Steam Refunds

>*Play game for 1 hour and 50 minutes (possibly even beat the game in this time)*
>"I've had enough of that. Give me my money back, Steam."
>*Gets refund*

Why is this allowed?

Other urls found in this thread:

accc.gov.au/media-release/federal-court-finds-valve-made-misleading-representations-about-consumer-guarantees
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If your game is shorter than 2 hours for the average player then it deserves to be free.

>Buy game
>Play for short amount of time
>Huh, I want my money back
>Get it back

Why is this allowed?

If someone is of that mindset they'd just pirate it in the first place

That's why you gotta put in a lot of unskippable cutscenes and filler in your game

Because

>buy ps4 with lastofcunts,bluntbored,unfarted
>play everything through in under 2 weeks
>get a refund without questioning
Why is this allowed?

Because... it's the fucking law?

Yes refunds are the law, every single business must offer refunds within two weeks or it is illegal.

>inb4 some corporation defending cuckwad claims refunds aren't the law

if you can finish a game in 1h 50m on your first playthrought without a guide and it doesnt have any replay value, your game its shit.

the only bad thing about refunds on steam its that gone home was realesed before they were implemented.
>$20 for a game you finish in 40 mins without guide.

>Make a copycat game from something out of Newgrounds
>Sell it on Steam
>It's literally a flash game with a price tag
>It can be completed in half an hour
>People refund it
>REEEEEEEEEEEE
>Complain on 4chin

fpbp

Stop trying to con people with babby length games then crying when they want their money back.

There's no reason for refunds not to exist. You can't get cards before 2 hours, and if the game is so bad that you're done with it in 2 hours, like everyone else is saying, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Puppygames whiny bullshit was a prime example. Their games are barely more than flash games, they're all ultra-arcadey bite sized games. Which is fine, except the price tag is retarded and they have no reason to cost any amount of money over $0.00 , they're fucking flash games.

>Be publisher
>Tell developer to make great game with poor budget
>Game 20% complete
>first 2 hours seem pretty solid, captivating
>Release it, money's coming regardless

Or just be Bethesda and release mindless openworld fps, people know it's shit before buying, why would they refund.

why do people even respond to these threads anymore?
Surely you didn´t all have the fortune of never seeing one before, did you?

also
>$20 for a game you finish in 50 seconds with a guide

why do you care

probably, the process of pirating, playing, getting sick of it and deleting is certainly faster than waiting for the refund approval and buying something else.

>This burger I am eating is delicious, but damn it is rather small.
>Thus it should be free!

genius!!!

>paying for games you can speedrun

That strangely is a recurring theme of all these recurring threads.
Or is it... ?

Enjoy your brown lipstick

>this meal you sold me is labeled "sample"

>food analogy
also, physical materials always have some inherent value, time has value only if you spend it well

If you play an indie game and you like it, you should pay for it.
Don't be a fucking jew.

A snack rather

Are there any games besides sandboxes you cannot speedrun, user?

if i play a game that had absolutely 0 effort put into it, i'm not going to pay for it. make a better game, jew

>every single business must offer refunds within two weeks or it is illegal.

Literally not true in Ireland & mosre than likely Europe in general. Now if you mean online only then there is a cooling off period but I dont know the stipulations there.

Because noone wants to make demos anymore

it's allowed because if you abuse it they ban your ability to refund games

>food analogy

Every time.

>hipster pushes meme game through steam greenlight
>it's basically walking down a straight line while being lectured about white privilege through an hour of cutscenes
>not a single promised feature that was shown in trailers or the steam page
>"so what if I'm charging 30 dollars for it, this 1.5 hours of enjoyment is worth much more because it's artistic and deep!"

>If you play an indie game and you like it, you should pay for it.
Yeah, but how am I supposed to know if I'll completely like the game if there's a lot of titles in the pool of vidya that "take time to master"?

If plane inspectors were told "YOU GET 2 HOURS TO INSPECT THIS PLANE AND THEN YOU HAVE TO DECIDE AFTER THAT TIME PERIOD WHETHER OR NOT IT IS FIT FOR FLIGHT", we'd hear about many more plane crashes.

>food analogies
This place never changes

A friend of mine said how great borderlands 2 is, and made me buy it.
Then was like, "I haven't bought it yet, I'd but my credit card is blocked"
so I just play it solo for like 2 hours. Decide I don't like it and about to refund when that fucker goes, "Atleast play co-op? Steam can make exception"
Play it with him for another hour and don't like it.
It's still not fun and now I'm stuck with it, since Steam said, "No Refund."

Would Steam take Milagro Man's money?

