How were you supposed to know to go right to Undead Burg from Firelink Shrine...

How were you supposed to know to go right to Undead Burg from Firelink Shrine? The Graveyard is right there and so is Anor Londo. And if you got the master key, you could easily end up in Valley of the Drakes and then get fucked up in Blighttown. So, spare me the dramatics. This game is a disoriented mess made my shit game designers.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1zPXwnfo7CQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

New Londo Ruins*

nice, this thread again

Dark souls is the worst thing to ever happened to the videogame industry in the last ten years.

Git good and kill Quelagg's first. Do the tutorial bosses in reverse order.

Quelagg took me a few tries.. Had to have Mildred help me. I'm terrible..

Nah.

It's obvious where to go because in all those areas, you easily get fucked up by the enemies. But because everyone pushed the "lol so hard XD" meme, then a first time player might think these enemies are intentional and this is the right way to go.

Exactly. This is why the game is over-hyped and stupid.

Yes it is.
It went to the tomb of archaic and primitive videogame design, unburied it, gave it a coat of shitty paint while discarding all the evolution videogames had experienced in the past decade and sold it.
People stopped playing games like it for a reason.

You're supposed to try every area until you find the path of least resistance. You shouldn't need to be TOLD this unless you're an underage babby who has never played a game made before 2005.

this

why didn't dark souls have QTEs and hour long cutscenes? and the story makes NO sense, why can't they just explain it to me???

>a first time player might think these enemies are intentional and this is the right way to go.

I wonder how one could even think that, given that nothing in the Asylum takes more than two or three hits and the boss that towers over you only like ten.
Meanwhile the skellingtons fuck your shit up and the ghosts can't be hit so a normal functioning person should come to the conclusion that MAYBE those aren't the paths you're supposed to go right now.

It would be one thing to waste countless hours on various levels to get a 100%, it's another thing to waste countless hours on a level because you actually want to progress in the game.. Spare me the dramatics.

First time i played the game i started with the cemetery got rekt a few times and decided to go a different way, next on my list was new londo, gave it a few tries wasted the transient curses didnt get far went to the burg next, reasonable enemies ezpz no hard feelings about going the wring way because it was fun and a good lesson about how stuff works dont really see whats the problem

Trying to make this thread less shit:

Do you guys think Dark Souls has had a significant impact on the industry?

About as much as Gurren Lagann had on the mecha genre.

The tutorial bosses all have a specific safe space that you need to be moving into to avoid taking damage. Quelagg's is backwards to the left and she literally can't hit you except for her pounce.

Just stay just outside of melee range and she'll perpetually chase you with attacks too slow to hit you, and eventually expose her weak spot for you to attack her for massive damage. Gargoyles is trickier, but you can destroy the adult Gargoyle's tail quickly and take away an unpredictable element of their moveset. At first they seem like the same monster but bigger gargoyle has a much higher threat profile. Gaping Dragon is laughable once you stand back and actually pay attention. Capra Demon is legitimately difficult to fight head on and presents the player with a wall to overcome. Taurus Demon is similar in this regard if you want to fight the enemy head on, but similar to Quelagg there is a safe space to fight from. Butterfly can't hit you if you dodge properly. That leaves Fire Drake and Golem before hitting Anor Londo and the Smough/Ornstein combo that presents the game's first capable humanoid fighters.

If you've been fighting and killing black knights, Ornstein and Smough essentially represent a difficulty curve similar to when you were figuring out how to kill the knights. Either way if you got this far you probably know enough about the game mechanics to be able to deal with whatever the game can throw at you.

Do you realize Gurren Lagann did nothing new and it was just a Getter Robo repackage, right?

Hell yeah, it put an end to the cancer of CoD and all the other Halo wannabees. Suddenly TPS is cool again.

It made a few companies realize there are many people who enjoy difficult games. I wouldn't call it significant but it's something.

you're why DS3 is a linear piece of turd

Not really.

Congratulations, you managed to interpret my post.

Except the game does give you the ability to press into those areas if you are skilled enough a player.

