first-derivative values like speed, rather than position, you need to square some stuff.

>if you're changing first-derivative values like speed, rather than position, you need to square some stuff.
Why? Unless I'm missing something, if you set your delta up to a scale of 1 at your new framerate you don't actually need to change anything.

I'm actually not entirely sure, but I know that this:

speed += 30 * 5 / room_speed

will produce the incorrect result while this:

speed += 900 * 5 / sq(room_speed)

will produce the correct one.

I don't really understand what's going on there, and given that the first one results in 2.5 and the second gives you 580.9475019311125 I'm pretty sure that isn't true.

That code doesn't even use delta_time, if you just do what's in you shouldn't have to fuck with anything and it'll just work. it maintains your game speed when the framerate drops AND you have a single value to control speed if you change room speed

Having some fun with the AI, still seems a bit bugged with who they shoot and the fact that they can't cancel out of any of their tasks.

Check your math. The first produces 2.5 @ 60 and 5 at thirty. The second produces 1.25 @ 60 and 5 at thirty.

And that's exactly what I want, because I always want the speed variable at 60 frames per second to be half of what it is at thirty, but because the calculation that accelerates/decelerates ticks twice as often at 60 as it does at 30, I need to be adding a /quarter/ of what I would add at 30.

nvm, got it working! xD

Last night I made it so enemies can cast spells. I can specify a list of spells and skill levels for each enemy. When they spot the player, it will pick a random time and once the game time reaches that time, they can cast a spell, assuming all the other conditions are met. Then a new random time is chosen.

But why waste your time with that shit when you can do the exact same thing more cleanly and with more control by just using a global time scale variable?

I'm almost finished with a fully customized rpg maker game, but it's in french.

I don't know how to code, that's holding me back.

is that motherfucking Stroheim?

Because I didn't consider doing it?

game goes gud.

This is looking really good user.

Yall have an approximate release date?

Not sure if it's worth it anymore. May as well just invest my time into making soome business software than vidya desu.

Passion can only get you so far, but you getta git dat money first, and gaming is very weak source of income.

Got a powerup working today.

I dont want to make a game because I dont want to be a part of the unoriginal, boring trash creators that flood steams front page with their shovelware-tier crap.

>the edge, the post

Sound like a worse version of majesty and that game is boring and grindy after the first four hours. The lackluster sales of the sequel tells you exactly what everyone think of that garbage.
Just like for Boredom Saga 2.

Most people never play it past the first two though since the setup order to win is too obvious no matter the objectives are.

But I bet your ideas are really good.

at least he recognizes it

if you go on reddit it's just tons of people like "I started my first game ever and I'm two weeks in, is my pixel platformer ready for greenlight?"

i dont know where to start. would like to make a kickboxing game

Majesty was awesome though. Majesty 2 was trash because every mission was exactly the same.

I feel burnt out
I want to progress but it doesn't matter what, when I try to do stuff I just don't feel like it and I spend most of my time browsing the internet or staring at the ceiling on my bed
What do I do to recover my drive? I play games now and then but it isn't helping either

Majesty 2 is trash for you is because you already memorize the setup and it is just more of the the same from Majesty with harder difficulty.

And that you probably have the autism.
For most gamers, it's not fun after the initial new type of gameplay glow is gone and the realization that they are just playing a clicker with generic fantasy graphics.

somewhere in the next 2-4 months.

nice, i'll check back in 2 mo.

Thanks, I guess you are right.

If it's your first game, it's always recommended for it to be a test in which you just try things and finish a complete project as soon as possible and move on from there.

But it looks like your problem is your focus. It's hard to say whether you should pursue spending time in games if you don't enjoy the process of having an awesome idea, implementing it, struggling to make it fit with everything else you had before, and watching it gloriously emerge at the end for yourself and maybe others to admire. I guess... if you just it to be played... focus on studying your audience a lot, what ticks them, and go on from there

Any books you guys would like to recommend for C#?

Allocate time to dev into the time you spend to gain your main source of income. As little as it is. Just keep at it and keep improving. Make it a hobby. Enjoy it and it may be enjoyed

>not just using a fixed timestep

I can come up with interesting prototypes but can't complete my projects. It's as if once the game has any semblance of complexity or balance required I give up and have to move on to another concept/prototype. Help

I just realized the finite state machine I implemented last week was set up wrong, so I redid it all today.