>Buy game because of hype
>Realize 1 hour in, the hype wasn't real, game is an utter turd
>Get refund
>Spend it on a game that wasn't an utter turd

Thanks OP, just requested a refund, I had forgotten all about this.

oh, I get it, you are just a liberal idiot.
fuck off and die then.

are you an actual retard?
you check the reviews, see the trailer and you decide to buy the game.
Also, if you didn't like the game, no big deal, it's just a fucking video game, you play it to have fun. It's not a fucking airplane where hundreds of people's lives depend on it.

Jeez

snake oil. That's why.

>but damn it is rather small

Oh you mean like those free samples they hand out at the supermarket?

The trick is to charge a small amount of money. If you're game is less than 2 hours in length, charge less that $3 for it. Only hyperjews will refund it and you'll still make money.

>it's just a fucking video game, you play it to have fun
And if a game isn't valued for its fun at 2 hours, but is after playing it for several hours after that, how can I make that judgement unless I play it for several hours first?

>customers have rights and are able to refund something they bought and didn't like within a sensible timeperiod

Why is this allowed?

just requested a refund for doom because i have a gtx960
shame. i was really enjoying the first mission
the second mission ran like shit though for some reason

Then the game did a very bad job at hooking you in it.

Also what about really small in length games that you can beat in an hour or so?

Are those games doomed by default??

You have seven days 168 hours of play time you can have before you cant return games at other stores.
In reality steam is fucking you over by not allowing you the same courtesies as a normal sales company.
4/10 bait made me reply

Yup. Better start planning more content.

Steam should have a separate review qualifier for people with arcane technical issues. Even the most well optimized games always have a review along the lines of

>Game doesn't start on my toaster 0/10

And the game's score goes down for reasons totally out of control of the developer and regardless of the game itself.

> game has no demo
> it may not work on your machine even if you meet the system requirements
> game might be crap to you regardless what reviews might say
> you're able to refund the game and spend money on something that's worth it
that's great

Happy customers don't return games. If you're a game developer and refunds put you out of business, it means your business was unable to survive without unhappy customers, which means your business was thriving on buyer's remorse.

Holy shit so all this shit games i dont play i can refunds for?

LETS GO

>Are those games doomed by default??
Yes, because unless it is the most innovative title to date, I can guarantee there are dozens of clones like it for cheaper/free.

Because it's a good idea, if people still released demos or advertised their game without bullshitting it wouldnt be necessary

DUDE
FOOD
LMAO

>spend 40-60 dollars on a game
>completely different than what's shown in advertisements
>can complete it in an hour
>no replay value
Hurr durr steam refund killing the industry

>what are consumer rights

It was designed with larger games in mind, not babies first indie game.

We all know Valve is too lazy to hand it case by case, so they set a single standard.

>steam's refund policy is actually illegal in australia
>they're literally getting investigated by the Australia Consumer Commision, and will likely get btfo
Feels good having a gov that gives a shit about its citizens

>Source: My Arse.
Okay, m8

Only within two weeks and less than two hours played. I tried refunding Nuclear Throne last night because it doesn't start on my new PC. I'd only played a total of 45 minutes since I purchased it last December and my request was denied. It looks like they're being a lot more strict about refunds than they were when this whole thing was first started.

yes

I think that's a clear abuse of the refund system.
It's there to prevent false advertisng being profitable and as a recourse for people who buy a game only to find it doesn't work.
It's not for a 2 hour demo.

So... small $1, $2 games that are just 2 hours long should just vanish???

That's unfair. Some of them small games are quite fun for just a playthrough.

I think that steam's refund policy should only apply for games with an original price of $10 and more.

>So... small $1, $2 games that are just 2 hours long should just vanish???
>vanish
They should appear in Kongregate.com and Newgrounds.com like before hipsters took over the industry.

>steam makes a return policy that is decent and not anti-consumer
>some autist still has to whine about it on Cred Forums

If steam was truly pro consumer you can bet the literal cuckolds on here would be against it.

Companies have trained them well. Refunds are bad and you should just eat up any shovelware they push out.

If you're gonna be a faggot and use a food analogy, use a more accurate one.
Most often the >burger
is advertised by size and quality, and if you go to a restaurant and get a burger and dislike it of course you'd get your money back.

Journey wasn't much longer than that and still it was worth it's price. I played God Eater 2 70 hours on the other hand and I still think that it wasn't worth 40 bucks.

>that is decent
>arbitrary 2 hours rule for every game
I love steam refunds but come on be real.

AAA garbage should be given a 6 hours timeframe.
Strategy games should be given at least 3 hours.