Im curious as to what is this evolution you are talking about that is so much better than dark souls game design

Naw dude I think early access and first day dlc is worse for gaming that dark souls

>it's another thing to waste countless hours on a level
That's called "learning how to play the game". If you think getting good at a challenging game is a waste of time, you should probably find a new hobby.

Gothic 1&2 also lets you kill trolls with a rusted sword at a low level and yet you still wouldn't do it as a first time player.

>Demon's Souls is the best thing to ever happened to the videogame industry in the last ten years
ftfy

When crestfallen told me there are two bells and one is above I instinctively look for a way to go above.
Below tends to be scarier.

Some NPC tells you to follow an aqueduct

Speak for yourself. I played Thief my first time.

Or reach the conclusion that isn't the right direction, but fuck you, if I can, I will go there!

Actually made the game a lot of fun.

Though yeah, I *was* made reaching the end of the Tomb of Giants only to have to climb it all back again.

Made the second third of the game a breeze thouh.

>Hear game is notoriously hard
>Get owned just out of tutorial area
>Go the other way, get owned again
>Give up on game without even exploring the third way, which is the "right" way for newbies
People like this don't deserve Dark Souls.

>Start out pyro
>Get zwei
>Grind str, end
Welcome to fucking easy mode lol
>tfw pleb
>tfw stumbled across zwei and did this on first playthrough, but as a mage instead of pyro

Like I told the other guy. I fought the skeles and explored the drake valley long before I went up the aqueduct. Still took me forever to figure out how to open up all the shortcuts.

Bone Dragon made me lol.

You get fucked up in the graveyard and say ok I'll look somewhere else.

>stamina barely ever depletes
>you can dodge six times in a row then immediately counterattack

Christ this looks awful.

Maybe we can make souls games better

Just like everything else with these games, you get around the bad design by googling it.

Good writing, narrativa, characters, plot and story
Checkpoints
Guiding the player instead of just drop him in the middle of the game without telling him anything
Non artificial difficulty
Being able to choose the difficulty level
Non trial and error gameplay
Being able of FUCKING PAUSE

he's over leveled for the demo

reminder to report niohspammer

Quelaag was harder than Ornstein and smough

youtube.com/watch?v=1zPXwnfo7CQ

holy shit

Or, you get fucked up in the graveyard and assume the skeles are hiding good loot. Which they are. The game rewards determination from the very start.

Not really. The only way she can kill you is by surprise AoE. Which isn't really a surprise as much as you weren't looking for it

Quelagg was a fucking cakewalk with crystal weapon w/ lightning buff.

(You)

To each their own, if you're having fun that way more power to you, but makes no sense to me.

Half the fun of those games is the exploration and the finding out. Going to a wiki is like (or using a guide in its time) is like not wanting to play the game.

>Good writing, narrativa, characters, plot and story
>Checkpoints
>Guiding the player instead of just drop him in the middle of the game without telling him anything
>Non trial and error gameplay
All of these things are cancer. The ones I took out were the ones I think are decent, but these things honestly can make a good game really bad really fast if they're done in the "unique" way they have been in recent times.

This happened to me. I cleared the asylum with my broken sword and when I landed in firelink shrine I went down to the graveyard with that same broken sword and gave up on the game because I thought it was just legitimately that hard I gave up after I saw the skeletons kept respawning and really only came back after the AotA was released on PS3. My retardation fucked me over not afraid to admit it.

I was doing a blind run but quelaag killed me 4 times and only died once to O and S, that was pretty easy just kite them and tap when there's an opening, Quelaag was a lot more unpredictable with more varied attacks not to mention having to worry about backpedaling into lava. Was way harder to get an opening on her for me

That image enrages me because oversimplifies DaS2 while overcomplexifies DaS3

Finding a safe place to rest is your pause faggot.

you might like this one better, though this one still needs some minor adjustments

Here's the superior version

>Plot and story
All games sans Bloodborne and maybe DaS2 (mostly because the story goes assbackwards halfway through. Or rather starts assbackwards before getting to the point halfway through) have extremely clear story. The details are missing but the reason you're there is very very straightfoward. More than most games.