Currently though I'm having an identity crisis with my game. It was originally supposed to be an action platformer, but now I don't know if that's the best idea. The player switches between different powers, but the powers are based off film genres. Not sure if I should make it more like an adventure game where not all power-ups have to do with defeating enemies.

sweet, thank you

Your Per has icon confused with Cha or App, otherwise its pretty cool.

yes. im making a fan made jojo game.

I'm honestly very lazy and in a cycle of wanting to make a video game and never doing it.
How do I get the full motivation to do so?

>implying gamemaker and construct are better

we should trade portraits

I've been trying to start 10+ years. I've been in several small team projects where I contributed very little.

Not trying to be negative but unless you can find the motivation yourself and sustain it, you're shit out of luck.

Make your scope absurdly fucking small. Maybe even pick something like creating levels for another game, since you don't have to learn code for that.

>global.deltaPreGameSpeed = 16666.66667 / delta_time;
Isn't that the wrong way around though?
Your delta_time will be greater the lower your framerate is, so if it dips down to 30fps you'll have twice the delta_time meaning the fraction will be 0.5 and not 2 (which is what you want to double the speed at half the framerate).

>gaming is very weak source of income.
How true is this? What if I'm a one man army? What if I'm neet?

Hey, I wanna dev two games at the same time.

Hey, I loved Majesty 2.

What happened to the post responding to this?

I'm involved with 3. GOML.

I deleted because I realized I was wrong and I'm retarded

You're right, I tried setting my room speed to 30 and the game ran at quarter speed. I originally got this system from someone else, so I guess he screwed up.
I'm shit at math, do you know what I'd need to do to make it go in the right direction?

>I'm shit at math, do you know what I'd need to do to make it go in the right direction?
you just got the fraction the wrong way around

just do the ol' switcharoo and make it
>global.deltaPreGameSpeed = delta_time / (1/60)

so you'll always have values >1 for framerates

Why do they disappear into oblivion?

Jesus christ I'm a retard
Thank you though

They died.

I also fixed the fact that they killed team mates, still need to fix so they all don't shoot the same target and fix so they can interrupt their tasks and start a new one.

it's the time between last and current frame. if you use it you can have your game run at uncapped fps and not go extra fast

It means framerate lag on someone's shitty computer won't make the game's time run slowly, just the framerate. It also means you can change that room speed if you ever need or want to without having to rewrite all your timing-related code

I'm deciding if I should use drawn or real life pictures as battlebacks

I'm making a beat 'em up in gamemaker.

Could someone tell me why this code for landing from a jump results in the shadow moving downwards a single pixel with each landing? Consistently happens at 30fps, never happens at 60fps.

>//check for landing and commence landing
if (y + vsp > obj_player_shadow.y) {
while(y < obj_player_shadow.y) {
y += sign(vsp);
}
vsp = 0;
velocity = jumpspd;
state = scr_player_movement;
}

The logic behind it is that both my player sprite and my shadow sprite have their origins so that I can use the shadow's origin to declare a "landing position" for my player sprite. And it seems it causes the shadow to move in +y direction by a single pixel with almost every jump.

correction:
it DOES happen in 60fps, but after several jumps
seems like some value is building up and then "popping" the shadow into position so that code is probably not at fault

Going alright, made some progress today.
Having some trouble using .ini files and coding save/load games because I didn't design my game with the main character being persistent
Any tips and tricks for saving and loading games?

What the fuck kind of game is this? Give me more details about your game please.

welp, I figured it out, all fault goes to delta time

it made it so that the y+vsp I was checking for was some value like 300.9, the player.y 290.9 and the shadow.y was 295 and so the while loop started iterating my player.y by 1 every step until player.y was equal to or greater than shadow.y
>290.9
>291.9
>292.9
>293.9
>294.9
>295.9
and suddenly player.y is suddenly far greater than shadow.y and the shadow would readjust after a few jumps by popping down one pixel

lesson learned, be careful with your iterations when using delta time

I tried rewriting my platformer engine over the weekend but it still sucks ass and lets me clip through walls easily.

It's a speedrunning feature

jesus guys, thanks for the delta time stuff I just implemented a super fun ZA WARUDO button in my game

You’re a novice monk trapped in a magic forest with a demon that is actively corrupting it, and you need to find a way to stop him. The forest is inhabited by talking animals and other magic creatures, and some of them join you to help you save their home from the demon and its minions

I haven’t made a portrait for the monk and the fourth party member, so that’s why they have no portraits yet

> Come home looking forward to a weekend of productivity and writing my design brief/plan for my game
> Little brother (I shit you not) tries to unplug his USB stick but ends up corrupting ~1/5th of system 32

I love that kid but fucking hell, how do you fuck up so badly?