The refund system is a start but it needs refinement so I can refund AAA garbage I don't like-.

jdjdjdj

>food analogy

Fat asses of Cred Forums kek

Journey was a meme game.

2 hours is plenty of time to demo a game
when demos were on disc they would only let you do 1 or 2 levels or play for like 10 minutes.

>buy a pair of headphones advertised to be the best ever!!1
>They're shit
>get your money back

Why is this allowed?

2 hours is such little time that you would be fooled by the Fallout 4 meme just like it happened. Devs put lots of content in the first few hours and then drop it all up

accc.gov.au/media-release/federal-court-finds-valve-made-misleading-representations-about-consumer-guarantees

>implying it was delicious in the first place

Why is it allowed to charge more than $5 for a game that can be 100% completed in under two hours?

You know, it used to be you could rent games for like 5 full days for $5. Games that you may not even finish in that time. Price your shit right and people wont feel ripped off. Not like you'll miss refunding the lower price, either. It's a win win.

>game
It was a jumping and walking simulator in Cred Forums neospeak. It was a good jumping and walking simulator though.

>have less than optimal PC
>looking at GAME
>GAME has no trial
>GAME requirements are all met
>alright I'll buy and see how it runs
>surprise it runs like shit despite having above minimum requirements because LOL PC
>refund it because it's an unplayable mess
>buy it on console

This was me with Overwatch. Game isn't well optimized at all.

oh, seems I was wrong and unnecessary cruel to you, sorry

I can't feel bad for you user. If your PC is lacking, you could have spent the money you spent on your console improving your terrible computer.

>a gov that gives a shit about its citizens
>australia has feminisim being taught in schools

Are you having a giggle, mate?

overwatch ran at 60 frames on my nvidia 650M. a 5+ year old low-range mobile graphics chipset

you are moran

Here's my thought process.
There's a game on steam for a dollar where you just mash the spacebar to fucking jack off without getting caught by your parents
It can be beaten in less than 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, on Newgrounds for free, you have Abobo's Big Adventure, an impressive and decently lengthy flash game that's FREE.

Now explain to me why I wouldn't regret my purchase when buying games that have less quality than free newgrounds games?

>preorder No Man's Sky
>as more and more trailers/gameplay come out it looks like garbage
>get refund
>No Man's Sky releases
>it's shit
Dodged a bullet.

what law?

I bought my PS4 for $250 from a friend.

$250 won't buy me a rig that can run Overwatch at the same visual quality.

Also fuck off.

I have a laptop for video editing purposes mostly. It has an intel Core i5. If I remember correctly that was minimum requirement.

It'll upgrade the rig you have pretty nicely though. That's the whole point of a PC - you don't have to replace the whole thing in one go.

You can refund lots of products you buy, why not games?

I could spend 20 minutes just fucking around with options. 2 hours is nice but it could definitely be better. I'm still happy that valve made an actually pro-consumer move for once.

You can't resell an eaten burger though.

They eventually made it so that No Man's Sky could be refunded regardless of playtime and date of purchase anyway.

Pretty much the point I was trying to get across. Throw in the 60 dollars annually you pay for your own internet service and the price hike in games and I really can't feel for dude.

>*action*

Greetings, fat Redditor.

if you think a mobile i5 not being able to run a 2016 shooter is "poorly optimized" you've got another thing coming

no but a lot of store have to take in food that has been opened and eaten if there is at least some left on the reasoning that the customer could say something was wrong with it

If you'd like to play that way: Most restaurants list the size of their burgers, game distributors do not list the length of the game.

Found the autist.

With all the trash that gets greenlit on the steam store, you have to ask why a refund system is necessary? It should have been implemented years before valve went through with it.

If the minimum settings say I can run it it should mean that I can run it.

Shit was unplayable.

I can tell you thats false. Most either avoid it because morals or because steam is less of an hassle for them.

Mind you these people dont know what an VPN is nor do they know how to find pirate sites.if they do get a torrent they'll most likely get daemon tools lite.

>Games = Food

never change, Cred Forums.

You are a fucking idiot m8. You literally deserve to be beaten up for being so stupid. If God exists, he hates you.

If a game is short enough to be beaten in an hours it shouldn't be sold.

I'd pay a buck for Downwell for instance, because it's quality and takes a long time to get good enough to beat.

It's like when someone promises you a good analogy but they give you a food analogy instead.

and what makes food analogies not good analogies?

To ask for a food analogy that's good is like asking for good meatloaf made of shit.

Not everyone is shit dev like you op some people actually makes great games.