S' interesting. I always have a fucking nightmare with Ornstein/Smough and I walk all over quelagg's just by manipulating her attack patterns. I have difficulty doing that with Ornstein/Smough due to Ornstein's speed and Smough's range, especially when i'm trying to fight them both at once.

kind of sad how accurate that das3 one is

Perfect. Thanks.

this picture is bullshit
what about the multiple paths in the shaded woods? the alternative pathway to lost bastille? plenty alt-paths in DSII exist just a lot of them are unnecessary

that one is just a troll image to get (you)s

this one is a lot more accurate

Yeah sure but there's tons of design decisions that call for metagaming

And ironically it still doesn't disguise the problem with DaS3's map: it still is a straight line.

GIT

The original context was "this is how I remember them", it's not meant to be an accurate map. But yeah it's just a perpetuation of the "DaS2 is bad" meme.

Like?

I played and finished all 3 DaS without a wiki, and I'm not exactly the most hardcore player ever.

You can totally do without. Granted, I play offline. I have no idea how covenants/PvP impact play.

>Tried to get past cemetery a few times
>This is obviously too hard right now. This is a RPG, so maybe we are meant to come here later?
>Oh there's a path up there, I wonder where it leads to
>The enemies are manageable and you can proceed

Its like you shitters don't even vidya.

People who hate Dark Souls are probably babies born in 95 or later that can't handle challenge. Go back to candy crush pls.

I actually have a number of ideas, but I know literally nothing about any decent game dev suites like Unreal Engine or Unity. I know how to use YoYoGames Game Maker, but the last time I even did that was before YoYoGames bought it.

NIOH

Go to the place where you die the least.

so it is still pretty accurate then. das2 is just "pick a direction a go straight"

no different than das3 there are just a couple more directions to pick.

The keks are palpable.

I'm reminded of the reactions of people playing Super Metroid for the first time...

I'd rate the skeles as simple-to-moderate difficulty for a new player. Until you get a handle of how dodging & parrying works they're going to get plenty of hits in.

Though again, the game gives you access to the mace if you explore like you should be. Confident, Observant players using the Thief class stand a high chance of finding it and curbstomping the graveyard.

"I prefer linear hand holding games" the post.

That was basically me. I knocked out my first skele, ran, and watched it get back up. That made me decide to sweep the area for treasure, and I found my sweet baby Zweihander. It's currently buffed with Enchantend +5 and serving me very, very well.

The main thing that people had a problem with in DaS2 (besides the area layout not making any sense) is that each of the paths led to dead ends which made it feel like the second half of DaS1 except for an entire game. What would've been nice is if we got the first half Dark Souls 1 interconnectivity but for a whole game. Instead Dark Souls 3 just gave us one line with winding paths that led only to a few pick ups and one or two optional areas. The irony here is that DaS3 is the opposite of Bloodborne which actually IS the first half of DaS1 for an entire game except that a large percentage of bosses are optional and mandatory bosses must be killed in a set order which makes it more linear than it should be.

So, Who else go to the graveyard first in stead of Undead Burg? Admit it.

Yep, you're pretty much where I am before I stopped pushing the bosses and started experimenting with sorceries/pyromancies. Currently trying a Str/Int hybrid lol.

Just explore. Not every video game is going to hold your hand, faggot.

I ran past the ogre humanoids near blight-town and died to toxic attacks lol.

I have a nice STR/FAI/INT spread with enough END and DEX to manage, but that ends up meaning I slow roll with decent armor and my HP is pretty low. Well worth it, IMO. Being a glass cannon isn't a liability in a Souls game unless you have no reflexes.

Stuff like what weapon to use, weapons like Quelaag's furysword where you have no clue how to make it and the whole weapon upgrade system in general that's crappily explained, yeah you can beat the game without ever looking anything up but it's kinda pointless and tedious

Run around unarmoured until you have to fight something that can actually hit hard lol.