>tries to unplug his USB stick but ends up corrupting ~1/5th of system 32
HOW?

That's all I've said all day, multiple times. I ended up managing to get Windows to refresh itself using a usb with installation media on, but all our drivers have to be reupdated. Still it took me all day (alongside visiting family and stuff) to finally get it working.

>Overcooked was made by two guys on Unity Personal Edition
Well fuck me, that's inspiring

Now here's an user that loves lag

interesting. what are the advantages of using deltatime at 60fps vs. game logic speed of 60fps - assuming Im locking the game to 60fps.

bump

Working on interface stuff, and I finally added a continue system. Nothing exciting enough to make a new webm.

I need condescending messages for the game over screen, so if you've got any fire away.

then if the game drops below the target framerate, it'll only affect the display rate and not the actual rate of the game.

Need to revise spritework and add a bit more motion.

you get a really fucking easy way of doing a pause menu or any time-related things you might want to do mechanically in your game, like hitstop or speed debuffs etc.

also, your game will not break for people who can't reach 60fps

peter griffin game

How do I make non-human characters that aren't furries?

i lack the concentration to do anything constructive

Does it count as a real game if I'm just using Java and swing, and no engine?

Gonna take a break from my main game and work on a spooky Halloween game.
I finally got OpenGL working, so this seems like a good opportunity to learn how to use it.

Make them cute

>using java for games

Trying to get my sprite moving in GMS:P, got it from humble bundle and decided to start a small project first rather than what i was going to do originally. Went from Unity(for the 3D) for a 2D top down game.

I haven't done any coding since a C++ class I took in middle school, over ten years ago. I got GMS on sale via the humble bundle, got through most of Shaun Spaulding's tutorials, and now I'm just clawing my way through spritework and trying to keep learning bits of code. I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm having fun. Being flat broke is also great incentive to get something out there.

Can you be a little bit more precise? What do you want to do exactly with the sprite? Do you want to actually move a sprite or an object?

I'm going to sound ignorant as hell because it's my first time trying to use this engine; but I suppose I'm trying to make the sprite into an object which will be the player character, and create movement for it. In every video guide I watch, it says I'm on the creating an object part of it.

Gonna make a simple Gunman Clive-like for /agdg/'s Halloween Jam. Just started today so its all placeholder boxes, but I've got basic movement, shooting and animation controls down. Gonna throw together some basic enemies tomorrow and get some gameplay going.

Now I just need to know what you'll be playing as. A spooky skelly? An imp? Jack o Lantern/tonberry-ish thing?

Yeah you are in the right path, there is a difference between a sprite and an object because an object can have code inside of it and it can have a hitbox, but you can still draw only a sprites inside a room. Its good to make the distiction.

Note taken, thanks user! I'm gonna see if I can get it moving.

Threadly reminder that lostboy.exe came from gamedev threads.

No problem ^_^
I am still an amateur too, but if you need help with anything you can contact me at [email protected]

go to object0/make a new object, set the sprite of that object to what you just made
sprites are just the graphics, everything you do with a character is in an object

you're gonna want to look up player movement in GM after that, maybe do something like this to get started
//code action in step event:
var m_speed=5;
if (keyboard_check(vk_up)) { y-=m_speed; }
if (keyboard_check(vk_down)) { y+=m_speed; }
if (keyboard_check(vk_left)) { x-=m_speed; }
if (keyboard_check(vk_right)) { x+=m_speed; }
//end of code

also, add a room, put the object in the room

GM's not hard at all, but I was confused on how to get going with it too when I first opened GM5 back in 2004 or so.

>I'm shit at math
>programming vidya game
You're gonna carry that weight, user.

Can using blueprint in UE4 help you understand how programming in C++ works, or are they completely unrelated?

added spinners

still need to get enough platform gimmicks and whatnot implemented so I can actually go design some stages that aren't just "hold right, hop over these blocks, hold left, hold right" x20

I would recommend to create a Create Event for the var m_speed=5; only. This code will run only the time the instance is created. (an instance is an individual copy of the object), It wont make a difference right now but its good to have in mind for the future.