>even the retards like this who complain about food analogies continue to use them in their posts

food analogies are alway bad and unrelated and always involve trying to get something because you didnt like the food not liking food you ate is not the same as not liking a game you played

>buy superhot
>play through the entire game in an hour
>mess around in the bonus rooms for another hour
>refund the game anyway because the ending credits had like a stupid ass viral marketing "most innovative shooter in years" redditbait meme

i win

That is true.

Ive found myself just not refunding short games because they are like a dollar.

>buy game at Gamestop
>play it for 1 hour and 50 minutes and realize you don't like it
>return it within 7 days
>gets refund
Why is this allowed?

>buy meme game and plan to play it for under two hours
>end up finding it so fun, I played for 5 hours
>the game costed $60

Ughh wait so that new mankind divided dlc is rumored to be pretty short - can I play through it in under 2 hours and refund it? I loved all dx games and bought MD straight away, but damn I'm pissed off with squeenix sales policy. Cunts..

It took D:OS2 10min to hook me. And thats an unfinish early access game. If a game cant do it in 2 hours a refund is more than deserved.

>Buy The Last Station
>Great atmosphere, story, music, etc.
>Game has the biggest buzzkill ending ever
>Check time played
>3 Hours
>My face

God damn it that was not worth what I paid.

You're on Cred Forums. You're in the wrong fucking place if you're not an autist.

when the f p

is the b p

So fat when you compare video game you see food

FAT AMERICAN

USA

FOOD EAT ALL DAY

FAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT

I guess you are American

I'd draw you a picture of the joke going over your head but the image would be too large to upload.

Honestly, the experience is what counts. The game can be short as much as it can be.
BUT, you're in a market where lenght and the price/quality ratio are very important. Lenght and Technical playability are as important as the film reel and the projector for a movie.

>Le memes xD the post

>le memes xD the post

It's the smoke, I had the same glitch. You should have turned off the shaders and I think set the texture streaming to low. I'm surprised people are still getting that issue, I noticed it at laucnh and had to turn off shaders manually in the Nvidia control panel.

Why are food analogies bad again?

Kys fatty

Because no one wants to hear about how much of a fat ass you are

Most people won't refund short games if it left a good impression on them. If your game isless than 2 hours long and it left the owner with such a bad taste in their mouth that they actually want a refund, then that's on you.

>when you use a food analogy and try to keep playing it off as a joke 3 posts in

I look at computers and see food.

what part of that is a meme you dunce?

You typically can't refund DLC, I think ARK: Survival Evolved's expansion was noteworthy for being refundable.

That's not technically true, that's why they clarified it on the Steam store page. Its common knowledge that everyone gets one "freebie" refund, this was the case even before the refund policy. Most people used their first refund on No Man's Sky and it went through regardless of time played, because that was their free refund. They thought it had to do with the game itself when it likely wasn't related.

I AM FAT FUCK

I AM SO FAT I EAT VIDEO GAMES

IMAGINE BEING SO FAT YOU LOOK AT VIDEO GAMES AND SEE FOOD

>March

Well, they're certainly sitting on their hands.

I feel like they should get rid of the two week limit on refunds. Not everyone has tons of time to play games and for some people two hours in one game could easily be spread out over the course of a month or more. I own several games that I bought last year that have less than one hour play time.

Is talking about you?

>people refunding games that are less than 5 dollars
nice waste of time

the UK and australia cried about steam not having a refund policy. they say you have to allow us refunds or face us suing you for all the monies our people have ever paid you

value puts in place a return policy that the refund has to be requested within 2 hours or 14 days which ever comes first

>there are people who could be like this

I dont get what they mean by, 'abuse'. I dont know how much you need to be gaming the system for them to revoke it

Just deny refunds for any person that has the "completed game" achievement.

>game is hilariously short, like Gone Home
>accidentally beat it
>you get the achievement

Wrong move bucko.

>developers start implementing that achievement as soon you hit start

No option is going to be perfect, retardo. There are too many variables and no 100% generalities blah blah. Use your head, fool.

>>developers start implementing that achievement as soon you hit start
Sounds like a wonderful opportunity to remove their shit from the store, ban them and give people the refunds anyway.

What an asshole dog, they put that mat there for a reason

>No option is going to be perfect, retardo.
You want an option that can be abused the least. A game who claims to have alot of replayability, for example, will give you the cmpleted game achievement after maybe 20 minutes of gameplay, and Valve won't take it down from the store.

What then?

>game distributors do not list the length of the game.
Developers always brag about game length before release if it's more than 10 hours.

>Radiant quests adds infinity hours!
>Final Fantasy has over 80 hours of gameplay!
>Witcher 3's sidequests adds at least a 100 hours!
Shit like that.