Hell, Havel folds like a bitch to fast roll.

Hate those dart fags. Go into Blighttown through the back with your shield up and a few blooming purple mosses to score some godly loot, then come back later to actually clean the place up.

I do enhanced clothes, protects like medium armor and I can fast roll like a mofo. Plus elemental and magic resistances. Feels good, man. I mostly walk around with all three types of magic and a zwei equipped, but I use a shield for some bosses.

Fucking triggered

Nah. Mostly I avoid going to blighttown straight away now and instead get the Bone Dragon Items, dick about in Darkroot killing Havel and Black Knights. Then I'll go for Hydra if I got lucky on drops.

Last time I fought Taurus Demon I could easily face him directly. Even Capra with his doggus gets fucked if I use two-handed with buffs.

>pick a direction a go straight
Not really. All of the paths out of Majula ramp up in difficulty. If you just stick to one from the start, you're eventually going to get stuck on something. You're meant to explore the beginning of each path and see which is easiest for your build, and save the hardest path til last, just like Demon's Souls. They even put items in one path that are super effective in other paths to encourage this approach, for example, the pre-infused Magic Mace in Huntsman's Copse that absolutely destroys the Ruin Sentinels, an otherwise tricky boss.

>no different than das3
It's completely different. There are 5 ways out of Majula and they're all available after killing 1 boss. Yeah it gets super linear after Drangleic Castle but DaS3 is that linear for the whole damn game. In DaS3 you HAVE to go High Wall, then Settlement, then Road of Sacrifices, every playthrough starts out the same. You can decide to do Catacombs before COTD, but you can't progress so there's no point. You can skip the Dancer to get to Upper Lothric early, but again there's just a locked door. The only progress decision you make in the whole game is whether to do Yhorm or Aldrich first.

you're right it is different, every zone in 3 is well designed and fun to play through, whereas almost every zone in 2 sucks dick and the bosses are crap

>it's kinda pointless and tedious

By opposition to looking up things on a wiki and follow instructions instead of playing the game and experimenting?

As I said, it's like you don't like the game, but want to play it anyway. Which is weird to me.

>Stuff like what weapon to use

The ones you're comfortable with. I ended up with the Gravelord sword as my main weapon. Can't say if it's good or the best. But I was comfortable with the moveset, and once I found it it hardly ever left me. Before that it was the axe.

You don't need to hyper-optimize.

there's been one clone so far and it was shit

they've made a successful franchise out of it, but it's not as high quality and demons souls and dark souls because now it's shovelware

so not really

dark souls had the best map and nothing has come close

I always like how different people end up focusing on a specific weapon type. For me it was all about bastard swords and polearms.

I used the claymore on my first playthrough. That character somehow ended up using the lifehunt scythe in successive NGs though.

I have a friend who's shield and spear all the way. It's nice how differently people can play the same game.

> black knight halberd + light shield.

>every zone in 3 is well designed and fun to play through

>Road of Sacrifices
>Farron Keep
>Carthus
>Smoldering Lake/Demon Ruins
>Irithyll Dungeon (aka Tower of Latria PG-13 Edition)
>Unfinished Capitol

>well designed

???

>impyling you're supposed to know anything
>In a game about ambiguity and exploration

all good zones with consistent themes and good design, yes.

the only good level in 2 is eleum loyce

>Sweet ass bone dragon loot
Yeah, that's what my dexfag alt is rocking right now. Decent shield to go with her rapier and can still fastoll, soul level is only 7. Good shit.

Well then I don't know what to say. If you think Farron Keep is a good level, your taste is so awful that you simply can't be reasoned with. Have a nice day user.

There's been more than one. I'm guessing you're only counting LotF and not indie titles for some arbitrary reason, but even the next game from the devs of LotF looks like a Souls clone but in space this time. Guess they've been looking at Cred Forums threads.

>giant lake with random ruins
>POISON giant lake with random ruins
>copy paste hallways
>another giant lake, but now there's copy paste hallways below it
>I don't know why irithyll is bad

you don't even need a discussion to realize profaned is shit