Does the player character have friction?

completely unrelated

it can teach you what functions are available (ie how to use unreal), but that's about it

Is a 2d arpg a dead genre to try to green light or should we try anyway?

yes

but it (and gravity) get disabled for like 8 frames after getting shot from a spinner so it can actually launch the player in the indicated direction without getting bogged down

You'll get to know it at face value (what different variable types there are, what you can use with them) but to understand C++ you just have to do it.

Nice. If i can make a suggestion, add an airdash (just because I like airdashes)

>also if you are not making a game why?
because i hate literally everything that goes into making it because of my inability/lack of patience to do anything

Give me ideas for a short halloween RPG

I see, thanks for the answers anons

I've considered it. I like airdashes too.

but I kind of don't want to add it to this game
was going to do walljumps as well, but also decided against it (actually, why the fuck does everything seem to have walljumps nowadays?)

I saw your game development in the AGDG threads. It looks fucking awesome. Good luck on continuing development on Monolith, man.

man, now I'm wondering if GM's dynamic variable system prevents the compiler from caching variables or not, so it doesn't have to set it each frame

like, it probably does set it each frame (there's a lot more of this sort of code in my game than should be, and it keeps the value near to where it's actually being used), but there are more intensive issues I should look into (a lot of objects have individual frame counters instead of just using one global one)

but my game shows no sign of slowing down, Studio is fast as fuck, even with hundreds of objects like this
most of the issues I have with performance in Studio are because I really like additive blending -- that breaks the draw call batching, causing a fuckton of avoidable GPU overhead because it switches blend modes back and forth (doesn't actually slow the game down, but the debug bar does show a lot of GPU time)
really, I could batch the majority of additive drawing myself, so it's done by one or two objects and switches blend modes once instead of hundreds of times, I'm just lazy

Thanks user, I've got everything together now, some of my code is looking bad, but once I get it down, my character SHOULD be moving. The beauty of working in engines lol

Also, realistic animal heads work too.

how do I make a game with zero programming knowledge?

Blueprints

It's possible using programming assets. But don't use the cheap/free Unity Art Assets. Everyone knows what they are. And they stick out like a sore thumb.

If you have no interest in learning how to program, try out Gamemaker's drag and drop system. If you want to try to learn, go for Unity.

I'm in your situation as well, either try to learn about programming through tutorials and books or use programming assets/work with a programmer. My friend who programs stuff daily helps check my code and what not.

link to more?

switching to vulkan and redoing a lot of work

Something something haunted house something something monster girls.

I want to make something cute and simple like pic related, monster girls would require too much work unless it's one or two since I want to be done before the end of the month

Are spooky games like ghosts n gobilns still viable, or does it have to be puzzle platformers with military and zombies?

I haven't worked on my game in months due to some real life stuff, but I think I'm finally ready to work on it again. Not sure if anyone remembers it though.

Here's a gameplay video: youtube.com/watch?v=hX0MEe_T9d0

Oh man I was waiting for you to come back. I thought you had died
I love the battle music

change to "hot tip" and you're golden

Git gud

Kidd Radd Tactics Advance is probably the most memorable game I've seen here, considering how many different concepts it's marrying together and the style with which it does so

Sadly, I haven't been able to play the demo, since I never did kick this Ubuntu shit. But I'll get 7 or something on here one of these days

Will you add controller support or different keybinds someday? I got confused and wasted turns by pressing S instead of X
Also make fight mode turn on automatically when close/hit an enemy (maybe add it in the settings as "fight mode: smart, close or manual")

GM:S can export to Linux. I'll see if I can install an Ubuntu VM and export it...

The latest demo lets you change the controls (but doesn't support gamepads yet sorry). I've already changed the default "wait" key to control instead of S (now both S and X make you move down, so you can move around with WASD and just use QEZC to move diagonally when needed).

I might be removing fight mode entirely and changing to instanced battles (i.e. bump into enemy -> teleport to battle room with "fight mode" turned on). Still thinking about it.

That's not text!
Good idea. I've made it cycle though a few different variations.
Already in there.

"Ask your mom for tips"

>I'll see if I can install an Ubuntu VM and export it
Shit, man, you don't have to do that. Linux just doesn't do games and there's dozens of reasons I need to switch anyway. That 1% market share probably isn't worth your effort.

>I might be removing fight mode entirely and changing to instanced battles (i.e. bump into enemy -> teleport to battle room with "fight mode" turned on)
I'd be really sorry to hear that, since having battles on the field is a really nice feature it looks like you've already got working. What design hurdles are making you think of dropping it?