Short games don't, because it's not a selling point.

>A game who claims to have alot of replayability, for example, will give you the cmpleted game achievement after maybe 20 minutes of gameplay
What games do this?

Don't say shit like shmups because the difficulty makes those last longer than 20 minutes a run unless you're already an expert on them.

>What games do this?
Gone Home for example. Even if you don't use a guide, the game is hilariously short for 20 dollars. I'm talking maybe one hour if you're slow and refuse to use guides.

So that scenario you just used is going to be the majority of abuse cases?... Sounds like some shit that is in the extreme minority.

Gone Home isn't made for replayability.

they can take a look at your purchase history and your refund history. If every game you played in a while was refunded, that is probably abuse

no one can be that stupid about buying games they don't like

That isn't an example of dev's abusing consumers. Or are you talking about consumers abusing dev's?

It took me 7.5 hours to find every last secret and read every bit of journal what are you on about?

Gone home took me 51 minutes. I'm pretty sure I found everything. How on earth did you spend almost an entire work day's worth of time milling around that house looking at props?

>Gone Home isn't made for replayability
Then they shouldn't charge 20 dollars for a glorified tech demo with meh writing.

How about the meme games like "Shower with your Dad" Simulator? Or I am Bread? Which can be completely hilariously easily and in a short amount of time, but asking way too much for games you should pay me to play.

And have we forgotten about developers who sue customers that give them negative reviews?

Then why does it cost 20 dollars?

Gone Home and Hitman Absolution are the only two times I can remember wanting a refund on steam. Shame they both came out long before steam refunds became a thing.

Because people are willing to pay $20 for it.

>The MADMAN posts a FOOD ANALOGY

I Am Bread qualifies are more than a meme game. It's got tons of modes, score challenges, and replayability. If you haven't tried the Zero Gravity mode you're missing out.

And other people are willing to want refunds on it.

Whose rights are more important?

If you can't keep someone's attention for more than 2 hours maybe you shouldn't have made a shitty game.
>Waaah, entitled gamers are taking my money that I deserve because of the artistic merit in my walking simulator.

No one in their right mind keeps a game they have finished unless it's replayable.

The consumer of course.

I was just saying why it cost $20

It's not even a physical thing. Refunds should be easy and painless.

tfw short story "experience" style games are going to be caked with long walks and slow sections to force a 2+ hour time played no matter how fast you speed through it

Serious question: Should Tetris be free?

whats wrong with that not that I agree with his statement or anything.

It has endless replayability
Ive spent hundreds of hours playing it

If your game can be completed in under 2 hours then you didn't put enough effort into the game.

Nope. It's not public domain.

rewrite the EU consumer laws if you don't like it

I have nearly 400 hours of Memelands 2, and it's something that ashames greatly.

And I was saying why people wanted refunds.

If the developer has the right to charge that much money for a game, the customer has a similar right to want a refund.

but thats just reinforces his point

>Food analogy

steam is absolutely filled with shovelware crap

Every single video game store be it retail or digital is. You ever looked in a bargain bin?

>Buy clothes
>Wear them for thing you bought them for.
>Bring them back next day with no required reason for full refund.

This is allowed.

>implying women ever return clothes

It is. I have done it.

HAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAAHAHAHAHAH

I make £600 a year as the CEO of ASDA. I did an actual fucking spit take when I saw this post. 10/10.

I've worked here for four years and I honestly can't remember a single refund for someone who does this regularly who isn't female. Women do this. Lots of women do this. An incredible amount of women do this every fucking goddamn day and we're in the countryside, its 50 times worse in a city. There's even a fucking in-house term for it: Mr Benns.

It shouldn't be. People who take advantage like that are scum.

Your own mother probably did this. I don't mean that as an insult, but she did. it's a female thing. Its like speeding: every shitty human being does it.

It shouldn't be, I agree, but it is and retail has managed to survive the bitches, so will video games. You don't need to pretend this is any different, you just have to adapt in similar ways.

>buy keyboard advertised to have feature
>keyboard does not have feature
>ask for refund
>send keyboard back
>they send me a replacement that still doesn't have the feature
I should have never trusted Monoprice

>Buy anything from China
>Amazed anything arrives at all
>When/if it has, its always been either: not the thing ordered, or the thing's accessories without the actual thing that costs money.
>They want you to pay to send it back to china.
>if you're stupid enough to do so, they'll claim it never arrived.

At least I know the stupidest thing I've ever done now, I feel your pain.

holy shit who cares

You're thinking of shoes user. Easy mistake.

The reason Australian Steam is in USD is because Valve is trying to skirt Australian law