"tell your mom I left the money on the dresser"

"Why not play with something easier, like the volume control."

laughed harder than I should have

The Linux thing really isn't a big deal, would take maybe an hour just to test it out.

>What design hurdles are making you think of dropping it?

Well with the new combat system (with knockbacks/combos/etc.) it's really easy to gang up on a single enemy and defeat them without taking any damage. And it's a bit awkward in cramped places.

It just feels way more fun when you're in an open space fighting large groups of enemies. I guess I could just design the actual world to have more of this sort of encounter... or maybe just play with the numbers to somehow make single enemies more threatening. Plus the whole "fight mode" toggle seems to confuse/annoy a lot of people.

I agree that in-world combat is a nice feature - I'll keep trying to make it work for now, but instanced combat was just something I was thinking about as something to test.

>tfw a lot of people download your game but almost no one says anything

can't code

what is lostboy.exe ? Malware ?

Yeah fight mode feels a bit clunky
Try out the instaced stuff, if you balance the game for it it could work
But how will enemies act in the overworld? Would they chase you with unique patterns depending on the enemy? Or would it be random battles as you walk (plz no)

Yes they'll still chase you. It'd be like in Paper Mario / Earthbound where the enemies try to run up to you and if they touch you -> battle starts.

youtube.com/watch?v=nrtehmzSTbE

How about
"hey dipshit, try not to die on the first level next time"
"Be glad, it takes a lot of skill to fuck up that bad"
"Cry, cry for me so I can sail on a river of tears"
"Just remember, no matter how bad it gets and how much you want to quit, I'll be here to film it and make money off of your tears"

tried to make spinners slightly magnetic to make it easier to hit them when chained
>slightly magnetic
>slightly

not too hard to fix, but it's pretty silly
might actually make a strong magnet trap like this as a gimmick, with a big-ass glowing field around it so you know where the magnetism is

Honestly, what I dislike most about battle transitions is where every interesting overworld landmark disappears and you get transported to an empty room with the same tileset. If you did something like Chrono Trigger where bumping into an enemy causes them and their buddies to jump into the nearest combat positions on the overworld I wouldn't mind.

If it's hard for players to grasp the combat transition, maybe make the trippy backgrounds redder/faster/more aggressive when you're in combat or something.

Could use it as a method of gaining speed too. Gravity slingshots are cool as hell.

huh, I like the sound of that a lot
also, turns out making them magnetic just fucks up your own attempts to hit the spinners, so I'll make it into a separate gimmick

same user reporting in; I finally got the object moving and a solid code for all WASD player movement!! thank you so much anons!!!!!! it may have been a simple thing in the grand scheme of things but I am happy.

What's a good program to make sprites in?

aseprite

I got told they looked too much like Isaac Funkopops, so I'm trying to settle on a new art style.

Thank you. Have something in return.

Finished modeling my main NPC yesterday, Pretty happy with how he looks.

Depends on what you're going for. The one on the right is more detailed, but the one one the left is cuter. I prefer the right.

It doesn't look much like a pop to me. What kind of game is it?

Nigga, what software are you using? That looks dope

WELL LOOK AT THESE HANDS

Ha ok, well I did try to improve the hands (posted an old screenshot)

Maya, it's not a sculpt or anything I just model so thing look appealing in mesh without normal maps.

is he a dad

It goes well the two times a month I work on it.

Damn, good job. I was about to ask if that was the highpoly model but It looks like that could possibly used ingame.

I'm shit at programing so I'm slowly learning. Great ideas and art skills though.

Spooky Animal Crossing. My coder left so its really just a pile of assets right now.

>tfw have the skill, programming and production knowledge to make a decent game in Unity but work full time, am in grad school, and learning another language so my tower defense/ platformer hybrid will never reach fruition because not enough time

It's slowed down. I'm just about done with the player's features. I have some mob and boss designs drawn. I just need to implement those and I can have a level going. But I'm procrastinating hardcore. It feels like the next stage of development after all the shit I just went through, and I'm exhausted.

>tfw you can program and understand the engine inside and out but artists are all entitled assholes who want to be paid thousands of dollars for simple assets

Christ. As a coder if I think a game is cool I'll work on it regardless of pay. I

Thank you! He comes in at 18k, so he's good for in-game as a lod0 for cutscenes and close ups. He's lower than the MC who comes in at 29k

Coders always dump extra work on artists mid-project. Make something playable and maybe I'll dress it up for you once its functional.